Golden Sun Thread

Just started playing this a couple hours ago. I'm having a blast. Just finished the first lighthouse, does it stay great? What does Cred Forums think about Golden Sun? How's the sequel?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2iVUSN3klJs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Saturos is the high point. Best boss theme, best difficulty, best battle. It's, quite literally, all downhill from here.

If you did Trent first I highly advise you to start a new game and head to Mercury first. If you do this you end up fighting him with an underleveled party and not enough Djinn to summon spam him to death. Trent-Skip Saturos is the only fight that requires a strategy and it's god damn fun.

>trent

It's been a while, man. I typed Tret the first time and then corrected myself because I'm retarded.

He was never terribly memorable, but I don't have a high opinion of the series in the first place.

Golden Sun used to be beloved by anyone who would talk about it, then the DS game came out and it was pretty lame. Then over the course of a few years, everybody decided the original GBA games were also lame and generic, and now Cred Forums hates it and can't disassociate it from the smashfags who won't shut up about Isaac in Smash.

This is an incredibly autistic post, though I wouldn't call it wrong. Still, you're a pretty huge faggot for seriously suggesting OP to restart the game just because a fight may have been easier than you think it should be.

>Not always skipping Tret to fight Saturos first so you can skip having to go all the way through the forest a 2nd time and also have Mia get in a few lines.
Fuck challenge, it's a matter of just doing it right.

OP playing on a phone. He should get a GBA and play it as it was intended.

WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS

>I'm having a blast. Just finished the first lighthouse, does it stay great?
First JRPG you've ever played, OP?

>All of Cred Forums is a big hivemind.
I'll give you that Dark Dawn disillusioned a lot of fans and that there are bandwagoner, but no more than that.

I picked it up as a kid and was blown away...and then annoyed within 30 minutes because the writing was abysmal and the progress I was making was really boring. My only RPGs at that point had been Pokemon and Mega Man Battle Network, but I was still disappointed. I dropped it around when the group reached the desert.

Years later I picked it up again because it was an acclaimed cult classic and I was just a dumb kid.

It still sucked. I liked it even less the second time despite beating it.

I'm gonna concur with and say Mercury Lighthouse is the high point of the first game. I liked Lost Age a bit more overall, but not by much.

>Golden Sun used to be beloved by anyone who would talk about it
Underage detected.

Babby's first Nintendo RPG. Overrated as fuck like Tales of Symphonia.

I loved the music to the series so much. Especially the battle themes.

The series has a lot of nostalgia for me. I just got it for Christmas without asking for it, so I had no expectations going into it. I liked the art style a lot as well as the use of psynergy to solve puzzles. I think The Lost Age was even better than the first. Dark Dawn was a complete disappointment for me though. I'm not going to say it was terrible, but it's just not as good or enjoyable as the others. That, and the disappointment that the story will most likely never have a conclusion...

Game is pretty fun. Or at least 11 year old me thought so. The story is extremely generic though and the characters are boring.

>"Instead of wasting 40 more hours just to be disappointed, replay two hours to get the most satisfying fight in the series."
>Autism.

If he was further or Golden Sun had more to offer I'd understand, but Mercury Lighthouse is the very start of the game.

Op here, I'll be pretty sad if it gets shit as the game goes on. I wanted to get into jrpgs and my friend suggested this to me. Know that someone pointed it out the writing is a little weird and the translations are kinda bad

No, that's Pokemon.
Golden Sun is GBAbabby's first traditional Dragon Quest knockoff. It's actually surprising that the same studio behind Shining and Mario Tennis produced this, it feels like a bad fanhack of Breath of Fire 2.

What about the translations?

I'm sure there are a lot of better options if you want to get into jrpgs. But in a way it might be good to try some mediocre games so you really appreciate the cream of the crop.

>does it stay great
OH SHIT NIGGER you are in for a ROLL

wait until you finish first game and start second

>that feel

Literally BEST fucking transition.

one of the best jrpgs ever made fuck what these shitters think

I don't disagree, but the grafix are pretty amazing (for the time), and that alone makes up for most of the flaws

>the music when first game ends
>the starting theme of Book II

youtube.com/watch?v=2iVUSN3klJs

I want to forget and replay.

This game is in my top 20 or may be 10 rpgs

first game is good, second game is great, third one is ok

The translation is actually pretty damn on-point. The problem is the dialogue is stiff and lacks character, even in Japanese.

The difficulty curve is kinda fucked, but the real problem is the writing and pacing. The entirety of Golden Sun 1 after Saturos is filler. The plot literally does not move forward until right at the end. The "End of Act 1" twist you're implicitly expecting (as in, the game going beyond what it set up in the intro) is the epilogue to 2.

If you don't give a fuck about story, the game is fine, but you're boned if you expect this game to go anywhere.

>go on the open world
>that music
>open up the map

came here just to post this

To me it feels like a bad dub. For example right before the Satoros (if that's how you spell it) fight Kraden just says "don't die". The wise old man of vale doesn't give you advice or say be careful. That just seems weird to me. I might be a faggot and be wrong since I just started.

The dungeons have some little puzzles and stuff which I appreciate. The battle system is actually really interesting due to the customization that djinn allow, however the game is ridiculously easy so it's all wasted - spamming basic attacks or spamming summons will result in an easy victory. I think the story/writing is subpar, but some people really like it.

hmm

>one of the best jrpgs ever made

maybe the second one

I really like the djinn system, I hope it comes back in another GS game or a spiritual successor

post best gba games

>I wanted to get into jrpgs and my friend suggested this to me.
Called it.

>one of the best jrpgs ever made fuck what these shitters think
So Golden Sun is the only JRPG series you've ever played?

>Two different Djinn cut damage by half or more.
>You can spam them every turn and just win.

Simply limiting Djinn would fix the balance immensely. Like, each character can only equip two at most, and Classes confer a much bigger stat boost. That way summons can't be spammed as much and require more planning: Lost Age's later summons would require the entire party to give up their Djinn for a turn.

It starts good, really good. But becomes boring later. I tried playing 3 times and never bothered to finish.

Astro Boy
Blender Bros
Klonoa 1 & 2
Mega Man Battle Network 1, 2, 3 & 6
MM Zero 1-4
Boktai 1-3
Car Battler Joe
Simple Series - The Itsudemo Puzzle
Sigma Star Saga
Scurge Hive
Rebelstar
Ninja Five-O
CT Special Forces
Lufia - Runes of Lore

And every Nintendo release on the system, but especially Drill Dozer.

Summon Night 1, 2, and 3.

mother 3
pokemon emerald
metroid fusion