>Skins, crates, microtransactions
>Shady as fuck virtual items market
>Virtual item gambling
>Constantly avoiding law and taxes
>DRM
>Monopoly
Valve is literally killing PC gaming

Other urls found in this thread:

geekwire.com/2016/valve-leases-nine-floors-downtown-bellevue-doubling-office-space/
youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-Bf1tQcPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM
riftherald.com/competitive/2016/9/22/13021502/crowdfund-lol-esports-worlds-prize-pool
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>killing PC gaming

kek
More like they're shitting up their own games and then just fucking left.
Valve have a golden opportunity to actually get shit done on infinite money but their retarded roaming developers strategy from day 1 fucked their game support/development over, in addition to failing to expand offices and actually hire producers to get shit going.

They're all pretty much just working on Vive which is not going to generate jack shit for anyone since the only thing to wait for is 2nd Gen VR while games that make it worthwhile actually come out (and even then you're looking at like 10% game usage for VR MAX). Any developers they have are tied up in a useless endeavor, and they won't unfuck their games that make money because "to us this is a successful system".

Retards are voting to keep their games fucked and they won't rework them or make a sequel attempt until they die off, even if nobody actually fucking plays the game as a result of these faggots (e.g. "friendly heavies" in matchmaking).

Dota is a weird anomaly. They have a huge playerbase because of poorer countries like Russia and how unique the game is, but they're only making money by hyping esports with compendiums, and buying compendiums is fueling compendiums being bought and leveled because ALL THAT MONEY HOLY SHIT BIGGEST EVENT OF THE CENTURY, which means Dota is fucked the worst for Valve but is the most profitable still.

The only thing that truly bothers me is the extremely outdated and shitty interface for chats, communities and the timeline.

>in addition to failing to expand offices and actually hire producers to get shit going.
Honestly i don't understand how the fuck this is still the case. This "we want to keep company small" is retarded, it's like a kid refusing to grow the fuck up

>>Greenlight
Very little moderation of the greenlit though.
>>Early Access
Same as above really, plus you have eternally early access games.
>>Customer support doesn't exist
It does.
>>Shitty meme tier overpriced Steam machines
That isn't an argument, selling overpriced shit isn't evil.
>>Paid mods
A stupid idea which they dropped, also note that Bethesda moved away from the workshop with FO4.
>>Shitty workshop design
It has issues, but not all games support the nexus mod manager.
>>Slow and buggy as fuck Steam client
It works.
>>DOTA 2 tournament is crowdfunded
A cut of a certain item sold is put towards a reward, so it isn't crowdfunded.
>>Skins, crates, microtransactions
Crates only really became a cancer with CS:GO, microtransactions were a thing before.
>>Shady as fuck virtual items market
How is it shady? If we're talking about the community market, it isn't. If we're talking about the trading scene then it is entirely on the people doing it.
>>Virtual item gambling
Define.
>>Constantly avoiding law and taxes
Source please, I haven't heard about this but I don't keep up with news.
>>DRM
Not an argument.
>>Monopoly
They don't anymore.

valve gets sued all the time in Europe for dodging fucking everything
do a quick google

I hope some fans make a shitty hl3 to spur valve on.

>>>Virtual item gambling
Their marketplace system and trading has basically created an underground economy where people will go online and gamble using their high dollar CSGO items, or use real money to buy/sell them. It's gotten to the point where there are hundreds of thousands of bucks going into this.
They sent emails out to some of the bigger CSGO gambling sites to stop it, but I'm not sure how many more appeared in its wake. Also the crates they have for every game might as well just be like a slot machine.

>>Skins, crates, microtransactions
>Crates only really became a cancer with CS:GO, microtransactions were a thing before.

Crates have been cancer ever since TF2 started up its trading thing. People were also pumping real money into keys to trade and uncrate in hopes for an unusual, but it wasn't as insane as CSGO is with it now.
the rest of the post is just Cred Forums shittalking but the trading/economy systems that were going in their games probably made more money than the games themselves. It is also mostly underaged kids playing around with (what represents, at least) real life money by buying these guns nd gambling with them. Also they kinda do monopolize PC gaming though.

Also steam machines aren't really evil, but just overpriced and shitty. They were a bad tactic to get consolefags to take the leap to PC, but they neglected the fact that a lot of the $300-$600 steam machines still can't run every new game, which is all console gamers care about most of the time

>It does.
read the stories about people trying to return their stolen accounts. It's so bad that might as well not exist
>That isn't an argument, selling overpriced shit isn't evil.
It's stupid tho. And basically they failed, nobody wants Steam machines
>It works.
Crashed all the time when i try to play youtube video. Also outdated as fuck and no tabs, like what the fuck. Also what this guys said >Crates only really became a cancer with CS:GO, microtransactions were a thing before.
And what about Valve closing servers with free custom skins?
>How is it shady? If we're talking about the community market, it isn't. If we're talking about the trading scene then it is entirely on the people doing it.
>Source please, I haven't heard about this but I don't keep up with news.
What this guy said >Define.
Just google "CSGO gambling". Valve gave these guys all the APIs to make skin gambling possible
>Not an argument.
kurwa!

The thing about Greenlight though is that it is an alright idea, let the community vote for games they want.

Problem is that people vote for games just because, not because they want to see it on the steam front page.

Kinda the same with early access except another problem arises when they aren't bound to finish the game ever.

> Not inherently bad, it's the fuckers that use it
> Not inherently bad, it's the fuckers that use it
> Okay, yeah, this is very true
> Ehh, they don't make them, the prebuilt companies do. You aren't really getting anything out of it anyway and you can just install SteamOS on your own PC. Pointless, but not inherently bad
> Reverted in less than a week
> Not inherently bad; most of the time the companies that make the games that have workshop support are to blame. The interface does suck ass, but it isn't something to call Valve "Evil" over. It isn't motivated by greed.
> Sucks ass, but it works. You want flashy graphics, go Big Picture.
> What the fuck else money are they going to use, CSGO bucks
> Yes, this is bad, but would you rather have that or yearly CS installments like CoD, or have the game abandoned in 2013, or have it cost $60? The game is constantly updated, costs about $15, and you don't actually have to buy any of the microtransactions. They don't help you win, and you get drops anyway
> True, but they've been trying to crack down on it and it's mostly the fuckers that use it
> See above
> When were they doing that?
> It's either Steam or SecuROM. You think that without Steam companies would just say "Nope fuckit we're not going to have any DRM"? Fuck no retard, they'll just either implement their own shitty DRM or spend money licensing one, and it'll be intrusive and horrid. Steam's DRM is really easy to crack and has provided a "Way in" for beating Denuvo. That, and you don't even have to implement the DRM if you don't want to, as a developer.
> True, but they're better than everyone else. At the very least, other platforms exist. Don't like it, go to Desura or GOG or Origin or UPlay or exclusively play DRM-free games, which are plentiful - see the Humble store, GOG, etc

Valve fanboys need to go die, but so do the retarded contrarians who bash on Valve just for the sake of doing so. They're not that fucking bad, people.

These are all valid complaints except for DRM. Steam itself isn't DRM but Steamworks (the optional thing that devs can choose to use or not use) is. The devs are just as much to blame for being douchebags when it's not required. There's even a wiki of games that will run if you move them out of the Steam folder and can be launched + played without Steam.

>except for DRM
kurwa

I put alot of t̶h̶o̶u̶g̶h̶t̶letters into that post and you didn't even read it all the way.

Because you fucks keep letting them get away with it.

>thing i hate for no reason
>legitimate complaint in years past that they've actually seen recent success improving
>shit they backed down from immediately, admitted they hadn't considered the full consequences
>thing they invented and popularized isn't good enough
>thing they invented and popularized isn't good enough, also bullshit
>bullshit (crowdfunding is begging for free money with possible hypothetical 'rewards', selling products and guaranteeing a percent of profit goes to something is just effective marketing)
>industry-wide bullshit which they have actually set the gold standard for fair and honest implementation (
>legitimate complaint in years past that they've actually seen recent success improving
>bullshit
>absolutely legitimate complaint, particularly in terms of refunds which they had to be dragged to kicking and screaming. generally universal megacorp cheesiness aside from that, and their low employee count which gets them regulatory hate but really that's on the regulators.
>industry-wide bullshit which they have actually set the gold standard for fair and honest implementation (offline mode)
>legitimate complaint, but they're actually the furthest thing from anti-competitive you could ever hope to find and their hegemony (not monopoly) is borderline-natural and otherwise actually earned

also they stopped making single player games 12 years ago, which is the worst part.

Having your game tied to an account is a form of drm.

ITT people bitch about the things about valve that make them one of the few decent game companies

No shit they have issues, but getting bigger offices and forcing devs to do shit they aren't interested in isn't going to improve their games. The entire company lives to experiment, that's what they use their money for. We don't see 75% of what they make, the 25% we see are the gems.

Maybe thats for the best, HL2 wasn't very great, just alright

>wait... didn't we used to make games or something?
>eh, who cares

>valve
>one of the few decent game companies

I dread to hear what you consider the other ones to be.

Valve is in a weird situation where they don't want to be seen as a competitor on their own marketplace. This was one of the #1 complaints from developers during the early days of Steam, and it was when they started correcting it that Steam really started taking off as a general marketplace rather than a Source Engine Game Marketplace. I suspect this is what lead to their relaxation of their (formerly annual) release schedule, more than any other single factor.

With their free time, Gaben has spoken openly of Valve as a quasi-watchdog for the industry, his belief that having the money and security of Steam requires them to focus their other efforts on things they believe the industry at large is failing at, rather than just being another competitor. We've recently seen the big reveals of many of these 'industry leading' projects - OpenVR, Vive, SteamOS, Vulkan, Source 2, Steam Controller (which it is important to keep in mind is MANUFACTURED entirely in-house, and so can be considered just a first step towards much greater things down the line) and Steam Machines (likewise, just a first step to possibly making Steam a PC hardware marketplace as well as software).

You're way too pessimistic of VR. Don't get your opinions from Cred Forums memes. It is already a multi-billion-dollar industry, probably somewhere over 100 billion just in recent R&D and acquisitions. It really is finally here. Anyone who's tried a Vive know this.

it's ironic this is the direct complaint, considering it was recently announced they'll soon be moving to double their floor space.
geekwire.com/2016/valve-leases-nine-floors-downtown-bellevue-doubling-office-space/
Knowing Valve they'll probably dedicated an entire floor to be an open space 'holodeck' (and this is not even a joke), but that will still leave plenty of space for new staff.

Don't worry, the only other "companies" that I think are good for the gaming industry are either one man teams, small teams, or valve/CD projekt red.

Die young or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

>valve will never get the reputation as a shitty business and shoddy developer it deserves because it's eternally riding on the coattails of games it released over 10 years ago

>valve is evil
>t. Cred Forums
needed this laugh

>implying that I'm going to bother defending Valve

There just isn't anything better than Steam right now.

Stop shitposting Cred Forums, and make a fuckin game Gaben

>Evil

When shit like EA and Ubisoft exist we know you're just a salty cunt saying things like that.

EA has a shitty DLC scheme.

Valve retroactively removes ownership rights from any and all games bought through the steam store.

Wake the fuck up.

All I'll say is this: Somebody was going to create a virtual store for games. Would you rather it was one of the bug publishers?

Are you seriously complaining about vac bans you fucking idiot

>DRM
>Not an argument.

My only argument's going to 'be fuck you, go join your mother sucking dicks in hell', then.

You don't deserve any better.

Holy fuck.

Valve changed the TOS last year in June. Remember that big pop up asking you to agree? It basically said Valve owns your games, that you are only renting them, and that you can't file a lawsuit against them should they ever decide for ANY REASON that you shouldn't have them.

>Valve changed the TOS last year in June. Remember that big pop up asking you to agree? It basically said Valve owns your games, that you are only renting them, and that you can't file a lawsuit against them should they ever decide for ANY REASON that you shouldn't have them.
Wasn't their TOS like this since like 2007?

The updated version last year was to counter several court cases in Europse and the US. Previously we could actually own some games, but required permission to access Steam servers. New update basically said "fuck it, you don't own anything".

Valve is a shitty company. The sooner people stop worshiping them, the better.

>The updated version last year was to counter several court cases in Europse and the US
Oh so those fuckers can't hire a proper moderators and customer support yet they have money for lawyers
Fuck them

games have always been distributed as licenses, with anything else being the exception. yes, forever, it wasn't valves doing, or just an emergence alongside internet distribution, it wasn't anything but absolutely the standard for the entire history of videogaming. you have NEVER owned your games.

>they can't hire robots but they have plenty of money for lawyers they won't need, since they fucked us over and updated the tos
Valve is a bunch of fucking idiots.

I don't understand why people get so fucking salty here about Valve

If you don't like them don't use steam. You have that choice.

Contrarianism, Valve was loved for years and the Gabe memes spawned here, so naturally now that they're mainstream the current runs the other way

>if you don't like valve, don't buy video games
Where am I going to get the latest indie shit? GOG? The DRM-free downloads that show up on Humble Bundle sometimes?

>Previously we could actually own some games, but required permission to access Steam servers. New update basically said "fuck it, you don't own anything".

>95% of games already distributed as licenses
>4.9% lack any meaningful legal self-description, and would have to be examined on a case-by-base basis in any future legal dispute
>0.1% are explicitly sold as the game data itself, with absolute rights. all of these are actually scam asset flips which must be sold this way because the seller themselves doesn't have any right to limit the license.
>valve tweaks legalese to create a uniform standard

>FUCK THESE JEWS STEALING MY GAME EVEN THOUGH I CAN STILL ACCESS IT NOW. THIS LEGALESE CHANGE MEANS THAT SOME TIME IN THE FUTURE I MAY NOT
>HOW DARE THIS MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY HAVE LAWYERS
>HOW DARE THIS MULTI-BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY NOT HIRE MODERATORS TO WATCH OVER EVERY INCH OF THEIR SOCIAL NETWORK PROGRAM WHICH FEATURES USER CREATED AND MODERATED FORUMS

EA plz go.

If you want to get pedantic, yes. In the old days you bought the physical media, and the license agreement. The license let you play/use it legally. Its the thing that said you couldn't redistribute.

I don't use Steam.

If I see someone stealing from a child, I try to stop them though.

it is genuinely just neo-Cred Forums hipsterism. it's disgusting, especially when it's occuring alongside people outright praising the likes of Sony, Microsoft, etc.

Pirate them.

>If you want to get pedantic, yes.

No, if you want to be fucking correct. There's no pedantry involved, it's the fucking facts.

and if i'm not a neet?

>centralized platform for games, no more meddling with physical media or dozens of small stores from various publishers
>fast downloads, cloud support
>overlay with chat and stuff
>sales
>almost no downtime
>choice of drm for the devs, unobtrusive drm, no longer starforce and similar crap
>trading shit for those who care
>community forums as a cheap platform for devs
I don't see the problems people have with Steam and Valve

Also cheap distribution for small studios, enabling indie devs

>wanna buy a skin for the MMO
>usually play it via its own launcher
>skin can only be bought via Steam Market
>I have to spend 5 dollars there and meet a bunch of stupid time conditions, longest of which is 30 days from the first sale or something
>can't buy the skin for a fucking month
>have to spend additional 5 dollars even if skin costs 2
Steam is shit

>terrible terms of service
>scummy company, running off steam and microtransactions alone, hasn't released a game in years
>customer support is robots
>greenlight
you negated pretty much everything

>That isn't an argument, selling overpriced shit isn't evil.
So when Apple does it they are the worst company in the world, but when Valve does it everything's alright?

says the contrarian who has to go out of his way to tell everyone that "unlike the REST of you sheep i stand firmly by valve's side and refuse to sway to popular opinion!!!"

blame Russian organized crime. seriously. this shit was necessary in the face of absurd amounts of money laundering that used to define the community market.

>buying skins
>playing star conflict in 2016

>Why Valve is such evil company?

WTF?! He's our true lord and savior.

Gaben is our God you better take those words back, fuckers!

I know it's been getting shittier and shittier lately, but sadly I don't know alternatives. Is Fractured Space any good?

>terrible terms of service
People have committed CC fraud and their accounts haven't even been banned, just their buying rights revoked
Their ToS are perfectly fine
>scummy company, running off steam and microtransactions alone, hasn't released a game in years
Turns out that they're now focusing on being a distribution platform mainly instead of being a game developer foremost because they're a business and it's more profitable, how dare they
>>customer support is robots
Yes, one of the few legitimate complaints you can have about Valve, they cheap out in that regard
>>greenlight
Gets me more indie games to play and the shovelware games don't affect me in any way whatsoever

This seems like it's trying to hard to be reddit humor I almost thought it was made on Cred Forums. Almost

No I just look at the company objectively and find more to like than dislike since I've had only good experiences with them in the 8 years or however long I've been buying their games and using Steam, and see that most of the complaints are opinions or just greentexting random facts hoping people will think that it's somehow a bad thing

Nah, they're serious.

Don't know anything about it but it's store page really wants you to know that it won best moba

>DRM

Spotted the piratefag

Did you ever stop to think that if people didn't pirate shit they wouldn't have to put that in? Only yourselves to blame.

forgot this abomination
youtube.com/watch?v=Pt-Bf1tQcPQ

>all these Valve/Steam cocksuckers in this thread

Jesus Christ.

I remember a time when people were (rightfully so) upset over this Steam shit. Now there is an army of nu male cucks who are actively begging to take it in the ass.

When did everyone become such bitches?

>superior TOS to any other online marketplace, especially after they were finally forced to begin their refund program
>company so committed to encouraging competition they leave the AAA game business after their online marketplace becomes the market leader, to avoid competing from a privileged position

No one can argue their support has been the worst in the industry, but they've acknowledged the problems and it does seem to be slowly getting better. It's hard to tell, unless you have to deal with them yourself, but there certainly are less first-hand horror stories doing the rounds these days.

>greenlight
fuck off. there is literally nothing wrong with the greenlight concept. the restrictions that would be needed to prevent any genuinely scummy parasitical 'developers' exploiting it would defeat the entire purpose. greenlight is just another shining example of how Valve really are the good guys in the gaming industry. they want competition and access for everyone.

>but they profit from it and that makes them evil
of course it also benefits them to do so. if it weren't their marketplace, they wouldn't be the ones making the decisions in the first place. and then there wouldn't be this unparalleled openness. because, of all the major online distributors, only Valve is so committed to openness and competition.

>get blown the fuck out by arguments
>resort to crying like a bitch nigga

>mmmm yes gabe, deeper mmm

numale cocksucker

>The last time Valve made a game was DOTA 2 and Portal 2
>One they barely involved themselves in and the other is a 2 hour memefest

I honestly don't think Valve has ever really cared about the Steam controller selling. It was purely manufacturing practice for them.
youtube.com/watch?v=uCgnWqoP4MM
Their next in-house manufactured product will be the really interesting one.

Heh, those guys are reason I just don't buy games on PC anymore and instead I pirate and play everything on it and then buy console version. Fuck those immature cunts.

I think the main thing here is people being disappointed that Valve don't make AAA games anymore, because they used to be very good. If they started doing that again most people here would be happy with them other than a handful of DRM obsessives.

I don't really see them as 'evil', it's just sad because the whole thing is just a huge waste of potential

>nu male cucks
>>>redddit

>I remember a time when people were (rightfully so) upset over this Steam shit.
Yes user that's because you've been here for three years tops and don't know about the time when people didn't circlejerk with irrational hate about Valve because their special snowflake memes escaped into the wide wide internet

People here are as addicted to Steam as normies are to Facebook. It's pretty much the same thing, haven't you seen the "Steam Avatar" threads?

Of course Valve can't do anything wrong. Just like no normie will ever even think of Facebook doing anything wrong. It's really ironic how everyone here shits on Facebook but is a Steam junkie and no, they're not addicted to the videogames; they're addicted to the social aspect of it. They play videogames for achievements and cards more than for the games themselves. They try to impress with account xp and jerk each other off over which silly reaction image they use as an avatar. They buy games just to inflate their account's "worth" and look videogame "savvy".

It's pretty goddamn silly.

Steam isn't good, but alternatives are far worse.

I absolutely agree and I don't exactly dislike Steam myself, I think it's a great idea. The Steam barebones is great: a general, user-friendly platform to buy, update and multiplay your games.

I just don't like certain choices they made and I don't like how it's turned into Facebook: Videogames version.

I thought that law trumps whatever they make you sign, anyways

PCucks literally cant defend this.
Why are PCucks the biggest and most cancerous joke.

Better not forget to pay for your online acess to play multiplayer and acess your "free" games.

Portal 2 only happened like 5 years ago.

>split screen gaming
Hah! Modern consoles don't do that anymore.

Some games still do but devs are too lazy to put it in the game. They'd rather force people to play online since then they'll have to pay for PS+/XBL.

>>DRM
it's up to the publisher, you can have your game on Steam and still be DRM-free

>being this retarded
Steam itself is literally drm dumbass

Yes, multiplayer removed split screen gaming. But that's what consoles are best at. It's one of the advantages consoles have over PC and they don't even have that anymore.

>Greenlight
Nothing wrong with that
>Early Access
Nothing wrong with that
>Customer support doesn't exist
Mad you got banned for hax?
>Shitty meme tier overpriced Steam machines
Who's forcing you to buy them?
>Paid mods
Mods are free user
>Shitty workshop design
Opinions
>Slow and buggy as fuck Steam client
How's having 256mb of ram?
>DOTA 2 tournament is crowdfunded
And this is bad because?
>Skins, crates, microtransactions
This is bad because? You can make money and buy games for free, I don't see the problem here.
>Shady as fuck virtual items market
What's shady? Drop item, sell item, make dosh.
>Virtual item gambling
Which is bad because? Or you're just buttmad some people have 500bucks knifes and you have to eat potatoes every day?
>Constantly avoiding law and taxes
And this is affecting you how exactly?
>DRM
Just like everywhere
>Monopoly
Not really, there's piratebay, GoG, Uplay, Origin.

Neo/v/ is becoming pathetic.

Oh wow, great arguments there slutboy.

Why would I argue with a delusional steamfag. That's a rhetorical question, don't answer it and have one last (You) from me.

>DOTA 2 tournament is crowdfunded
riftherald.com/competitive/2016/9/22/13021502/crowdfund-lol-esports-worlds-prize-pool

:^)

B-B-B-B-B-BUT LE GABE IS LE GOD XD
HALF LIFE 3, WEHN? LOL

The cake is a lie and there's no number 3 :D

Greenlight isn't bad, the entry fee just needs to be higher.
Even just increasing it to $500 would curb a lot of the trash.
>hurr giving valve more money
They'd lose more in the long run since I'm gonna guess A LOT of games don't get past greenlight.

Gabe said that Greenlight was a mistake. The goal is to allow anyone to sell anything with Valve just providing payment and bandwidth.

Gabe lost touch, most of the company decided they didnt want to make games anymore, the ones that do left, the 'work on what you want' policy doesnt work anymore and internet memes made them think they can do no wrong.

Okay okay I fucking hate Steam. But to be devil's advocate:

Holy shit their games are easy to pirate. Steam_api.dll was thoroughly cracked a decade ago. So that's nice.

I have faith in thee Gaben amen.

>DMCA
>meaning something outside usa

Stay mad americuck

Can you buy a game on Steam and play it without the Steam client?

>adding a refund system to counter asswipe developers being asswipes
>evil
hm

>Account gets hacked by some argentian
>See people complain how valve takes DAYS to get accounts back to proper owners
>Fuck it. Start going through valve employee list to see their Emails.
>Email them my problem and my ticket number.
>Next day I have my account back.

Shitty customer support is a meme.
You guys just dont know how to complain better.

Thank God the new devs of Gears 4 know that couch co-op is a must in a GoW game. And they said that there will be split-screen on the PC version too.