vimeo.com/theromero/review/156288044/2ad02ce556
youtube.com/watch?v=xuIpBiStKu4
youtube.com/watch?v=VAmYi6ULG9U
youtube.com/watch?v=M7_HSEJlkkM
youtube.com/watch?v=mih0YevYcFk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The new one is really good.

No.

Played the new one and thought it was great. Figured I should play the old ones since the fans say they are even better and I only had Episode 1 of the first game as a kid.
Where do I get started?

Quake > Wolfenstein 3D > Doom

Its literally better than those outdated arachic old ones

I appreciate DOOM. How's that?

Go to the general on /vr/.

I was just fucking with you, I don't want to play that ancient shit when the one exists.

Stupid scum frog posting dumb

Your loss.

no, nuDoom is fucking awful
download sourceport
download IWAD
stick them in the same folder and start it

Its better than the originals.

Shhh these are brutal doom hipsters, let them feel superior since their lives are sad

every doom game i have played is good

doom 1 is good
doom 2 is good
doom 64 is good
doom 2016 is good
hard to pick a favorite desu

I have not played doom 3

:^)

Brutal Doom is shit, though.

Doom > Duke = Shadow Warrior > Blood > Wolf 3D > Brutal Doom > Quake

Doom 3 is good if you don't consider it to be a Doom game.

Source port faggots, happy now?

>d44m babbies don't know about final doom

>Duke = Shadow Warrior > Blood

lmao dat shit taste

So what is with all of the hate for Brutal Doom, is it because it ruins the purity or the original doom?

Before you ask, I've played both.

I played 1 on the snes as a kid, liked it, dad bought Doom 64, I loved it. Skipped 3 but recently bought DOOM. Holy fuck it's amazing. Got goosebumps getting the BFG. Awesome music, fluid combat, great seeing those old monsters again.9/10

Wolf 3D is obsolete and irrelevant. Doom still holds up today, Wolf 3D does not.

>implying I got into it with d44m
silly animeposter
tnt and plutonia are alright too but they aren't exactly mainline entries

It adds a lot of modern gimmicks, and that turns most oldfags off pretty fast.
I consider it to be satirical/fun
Original is better of course,
but modding is neat and harmless, and I admire the effort that was put in.
It's definitely enjoyable if you appreciate the "ultra-violence" themes of oldschool shooters

1. It's popular
2. It ruins the purity of the original Doom
3. Its popularity attracts newfags and ruins the purity of the original Doom fanbase
4. The author is an offensive douchebag who says insensitive things on the internet
5. It harms other modders, overshadows their work and denies them popularity by being too popular
6. It's so popular that people often request mods be Brutal Doom compatible, causing frustration to other modders
7. It's popular

The faggot userbase who want brutal compat with every mod out there, who also claim brutal doom is the defacto way to play Doom.

The faggots that come in and bring up Brutal doom all the time for the purpose of triggering people

Mark (the creator) being a turbo cunt, who in the past has started a lot of e-drama, and now recently is asking for patreon handouts for his work.

the mod itself is also a massive spaghetti garbage pile of code and barely held together, and the balance is really bad.

and that's not even getting into his racist comments in his code and how he told a kid to kill himself on the zdoom forums, providing detailed instructions as well but this being Cred Forums I'm sure most of you guys would consider that a good thing

Eh, I think it deserves the title, but it's definitely more in the vain of Quake 2.
Quake 4 is very underrated imo

>tnt and plutonia are alright too but they aren't exactly mainline entries
They are.
>implying I got into it with d44m
You obviously did.

Wolf3D is different from Doom, not obsolete. It's simpler, yes, but it's also much faster paced and involves less trial and error.

Quake 4 is really good. I just wish the blaster wasn't utterly useless in higher difficulties, because I really like the sounds and the design of that little gun

Final Doom is literal fucking garbage and shouldn't even be mentioned along the others.

Spotted the shitter that couldn't beat plutonia on UV.

Actually it is. The gameplay is fast and fun, they managed to give doom guy a decent amount of personality without voice lines, and they even added lore. Does it live up to three originals? If course not, but it is a damn good game

quake vs doom is debatable if we're including multiplayer, but if you seriously think wolf3d is better there's something wrong with you

>dude the shit level design and enemy placements make it a hassle to play that means it must be good lmao

This.

i bet you think maximum doom is "mainline" too you underaged poseur

>They are
according to? be interested to hear

>You obviously did.
whatever you need to tell yourself to sleep at night, I guess. I'm clearly not going to convince you.

I liked quake 4 quite a bit. When I first played it, getting turned into a strogg actually disturbed me, pretty damn brutal

>it is a damn good game
It is an okay game. Your insistence that it's anything more than average is why people constantly shit on it.

youtube.com/watch?v=5bTZ6hEWSy4

I'm a king without a kingdom to rule
The day I was born was the day I was DOOMed

Too bad the mod is shit

Better than the previous games

and then you realized your character was half strogg, which meant he was faster, stronger, and had his human will in tact.

and he's mad as fuck about those motherfuckers sawing off his legs, which made it all the better when you start rampaging on those limp dick mutants.

Both are more mainline than Doom 64, you dumb cunt.

The encounter design in Quake 4 is dull as fuck and seriously lacks variety. I'd rather play something like MW2 than trudge through Quake 4's monotony again. Quake 4 has fast movement speed, no regen health and satisfying guns, but there's more to FPSs than that.

>if we're including multiplayer

Don't have to, Quake's SP level design shits on Doom's.

You're getting a song this year

picosong.com/TrmB/

Q4 is honestly my favorite Quake game, I just wish they didn't shove teammates in like half of the game. Going solo is much more fun.

I really do think it's above average. Now, that may be considering the games that have been coming out recently. So relative to what we have, I may be seeing it as being better than it actually is. But I really did enjoy the single player. And I REALLY enjoy making shit in snap map.

Post enemies that you enjoy fighting.

So fucking fun. God I wish I still had my disk

>The encounter design in Quake 4 is dull as fuck and seriously lacks variety
Uh what? It's pretty decent for what it is, and enemies are varied and threatening if you play on max difficulty. Berserkers will push your shit really fast, tactical marines use cover (poorly, but it's a thought that counts), Gladiators pin you down with railgun shots, iron maidens teleport behind you and one-shot you with OP screams. Not every monster is good, but like half of them really are.

>snap map
>good
These are the type of faggots that like D44M.

There's a gameplay mod for Doom that brings Quake 4 weapons and monsters to classic doom maps, so that might be just what you're wanting, user

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50069

DOOM is great, loved every second of it. Kinda short though compared to old ones, but still cool.
And before you wannabe oldfags contrarians start sperging out, I played doom back in 94 and I still think id nailed the new one.

Snap map is fun dude. I'm not an idiot, it barely allows for anything, but I'm a sucker for any game that has a creative mode these days

>use cover
hence why the game is bad and not quake.

no they definitely aren't you diaper-shitting dumbass, they're both a collection of fanmade mods slapped onto CDs, whereas doom64 is a standalone product and a mainline entry to the series

>I simply can't conceive your opinion being different than mine!

They're allowed to enjoy making things in a fun map editor dude.
you're going to generalize people who enjoy d44m based off a secondary feature?

Doom threads make me remember the worst and more fun fever induced nightmare i had.
>sick as fuck
>fire up gzdoom to take my mind from the pain.
>some time later go to sleep.
>nightmare
>im in hell
>im doomguy
>shit is hot as fuck, feel fire on me
>No guns, berseker pack only
>dozens of archiviles
>RIP AND TEAR

And that is the tale of how in my fever induced dream, that for me took like 2 hours. Woke up, took a bath, checked my temperature and had to go to the hospital because 40C° is dangerous as fuck.

reminder that d44m soundtrack is on spotify and bethesdas youtube
at least 25% of the awesome of the track was how it worked in game, but it's still rad in the OST arrangement.

doom 1 >= doom 4 > doom 2 > doom 3

>doom game with no mods
Explain this,

>Quake's SP level design shits on Doom's
>"brown corridors: the game" shits on Doom's got-tier level design

no

>modern mechanic MEANS BAD

You're like a walking meme

>Kinda short though compared to old ones

Are you serious? Doom 1 and 2 are just half the lenght of DOOM.

Modern mechanics don't work when taken out of context and forced into a game that wasn't designed for it.

>a fun map editor dude
It's a fucking abomination and goes completely against the original design philosophy of Doom. Enjoy your watered down shit salad you nu male cunt.

>doom 2016
>13 levels

>doom 1
>36 levels

>doom 2
>32 levels

>doom 1 and 2 are half the length

>goes completely against the original design philosophy of Doom

The original philosophy was just to create new and fun maps to play Doom. It is just today that there are a lot of pretentious ass that try to create a brand new experience, and the mappers even dare say it's better than the original Doom experience.

Can we talk about how good Ancient Aliens is?

>Doom 1
>3 campaigns 11 levels each (with secret levels)
>Doom 2
>32 levels in total with secret ones
>DOOM
>13 levels

Of course if you're autistically speedrunning the first two spending 30 seconds each level, that's your own problem.
Still doom 3 is the longest one, shit just won't ever end

Nearly every encounter involves 1-5 enemies that funnel through 1 corridor, or 2 corridors that split off and shortly converge and lead to the same corridor. It's incredibly weak and basic, even Wolfenstein 3D has more varied encounter design despite lacking enemy variety.

As someone has used both snapmap and GZDoom builder.

GZDoom builder is infinitely easier to use and lets you make way more interesting shit, plus you can take it a step further with DECORATE and make custom weapons, monsters, and environmental objects

>considering a game is lengthier than another because of the number of levels it has, not the time you actually take to beat them

no way bro, doom 2 > doom 1 imho

the first (shareware) episode of doom 1 has probably the best maps in the series, but doom 2 has the SUPER SHOTGUN, more enemies, crazier more elaborate levels

DOOM takes something like twice as long to beat as doom 1, and maybe around the same or slightly longer to beat than doom 2. Unless it took you 12 hours to beat doom 1. There are fewer maps but each one's longer

I can beat Doom 1 in around 2 hours (around 30 minutes each episode). Same goes to Doom 2. I'm playing DOOM for the first time, and I'm 8 hours in and I feel I'm at the middle of the game.

I'd argue there's more content in the original doom maps because very rarely do they force points of no return on you, whereas Doom 2016 has a few of those towards later half of the game. Plus there's more monsters in general to fight in Doom 1 and 2.

I still really enjoy Doom 2016, but to say it has a longer play time is really debatable, the original games have a stronger focus on replayability as well because you can just jump in and get straight to it, you don't need to fuck with upgrades or bother with challenges, you get your guns and they're just good from the word go.

The multiplayer is better too, and it has co-op.

Doom 2's inclusion of the new monsters and SSG were a great thing, but it kinda shits the bed the further you get in with the level design as it starts getting a little too gimmicky.

and the SSG throws off weapon balance really bad

Hey Kegan.

Is this some bonus level for some wad or something?

I dunno about you, but I sure did use cover in Q1 and especially in Q2. Railgun is a railgun.

There's actually quite a bit of arenas and I do remember being attacked from different sides, and you are almost never attacked by a single enemy unless it's a boss. I think my favorite battle was close to the end, you descend on an elevator, elevator shaft has those narrow windows, they start breaking and regular Strogg dudes start jumping our of them, it's a pretty simple encounter but it was fun running around and shotgunning them. Then you arrive and are greeted by a Gladiator on the left and a squad of Tac Transfers on the right. The former is beefy and will damage you, the latter try to smoke you out of your cover, which is a lone pillar.

The enemy count never gets quite high, that is true. But I don't remember hordes of enemies in Q1 or Q2 either.

shhhh.

The SSG is balanced by enemy placement. It allows for more liberal use of Cacodemons and Hell Knights.

Anyone has that spooky agitated skellington gif?

I think I lost it.

This. I never understood that meme where it "breaks balance". It mostly makes SG obsolete, but you still want SG in some situations. CG is still better at long range and for stunlocking. RL is objectively better unless you're in melee range. PG is not even compatible.

which one specifically

The one where it runs out of the picture frame.

Slaughterwads and DUDE TELEPORTER TRAPS AND MONSTER CLOSETS REVEALING 50 REVENANTS WITH SOME ARCHVILES THROWN IN LMAO are never good. Look, you even had to use a gameplay mod that makes you overpowered to stomach it.

>I can beat Doom 1 in around 2 hours (around 30 minutes each episode). Same goes to Doom 2
Well no shit, I can do that as well because I know every corner of every map there. But how long did it take you to beat it for the first time?

Haven't played with new DoomRL, what's Chameleon Rifle?

playing either for the first time would take about the same length to beat
the original has way more replay value too, i dunno how many times i've beaten the original but i didn't even bother replaying the new one

I actually noticed some uses for the Shotgun while playing through Scythe. There were a few situations where I could only see the head of an enemy, or they were above me with a ledge blocking part of their body. The horizontal spread of the Shotgun got kills where the SSG would have placed half of its pellets on the ledge below the enemies.

I still with the Pistol had a use, seems like a waste giving up a whole key once I get a Chaingun.

>judging level design on aesthetics
Romero, McGee and Petersen fit more clever design and creativity in a single episode of Quake than in the entirety of Doom. Actual 3d environments with multiple levels and pathways add so much you wouldn't believe and CAN'T believe because you're too blinded by nostalgic Doom maps in which you run through splattering everything with ease with the super shotgun.

>decent amount of personality
Actually, less. You don't even see his face in this one

It's basically just a solid rifle, but with advanced upgrades it can switch modes between plasma spray, big ass bomb, and a minigun that increases the rate of fire depending on how long you hold the button. Ideal for marine class.

I mostly meant aesthetically. Gameplay is pretty standard, yeah.

BTSX looks nicer and has a better soundtrack.

I wish pistol didn't sound like shit and didn't make chaingun sound like shit too.

Neat.

Thank you.

NuDoom is actually breddy gud. Solid 7/10 if the Doom games are 9/10s. Just needs less arena battles and more fighting while exploring. Also scrap their shitty 'lol only 12 monsters at a time' engine so they can do bigger fights.

My pleasure

Honestly, D44M reminded me of Quake 2 more than about original Doom, especially with the whole verticality schtick and """story""".

not this time heretic

user that's doom. Not heretic.

This is heretic.

It would be nice if there was a mode where you just fought enemies forever in some of the campaign arenas. The combat feels good, but that's just about all the game has to offer; they should capitalize on that.

the arcade mode update might tickle your fancy a little better. I'm waiting for that myself.

>Only one of these points is about the mod itself

This is how horrible the Doom fanbase is

Redpill me on essential horror wads.

As of now I only played Unloved, The City of the Damned, and Le Flying Skull Meme.

Unloved was good until rooms with 999 revenants started appearing, CotD had a shitty final boss but was otherwise solid, and the last one, yeah.

i agree. i love playing the same game over and over for over 20 years

It piqued my interest if only because there are limited lives, but I'm talking about something similar to a Horde or Firefight mode, where you're just locked in a specific area and keep fighting until you drop. It would also be better if Arcade mode had randomized enemy spawns to keep things at least a little fresh, and to balance all of the upgrades being available.

I enjoyed the exploring too. Add PDAs from Doom 3 and my dick will be rock fucking hard.
And after awhile even the upgrades were nice since they were so easy to amass. They really didn't try to be stingy with points and all that.
Brutal Doom's author is just a bit of a cunt. He stole some assets without crediting I believe. But it's a very nice put together piece of work. Project Brutality is quite nice and his maps are all polished and hard as fuck on the insane difficulties.
I like the shitty voiced lines too. Duke was my shit and these fit in with the corniness.

>muh racism boogyman

Jesus, fuck off. I think brutal doom is disgusting cancer but I'll play it just to support the creator now

Doom 3 PDAs were the most hilariously bad implementation of the concept I've ever seen. They obviously took notes from System Shock 2, but they completely misunderstood it.

This is something that's ruined modern FPS. I miss the days of FPS games being about a big adventure on your own with characters guiding you with radio comms along the way. Teammates in SP FPS can fuck off

Basically, some depressed whiner on the forums started a thread about how he wants to end his life, and Sarge posted a pic of a noose or something, so it's basically related to community, not the mod itself. Pretty sure BD even got cacodemon award. Yeah, and there are purists too, but they just have a special kind of no fun allowed impotence.

That said, there are A TON of other mods that I consider better than BD. Ask in a /vr/ thread about specifics if you're interested.

>demonsteele not mentioned
It's almost like you don't want to be a skunkhaired, shark-toothed, sword-wielding ex-military loli with a penchant for eating doritos and energy drinks and burgers that plays like Doom May Cry or something.

Or even a thick, lazy, narcoleptic kamen rider cyborg gal that loves pizza and punching things.

youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c

>Sarge posted a pic of a noose or something
He posted a link with instructions on how to commit suicide.

In his defense, the guy was supposedly a troll/shitposter.

I just want a new version of Wrath of Cronos. How hard can it be, come the fuck on.

I like teammates in games, however I do understand how they can slow down the game. CoD 1 and UO were my shit though.

I always try to mention it atleast once, thanks for doing my job though user cause I forgot. Cause of that DUDE WEED.
He really needs to release a set of maps for it.

What is there to update anyway?

too hard 4 me

Romero's playthrough and commentary on E1M8b

vimeo.com/theromero/review/156288044/2ad02ce556

I was gonna mention GMOTA next but I guess you've got that covered?

I can't into it. Halp.

He literally said that the plasma gun burns people into niggers. The only way he could have been more racist is if he outright said that you should go out and kill black people irl. Hate to break it to you, but racist people do indeed exist, they're not an urban fucking legend.

Into... GMOTA?
Or Demonsteele?

If former, this may help.
youtube.com/watch?v=xuIpBiStKu4

I think he was trying to baitposting regarding that spoiler, but you shouldn't have replied to him

That video is covering such an old, shitty version of GMOTA, goddamn. The changes I'm doing are gonna induce some serious whiplash

I was supporting his racism actually. But either way, you're just a dumb fucking triggered brainwashed leftist, if you think that comment, about a fucking cartoonishly violent game, has anything to do with the incitement of real violence.

I love how MAP01's secret courtyard is the standard testing ground for any and all mods.

It's just strangely cute to me.

>I was supporting his racism actually.
he's literally a BR monkey tho

what kind of a white supremacist are you???

>If you disagree with me then you must be triggered
Let this meme die already.

I wanna make a fancypants hub map like Term made for Demonsteele but I'm too goddamn lazy at the moment, plus I'm caught up with working on the gameplay shit first.

When I do get around it, I'm probably gonna base it off the dark space in Illusion of Gaia, that place was so comfy.

youtube.com/watch?v=VAmYi6ULG9U

I'm actually a brazilian supremacist

Is the Zdoom forum post not the latest version?

that's hilarious

I mean I can understand white racists, European culture is pretty neat

what do you even have? jungles and favelas?

youtube.com/watch?v=M7_HSEJlkkM
>there's a fucking doom 4 for doom mod
>it's actually decent
I know Cred Forums is typically allergic to emoticons, but...
:D

we have the best women in the world the best culture, best music, best sportsmen, best economy, best nature

Reminder, D44M made this canon and Doomguy was a loli at one point.

It is. but I'm in the process of doing a pretty massive overhaul, doing shit like

>Adding ammo to subweapons which replenish when you run out/pick up new ones
>making the Blazter more balanced by making it use ammo
>better HUD
>more emphasis on sword attacks
>better monster balance
>new blazter attacks
>new power sword attacks instead of item crashes
>new items and equipment

etc. etc.

Hello, Reddit. Doom 4 did not "make wads canon".

New classes of course.

What's the recommended way of playing Doom 1 & 2?

Well, now I finally can play Doom 4!

That's not how it works, only the wads that still use Doomguy are canon. Otherwise Doomguy was also Corvus, and that's too much.

>it's actually decent
it's actually better because it's built on the base of a better game

Only real flaw of Demonsteele is that Sun Shihong is still using Nagato Yuki as a placeholder sprite.

I want to get into playing DOOM mods/WADs. I downloaded GZdoom and there are so many options. Can I leave most of it alone? Anything recommended to change?

They're working on that.

dick status: muh

Turn pixel smoothing off, and that's it.

agreed, that level design is pure crap
hell on earth is much better, even though it's different style of map design, more akin to dook 3d

>Wolfenstein 3D > Doom
Fuck you.

not him, but for me, one afternoon was enough

WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN AA

It's still a ways off but yeah, I'm pretty stoked

>doom 1 >= doom 4
There needs to be a culling of the herd, these mongoloids are getting out of control.

Because I mean I don't know about you guys but damn.

A while back, in doom general on /vr/, I made a suggestion to Term because we figured his implementation of Shihong's butt shield was a bit wonky and not really intuitive. Instead of the sniper punches, I suggested that since its flavour text in the "manual" is that it's an aux power source, it should reduce energy costs on moves, and he seemed to like that.

I think the sniper punches MIGHT be getting moved to what was the mine on Ghost of Perdition but I'm not sure?

Fun fact: Term's doing dev stuff on twitch right now at /terminusest13

>Still no SMT mod for Doom
Strange Journey is literally the perfect setting for a Doom wad

Make your testing area based on the Map01 courtyard.

THICC

Agreed. I really enjoyed Doom 4, it was a million times better as a series modern interpretation than Doom 3: Perpetual Darkness.

What are the best Megawads?

Last I played some of Hellbound with Demonsteele lately. It's fucking amazing, and pretty difficult in some areas.

Once you get to the big city, there's a point where you can jump down below and there are a bunch (hundreds maybe) of demons on the street, probably a couple of hundred or so. Using all my juice on the suit laser on them was satisfying as hell.

youtube.com/watch?v=mih0YevYcFk

This shit, except with a full bar cleaned the whole street up and down. It was the first time I used that attack, I nearly had an orgasm. If you ever decide to play it through, you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there. Save the special gauge for then.

I really want another Quake....that's not an arena multiplayer game

Who Reelism here?

I would imagine that Hellbound is difficult with regular DOOM gameplay?

It's not. Well, not most of the time, anyway. That level, for example, isn't that hard in regular Doom. Two spider-demons on the streets will aggro all the lesser monsters.

At least 3 tried to do something new, 4 is literally just copy pasted brutal doom with shitty maps and updated graphics.

Just started playing Russian Overkill, and I'm having a blast.

Any good maps for this mod? Something open where I can go fast.

Best enemy.

When I was kid, Pain Elemental always struck me as super goofy mob.

He doesn't directly attack you, sometimes he just hovers around minding his own demon business.

You have to be joking.

>soaks up bullets like a sonuvabitch but is completely unthreatening otherwise
>gets sent flying a million miles away if you try to kill it with rockets
>big ass corpse blocks your view while enemies shoot through it and fuck you up

It's not that difficult to beat Doom 1 and Doom 2 combined in under an hour.

nuts.wad or Cred Forums.wad

But he's cuteee

I have already played nuts last night, shit was fun but laggy as hell.

Cred Forums was is pretty great

The very beginning is kind of a bitch (there's a secret at the start btw) but stick it out and you'll see why people like the wad so much