Is this series underappreciated? I think its almost on par with the 2d mario games

Is this series underappreciated? I think its almost on par with the 2d mario games

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mEOQxR9zdCE
youtube.com/watch?v=_795j32W45w
youtube.com/watch?v=t5SnVnN3-JE
youtu.be/ytuiy4O8Ik8
youtube.com/watch?v=BTlCUiqMCd0
youtube.com/watch?v=XmD84U5HWHo
vid.me/VNPW
youtube.com/watch?v=dISuBAGxw4w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think you're a faggot

Oh

>almost
Warioland 4 has literally best animation and spritework out of all of the 2D Mario/Yoshi shit.

1-3 sure were about on the same level as the GB/GBC Mario games, but Warioland 4 really just blows all the 2D Marios out of the water with its visuals.

As for gameplay, some of the puzzles are bullshit.

I'd say it's pretty massively appreciated desu

Theyre well recieved, sure. But they dont get talked about as much as they should

the warioland series is the best series in the mario franchise.

Warioland 4 is the shit.
This fucking guy though.

The Wario Land series actually gets a healthy amount of discussion on a regular basis here on Cred Forums. I tend to see one thread about it every month.

I fucking love this game. I want a new wario land game so bad!

>I think its almost on par with the 2d mario games
It's not on pair, it's superior

Played that game as a kid it was shit
Replayed it as a adult a few weeks ago it's still shit

What the fuck it that shitty level design

Best Wario game coming through.

WL4 had hype as shit music, would love a remaster of its soundtrack or something to not use that garbage GBA sound youtube.com/watch?v=mEOQxR9zdCE

yeah but only 20 years too late

better than SMB3 and SMW? eehhhhhh

Is Wario Land 4 the DUDE WEED of video games?

>mfw remake/port never ever
>mfw the only Wario game this gen was a shitty minigame collection (not even a proper WarioWare)
Fucking Nintendo.

Guys, it just dawned on me...
Mario doesn't have its dedicated game on the GBA.

All it has is port from the NES and SNES.

The closest thing to an original Mario game the GBA has is Mario Vs Donkey Kong.

Not that it's a bad game, but it's clearly a different kind.

what the fuck was it with those music. The only one that actually was a a full fledged music was the Karaoke music and even then, you didn't unlock it with all disks, but by getting golden crown for all level.

Why isn't Nintendo making virtua boy available on the 3DS eShop is a mystery to me.

That game was my favorite GBA game desu.

>the Karaoke
It's a nice music track, even though.
youtube.com/watch?v=_795j32W45w

When I first played it, I thought that once you got all the disk, all those weird sound would combine to make a new song.

Man, that game along with Donkey Kong '94 were fun as hell. Too bad they dropped the platforming mechanics and turned that franchise into a puzzle game.
GBC doesn't have a dedicated Mario game either.

In case the GBC count as a separate console from the original GB, I mean

Nice translation, but here is the actual karaoke song:
youtube.com/watch?v=t5SnVnN3-JE

>In case the GBC count as a separate console from the original GB, I mean
I actually don't.

It's more like the DSi of the DS or the new 3DS of the 3DS.

>almost
All entries of Wario Land blow most Mario titles out of the water, including the original 2D Mario games.
Also when the fuck is Nintendo going to do a new Wario Land game ? Did Shake It! kill the series (it wasn't a bad game by any means but I'm not sure if it sold well).

youtu.be/ytuiy4O8Ik8
It's so shit but I played the game so much as a kid that I can't not love it. Also the low-fi sound kind of reminds me of Fats Waller's music in Eraserhead. Warioland 4 is weird like that as I remember it.

I have noticed that, like the Zelda game, there is a rather big girl gamer fandom about the Wario Land series. especially the 4th one.

>it wasn't a bad game by any means
It wasn't a bad game at all. Its only flaw is the same as Wario Land 4: Too short.

Good-Feel should handle the Wario Land (since Nintendo don't want to do it) and Yoshi's Island (since Artoon is utter shit) games from now on tbqh

>girl gamer fandom about the Wario Land series
What, really? I wasn't aware that the game had a fandom at all outside of a few dozen Cred Forums posters and that one guy who wrote the book.

Yeah, like I said, it wasn't a bad game (I liked it a lot), they could make it more

>Its only flaw is the same as Wario Land 4: Too short.
You know, Wario World was a lot of fun and it was very good too, but it was also way too short.
I'm starting to think it's a problem with Wario games in general.

The level design was cancer

Depend of what you call "too short". if you want to 100% WL 4 without the help of the shopkeeper, you might be in for a long time.

On S-hard, I spent months trying to get the golden crowns for every level and beating all the bosses without losing any treasure chest.

Now I don't know for WLSI, but doesn't it propose some challenge too as well as an higher difficulty level?

>women are super strong in the Mario universe that two can easily lift 300 pounds person as if it was nothing
okay.

WL4 > WLVB > Shake It > WL2 > WL 3 >>>> Master of Disguise

>It's more like the DSi of the DS or the new 3DS of the 3DS.
And I think you're a faggot.

also Shake It had the best soundtrack, followed by WL4

youtube.com/watch?v=BTlCUiqMCd0

Playing through now. Beat 1. Was probably ok as a portable back in 199whatever but doesnt stand up to true mario games

Only a few levels into 2 and its quire weird

Wlvb?

Wario Land Virtual Boy.

Master of disguises isn't a Wario Land game.

It's a Wario game.

But it's true.

One made a 45 minute video about Princess Chokora
youtube.com/watch?v=XmD84U5HWHo

Haha what

>45 minutes

Someone give me the rundown

>nintendo in charge of designing games that were made after SNES and arent solely designed around featuring old nintendo NES and SNES game assets (mario maker) and/or Mario 64

vid.me/VNPW

I only liked Wario Land 3, am I casual?

tfw I liked 3 better

Nothing wrong on having good taste, friend.

female equivalent of autism

So like the peanut butter video?

Warioland 3 is godtier

The one flaw of warioland 3 is the lack of money

Oh the dream...

That I had las night...

>almost on par
It is better than all 2D Mario games, save for Yoshi's Island.

>almost on par
Yeah no buddy its damn near a postmodern masterpiece

how is shake it i have it on wiiu but never played

>underappreciated
Someone wrote a 500+ page book about it

H-H-H-HURRY UP

why though

Because apparently Nintendo level design is that good

I mean let's be honest, it really is though

These two should fuck.

It's good.

Is it available online?

>Warioland 4 has literally best animation and spritework out of all of the 2D Mario/Yoshi shit.
Good art doesn't save an otherwise bad game. Warioland 4 has a lot of interesting levels and ideas, but also suffers from some really obtuse bullshit - like needing to get hit by certain enemies to get a temporary ability. Something the game never explains. I enjoyed my time with it overall, but it's not necessarily a game I would recommend to anyone.

Wario Land: Shake Dimension / Shake it / Shake! is a better game, in my opinion, even with the wii motion bullshit.

youtube.com/watch?v=dISuBAGxw4w

>like needing to get hit by certain enemies to get a temporary ability. Something the game never explains.
Are you fucking shitting me? This is a feature that has existed since Wario Land 2. How many WL games have you played?

>Something the game never explains.
What do you need? A cutscene intro with a nartor making a full exposition as to why Wario change while dramatic music is being played?

Wario take on fire because he has been burned, Wario get flat because he has been squished by an heavy object. Wario become a vampire because he has been bitten by a bat...

HOW IS THAT NOT SELF-EXPLANATORY? what more explanation do you need?

And how is it bad design? it's something you see and understand the purpose of immediately. WL4 is a mastery of level design and conception.

Did you actually need to go to an faq to get that you have to eat something to get fat and break harder rocks or what? It's something everyone figure on their own and the very reason it is well designed.

It is a game to be recommended for everyone who is in level design.

>even with the wii motion bullshit.
the motion is actually well implemente in that game.

My only grip is that it isn't in 16/9.

>Wario Land: Shake Dimension / Shake it / Shake! is a better game
Hah, you wish. Shake It is a poor man's 4.

It is. You can find a pdf download for the whole book without much effort.

thanks.

>Nintendo will probably never make a treasure-themed race track that has the music for the final lap be a remix of Hurry Up! from WL4.

we've been having these threads about this 15 year old game like twice a week

How many WL games have you played?
Before 4? None.

>What do you need?
A small painting on the background layer showing a stick figure walking into a spiked enemy and swelling up as a balloon would do fine. I got stuck because I killed the enemy before it hit me, as you tend to do, and had to reset the room a few times before I accidentally got hit and "figured" it out.

It appears underappreciated because Nintendo doesn't do thing with Wario anymore. Turns out all his games were actually more fun than any Mario game currently on the market, and Nintendold men couldn't have that, so they turned him into a sports and party-only character. Expect Donkey Kong to follow.

>he didn't get why an enemy kept respawning
>or read the manual
>or wonder why there was things like blue blocks next to apple-throwing apes in the previous level

>A small painting on the background layer showing a stick figure walking into a spiked enemy and swelling up as a balloon would do fine.
Sometimes the pleasure is in the surprise. But this is something that has existed since WL2. Even Shake It require you to be set on fire from time to time to go through the fire blocks.
>I got stuck because I killed the enemy before it hit me, as you tend to do, and had to reset the room a few times before I accidentally got hit and "figured" it out.
You should have figured there was something peculiar with those enemies when you noticed that
1-they didn't gave you money nor pellets when you killed them
2-unlike the other monsters, they actually respawn when you leave the room and come back.

It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to figure it out.

Sometimes, the pleasure of a game also lie in finding the solution yourself.

Jesus Christ, this is the first time I've seen something as retarded as this. Someone actually complaining how it's hard to figure out enemies give you transformation.
Everybody please ignore this retard.

>failing a few times makes a game bad

By this logic, the entirety of the souls series is utter shit.

Doesn't all enemies respawn when you exit and re-enter a room in that game? It's a common thing in many games of that era, and of the genre. Not really a surprising or stand-out kind of thing. Running into an enemy goes against some of the core conventions of video games as a whole: avoid danger. There are games where I have no clue what sort of an attack an enemy does, because I've never been hit by it, because if it's clearly marked as an enemy by the game, I'll just avoid and/or destroy it. If you want a player to interact with an enemy, then there are ways of doing that. 1) Tell them. 2) Force an interaction, such as having an enemy at the bottom of a pit you have to jump down, placed in such a way contact is inevitable. Doing nothing and expecting the player to go against basic conventions is just kind of dumb.

Failing to inform the player can make the game bad. Not providing a challenge the player can fail. You might want to re-read what I wrote.

>oesn't all enemies respawn when you exit and re-enter a room in that game?
No.
Seeing that one of the challenge is to get 10 000 of points(money) in each level, respawning enemies who give up money and energy pellet would have made things way easier. So they never respawn.only the monsters who give special abilities, like the mallet monster or the apple monkeys or the beees respawn when killed. the other remain dead.
> Running into an enemy goes against some of the core conventions of video games as a whole:
Yes, but like said before, it had been established since WL2 and those enemeies stand appart:
-they respawn when most enemies don't.
-they don't give money nor energy pellet. this is how someone who has never played a Wario game know there is something going.

Got the gist. You cant handle challenges that aren't insta-win. Perhaps stick with QTE heavy games.

>If you want a player to interact with an enemy, then there are ways of doing that. 1) Tell them. 2) Force an interaction
3) cue them. sometiimes figuring things out on your own is part of the fun. and those enemies stand out enough on their own to figure it out.

And they still are ennemies. sometimes, the transformation they provide will work in your favor, other times it will get in your way and you'll have to avoid it.

It's been at least 6 years since I've played it, so I don't remember the specifics. But it's very possible for enemies to respawn without dropping coins beyond the first kill; they're not mutually exclusive elements.

>it had been established since WL2
Doesn't really matter to someone who hasn't played those games. Or at least not much of it. I did play some Warioland games on a friend's GB back in the day, but I was much more interested in Super Mario Land at the time.

No need to get angry or resort to meme-posting. It just makes it seem like you've given up.

Sure, but generally speaking games that want the player to explore or experiment makes that clear from the start, in order to put the player in a certain state of mind. They don't just randomly insert it a few hours into a game, hoping the player figures it out. With the exception of optional content - secrets and the like - where most players are already conditioned to go out of their way, or to try unorthodox strategies. Even in the Mario games, which are otherwise fairly straight forward.

I've given up. Bye.

>But it's very possible for enemies to respawn without dropping coins beyond the first kill
Something the enemies in WL4 doesn't do. they usually don't respawn, which should have been your first clue.
> they're not mutually exclusive elements.
And yet in this game they don't respawn, unlike the transformative ennemies. You should have noticed that. Most players do.

>Sure, but generally speaking games that want the player to explore or experiment makes that clear from the start, in order to put the player in a certain state of mind.
WL4 is specifically based on exploring and experimenting, you have to actually find hidden treasures to progress in the game you actually can't find the bosses if you do not find them. So this mentality is indeed ingrained in the gameplay from the start.
> They don't just randomly insert it a few hours into a game, hoping the player figures it out.
Like Is adi, this mentality is there from the start. Not to mention, it takes at best 5 minutes to discover it. A little mind challenge for the player, especially for a platformers that is puzzle centred is actually a good thing for a game.
>where most players are already conditioned to go out of their way, or to try unorthodox strategies.
But this is what WL4 do.

That's just paranoid. The truth is Wario is like a lot of Nintendo's franchises, no matter how good they make them they sell less and less.

Like if they made one that was just as good as a Mario game it would sell a fraction of it because the mainstream market is rejecting it. Also niche fanbases tend towards piracy(e.g. Advance Wars), if a new Wario game comes out and a fan pirates it while expecting more Wario games to be made they're a bloody idiot.

You say it does, but I didn't feel that way at the time. And I have to go off memory, since I can't very well replay it today and expect the same experience. Had I been on the lookout for things that stood out, I might have realized how it worked a lot sooner, but it always felt like a more classic platformer to me, albeit with more exploration. All I'm really saying is that the game could have done a lot better job of informing the player about the rules.

I'm sad the series is more-or-less dead today, as it was a unique take on the platformer genre. But I'm not necessarily surprised it wasn't more popular, in no small part because of how it presented itself to the player.

The book is a scam even wario would be proud of.

>Something the game never explains.
If you are somehow too stupid to get behind machanics for children you should just read the manual

I loved the instruction manual for that game. It captured wario's voice

I always liked Wario over Mario