Does Open World pvp in games even exist anymore?

I miss the days of WoW when you could go out in contested zones and expect to see enemy faction to kill/gank. And how it could at times start a literal ground war that lasted hours. Nowadays you rarely see enemy faction outside in contested zones and killing them or even remotely attacking them cause them to panic and run off.

TL:DR My only question here is, is there a decently populated open world game that has functional world pvp? Doesn't need to be just an MMO. Can be a shooter. Just any game with Ganking in the open world that doesnt suck.

Other urls found in this thread:

returnofreckoning.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=os6sl4VmGaU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It would be cool if there was World PVP for a shooter, but where it's realistic so that it's up to gun selection and skills to win the day.

It's such an untouched market with a lot of potential

I didn't get in to WoW early enough to experience proper world PvP but earlier this year, me and a friend started a world PvP guild and it was a great success. We'd attack the Shrine in Pandaria for hours in a huge group, we even attacked Warspear too (ally fag) for about an hour before they finally started killing us. gud times.

No because it's not marketable faggot. Even if you make it optional and add it as a server, it's just not going to populate and will just be boring for those who are interested in World PvP. The rest of the community will just flood the RP/PvE server because all that MMOers want to do include dressing their characters sexy, idle all day at main cities, and ERP with one another.

WoW world PvP was garbage though, mainly because it mostly fell to gear/level in contested zones aside from the occasional skirmish, and even then those were retarded because people would just brainlessly throw eachother at the opposing force with no objective, nothing at stake, and swift respawns.
Also the PvP in WoW is really quite terrible.

I would like to see a game with good world PvP, but I'm not a game designed and have no fucking clue what genre it could be or how it would work.

PlanetSide 2 has nothing but endless world pvp

Day Z?

You can play online, explore around, shoot people, etc.

WoW tested the waters of making world pvp a bigger part of the game but they kept it limited. An entire game based on a decades long conflict between two major alliances and yet they kept pvp to a minimum.

Technically Eve Online and Spacecowboy Online/Ace online have world pvp, though the areas themselves are split and have a "portal" to go through first.

In my experience world pvp is 95% ganking/griefing.

>WoW tested the waters of making world pvp a bigger part of the game
You mean that most MUDs, Ultima Online, and pretty much every SOE game didn't have world pvp as a large part of the game?

The game that did it right and made it the funnest was DC Universe Online. Shit was mad fun and the only MMO that I actually leveled all the way through.

My friend and I would take on 5 people and still win. I don't remember the characters exactly but he had fire powers and some dual wielding weapons so he was tanky as fuck and did massive damage. I had the bow so I could stay out of range and CC people + I had the abilities to heal so I could CC and heal my friend.

These feels are overwhelming.

planetside 2?

Are you stupid?

keep an eye on Escape from Tarkov. Don't have high expectations but it might be worth playing at release.

>tfw games like this will never return
>tfw we'll forever be stuck in a wasteland of themepark

it doesnt in WoW thats for sure
its only people fucking up what ever lowlevels are doing

Don't most games punish you for world pvp now like they'll have the guards attack you or you drop extra loot

obvious ones are
EVE Online
Wurm Online
Mortal Online

EVE Online.
That's about it.

EVE Online. One of the things that makes it interesting is how it balances this.

>though the areas themselves are split and have a "portal" to go through first.
Huh? You can PvP anywhere in EVE at all. The only differences between areas are that in some areas there are system enforced economic consequences. You're still free to do it though, and every negative can be made back up if you want too given time/money. So it just becomes a matter of cost/benefit, which is how open world PvP needs to work to be fun. OWPVP does not need to equal "anarchy".

camelot unchained star citizen crowfall will save us user

>like they'll have the guards attack you
High security vs low/no security zones have been a thing basically forever, it's an obvious concept given that's how it always worked IRL too. That's not inconsistent with World PVP by itself so long as it's sensible within the mechanics of the world. Ie., you get in trouble if the guards see you or if it happens in some city/town or something since someone reports you, but not if it happens in the forest and you leave no survivors. Or some other polity or whatever.

Have you played legion?
WQ are just gankfests and the underbelly is usually full of groups beating shit out of eachother

those Machs are bombing Reykjavik user

DarkScape

CCP had it coming and are hidden in their shielded underground facility anyway. Joke is on the Machs though, that picture is from an instant before a bunch of Polaris rapeships jumped in and sodomized them all.

RvR will always be the best type of open world PvP

this
come play friends!
returnofreckoning.com/

Planetside 2 is great but it isn't an MMORPG.

thanks user
use commas so I know what to google next time, broski

one of the things i really miss about ArcheAge.

You need a few things for good PvP that WoW doesn't have:
>Ways to mitigate 100% damage while dealing damage (dodging, blocking, evasion) not based on procs/cooldowns or stats.
>Enough damage to kill someone quickly without relying too heavily on cooldowns if offense is adequate.
>Balanced enough PvP that a much better player can potentially take on a few opponents at once and have the potential to win.
>Minimal cc.

this too

Oh my god you're making me miss all that ocean sailing so much now. Raiding ships and taking their cargo was so much fun.
youtube.com/watch?v=os6sl4VmGaU

yea, that was fucking cool, too. or sick-ass aerial battles. i wish my guild hadn't disbanded while i wasn't able to play

>you'll never take your 49 twink into Hellfire and gank leveling clothies again
FUCK
I DIDN'T WANT THIS FEEL AGAIN TODAY

>twink

what are you gay

They said shooter you POS

Never played it but man did it seem interesting. It's basically a RS that everyone talked about and It's something so many people wanted yet when it came to it no one cared and they just shut it down.

Aion was one of the last games I played that felt like it had actual world PvP, the Abyss was basically a war zone every time I had to quest there and entire Legions would sit on rifts 24/7 trying to buttfuck the questing areas.

>barely venture into enemy faction lands
>still have to stay on guard because of pirates, enemy guilds, people wanting my shit, or just plain shit-starters
It was interesting. Didn't like pvp though. It was mostly a game of whoever could cc and stunlock first.

rift had pretty fun open world pvp

RIFT was a good game. Was. ;_;

I'd say the only good pvp in the game was in Hasla when you had both factions fighting an open war.

The piracy shit was cancer tier.

I heard both rift and AION were really good games. They seemed like good classic mmos. What were some things that stood out about them?

huxley was suppose to be that but i bet your too young to know what that was

I'll agree Hasla fighting was fun.
How was ocean combat cancer? Why do you think that?

Shiit, not that guy but I remember seeing that thing fly around all the MMO sites at the time. There was promise of Multi platform and each platform had their specific race. Super awesome idea. I just know people would be shitters about it but I would have adored that at the time.

RIFT had really good raid boss fights. I also like how the environments of their 'Heroics' were structured.

now it's more like never see opposing factio- oh shit phased with illidan time to log

rift was pretty good

>cancer tier
ebin non-opinion discarded

Not open sea combat, I'm mostly mentioning the pirate faction. Everyone could have giant sea battles, and for the most part I loved it, especially hooking some poor guy off the boat into our boat for a beatdown.

However, the faction is pretty much built on being a fag who just ganks lowbies or does really easy pvp like 5 on 1 combat. I never really saw great pirate raids, just people killing lowbies in the first pvp area, since usually if they tried doing shit in equally leveled areas both factions shut them down hard.

I'd say the game would have been much better with just the 2 factions constantly being at war instead of random the faction being thrown in.

The majority of people who wanted an action PvP online game switched over to first-person shooters once the internet technology was good enough to handle them.

You want a game where anybody could go anywhere and kill whoever they want? Go hunt down Urban Dead and it's many clones, and see how they are doing.

Rift was great, until Trion decided to stiff non-patrons. Aion was decent, but I haven't played since 2013 or so. I'm thinking about giving Aion another try, but I don't even want to turn my pc on when I get home from work.

It was closer to PSO + UT in practice (and it was really, really fucking fun). The closest thing today would be Warframe, but it's not as fun.

Aion now has some kind of pve-only server for levelling where rifts don't spawn. It doesn't apply to the Abyss and any of the Post 50 Content though, that's all world pvp as usual.

You can also switch back to the regular servers while levelling whenever you want but if you encounter anyone from the other side you're just going to get instagibbed.