Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs
youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik
youtube.com/watch?v=3Mz5YPkThOU
youtube.com/watch?v=6O3NyNHpMx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wow I think there has never been a game that failed harder

Curious what people really expected. Outside of the few things people are complaining about like different factions and ships not being there, what did they want from the core gameplay?

for it to be fun

But in what way?

It didn't advertise a big story or heavy combat. It was always just wandering from one procedurally generate planet to the next finding random things.

For it to somewhat resemble the aesthetics of any of the gameplay previews.

When a game feels like a chinese ripoff of its own trailer, there is a problem.

Also, the only objective is to mine so you can mine some more. Unless you count the reset at the center of the universe.

Flying sucks. All ships are the same. All GUNS are the same.

Animals look retarded.

I pirated this game, and still feel like i should get a refund.

(cont.)

Also, not only does every planet seem the same. Every barren segment of each individual planet is basically the same. You don't even need to go to the other side of the planet to see all the game has to offer.

that the planets are different.

It still has some interesting aesthetics, but variety is definitely a factor when the devs said there'd be different ice/water/desert planets and the like.

Tree of sAvior deserves it more

can you be bothered to do a google search?

here let me spoonfeed your retarded ass

youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

>It didn't advertise a big story or heavy combat.

it did advertise heavy combat with massive space ship battle and giant monsters

both of which are not in the fucking game

planets don't even have interesting features like mountain ranges or oceans, it's just a very small repeating grid pattern of slightly-randomness.

What a disaster this game was. A beautiful one, too.

Screw Hello Games. What a garbage game

The lobotomized flying was what killed it for me. I might have been able to put up with everything else if the flying had actually been decent.

the fact that it had content they didn't want spoiled was heavily advertised.

Do you reckon Sean Murray has hung himself yet?

It advertised trading, warfaring, space combat etc...

All of which is only technically there, it's so shallow and unrewarding that I completely gave up on it a few hours in. The only real gameplay it has is mining shit in order to upgrade your stuff so that you're more efficient mining shit.

It really is a bad game, it's not just overhyped. It fails at doing everything it sets out to do. Procedural generation is repetitive and you've seen all it has to offer after a handful of planets. You never get a real sense of exploration because everything has signs of civilization already and at the same time it all feels empty and immersion breaking. The metacritic score is way too kind IMO, I'd give it a 4/10 at most.

>Reminder that they still use bullshit footage and screenshots not representative of the game to advertise NMS on steam

I feel so bad it's like the game actually had potential but there's literally nothing to do but collect resources to upgrade your stuff to collect resources more efficiently. Even the combat is barely implemented because there's only two kinds of enemies you ever see and you don't even have to engage them

youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs
It's basically the space age equivalent of this

This shit happens to a lot of games. Gearbox promised 8 bazillion of completely different guns, Peter Molyneux... well, he existed. Neither Fable, nor Borderlands received a lot of hate because they were actually kind of complete games that are enjoyable to play. Now No Man's Sky doesn't even deserve to be called a game, it's like a pre-alpha version of an early access piece of shit shovelware

>Ludicrous promises
>Dodging questions in every interview
>out on gog at release
>a week earlier on consoles so people were already panning the game for being shit for a week
>people STILL bought it en masse on steam

At this point i wish piracy did something.

To be fair, Borderlands didn't straight up lie at all. The random attribute system DOES give you billions of guns. It might not be overly complex but it's there.

No Man's Sky lacks actual features promised entirely.

It should have launched at $15-20 USD.

Geoff Keighley said it should have been early access, but after being in too deep I don't think that was an option. Especially on PS4.

I think they should have launched at the lower price, with a plan for unpaid improvements over several months (to match the promised features) and a specific big expansion for $10-$15 a year later.

They don't strike me as a bunch of greedy developers so all that leaves me with is them being either horribly naive and immature/inexperienced.

>7500 "recent" reviews

Are people stupid? Why would anybody buy this game at this point?

to be an immersive exploration experience and unique creatures.
it just feels like part of animals from earth mashed together.

I still don't get why they haven't replaced the Steam trailer.

They should have enough money by now to do a new, more honest one.

So either they're greedy, they're scared of legal implications, or they're incompetent.

Battleborn

Some of us tried to warn others but they wouldn't listen. How could a studio that had only made one mediocre excitebike ripoff go on to make the second coming of christ sandbox games? Fucking hell people don't use their brains in 2016

Forgot that it was that expensive as well. People might have been a little more forgiving if it was 15-30 price range.

Tree of Savior didn't cost any money. If you bought early access after playing the beta you're an idiot and even then a lot of brazliain/russian type folks actually made tons of money out of it.

I figured the color swap people were exaggerating but they were right all along.

>Land on a planet
>It is toxic/radiation/barren themed
>Animals are mainly quadrupeds
>Perhaps there are some birds
>Rocks consist of the big one, the hexagon, the pointy one
>Similarly, all planets share the same plants
>Every planet has alien outposts
>Every planet is similar

I wanted to give this game a fair shot, but it blows.

13% of 7579 is 985.

It is not unbelievable that a thousand people bought the game in the past 30 days without seeing all the media circus around it - or even checking steam reviews.

The game didn't fail at all. Sure, it's a shitty fucking game but in this day and age the actual quality of a game matters very little.

Make no mistake, No Man's Sky was a massive success

So has sean murray gotten plastic surgery and changed his name? or is he actually fixing the game?

It has just enough "survival" elements (constant recharging, extremely limited inventory) to be annoying, but nowhere near enough to make interesting gameplay. It was not designed with fun in mind.

i meant as in it was a huge disappointment
of course they made big money.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

I don't know why people are so up on that. The announcement trailer wasn't that misleading. It doesn't tell you anything. Its mostly the things that came out of Sean's mouth that's wrong.

I think it should just be a red flag when a game advertises the number of combinations of their procedural generation algorithm as a main selling point. NMS was especially bad with that.

It's very easy to get ridiculously large amount of "not technically the same thing" with a procedural generator. Just randomly changing the color of the same item can give you millions of variations.

What matters is how good the game is at generating interestingly unique combinations. And IMO that's NMS's main failure right there, the procedural generation just isn't good enough. If it was I could forgive the rest, just going from planet to planet to discover new unique and interesting environments, that would be a nice time waster. But as it is you start seeing repeated assets as soon as you get to your 2nd planet. This is just ridiculously bad.

He doesn't have to. Normies will fall for the buzzwords when Sean decides to shit out his next game and it'll be a huge seller

ît was very misleading. they even fucked up the most simple things like animation speed of the creatures not scaling with their size, as you can see here:
youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

>The announcement trailer wasn't that misleading

It shows several creature configurations that don't exist/cannot be generated, and several events that cannot occur in game.

This is the first trailer that plays on the steam page. It's blatantly false, just as with Colonial Marines.

Probably not, since hype is funded the same way that basic quality and content are.
AAA games are too well funded to not feature some basic competence as games, even if they are horrible disappointments like bethesda shit.
NMS was special, since the massive hype was funded by sony, yet the game was not.

Mandatory

youtube.com/watch?v=3Mz5YPkThOU

NU MALE'S CIRCUMCISION

>Tree of Savior didn't cost any money. If you bought early access after playing the beta you're an idiot and even then a lot of brazliain/russian type folks actually made tons of money out of it.
Not everyone played the beta.

Lots of people actually PAID for it to play.

The game was fucking terrible in every possible way but art and music.

Everyone is exploiting, bots, RMT, 2 fps absolute disastrous performance with some DX8 shit, etc.

I played ToS and did ET to 10F. IMC is a scam company. Gook mmo = never again.

Desert planet in the trailer's not in the game.
And the stampeding rhino.
And the brontosaur.
And the giant snake.
And the orbital battle.
And the different types of space ships.

Reminder that Sean refused to talk with Doritos Pope because he was being "too negative"

Doritos Pope, of all people.

youtube.com/watch?v=6O3NyNHpMx0

The worst feel is that the game sold amazing and sent a really direct message to the scum producing games

>The only real gameplay it has is mining shit in order to upgrade your stuff so that you're more efficient mining shit.
I've taken to describing it as a shitty cookie clicker rip-off+Dear Esther.

>tfw 1 friend recommends this game

How do I find this piece of shit to remove him from my list?

open the store page, the topmost steam reviews are usually from your friendlist.

According to steam i put 160 hours into the beta. Probably 40 of them i grinded in demon dick prison because who needs content, right? I actually wrote a hotkey script that would run around and kill stuff i was so bored. Made it to 170 before i found that exploit that let me level to 200 in a minute to check out fencer stuff (spoiler: It looked cute but it sucked)

This was days after the korean version went live. They actually intended to launch the international version a few weeks after an exploit was found that took days to actually fix. It was most likely in the game from beta start and i'm 100% sure the first level 200s abused the shit out of it. This game was beyond messy and i couldnt fucking believe how many people were willing to pay 50 fucking bucks to get a hat and early access when everything in the game screamed "DON'T RELEASE FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER YEAR"

As soon as the beta ended i uninstalled it and never looked back because i knew the game was not ready by a long shot. But in its defense the developer didnt run around promising heaven on PS4 and you could actually get unbiased info on the internet if you didnt play the game yourself because the public had access to it.

Pretty much this, but the biggest thing for me was that they said the game wouldn't have recipes, a la minecraft, and you would have to expirament with materials and chemicals to find things to craft.
Instead, everything has a recipe that you just take off the fucking wall in any building, and half of those recipes aren't meaningful in any way. (The Yellow Alloys specifically) the game doesn't have many elements, and half of those are useless. The purple elements have about 1 use each, and the yellow alloys have NO USES EXCEPT TO BUILD OTHER USELESS ALLOYS.

Then the core problem of the game, is that the only meaningful thing you can do is upgrade your stuff. So after you get max slots on everything and arrange your upgrades the way you want, units and materials are now useless, and by proxy so is exploring.

>Dear Esther
But that had a narrative. Kinda.

Yeah I definitely had a cookie clicker vibe from it but honestly at least cookie clicker is pretty well polished.

NMS is so filled with obvious bugs or weird choices that it just feels like the devs never even tried to play their games.

Why are the space stations always empty when you arrive, only to slowly fill up afterwards? Why not spawn them with people in them?

What's the deal with the mining ray heat gauge that empties immediately after you let go of the trigger? Is this by design? How does it make sense?

Why couldn't they even be bothered to change the gravity from planet to planet? It must be like a single line of code to change.

Why is there this horrible letterboxing thing every time you have an achivement or meet an alien? Who could play thing game for more than an hour and think that's a good idea?

And I could go on and on and on. This game is a rushed pre-alpha piece of shit.

Well borderlands had like unique gear with skill trees that interacted interestingly with said gear, no uniqueness or interesting things in NMS.

Not every creature was retarded like that. Most were fine. Huge ones? No, but that's a pretty small point in the scope of things and definitely not what made the game bad. You could ignore everything Sean ever said and judge the game on its own merits and you'd still think it was a pile of shit. Not because it doesn't have brontosaurs and giant snakes but because you've seen and done everything there is to see and do within the first hour. Even if there was giant animals and desert sneks it wouldn't be a good game. The trailers show pretty scenery. I'd argue the game still accomplishes that. The promise of an entertaining game is your own interpretation if we follow the trailers alone. Much of Sean's personal promises are what laid the foundation for the belief it wouldnt just be a blank canvas with nothing to do.

You could just do quests to ~220 with missions and dungeon runs after the release.
Then party grind only truffle -> evac -> storage -> maven.

The game is obviously not in release state still.
It has gigantic problems and the game screams of being rushed and released 1 year early because of greedy publisher or Kim himself.

I doubt it will help even if they fix EVERYTHING and ban all fucking abusers and make it solid 60+ fps.
People escaped the game like rats from sinking boat, myself included.
-20/30% every month.

A shame because I was playing RO back then in ~2003 on private server and ironically enough our admins cared about the game and players way more than shitty company IMC cares about iTOS.
And I still have better memories about RO and WoE and people playing it than this pile of shit ToS.

>Most were fine
no they weren't. most looked like mixtures of parts of animals from earth. and the mix didn't make sense, neither physically speaking nor evolutionary speaking. in the trailer, the creatures seen make more sense. fuck this shit tier game

tbqh i preffer to play a buggy gook mmo than a wow clone.

Why not to play WoW then?

It's still the best MMO around. Casual or not, I'm sure you could find a challenge with legendary bosses or whatever it's called, I stopped to play it in vanilla.

At least devs are competent and care about their community unlike dumb gooks who never gave a fuck about international versions of their MMO games.

FUN TIMES IN CLEVELAND TODAY!

That's not even an issue for me, I love retarded looking stuff. However when it's 95% of another creature you just saw it gets annoying.

He still made millions of dollars while you jerk off in your mother's basement

Did I say anything bad about Shawn? The only people I hate are the fucking plebs that enable this. Shawn is just an uberhuman who used the subhumane nature of the pleb.

*hanged

>my mother's basement
I'll have you know I moved out recently and I now jerk off in my apartment with the lights off.

>lights off
Be a man and watch yourself in the mirror

Did this bomb harder than Spore or not?

no thanks, i still want to enjoy that activity in the future

>in the trailer, the creatures seen make more sense. fuck this shit tier game
Nigga some creatures in the trailers didn't make sense either, and what you posted is a special case. Anyway, most animals you discovered were quadrupeds, fishs, or for some reason crabs.

Personnally I liked that they didn't tie themselves to evolutionary logic because that would've made repetition even more obvious. At least in the game we got you could actually be surprised.

Still waiting for some good creature mod tho.

things that the leading dev said would be in the game and then they weren't like multiplayer
"can you meet other people in-game?"
"yes"

>overwhelmingly negative
holy fuck is it really that bad?

>Joe Danger

To be fair that's actually a good game.

How was it supposed to be fun, did the billion borderlands weapons not come to mind at all.

I don't know how you want to measure that but from a promised features/final game comparison standpoint I'd say so. Spore was disappointing but it's still a much better game than NMS.

NMS was marketed as "the last game you'll ever have to buy" and turned out to be a shallow experience that bores you as soon as the tutorial finishes, not to mention the incredible amount of bugs and technical issues both on PC and console. They marketed a Ferrari and shipped Ladas straight from the junkyard.

It is bad, but it's also mostly the fact that features that were either shown or explicitly said would be in the game just aren't. The promotion for the game is so misleading that the game is currently under legal review for its advertising conduct. The fact that the game itself is also very boring for what it is is just the icing on the negative review cake.

They probably expected some of the features Sean Murray confirms in interviews.

It is extremely disappointing, especially considering how they marketed it combined with the laughably high price for what it's offering.

The general consensus is that at $20 it'd be fine.

>the last game you'll ever have to buy
Now it's just the last game you'll ever pre-order.

you talking shit about my trusty eat-block car? those things are robust compare to NMS' build they shipped

That's actually why I decided to add "straight from the junkyard", they didn't even bother testing if the thing worked.

I actually pirated the gog version with the preorder ship, it's one of the most laughably useless preorder "bonus" I've ever seen in a game. You can find dozens of ships on your starting planet if you care about it and the preorder one is nothing special.