Meme Ops

>try to complete the gate part with guns, not being "le immoral soldier man"
>snipers respawn infinitely

>do this
>ok
>LOL YOU'RE A BAD GUY

Probably because you are playing as the bad guy compadre

The worst part is that they force you to do shitty things, then call you bad because of it. They could've made a much more compelling story if they didn't act so accusing towards the player, and focused on what was happening in the game.

>getting personality offended when a videogame mocks you
go back to tumblr

What did OP mean by this?

who cares if im on Cred Forums? i can do what i want. its called FREE SPEECH. how about YOU go to tumblr? we aren't all that bad

Well you comrades were reacting to the shit you are doing and the game is not really about good or bad choices but how the character comes to choose that and how he's going slowly but steadily insane.

>shitty Gears clone
>tells me I should feel like shit because I bought the game
I mean yeah I do feel like shit for that reason but probably not in the way they intended.

Anti-violence is such a meme message. Humans are naturally violent, as are most animals, suppression of that leads to bad things happening. Plus it's not like you're winning any originality points when 90% of the First-World agrees anyways so you aren't breaking new ground.

realize they were corpses

I'm on tumblr right now

The game calling you a monster is not a bad thing, it works. It's the fact the writer said "LOL WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST TURN OFF THE GAME?"

Good thing most people did one step above and didn't fucking play it period.

When did the writer say that?

>"YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS KONRAD"
>Okay let me just walk away
>Oh no no you silly player where are you going? Get back in there and kill those guys
>"KONRAD WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYY YOU MONSTERRRRRRR"
and just like that, instant refund.

it's interactive but you're not actually meant to identify with the protagonist. the expected train of thought is meant to go
>oh look, more hoo-rah guys with guns
>okay this is getting messed up
>the game keeps throwing insults. I'm just playing the game and it's not even choice based, so these insults don't apply to me. Who are they actually insulting?
>Oh, the game is just being critical of American interventionism in a cheeky kind of way

True, but they definitely could've implemented it better.

>play as a character who is an idiot
>cry bitch tears when other characters say 'Walker you are an idiot'
B-but why couldnt i just not do not idiot things and finish the game in 45 minutes?

Maybe they could've had you play as one of the squadmates, watching his squad leader going more and more crazy and being powerless to stop it.

As a story I enjoyed it, but as an actual game holy fuck was it a slog.

The pieces were there but for some reason they wanted to give it mediocre gameplay and ruin the experience for a lot of people.

I really dont get why the hate with this, its a pretty enjoyable game, the narrative was pretty involving at least to me, and seeing some hidden choices you could make was pretty neat, I did try to kill the soldiers without using the willy Pete, but in the end if I was allowed to do that it wouldnt have the same impact

Gameplay is simple but good, it just doesnt add anything new

Never played the game but does it accuse you the player of being a monster somehow or just the character? I don't think they need to give you a choice because it sounds like they have a specific story they want to tell. If you go through a game that has no player choices and then at the end it accuses the player, not player character, of being horrible then that's some bullshit.

It breaks the 4th wall, but I guess the man focos is the soldier, and not the player per se, the problem is any interpretation could be true

In-game, it's just at the character but the loading screens sometimes break the fourth wall with shit like 'dont feel bad, its just a game'

Main focus*

All you had to do was turn off the game, user

Why do you want to be a hero (shitposter) user?

Big Smoke pls
your drugs killed more people than WP

Yes, you are go kill yourself faggot.

>he said, posting a reddit image with a reddit filename

Every thread about this game just proves further that the people who post on Cred Forums are largely so incapable of accepting responsibility for their choices that they can't do it even when it doesn't even fucking matter.

>90 percent of the first world agrees that nonviolence is good

lol ok

>the game would have been better if you could have chosen to not do any of the bad stuff, the main character didn't go crazy, and everything turned out perfectly fine

Fuck off, retards.

>the game keeps throwing insults. I'm just playing the game and it's not even choice based, so these insults don't apply to me. Who are they actually insulting?
When something in a game like this doesn't make sense, it's way more likely the devs/writers were not as smart as they thought they were. No need to twist an interpretation just to give them a pass and make sure they're not wrong.

>critical of American interventionism
It's critical of Walker, not American policy. He doesn't even follow his damn orders.

Why does everybody act like they're being personally insulted when they play Spec Ops?

I'm not, I'm just disappointed because the story could've been better, more compelling, if they'd done it differently. I get they were trying a new thing, but it didn't work, at least in my opinion.

well, one reason is probably because a bunch of articles hyping this game said shit like that, that it was meant to make the player critical of the actions they're taking in this game and other games

doesn't make any sense to do that unless you're addressing the player

Better to just play it and take your conclusion

nice rationalization. you've def changed some minds there.

several interviews. I don't have links, you're just going to have to google it. Something that people miss in hindsight is that that particular message wasn't very prominent in the game itself, which focused more on the player's illusion of choice than on his choice to continue playing.

Just because you don't like the choice doesn't mean it isn't a valid one user, you're still responsible for choosing otherwise even if you really don't like that option.

The only real problem with SO:TL (aside from its lukewarm tps gameplay) is that rather than picking a point and making it, it tried to make 3.

On one level, it was to be a direct narrative about a soldier driven mad by extreme conditions (the PTSD interpretation). On a second, it was to be a parody of modern military shooters, employing ludonarrative dissonance to make players aware of the absurd assumptions that go into such games. On a third, it was to be a postmodern assault on the notion of video game violence, an attempt to deconstruct the abstract way in which video games present violence.

Unfortunately, the symbolic language through which these three rhetorical objectives were pursued turned out to be dissonant, which softened the blow of each of them and left all of them feeling lukewarm.

Yeah, I get what they were trying to do but they forced it hardcore. If they wanted to do a scene like that they should've made it an actual challenging fight, not just one of the million generic fights you get into. They also should've made it a player choice to use the shit.

This.
90% of games are
>do this
You do it
>LOL YOUR THE GOOD GUY, YOI SAVED THE WORLD.
it's nice for it to be other way. I don't get why the game can't be linear. Not everything has to be a 900million decision WRPG.

I liked this game and you cant stop me

I despise when games do this. Is there actually any reason for it? Or is it just console shittery with the lack of buttons on a controller?

My apologies if i give a fuck.

>tfw all you had to do was follow the damn train

>completely missing the point

i guess this game was too smart for most gamers, go follow some objective markers

You enjoy the game better when you just take the story at face value and ignore all the metanarrative

>game tells you to do this
>ok
>wow, you actually did it you absolute madman
>what did I do wrong
>you didn't turn the game off

Well excuse me for actually wanting to play a game I payed for.

This. I enjoyed it as a story of Walker tumbling down into despair, didn't really care about all the stuff beyond that. Didn't really hit but I didn't mind that much.

>play the game expecting the twist
>disappointed that it was predictable