mega.nz/#!BY4RDKga!M5G3TKkrvm5xZJ0AGphYwbm2xDLPNrog-Sb-ASIjbPA
mega.nz/#!gNhyDJwa!V7QMMhhL14llllNpnYLJ8nyDuLC48-eX5GBf18u1sBo
change.org/p/nintendo-let-s-get-paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-remastered
mega.nz/#!9YgRDYoQ!qk0DXBitVrcoRQDValdHILRAVDsoJVYhc7T2FCKMbVg
mega.nz/#!MQwGwKrS!69rJZkIHgsg2YgkiAeP3tDSMosH9VXVj_LiQS95VZsk
mega.nz/#F!3c9lGLKI!1dnbLa_zOC-4n0rBiXNr7Q
mega.nz/#F!6ogwzSpS!fC45MzS1ufkdeUFnm2kVmQ
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8Rvb-TrWzzcUzdUUXM2THpaWDg
wiiuiso.com/nintendo-wii-u-games-and-homebrew/389758-mega-drive-paper-mario-color-splash-cnfe01-version-cos-xml-fix-incl.html
youtube.com/watch?v=V4LOJAhcfHo
mariowiki.com/Johnson
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

there's a hole in the wall we know where it goes

lol a Snifit taking a piss!

would it be fun if a new mario rpg utilized power-ups such as the suits as equipment or abilities to change mario's moveset strategically, like badges?

Yes, too bad that'll never happen.

>Tfw you get depressed whenever you see paper mario screenshots

I know that feel.

why

there will never be a good new paper mario game

That would be so cool that I already know Nintendo will never make it.

It's just cards you already own. Nothing special

he's clearly selling some meme behind the counter

I didn't think these webms would be posted so much.

SHY GUY NO

So how's rest of the game?

It's probably the best set of lines in the game

Dammit, why do you faggots never put anything easily searchable in the OP?
>no "paper"
>no "mario"
>no "color"
How the hell are we supposed to know this is a secret paper mario thread?

6/10
Good areas & events, hit or miss dialogue, better than Sticker Star but still blandly designs NPCs, shitty combat.

The gameplay is shit. It's Sticker Star 2.

DELET THUIS

Just browse the catalogue dude.

You mean like Sticker Star did?

Improved Sticker Star.

Which isn't exactly a good thing.

That's an obvious jab at the fans if I ever saw one. Thanks treehouse.

Seriously important question

Is this game COMFY?

well shit, did we get a full bingo?

RIP

Is this dialogue even in the japanese version? Why can' t these fuckers just translate?

Cross out what you think is right.

Literally the only thing you can't cross off is Bowser being mute.

What what Paper Mario is this?

Paper Mario: Color Splash for Wii U.

You could argue that references to fan backlash could be crossed like says and little to no story depending on how you see the individual segments
Too early to say if it will sell

Mario and luigi already does this with some items

Not gonna lie, I totally forgot Mario & Luigi was a thing just now even though I've beaten all of them.

Does Color Splash have a level system?

There is the paint capacity which you increase by defeating enemies
Except that after you get 200 capacity (which you can do early in the game) you have no need to increase it anymore. You can increase to 300 or 400 but it will hardly make any difference, so you will still avoid battles as they will waste your cards and paint

this is some gearbox tier writing

What did he mean by this?

What past games did they referenced?

we did it /v./!

>fw the concept art shows dooplis

Sticker Star

post it

Color Splash really doesn't have any story, or is it on par with Paper Mario? And is Huey at least better than Kersti?
No PM64 or TTYD? What about that SMB3 stage in the trailer? Is that supposed a reference to SPM?

It could be a reference to SPM since it's similar but no direct references were made except for sticker star with the paintings in Dark Bloo Inn

I think he is refering to the rock paper wizard's concepts

>I'm in Bowser's army for life

Why would Bowser give a shit if you left to do your own thing? In Super Mario RPG there were tons of Goombas and Koopas that didn't work for Bowser.

no, in a way that has actually depth.
Like maybe equipping a hammer suit would let mario throw hammers,or fire flower for shooting fire and it would add or reduce resistances different to the default overalls. Perhaps something used in combat that lasts till the end or a few turns, or perhaps as armor equipped like a badge would be.

In new super paper mario bros, all koopas and goombas are evil user
The only exception seem to be the snifts at snifit or whiffit but they are usually hidden

>In new super paper mario bros, all koopas and goombas are evil

They're not evil. They're just trapped in a cycle of violence.

when else were shyguys implied to specifically work for bowser?

Thinking back they seemed to do their own things to do a degree. Helping bowser by impeding mario but certainly not as run of the mill underlings as goombas and koopas

Shy Guys and their variations don't give a fuck, they just do what their King demands.

>Color Splash really doesn't have any story, or is it on par with Paper Mario?
It's about on-par with the original I'd say, a little less interesting since it's rehashed beyond Bowser being possessed.

>And is Huey at least better than Kersti?
Definitely, he's actually somewhat enjoyable at times.

>No PM64 or TTYD? What about that SMB3 stage in the trailer? Is that supposed a reference to SPM?
Here are the references.
>PM64
When getting a Big Paint Star the notes sound a shitload like the opening theme to PM64:
youtu.be/VFhNgcNTKF0?t=790 (13:10)
>TTYD
None?
>SPM
SMB.3 stage
>Sticker Star
Pic related shows a few areas from Sticker Star in the portraits.

That's it to my knowledge & I'd say that user crossing out "Minimal/No References to Past Games" is reasonable since that's a small list.

>C'mon, senpai!

this desu baka senpai

eh, might as well post progress.

Did you anons ever feel like the item carry limit in the old PM games was too low? I remember it was 10 in 64, and I think it was like 10 or 15 in TTYD.
Should it be higher?

Cease and desist, user.

maybe 20 max, but 10 or 15 should probably be fine assuming any key items have a separate place.

Sprite user here. Need any sprites for me to rip? I can shade them in, if you'd like that.

In PM64 it was 10, TTYD starts this way but the 50th floor in the Pit of 100 Trials gives you an "Strange Sack" to hold up to 20 items. Also yes, I always felt it was a bit on the small side but I'm not sure if it should actually be risen myself if you add the upgraded item pouch.

It's not hard to stay Anonymous, user.

did you already plan out what all the partners would be, etc?

I remember you posted about one or two in another thread

Not him but do you think you can rip the sprite of a red Rescue Squad Toad saluting (the one seen in )?

I hated that fucking shit. Just played it last night, first time got to the third question and lost because I didn't have a lemon. Second time made it all the way to the final question and lost because I didn't pay attention to the fish that had the card. Third time I paid for the bonus and lost on the first question. Took me for a goddamn tries.

The only thing I hate more in this game is that rock paper scissors bullshit

I don't think so.
I mean, the fact that they're now single piece sprites instead of piece wise.

There weren't any new enemies/characters in it besides Huey and the Koopalings, right?
Like, I know Sticker Star introduced whomps, and I used it to get myself a base for those, but I don't think there was any other introduced races in CS, right?

I think I'll be fine sticking to the already ripped sprites up to Sticker Star for now.
Thanks for the offer though.

Not fully, but I got ideas and some starting concepts for most of them. Basically all of them besides Gloombob will need some reworking though.
Just trying to get basic code things like the menu done at the moment, putting story stuff off till I have a groundwork to build up from.

In my game you start with a carry limit of 15, then you can increase it with some key items later
Storage can hold 35 items initially, then it increases later
I might change those numbers since my game is very item based as there are no healing skills

>passive aggressive: the game

>There weren't any new enemies/characters in it besides Huey and the Koopalings, right?
Dino Rhinos were added.

>do you think you can rip the sprite of a red Rescue Squad Toad saluting (the one seen in )?
Sure thing. While I rip the sprite, I'll leave these downloads here:
>Raw Mario Files (Includes a couple PNG files as a bonus): mega.nz/#!JZZiDTjR!Hed53cOKDEMsBj8Bs6c-liJo4m7hai33vZZY7sOrLkU
>Peach Files: mega.nz/#!VIo0BRgB!55B94iPHOM6onXFStDbFpndTBqtlX8Awuqx-xrz8r6o
>Red Shy Guy Files: mega.nz/#!BY4RDKga!M5G3TKkrvm5xZJ0AGphYwbm2xDLPNrog-Sb-ASIjbPA
>Battle Mario: mega.nz/#!gNhyDJwa!V7QMMhhL14llllNpnYLJ8nyDuLC48-eX5GBf18u1sBo

>I think I'll be fine sticking to the already ripped sprites up to Sticker Star for now.
Alright then. Hope to see more progress on your game soon.

Oh, I hadn't thought of storage at all yet honestly.
That may be something I'll need to look into later on.
Was there storage in TTYD? I can't remember if that system was there or where it was set up.

I guess I'll start with just 10 and think of maybe putting in something like that to double the value later on. Seems like the simplest solution.

By the way, should I try to work towards controller support? I've been thinking of it since I've been making so many keycode statements and how it may be better to make them buttons instead, but I'm not sure if it's worthwhile to add that functionality in at this point.
I kinda feel like I should, but then again it's not like you can make it work with a gamecube controller so it wouldn't be the same either way.

The shy guys fighting Mario may have orders similar to:
>Go there
>Impede Mario/get more paint
The ones you're able to talk to are probably on a break.

The storage in TTYD and 64 could hold 32 items max, you store by talking to the shopkeepers

>Was there storage in TTYD?
PM64, TTYD & I believe SPM had a storage system of 32?

Well, they were in PM64 technically, but the sprites kinda old and pixelly.

I could possibly use the dino rhino sprites if you could rip those.

I totally forgot about those, it's a shame they were used so little. I hope rom hacks in the near future add them as normal enemies since they already have battle data.

>I could possibly use the dino rhino sprites if you could rip those.
I'm on it. Might take long, though. I gotta find the .bfres for them first, and then manually convert the graphics to png.

If I remember right, the gamecube controller is compatible with a computer but that there's a problem with it, like using the thing that makes it able to be used with other games prevents from using the driver that lets Dolphin detect it as a gamecube controller.
It may be a bit much to ask for the average player.

Shy Guy had a hard life.

You start without a healing skill in paper mario too. Starting with 15 slots is way more than enough. It should be fine.

War is hell

Quick update: Found Dino Rhino's sprites. Ripping right now.

It's a good thing you reposted this webm in every thread.
There's a world where shy guy survived Mario's stroll trough the forest thanks to you.

I'm glad the sprites aren't too big in resolution since I was worried about my game's sprites being too low res to look good. It seems all I need is anti aliasing I can't into vectors

Once the game is out, should I buy it (new or used) or rent it?

5 item limit, but you can stack copies of them since they are paper.

And you can use a paperclip to combine two items into one, using them both in quick succession in a single turn.

Does he have any unique dialogue if he defeats Mario?

Please fuck off

>forced feels

Fuck off

Pirate or rent it to try it out at first & then buy it used if you want to play the whole game. Seriously, don't buy this new dude.

If someone has save data for around that area I'd check but I don't know what I'd find it.

That's a good question. Does the shared save option of loadiine makes the game save on the Wii U or is it a misnomer?
I'd feel bad not paying for a game I intend to 100%

>what
*where

Since I'm working on the menus right now, I was wondering something about the Party page.

Do you guys think you really need to see all the members at once? Like in the games and this fan mockup, they have them cycle in a circle and whatnot.
Figuring out how to do that's gonna be a bit tricky for me with them as Unity GUI elements.

An alternative I was thinking of was something similar to Mario here , with the partner being in basically a window with their own unique backdrop (i.e. Gloombob would have a city behind him).
Cycling through partners would then move the partner and backdrop sideways, to the next partner and so on.
Do you think that'd be reasonable or should you always be able to see all of them you have at once?

If you really want the game buy it used. We don't want sticker star 3 for NX

Still better humor than borderlands

its story is on par with sticker star. great evil has stolen the 7 macguffins. no real over arching story or chapter progression like PM, just sectioned off quarters, each level might have a very, very loose narrative but no theres not overarching coheesive plot like PM64 or TYD

>I'm glad the sprites aren't too big in resolution
From datamining, I discovered that they only use large sprites when prominent characters are introduced, like when Peach and Mario are introduced at the beginning.

Maybe you can run away.
I ran away from the guy you steal the washing machine from, and he just went back to sitting and reading, and had new dialog if talked to.
Don't worry, neither do I. I'll try to find it used.
Where the fuck is the petition for the TTYD remake though?

>I can't into vectors
Really?
I can't into hand drawing honestly. Never been able to draw a straight line. But I can work with vectors and 3D stuff pretty well for some reason. I guess having vertices just works better for me.

>Where the fuck is the petition for the TTYD remake though?
It's been around for a bit actually:
change.org/p/nintendo-let-s-get-paper-mario-the-thousand-year-door-remastered

I doubt it's going to do anything.

>Come into thread
>Fan Paper Mario user AND Paper Bugs user ITT
Wewlad, all my wew.
>do you really need to see all the members at once?
Not at all, they can cycle left/right or up/down just fine, or make it a Folder and you pull their paper pictures out as you cycle through.
Whatever works honestly, as long as it doesn't needlessly extend development time and work.

I liked that the pirate and train plot and how they last for more than one stage, but those are exceptions

Why is it okay to attack fans now. Its always the fans fault now if they dislike something about the game. Also was this line written by a woman? I dont think guys are that petty and passive agressive

It's not.
It's aiming for 5 thousand and still doesn't have them even though it's been around for a while? I guess they got their answer.

I draw each sprite with the pencil tool in photoshop, using onion skin method for animations
Then again each was drawn in less than 5 minutes as placeholders and I want to redraw them later in higher quality, so I will look into how to vectors or hire someone that can do it

It probably doesn't have many signatures since no one has really known it's a thing. I've seen a few Anons asking where a petition is in these threads so it's not out of the question that very little know about it, just shill it elsewhere & maybe it'll go up. I'm still extremely doubtful though, even if it got a lot of signatures.

Only way nintendo would notice is if there was over a million signatures, and even then they might not

What kind of party members you got planned so far? It looks pretty good.
I like the rotating thing you have, but I don't think it's necessary to see all of the party members. Even if the actual PM games did it, I think it'd be fine if you just stuck with your own style.

Thought that was bad? It gets worse during the bonus round

He did get to the bonus round.

Weird because when I lost the bonus round and retried by purchasing the pack, the questions were the same as when I failed

TTYD was like 10 but you could get the expander in the pit of 100 trials to double it.

>Fan Paper Mario user
If it means anything, the working title I'm going with for now Is Paper Mario: The Cosmic Keys. I know there's a few different PM games going on at this point.
Pic related is just my first attempt at doing a title graphic. Didn't turn out right, looks too "photoshop" to me.
But the name is what I'm going with.

Oh, that one's not mine, it's an old PM fan game project. I'm just using it as reference since you can't fucking find pictures of the Party menu pages from TTYD on google easily apparently.
My current partner list is They're not finalized aside from the first one really, and they won't be worked on more till I get more of the code stuff done.

Sorry for taking so long. Was looking for the saluting red Toad for the user who asked me to rip it.

>Dino Rhino Sprites: mega.nz/#!9YgRDYoQ!qk0DXBitVrcoRQDValdHILRAVDsoJVYhc7T2FCKMbVg

>you can't fucking find pictures of the Party menu pages from TTYD on google easily apparently.
I can open up Dolphin & take screenshots if you want dude.

Thank you for the Toadally rad Toad, user.

If you use Worldspace canvases you should have no issue creating the effect.

You can literally create a single gameobject that represents the center of the carousel and then place each character sprite at some radius and space them by 360/# of Characters degrees about the y-axis.

When you go to swap to the next character, make the carousel rotate by that number of degrees.

>Looks too Photoshop
I agree. Consider making the subtitle's placcard similar to a Mario 64 Save tile.

Here you go.

I really like the rough pencil outlines and flat colors. I'd probably be in the minority of that though, I just enjoy simpler artstyles for games. It's really comfy looking.

what the fuck you guys said the writing was bland

It's hit or miss, that's probably the best dialogue in the game.

This is one of the very, very few moments the game has good writing. Read the rest of the thread and check the other screenshots to see examples of the overral writing

Decided to rip all of the red squad Toad sprites.

mega.nz/#!MQwGwKrS!69rJZkIHgsg2YgkiAeP3tDSMosH9VXVj_LiQS95VZsk

Have fun with them!

THanks for that.
It is pretty different form the initial mockup I've made.

I'll probably keep it to just the scrolling for now and see how things look further down the line since these are really to just make sure the menus are working right.

There are good characters in the game, and Mario has a pretty interesting character in this game.
It's a bit subtle because he doesn't talk, but if you pay attention, you see he's extremely confident and doesn't seem to care much about anyone other than peach and himself.

I was surprized that Mario didn't shrug when the shyguy died

>being a contrarian faggot

Fuck off

ages ago

It's like even the people making the game are tired

Honnestly there's no way in hell I could feel bad about it if he did, that would have been way funnier than the times he did it on the "dead" Toad or unconscious/not breathing Huey, with the buildup and all.

They already made that joke in Mario Sunshine, probably in other games too.

>tfw have the game pirated
>tfw some files are corrupted
>The drive was deleted

Does anyone know if there's another source yet?

mega.nz/#F!3c9lGLKI!1dnbLa_zOC-4n0rBiXNr7Q

Really? Been a while since I've played SMS, but can you give me a quote?

Kinda want to play this now it looks pretty enjoyable

Same here, I ain't gonna look for the exact quote but when she gets kidnapped by Junior you basically get the announcement system on the bottom of the screen say something funny about the princess being kidnapped once more.
Not sure if an NPC in the plaza says something funny as well, wouldn't be surprised.

It's enjoyable outside of the battles

I really don't get Nintendo's current obsession with rewarding you for skipping battles. Just remove them from the game then.

Thanks a lot, user! Much appreciated.

Mario RPG was the 1st one to make that joke. And in those times there were only 4 core Mario games, unless 64 had come out already, I dunno.

Because then how would you fight the bosses that you just instagib with Things anyways?

>I really don't get Nintendo's current obsession with rewarding you for skipping battles.
Wait a second.
Wait just a second.
The battle system is not enjoyable. The enemies are extremely sympathetic, a lot of them are talking about mundane things in battle.
There are a ton of situations they put you in where you really don't want to fight your opponent, like the first soggy guys.

Is this Undertale 2?

Link is down. Can someone reupload it?

I haven't played CS but if it's anything like Sticker Star then you DO get rewarded for doing battles, but the reward doesn't really matter in the long run since it's just coins.

Works fine for me but here:
mega.nz/#F!6ogwzSpS!fC45MzS1ufkdeUFnm2kVmQ
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8Rvb-TrWzzcUzdUUXM2THpaWDg
Password is supposedly: n12puss34w
Also according to the post it works on European Wii Us now.
wiiuiso.com/nintendo-wii-u-games-and-homebrew/389758-mega-drive-paper-mario-color-splash-cnfe01-version-cos-xml-fix-incl.html

The "reward" in Color Splash is Hammer Scraps & coins. The Hammer Scraps upgrade your max pain but like said the incentive to fight isn't that big. Also when it comes to coins you get loaded with them from things even outside of of battles, I had 9999 before the second boss & barely used them the whole game.

this is so fucking annoying to read

paper mario was never about being a 4th wall breaking meme machine, fuck these stupid shits

Here's how to get it working on European consoles (read the description):
youtube.com/watch?v=V4LOJAhcfHo

they broke the fourth wall in TTYD and SPM, what are you on about

After Sunset Express, I was taken from the battle, neither truly alive, nor truly dead, an undying shadow, in a world of lights. Now, in front of you, I can finally die.

Retard who has actually never played TTYD and Super paper mario

Gotta make the game accessible to those kids user!

>acknowledging one's shortcomings in a funny way is now considered "lashing out at fans"
When did people's skins get so thin? Can they not do anything but apologize and suck your dick all day?
>inb4 I get accused of being a Treehouse employee for not getting mad at a literal joke

Does the rip work on Cemu yet?

Thank you, user.

I honestly don't think it was related to fans I was just giving the user the bingo sheet. I do think it's a bit bad how they acknowledge something that could be fixed though (then again, it probably is just localization).

Basically a ok game with good rpesentation sadly weighted down by a shitty gameplay system.

If they could have come up with something better it'd actually be a decent game.

Meanwhile Super Paper Mario.

>Super Paper Mario

>TTYD

>acknowledge something that could be fixed.
We don't know when the line was written in relation to the game's development cycle. It's silly to assume that they wrote the line before the designs (or lack thereof) were finalized, or that they could've done anything at that point.

noa is the worst

I doubt the line was written before the designs also but with how Sticker Star basically had the same issue (but worse) with Toads & unique designs this joke should've never been able to put to use in the first place since I'd figure they would've (and should've fixed this character design issue in the following game (which they didn't for the most part).

TTYD has its moments, too, dude.

Nintendo clearly doesn't care.

This is actually the third Toad centric game counting Paper Jam.

Wow. Almost makes me wanna play the game.

I wish this moment was in one of the good Paper Marios. Could you imagine if we saw this in TTYD? We would still be talking about it to this fucking day.

You forgot TTYD also did this. Don't know what you're on about

>those partners
Like, the first two are alright, I don't know why the rest exist, they look fucking awful.

did you not read the second part of his post?

>Calling Question Mark Lava Bubble awful
Shit tastes.

I rather like the female Whomp Prisoner.
But yeah, keep working.

No, I didn't have time because the thread was on page 10.

Kamek needs way less pink.
Shy Guy needs to be canned and redone from scratch.
Whomp is eh, would need to see more of the game to have a better idea, though having a prisoner and detective seems a bit odd.

Is this game worth buying?

Judging from what everyone said, it's best you either rent it or buy it used

No.

No. Pirate it or buy used if you want to play it

I don't feel it is but try what said.

And if that's the case, is SPM and SS worth buying (new or used) or renting as well? I've only played the first two and I want to try those two games out someday.

I say SPM is worth a try (though I doubt you'll find it new nowa days), SS I say avoid at all costs, no fun is to be had in that game.

Avoid SS, SPM is ok. More of a platformer. Repeat, AVOID SS

Detective?
No, Gloombob's a mobster. Hub town is a New York style city and Gloombob is one of the Goomfather's mafia that'll join Mario after a failed mugging.

Again, they're all fairly rough, and most of them are based on early concepts I've had for chapters. They all need more work when I get to a point when it'll matter.

>Chump (the chomp) is an abused dog Mario's gonna rescue somehow from his abusive master.
>Able to be thrown in arcs to hit stuff or get items (like the koopas) but also could latch onto things to be pulled off.

>The Magikoopa (why does everyone call it Kamek? Kamek is only the one magikoopa that was bowser's right hand) is meant to be literally a NEET's waifu he made as a personal assistant (for a level planned inside a computer/digital world).
>She'd be the yoshi, letting Mario go fast and maybe boost over small gaps.

>Whompelle (the whomp) is a gentle giant type character that's in a prison Mario ends up working at while looking for that chapter's key, not sure what she'd have been locked up for at this point, but probably something minor.
>She's the Bow/Vivian, hiding Mario by slamming him and herself flat into the ground, also able to stun enemies if she pops back up while they're on top of her

>Recon Guy needs the rework the most, and he actually shows up from the Prologue as he's going to be the villain's right hand that ends up joining Mario near the end.
>He'd basically be a Lens of Truth from LoZ.

The other two I don't have any solid ideas for character-wise, but their abilities/role is clear:
>Blooper that can lift mario or make him hover for a while in place, essentially gives mario a higher jump and can also keep him from floor hazards for a bit. Kinda a bit too similar to the Magikoopa, only vertical, may need to change one of them.
>Lava Bubble is the race I was thinking for the "explosive" character, instead of another bomb-omb. It could also double as an explosive force and a force for setting fire to things.

Talking about his succ ability

I love the writing, but it pisses me off even more knowing they heard and understand the backlash and still make the game like this.

OSHIT BUGDEV
How's the game going? Last time I checked was about 2 months ago.

It's going ok, thinks have been slow lately because I am too lazy to make new models or sprites, so I have been mostly fixing bugs and adding new features that don't require many assets, like status conditions.
I started working on a side project for a halloween jam to also test shaders and other things and try to get my pace back since I have been stopped doing nothing for too long

That's pretty amazing man. Keep it up!

im digging the theme/setting a lot. Seems like a lot of fun stuff you could do with this, hope you'll keep it going

really digging the bee's animation

I'm really digging this game so far, it looks like it has a lot of charm & good gameplay. I've only ever really seen this area & the painting area so far though, have any other locations in mind or implemented at the moment?

I know you've shown me your text stuff before, and I know how much further along you are than I am.

Have you gotten to the point of figuring out cutscene management?

I still need to finish my menus and get animation controllers working, but the cutscene manager stuff for having characters move around/emote/talk/etc. as needed seems like a whole other layer of hell to figure out.

If you haven't gotten to that yet, do you have any ideas how to do it?

Thanks, we have pretty much all of the plot, characters and stuff laid out already. We are mostly in the asset making stage, which is really hard with only me doing everything. We are considering getting a 3D modeller/sprite artist to help us out soon.
Yes I have. I made a new class called "EventControl" which pretty much controls all cutscenes and stuff. Fly Chef's stuff, this bridge on the webm and the talk near the bridge shown in my blog all use it. With it, I use a coroutine to control all characters, call dialogue, engage battle, control animations, add particles, and everything depending of the eventID called. Jaune's dialogue (which you can see on the blog because the webm is too big to post here) was not done by the event control though, my text function has over 50 commands I can add that can either toggle variables, edit text, move entities, line breaks, add items, etc

I knew the writing in this game reminded me of Borderlands.

Here is a sneak peak of a txt I made to keep track of all text commands I can add, which do different things. An example of how a text looks like with commands (fly chef's first line):

|hide|y020|so06|camy0350|algr|hide|anim-01,000,0|face005,-01|face-01,005|face-02,005|face-03,005|anim005,020,0|blnk|y020|so06Well well!|anim005,021,0{ |anim005,020,0Are you ready for the chow of your|linelife??|anim005,021,0

It's a bit scary and it took a while to write all the commands, but they make the game work better. Try out making your own commands in the text to do stuff so you can make characters move and stuff

>I dont think guys are that petty and passive agressive

You underestimate nu-males, user.

Alright. That does seem like it'd be the most understandable way to keep everything in check.

The only thing I could see being a major issue is the idea of cutscenes that cut to actually different scenes, like how PM would cut to events happening in different zones sometimes.
Though I suppose that'd just be some kind of flag management, then loading the scene and telling the cutscene to activate immediately.

TTYD only did it like once though, didn't it?

I don't even remember that much about SPM.

TTYD did it twice in "major" ways but it did it other times in optional dialogues

>Generic World Themes
b-but Fort Cobalt and the entire purple and orange worlds

Why does TTYD even need a remake? The graphics still look good and the gameplay and everything else is fine. Making another TTYD-style game instead seems like a much better idea.

It was like when Frankly told us (the gamers) to pa attention to his story while Crump told us to not spoil his plan to go after Mario.

I'd rather have a 64 remake than TTYD but people are more vocal about it probably because it isn't on VC

*pay

Localization teams don't do shit other than "translate" and remove content.

I personally couldn't care for it, like you said it still looks good I only would want it to support the older gameplay making a return but I have no hopes of being able to influence that.

PM64 would be hard to remaster/remake since the art style was perfect for the N64's graphical abilities. The sprites, water colored backgrounds & etc. would be hard to recreate nicely.

w-what happened next?

Crump talks directly to the audience/player in TTYD you fucking idiot.

It's more like what happened before. One of the "Chosen Toads" froze the wave in place. Going in that upper area triggers Huey to say something about the frozen wave afterwards.

completely clueless here, but do you guys make this shit in GameMaker? and do all of this (art, coding) just yourselves?

Guys, what is this

>Finally pirate the game

>Dialogue is okay here and there, but every single speech bubble has some shitty joke in it. Try hard as fuck

>Can't even press a button to get through the dialogue faster

>Huey telling me 1 million times to push up on the dpad for him to say nothing. I can SORT of understand this one, tutorial-wise

>The fighting is actually horrid. No one was over-exaggerating. It takes an hour to complete one attack

>I have to look down at this fucking gamepad to set up the attack

>Button mode doesnt help as much. You can't just press a and pick something. It's literally A, up, hold A, up, up or some shit for ONE attack.

>the hammer move is bullshit just like sticker star.

>People are going to buy this for full price because funny maymays and dancing pig

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I only just finished the first level and I'm assume the charm factor goes up. On the other hand, I'm already kind of bored. I can't see myself filling in all those color splotches.

You forgot the part that shyguys can steal your cards while your picking them, and you can't do anything about it

>Maybe I'm being too harsh
No, senpai. I felt the same thing, I'm really bored with it, I can't even bring myself to finish it after the Plum Park area

>TTYD
They brought the "Johnson" joke back that first appeared in that game.

mariowiki.com/Johnson

They took all the character out of the Toads and handed it to the Shy Guys.

I 100% the game & while the areas do get more interesting all of these issues stayed with me the whole way through (besides the tutorial stuff with Huey).

I never noticed that was even a running joke in any of the games, interesting.

Dunno about Paper Bugs, he's been at it for longer than I have.

I just decided back in late March during one of these PM threads to try to see what it'd take to make the PM engine in Unity.
Now it's just become a passion project that I do myself as to not have any public links that can be traced back to me and C&D'd.

You know, looking back at Mario in NSMB where he deliberately kills Bowser...

Sometimes I wonder. Just what goes on in that fat plumber's head? It's implied that one of his many jobs was as a soldier, but it's still a bit of a disconnect whenever that fat jolly plumber ends somebody's game.

>No public links so it can be traced back
Good on ya. When it's ready in the far future, be sure to distribute it via Laptop in an Internet cafe then.

I've been working on this since november of last year with my friend because we want to make a new paper mario-like game without having to suffer with C&D. Also it's unity, not gamemaker
I have experience by trying to make many (failed) games like fighting games, platformers, RPGs and stuff so hopefully this one will be one I will finish

Heard about your game bugbrah. Best of luck, though it'll be hard to capture PM's charm without the setting and characters. You'll probably do better than Paper Cirnodid.

As for a tip, make sure to make all outlines have similar thickness in the finished product. It makes everything appear cleaner.

how was the paper mario crossover one?

It wasn't supposed to be like this

Does this have a working title yet?

It is only "Paper Bugs" as shown here but we might have a final title without the word paper in it

The excessive question marks and exclamation points piss me off.

this looks adorable so far, I'm excited thinking about all potential this setting has for wackiness

>Everyone says the writing is good
>download the game
>Every npc has the exact same "how do you do, fellow kids?" personality, from toads to Huey to Shyguys
>There are also tons of fucking meme references

I WAS PROMISED GOOD WRITING. WHERE IS IT?

The only good writing was already posted in the thread

You've heard from the wrong Anons then dude. I personally keep saying the dialogue is hit or miss, it has some good moments like & then it has cancer like memes or tries too hard to be funny.

well fuck. fuck man, fuck.

There's a lot of creativity here.
I really like the loading transition.

Jesus Christ

I only get depressed when I see the concept art.

>Miyamoto probably comes in every day to check they haven;t slipped some non-Toad in

>I only just finished the first level and I'm assume the charm factor goes up.

I've got two of the big stars, and it hasn't gotten any better for me.

Shyguys are almost certainly less than Goombas under Bowser's eyes. Think about it; Goombas are still nominally under their own leadership with Goomboss, as are the Boos under King Boo and even the Parana Plants (of which most are little more intelligent than animals) under Petey. The Shy Guys? The closest thing they have to a leader is General and Sergeant Guy, which implies that they're literally born into Bowser's Army.

They're the lowest of the low in his eyes, and there ain't nothing they can do about it except attempt to defect when the opportunity arises; why do you think you often see them at the helm of Smithy, Fawful, and any other villain that tries to upsurp Bowser? They only work for him because most of the time, it's their ONLY option, and they're glad to shift banners when the opportunity presents itself; some Shy Guys even work under the Mushroom Kingdom.

Those with no banner to fall under resort to being thieves, enemies of both the Mushroom Kingdom, Bowser's Kingdom, anyone they look at funny, to the point that some of them are simply called "Bandits", as an identifier for their entire race.

>We will never experience the story of a Shy Guy defecting from his miserable life in Bowser's army literally scrubbing floors about the castle
>Going on an adventure across a wide range of lands becoming something more and meeting many people who he continuously rejects getting close to because he just doesn't care anymore after all these years
>Beats several major figures in the land, takes his "prize" and moves on, uncaring
>Game ends with him confronting Bowser and either succeeding or failing, both are endings,
>The former shows him triumphant atop the Koopa King before collapsing atop him, fading out with a double funeral
>The latter shows him broken at the feet of his former master, sentenced to death, cutting to black as the guillotine comes down
I'm sad now.

I dunno about all that, shyguys were originally part of the subcon army when introduced in Super Mario Bros 2, and then started to appear more in Yoshi's Island and such then on.

My take is that some races live more directly under Bowser like goombas and koopas, but others are more native to other areas and are recruited less so.

You got a lot of stuff done already, have you thought much about the scope of the story you're going to tell?

I always loved the thought of micro worlds and the kind of shit you could do with them, but the charm won't carry it without good writing.

Currently there is enough planned for 6 chapters and 2 extra areas
It won't be too long but we don't want to be too short, and we are being really careful with how the NPCs will be so they have charm since a lot of the game is riding into them

>You'll never recruit him as a partner

>The Fallen Shy, a Spectral Shy Guy in the obligatory spooky Chapter who says nothing, but will follow you into battle as long as you want
>There are loose tidbits about his history in the world, but you learn nothing from him or anyone else

I need to work on redesigning Recon Guy once I get my basic code structure down cause he's going to be important to the story as a whole.

I know I wanted his initial role to be the bodyguard/family of the main villain phanto gal, but I never really thought of what he could have done BEFORE that.

That story might actually be a pretty good one for him honestly. Really make him kinda Metal Gear Guy overall.

No promises that I'd keep to it, but it is a good idea.

I didn't even intend it that way, just me spewing words that come to mind, feel free to use whichever parts if any. :^)

Even if you decide to give up on making a finished game, make sure you publish the code for your engine. There's a way better chance that you'll see a quality fan-made game if you let everyone try their hands at it.

Well, it actually could be helpful and fun for something I was thinking of further down the line.

You know how partners level up via the shine sprites in TTYD?
Well, the thing I had was thinking of was possibly having their first 2 levels work that way, just normal level ups.
Then, after some point in the story, any partner that is at that highest level will have the chance to be talked to at some location and start up a unique side quest for themselves. Then, upon completion, it'd give them a last level with more health as usual, a slight name change on the party screen, and a super strong, high cost skill.
>Gloombob going through some trial to become the new Goomfather, becoming "Don Gloombob"
>Chump going through some quest to either find a new home, becoming "Champ"

If I went with a backstory like that for his life prior to meeting the main villain and working with her, then his side quest could be about getting back at Bowser.
I hadn't thought of a way to really include Bowser in the game overall, so that could be a fun way to sneak him in.

It's fun stuff to think about, even if it is stupidly far off from where I am currently.

What did he mean by this?

That... sounds pretty fucking sweet actually.
Well, have a lovely day then, I'll see you next thread.
>Fallen Shy becomes Shy Redeemed

the animation is really good
but I think the bee attacking animation would look better speeded up or with some added effect (like poison particles or something)

I actually really like the varying line weight.

holy fuck

You can get it back by beating whichever enemy stole it.

Have a badge that expands your item carry limit

This