Play Japanese game with english text

>Play Japanese game with english text
>characters talk
>know enough japanese to know that the subs are saying something different than what the japanese is saying

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/sTKxhGn-oaA
nichegamer.com/2015/10/02/funimation-distances-itself-from-writers-shoehorning-politics-into-english-dub-for-prison-school/
youtube.com/watch?v=9URcYCDH0KA
youtu.be/5twDKhd6j-k?t=23m18s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>be autistic

>game is localized instead of being a raw robotic translation

>this is somehow bad

That' s fucking Nintendo Treehouse your you.

this

KABUTOMUSHI

Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price

It is bad when "localization" entails changing actual dialogue even when the meaning would still be there with a direct translation. And it migth as well be a team coming up with new OC dialogue in certain sections.

RHINOCEROS BEETLE

>Guy says "I can't believe that!"
>Subtitles make a GamerGate joke.

game?

>know enough japanese to know that the subs are saying something different than what the japanese is saying
>read: I just passed my N5. Am I Japanese yet?

Jojofags are cancer. Not vidya.

SMT IV has this problem, they legitimately made the writing a lot worse in translation.

youtu.be/sTKxhGn-oaA

>thread discussing video games isn't video games because you have ADD
lol

Not a game, but the dub of Prison School did it.

I've always wanted to try playing a Japanese game that has English acting (not a dub, something like DMC or Dark Souls) with a literal translation of the Japanese subtitles to see where they differ.

I passed N2 recently, still won't be hired by local Japanese companies. Kind of lame, but I'm keeping up with practice.

Not a game, but it happened in the Prison School dub. A character was supposed to say "Who taught you to talk to your elders that way?" but the dub said "You're one of those GamerGate creepshows, aren't you?".

>"You like something I don't so you're bad!"
>>>/5th grade/

Why do you people pretend you are talking about the game? You and I know it's a petty excuse to talk about an overrated series liked by 15 year old meme lovers.

>Deadly Queen

>a funimation dub
Nothing new.

If you actually read the thread you'd see it's game discussion you faggot.

It is a problem.

One of the biggest examples ia pic related. The translation gave the ending a different context and the general interpretations I see are from the English.

Metro 2033 series was localised pretty well and managed to keep most of the general character and themes.

No, they mean "I've played enough weebshit to know 'ore wa monkey' doesn't mean 'I AM SICK OF YOU!'"

Yeah. It's sad to think that even Viz have become better than them.

>It's okay because it's done by a shitty company
Did you also defend EA's fuckups because "Hey it's EA we all knew it was gonna be shit"

That name fucking gets me every time.

Kek

Maiden Heaven

Zipper Man

>Play Azure Striker Gunvolt 2
>Text everywhere because characters talk a lot
>character meets weird cross dressing transvestite character
>jap ends up saying their a "hentai"
>subs show no allusion to the word creep or prev
>just "what's with him" or something

Hentai is a pretty common phrase, pretty sure people know what the japanese were actually saying about them.

Reverb

>Game has subtitles on.
>"Don't worry, user. Nothing can possible go wrong--"
>--

How is stating the obvious defending something?

I don't think he's defending them, I think he's just saying "Well that explains it".

>it's real
oh fuck

Reminder that none of these are official English names. They're only official when Viz uses them, since they now own the rights to everything in the series in the west.

The person responsible was let go over that stuff.

Really? That's a relief. Who was it? Will they be redubbing it?

>character says miso ramen
>translated to burger

Subtitles say "don't worry user, nothing can go wrong now that we locked the door."
The character dies while saying "wrong" and gets cut off but the subtitles totally saved the surprise

I can't remember the name but his twitter reaction was posted on Cred Forums while PS was being discussed, basically he burnt the bridge completely by saying he was happy for ruining it.

I doubt they'll redub it. The guy just acted like such an autist he was probably a liability.

Name three games that do this.

Why is anyone who let's a political movement define them as a human being such a burden upon the people around them?

What I can't stand is the subtitles themselves being different, because a dub exists. They just slap the dub subtitles on the Japanese audio and that sucks because of the de-sync that exists even if you don't know Japanese.

>character expresses sadness
>subtitles are still in the part where he is introducing the story

It's more evident when you play a game that didn't have a dub and therefore didn't have this problem.

>Kor Meteor
>SHINGUUU
Why not just call him Shing? Its not dubbed, so its not like they'll butcher it.
Who's excited for the Part 3 Jojonium? They other's are pretty cheap for being hardcovers

WE

got pics or link? I want to see this

>tfw this will probably happen with Persona 5.
>It will have a SJW cast with people like Ashley Burch.
>It was delayed six months for this.

nichegamer.com/2015/10/02/funimation-distances-itself-from-writers-shoehorning-politics-into-english-dub-for-prison-school/

Oh I know that feel so bad.
Shit is infuriating because its not just some localization thing, they straight up translate wrong for whatever reason.

>know enough japanese
Then why are you playing it in English

>character says "nanny"
>subtitles say "what?"

>character says
>YAMEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

who the fuck is Yamero?

Toothpaste, pizza, ...
Jackie Chan

>Female character is about to be raped.
>Says "YAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Why are they always so happy about this shit?

get out Cred Forums

>not targeting the posts that mention the anime in the first place

fuck off you memeing fuck

Or else what, tough guy?

Someone hasn't played a recent Fire Emblem game

i will get ya

"stop that"?

dead space 2
the sequel to dead space
the predecessor to dead space 3

I hope you guys bought the Warner Bros. dub while you had the chance. It's a collector's item now.

Flacid Pancakes

やめる Yameru = to quit
やめろ Yamero = quit (that) [imperative conjugation]

>Watch many animes
>Can understand most nip talk
>Translators get rid of honorifics and say little sister.

That was the worst show of its respective season, anyway.

Didn't air at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=9URcYCDH0KA

In japan, something that causes a lot of cringe is foreigners who learnt japanese through anime.

Nobody speaks like that irl. The wording, the inflections used; they are dramatic and a little childish.

All these fuckin weeaboos thinking they know japanese from reading anime subtitles

This dub has been around forever and to be honest is a bit iffy. They clearly re-wrote quite a bit to make it even more stereotypically English for Part 1.

What would be interesting is them dubbing Part 3, just so we can hear Jotaro. Also see how they go from extremely homosexual young Joseph to old Joseph.

It's a new dub done by Viz. The one you're thinking of was done by Warner Bros.

For some reason they hired the exact same cast, but they redubbed it.

>watching Advent Children (i know i shouldn't have watched it in the first place, but i lost a bet)
>Denzel charges at Bahamut SIN
>in the japanese dub he says "Stop it!"
>in the english dub he says "Son of a bitch!"
>in a couple of the european multi-5 subs, he says "You're finished!"
>mfw

A lot of times i wonder what's the logic behind the localization of a product.

>playing Dragon Quest Heroes
>English VA is all British with god awful voices
>Switch to japanese VA
>The subtitles are still very accurate to the awful British
youtu.be/5twDKhd6j-k?t=23m18s

This is disgusting...

I think it sounds fine. Good, even.

>Character talks about eating a duck
>They're not eating a duck

>thought this was just a joke about localizations for the longest time
>mfw its actually real

Seriously? I'm not going to hold it against you, but I think it sounds pretty shitty, it might be because I watched the Japanese version though. Just based on that video, both Dio and Johnathan sounded pretty shit. I looked up more on the Phantom Blood dub and I can't stand Johnathan, Speedwagon nor Zeppeli's voices. The english dub for Dio however was better than I had expected, given the rest of the cast's performance.

To be fair, it's not the official English name.

>Being this autistic.

It's a new dub by a new company, but they used the same cast as the first dub for some reason. I think Seitz as Dio is great, and I personally love JYB as Jonathan if only because it means he's forever locked into a mere nine episodes of the series and can't shit up longer parts with his shitty voice.

The Part 1 dub was pretty weak in the original dub, though, but this is a hell of a step up. The Part 2 dub, however, was fantastic. If they step up their game for Part 2 as much as they did Part 1, I think it's going to be awesome.

probably didn't want to call the cross dressing transvestite a creepy pervert in a western game, especially given the current politicized environment of video games.

>reach heaven
>some kid kills you because your brother really fucking hated you

>Play Japanese game
Found your problem

This is right, the only time its bad is when they replace whole sections for jokes or memes (see nintendo)
Someone saying one thing and it being roughly translated so it flows better is fine and actually for the best

And yet I remember seeing stuff from the first Animal Crossing where entire sections were just ad-libbed on account of the original japanese dialogue being really terse and uninteresting.

>character is clearly saying a character's name or English word.
>doesn't show up in the subs
Not rocket science.

>Chicken Bender

I mean, that was a running joke thing we had going before english ASB came out, and that name only refers to Valentine's GHA, while D4C just got officially named D4C, to which the jojopedia says 'nobody knows what this mysterious acronym stands for.'

D4C was one of the best handled localisations, really.

How the fuck did they get away with keeping Soft & Wet as Soft & Wet when they felt that had to change fucking Polnareff?

I can't not just constantly think of Numbah 1 when I think of the Part 2 dub.

thats just because in Japanese they don't have all the pronouns English does you fucking dumb idiot

Same here.

And I love it. I genuinely think Diskin is a better Joseph than Sugita. Sugita doesn't fit Joseph at all in my opinion.

Wait, what changed Polnareff's name to Eiffel again?
It's all becoming a fucking blur.

ASB was the first time they called him Eiffel, and I assume EOH did the same.

Apparently this is due to the localisations of ASB and EOH being done in Europe, where the musician Polnareff is named after is apparently just relevant enough to be a legal threat.

>play Japanese game with English text
>hear the person speaking say another person's name
>it doesn't show up on the sub until 3 lines later

Isn't Polalnareff a normal name? Why?

Nigga, I don't know.

ZIPPER MAN