Has anybody else here played through this?

Has anybody else here played through this?
How did you like it?

pretty fun and interesting but a bit of let down at the end...

Yeah I thought that too, with all upgrades it was nothing.

liked it, but wanted to love it. the trailers made it look way more active, like mid-apoc, but it's way post-apoc when you're playing. everything's already dead.

Everything I expected. Enjoyed the hell out of this game. Negative reviews bitch about combat and controls. Dunno what that's all about, I thought it was snappy and very responsive.

Music is max chill. Narrative is present enough to be interesting, but non existant if you don't feel like paying attention. I enjoy having that option. 1st playthrough can be easy cheesy for some people, but you can always go hard mode. Lots of metroidvania type secrets, looking for them was challenging and enjoyable. I actually started keeping my own log of where I've been and what I've found in which room, very reminiscent of my early metroid days.

I highly recommend it, it's worth $15. If its on sale, don't even hesitate.

It's alright, not great, but alright, grab it on sale.

Its alright. Though dont buy into the meme to use a controller because some of the dash challanges are a pain to do with one.

Okay, badly optimized. Visually confusing at times. Kind of easy even before the patches to make the game easier. Cutscenes are WAY the fuck too loud.

>Visually confusing at times
Yeah really, ran into walls and off cliffs too often. And the secrets are a real pain in the ass.

How is it badly optimized?

>And the secrets are a real pain in the ass.

This too, it became too much of a pattern of dashing across every possible gap i could find and walking into all the walls in any given room.

No rhyme or reason turned it into somewhat of a chore.

>walking into all the walls in any given room.
>No rhyme or reason turned it into somewhat of a chore.

Every time.
Someone who wasn't paying any fucking attention to their surroundings always has to say that that they couldn't find the walk through walls in literally every thread about this game.

They added markers to all the secrets so theres no real need to run into walls anymore.

Fair point actually, i went overboard, there's definitely some situations where accessible side areas are foreshadowed while passing through an earlier one, still aside from that i think there's too much of what i posted about earlier.

They're not always there though, and sometimes they're there when they lead to nothing.

Trying to go for 100% without a guide is very frustrating, requires a lot of time. I would much rather they had actual puzzles instead of where's-waldo hidden shit.

"I couldn't figure out how to do consecutive dashes with a controller, so controller is a meme"

Honestly I commend you, the game plays like shit without a controller.

It was originally made for 30 FPS, and they recently came out with a 60 FPS patch. However, even when it was 30 FPS, my computer couldn't keep it at 30 FPS in several rooms. It's a 2D game with no shadows. And when the FPS dropped, I am pretty sure my inputs would get eaten.

say what? i need to pay more attention then

Input felt sluggish at 30 FPS, but there's a 60 FPS beta out now so... I guess that's fixed? It's pretty good otherwise. Boss fights are a bit lacking, but overall it's fun.

Sometimes when I'm trying to make two dashes in a row after upgrading, it doesn't always seem to happen. Is there a specific timing?

Will never understand this. Not only are all the secrets marked or shown in the frame for you to find the entrance elsewhere, but they SECRETS.
You don't have to find most of them, and the ones required to beat the game are marked on the map. They are there for people who like finding the upgrades, not for people to bitch about as if it impeded their gameplay.

If you don't like looking for secrets, don't play metroidvanias and complain about the secrets. All good metroidvanias have you running into walls until you find shit. If you've played one before, or have any common sense, you start to realize where the secrets are.

"maybe i should check this wall/path that is clearly not the main path and is otherwise inconspicuous"

How fucking hard is it

Might buy it.
For the Vita.

Those aren't good secrets. Those aren't interesting secrets. Those are symbol hunts, the lowest form of mystery there is.

Even 1993's Doom had more complicated and unique secrets.

You have to return your input to an entirely diferent direction before you dash again.

For example, to dash twice in a straight line, I would input ->dash, dash.

So you kinda smash the stick back and fouth in opposite direction to go straight.

It's a little tough, so you can also just input the diagonal directions toward wherever you want to go. a bit easier that way. so would would dash up left, and then up right, and then up left, etc to go up.

Its sensitive to even the slightest change in your input, but it wont let you dash in a truly consecutive manner unless you hit another input in between dashes.

Alright, thanks user

a handful are symbol doors, and fuckton of other ones are skill checks (dashing over spikes etc) and memory checks (remeber where this is and come back to it later for a reward)

otherwise the floor symbols are (apparently) very hard to see since the autists in this thread had such a hard fucking time finding them. I go with my gut to find the secrets and then check the doorway for the symbol just to make sure.

It's a metroidvania. not doom. You're wasting your time critiquing a game for following the tropes of it's genre in a familiar but challenging way.

60fps torrent where?

>and fuckton of other ones are skill checks (dashing over spikes etc)
That's not a secret, that's just an obstacle.
>memory checks (remeber where this is and come back to it later for a reward)
Lock and key shit that is frustrating when you find before you get the key to unlock them.

>It's a metroidvania. not doom. You're wasting your time critiquing a game for following the tropes of it's genre in a familiar but challenging way.
Most Metroidvanias have lame secrets though. I love Super Metroid, Zero, and AM2R to death but the "discovery" (the part that's actually a secret) is a matter of bombing walls and looking for cracks. Just because it usually isn't done well doesn't excuse a game from not even trying.

>implying anything impeding you from obtaining a secret isn't an obstacle

????

So you clearly understand exactly how secrets work in metroidvanias, and yet have gone out of your way to play a metroidvania and complain about the secrets....

Your idea of a "good secret" is not what metroidvania developers care to cater to. I don't know what motivates you to play a genre of games that have such frustratingly lame secrets.

Please, enlighten me about how amazing the secrets in doom are, and how the ones in hyper light drifter could be more like that.

No, I mean, going through a labyrinth of spikes is a "Challenge". FINDING the labyrinth of spikes is the "Secret". So when I say the "Secret" half is lacking, and you ballyhoo about the "Challenge", that's not quite what I was criticizing. For example, that part in the North quadrant where all the birds swarm you as you try to dash along the cliffside, that's a sweet "Challenge", but finding it is a crummy "Secret" of finding a mark on the ground (or using the sniper rifle, one of the two).

I honestly don't know where you stand on the whole secret thing.

You referenced doom, which, has all its secret behind random inconspicuous walls or over lava pits and other precarious(cahllenging) shit. You say spike labyrinths are a challenge as opposed to a secret, simply because it isnt hidden (even thought the one in HPL is hidden behind an invisible path).

You don't like lock and key, you don't like me calling a challenge a secret, and you don't like very hard to miss floor markings indicating a secret is near.

So what the fuck is your idea of a good secret? Spit it out, so I can go to bed. You already said wall bombing and looking for cracks is lame, so i fail to see how you can justify anything in doom, zelda, metroid, castlevania, HPL..... Like seriously can you stop doubling back on your ultra specific ideals and just admit that no game has you ideal secrets in it because you just enjoy complaining and being a fucking contrarian shitlord who plays games he doesn't even like

i requested a refund after i found out its only local coop

I don't hold Doom as any sort of good game as far as secrets go, I just used it as a measure of "HLD's secrets are even worse than Doom, and that game had meh secrets and is old ha-ha-ha". There's a million interesting ways to hide something in a game and using hidden walls is a cop-out. HLD could have good secrets. You have a dedicated sit down button, there could be a puzzle where you approach some shrine and have to sit down on the mat for something to activate. When you're next to firendly NPCs, your attack buttons are replaced with little animations-- there could be an NPC who only tells you information if you mimic the actions its doing (though it is subtle so you wouldn't notice unless you were paying attention to it). I could go on but since you have to go to bed, sleep tight user.

+nice atmosphere and visual design
+combat is simple but satisfying
+cool boss fights
+music was nice
- but at the same time it's mostly ambience and there's like 4 tracks in total
- the game sets up a story that doesn't really go anywhere (whole plot regarding the Drifter's disease just entirely dropped)
- exploration feels pointless because you're not rewarded with anything outside of aesthetics
- really fucking short

overall i'd give it a 7/10

buy it on a sale. i expected a lot more, but came out a little disappointed

>mfw 60 FPS patch incoming

I'm so buying this even tho I pirated and completed it before

I never paid much attention to it before release. I heard something about content that was promised in the Kickstarter not being delivered.
What was that about?

Frustrating controls
Annoying artstyle

Its not Hitler, just didn't like it

I loved it. Felt like Zelda with combat that's actually halfway interesting/difficult. NG+ is where it really gets good when you can't just tank your way through shit. Anyway 2nd best game this year.

>A sit down button, to sit down at a shrine
I don't think I even need to bring up shadow of the colossus to help you understand that that isn't a secret. That's just shitty, plain-as-day, obvious implementation of otherwise useless mechanics. Most games with shrines have an obvious levelr or yeah, a kneel action. And in those cases, it's just plain progression, nothing secret about it, unless they hid it around a corner. To which, I still don't see how that's any different than anything in HPL.

If you havent sat anywhere all game, and they put one shrine with a nice sitting mat in front of it, how it that any better of a secret than gaining a new dash ability and going back to a place you previously couldn't dash over? If there's a mat in front of the sign at all, why is that different from an otherwise inconspicuously marked wall?

Not to mention how...boring that is? I'll admit the npc mimic thing is cute but...still common sense. Nothing about that sounds any more or less lame than standard spike challenges and door hunting. Certainly not the type of material that would change the state of and otherwise mechanically unchanged metroidvania.

You're honestly just picky and enjoy complaining, so I'm happy enough to leave on that note. You've yet to provide a substantial argument with any decent example of why HPL is truly slighted by it's lack of "good" secrets. You sound like you just wanted a little more variety and if you honestly hold that against the overall quality of the game, you're a bitch. and, again. you don't like metroid vania. stop convincing yourself otherwise and just play other shit, don't complain about a genre people enjoy more than you.

It's mediocre, combat is shallow as hell and there isn't that many enemy types nor is the exploration all that interesting

5/10 It's like fez with swords

Heard it can do 60fps now

Does that mode work properly?

There's a challenge to get the special dash cape that requires you to do like, 1000 dashes in a row. It's practically impossible with a controller because you also have to aim at where you're going, but with keyboard and mouse it's trivial.

I actually beat this yesterday, I had to google how to find two of the key pieces, otherwise it was great fun. I wish they'd done more with the story about the giants, or story in general.

>- exploration feels pointless because you're not rewarded with anything outside of aesthetics

Each cape/robot/sword set actually does something.
Well, all but one of them do something.
And you only need one piece from the set to get the effects, so you can get three effects at once

The effects are:
lower energy use (purple)
faster energy recharge (pink)
more ammo gain on attack (neon purple)
1 extra health (brown)
much faster health kit animation (white)
faster grenade recharge (orange)
faster attack speed (blue)
increased walk speed (yellow)
"bloody mess" (Purple & black)
"it's fucking nothing" (green)

There's also the guns to pick up. The 2nd shotgun and 2nd railgun are particularly out of the way.

That's fine cuz I liked Fez

Same musician for both games.

>there isn't that many enemy types
Wut? There's quite a lot of them, have you checked the arenas fight where you have to fight pack of mobs?

Pretty sure there aren't any enemies unique to the arenas.
But I alos think there's more enemy types than he's giving credit for.

Jumpy goblins
Fat Gatling + sword goblins
Solider Gunners
Solider Rockets
Black koosh balls
Black meat walls
Slimes
Jumpy dogs
Thug Life birds
Fat birds
Flying birds
Ninja frogs
Fire frogs
bomb plants
Fat plants (award for most aggravating enemy in the game)
Honorabu Samurai Warrior
Quick gunner
Crystal spider
Crystal golem
Shielded Robot
Turret

I think that's it for standard enemies.