What is his appeal?

What is his appeal?
I've watched a bunch of his videos and I feel like I need to be either very young or very stupid to find any of it funny.

Most of us were 18-20 when he started broadcasting. It was hilarious at the time. He's not really funny anymore, but he's kind of grandfathered into my list of shit to watch.
Similar to AVGN/James, JonTron, LGR, and cr1tikal.

LGR was never funny. He's an annoying fuck. I only watch him for Oddware and Tech Tales.

He used to shit on every single game so he was the go-to man for re-enforcing your own opinions.

His "humor" boils down to saying a le random comparison but at super high speeds and in a british accent so people mistake it for intelligence.

>watching any of them

I don't get it either, sounds like a guy in love with the sound of his voice

He was one of the only voices who would shit on AAA games back in the day repeatedly, I don't know how many people recall, but a few years prior the gaming press was even more gross then it is now, fucking everyone was throwing 10's and 9's to FF13 for example.

His shtick became old fast because tons of similar "stand on a soap box and be an edgy contrarian" reviews popped up for literally everything.

He's gotten me to try games I'd have never tried however, Saints Row 2 was something I'd have never tried if not for him.

Anyway he sorta does his reviews on auto pilot these days because it still makes him money, I think after he started writing books and actually getting published and making money he lost interest in being a game critic in any serious manner.

Anyway, I definitely outgrew him around the time I turned 19

>What is his appeal?

Instantly hates everything which makes him relate-able. All the other 'real' reviewers just suck the game's dick for revenue. It was refreshing. He also accidentally created the mustard race meme.

He's still going?
i havent watched ZP in like 4 years

Just watch his earlier videos, like the first year when he only just started.

He was legitimately funny back then. Later on he just started recycling jokes.

I watched him for shits and giggles until I saw him do a few games that I'd played recently and realized that he doesn't actually play the games he shits on.
Then I realized that not only was he not funny, but he was also retarded.

>it's a "Yahtzee makes a shitty metaphor in place of humor" episode

well, if you'd only watch his newer stuff it wouldnt be recycled

So you liked him until he made fun of the games you liked?

No, he made fun of games I'd played a long while back, but then I watched the mhtri review a few months after I played it and realized "wait a second, he played about 30 minutes of this game then made this shit"

That is not okay.

>but at super high speeds and in a british accent so people mistake it for intelligence.
This,

>I don't know how many people recall, but a few years prior the gaming press was even more gross then it is now, fucking everyone was throwing 10's and 9's to FF13 for example.

It's all because of the colorful presentation that fools people into thinking it's some revolutionary cinematic masterpiece, when you take that aspect away it's barely at the level of Compile Heart kusoge across the board from story to gameplay.

While I've stopped caring about Yahtzee years ago I do still admire him for having the balls to stand up to the hype, hivemind mentality and AAA shilling, even if only for a brief while.

This

>and in a british accent so Americans mistake it for intelligence.
ftfy

He has good videos but shit ones as well.

He loves the fuck out of Infinite but says Bioshock 2 is the worst way to do a sequel.

13 was great, and very few publications gave it a 9 or 10. So that's twice you're wrong.

>Lets Drown Out is over

As an American, I've always found Brit accents to sound unintelligent. It's like listening to a thick Appalachian drawl.

He's definitely lost a lot of appeal and edge, because while he was something unheard of around 2007, he created an army of imitators, and in a world of excessively-cynical reviews and rage towards corporate games, he's pretty tame by todays standards

Not that he isn't funny or talented, it's just the same thing he's been doing since he started, and it's nothing incredibly new or revamped, along with the fact that Yahtzee Classic® also had the added bonus of rattling everyone's cages during the first major/unstable transition to a new gen, i.e. "Holy shit, Peter Molyneux just emailed me", where nowadays, the only outrage he gets is from Tumblrettes demanding that he take a side RE: GG

One thing's for sure: Yahtzee becoming the biggest online voice in reviews for a while probably put Lowtax on yet another suicide watch after his failed attempt at getting him to write for the front page before The Escapist, which he would probably pay in unlimited custom titles and unsold Flat Falls shirts

It''s unique. Nothing else is like it.

Articulate and good humor. Witty.

Admittedly, for some reviews he grasps at anything to criticize, on the whole I think he provides good entertainment.

>13 was great

His earlier videos were better because of the originality and the time they were released.

Yeah, he talked fast, and there were dumb animations, but there was and still is a strong witticism in a lot of his criticisms.

Where it started to die is when it hit off and everything started to become really generic, even starting with the intro music to the videos (to be fair that was due to legal purposes). But starting a Bioshock video review with a sampling of Octopus's Garden by the Beatles is ticklish in its' own right.

He shit on the small things in AAA games that many people were ready to overlook and it was funny, it was contrarian. But the longer it went on the more formulaic it got.

Anyway, what became clear, is that Yahtzee ain't very good at video games for one, and his schtick is only (at least at the time) is merely backed by a paycheck.

tl;dr Yahtzee is not bonafide.

I watch him out of habit at this point. There's still occasionally funny lines, but really I just like it because it's familiar.

Judging by the cover is better than zero punctuation by far

I can't watch any of his videos. His accent combined with how fast he speaks and the retarded "jokes" makes it unbearable. It's like someone is farting into my ear.

That's how Bonglish accents are used in US film; intelligent and snooty or evil and snooty.

same here

sounds to me like they have some kind of autism, it's hard for me to understand them sometimes

Reddit loves him, I don't see the appeal.

h-he's going to start a new lp/podcast series r-right?

He basically does the story and calls it there, if he hasn't he'll say he didn't finish it like with Xenoblade X or FFXIII, you can tell because there are parts like MK's challenge tower or HW's adventure mode that you know he would have complained to hell and back about if he had played it.

His Judging by the cover is good because he's being as deliberately pretentious as possible

This shit only exists because of "us gamers." It's yet another Ctrl-Alt-Del that no one can explain years after the fact.

It's kind of like reading the early PA. Eventually PA got better, never quite good, but something you could somewhat say existed for a reason. But when it started, there's no justification for it's continued existence other than the collective groupthink of "us gamers" that makes young impressionable people seek out content solely based on the amount of "gamer" it contains. The difference is that ZP hasn't gotten any better over time. If anything, he's getting lazier and more tired.

>What is his appeal?
He's pretty funny. Labeling his audience as of certain age isn't really an argument.

>le random comparison
But they're not random. I think you wouldn't identify intelligence if stephen hawking fucked you in the ass.
But he is a pretentious cunt, though. His best stuff was let's drown out with his butt buddy Gabriel.

I don't think his books make that much money, the escapist is still his main source of income (and he's their main source of views).

Pretty much, yeah. If they want my views they better reassure my buyer's remorse.

He's streaming on twitch with some escapist sycophant. It's not the same without grabriel and all that sexual tension and banter.

He's pretty funny and I really like his style of "review." But his opinions are wrong 95% of the time.

He's pretty witty sometimes and brings the bants

Get off your high horse

That's true. Ive been living in england for a while and a northern accent just sounds like a fucking yokel

>No, he made fun of games I'd played a long while back, but then he made fun of a game I like
>That is not okay.
No but seriously ZP isn't a good reviewer

I honestly don't know. I used to watch his shit all the time and it just worked. I'm not sure if my loss of interest is because of my own aging, or if his content has just genuinely gotten worse.

Which part? If it's scouse, geordie, or madchester accents I don't blame you

>Watches someone who was interesting in 2007 in 2016
>What was his appeal?

Fuck off, OP. Honestly. Listen to me. Kill yourself. You're a fucking idiot.

>No but seriously ZP isn't a good reviewer
It's more of a comedy show. If you don't find him funny, there's no value to his reviews.

His videos are short, informative and bitchy. And sometimes funny.

it became so boring that he starts an opinion and he never gets to its end, just sampling with random shit, like AVGN does

"its graphics looked a bit outdated, like APU IS UFCKING MARGE WHEN THE COW DECIDED TO SELF FART ITSELF INT OTHE TIME CONTINIUUM, THEN AFFLEC DECIDED TO BE ADAM JENSEN FUCKING UP THE MARVEL UNIVERSE

>streaming
>twitch
>without bumchum Gabe

Yeah nah I'll give it a pass

He lives in San Francisco now I think, Gabe still lives in ausfalia.