Best game in the series isn't canon

>Best game in the series isn't canon

It's not actually better than Dead Rising 1, but still valid enough.

>Metroid Prime

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But EoSD is canon, what are you talking about?

>EoSD
C'mon user. no one thinks it's a bad game but it's nowhere near the top

I miss Yuuka so badly.

She's a interesting character that got ruined by secondaries

Perhaps the same could be said of all Touhou characters.

DEEPEST LORE

>best atmosphere
>best cast
>best gimmick aka no gimmick and gameplay
>okay soundtrack I'll admit the other games have better OST. I still love it to death though.
>game is semi-randomised and not completely static,meaning you rely a little more on skill and less on memorization.
>balanced shottypes

The only thing that ruins it is the lack of hitbox, that's about it.

meant for

>balanced shottypes

>not thinking they are balanced

>ReimuA
Good at stages, bad at bosses, okay bomb.
>ReimuB
Okay at stages, good at bosses, bad bomb.

>MarisaA
Good damage, bad range, okay bomb.
>MarisaB
Okay damage, bad range, best bomb.

>no visible hitbox

>Needing "good" bombs

when the fuck will ZUN make another game with playable Yuuka

or at least have her as a boss

fug dis

Why do you guys like Yuuka so much?
What makes her so special?

Her themes in LLS

She has green hair

>>best atmosphere
No that would be PCB, PoFV or MoF, they are great at portraying their respective seasons. IN is pretty good too, in a more rushed and hectic, midnight adventure kind of way.
>>best cast
I'd say SWR (best incident too). MoF if mainline only.

Best soundtrack is probably SA.

She beat the shit out of Alice so hard that Alice developed a complex over it and no longer tryhards in fights or danmaku.

>has GREEN shoulder-length sex hair
>she's cute
>she's fun to play
>I like her
>She's Yuuka
Yuuka!

Why is IN so popular?

Or why did Touhou take off in popularity around 6-7-8? Probably started with 6 because thats when they got on PC, but it feels like it waned in popularity after

IN was supposed to be the last 2hu game.
That's why ZUN put extra effort on it.
Also it got popular thanks to memes and that shitty bad apple PV.

What happened after IN then? ZUN made too much money?

Also the bad apple song was fun, but that came out quite a bit later didn't it?

>touhou

>only one game in the series
>it isn't canon

ZUN stopped making games, thinking that it'd die on its own.
But it got even more popular and he decided to keep making them.

Finally finished all of Stage 8, after taking a break to play some other things. This game is pushing me so hard, but I said the same thing of Stage 6 and 7, so I might make it if I keep at it like this!

>best atmosphere
>PCB
Maybe it's just me,but for some reason I didn't enjoy this game atmosphere at all. It felt melancholic, sad and slow at the same time,something I don't think fits in shmups.
The soundtrack didn't help its case for me either, having only a handful of tracks that I liked.
I don't hate them or anything, they just didn't sit well with me, while EoSD has a consistently good soundtrack all throughout in my opinion.

But I'll have to agree with MoF, it is my second favorite in terms of atmosphere.

Hello marisafag

SA is the best in the series, marred only by bombs being tied to power instead of it's own thing.

>How can it be the best anything when Okuu is easier than Orin?

YOU aren't canon!

Not him,although I do like Marisa quite a lot myself.

>people still bumping shotty's kuso thread
You lot simply refuse to learn.

Do I have to call MaZe again? Tell me, do I have to?

What is fallout new vegas

You can stop pretending now

You funny user.

I just wanna talk about 2hu man

Is that so bad?

You probably have to fuck off.

Reminder that Marisa is only 28.5714% as powerful as Alice.

She's also 100% more relevant.

You gleefully shitposted countless threads, you don't get to get pity.

I'll leave once you people grow a fucking brain. Which is good news for me because none of you are any closer to having done so than you were when Touhou threads first started being a daily thing.

Fuck off you fucking moron. It's your fault Touhou threads are fucking shit.

But user, MGS5 IS canon.

DDC > MS > SA

I need help finding this youtube video of badly drawn Marisa singing badly while playing an instrument while Alice is unamused.

Why is that a bad thing?
I liked how SA handled bombs.

The power/bomb system is retarded and turns the game into a complete bombspam mess.

>I fucking LOVE bumping horrible threads, holy shit, it makes me want to suck dicks

>Alice
>Not relevant

She was last in Soku user, compared to most other 2hus she has it easy.

Now if ZUN would remember Medicine existed...

You can, you know. Not bomb.

Soku is an old game user.

>metroid prime
>game

>my favourite passtime is letting good threads fall off to the side while continuously bumping the threads made by the second most notorious we have

>If I pretend it's not there, it doesn't exist

It might have been because I used Marisa-A, but bombing sometimes fucked me over because I would too far to be able to easily get power back, costing me the entire game. It's a really risky system, I prefer having static bombs where you can't screw yourself over any further than just running out of bombs.

You're the first most notorious, right?

>Cred Forums threads
>best at anything other than being shit

Does anyone have the webm where Sanae disappears from bombing?

Sorry, I accidentally a word there. Happens every now and then, particularly when you're in a high-quality thread, such as one made by the second most notorious shitposter (there, I didn't forget it this time) that we have. But hey, let's keep encouraging him. What's the worst that can happen?

@353515436
The only shitposter here is you, and it's always been you.

>good threads
Like filename and LOL threads?

But I thought that was what made it good, it gave you a large supply of bombs but also gave you a reason not to use them.
I don't get the spam thing though

Seriously why is this cat harder than the actual final boss of the game?

Wait, I have an idea. How about we bump this thread all the way to bump limit? That way, we can show the second most notorious shitposter we have that we love having him around! Surely, that will increase the general quality of Touhou threads, won't it? It's a fool-proof plan! After all, what other outcome could result from encouraging the shitposter that ruined each and every single thread we've had for the past year!? Nothing, I tells ya. Absolutely no other outcome. It's perfect!

>I used Marisa-A
How can you even play with her?
It's the most backwards ass shottype I've ever had the displeasure of playing.
Even fucking MarisaC is way better than her.

Touhou is about dodging, not using your bombs to kill bosses faster.

Spam is more viable in MoF than SA, but there are some sections in SA where you can just bomb and immediately get back the lost power from the enemies you killed with the bomb, letting you skip the section for free. I don't mind this to be honest, it let me skip Orin's Stage 6 attack if I had full power by bombing twice and immediately getting it back.

I had more trouble with Utsuho honestly. I'm not good at dodging a bunch of tiny bullets while moving at full speed, which means several of her cards fuck me to hell.

Yes! Like that! You brainless fools are the best! Now come, only 430 posts to go! We have to show our appreciation, you know!

But Okuu is very easy once you understand her hitboxes.

Orin on the other hand is literal hell with a shitload of tiny bullets and wheels coming at you.

She isn't.She has some impossible patterns,same as Utsuho, but at least she's bombable to death.

But SA gives you incentive to not do that since it lowers your power level when you do.
Maybe it didn't always work out well, but I still really like the concept.

She has eight bombs. That was the reason I chose her. I honestly didn't have too much trouble with her shottype, it's backward but I got used to it fairly quickly, you just have to try moving unfocused more often and unfocus whenever you get the chance.

Only issue I had was, as stated, bombing too much and being unable to climb back to full power, since she requires more power cards to get from 0-to-full.

Maybe I just never properly learned Utsuho's hitboxes. I'm very much a scrub.

Why not go full patchy?

Did ya notice my last post totally rhymed? I didn't even mean to do that!

But back to the main topic of the thread, we need to hurry up! 424 posts until bump limit! What's going to happen to us if the second most notorious shitposter we have thinks we don't want him here? Nothing good, nothing good at all! We need him! So move it! Full steam ahead!

@353516546
>we

This.

Patche a best shottype.
I got my 1cc with her yesterday!!!

I picked Alice first. I almost always stick with the first shottype I find myself complacent with, never really experimented that much in SA. I want to replay all the games and get 1ccs on different shottypes since I'm still too scrub to beat Hard or Extra but don't want to stop practicing, maybe I'll use Patchi then.

Congrats.

>mfw people say she's too hard

That's the spirit! Come on, guys, all together!

WHAT WORKS? TEAMWORK!

Because SA is not Radiant Silvergun.
You don't even need to use half of formations at all.

With that logic you don't need to use bombs, or even shoot

This is too slow! It's been like ten minutes or so (I'm not checking, lol) and we still have over 400 posts to make! We're going to get nowhere at this pace! We need something to give us some more speed.

Hey, shotty. Sorry to bother you when we're trying to make you feel better here, but can you give us a hand here?

I think what he's saying is some of Patchouli's formations outclass the others, you'll only be using a couple for 99% of the run.

Patchy shot is really neat, it reminds me of Hellfire for the Sega Genesis. I always thought being able to change your shooting direction like that was a neat concept.
It's too bad most of the characters in SA can only shoot straight forwards so the game can't really take advantage of it.

i'm not too familiar with touhou threads but am i correct in assuming this one is faggier than usual

No no no! Faster! FASTER!

Of course not! You can feel the sense of community OOZING out of this one!

That's not false.

Only because of the guy who keeps mass replying to everyone, don't give them even indirect attention if you can help it. This thread has actually been good otherwise since people are talking about the games.

She's really good against Parsee but the other bosses don't move around that much, so she ends up being kinda useless in the late game.

>This thread has actually been good
Ah, this guy gets it! You're a smart cookie! Do you want a cookie?

Except you don't get one because you don't get it. We're trying to make shotty feel special and wanted! AND YOU'RE SLACKING OFF! Get to posting to reach that bump limit! NOW!

GOD, I have to do EVERYTHING around here!

>You don't even need to use half of formations at all.
It's not about needing them,it's about how useful they are.
I typically use Fire and Water, which are your main shots, but Wood is amazing for shotgunning while Metal and Earth the ones I usually use when I run circles around the boss, to maximize the damage.

Pic related is an example of a boss that I take advantage of all the shottypes.

Is she the most mobile boss in the entire series?

Orin and Chen bounce around all over the screen in some of their spellcards.

What kind of game will Hemo make next?

Star Control 3 isn't the best game though.

Also, PC-98 2hu games are decent, give them a go, specially LLS

No, I'm being too harsh on you. Maybe it really is for the best if we just take our time with this. What was that famous quote? "A delayed gift to the second most notorious shitposter we have is eventually good, but a bad gift to the second most notorious shitposter we have is bad forever". I'm pretty sure it was something along those lines.

MS > LSS

>I'm going to try to ruin a thread by constantly shitposting because I think a random user is some shitposter I don't like! I just know it!
Wew lad

Eh, dunno.
Do you think that having the boss move around so much is good shmup design?

Don't reply to him, that's exactly what he wants.

EoSD is a less fun MS.

>game is semi-randomised and not completely static
Wow that's every game in the series you dumbass.

Marisafag here, PCB is actually my favorite game in the series.
Actually, despite you calling me out every other thread, I don't think you've every actually successfully pinpointed any of my posts.
You really suck at this, don't you?

It's good to have variety to keep players on their toes.

I will catch you someday!
or in your late night thread

Not really. We used to have good threads, but we've recently gotten an influx of shitposters and now good threads are the exception.
Welcome to Cred Forums.

Yeah, but people usually get frustrated and call them "gimmicks".

She's real easy to learn if you imagine her shottype as a folding fan.
Each time you press Shift+Z, it opens it little by little until you finally snap it back closed and open it again.

That's how I learned it at least.

That's some creative thinking.

Yes?
Not every boss can just stand staying stationary, and having bosses move in different and unique ways adds an element of strategy. I mean sure, sometimes it's bullshit cough cough Reimu's second non-card pattern IN but in most cases bosses that move around a lot have a very specific pattern that they follow. Chen and Orin are both perfect examples of this.
Besides, bosses that are hard to hit usually have lower health to compensate.

>run circles around the boss
Uh, when does this happen exactly? I can only think of one, maybe two cases where this is possible, but not entirely viable.
In first one you can just sit on her face and tap down away slowly.

Alternatively, you could sit in /jp/ and wait for the one good thread that happens once every 50 years.

Is Kagerou a good example?

You shouldn't listen to those dummies.

Kagerou is shit and is the most poorly designed stage 3 boss in the series, actually.

/jp/ actually has tons of good threads, they're just slow as fuck.

>Kagerou is shit
Delete this

You can do it effectively with "Jealousy of the Kind and Lovely" and "Midnight Anathema Ritual", on Easy and Normal.

Fine.
Kagerou's fight is poopy and was not made very well.

>Best game in the series isn't canon
What are you talking about nigger? Mystic Square IS canon.
And it will always be canon until something in the Windows era completely contradicts the plot of the game and forces ZUN to retcon it in favor of whatever the new thing is.

But I agree with MS being the best game. Amazing taste OP!

If is not something about his waifu, i will be disappointed.

Sounds like someone coulnd't git gud

Thanks

I just saw a hentai called "Tenioha" i swear the main girl is literally yuuka with black hair.

I've beaten DDC on Lunatic, I just think that Kagerou's fight is dumb and ZUN put very little consideration into it.

>Hey, crazy idea but hear me out here.
>What if, just what if, we had a boss, right?
>And she used red bullets
>on a red background
>and then turned into a giant red wolf to obscure her bullets even more?
>I know, I am an absolute mad man!

People bitch about Stage 5 UFO and then give Kagerou a free pass.

i started growing sunflowers because of Yuuka

>Bullets blending
That's part of some bosses and if you can't deal with it then don't blame the game.

MS has an entire stage based on this thing.

Hold up, I'm jus a fairy I can't remember names.

That's really nice user.

No, that's poor game design. Bullet should be easily visible in a shump where one hit means death. Even fucking Mystia, who's gimmick was cutting off vision to like 90% of the screen, had bullets that were clearly visible when they were in your field of vision. You can't hide poor decisions behind "oh it's just part of the boss", because then you are making these games into a sacred cow, immune to all criticisms.

If anything, Alice claiming to already know Reimu and Marisa only solidifies it canon status until something contradicts it hard.

What if Gensokyo had a hard reset and Alice retained her memories?

What if Squall actually died in the end of the first CD and the rest of it was a dream?

What is this?

>sacred cow, immune to all criticisms.
Reminds me of certain new game.

The one where she shoots hollow bullets at you that leave flower trails and the one where she shoots a rapid stream of bullets at you that send more bullets everywhere when they hit a wall.

While I usually play Marisa in most games, for SA I just used Reimu A/C since I have some trouble with streaming and gaping acts as like a crutch. It didn't help that Marisa A was the only Marisa I liked in SA. border between wave and particle is probably my favorite stage 4 spellcard in the series too.

To be fair, most criticisms of LoLK are in fact casuals looking for reasons to get mad. LoLK has its flaws, of course, but I almost never see them actually brought up.
It's almost as if Cred Forumsirgins are afraid of actually analyzing things and figuring out why things work and don't work, preferring to make things up to sound smart.

You should try Marisa C

So I figured I should finally start off with playing this damn series. I downloaded EoSD, PCB and IN thinking I might as well begin with them. I want to play with a controller since I'm garbage at using kb for precise movement like Touhou requires, so I slapped in a wired X360 controller, thinking it would require the least amount of setup. PCB and IN seem to be working fine (although I guess the experience could be improved if I could somehow adjust the angles for the analog stick so the diagonal directions would be a little 'wider'), but EoSD refuses to recognize the controller's analog sticks and dpad both (not that I'd ever use the latter). Does anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?

What if 2hu was not real and it was all nothing more than a fantasy created by a japanese drunkard?

What OS?

Yeah, SA Marisa is pretty bad.

I feel mixed opinions about this suggestion.
Marisa C as a shot is actually really fucking bad.
But her bomb is probably the best of the 3 Marisa bombs for survival, so there's that.

It's W10.

Now I remember. Huh, never thought of doing them that way. Usually bobbing and weaving while keeping constant lock works perfect for me. Then again, I main Reimu A

Open custom_e.exe and tick "No DirectInput Pad".

Tell me if it works.

There's your problem

Wow, thank you kindly, user. That worked.
Fug. If my old laptop hadn't shat the bed two years ago I would probably still be using 7, but I figured upgrading to 10 from the win8 my current cheap laptop came with couldn't make things any worse

I remember when I first played SA doing it that way seemed most natural. I only stopped doing it myself after I realized it didn't work on Hard.

>the entirety of dark forces/jedi knight

Then grab the ISO of Windows 7 with the ´Windows 7 ACTIVATION.exe´.

Don't mention it, been there myself actually.
I also have a shitty laptop, but thankfully I didn't "upgrade" to W10, otherwise I imagine it would have been hell trying to install DS3 drivers on that thing.

*Also a cracked version of Driver Reviver so you can get all the updates for your computer.

If all the Wild ARMs games are mutually canon, which is possible, Filgaia has been almost destroyed slightly more times than Hyrule.

Let's post completion charts. I'm obviously a piece of shit but you might not be!

>All that normal mode
Why don't you just invest that time into getting a lunatic run?

Sure. I haven't accomplished much recently, just got a Route A IN 1cc.

Because it's more fun to do it one step at a time.
>Oh well I started on Lunatic and got the 1cc in one week and also it was literally my first video game ever and I was only 3 years old.
Cool, you can lie on the internet.

>Why don't you just invest that time into getting a lunatic run?
Not him, but Lunatic isn't fun just yet.
Normal feels like the right amount of challenge, hard but not impossible, and you can overcome it with a little bit of practice.
Trying to 1cc Lunatic while you can barely 1cc Normal is like trying bang your head against the wall and expect it to break.

There's no need to use 1cc normal with every single shottype before you jump onto lunatic

Extra is easier than Lunatic, so might as well get it out of the way first, no?

But he has already 1cc'd normal with most shottypes.

>But he has already 1cc'd normal with most shottypes.
TRUE, but still, it is better to work his up to Lunatic, than just going straight at it.

I tried that in PCB, and while I did manage to reach Youmu in my first try, I did so using 5 continues and lost immediately after the fight started. And keep in mind that I did that with the currents skills I possess,which are good enough to reach Utsuho with 7 lives on Normal.
They're pretty good, but nothing spectacular compared to other players.

Because I generally can't get past Stage 3 on any game on Lunatic. I'm still not entirely comfortable on Normal, and getting a 1cc requires a lot of effort from me even on games I've cleared before. If I can start getting 1ccs on Normal without breaking a sweat, I'll probably move to Hard.

Shoot The Bullet 9-1 is hard guys

I know there are gaps in the bullets you need to search for and weave through to get close enough for a long-distance shot, but I can never get more than four.

You guys should never feel too bad about your skill. I'm and am currently familiarizing myself with EoSD Normal mode. So far the farthest I've made it to is stage 4 (with something like 48% game completion on the game over stats screen). I'm surprising myself in how fast I'm getting the hang of how to maximize my point gain in the first three stages so I can get more extra lives, but my skills in dealing with the bosses could use some work since I still occasionally goof and lose a life to Cirno, and Meiling can get really awry at times (I'm sticking to Reimu A so far, tried Marisa A once and did really fucking well until I got to Meiling. Marisa moves so fast even during focus that slipping past Meiling's patterns is the stuff of legends to me).

I have no idea when I should be bombing.

>I have no idea when I should be bombing.

Ideally, never. Unless you're playing Mountain of Faith of Subterranean Animism (those two games have a different bomb system than the rest), you want to try avoiding bombing as much as you can, unless you're about to die. I would recommend just not bombing at all when you're practicing, so you can get a better grasp on the patterns. After you're really familiar with them and can reliably succeed at them (remember Stage Practice is a thing, if you need to play one specific stage over and over), then you can start bombing when you're in danger, because you'll know when you're in danger.

Yeah, I suppose 'bomb when you're in danger' is kind of the rule, but the problem with that is that my reaction to a death is usually either "what the shit just hit me?" or "I didn't expect that to hit me", instead of perhaps "dammit, I knew that would hit me". I'm not ready for these occasions, at least not yet.

I completely understand that feeling. Your spatial awareness will get better with time and you'll be able to notice bullets coming at you from multiple directions or from a distance more easily. I wouldn't worry too much about detailed strategy when you're still stuck on Stage 4, though, you just gotta keep playing, and eventually you'll get to the final boss.

And remember, we're all here for you, except the secondaries and shitposters.