Dear Cred Forums

Dear Cred Forums.

Should I get Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ (8gb) or MSI "Gaming X" 8gb?

Which one would be better choice in longer run? I usually skip one generation in GPUs, rarely updating this part of my PC (like from GTX 460 to GTX 660 I use right now).

In before "ask Cred Forums" - after flood of "AMD vs Nvidia" threads, I dont want to make them angry. Besides, its more video games related.

And before "get GTX 1060" - with only 6gb, same price (in my country) and basically same performance in case of custom models (+/- few FPS, depending on who devs likes more), Im more willing to go AMD this time.

Thank you for help or advice, like always.

Other urls found in this thread:

kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/6/
kitguru.net/components/ryan-martin/asus-gtx-1060-6gb-strix-oc-review/5/
guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_480_gaming_x_review,24.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CNNRGH3gMvg
wccftech.com/hitman-lead-dev-dx12-gains-time-ditching-dx11/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Which one has higher core and boost clock out of the box? Get the higher one obviously. But even more obvious is that if you'd been paying attention to bechmarks a 6gb GTX 1060 kicks the shit out of an 8gb RX 480. You can get a 6gb 1060 for around the same price as a 480 in the USA and I would assume the same is for nearly everywhere else.

90%+ of games will run better on the 1060, DX12 or not.

>But even more obvious is that if you'd been paying attention to bechmarks a 6gb GTX 1060 kicks the shit out of an 8gb RX 480.

Actually, I checked reviews and benchmarks shows basically same score. Im not talking about reference versions, where indeed 1060 was better, but about custom, improved ones (both listed custom models have much better performance than reference - the gain in case of custom, overclocked 1060 is lower and in the end, they both have pretty much same score).

I got the 1060 just because it runs almost half as cool and I'm a poorfag and my last card had heating problems. Seriously the 1060 can run at 50 degrees under load while the 480 runs at 75+ in the BEST scenario.
Honestly I think the 1070 at $350 is a better buy than both.

The cheapest on newegg for me is a $390 1070, which after taxes is like $420+

I have seen them on sale for $350 just look harder.

The reference 480 does but the aftermarket ones are just as cool as the 1060.

So? Aftermarket 1060's with single fans and smaller form factors still draw less power and run just as cool as an overpriced 480 with 2-3 fans. The 1060 no matter what out of the box has lower TDP, you can strap a radiator to a higher TDP AMD card but it doesn't change the TDP.

1060 is a better card than the 480, regardless of model or make, the only case the 480 wins is when you compare an 8gb 480 to a 3gb 1060.

Your pic shows a 4gb nitro+
I got an xfx 480.
I'd say just go for the cheaper one.

>lower TDP
>maybe like $2 a year less in electricity costs

Wow, it's fucking nothing.

There's also the option to play every game at higher resolutions and higher settings than console, there's also the fact that the 1060 is more than twice as powerful as console GPU's (HD 7850 ps4, xbone is even worse).

I'm not even talking about that, I'm talking about the heat of the card and how it struggles more than a 1060, the 480 struggles more to get less performance than a 1060.

If you can put two and two together you'd realize that I'm saying that not only is the 1060 the better choice, but it has a much better overclocking potential on top of already outperforming the 480 at stock in pretty much every game except the Hitman benchmark.

They're $550 for me, before tax.

I'm sorry bruh, maybe just get a 1060, or even an rx 470 if that's still too much. Just try to forget that the 1070 is around +70% faster than the 470.

>outperforming the 480 at stock in pretty much every game except the Hitman benchmark.

Uh, the 1060 loses to the 480 pretty consistently in DX12 and Vulkan games. I mean, you're acting like Hitman is the only game where this happens and that's just not the case. And since we're going to be seeing more and more games using these APIs from here on out, that's pretty important point of contrast.

>1060 is a better card than the 480, regardless of model or make

I dont think so, Jim.

kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-rx-480-nitro-oc-4gb-8gb-review/6/
kitguru.net/components/ryan-martin/asus-gtx-1060-6gb-strix-oc-review/5/
guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_480_gaming_x_review,24.html

See? Same performance in benchmarks. Performance in games differ, depends on who devs favors more.

>overpriced

They cost the same in my country. Exactly the same.

Ah, sorry, didnt notice.

1070 is a cost of 2200+ PLN for me (490+ EUR), thats way too much.

DX12 is a meme, Vulkan is a meme. Raw performance beats memes.

OMFG!!1 Doom in Vulkan gets like 130fps with a 480 and only 90fps with a 1060!!!

Nobody cares. 1060 is the choice of the enlightened PC gamer. Better dead than team red.

Also visually there is no differences between a game in dx11 vs dx12, and the 1060 runs dx11 a hell of a lot faster than the 480.

Still, the majority of games will run better on the 1060 over the 480, the 480 is still a good card, it's just not worth it when the 1060 is in the same price range.

You can get a Fury right now for about $20 more than the 480 that's the real dilemma right now. The fury is a lot more powerful, but its hotter and it may bottleneck in games in the future while the 480 is slower but may be more future proof since it runs cooler and has more memory.

I'd imagine the people playing Doom on their 480 care an awful lot, tbqh.

I showed you reviews and tests to back up my opinions and you instead start shittalk about Vulkan.

Also

>Better dead than team red

Your fanatism clouds your judgment.

Which is sad, I hoped that you are above that.

Yeah, I had that dilema too, in the end I decied to carry on with 480, as futureproof.

>buying an otherwise inferior card for one game

The nitro has neutral colors and is much smaller than the msi

The msi has better cooling but is gaymurr red so will need its shroud re-spraying

Dont get memed by nividiots. 480s are some of the best mid market gpus in years.

My own solution to the dilemma is that my current graphics card still works for everything I want to play, the 480 isn't going to get me to 2160p gaming and the Fury probably won't either (at least not in a future proof way) so I'm waiting on Vega.

but the 1060 and 480 are $50 different

Yeah, I imagine it wouldnt be much smart to get such card now, if you already have your own performing well. However, I have GTX660, so the boost will be noticeable.

No source, no info about what models were tested.

Out of reviews I linked, two comes from same site and same testing conditions, showing that they both peform pretty much the same.

Msrp means nothing. Look at sales and the lowest the 8gb has gone for is $220 at jet using promos. 6gb 1060s have gone as low as $205 again using jet promo and 225 on newegg when it came out.

>No source

>aib low form vs stock
dank my friend
you sure memed me good

I chose the current lowest priced 6gb 1060 and the lowest priced 8gb 480.

Yup. I dont see any actual tests results in your picture. You can manipulate data all you want.

Yet, why other sites have reviews with similar results to what I showed you? Why the picture you shows is so much out of trend?

I'm on newegg right now and I'm not seeing 6GB 1060s for any lower than $250. I mean, that's great and all that at one point in the past it was cheaper, but that's not the case at the present moment.

youtube.com/watch?v=CNNRGH3gMvg

Okay, at the present moment the 480 isn't cheaper so same thing applies. They are both equally priced and you can find them below 250 at least twice a week.

you are lucky, cheapest here is $666

Even worse amd gpus have bigger cpu overhead so if you pair it with something like a stock ivy bridge or any amd cpu you will get worse performance compared to the 1060.

yeah, I have a R9 280 which is of the same hardware generation, but its definitely aged more gracefully thanks to the continual and fairly massive improvements that AMD's open source Mesa driver have gotten over the last few years.

My old Nvidia card had constant problems with my 4k monitor, but this card has handled it perfectly other than the fact that it can't really play the majority of recent games well in 4k, Rocket League is pretty close to max fps all the time but just not quite there.

>Here we're stacking it up against the 8GB RX 480, the six gig GTX 1060 and GTX 970. Note that we're using an MSI factory OC RX 470 here. Everything else is at reference clocks.

>Everything else is at reference clocks

And I was showing you results for overlocked custom models of 1060 and RX480.

Why you keep showing me reference models performance?

Should I be an idiot and do it?

This is a pretty old chart. Just off the top of my head, you can add Total Warhammer, Mankind Divided, Forza Horizon 3, and GoW Ultimate to the list of games where the 480 outperforms the 1060.

Why are you so dumb?
The 480 gains almost no performance from overclocking, the 1060 is a bigger overclocker but really both cards don't benefit that much.
So yeah good luck pushing that 480 to 90 degrees for 1% performance boost or less.

You are just throwing money away.
The cpu goes for 290-300 constantly.
That cpu cooler is a waste of money get the m9i or the other $30 one.
Again get a cheaper motherboard or wait for a sale.
Buy faster ram.
You can get a 1tb ssd for $200 or a samsung pro for that price.
That hdd is garbage.
That gpu is garbage, either buy a 1070 or wait for 1080 ti.
You don't need a full tower case ever.
You could buy a plat certified psu for that price.

The most important thing is honestly the monitor ports. Sapphire has two HDMI and two DP, MSI has one HDMI and three DP. DP is by far the better connector, but if you already have two HDMI monitors or one and a meme VR headset there you go.

That's CDN pricing, though I'll take a look at the rest of it.

>WD Red

It's like you picked out the most expensive shit on purpose. Stay with a 3TB Black.

>DX12 is a meme, Vulkan is a meme.
You're right, until Nvidia supports it few developers will be using these modern APIs. Unfortunately, Nvidia will be supporting it starting with the launch of their Volta line in Q2 2017.
>Raw performance beats memes.
You're an idiot. The RX 480 is a more powerful video card. The 1060 is crippled by a 192 bit bus and only 6 GB of VRAM. It only stays ahead so long as Nvidia keeps optimizing drivers for it, which as we all know stops the exact moment the 1160 comes out, leading to the infamous
>NVIDIA GIMPS THEIR CARDS~!!!!!!1!
meme.

>A 40 FPS difference is irrelevant
>But the 5 FPS difference in Jewworks titles is super important.

Nvidia-tards everyone.

As much of a meme as DX11 was 5 years ago.

You know, the thing literally every modern AAA title runs on now.

>The 480 gains almost no performance from overclocking

Again, links I provided and pretty much every single review I ran into, shows otherwise.

Holy shit, it sounds like you desperately wants to convince yourself that you did good choice in buying Nvidia card.

>1080

Probably. Price increase from 1070 is not justified by performance gain. If you want powerful card, 1070 should be fine for long run without ruining your wallet.

sapphire has better cooling
SO I'VE HEARD

>So yeah good luck pushing that 480 to 90 degrees for 1% performance boost or less.

Anyone that seriously believe that is retarded and has no idea how to overclock shit. The 480 is weird and actually gets a decent boost just from overclocking the memory, which you don't see happen on most cards.

1080 is a meme card. It's basically only optimal for fags who want three 1080p 60Hz monitors. If you want 1440p 60Hz you get a 1070, if you want 1440p 144Hz or 4K 60Hz then you wait for the 1080Ti or go balls out on the new Titan.

I've been doing some testing and my rx480 vs my 1060 the frame times are random on a rx480. mind you not frame rate frame time. the inconsistent frame times seem to cause the studder. the 1060 has consistently lower frame times and renders textures in time more consistently than the rx480. that's where the "studder" comes from. a good example is rotr. the rx480 will get better frame rates but isn't rendering the textures and has popping. so framerate is only good if you get consistent frame times and proper texture loading.

Sapphire is usually the better choice for AMD cards. Although MSI is still pretty good.
I'd go with Sapphire personally since they're AMD exclusive and usually run cooler.

The saphire meme is just a thing that got repeated over and over before the cards even came out. It is not even the best 480 card. It might be number 4 or 5.

And which one is the best?

Google it.

>mwf most of the 480 cost more than 270€ in yuropoor
>mwf still no HIS RX 480 IceQ X2 Roaring Turbo
That fucking sucks. i wanted a 480 for 250€ and all the models other than the refs are fucking rare/

wtf, i wont go green again.

This will only results in forums "discussions" of a kind of "muh favorite company makes best cards".

Im curious about YOUR opinion on that matter, tho.

>sold Ayysus R9 290 for 167 €
>bought Sapphire R9 Fury for 300 €

Happy with my Fury, just couldn't hjave justified selling an x90 for an x80 card.

>DX12 is a meme, Vulkan is a meme.

Finally someone with a fucking brain. How these crazy amd fans can keep defending these utter SHITE dx12 and vulkan ports which even run like shit on amd hardware just because of >muh futureproof is beyond me. Dx11 is massively more reliable right now and if you had a brain you'd go for the card in your price range which has the best dx11 performance since its the current industry standard and dx12 is still years off being the industry standard.

Why not the GTX 1080? Are you like, poor, or something?

>not wanting to play old games at 420k res @ 1337 fps

>still years off
Less than a year but whatever you need to tell yourself.

How stupid of a build is this with Canadian pricing?

the only difference most of the time between brands like this are the coolers.

both are gonna preform around the same at base clock, but if you plan to overclock some coolers are better, thus more performance.

if you aren't overclocking just go for the cheaper one.

But both the 480 and 1060 run older games fine. They are going to struggle with future titles so doesn't it make sense for you to buy the one that will do better in 2 years time so you don't need to replace it right away?

I would replace mobo with GA-Z170-HD3P. Also, that PSU is kinda overkill, are you sure about it?

A handful of years ago this build would have been $1500

You're trolling right? Nobody can be this stupid.

Even developers like the Hitman devs have said there will be barely any benefit to DX12 until dx11 is fully dead. Dx11 is still the developers choice of api and the majority of games coming out in the next few years will be dx11 since

1. You can't just go back and start from scratch in dx12. Whole game engines have to be rebuilt from the ground up to fully support dx12 which take years to rebuild

2. Those games have been in development for some time now meaning they'll have full dx11 support and won't be dx12 only games (ie dx12 still won't be the industry standard even if these games have a dx12 mode)

Games starting development now and next year will be built utilising the dx12 api only and ditch dx11, and these games won't be out for at least 3 years minimum if we look at a general development cycle. Dx12 being the industry standard (ie games that only run in dx12) is way off. Q4 2018 earliest.

wccftech.com/hitman-lead-dev-dx12-gains-time-ditching-dx11/

With dx11 existing, as the link above explains, dx12 performance will be massively variable in games which have both dx11 and dx12 modes which again backs up my previous statement which was that you should get a dx11 card right now since its the most reliable api whereas dx12 is sometimes very good and sometimes a shit show like rottr on release, quantum break, gears ue, warhammer and finally hitman (which doesn't even start in dx12 mode unless you wait 30 minutes and also is missing textures in dx12 mode).

Yes you are right truly we will stay in dx11 forever and there are no companies pushing this down our throats. The eye cant see past 1333x768 and 24 fps anyways and vr is a meme.

Anyone in here with tips for replacing a MoBo? My current mobo is Sata2 and cant into SLI. My processor is ok and I really dont want to shill out big bux for a new one.

So you are stupid and illiterate.

At least we got that cleared up.

>canadian GPU prices
>lets JUST FUCK CANADIANS UP JUST BECAUSE
>tfw have to wait another year to replace R9 290

>looking up sapphire 480 8 gig benchmarks because i'm in mexico and am not in a position to spend 500 dollars on a 1070 with this economy
>supposedly it's better than the 1060 in dx12 games
>look at tomb raider's benchmark
>9 less frames than a 1060

what fucking gives?

tesselation
>AMD drivers

Amd didn't pay devs to optimise for gcn like most other dx12 games where amd wins. That's how dx12 works. Low level, specific optimization. Tomb raiders dx12 implementation is probably just like time spy's implementation. It's not biased towards any one company via specific optimizations.

>"The eye cant see past 1333x768 and 24 fps"
>mfw despite the shitposting there are console kiddies out there that believe this

>people that play console games care

>$0.02 has been deposited in your account

stop shilling here pajeet, go back to pooing in the street

the MSI one both cools better and clocks higher than the sapphire one

Should i upgrade my phenom II 1090t for my future rx480 ? reco me a good preowned intel for less than 100€ if yes.