Civ6 thread

Civ6 thread

Here is the new tech tree. Thoughts?

Next time pick a better picture for a thread opener.
It doesn't seem a lot, does it?

The background looks nice, the icons don't. I get that there's the civics tree providing extra goals but just 2 levels of advancement per era feels too short (I'd rather have at least 3). I'd rather have technology tree extending further into future (an additional future era) and while a lot of cultural advancements of course are in the civics tree, atomic and information era seem too military-focused.

However, none of it seems awful and with civics tree and mechanics like breakthroughs, it does seem like an upgrade over Civ V at least.

ok

Civ: The Cartoon

OP, unless you want this thread to die, link a better picture of the tech tree so I can whine what's wrong with it.

That looks depressing. It's getting smaller and smaller, ages are only a few turns apart. Still begins and ends at the same spot.

Wait, that's it?
THAT'S IT?

open it in a new fucking tab you autistic fucks

Looks awfully barren.
How fast is research?

Even if they moved all the cultural and religious research to the other tree, its still somewhat lacking

I've only played base civ5 but didn't that have almost as much?

Liked civ5. Love how you could autistically tweak every little thing. Don't like the more cartoony artstyle of civ6.

I'm guessing Firaxis expects the civics tree to help fill some of the gaps in a way that policies didn't in Civ V. Or maybe new techs will be DLC.

Future era is cancer, just play Beyond Earth or something

>Atomic and Information era are military focused
You mean like irl?

From that preview playthrough on standard prince I've been watching, they researched it all by around 1800AD.
And the inspirations which half research it and are easy as fuck to get.

Eureka moments will likely be made harder in the final release, or give less of a bonus.
"Build 1 mine to complete 50% of tech" is ridiculous and probably exists to draw in newer players with faster gratification.

So is Civ6 going to be like 5 where science utterly dominates games and no matter what strategy you're doing you always have to put max into science?

Looks as short as my penis, but if I have correct information, there is a separate culture "research" tree as well, so it should not be that bad.

> It's getting smaller and smaller, ages are only a few turns apart.
Less technologies probably mean longer research times, not shorter game span.

I didn't like the look of Civ 6 at first, but it grew on me recently, and looks really great in motion just looking on Marbozir's stream

For comparison.

>expecting release Civ VI to have the same length tech tree as a fully finished and expanded Civ V

the comparison here is techs AND civics in civ 6, not just techs

>Build 1 mine to complete 50% of tech" is ridiculous
Why is it ridiculous? It's somehow common sense that you should have a research bonus in areas that you have practical experience as well.
>probably exists to draw in newer players with faster gratification.
Come on now.
They are trying to attract more casuals with cartoonish/colorful artstyle, those players don't give a shit about some minor gameplay mechanics.

it's because the other half are on civics

> CIV 4 vanilla: 86 Technologies

> CIV 4 BtS : 92 Technologies

> CIV 5 Vanilla: 73 Technologies

> CIV 5 BNW : 80 Technologies

> CIV 6 Vanilla: 70 Technologies

How easy it is to pinpoint the peak of the civilization series

>civics don't count

Now there is an important civic research tree that you advance in with culture, so at least they are trying to do something about the issue.

what I like is that it's part government, part military

so military oriented civs won't ignore culture so easily

Tell me they aren't going to fuck this up Cred Forums

I mean they fucked up Beyond Earth but they learned from their mistakes right?

They released the game for press and streamers, so you can just check it out yourself

I like what I'm seeing so I'm rather optimistic

>celestial navigation doesn't go anywhere

>you can research rocketry before you even start mining

I hope they do something about happiness.

Global happiness is gone.

There's a second civics tech tree just as big.

Is this why he skipped a game?

>huge, vague fields of scientific practices, inventions, improvements, materials, etc.

>stirrups

Is this a fucking joke? Also why does it feel like there are so few technologies to research?

Why does the technology period of this game's units end in the fucking 1990's?

I'm not going to enjoy building 10x more cities 10x wider. I was starting to like the artstyle but I'm not sure how much that's going to change if I don't have ivory and glass tower cities at the end of my scientific research. Or if I do but I'm sending F-35's and M1A1 tanks to fight my wars.

Is this solved by the civics tree you guys are talking about?

I mean as long as it isn't an eyesore, I'll be fine. But if I'm gonna play this game for 5000 hours it better look pretty good.

pic related

Different teams

Civ 6 is being headed by the people who made BNW, i.e. competent

Stirrups were a massive development in warfare, just as much as gunpowder was. Won the Normans the battle of Hastings.

Civics tree is a completely separate tree that probably has all the things you're thinking of

Wouldn't expect glass cities though, Civ 5 didn't have those either

Might as well post the civics tree.

>Before SS + GOMAD and After

>Less technologies probably mean longer research times, not shorter game span.
And it also means less variance and guiding players through an even stricter path because toddler audience.

They have put the missing technologies in the civics tree,

So I don't get it, do the technologies in the two trees have to be researched consecutively or can it be done simultaneously?

One is searched with science the other with civic (culture) points.

Late-game tech looks like boring shit again

It's so sparse. Maybe that's just how it looks, but it feels like there's only 3-4 options at any given point

The UI is pretty drab. I'm seeing a lot of aspects of this game that are gonna feel watered down, less complex, and much faster.

I just want Civ 4: 2 - Brave New World (Civilizations 6 TM 2016).

I won't mind the cartoony artstyle even if it's sparsely decorated if I can have a throne room and build my cities a little more tall than wide.

nigga this already looks more complex than V

> I'm seeing a lot of aspects of this game that are gonna feel watered down, less complex, and much faster.
Which game are you looking at? All what I'm seeing is Civ 5 BNW concepts being enhanced and elaborated.
They are also trying to address issues of dominant science, tall being too strong, 1UPT, and many others.

You can stop now.

Another civ game that gets boring mid-late game?

great.

dumb frogposter

The inherent problem is that every single 4x game is boring mid-late game compared to early game, because early exploration and expansion is why you are playing this genre in the first place.

True, I guess

I think all of it would feel worth it if you have the sense of actually building your civilization and protecting it with troops and diplomacy, but it doesn't feel like it at all

Its looks homogeneous and simplistic, from a lot of the gameplay iv seen you really dont have that much of a choice

Stellaris sort of ruined tech trees for me, having a bit of RNG you can influence but cant entirely control makes for a more interesting tech tree than knowing the whole thing in advance

I think this might be the biggest issue with the games.

Diplomacy has nowhere to really go.

It's all plugging holes in a leaky ship.

Diplomacy options are only there to make sure that you or your friend are caught up with culture, research, etc, preventing or enacting war, or trading resources.

I can't think of many more things to do because it's not my job to but I'd like to see a bigger told for Diplomacy and Politics in the Civ games other than just being a means to a faster end.

I'd like to see throne rooms that I can partially customize which also get decorated according to my actions with diplomacy with other nations. e.g. Darker or more Decadent if I'm militaristic or generous and diplomatic.

Same thing with Leader appearances. I understand that this may go against historical accuracy but it mite b kewl. As opponent leaders attack other nations, they're appearance changes, e.g. darker clothes, darker lighting, vice versa with diplomatic attractions...

It might encourage leaders to be more interactive with helping other nations later in the game or influencing how they interact with eachother.

I know it sounds a little wierd and that it might result in nations sabotaging others and themselves and everybody is gonna end up with dark lighting and thunder in their backgrounds, because that's just the way Firaxis' AI works, but Diplomacy is fucking boring and it's need of an overhaul or some sort of additional useles features of some kind.