starbounder.org/Category:Removed
youtube.com/watch?v=bq0XOMBAay8
youtube.com/watch?v=LFKYvQy_mVU
drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkqKlzBMDb9OHpnNFB6Ukg3NXc/view?usp=sharing
kickstarter.com/projects/1695500207/planet-centauri-2d-rpg-sandbox
youtube.com/watch?v=DBCR-yMtTBM
youtube.com/watch?v=tONfEAQdDiQ
terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Guide
archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post461760624
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Terraria is good Starbound is shit.

One is metroidvania with base building, the other is base building.

Terraria is good. Star bound looks good, but isn't.

One delivered a meh game but kept producing high quality content updates.

The other made big promises and failed to deliver every step of the way.

Terraria has a shitload more stuff to do with years of support.

Starbound has bird and plant tiddies.

I hope one day Starbound can be as good as Terraria currently is.

One is good and original
One tries to imitate and fails miserably

One is finished and you don't feel ashamed for buying it.

Was Starbound good before they removed everything

Terraria is a better 2d minecraft with more content
Starbound is an autistic 2d no man's sky

Terraria is fun and has shitloads of content
Starbound looks like an improved Terraria, but is actually worse in every way

I haven't played since shortly after launch. Why would they remove stuff?

>Why would they remove stuff?
Nobody knows, but they fuckin did.

Eh, played it when it was still a beta version. It really wasn't. Trailer's and overall hype made it look like a Terraria killer, but everything was super unfinished and frankly a bit garbage.

The thing about Starbound is that it only provides a very short hand hold-y direction for probably a few hours before it runs out of gas. Terraria on the otherhand was much more organic experience. It didn't hold your hand or give you any real direction, but everything was laid out in front of you in the form of something like intuition.

Terraria has proper and very subtle pacing, Starbound was hamfisted and had no idea what the fuck it was doing.

It seemed to be promising.

>promise the universe
>can't deliver

Same shit with Spore and No Man's Sky.
Space sims are just a bad genre.

I just looked up all the things removed. That's fucking ridiculous and most of it makes absolutely no sense. Does this game even get updated anymore?

One is in space and the other is on earth

Just modded
By the worst kind of people

/thread

Fpbp

A lot of the stuff they cut was lore that didn't play nice with their new hug-box story.
Aside from that, they were probably too incompetent to re-implement old content.
For instance: Each race was suppose to have their own computer ai/guide with a specific avatar and banter (? not sure about the banter) depending on what race you picked.
Humans would get a smooth, generic looking robot (Pic related)
Glitch (robot race) would get a wizard looking robot
Apex (monkey race) would get a monkey
and so on.
Well, they removed that, and left each race with the human's generic ai (again pic related).
Why? I think someone said it was because the devs couldn't figure out how to get the story to progress when each race had a different ai (the ai was responsible for giving out quests, forgot to mention that).
A few weeks later, someone managed to mod the feature back in.

Racial hostility was also removed.
Florans (savage planet/flower race) use to be the "nastiest" creatures in the game, saying shit like "you looksss tasty" or "Ssstab"
Now they say shit like "You florans new best friendsss!" and other hug boxy shit.

>Does this game even get updated anymore?
Yee, but they're wasting the updates on shit like fishing and collectables.
I'm not sure if their planning any other major updates.
As someone who has played Stabound for +400 hours, I can say, without a shadow of a doubt, that Starbound is by far one of the most shittiest games I've ever played.
What makes me mad is all the potential that was brutally squandered to produce this shit show.
Nice dub-trips

Terraria is good, for building things, for having fun, for being frustrated, for having fun with friends, all of it.
The only thing that bothers me about it is its overreliance on RNG.

>played through starbound about a month ago with 3 friends
>never paid it any attention before then
>had a great time grinding gear and progressing the story
>come to Cred Forums and visit starbound threads
>everyone is assblasted constantly

It's crazy how polarizing it is to me. I didn't even realize the game had been around that long. I legitimately feel bad for everyone that has a history with the game, I enjoyed it a lot more than Terraria.

You are blessed to not know the pain and bull fuckery that is Chucklefuck and TIY

With mods it's pretty decent if you ignore the story and just explore planets and build comfy bases

This here. Cred Forums has a massive hard on for Terraria and I'm not sure why. The whole "le more content" meme seems like just what it is, a meme. There's less to explore (as you're only stuck to one planet), and there might be some more randomized items - but that's about it. There's no real "structures" to find, or crazy NPC's - it's just dig dig fucking dig like a poor mans Minecraft. I never understood the hype - and I've put a decent amount of hours into it to say this too.

starbound has good art and avians are cute. shame it has nothing going for it other than that.

let me know if they ever get the sex mods up and running

You have literally never played the game. No crazy npc's? You realize there's like 20 bosses including a like space Cthulhu fuckin rape machine right?

God damn I love the building in Starbound in comparison to Terraria. I've seen some amazing shit made in Terraria but it takes so much more effort to make something that looks good in Terraria than it takes to make something nice in Starbound. That and the fact that you can get really creative with how you detail the interior of your ship, had a really comfy location that I could keep when I moved from one friend's server to another.

Terraria is fucking rad. Used to have a big ass base with all different themed rooms with teleporters that took you all over and bad ass lava traps on the outside entrances.

I built an insane gauntlet under ground that's In 3 huge sections and I stole my buddies best legendary gear and hid it in a chest at the end. I would've given it back to him but he refused to play even til today. Such a great game.

I love how Starbound took the mediocre combat from Terraria and somehow made it even worse. That's quite the achievement.

Flying enemies are beyond awful, who thought they were okay in Starbound.

>Florans (savage planet/flower race) use to be the "nastiest" creatures in the game, saying shit like "you looksss tasty" or "Ssstab"
>Now they say shit like "You florans new best friendsss!" and other hug boxy shit.
>Well, they removed that, and left each race with the human's generic ai (again pic related).

what the fuck?

i havent played starbound in forever, i knew they failed to deliver on a bunch of shit but i didnt realize they actually made it this bad.

Aesthetics is just about the only thing starbound will beat terraria at every time. You canbuild some gorgeous shit in starbound. I wish the gameplay were good.

>people like things i dont and dislike things i do! i just cant stand it!!
>I know i'll just prefix everyone's complaints with "le" and call them memes, because that's CERTAIN to make them seem less legit to everyone else and win them over to my team!

They deleted everything that suggested the races didn't live in harmony. And they replaced the cool space marine humans with gay "leaders of star trek UN hippy federation" bullshit. racial perks were removed, all the cool techs (like the ones that let you basically glide around planets) were removed, guards no longer demand that you sheath your weapons in their villages which not only lessens immersion but also makes it harder if you want to roleplay as a xenophobic human or a "Remove weed" fish because now you have to destroy like 3 houses before villagers turn hostile and you can hurt them. All the interesting bits of lore were removed. The uniqe openings for each race were removed so your motivation is the same for each race.

The thing people have to understand about developing space games is that just because it's about the universe as a whole doesn't mean that everything in the universe should be included in the game.

**STAR CITIZEN APOCALYPTIC VIDYA MELTDOWN IMMINENT**

>no structures
How about a huge jungle temple, pyramids, underground houses with loot with a variation for each biome, a massive dungeon at the surface or jungle shrines?

>no wacky NPCs
There's a total of 25 NPCs. One is a skeleton only found underground who sells YoYos. Another is an old man guarding the dungeon who transforms into a boss at night. And then there's the living mushroom who will only move in to your house if you've transformed the surrounding area into a mushroom biome

Terraria: Every time you get hit you make a sound like a baby just got punched in the baby-gut

Seriously the sound guy on Terraria phoned it in hard

You forget the tax guy, who annoys every other NPC to give you money.

I can't get over the pixelation of terraria. Every figure looks the same just with different colors. But starbound is boring with nothing to do.

Meh.

one is unfun and the other is shit

In Terraria, no matter where you choose go exploring, there is something of value that you can uniquely find there. I'm not just talking talking an item to increase your dps. Each of the areas has items that empower the raw mechanics of your character. It could be a double jump, it could be a light generating minion or a hookshot. It means a lot to the feeling of growth that its not just numbers going up. Most of the resources that are used to make your raw stat progression can be found anywhere. So you're not missing out on anything by NOT exploring each new area you find. On top of that, it keeps the incentive to keep playing high because any time you gain access to a new area, its worth it to check it out because the items there are literally game changing.

In Starbound, there is nothing of value to be gained through directed exploration. You may as well just dig in one direction at your desired depth forever because you'll find the same resources and useless chest loot anywhere.

> There's less to explore (as you're only stuck to one planet)

One planet with all the content on it, is better than an infinite amount of planets with 1/100th of comparable content on it

This.
I tried going down seven different planets and it's all the same boring shit with no substance and just some lava at the end. Even some special gate with some sort of test had shitty loot in it. The devs are incompetent and I hope some total conversion mod makes it bearable some time soon.

You've never played, have you? You're not confined to one world. Your character is free to hop from one to another, and take any items you want between them. In fact, upon generation, worlds have different ores and either corruption or crimson. If you just make one world, you're not seeing everything there is at all.

the wacky grandma character is pretty cringeworthy too, It's fucking disgusting that you're forced to sit through such creatively bankrupt dialogue to get to the missions

Isn't starbound a huge mass effect rippoff?

Terraria is gud.
Starbound has space and shit. Also the fuel ghost is spooky for the first second.

Terraria has better aesthetics as far as building goes though.
I don't have the screenshot, but there's one floating around showing some big sword looking building that looks absolutely incredible. The amount of autism poured into making something like that is off the charts, and I've yet to see SB come even remotely close to matching how good it looks.

this

Terraria fags, be honest, which class is the hardest to play from start to finish?

Melee by far

pure summon.
You only begin to rek shit in endgame

I think we can all agree that ranged is the easiest.
Summoner becomes a powerhouse late game but sucks early on.
I suppose it's between Mage and Melee, but I couldn't tell you which.

How do you even sustain ? Beside Health potion and regeneration potion I mean, because I doubt it would be sufficient against most of hardmode bosses.

campfire, heart lantern and honey. All three placed all over your arena.

>melee when 'hold m1 to win' yoyos exist

It's not. In hardmode you have no choice but to use pre-built arenas and certain weapons

Just like every other class.

Terraria is much better put together in most aspects (progression, armour, movement, weapons)

this one ?

>there will never be a pixelshit indie game with this level of detail
>even if there was it wouldn't be any fun to play

That's the one user, yes.

Jesus christ it's beautiful.

damn son, wish the prebuilt structures looked this nice.

>MEME ARROWS MAKE ANYONES ARGUMENT INVALID
>IM AUTISTIC AND CANT FORM A PROPER COUNTERARGUMENT

You can still try Terraria custom adventure maps.
Nowhere near impressive as this but it can sometimes have good stuff.

>GOG
>buy

I dropped about 200 hours into the game and I dipped when they removed the ability to spam space jump

Why the fuck would I want a boat, when there is nothing good on the surface of any water planet??? spamming dash jump was the shit, I literally don't know what chucklfuck is doing anymore

And to think all I ever fucken build are commieblocks

Come on, how the fuck is it a Metroidvania?

>>IM AUTISTIC AND CANT FORM A PROPER COUNTERARGUMENT
Talking about yourself I see?

Throwing :^)

That has nothing to do with Terraria and all to do with the guy who built it.

Starbound doesn't have this music

youtube.com/watch?v=vDplQwPnhjs

Starbound is a game that adds a lot to Terraria's formula. The only problem? Everything they add is hot garbage that only a dipshit would think is a good idea.

Or these
youtube.com/watch?v=o_vbf1r7SdI
youtube.com/watch?v=zJB3gXsob9o

I tried playing Starbound a couple of weeks ago and stopped after like 3 hours since it's Terraria but worse.

Terraria is fun game to play solo and even better in multiplayer. Though I doubt there will be any major updates, but at least what they produce is quality improvements.
Starbound on the other hand is terrible in most aspects. It comes mostly from incompetent team of fucking artists in charge of development. I can't even remember how many times they reworked combat and it's still shit

I briefly played the release version with some friends, aren't a lot of the florans still pretty hostile? I remember running into more than one camp of theirs where they attacked me on sight.

If the Terraria Otherworld doesn't have music like this, it's going to be a severe disappointment.

>listening to this
>chiptunes kiddy garbage
>close tab
No wonder nobody takes you terraria fags serious

Have a (you) now fuck off

Starbound has a really interesting aesthetic but the general consensus is that Terraria is basically the better game from a design standpoint

youtube.com/watch?v=93fxc8SCF3g

So far, it seems to be pretty good. Really digging Crystal Cave so far.

You are probably thinking of enemies. The real villages won't attack unless you start destroying their homes.

Terarria-Quality

Starbound-Potential

I have a few hundred hours in both (after starbound released).

Starbound is better for autism building. I love the villages in it with npcs walking around as well. Also it's pretty good for the first 30-40 hours. Looks prettier as well.

Terraria is a better game in every other respect. Better combat, better items, better gear, better environments, better enemies, better bosses, and so on.

A HUGE chunk of Starbounds features are all extremely barebones with no effort made to go above and beyond or to flesh them out. The plot is just horrible, and has very obvious filler missions where you have to fucking run around scanning items in npc villages to progress them. Combat is terrible, and you will find the same enemies all over the universe. Itemization and gear is fucking terrible and boring stats, there's no reason to revisit planets at all which is pretty sad. It's all forward progression. Also no events on planets like blood moons or alien invasions either. No cities as well. All in all just gets extremely disappointing the longer you play it.

A properly colored pepe? This is outrageous!

First to take a shit in the thread I see.

You are also a faggot.

It took a whole hour for people to begin shitposting ITT. Not bad.

You know what I hate about nearly every fucking space sim I've seen?
Every planet is either just Earth with a different skin, or one Earth biome stretched over an entire planet. They could do so much cool shit with all these unique alien worlds but they never do. There are more interesting planets in real life than there are in most space sims.

fp, bp.

I bought starbound when it was in early access for 15 bucks. I played it like twice and ended up deleting it from my account.

Music is one of the every single one things Terraria does better. Is there like a single memorable track from shitbound?

>played 330 hours of terraria
>played 33 hours of starbound across the multiple """finished"""" versions
shit game

>decide to give Starbound a go some weeks ago
>make Floran
>expect a cool intro where you start in some village, restore the ship and go into space
>NOPE, you start on Earth just like everyone else

>burn out after exploring half a dozen planets because they're just as boring as they were in first alpha release

Florans and energy cowboys are wasted on this game.

Literally all your points are false. How far did you get in your "decent amount of hours"?

The hell?
Terrarias music is absolutely abyssmal, its the only thing I don't like about the game at all

this, the fuck

sounds like absolute shit

terraria just has so much shit to explore and play with. So many different weapon and they kept adding more each update to give you something fun to work towards

It's one of my favorite aspects of the game

it's pretty generic and not amazing
it served its purpose as background music but it's not notable

this

Literally all you gotta do is port the SB races into Terraria to make it perfect.

One is a unique 2d adventure with a plethora of content ranging from biomes, enemy designs weapons and bosses with a catchy soundtrack.
The other is a piss poor clone with forced story, shitty mechanics, shitty bosses, no unique weapons or accessories and repulsive enemy designs. If you want a good Terraria clone, go check out Planet Centauri.

>Planet Centauri
Shit, that looks really coo-
>early acess
eeeeeeeeeeeeh

In my opinion it may be early access. But it's actually shaping up to be good unlike that dripping shitsack Starbound was.

>early access

Why are you posting blank pictures?

One has the imposing Crimson and Corruption and the other has a stupid fucking hentai tentacle monster. I don't think Starbound has any enemy designs that come close to Crimson monsters.

Sell me on it because I'm pretty close to making an impulse buy

>

terraria is better at the moment and then starbound may be an equal in 4-5 years.

>impulse purchase
>early access

youtu.be/-_qMagfZtv8

YOU DO IT TO YOURSEEEELF, YOU DO - AND THAT'S WHY IT REALLY HURTS

>gore
Can't have that in family friendly Starbound. Silly pokemons and spinning carrots only.

It's a 2d Terraria-esque game that has similar elements from both Terraria and shitbound. Like having an underworld and getting pokemon's. Souls are used as currency and to open chests around the world. Each biome ramps up the difficulty the farther out you go. There's also little NPC aliens that can be assigned jobs and aren't freeloading asshole merchants too.

Terraria is an RPG with platformer with interesting boss battles and shit loads of content

Starbound has none of that par being a mediocre RPG. Building is better in starbound though, if you're into that shit.

I never really liked building bases in Starbound, because I would have to abandon them when I moved on to the next planet. Was that ever remedied in some fashion?

Also, I was so hyped for randomized monsters, but despite APPEARING vastly different the majority of mobs would fight the same way. Did they add more unique critters?

Devs should play Prospector. Only game where I had the right amount of feeling to really have to check the environmental circumstances of a planet before I explore it.
The game parameters are fantastic, too bad its an roguelike.

No
No
They also removed content and made every race the same. There is no fucking reason playing that mess beyond ending the short main quest line.

Starbound does a thing where if you build a town, people can actually come and live in it. I really like that because I'm not the kind of guy who wants to build a castle or whatever just to screenshot it and show people.

It's also moddable, which is nice. I just wish the combat was as good as Terraria's.

Ahh yes. I forgot the majority of chucklefucks shiteaters are all tumblrites that got so triggered by different race perks that they all had to be made human.

I can't wait to see Otherworld's story explaination on the Crimson and Corruption just so it can piss in the face of Tiy and all of chucklefuck that Terraria will soon have a better story.

Is there a list of removed content? I heard they removed temperature

starbounder.org/Category:Removed

>Take out a bunch of content
>Call it a "Release"
I really don't understand how people were so hyped over Starbound 1.0, when there's so much work to be done. A 1.0 release is supposed to be something special; now I just feel like they're not going to bother with any large content patches, because the game is "out"

Terraria has better and more fun mechanics.
Starbound is worse in every way, but it is in space.
I played shit out of terraria.
In starbound I finished the first planet.
I had to like find some core stones or something that were in the center of the planet to repair my ship and it did not feel like fun, it felt like work.
I just was digging straight down till I was in the center and got the stones, it was pretty lame. One thing was intresting, surface of the planet was fairly short I could go from one end of the map to another in like five minutes, but the planet was miles deep, really "immersive."
When I finally repaired my ship I did not feel like playing anymore.
I guess it would be fun for someone who just wants to "explore" a lot, but the game's mechanics feel like shit compared to terraria.

It's far better than Starbound's singular "DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOO DOOOOO" that's prevalent on literally every single planet out there, even ones where that music is a complete juxtaposition to the terrain of the planet.

>piss
I see what you did there.
Anyway, hopes for Otherworld:
>Corruption and Crimson in same playing field
>Taking many cues from old Terraria and while using a whole different "path" of upgrade and improvement, it's similar, but in space
>Various and customizable ships that act like lesser homes except end-game Jumbo ships, which are basically homes
>Set of several Planets in a solar system, each dedicated to a different Biome
>Corrupt and Crimson Moons circle about a Green Fields planet and rain Corrupt and Crimson meteors upon it
>Killing the Hell Boss on the Lava planet causes a third moon to slingshot into orbit about your Plains planet, a Hallowed Moon
>Finally get that Hallowed counterpart, Cyber
>Desert planet
>Jungle planet
>Dungeon Planet
And much more I hope.

What is exploration without proper danger?
If there is nothing ventured, what is there gained?

this

all the Terrariafags crying about "muh progression" are just retarded

>The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 1,026 total.

I feel like terraria's music is pretty grating, but it has one song that's legit pretty good
youtube.com/watch?v=bq0XOMBAay8

That said, one good thing about terraria is that it isn't all too hard to make custom music packs (it's a little cryptic though)

I've replace the game's music with OFF's soundtrack and it was really nice. the problem with terraria's soundtrack is honestly that it's ALWAYS going. there's no quiet areas, so it just becomes a better option to turn the music off and play your own music.

>1000
Jesus fucking Christ.

Doesn't make it good

Downloading a wavebank is mandatory imo, easily fixes the one thing I don't like about terraria

Terraria does that too though. You have close to 20 npcs that can move in, trade with you, and if you place them strategically, they can even help you fight bosses (they aren't too strong though)

They even do little mild interactions with one another now and sit down on furniture and stuff.

That said, starbound's method of building is much nicer. Building in terraria is tedious.

>tfw you always roll worlds with corruption because crimson creeps you out

Personally I just find crimson to be a bigger pain in the ass than corruption. Crimtane equipment is pretty dope though.

>Crimson worse than Corruption
>Actually traversable world gen early on
>Better gear
>Worse boss
>Far worse Expert Accessory
>Better Hard mode
>Better exclusive "element" in the form of Ichor

How is this even possible?
Even if it's about money, it's seriously retarded.

Fuck man I can't not run Crimson and forgo shit like the Fetid Baghnakhs, Ichor and Vampire Knives.
Shit where would I be in expert mode without Vampire Knives

Those vampire knives though

First post, best post

I wish Terraria had less shitty character creation though.

I remember the days everyone made fun of andrew spinks and his perverse side hobby making those shitty beta poems
Now yall are licking his asshole. Cred Forumss changed

>tumblrites that got so triggered by different race perks that they all had to be made human
this can't be real
i've accepted a lot of things about starbound and everything surrounding it, but is it really this bad?

no shit v has changed, the vast majority of users (about 80% i'd wager) aren't even 4chanites, and the remaining 4chanites are all mostly newfags (2009)

That was Blue you dolt, he was a complete tool, once he got fired, everyone on Cred Forums ripped on him for being an emo faggot.

>I'm an older newfag than most.
KYS PLS

I was about to say that exact same line.

for what reason
newfags begin at 2009, isn't that clear enough? or do you seriously think there are other people than you who would anonymously brag about coming in year 2008, label 2009 as newfag, and harvest the amazing street cred that follows from that conversation?

2009 was 7 years ago old man. "Newfags" are posters that are under 25 according to this.

/thread

I build this when 1.3 came out and I think it looks better than what you posted.

i like my old terraria towers better

Guys, I truly give Terraria all the praise in the world but I have a confession to make, and no it's not some gay shit like "i like sb better" because you truly would have to have dogshit taste to hold an opinion like that.

Anyway.
I've technically not played the game up to hardmode SINCE the hardmode update came out, all those years ago.

I keep playing the game but getting bored at the start.

I think if I can make it to hardmode again, I can maybe get the motivation to continue but eh...it's just not happening.
Any tips?

What's a fun class to play too?

If starbound was just terraria with a uogradeable mobile home, and you traveled between planets appropiate to each biome (snow, jungle, forest, sand, ocean, etc) with dangerous corrupted, dead world (dungeon), lizard and alien planets it would be great

But rather than going with the material progression towards bosses, it tries a shitty story and the planets/biomes are extremely bland when compared to one map terraria has

Tl;dr if it copied terraria and added spaceship as a mobile base, growing bigger and bigger it would be great

It isn't though, and the direction gets it further away

That is correct you fucking idiot. Whether or not you're a newfag is determined by what time you joined the site, not how long ago you joined the site.

I remember seeing a time line for this a long time ago, and "cancer" begins at 2013. There was definitely cancer much before that.

Nigga, I think we can ALL agree that SB should have been just Terraria+.
Chucklefish fucked up by trying to be cute and unique when the reality is all they had to do was copy Terraria's winning formula. That's all we've ever wanted.

Terraria, but better, and in space.
SB fucked up on enemy design.
It fucked up on exploration.
It fucked up on bosses.
It fucked up on items.
It fucked up on upgrades

I swear, if I could actually code and had a bit of money to spend, I'd be making a Terraria-like game that focuses on all of the key points that make Terraria so fucking good.
And those things are excellent biomes that are filled to the brim with items, hazards and enemies unique to them.

You find a new biome in Starbound and what changes? Nothing besides the brick color basically. Enemies remain the same, there's next to no unique hazards, no unique items (wew some furniture shit).

Pisses me off just thinking about how hard SB dropped the ball.

Fuck it and its cutesie enemy design.

What the fuck?
In expert if you start a "puritan" build Melee is by far the best.
Let me school you a little bit.

Mages have a hard time because of debuffs from mana potions and what not so you can't have the same DPS as a ranged build, however mages have more burst damage that is essential when battles become a DPS race.

Ammunition shouldn't be a problem until hard mode for Ranged because crafting frostfire arrows or buying silver bullets is a joke, however you lack the sustain mages get in hard mode

Summoners are absolutely shit until early-mid hardmode and even then your spiders are shit compared to literally every single magic weapon.

>Melee
By far the easiest and most reliable class, not only it has some of the best weapons during early and hardmode but also can sustain and take fucktons of damage.
>But the vampire knives are shit.
Indeed but that's only to sustain, the best weapon in the game is an early hardmode weapon called the fetid bangarangs which deal 3k DPS, are easy to reforge and are the fastest weapon in the whole game.

Not only that but Melee accessories are objetively superior even though most are just based on defense but this is good because you end up getting super tanky while still dealing more damage than any other class wishes they could do, you only get outclassed after the moonlord by the last prism and other endgame weapons.

>tfw i played mage when mana potions had 0 second cd and i also used easy mode mana flower so i didn't even have to manage my mana

Yeah, back then mages were hands down the best.

>Melee better than ranged
lmao t.b.h

>I haven't tried melee builds
>I'm a 1 trick pony

My experience with Starbound was finding it unplayable. The mining is atrociously slow, the combat is a pest, crafting is a mess and the "story" didn't justify any of the gameplay annoyances. Terraria I found more accessible overall, but in the end it just bored the snot out of me, the bosses are just bullet sponges, basic shit you need to make the game not a chore is a gamble to find, plenty of things you cannot craft out of raw materials. The fact that they're both 2D really hurts the experience.
If they wanted to make a minecraft competitor, they should have gone all the way. Minecraft is really barren without mods, most of which feel tacked on and buggy.
The only good thing to come out of minecraft is factorio, all things considered.

try playing with a friend

Not him, but it's not metroidvania.

Its progression curve, SPECIFICALLY its progression curve, is metroidvania-esque given that, by the nature of the game, you're going to want to revisit a lot of areas well after you've first seen them, as you won't necessarily be able to get everything you can out of an area your very first time through, either due to it being hidden or locked off, or simply out of sight because you weren't as thorough with slower mining tools. Hallowed/Unholy deserts, Hardmode jungle, hardmode dungeon, jungle temple, stuff like that.

I've beat the game on expert hardcore mode as a Spear only user, mage, bow only user and a Sword only user.
Tried flail only but it's LITERALLY impossible to beat the Wall of Flesh with the flails, and yes, I mean literally as in, not a case of skill but it's just flat out impossible no matter how much prep you have.

Nothing compares to the late game bows.
From start to finish, ranged is the superior choice on all fronts.

Melee have issues with a number of bosses, especially when you're playing on a mode in which death isn't an option.
Wall of Flesh is the first extremely difficult boss to melee down and takes far more prep and finesse than just equipping a ranged weapon and staying away from The Hungry while wailing on him.

As a ranger, Yoyos won me over.

>Just flat out impossible no matter how much prep you have
Not necessarily. Sticking up close to its face and throwing your flails up, particularly the sunfury, will cause it to linger on the upper eye for multiple damage ticks then come back down to the mouth.

Expert-wof, you can take advantage of its recall time as the Wof speeds up to use runfast boots faster than the flail can return, just sticking on the mouth.

It's not optimal. It requires a large world and lots of defence and probably other tricks for regaining health too. But it is possible.

Just, y'know, about as possible on average as taking on Expert Duke Fishron without armour not long after you first get into Hardmode.

>Melee have issues with a number of bosses
Only if you're sticking to the real world definition of "melee", instead of the game's definition of "melee".

>far more prep and finesse
Yoyos exist. Dark Lance exists. Building a bridge above the bridge to limit the eye's ability to spam lasers at you does a lot.

If you set up jellyfish/slime grinders in your arena, they'll start dropping mana stars the moment you start spamming magic. With a celestial anything, you'll be picking up those mana stars from pretty far away, making it fairly simple to sustain mana without use of potions.

It's possible to kill Plantera with a Copper Shortsword. Never give up.
youtube.com/watch?v=LFKYvQy_mVU

You'd be using the Scourge of the Corruptor to hit shit without actually having to aim.

>Not necessarily.
No, really, it's not. I saved that characters data before the fight, not for the purpose of cheating but just to see if it was possible and I never got close to getting it below its final 1/4 health.

Large world.
A runway spanning the entirety of hell from literally one end to the other.
Camp fires setup throughout the entire runway.
Hearts that I farmed from enemies left out for pickup during the battle.

Hellfire Armor
Absolute best accessories for that point in the game, with EVERY piece having the Warding modification.
Every potion you could ever wish for pre hard mode.
Max health (durr)
Sunfury with the Godly modification

Flails do not have the range required to safely attack the boss without dying in seconds to The Hungry, especially later on in the fight where their damage raises so high that if you run into them you're going to die within 2 seconds, despite all of that armor you have.

The fight ends one of two ways, you either don't do enough damage before you get to the end of the line of hell, in which case it's game over (And that happens a lot)

Or you play more aggressive and end up dying because The Hungry cannot be killed in a timely enough fashion with flail compared to other melee weapons, and thus you die to them.

I also asked a few people who I know of that also do challenge runs similar to this, and non of them could kill the expert mode WoF with a flail either.

Flare2v is one of those people Dunno if you know of him, he's a twitch streamer that has quite a few successful terraria challenge runs under his belt.

Terraria had good content and does all the important things right.
Starbound has a lot of bad "content" and does everything important wrong.

Starbound is a game about exploration that tries to make the exploration as frustrating and annoying as possbile in order to make you wish that you would just close the game, delete it, install Terraria and grab a pair of wings to get the frustration of oily planets and 100m/s gravity out of your body.

>>Nothing compares to the late game bows.
>From start to finish, ranged is the superior choice on all fronts.
I would have taken you seriously but this truly shows you know nothing about terraria.
If you were to talk about magic I would consider your opinion as someone without much experience but after that it makes you look like a fag.
You don't know shit about itemization and arena building, not to mention expert which is a mode about cheesing bosses and preparation and you couldn't even think about a way to defeat WoF with a pure melee build.

Server where?

did we really need a billion replies to a post, all saying the exact same thing?

>had a great time grinding gear and progressing the story
>I enjoyed it a lot more than Terraria.
My condolence to your parents.
Seriously, you had a great time while grinding for the exactly same gear but now with bigger numbers?
Is the pay at Chucklefuck at least good?

>This asshurt cringe worthy comment.
I did beat the WoF with melee builds though, hence the spear only and sword only runs that I've won on expert hardcore mode.

Flail is literally impossible.
If you want to prove me wrong, then feel free to post a video of you beating it with a flail only.

I know for a fact you can't my asshurt friend.

The lategame bows shit on every other weapon in the game as far as damage and safety is concerned. This is universally agreed upon.

>Flail is literally impossible.
Okay, I'll do it.
>The lategame bows shit on every other weapon in the game as far as damage and safety is concerned.
Holy shit kill yourself. Nothing, literally nothing beats the Fetid Baghnakhs pre moonlord.

>roll a Novakid
>Progress through the story
>Encounter Avian, Floran and Hylotl towns
>Can't wait to encounter a Novakid town straight out of some western
>Novakids don't have towns nor are they part of the story at all

I love the illusion of the sword getting slimmer by having no walls behind it at the part over the chain.

Honestly, IF the Terraria guy took some of Starbound's good IDEAS and they collaborated on a good game called I don't know, Terraria: IN SPACE, I'd play the shit out of that.

>Okay, I'll do it.
More like
>"I'll say I'll do it just while the thread is up and then never actually attempt it"
If I and Flare2V can't pull it off, you have no fucking chance.

>Nothing, literally nothing beats the Fetid Baghnakhs pre moonlord.
Except most of the hardmode bows shit on those with ease in terms of raw dps and safety granted.

Host a PvP server, I'll do the honors of streaming it to this thread just to show how much of a shitter you are, you clearly don't know shit about surviving in the game.

I doubt you've successfully beaten the game once with a hardcore character, nevermind a restricted hardcore run only using 1 weapon type.

Post server details faggot, let's play.

Starbound doesn't have any memorable music.
I finished the game completely and I don't even remember a single song.

Were you using a sharktooth necklace? Did you use the Sharpening Station buff? Between the two of those you'd get 9 more armor penetration which should amount to 4 or 5 more damage per tick.

Did you have a thorns potion to punish the Hungry for getting in close?
Any debuff flasks? I just woke up so I honestly forgot if the Wall of Flesh is immune to poison.

Did you try it with a focus on damage on your accessories instead of a focus on defence to kill the Hungry faster and damage the WoF more?

Have you considered working boulders into the equation?

If it makes you feel better, they have towns now.

>Were you using a sharktooth necklace?
Yes, I had every single essential pre-hardmode item available.

I tried them in multiple combinations between attempts too.
I had every single buff you could get at that point in the game too. Basically, there's no other prep I can think of that I didn't have available to me at that point.

>Did you use the Sharpening Station buff?
Yes

>Did you have a thorns potion to punish the Hungry for getting in close?
Yes.

>Any debuff flasks?
Flask of Fire

>Did you try it with a focus on damage on your accessories instead of a focus on defence to kill the Hungry faster and damage the WoF more?

Yes, I ended up spawning in the same accessories I was wearing and changing the modifer on them all from Warding to the more offensive oriented ones.

>Have you considered working boulders into the equation?

That's the only thing I never tried messing around with.

The fight kept ending with the WoF having 1/4 health left, which is when his Hungry start doing somewhere in the region of 80ish damage a hit per one, so getting close is a death sentence, especially since the flail can't outrange them so I can just focus on the WoF itself.

And as I said before, the other main issue is that the Sunfury just can't dish out enough damage to kill the thing before you get to the end of the other side of hell.

It was an annoying end to the run, I was looking forward to the hardmode flails.

>this can't be real
Pretty real desu senpai.
Only difference between races is the look of their weapons. Also everyone makes melee except helium people, they are the only one that can craft ranged weapon until the last stage of the game.

>Novakid
>a race so rare that most people don't know it exists
>made out of gas and no one knows anything about them
>literally not a single NPC reacts to you or mentions anything

Really Chucklfuck?

Now, are you dying before you reach the end of the bridge, or are you reaching the end without having killed it?

You may want to consider, instead of having hearts from having killed things, having a bunch of jellyfish/slime statues grinding out hearts you can pick up with the Heartreach potion.

Did you have both the Crimson AND Corruption damage buffs?

>Now, are you dying before you reach the end of the bridge, or are you reaching the end without having killed it?
Combination of both. The reason I switched out from the warding gear was because even when playing hyper aggressive (despite how dangerous it is to get close, can't stress this enough since the flail is HORRIBLE at killing enough of The Hungry, unlike say, a sword or spear which can clear them out at an acceptable pace) I found myself getting to the end of the bridge before doing enough damage.

After switching out to offensive modifiers, I still was hurting in the damage department only now it was more dangerous than ever due to having much less defenses.

That might be a solid idea yes. Would take an awful lot of prep, but it would mean you could be a bit more aggressive without the long heal up times in between each few attacks.

>Did you have both the Crimson AND Corruption damage buffs?
Nope, part of my restrictions involved not using another world. Or fishing for that matter.

one has an amazing vanilla-game
the other is made amazing with mods

I was spending my time and effort into making an arena just to shut you fucking faggot face up but seeing as you are so eager to show everyone just how much I'm going to fail just confirms that you are a child. Holy shit.

>not using another world
But... the game is balanced using another world.

>or fishing
So you WEREN'T using every potion you could?

No endurance potions?
No wrath potions?
No rage potions?
No heartreach potions to pick up hearts from the eaters?

>the other is made amazing with mods
You mean good. Because that's as far as Starbound gets without Terraria tier magic, mobility, bosses, enemy diversity, biome diversity, item diversity and armor diversity.

star citizen's supposed to be a limited world, a fucking HUGE one spanning multiple star systems

but still limited afaik, so it being "universe-size" isn't really the problem imo

>But... the game is balanced using another world.
It's a restrictive playthrough for a reason.
It's how I roll with all of my expert hardcore mode runs.

I found that fishing just breaks the game incredibly bad and makes it too easy so I crossed that off the list as well.

However, in my last few battles with the Wall I did spawn the potions you mentioned in, because the whole point of me continuing to fight the WoF at that point was merely to see if it was possible with everything available.

I wasn't missing anything from the crimson side so you might as well say I had everything at that point.

I don't want to see you fail though, I want to see you beat it, because I don't see it being possible at all.
You're being an obnoxious faggot though by implying that I don't know how to play the game when I've literally won a fuck load of restricted expert hardcore mode runs.

Just looked it up on steam, shit looks fascinating.
Although what's up with the reviews?
What will you get if you buy it now?
Does multiplayer work?

>fishing breaks the game incredibly bad
But
It doesn't
In any way, shape or form.

So you skip a few pickaxes and can mine faster, in the first 20% of the game, and get an armour that's only good for melee, whoop de do.
So you don't have to suffer random goblin invasions, whoop de do.

So you don't have to mine early hardmode ores and suffer nightly invasions by the mech bosses when you're not ready, or random pirate invasions ever, whoop de do.

So you get a few potions, whoop de do.
So you get like one mount that only works in large underwater pools but doesn't even make you breathe underwater, whoop de do.
So you get somewhat average early-hardmode fish weapons that really aren't that great, whoop de do.

So, once you hit hardmode, you have a potion that increases your maximum health by 20%. Whoop de do.
So you have a potion that makes attacks from very specific ice-based enemies do slightly less damage. Whoop de do.

There is nothing about fishing that could actually be called broken.

How does any of this break the game incredibly bad? At all? That view of fishing is so fucking narrow. Fishing does absolutely nothing to break the game. It gives you an alternative progression path for the first 20-35% of the game and a handful of perks that last throughout that basically amount to removing the chance for bullshit to appear when you're not ready for it, but the trade-off is that you need to spend an absurd amount of time fishing, and an absurd number of materials on potions, to actually get any serious use out of it aside from just the pickaxe.

My biggest gripe about Starbound is that for an exploration game, there's literally nothing to see. Every planet is the same, just with a different color scheme (sounds like a game we know). There's no reason to explore any dungeons since the loot is randomly generated and shit (Managed to reach the chest at the end of the dungeon? Good goy, have 10 pixels). No point in building bases since you're never going back to that planet ever again.
It just feels soulless and pointless.

>How does any of this break the game incredibly bad?
>He says after posting a massive list of exactly how it breaks the game.

What the fuck am I reading?

I think that guy is just crippling himself with playing Expert but also hardcore so he doesn't have the privilege of dying.
Would explain why he thinks ranged is the best..

"everything in the universe" as in massive feature bloat

By giving you an RNG change of getting slightly better gear at a very slow progression rate?
>You can cut 2-3 hours of mining by fishing for 2-3 hours
???????????

>he thinks it's a list of how it breaks the game
You're fucking retarded. Lemme reword it for your retardation.

One skips a few gate tiers, but it doesn't give you everything that you need that exists WITHIN those tiers. It used to be common practice to just go straight to the Eater of Worlds for a demon pickaxe without doing the Eye of Cthulhu, skipping the ore tier. Reaver Shark does the same shit, except you don't get the benefit of having demonite stuff.

No random goblin invasions can be considered as much of a pro as it is a con as nobody is going to WANT to grind tattered fucking cloths to get the goblin tinkerer or shadowflame weapons in hardmode, and it comes at the cost of no meteorites at that. All it does is remove some of the daily annoyances.

The early hardmode ore grind and nightly mech bosses is one of the worst parts of the game. Getting through it a little bit faster is nice, yes, but it's not like it gives you Hallowed Bars.

Potions are potions.
The mount is painfully niche.
The fish weapons are mediocre.
The life potion is basically just an expansion of the life fruit mechanic, but temporary.

How is any of this remotely broken?

I'd say most of that qualifies as breaking the game, yes.
Fishing cuts out every piece of difficulty in the early game since you can skip exploring until you're already stacked as fuck from fishing.

After beating the game multiple times regularly, yes, challenge runs are the only way I can have fun in the game anymore, or crippling myself if that's how you want to put it.

The fact remains, fishing is incredibly safe and makes early game perils a non issue. You can fish to your hearts content, effectively negating any issues with the early game.

In my flail run, I had to do some tricky early game shit to get my hands on the first flail available (ball o' hurt) without being able to kill any enemies before that point.

Had I fished, the process of doing that, along with any other exploration in the forseeable future would have sapped most of the challenge away.

the thread could've ended here but you all chose to keep posting

>Fishing isn't broken I swear!
>Proceeds to list all the ways its broken again
Cannot make this up.

oh? is it the time where we post Terraria bases that look better than Starbound ones?

That's pretty comfy, but I wouldn't be able to make a place that didn't have high quality defense systems with lava pitfalls for the spooky nights.

>every piece of difficulty
It doesn't give you bee armour.
It doesn't give you necro armour.
It doesn't give you jungle armour.
It doesn't give you thorn chakram.
It doesn't give you blade of grass.
It can give you muramasa but you still need to grind out golden keys from killing shit.

Do you think being able to go to the Jungle before you hit the Corruption so that you can utterly demolish the Eater of Worlds is game-breaking? Jesus christ. It's an alternative progression, that comes with costs.

You're breaking the sequence, not breaking the game. Fucking get it straight.

You've got to be fucking with me on purpose at this point.

I bet you bitches don't even build in the corruption

I build in the corruption if I'm using Tainted Elf with the Classes mod, that makes vanilla Corruption enemies incapable of damaging you once you kill the Eater of Worlds.

did someone say post builds

or bring firemoss to the surface all the way up from hell.

tfw you can't artifically create a surface hell biome.

t. angry fuccboi mad as fuck trying to justify his easy mode crutch
lmao

One is a game in which you grind 4 or 6 bosses for 200x times just so that you can get 2-3 drops the others is a space simulator which you can drop after some time and feel fulfilled

Image to big for 4ching.

drive.google.com/file/d/0BxkqKlzBMDb9OHpnNFB6Ukg3NXc/view?usp=sharing

that honey pit reminded me of countless nights spent duplicating water and lava for elaborate constructions

>It doesn't give you [insert items here]
No, but it gives you more than enough to make your journey to get those things much easier.

>Do you think being able to go to the Jungle before you hit the Corruption so that you can utterly demolish the Eater of Worlds is game-breaking?

I'd like to see you try that in a run that is specifically tailored to be challenging by limiting what you can use and not giving you the luxury of being able to die.
You know, the whole fucking point of a challenge run.

I'm hardly going to sit there fishing, skipping the entire point of the run.

Go fishing at the ocean for a Reaver Shark - it's a pickax on par with molten and will speed up your exploration and digging quite a bit. Mining potions are also handy for this.

kickstarter.com/projects/1695500207/planet-centauri-2d-rpg-sandbox

I was so hyped for lava planets, and they really do look pretty.....but that's all there is to it. They could have coded monsters that swim in lava, they could have added giant melting mechs boss fights, and ways to actually travel through the lava, but no.

This isn't about your challenge runs anymore. It's about whether or not fishing is game-breaking. And it's not. It makes the easiest part of the game slightly easier in exchange for making it infinitely more tedious. Fishing would have next to no impact outside of potions once you actually get to the mech bosses, which constitutes MAYBE the 33% point of the game's overall progression and content.

Actually, hell, in some ways fishing CAN provide an increased challenge. Because you can fight Duke Fishron the moment you enter Hardmode, although good fucking luck killing it.

That shaft I built to go through the lava ocean might have been my single largest waste of time in this game.

>One is a game in which you grind 4 or 6 bosses
You mean like the 20 bosses that totally don't exist or did you stop after building one house?

>This isn't about your challenge runs anymore
Then your posts being directed at me are pointless, since the only thing I've talked about this entire thread have had challenge runs in mind and fishing without a doubt makes them too easy.

That makes me lose even more faith

>fishing without a doubt makes them too easy
It makes 25% of them too easy in exchange for making 25% of them mind-numbingly tedious. If you had used this as your primary point all along, it would have been fine.

But you didn't.
You said "fishing breaks the game incredibly bad."
Which it does not.

If you had said "Fishing makes the start of the challenge run too easy," it would have been fine - it would have been relevant to your personal runs and experience, and it wouldn't have been wrong. But you said "fishing breaks the game incredibly bad," which is, not only a point on a completely different subject, but also exaggeration to the point of being flat out wrong, since the statement:

1. Encompasses the entire game instead of the start of the game.
and
2. Doesn't provide nearly enough benefits to break anything but a little bit of the sequence, and ignores a significant amount of content that is integral to progression of various classes in doing so.

>doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about
>rumbling about old Cred Forums
fuck off gramps

>They could have coded monsters that swim in lava

What's the point of lava if not to keep enemies away?

Tedium isn't really an issue in hardcore runs since you'll tend to be playing slow and steady for the most part anyway, to ensure you don't die and have your time wasted.

>But you said "fishing breaks the game incredibly bad," which is, not only a point on a completely different subject
Except it's not on a completely subject. Everything I've said has been in direct relation to the challenge runs I've been playing, which fishing does break for the reasons I've already given.

I'm not sure why you somehow think I need to explicitly specify that I'm talking about my challenge runs with each statement when It's abundantly obvious that they're exactly what I'm talking about anyway.

Recommend me some mods.
I started a new world but after 10 hours it got tedious and I didn't want to kill the moon man this time.

Because this is how the English language fucking works. The way you spoke, it became a side-comment on the qualities of fishing, rather than how it affected you and your run personally, and furthermore wasn't even fucking correct.

If you had said "fishing breaks the challenge I'm going for"
If you had said "fishing makes the start of the run too easy"
If you had said "spending time fishing to avoid danger isn't how I want to play"

Literally fucking any of these, or anything to that general effect, would have avoided this entire exchange. Instead, you said fishing "breaks the game", which not only encompasses the entire game, but also implies that the effect is somehow bad or undesirable, followed by "incredibly bad", which overly-exaggerates the effect of fishing as a whole. In no part if this sentence, aside from the fact that it was included in a post which was composed of multiple parts that replied to multiple subjects, some of which applied to your challenge run, actually made mention of said challenge run, nor did any of the context around this sentence.

The form and function of the sentence became that of a side-comment that exaggerated the impact of the mechanic to an extreme degree whilst implying that said mechanic was a bad thing as a result.

If you are incapable of comprehending this, then your comprehension of the English language is poor. The argument, made incredibly pointless by the fact that you claim that your comment was meant to apply specifically to your challenge run, resulted from your flawed understanding of the language.

Go back to school and take English courses again. No, I don't care about the possibility that it may not be your first language. This entire exchange did not need to exist, and only did because of your carelessness.

I played Starbound through to the end and had a good time, though the Ruin was pretty meh and there wasn't much to do after that.

I'd play it way more if there was interesting stuff to do, because I liked running around in SB more than I did Terraria. There's more to explore, and all of it is done pretty well, but it all just holds the same shit.

That was Blue writing those poems. He was a PR guy that got fired.

Your post style is cringe worthy as fuck, I couldn't even make it past the first few lines of your post.

Seriously, I've never seen somebody damage control so hard after getting BTFO instead of just admitting they misunderstood and instead decided to sperg out.

Embarrassing, tbqhwy.

>Only argument is "N-n-n-no I b-blew you out! Stop telling me I'm retarded!"
Neck yourself, autismo.

Surface Hell and Sky Hell could have been fun easter eggs, come to think of it.

The most commonly known content mods, Thorium and Tremor, add way too much OCDONUTSTEEL side content and way too much broken content, just bloating the game in general, for me to recommend them.

I can, however, recommend these two:
>Prefixes for Enemies : This mod adds various prefixes to enemies that can give them various qualities, including increasing their size, making them split upon death, causing them to reflect debuffs back at you, be weaker to certain damage types or debuffs, and so on. The mod also includes several new items, dropped from enemies with a particular prefix, that are based around increasing the number of options you have in terms of HOW you play the game, including bows which can be charged, gunblades that buff melee or ranged for using both parts, magic rings that run on a charge system that replenishes over time, rapiers that have a countering mechanic, and more.

>Class Based RPG Mod : This mod lets you choose a class when you start with a new character. Every class has some stats boosted, and other stats reduced, as well as an active-use ability, and sometimes passive abilities. Your stats and ability strength grow with every new boss defeated.
~~The Tainted Elf for instance gains insane bow and arrow damage in the corruption, and once you beat the eater of worlds vanilla corruption enemies will no longer damage you, similar to using the Royal Gel. Furthermore its active use ability lets you fire an infinitely piercing unholy arrow with enhanced damage on your next shot (I find it works very well with the bows from Prefixes for Enemies) that also spreads Corruption. However, its bonuses are only active in the corruption.
~~The Harpy class gains general ranged bonuses, and has BUILT-IN wings, and additionally can fire off a spread of feathers for its ability, yet suffers from short flight time in the early game, piss tier movement speed on land, and will not get bonuses on land.

>Mad as fuck that his entire cringe post got disregarded.
Loving every laugh.

>He thinks that was my post

fuck
it looks like im still alone in liking starbound even more than terraria
>the building is much better than terraria's building
>i prefer exploration of 20 different types of planets with 2-3 out of 20-25 mini biomes on each planet and not being trapped on one small island with like 8 different biomes
>combat has pros and cons on both games,and both systems are ok (though i honestly prefer terraria's)
>the starbound soundtrack is so much better than terraria's
>the story/lore is better even though the main storyline is only ok. meanwhile, terraria has nearly none
>starbound has better collectibles and rare objects than terraria
>terraria has worse visuals for just about everything. character customization, art style, etc
>i like space exploration games
and so on

>You will never be ruined so hard that you have to pretend you're somebody else

Pottery.

Don't even reply to the guy. He's just trying to extend the bullshit further than it already has been.

You're so bad at samefagging that it hurts to look at.

>the building is much better than Terraria's building
>>no slopes, no half-blocks, no ability to actuate blocks, most natural blocks cannot be painted

>the starbound soundtrack is so much better than terraria's
It is relaxing, yes. It is, on a technical level, of higher quality, yes. However, it all fucking sounds the same and none of it is memorable, plus none of it actually inspires you to feel energetic and be active in the game.

>the story/lore is better
It HAS story/lore, but that's not necessarily a pro. Terraria proves that it is not required in a sandbox adventure.

>starbound has better collectibles and rare objects
???
Do you think collecting furniture so you have the ability to duplicate it using money is somehow good?

>terraria has worse visuals for just about everything.
I would contest that. Terraria at least doesn't look bland as fuck. Starbound's huge pixel style and reliance on pillow shading and a general lack of details in the environment are fairly significant cons to Starbound's visuals.

>i like space exploration games
This is about the only real point you have, and the only real point that matters, and yet I would contest that there are better "space exploration" games out there, period, with significantly better story and lore to boot. Like, for instance, Star Control 2. It's freeware. Go enjoy it.

Instead of trickling in, come in together.

samefag

dumb nigger

>Prefix and class based RPG mod
I think i'll play those after the thorium mod.

It's ok, it's not bad or great but it gets the job done. The main issue is that most themes are far too fucking short and some don't even loop at all.

Take this: youtube.com/watch?v=DBCR-yMtTBM

I think it sounds good and fit the event it plays in amazingly, however besides being short it doesn't loop at all.

Starbounds music being good is the dumbest meme I've ever heard.
I swear, that shit puts me to sleep and plays a major role in making me drop the game every single time.

I think there's 1 track that I enjoy that plays at night time. Everything else is the epitome of bland.

Terraria's music isn't anything to write home about either, but I would definitely take it over Starbounds music any day.

I bet you don't even Dorf Fortress

Melee is clearly intended to be used against almost exclusively against small fries. Also if you want actual imbalance just look at summoner builds: that shit is pretty much good only for afk farms.

>tfw I rolled for Crimson because of how unsettling it is

The first world I made in the very first playthrough was Crimson and the music change and Face monsters freaked me the fuck out

I like them both. Starbound isn't nearly as bad as Cred Forums makes it out to be. I'd also argue it has much more lasting appeal, especially if you want to build stuff.

Genuine retard.

samefag

Corruption is best, prove me wrong.

Only neo-terraria players like Crimson.

Nice bionicle

Terraria is about progression, and as of now has all the content updates it could ever get.
Starbound is about exploration. The devs have no fucking idea what they're doing. it seems, so the beta was a complete clusterfuck. Now it's somewhat playable and consistent, but it has only just released so it seriously lacks content. Can only hope it gets better.

Are the new bionicles worth it? Also why the fuck there are two new versions of Galis, Onuas etc right after another?

Starbound actually has good music.
None of it is actually in the game though. Because Chucklefuck.
youtube.com/watch?v=tONfEAQdDiQ

Played since before Crimson, Corruption is pure shit and has always been.

Bullshit, T5-T6 planets in particular have some great BGM.

Terraria is better by miles. No competition. The two games are in complete different leagues.

I thought so. I've always wanted to make a mod that let you have bionicle masks, although I'm unsure of how broken some of those functions would be.

I actually like their builds. It seems to be a nice mix of the old technic system and newer shell-based systems. They've even got gears!

And it seems all of the Toa got a new and improved version, the Uniter versions. I guess it's the Toa Nuva all over again.

i have played both for countless hours.

Terraria have the better loot system/progression/combat but starbound wins in the exploration content/base building by a million miles. Anyone that doesn't at least admit this, is a raging fanboy.

Terraria have 2 dungeons, starbound got around 10 or more, and some of them are bigger than starbound.

Does this make the Master series obsolete or just different?

Just different. The builds are completely different, with the Masters having a gear system for their arms and the Uniters having a gear system for their waist/torso.

Truth told, my local wal-mart never caried more than Gali, Pohatu and Lewa and the spider fuck, so I never got Tahu, Kopaka, or Onua, and they never had anything past those initial four.

And I'm too fucking lazy to go over to the Lego store since that'd be a longer bus ride, maybe two.

>those chains

Absolutely great

> but starbound wins in the exploration content/base building by a million miles. Anyone that doesn't at least admit this, is a raging fanboy.

No it doesn't.
I'm not a raging fanboy either, I'm just somebody who doesn't have dogshit taste.

Starbound can't have good exploration because there's fuck all to explore. The biomes in Starbound hold nothing, they are worthless, they do nothing.

The Starbound "dungeons" are also pathetic.
Terraria's dungeons might as well be its rich biomes which are filled with unique creatures and hazards.

It has to do with Terraria giving the options and inspiration to that creator

Can't you just order them online?

Starbound is bad but please, PLEASE remember that of all the Terraria clones on Steam it is the ONLY playable one.

Do NOT buy Planet Centauri or Crea or Edge of Space or anything like that. I own them all and they're garbage. Just fucking start a new game in Terraria, you probably already lost your dosh to that shyster Tiy, don't be a fucking sucker again.

I... don't order online. That's a slippery slope that results in a lot of money disappearing very quickly. Also I don't know how to do it.

I'm fairly sure this is just pixelart, it wasn't built with actual blocks.

Terraria has around 36 biomes (inc. minibiomes and hard mode variants), Starbound has around 18.

This exploration meme needs to stop.

It was. You can see the builder standing in it.

There are some things there that look a bit finicky though, such as floating lanterns and banners, but it's possible those may be bugged in legitimately via some kind of ice wand bug rather than using tEdit.

Apparently people think flying to a near carbon copy planet with minimal changes = more exploration.

I mean if they want to continue to delude themselves by thinking that, they're free to but I know for a fact Terraria is a far more enjoyable game to explore than SB.
You actually get rewarded for exploring in Terraria for one.

you just admitted you have never played starbound
good job

What? You just buy a charge card, put money on it go on your favorite online store (the official site has one) then follow the instructions.

Is there any way to make SB fun?
Even after all of these years, I want to like it but I just can't.

That moment when you first use grav. potions to reach sky islands.

I have played it. Quite recently in fact.
Instead of shitposting, maybe use an actual argument?

Should I?

a lot of stuff you posted was false info, bud

I dunno, I thought what he said was pretty accurate in all honesty.
>inb4 you think I'm him, not that I give a fuck

You mention some things in that pic I didn't even know existed.

Nice non-argument.

Shitposting faggot spotted.

What info was false, then? Use examples.

>not knowing there are actual collectibles when playing the game for 5 minutes would tell you that there are
>terraria doesnt look bland as fuck when it looks like a fucking flash game
>terraria has memorable soundtrack

Terraria does have a memorable soundtrack. When the rain biome first started up I even put it on my playlist.

> terraria.
> bland.
Says someone who never made it to hardmode.

> collectibles.
Are entirely optional. But go ahead and 100% it if you like. If you have nothing better to do...

>not knowing there are actual collectibles when you would know there are within 20 minutes of gameplay
>terraria doesnt look bland as fuck when it looks like a fucking flash game
>star control 2 is enjoyable
etc

Are you telling me you can't hear the daytime music when you see this?

Deet doot doot da da do doot doot, da da dee doot DOOT!

I'm calling devshill right fucking now.

MODS.

Definitely melee, hard as fuck to kill the HM bosses with just melee weapons.

not even kidding i thought that thumbnail was this at first

Terraria is just a shitty version of Minecraft, anyway.

Same with the boss theme to be honest.

>Florans (savage planet/flower race) use to be the "nastiest" creatures in the game, saying shit like "you looksss tasty" or "Ssstab"
>Now they say shit like "You florans new best friendsss!" and other hug boxy shit.

Except they don't? I very recently got starbound and played it, and they still said hostile stuff all the time, sometimes things like "give me a reason to chase you" or something like that. They did sometimes say things that were much less hostile, but I don't remember anything like what you said they say now. Generally the only nice things people would say are things like "welcome!" or "you can stay so long as you don't cause any trouble". I don't know if being an Avian character had a big impact on it was since there were occasional unique lines from NPC's about the fact I was an Avian, but the game never felt "hugbox-y"

Said the faggot that can't even defeat expert Moon lord.

Yeah, sure.

someone post a comfy new server please
i wanna relax and build stuff with anons

Dumb frogposter

As someone who put close to 70 hours in Starbound and about 400 in Terraria I can verify this.

>The whole "le more content" meme seems like just what it is, a meme

For a guy who says the word "meme" a lot you sure don't seem to actually understand what that word actually means.

Starbound is to Terraria what No Man's Sky is to X3; Reunion.

Terraria's dungeons are a fuck-ugly mishmash of hallways, traps, and decorations, while Starbound has hand-designed rooms that look sensible.

I mean, Terraria's dungeon has content unique to it, which is pretty huge considering what Starbound does, but if you think a warped mish-mash of hallways is better than pic related then you're out of your fucking mind.

Forgot pic

Scrublord can't deal with spikes on everything I see.

>Starbound
>No real incentive to build anything right off the bat. You could work directly from your spaceship if you wanted.
>Always end up just clearing out some random dungeon on a arbitrarily chosen planet to serve as a home base

>Terraria
>Some actual incentive to build a base. Need to house NPCs and keep them safe as well as get yourself a safe place to spawn if you die.
>No surface dungeons to clear out and make your own from the start so you actually have to build and maintain your own house

It's a real shame because I do like how building works in Starbound, but I never feel the need to. Once you get a couple upgrades to your ship, that's it, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to build a base unless you want randomly generated quests for sub-par rewards.

terraria is a game where you can fight and explore in order to progress, as well as build
starbound is an online service for deviant sicko furries to erp with eachother

t. guy who got swarmed by angry bones and got his shit thoroughly pushed in.

terrarias music is goat tho

No

> chucklefucks shiteaters are all tumblrites that got so triggered by different race perks that they all had to be made human

I can confirm this sad shit, i remember going to a SB server to play it, and guess what the fuck i found, full of furry role play and even a comunist style castle

I remember having fun griefing that cringe server, everyone inside was a total arrogant holy shit

Im starting to regret having bought this game, once you finish the main quest, there is really nothing left to do, unless has a lot people said, you like base building but, even in that game there is not real challenge, there is not satisfaction going from to another planet to other, theres nothing, really

The devs when the game was EA promised a diferent mission per each race, with conflics and a lot of lore

But what we got in the end?

>Removed a lot of lore
>No point of playing another race than just cosmetic armor and player

The planets are not a challenge i repeat, i remember playing since the Koala version and had something, good, the monsters were more diverse and we had a real threat per planet, even on the starter planet i had a space junk rain, was so cool, the danger, the will to survive that while you collect resources, man...now this game is extremly boring and "nice"

So fucking true that hurts

True, and every patch to Terraria has been good
Many quality of life changes but also a lot of end game content, so much that playing solo can be a grind, but it's still better than Starbound will ever be, and I pre-ordered Starbound back when it looked like Terraria wasn't being updated

Tips for reducing grind in terraria pls. Other than git gud. Fishing is an option but I only have fisher of souls atm.

Also, a good deal of those 11 hours was because of shit programming that didn't shut down properly
Around 20$ it cost me, but Terraria I'd bought in a four-pack with some high school vidya bros, about 10$ each

Try TimeSpinner. The dev frequently streams his development of new areas, which mostly consists of him editing individual tiles to make everything look just right.
Seems like it's going to have a hybrid of Castlevania and MegaMan X gameplay, too.

I dont build there because my npcs cant live there

>Tips for reducing grind in terraria
what are you grinding

Reach cavern-level and search for loot there, you can pick up ore easily from the sides of the caverns and you cover more ground faster this way, if you're playing solo you shouldn't have much trouble getting all the gear you need, except sometimes for the stuff you find on sky islands if you have shit luck
Also, you can summon and grind low-tier bosses for demonite ore and stuff which you can sell for ez gold

I normally have three worlds going at the same time. The first one I make my base in and typically get to hardmode on. The second for more variables in skychests and other things which gets turned into a secondary base/storage depot. The third is my expert world which consistently kicks me in the teeth.

Is it literally a case of just build a hellavator and go to a specific z-level? Do ores spawn more the further you go down or something?

Why the fuck is this allowed?

R8.

>tfw sandless

I dig the surrounding landscape
>tfw Redigit made flat land around spawn much more common
I miss starting on some weird ass cavey cliff to dig my base into.

10/10 it's ok

Just a tad better than mine.

you'll need more 'tism than that

this

Terraria has a lot more in terms of gameplay. Stuff like accessories and a ton of unique weapons really makes it interesting to play it and try something new. For me, building is more of stroke when I feel like I must build. Usually comes after beating the patch and when I'm bored of farming.

Now Starbound is all about pretty stuff. With all its weapons with unique effect and mechanics I still don't think like trying something else, like doing a boss run in a different build. Because there is no such thing as "build" in SB.
Instead, the whole selling of exploring "unique" worlds boils down to hunting for new vanity items. Or building a base with some (e)rp.
There is no point in digging in SB. Once you get a top armor of your choice, all you do on a new planet is go fast, hoping you'll see something you haven't seen yet. Copy/pasted dungeons with samey rewards (or no reward due to borked world gen) get annoying really fast.
Grafix tho. In a very rare moments SB can look very good. And bigger pixels are a bit more appealing, but that probably because I played terraria too much (steam says I played Terraria for 500 hours and SB for 400, but that's horseshit, I don't remember playing sb so much).

Can't wait for Terraria Otherworld.

>That shaft I built to go through the lava ocean might have been my single largest waste of time in this game.
Tell me about it. I'm still making a bunker tho.

>I don't remember playing sb so much
Because it counts the launcher which runs as a background application in some instances to artificially bloat play time.

This is the truth.

I am reaching 1400 hours with Terraria.
I have around 60 with Starbound.

Starbound is just boring as shit.

MODS WILL FIX STARBOUND

>asymmetrical structures

My inner autist is upset

I only ever turn on Starbound to jack off to the vore mod.
It's not even that good, but I take what I can get.

You won't ever build anything worthwhile if you can't overcome you fetish for simmetry.

starbound one is better looking than the one you posted, try to post a better example, to better support your statement, please.

That's a nice mod there. Too bad it's trapped in a shitty game.
Speaking of mods, does anyone know exactly how easy it is to mod this game? I was thinking of doing something to make the game as less shit as I can.

Terraria is a completed released game but it still have some big updates. Starbound was abandoned by developers.
t. user who played and completed both.

>try to play with someone, on a server maybe or duoing
>fresh characters, fresh world
>eventually reveal they brought later-game shit in from another world

Every fucking time
Why do people do this?

>tfw can't make this tree not awful

This will explain a lot regarding starbound.
Rho is a former dev.

>tfw servers with platinum tools

>Pass user since 2014
w-what? is this a thing now?

>just about to hit hardmode with someone
>whips out the lunar portal
idungeddit

>r-read the glassdoor page on valve to get a REAL IDEA OF WHAT IT'S LIKE

yeah people who got fired because they weren't good enough and vengefully post shit online are the best source of information

Like always the furry shit

ayy.

>catching dudes duping
Like.. I rejoiced with the apparent/supposed super efficiency

Because some shit is annoying as hell to get again or impossible to get on certain maps.

No, see
If you had just raided a pyramid
Then went to other single player worlds to raid more pyramids

Whatever, that's fine

But if you're just about to hit hardmode, you don't whip out a fucking lunar portal summon.

The upper part is quoting someone else. I should edit it sometime to cut that out and cut down the image size.

The bottom part is Rho.

Starting from scratch is boring as shit. I never do.

Then I hope you don't go into new character servers expecting them to understand when you bring in a Last Prism.

i want to see that, link?

I saved it from here, man

So, we're in agreement that Starbound was at its best just after switching from koalas to giraffes, but before release, right?

Honestly, I don't like the cliche'd hackjob story they put together for 1.0 either, but it doesn't affect gameplay, so I can sort of overlook it and just pretend it was never there.

SAIL

Haven't played since the update with the Sharknado boss, and I've lost all my saves since then. Is the new content worth checking out?

I promise I'll try out another build besides boring melee this time

Yes its great and nice and good.

Many new weps, new pretty char making items, new fights.

Also starbound sucks all the weps and enemies differ only in numbers so it feels the same 5 mins in as 10 hours in

thats funny,
because i never have any clue as to what the fuck to do in terraria

how the fuck are non-autists supposed to know where to go, or what to combine???

The boss themes are actually pretty badass,
especially Plantera's.

Terraria:
Open ended.
Themed around player personal progression.
No story, but a high level of interaction via boss freedom of choice (To fight).
Heavy focus on Multiplayer.

Starbound:
Much more straight-forward, special dungeons are hand-made, not random.
Themed around world/plot progression.
A story is available, via NPC's and boss encounters.
Heavy focus on Singleplayer.

The fucking Guide.

terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Guide

>or what to combine???
you don't have to know shit, every recipe is shown in the crafting areas

>As someone who has played Stabound for +400 hours

Guys it is so bad, but I played 17 days straight!
Do you realize what you are even saying?

The specific room, while better put together, looks boring as shit to actually play through.

nice base, rather comfy

kind of makes me want to do another world

>sharknado boss
So 1.2.4, when fishing was introduced.

1.3 was dropped which added new bosses and events and expanded mounts further and added a whole bunch new shit
1.3.1 was dropped which improved wiring a hundred fold and added controller support
1.3.2 was parties
1.3.3 was an improved underground desert

Pretty alright mang.

The only bad thing I can think of for terraria is that some combat builds aren't completely viable.

Does starbound do anything right? It didn't look good but then 1.0 or whatever came out and somehow made things worse.

Any item with "material" in its tooltip can be shown to the Guide to find out what you can make with it, what you need to stand near to do so, and what other materials you need to make it.

Talking to said Guide NPC can also give you hints as to progression as you do things.

>this game with an ass-slow progression and a lot of interesting but ultimately worthlessly cosmetic content and loads of mods took a long while to figure out and reach the end to properly assess it

Also it's fairly common knowledge that early iterations wouldn't actually close the launcher when you closed the game, which ended up bloating your playtime to the extreme. For instance, Steam says I have 75 hours in Starbound, but I know for a FACT that I never played more than maybe six at most.

>I think someone said it was because the devs couldn't figure out how to get the story to progress when each race had a different ai
"We're all the same AI but we're just taking different forms to suit you"
Bam I'm already a better writer than Chucklefuck

It's not particularly difficult to be a better writer or game dev than chucklefuck.

Like, even someone with no artistic or coding skills could likely design a better game than them. You just have to be capable of analyzing actually good games to their most basic parts, finding out exactly why they do or don't work in different areas, and try to recreate that with a unique spin on it.

The game literally start you out next to the Guide, an NPC who tells you every crafting recipe in the game and gives you hints on progression.

>4chanites
are you even a channer?

Basically

Hey dudes, i read somewhere that Molly had sex with his dog, that shit is true!? i demand sources if is just a joke...

archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697749&pagenumber=158&perpage=40#post461760624
It's an archive, however. You have to pay if you wanna see anything "new" from SomethingAwful IIRC