New 3DS

A few things I want to discuss:

1. This system can play better looking versions of N64 games as well as SNES and DS games, but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for it to play some GBA games?? Huh??

2. I've never jailbroken or installed Homebrew on any of my systems. How is it on the N3DS? Pros or cons? Would I still be able to save my GBA files and continue where I saved?

3. That glossy finish is back to annoy everyone for the XL version. Any preferered or good quality shells/cases I can put over it to avoid constantly having to wipe off fingerprints?

4. Should I wait for a price drop on the XL? I don't have a 3DS at all so it would be my first, but $200 is steep for a handheld that's already been out for a year.

5. Generally what are your current thoughts on the N3DS a year after launch?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zXIWgEsSJfI?t=1m48s
gbatemp.net/threads/restoring-original-colors-to-gba-vc.427642/page-5#post-6423110
nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#filter/wii_u|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|nes&n64&gba&ds|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-
nintendo.com/wiiu/eshop/virtual-console
youtube.com/watch?v=RMsJVHpf_Ko
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>1. This system can play better looking versions of N64 games as well as SNES and DS games, but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for it to play some GBA games?? Huh??

VERSIONS of N64 games do not N64 games make. There is yet to be an absolutely flawless GBA emulator for 3DS OR N3DS. Ambassador games are running natively, with blur filter.

>2. I've never jailbroken or installed Homebrew on any of my systems. How is it on the N3DS? Pros or cons? Would I still be able to save my GBA files and continue where I saved?

YMMV depending on what you want to do with it.

>3. That glossy finish is back to annoy everyone for the XL version. Any preferered or good quality shells/cases I can put over it to avoid constantly having to wipe off fingerprints?

Don't get an XL, the density is equal to that of the original Game Boy.

>4. Should I wait for a price drop on the XL? I don't have a 3DS at all so it would be my first, but $200 is steep for a handheld that's already been out for a year.

Don't get an XL

>5. Generally what are your current thoughts on the N3DS a year after launch?

Love 3DS, followed it closely, closer the anyone else on Cred Forums at launch and the road leading up to it, but the opinion of N3DS is the same as 3DS for me: disappointing compared to DS.

>There are no flawless GBA emulators for the 3DS or N3DS.
Yeah, but I don't understand why. They say it's because of "system limitations", but obviously a 3DS can play BETTER versions of N64 games, so WHAT is stopping the 3DS from playing tech a generation behind?? I keep getting non-answers from the internet on this one..

>don't get the XL
I like the bigger screen and had very noticeable hand numbness/discomfort with the original 3DS (when I had one at launch). I've never had an XL before, does it still make your palms and forearms numb after about an hour??

1. This system can play better looking versions of N64 games as well as SNES and DS games, but it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for it to play some GBA games?? Huh??
Eh, I have no prior knowledge on the matter.
2. I've never jailbroken or installed Homebrew on any of my systems. How is it on the N3DS? Pros or cons? Would I still be able to save my GBA files and continue where I saved?
/hbg/ should know
3. That glossy finish is back to annoy everyone for the XL version. Any preferered or good quality shells/cases I can put over it to avoid constantly having to wipe off fingerprints?
Hori shells are good. Don't forget the Screen Protector.
4. Should I wait for a price drop on the XL? I don't have a 3DS at all so it would be my first, but $200 is steep for a handheld that's already been out for a year.
Eh, maybe. The XL was worth it to me since the bigger screen is really nice compared to the minuscule screen of the non-XL.
5. Generally what are your current thoughts on the N3DS a year after launch?
I love it but the XL made me realize how much I dislike the normal one. Get an XL if you can.

The XL is great, ignore the memes about the low resolution. Some people complain about tiredness when playing games requiring a stylus on 2DSs and XLs.

Nintendo is retarded.

GBA virtual console is flawless. It might have 1 or 2 problems with some few games that would never get fucking re-released. Just check GBA .cia convertions.

If you're on 11.0 or 11.1 then you can't hack it easily. In any other version you can hack for free. Also, if you hack it, then you'd probably lose your saves but who cares, you're limiting yourself to just the ambassador titles.

>so WHAT is stopping the 3DS from playing tech a generation behind??

The 3DS screen

youtu.be/zXIWgEsSJfI?t=1m48s

>better looking versions of N64 games
Playing the ports that were made for the 3DS is different from emulating them, fool

>with blur filter
It's upscaled, there are no filters. You can play in native resolution too. I'm playing hacked gba games on 3ds and it's not that bad even upscaled.

what do you mean easily?
everyone was telling me it was impossible to hack after 11

You need to hardmode or use an hacked 3DS

That's why some fags call it impossible

No, you're wrong.

With GBA ambassador games, like DS and DSi games, you have the option to run them upscaled or at native resolution. The problem is the GBA ambassador games DO have a blur filter.

gbatemp.net/threads/restoring-original-colors-to-gba-vc.427642/page-5#post-6423110

Even with hacks like this, it can't be fully fully removed.

>better looking versions of N64 games
To be fair, the games are lower resolution so better graphics techniques like better lighting isn't as costly performance wise

This didn't answer anything.

I never once said that it was, nor did I imply it. I don't know how I can be more clear about what I'm pointing out.. modern 3DS games are more technically demanding than a fucking GBA software from 3 generations back. There is no room for interpretation here, it's a straightforward fact. GBA games are older and not as techical as modern games on the 3DS, so the 3DS should be able to play them with no problem.

But Nintendo won't do it.
(?)

guides?

GBA is 32 bit. The 3DS should struggle to play GBA games.

Any answer from Nintendo about "system limiations" seems like a flat out lie to me. There is no explenation.

Should not*

>so the 3DS should be able to play them with no problem.
You're asking for the 3DS to EMULATE them, it's different from playing games that were made for the system, as I already said

When you play the Ambassador GBA games, the 3DS pretty much has to turn itself into a GBA in order to run them. You can't put the system in sleep mode, the Home button doesn't even pause the game, and people online can't even see what you're playing. It loses all of it's core functionality and selling points when emulating those games, and as such, Nintendo's not going to start selling them until they can either find a way around it or make a better handheld capable of it.

Thank you. It's the same reason why Wii U CANNOT emulate a Wii, it just doesn't have the power to do so.

nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#filter/wii_u|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|nes&n64&gba&ds|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-

nintendo.com/wiiu/eshop/virtual-console

This is why on Wii U, Wii games are NOT considered VC unlike NES, SNES, N64, DS, and GBA games. GBA Ambassador VC games should NOT have been given the VC label, it was a mistake.

The link you posted is talking about ghosting i.e. slow pixel response. I thought that you talked about a blur filter to fix the resolution. Nintendo did put ghosting in the ambassador games to simulate the gba screen but as your link said it's possible to disable it. I downloaded and almost completed a modified minish cap cia and so far no ghosting.

>Nintendo needs to find a way around it or come out with a better handheld
>New 3DS
>New

So Nintendo has made another monumentail fuck up, once again and missed an opportunity to let us play GBA games on their newest advanced handheld system. That seems very unacceptable and is pretty hostile to the consumers who have been asking for that functionality since the launch of the first 3DS 5 years ago. What an unsatisfying conclusion to a seemingly simple problem. Nintendo could have fixed this.

Of course I still don't believe anyone that says a modern handheld from 2015 can't handle GBA games "easily".

Another thing... so if the GBA software running on a 3DS is not an emulation and does not have sleep mode or online functionality, how does it do that for the SNES??

this

I own both the regular and xl, and you can't really see the difference since resoultion is shit and pixel density is shitty on both consoles. XL however is much more comfortable to hold and has glorious IPS screen(s)

porting != emulating

Besides that though, even a ported N64 game should be a beefier order for the system than an emulated GBA game. Right??

For all we know, maybe the New 3DS IS capable of running GBA games, they might just not see it as a priority right now (as they clearly don't with the Virtual Console in general)

When they announced that New 3DS would be getting SNES, people immediately complained that they were exclusive to the New model and not coming to the old ones. Maybe Nintendo just thinks it's a better idea to leave things as they currently are rather than face the exact same backlash by making the GBA VC games exclusive.

youtube.com/watch?v=RMsJVHpf_Ko

The GBA is more complex to emulate as there's much more code the GBA needed to do the same things as a SNES, though the processor is more powerful. Also it has more memory than a SNES.

The New 3DS is really Nintendo's 32X. It's a stopgap while we wait for their Sega Saturn.

GBA games run great when I installed them on my n3DS.

>2. I've never jailbroken or installed Homebrew on any of my systems. How is it on the N3DS? Pros or cons? Would I still be able to save my GBA files and continue where I saved?

make sure you have a bigger memory card than you need just to be safe, i had to do it in parts because mine filled up too fast and it drove me fucking nuts having to do the hack bit by bit then erasing and restoring the memory card, almost had a heart attack thinking it'd brick.

also make sure you have 6-8 hours, it takes a long time, but it's easy if you follow the guide.

They're facing backlash for NOT releasing GBA games on a handheld that should be powerful enough to play them. We have 3D graphics for fuck sake, what could be so hard about emulating a 2D sprite game???

Might as well use this place to ask but, do you think we'll get anymore New 3DS exclusive games?

Even if they're just ports of Wii/Wii U/even Gamecube games, I'd be fine with that

I think you've made it abundantly clear that you don't know anything about how emulation or code works

1. How old are you?

2. Why are you being so dense?

The same and SNES only runs barely on the N3DS model. Only with DS games you regain functionality with sleep mode, internet etc.

>So Nintendo has made another monumentail fuck up, once again and missed an opportunity to let us play GBA games on their newest advanced handheld system. That seems very unacceptable and is pretty hostile to the consumers who have been asking for that functionality since the launch of the first 3DS 5 years ago.

Look, I'm not very keen on defending Nintendo usually but backwards compatibillity wasn't always going to be a guarantuee. While Nintendo has since the GBA (except GC) always had their consoles be able to run games from one generation prior, they've never officially had one device play all games from multiple generations. There's numerous ways to play GBA games on the go other than owning one or the 3DS. Complaining about it will only get you so far.

I mean, there are people that actually believe that Sega Genesis has the power to run Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD...

>Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD...
Unrelated to the topic but how different was that version? I know it has Tails being playable a la Sonic 3 and let's you choose from both soundtracks, but what else was different?

People don't care about the technical aspects of emulating games. That's why they'll shell out money for a NES Mini because ROMs are scary. That's why they'll look at a handheld that can run Mario Kart 7 and can't run Super Mario Kart and go "well why the fuck not, this game is way more advanced than this super old one".

the rule of emulation is that your system needs to be approximately 8 times more powerful than the system it's trying to emulate.
N64 games on 3DS are not emulated, they're ports with updated graphics.

Similarly the PSP can't emulate PS2, but there are PS2 games that were ported to it with very little visual downgrading.

>4. Should I wait for a price drop on the XL?
Absolutely.
New or old doesn't really matter if all you want to do is play some 3DS games now, but the XL is far superior in terms of immersion.
I never would have wasted money on the original 3DS. Tried it once and it's utter garbage imo.

My PC runs games better than a PS4. How come I can't play PS4 games on it?

I recommend you actually look up how emulation actually works. Just because the system is stronger, you still require at least x10 the power of the original system to get near accuracy. Emulators have to use cheats and tricks to get games to work. Nintendo just has the upper hand of having the original source code to their consoles. But even then their own emulator isnt 100% perfect. They probably tried getting N64 VC titles to run on the N3DS but they were very likely under performing to their standards and decided to not scrap it.

Just try running SNES VC titles on a regular 3DS.

Think of the iPhone 5.

Now think of the iPhone SE.

Sonic CD is iPhone 5

Christian Whitehead's Sonic CD is the iPhone SE.

In other words, it's the same game, polished the fuck inside and out, and perfectly refined.

Get it, on anything that it's out for; plays like a dream.

>I've never had an XL before, does it still make your palms and forearms numb after about an hour??
Get a hand grip.
My hands aren't especially large or long, but I can't hold this piece of shit for more than 30 minutes without getting cramps.
Plus, these grips are all piss cheap.

You don't understand how hardware or emulation works at all do you?

Insane that as far as comfiness and ergonomics for their clamshells go, NOTHING has gotten close to DSi in comfy.

I have this exact same grip and I can't play my 3ds without it. It fix the crappy volume slider too.

>It fix the crappy volume slider too.
What?

I bet Kid Icarus Uprising feels a million times better with that

Also, it can't be understated how much I hate the fucking name of the New 3DS. I'm trying to see if there are any third party battery expansions for it, but any time I look up "New 3DS Battery Pack," it'll just show me regular 3DS battery packs in "new" condition.

are you retarded? just install a9lh and get some gba injections

Explain it then. You should be able to since you know how code and emulation works.

My finger hit the volume slider all the time while playing because of the shitty volume placement on the old 3ds xl. This grip kinda protect the slider so no more awkward volume change.

>Explain it then.
Not the other guy, but just read the fucking thread?

To be frank, by this point (and rarely would I go out of my way to possibly insult anyone directly), you've proven that you aren't worth our time. It's been stated multiple times, many resources and links have been given, and you simply refuse to want to TRY to understand...

>tripfag
Kill you're self.

Mona is literally Mr Nintendo around here, showing up with the mask only when appropriate. Kill yourself.

>Cred Forums Passe
Both end yourselves

Just hack your 3ds and put cfw on it. Play pretty much any gba game using the same emulator nintendo uses for the official gba games. also replace your c stick with a psp cap if you havent already, works great

>STILL (!) hasn't hacked
actually kill yourself
Pic relate

Hey Mona Fan, I guess you were wrong.

This looks like a GBA game playing on a 3DS to me? What about to you?

Now that we're on the same page, would "mister nintendo" like to explain how the N3DS "isn't powerful enough" to run GBA games??

To me if we have more powerful hardware, it should be able to play less demanding software and now look. I was right.

So what is Nintendo's hold up?? We can't emulate the GBA, only simulate it? Fine by me, let's simulate it then. I want to play GBA games on a 3DS and Nintend should be letting us without having to illegally hack the system.

Mona knows about injects, they linked to it in this post retard.

Injects aren't being emulated, they are being ran natively in a limited shell. All Mona said was there has yet be an EMULATOR that comes close, and even running games natively with GBA injects isn't quite flawless. Stop being a shit-eating retard.

I have an XL, and enjoy it greatly more than it's smaller counterpart. I enjoy the bigger screen to read the text better, and be able to have it a decent ways away from my face, so i can rest my arms on a table comfortably to play it. Seems like im the only one here to actually prefer it to the smaller edition (which I started out with)

>mona defense force out in full effect

you're the only one here eligible for social security benefits too

jesus christ

ok, so when you design a program, you create it to work for a specific set of hardware. a lot of the tools and features you use are unique to the hardware you're designing it for and don't exist on other kinds of hardware. this is the normal operating environment for your program, it's (usually) how it's designed to be run.

now, what you can do is on OTHER hardware that lacks those features is you can create a program that mimics the missing features of the original hardware. for instance, let's say the non-original hardware only allows me to move a sprite up/down and left/right. if there's a feature on the original hardware that takes a sprite and moves it diagonally, i can code that on the non-original hardware using two instructions: move sprite up, then move sprite left. it accomplishes the same thing, but it takes more operations to do. this is called emulation

now, imagine this, but for possibly tens to hundreds of thousands of operations per second, many of which are WAY more complex. this is why emulating something requires considerably more resources than just running the program on the original hardware. however, it can be done, it just requires a lot of work to get it to work correctly and to run at a reasonable pace (better hardware helps, too).

so what nintendo did for the n64 games you're talking about is completely remake the game from the ground up using the 3ds' features (they probably reused some stuff, like art assets, formulas for physics, etc). the advantage to this is that it runs natively instead of having to be emulated. the downside is that this requires an ENTIRE REWRITE OF THE GAME. this can take years of work and generally requires an experienced devteam, which is why it's only been done a handful of times.

meanwhile, emulating something only requires years of work on developing one good emulator, and then you can throw pretty much any existing game at it.

cont

why are you spoonfeeding him

so things like ocarina of time and majora's mask were completely remade to run on the 3ds, and that probably took years of development by huge dedicated teams for each of them. if they wanted, nintendo could probably do this for a gba game, but the game would have to be popular enough to justify the huge cost in time and business resources.

however, what the 3ds DOESN'T have the power to do is emulate n64 games at a playable framerate. you could certainly write an n64 emulator for the 3ds, but it would probably run at like 2 frames per second, which is not a playable speed.

same deal with the gba, the 3ds doesn't have the resources to run a gba emulator (well, arguably; there are some homebrew ones that run "well enough").

however, the 3ds has part of the original hardware for the gba built-in. while not all of it's there, enough of it is that they can run CERTAIN gba games natively, specifically ones which don't need the parts of the gba hardware that the 3ds is missing.

because

Emulation, despite being of older games, can be more taxing on the hardware than games made natively for it. This is the case for all devices. I don't know exactly why that is, but that's the reason.