What does Cred Forums thinks of SOMA?

What does Cred Forums thinks of SOMA?

I appreciate the mix between sci fi and horror, any other game like this asides from alien isolation?

I enjoyed it, but I thought the plot was very stupid and it failed at being 2deep4u.

>Not understanding individualism.

Its basically a clone story, the guys who wrote it knew nothing about the actual thesseus ship dilemma.

The whole "continuity" thing was extremely retarded and it was pretty infuriating to listen to so many engineers and shit all accepting it with no "ifs" or "but".

THE COPIES ARE NOT THE SAME AS YOU.

Sure, you might say that since they can feel, think and experience shit for themselves, they MIGHT be human, or at least, individuals.

But thats the thing: INDIVIDUALS, they are NOT the same as the guy who they were copied from.
Because individualism is only about yourself, not about the existence of an exact copy.

Fun and immersive walking simulator that, despite not being particularly scary, was very interesting and had great atmosphere.
10/10, it's okay

OP, for future reference, we can see that there's only one ID and you're replying to yourself

I dont think SOMA qualifies as a walking sim since you can actually die and theres puzzles in it.

Im pretty sure he was just bumping/ellaborating since it doesnt actually look like a conversation.

Btw how can you see post IDs? I thought only mods could do that

Honestly really enjoyed the setting and the characters, even if the philosophy was kinda whatev. Something about an underwater apocalypse base was really freakin' awesome to explore, plus we were able to roam around a bit which I wanted to do since Bioshock. Each module seemed different in its own way and the abyss part was freakin' awesome. Having different monsters that worked in different ways (look away from this guy, piss off this gal, don't make noise with this guy) helped it stay fresh too--got kinda annoyed in Outlast when it was basically the same stalkers over and over.

That being said, I've been a huge Frictional Games fan since Penumbra 1, so I might be looking through rose-tinted glasses.

day9 didn't finish the game so I didn't get to finish it

A lot of people lost faith on Frictional since AMFP

At the bottom of the page, it says how many posters are in a thread

That wasn't made by Frictional. It was made by Chinese Room.

I know, but it was still licensed by Frictional and Frictional's name was still on the box.

Also how was the ARK supposed to work?

Like, they scanned maybe less than 100 people, surely youcant keep an actual cool society running with 100 people. And how would they have "kids"? Would they be able to age? is there even a way to control the ark from the inside?

If I recall correctly, they're gonna populate it with A.I. but they get special privileges

Yet another game from humble monthly that I'll never get around to playing.

would they know who the AI were and who werent?

Would the AI know they're AI?

Could they even get to love their kids if they were just AI?

The ark simply sounds like robot hell to me, at least in the matrix, barely anybody knew they were inside a simulation

It actually wasn't too bad. The main character was super whiny, but the game design was pretty good.

play it
seriously, i hate walking sim, but this game was good

I don't really see what's so hellish about it. We live in a world that we understand nothing of and we accept that and move on with your lives and make the most out of them. How would that be any different if you were an A.I. and knew as much?

Because this is a real world, we know that there's basically no boundaries, we can explore space (when we get the tech) if we want or dive at the bottom of the sea, we can discover a bunch of shit we knew nothing of. We can reproduce and we can die.

In the ark, everything would be limited, you would know that you're not real anymore, youre just a simulation, there would be no secrets, life would literally just be sit in place with the same 100 people for thousands of years until the systems fail and you all "die", but again, only after thousands of years.

Please tell me how that sounds pleasurable to you.

I thought everything was great except the kinda forced monsters and some boring moments. Devs are great too, they have a blog where they write about game design sometimes, and it's really in-depth

If anything I felt monsters were underused. How como you thought they were forced? Would you have prefered anothrr machine for pigs?

OP you are retarded

I have mixed feelings. MC's acting and writing was really bad at times. His reaction in the ending was pretty idiotic.

I did however really like how the game had these optional choices which really make the player think. Hell some of the time it wasn't even apparent like when you meet that girl near the tram power supply and can choose to power the halfway and let her live (and potentially suffer forever) or kill her and fully power the tram. Of course it all amounts to nothing but it really made me think at the time. At first I wanted to save everybody, but by 1/3rd of the way through I realized they were just suffering in a world with no hope devoid of human life. Letting them die was a favor.

Not op. Look at posting time.

>Of course it all amounts to nothing
That makes it quite possibly even better. The game's a masterpiece by video game writing standards, and even by general standards. I don't think there's ever been another media offering such an immersive experience of the nature of subjective existence

Absolutely loved it, the graphics were good and the art direction spot-on,atmosphere was perfect and voice acting was surprisingly good for an indie title
Based frictional games delivered again, too bad we'll have to wait forever for another game from them

>That makes it quite possibly even better
That's what I was saying.
That said it's not a masterpiece of game writing it's a mixed bag. Those choices were the highlight of the writing for me. Simon was easily the worst part of the writing and when it was bad it was bad. Aside from his absurd reactions at times his tone was way too casual a lot of the time. It didn't fit and he often sounded like a dumb blond.

incredibly disappointing.
I could have forgiven it if they actually made the environments fun to explore and things to find that were tucked away a little bit and weren't necessary for progression, but there wasn't even that, and I should have guessed because I can't really think of any frictional game that did that aside from one or two things like pic related.
frictional just seems to get lazier with every game they develop. didn't play machine for pigs though and yes, I know they didn't technically develop that

>Simon was easily the worst part of the writing and when it was bad it was bad.
Yes simon was incredibly dumb at times and also unrealistically calm at others, but that hardly weighs the whole down too much IMO. Still personally regard it as a masterpiece

that was the whole point of the narrative user

of course that isn't how it worked, people were desperately clinging onto a perceived silver lining that didnt exist. simon convincing himself of the coin flip garbage was just a coping mechanism

I think they weren't very well designed and were just there because it was a horror game so they had to have something

I really, REALLY wish they just went full on walking simulator because the monsters are more of a mild inconvenience than a threat.

It was great. But could have being better.

>In the ark, everything would be limited, you would know that you're not real anymore, youre just a simulation, there would be no secrets, life would literally just be sit in place with the same 100 people for thousands of years until the systems fail and you all "die", but again, only after thousands of years.

these are literally all assumptions that may or may not be true, and provided how advanced tech must be to be able to actual create a simulation like the game describes, i dont think itd be far fetched to provide some element to help residents sustain their disbelief at it being a simulation

its better than rotting out and eventually being consumed by some rogue AI at the bottom of the ocean for all eternity, at least you can kill yourself in the simulation

>Its basically a clone story, the guys who wrote it knew nothing about the actual thesseus ship dilemma.
You're thinking of the wrong thing, champ.

>THE COPIES ARE NOT THE SAME AS YOU.

They accepted this in the story, it's just that the MC was retarded and convinced himself that he could move his mind to bodies. The only thing that would make it seem like you could transfer your mind to another body was that one part where you create a copy and the perspective shifts for gameplay purposes, the player and MC might think that they successfully transferred themselves to a new body because of that but really and truly they're playing a new character.

I think Simon being an idiot was intentional so that the player gets as much explained as possible

It is and they are more like moving prop pieces rather than a threat.

The only actual threat in the game is the sea worm later on.

>people are literally so stupid that they think the ending or simon's reaction was stupid or didn't make any sense
>people can't fathom the idea that someone placed within a situation like this wouldn't invent some sort of coping mechanism to keep them going and act out in rage/shock when they found that they were deluding themselves, despite being told numerous times over the reality of their situation

There may have been a hint in the game as to why Simon was so slow to grasp his situation, much less concepts like that of a copied mind.
I recall that somewhere half-way through the game there were some text bits that explained how a mind scan lacked certain aspects of a mind in a living brain, such as the ability to change and adapt over time by learning from experience. Essential a mind scan was static in its way of thinking.
Simon, being one of the earlierst and primitive scans there were, was probably even more limited this way than the new ones made of the crew.