Let's have a Super Mario 64 thread

Let's have a Super Mario 64 thread
What do you think about the DS remake?
Will Nintendo ever make another platformer this great?
And will Pannenkoek be able to play through the game with 0 A-presses?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ksQ37bfyQMg&list=PLmvvhlevqC2d6vis077yFHuLJHYtTtqe_&index=110
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

he managed to trim off some more a-presses already
I think they just need to find one more glitch to get through BITFS and he can finally have his 0-A run

The DS version is alright but the lack of analog movement made it vastly inferior to the nintendo 64 version. The minigames were cash as fuck though, spent over half of my time in that game just playing those.

And for pannenkoek, i doubt it. I think it can be reduced a bit more but i don't see stars like watch for rolling rocks going 0x.

I highly recommend trying the Super Mario 64 multiplayer mod
It's a lot of fun with a friend.

right now, unless I'm mistaken, his clearing(just getting the stars to beat the game) is down to 1 in bowser in the fire sea, just to get off that pole.

his 120 star run is down to like 10

his 120 star run is higher than that. It is currently at 29 (assuming the one less x moving bars and 0x 100 coins + red coins on jolly roger bay wroks out). Even so, it very impressive

>Best Level
Jolly Roger Bay

>Worst Level
Tick-Tock Cock

what's your opinion

Best level is Bowser in the sky, worst is Dire Dire docks

>worst is Dire Dire docks
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>What do you think about the DS remake?
I think it had potential to be a really interesting and great remake with a lot of welcome additions and new mechanics with all the different characters, but ultimately...
>playing a 3D platformer with a D-pad
It was doomed from the start.

What will he do when/if he is able to figure out how to complete a 120 star run with 0 A-presses? I'm sure he'll still make videos, but my interest might wane with no clear goal in sight, or a less binary goal like "finish the game with no A-presses in the least amount of time possible" that can never really end.
I wonder if doing Watch for Rolling Rocks with 0 A-presses will be as crazy as doing it with 0.5x, too. Has he figured that out yet? He must've if the only remaining A-press is the one required to climb the pole.

>DS analog movement blah blah blah
You know you have analog control with the touch screen right? It's nothing like Mario 64 movement but once you get used to it, it works fine.

>It's nothing like Mario 64 movement
then it's not fine you dip

DS port never fussed me, in fact when I can on 3DS, I intend on replaying it.

>3DS
what a perfect way to solve zero of its problems

>start replaying the game
>suddenly realize how small the stages actually are

you can use the stick with the 3ds

Yeah, I played it again for the first time since I was like 6, and it surprised me how easy the game was.

I also had every level and star memorized too, which was kinda weird.

>still acts as a d-pad
>8 directional movement
>no speed control
GREAT

BUT FIRST

I downloaded the Star Road romhack. It's pretty fun, the stages feel a lot more open.

The worst is Tiny Huge Island

I'm trying to beat the levels that are humanly possible to beat with 0 or 1/2 A presses. I want to beat bobomb battlefield with 0 without using the warps but getting the goomba to go over by the stairs is annoying.

He's set himself other challenges in the past, like beat levels without using the joystick or pressing any buttons at all.

DS remake kills the pacing and overall fun for me.

As a kid, I loved Wet Dry World because of the skybox and the town sublevel. Being in, and then finding, a sunken city was so ducking cool.

i played it for the first time a month ago. what a fucking game. my only complaint (besides the shitty camera) is that enemies are horseshit, they pose no threat whatsoever, they're just there so the levels don't feel empty. if the game had no enemies it would be just as fun. also, the bowser battles are lame, but the levels leading up to them are great.

favorite levels: hazy maze cave, lethal lava land, rainbow ride, shifting sand land and tiny huge island (because of the concept).

Was anyone else scared of the loch news monster in Hazy Maze Cave when they were kids? Replaying it, I realize that the monster is actually super cute.

>rainbow ride
I didn't want to remember.

BUT FIRST

The Eel was still too fresh in my mind.

Same exact experience I had, user. The skybox and finding the town was eerie as fuck as a kid. I think I literally got chills when I first started exploring the sunken town.

I'm afraid I'll never approach a game with such a sense of wonderment again.

>star is named "swimming beast in the cavern"
Only other swimming beast encountered at that point is the fucking eel
You bet your ass I was scared.

What was your favourite character in the ds version?

Mine was Luigi

Also does anyone remember all those theories on how to unlock waluigi (and Luigi for the original version)

Shit, I think I got chills too. I mean just try to remember the thought process:
>woah, I'm underwater, it's like Atlantis
>there's this huge shaft going down, wander where it leads to
>oh my god, a city! Who lived here? Why did they leave? How did it end up underwater?

I wanna smack the shit out of you.

The circle pad on the 3DS just acts as a D pad for DS games.

>tfw I spend countless hours following crude instructions to unlock Waluigi
wtf

It has nice music but there's too much fucking swimming. It's shit.

How does that work?

The only time I remember really having issues was hurling gay bowser

Surprised you didn't say Jolly Roger then, or wet-dry.

My favourite is cool cool mountain

I think the extra stuff in the DS version outweighs the bad (but not as bad as people try to pretend) controls.

The worst part about the DS controls is not the 8-direction movement. The worst part is that you have to either use the touch screen or hold a button to run.

I don't think the DS game is bad. But I don't think it's as good as the original. I'd say it's worth a playthrough if you've beaten the first game before, but if not I'll always recommend the original over the remake to someone.

it also looks like shit, and most of the extra content is fucking awful

>hats and yoshi adding literally nothing but tedium
>wario is slow and unfun to play as

SM64 DS is a pile of shit, the only reason to play it is muh portability

>platformer
Lmao it's an action adventure game like Zelda

>What do you think about the DS remake?
It's not good. Having four characters makes the game more tiresome than it needs to be. The controls are also fucking god awful.
>Will Nintendo ever make another platformer this great?
I doubt it. Galaxy was pretty great though.
>And will Pannenkoek be able to play through the game with 0 A-presses?
Nope. That one pole in Bowser and the Fire Sea will forever fuck him over.

> that train of thought
> those questions

I think we may be the same person. Never stop getting that immersed, senpai.

i dont think he will ever be able to get 0 a presses. he has a good dozen or some shit left, half of them on one level. he gave a thousand dollar reward for an undiscovered exploit but nothing came out of even that. some levels still use half a presses too which he counts as full. there is no way he would be able to get le 12 hours star without half a press. he might hope to shave off another couple stars but i don't think he will be able to ever get them all

>touch screen
Nah

The touch screen does work as an analog stick. However, in practice, it becomes very awkward to use since you don't have any feedback of where you are on the touchscreen.

Too bad SM64 wasn't remade for the 3DS instead.

>be me
>replay the game after all these years
>realize how boring it is after doing the first floor
>stop playing it and pop in Sunshine
>realize how shit the game is
>pop in sonic riders
>friends come over
>holy shit.jpg im having fun

this was really low effort

like come on man you didnt even try

@353584501
autism

Is there any character that can defeat Pannenkoek with 12h of speed build up AND a-presses?

Probably not.

For Any%, there's only one left, but it'll probably never be defeated. For 120-star, definitely not - TTC is ridiculous.

>@353584501
here's a (you)

thanks! :)

>fun
stopped reading there.

TTC?

tick tock clock

Ticky Tocky Clocky

Of course, how would you even get up there without an A-press, same with Rainbow Ride

>same with Rainbow Ride
You'd be surprised!
Rainbow Ride uses 0 A presses. Here's the playlist, Rainbow Ride starts with this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=ksQ37bfyQMg&list=PLmvvhlevqC2d6vis077yFHuLJHYtTtqe_&index=110
You can see that the next stars in Rainbow Ride, immediately after this video in the playlist, are also all 0x A presses.
The Somewhere Over The Rainbow star is especially interesting, in my opinion.

it takes a press to actually get into the stage though, i believe.

Yeah you're right, I misread his post.

What?

I would have thought there would have been loads inside as well though

>tfw no Mario 65
how do you just RUN OUT of imagination?
take some fucking time to remake the game very similarly and then you'll get the Fedora's Mask audience

>going to get the red coin behind the piano

It's a mod of the original ROM, plug in a second controller and you play as Luigi, with separate HP. Only problem is enemies don't react to Luigi (though they can hurt him), but the game is virtually the exact same, same stars and everything.

Those minigames were the best, holy fuck

I do not like the DS remake at all. Nothing about it is good. The only thing I like about it is that it led to Goomba King getting a mission in MKDS.

I know a lot of people disliked it, but it was really cool having several playable characters, and levels, added to the remake. And I had a blast with those mini games.

This was all on a launch title too. I don't think we'll ever see a love letter like this from Neo-Nintendo; the most we've gotten are paid ROMs and the controversial first party titles they littered throughout 2016 to pad until NX

I didn't say jolly roger because dire dire is worse. It has less land movement than jolly roger. In jolly roger you have the starting area, the ship and its surrounding platforms and the cave. In dire dire docks you have the dock and the sub. The platforms that are floating above the sub are boring as shit because all you do is hang from a pole.

Wet dry world is also far from bad and is one of my favorite stages to play, that said i only play it at the lowest water level

>Pannenkoek
I really don't know why the fuck he does what he does, he could be doing so much useful things in the hours he spent on this bullshit.
It's not like it could be classified as a fun game activity of some kind too, in fact he's basically just studying something in detail.

There was a sign that said something like "Don't become it's lunch." so I definitely approached it with caution.

>ds remake
terrible controls, great everything else

>will nintendo ever make another platformer this great
honestly i liked sms, smg, smg2, sm3dl, and sm3dw as much or more than sm64. i think one thing nintendo's gotten right more often than not is mario.

>And will Pannenkoek be able to play through the game with 0 A-presses?
if they can discover new tech to deal with bitfs, yes

>tfw i had a dream where pannen and i killed the mistery goomba
fug

Bob-omb Battlefield is the greatest video game level of all time.

>Will Nintendo ever make another platformer this great?

Not as fun to speedrun though.

really? I think it's tedious and mostly useless
though I hate it Jolly Roger Bay I think is better