youtube.com/watch?v=pMdJBkPEswE
youtube.com/watch?v=gc9Fy5l3sA0
youtube.com/watch?v=R_e-6t34Cwc
youtube.com/watch?v=qxAKSyMPNZk
youtube.com/watch?v=N_FBLI8gCzA
youtube.com/watch?v=TffGZpMLJpE
youtube.com/watch?v=_kFmqmIQ-DI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

SMRPG had a more expanded combat system, mini-games, and side quests than Paper Mario. It also held more secrets and such. Both are great but I'd give it SMRPG

Super Star Saga is better

how so?

SMRPG

They're both great for different reasons. SMRPG is more traditional so I can see the preference but I prefer PM64 since the combat has variety when it comes to action commands, I prefer the partner & badge system in it and it's comfy. Plus I'm not gonna lie, nostalgia is a big reason.

I like them both about the same. RPG has better music and is probably better in general, but I think paper mario has better sprites and has better high points, but also has some lower low points. I also like the badge system more since its a bit more unique.

Right now I would probably rather play paper mario, but I think most of the time I would say rpg is better

RPG had the unbearable Final Fantasy combat that all old SMRPGs had. Paper's combat can't be called a crowning achievement, but it was fresh and tolerable.

NPC's in SMRPG were fanfiction wank, and all of them looking like garbage because some idiot attempted to make a 3D game on the SNES didn't help.

look at this guy who started playing nintendo games on the 64

>It's old, therefore it's okay that everything looks like a fucking mess.

The combat system in SMRPG also included timed hits which every mario rpg since has expanded upon in some form. The npcs are hit and miss, limited due to the snes, they were still enough interesting and fun ones.

Golden era nintendo games are better then shittily designed nintendo games.

I think in all honesty
n64 was the descent for nintendo
good games into bad games.

That's just your opinion man.

Your shitty, retarded opinion.

>it was more than fine then but now it doesn't meet my inflated standards so it's no longer okay

PM has better gameplay

SMRPG was better, but it helps that it was made with help from Square back in their prime. I love both of them though.

Is this bait?

id be tempted to agree but GCN had some best exclusive games so I dunno

PM
Mario RPG is the worst of the Mario RPGs. Unless you count Sticker Star, but even if you count Super Paper Mario.

By the way, for Paper Mario emulation, is it better to Virtual Machine it on Dolphin, or use the N64 emulator?

Just curious because I've heard the N64 emulator kind of blows.

Both have its appeal, I lean more towards Paper Mario for its aesthetics though.

Timed hits is the least significant of the changes Paper made to the standard RPG combat. It added very little to SMRPG.

Paper's enemy positioning (front to back + ground/flying/ceiling) and low numbers gave combat more of a puzzle aspect than simply spamming your strongest attack until the enemy was dead.

That is the most retarded thing I've read today -- of course it was fine back then they didn't have anything better. The only thing that's relevant is how it plays today -- you wouldn't defend the graphics and computation power of an Apple 2 if it were released at full price today, would you?

But regardless, even for it's time it looks horrible. Yoshi's Island came out a year earlier and is probably the best looking SNES game if not one of the best looking games of all time because they didn't try to do something that was beyond them with the hardware.

Timed hits was still significant enough to see different iterations in every mario rpg afterward. The aspect of height and positioning was a nice addition but still at the cost of only having mario and one switchable partner who didn't level up in a traditional way.

and SMRPG certainly didn't look terrible for the time. And it still plays the same today and you wouldn't pay the same price for it today anyway so I don't get what your point is besides that Yoshi's Island has aged better because of the art direction.

>and SMRPG certainly didn't look terrible for the time.
Intellivisionfag here, SMRPG was always ugly.

I don't care what you grew up on, it looked great to me at the time and people today are enjoying plenty of games that look worse

>Timed hits was still significant enough to see different iterations in every mario rpg afterward.

And? Is Pitfall better than Super Mario Bros. because it came before it as a platformer?

Rather, if timed hits were so significant then how can you use them to argue that SMRPG is better than Paper Mario in regards to combat when Paper Mario also has them perfected them with clearer timing windows, better feedback, and better variety?

>who didn't level up in a traditional way.

You say that like it's a bad thing. SMRPG's leveling system may as well not exist. Since the stat numbers on both sides just inflate, the only purpose of a leveling system is the degree of customization it offers. Your choice of attack, magic, or defense is fairly limited (especially when the game punishes you for not picking the "correct" stat at any given level) and don't really add any new options to combat. Leveling BP in Paper Mario, and to a lesser extent FP, opened up many new options in combat.

PM64

SMRPG is barely better than SPM

PM
>better music, better characters, better aesthetics, better humor, better level design/areas

SMRPG
>slightly better but still very simplistic combat system, more optional stuff

PM64

n64faggot spotted.

It's western v eastern, I prefer SMRPG but you can't go wrong. Super Star Saga offers a nice mix of both styles while having more variety and more of a story.

M&L SS > PMTTYD > SMRPG > PM64 > M&L BIS > M&L PIT

Never played SPM or PM SS but I'd say after PM64 and after PIT

Paper Mario's the objectively better game, though I can see people liking SMRPG for reasons besides gameplay.

Super Mario RPG: Music, story, combat, can use Peach and Bowser
Paper Mario: Badges, cooking, companions, hidden items to find, graphics

They're both pretty equal since they both did such different things. What I can say is that they're both better than TTYD or the games that came after.

>Squaresoft title from the SNES JRPG golden age
>N64 title that completely diverts from the previous title in every way except for timed hits made after squaresoft ditched nintendo for sony
>the assblasted nostalgiafags begged for Geno to be in smash, not Bow or any of the other cast members whose names I forgot.

SMRPG
I'm glad PM is dead now and forever so paperfags feel what I felt when there were no SMRG2

PM64 is SMRPG2 you stupid faggot

Paper Mario 64.

SMRPG has good things, but I have a better time playing Paper Mario.

Also I'm a faggot who doesn't enjoy the isometric platforming.

Hahahahahahaha

SMRPG is the best mario RPG

The flashing lights in SMRPG always hurt my eyes. I'm surprised I never heard of any incidents with seizures from that game

The Virtual Console version edited those lights so maybe you'd prefer that one.

I tend to agree. Last console I bought was N64. I'm sure there have been good games since then, I've played on friends Wiis and the like. But I could not justify buying a Nintendo console after 64.

I am looking forward to NX, especially if it has a handheld capability (I know it does, but to what extent).

>both better than TTYD
Finally somebody that understands me

Paper Mario, a lot of SMRPG's character designs are really unfitting.

Not him. Started playing nintendo on the NES. He's right, pre rendered graphics look like dog shit.

Paper Mario RPG is literally for babies with no challenge at all with a retarded plot for kids

SMRPG is more challenging, great humor and memorable.

And SMRPG isn't hard compared to other RPG series. So your point isn't really good.

>My easy kiddie RPG is more challenging than your easy kiddie RPG

Maybe not but it's far more challenging than Paper Retardy 64

>64 better then TTYD
TTYD took everything 64 did and made it even better.
>but muh backtracking
Exaggerated complaint, the backtracking is never bothersome.

But none of them are challenging so who cares?

I'd say probably Paper Mario.

I loved SMRPG, make no mistake. It was easily my favorite SNES game back in the day, and I still like it to this day. However, Paper Mario had a much more fun atmosphere, and the more simple mechanics made learning more complex strategies both easy and rewarding. The Badge system also is very engaging, and lets you do a lot of interesting things that just aren't there in other rpgs. As much as I like SMRPG, it is really easy to fall into the pattern of "Clear out area, beat boss by using your strongest skill until it dies, reach next town, buy new gear, clear out next area, beat boss by trying your new skill, then spamming your strongest skill until it dies, rinse, repeat". Badges meant you were essentially respeccing Mario often, sometimes several times per chapter.
This might also be due to the fact that in my mind, SMRPG is more in line with Superstar Saga and co, which I generally liked less than Paper Mario and TTYD.

Nice b8 I r8 8/8 m8

>I am looking forward to NX
user the Nintendo of the master pieces isn't comig back

Both games are devoid of any challenge

>TTYD took everything 64 did and made it even better.
Except story flow, companions and locations were worse. Yes, it did improve combat, graphics and using the paper mechanic was fun. But let's not pretend it improved 'everything'.

Also got rid of a lot of the hold overs from SMRPG that Paper Mario kept.

>but muh backtracking
>Exaggerated complaint
Translation, you love the game so much that you overlook the backtracking. The fact is that the first Paper Mario had a few areas you had to backtrack (especially the Toy Box). But since TTYD had 10x more backtracking, its clearly and example of something they didn't improve.

Badges were pretty much useless

You can beat easily the game without em

IDK, I've never tried him without using the Lazy Shell, but he wasn't too bad so long as you had the Lazy Shell on Peach and having her heal all the time

This supposed to be hard? Beat it on my first try with 0 difficulty and grinding

>a boss from a Final Fantasy game means SMRPG is hard
Or you know, its pointing out that they needed a boss from Final Fantasy to make it hard. And even then, Final Fantasy is a joke compared to other RPGs.

Everyone of the partners are great in TTYD. Yeah I admit flurrie and ms. Mowz could've been better but they're all memorable and great.

>backtracking never bothersome in ttyd

Don't lie

Sure, because SMRPG has such a deep and complex plot.

Lets not forget transitioning through chapters.

In 64, you usually just jumped right into the next level after the Peach cutscene and you return to Toad Town unless you plan to do sidequests.

In TTYD, you gotta run your ass all over the place most of the time to find a wedding ring or someshit before the game decides you can move on.
Plus, the Intermissions are much longer, making it more of a chore.

Yes, it has?

Paper Retardy 64 was durr bowser is the bad guy xD

Not to mention, SMRPG had more memorable and funny moments

My biggest problem with TTYD was just endless streams of text. Especially in Glitz Pit and Excess Expres, you're sitting there reading 5 hours of text. Its like Golden Sun all over again. No point in having good combat if 80% of the game is sitting through boring text.

As opposed to duur smithy is the bad guy?

Face it kiddo, you're just blinded by nostalgia

It really isn't, I play through the game constantly and can honestly say that the chapters I hear people complain about (2, 4, and 5) never bothered me. The backtracking doesn't ruin the flow of the game to me in any way.

I'm not trying to shit on 64, fucking amazing game, but I think most people go the hivemind route and say 64 isbetter just because. My only real complaint with 64 is that the story is just peach being kidnapped. Yeah they make it a bit more charming with stuff like the peach sections but still I wish they would've done something a bit more creative.

Nope

Smithy and his gang were awesome and memorable characters

Paper Retardy had none

Well they bother the rest of us for good reason

Also don't forget about that bomb faggot in chapter 7

Not the same user, but you know the new enemy is badass when your old enemy joins you, so you could get any chance against him.

SMRPG is my favorite of the Mario RPGs.

I dig the first two Paper Marios though.

Why did you post inferior Koopa ninjas?

Still the same shit motive wise for villains

Also let's not forget geno doing literally nothing and having 0 personality

Two different games. SMRPG and the M&L games that followed are very much traditional RPGs, whereas the Paper Mario series are more like adventure games.

What? Pm64 is literally smrpg2

>RPG had the unbearable Final Fantasy combat that all old SMRPGs had.
>Paper's combat can't be called a crowning achievement, but it was fresh and tolerable.

What?

>Koopa Ninjas

PFFFFTT HAHA

Anyway. SMRPG was far better than Paper Retardy. Both are very good games though.

Mario and friends vs a interdimensional warmongering demon with a living weapons factory.
Even I could see that Paper Mario is the star piece plot, but without anything more on the villains. Smithy was interesting and awesome, and now I would have paid money for Nintendo and Square to be forced to make a proper sequel to SMRPG with a more involved look into Smithy's world.

That's why I've never played the first two Paper Marios, and probably why I liked Super Paper Mario. At least it didn't want to be a replacement of SMRPG, and the perspective mechanics and platforming were great.

Pretty sure Smithy's world is just an endless stretch of factory. Kind of a cool idea but there's nothing more interesting that could be done with it that wasn't already done in SMRPG.

Both are great.

I played SMRPG on my SNES before I played PM on my N64. I feel like SMRPG had more heart.

I mean just look at this credits sequence. They made custom sprites just for it. No reused assets whatsoever.

youtube.com/watch?v=4EAzUDRSlFA

Also Yoko Shimomura's music gives it the edge.

This. Also, all of the different area of effect magic the enemies used looked cool. Solidify, Sword Rain, and Meteor Swarm all looked awesome.

You're right

SMRPG had an Awesome OST unlike the shallow forgettable Paper Mario 64 OST

youtu.be/abDCsQrDLTE

>Also let's not forget geno doing literally nothing and having 0 personality
This. I loved SMRPG, but I never got the fascination with Geno. I've played through it multiple times, and kept everyone in the party consistently in one playthrough or another, but I honestly can't figure out why people like him so much.

He's just a pretty cool guy fighting for justice

Chill the fuck out man, you aren't actually defending the fucking game damn it's just a lighthearted discussion Jesus fuck.

>he plays with anything other than Mario Peach Bowser
Truly the Devil incarnate

Sorry dude but I tend to be very passionate about this game

The only reason was because he was a really good character so most people kept him on the team the entire game, thus that's why everyone remembers him.

I love both to death

But are great games and played both on my home consoles when they were released (32 year old currently)

I really REALLY like Paper Mario, but I have to give it to Mario RPG. The game was bigger in scope, the story was more epic, the characters and NPCs were great, the locations were fresh and new (along again with those new characters)

All the nods, secrets, cameos, mini games, and main story. Not to mention it carried like an anime with it's body language. It had a lot of heart.

And the music........ just wow

Both are fantastic games along with TTYD. SMRPG is my all time favorite game though so its my obvious pick.

>and memorable
I love SMRPG but I wouldn't say that in the slightest. Literally the only things that come to mind immediately is the Forest Maze because of how popular is was and the scene where Bowser accidentally kisses Mario

12 year olds who think a silent character is 'brooding and cool'. In other words, they created a personality for Geno in their minds.

You really don't see the appeal some fans have in "I serve a higher authority" "Heaven Cop" "Doll with built in machine guns" Geno? The Mario world is typically rather boring, which is why people's favorite characters seem to be the ones furtherest away from Mario canon.

both games had a few great songs with the rest being forgettable

SMRPG has one of the best OSTs on the SNES. Its clearly more than a few great songs. The game really relies on its music.

>SMRPG has one of the best OSTs on the SNES

no, it really didn't. it had a few stand outs like the mushroom forest and... and... hmmmmmmmmmmm...

nope, really isnt anything special. sorry dude

Well that's certainly a nice opinion you have. Very strange one, but nice.

I wish we could have the age of every poster so I get an idea where most of these people are coming from

32 here

29 here. Last time there was a age strawpoll on Cred Forums, the highest age was 21. Even more evidence of this being true, was that most of the thread was defending that age like nothing was wrong.

So most people here were not even BORN when the N64 came out.............

I see...........

This is why having these kinda of discussions on the boards are pointless

There is going to be a time when the Wii U will be considering the greatest Nintendo system because the semen that had it growing up will be the majority.

Even as a Nintendo fan, that sounds like a true nightmare to me.

Slowly i am seeing people saying the Gamecube was the best system ever and Gamecube prices are going up.

What a time to be alive.........

> There is going to be a time when the Wii U will be considering the greatest Nintendo system

There are actually people in this board that consider Wii U as the greatest Nintendo console

Not even memeing you

>mushroom forest

The first smithy fight with the awesome organ
The melancholic piano in the ending just after geno came back
When i as a kid i really liked how badass sound the midboss theme but now i like the Armed boss better
Valentine's theme that scream HUGE BITCH in every accord

Personally i like SMRPG's ost better

SMRPG without a doubt, both are good games anyway.

>but I never got the fascination with Gen

I honestly used Mario, Bowser and Mallow as my main, but Geno was and always been used as the icon character of SMRPG, and it would be great for Nintendo to aknowledge this game by giving it some tribute by including Geno in Smash, but knowing Sakurai beign Sakurai and the toxic smash fanbase this most likely this will never happen.

Super Mario RPG's OST is one of Shimomura's best

>dat SMB3 1st world map theme mixed with SMB theme
youtube.com/watch?v=1dkE3boAJRo

>Epic and fun at the same time, can feel some of what would be Kingdom Heart's style
youtube.com/watch?v=VpFXLxw2X60

>Wha-? Okay sure, mix in different styles. Brilliant.
youtube.com/watch?v=esK671c4B4M

>Kid playing with Mario figures and SMW theme comes on. So good.
youtube.com/watch?v=UxkJFg3occo

>No more arrows falling from the skies. Complete contrast of the somber Smithy Gang theme from before.
youtube.com/watch?v=eIecSeUsasM

>Oh my how exquisite....
youtube.com/watch?v=MAK-At_rcc4

>So bluesy
youtube.com/watch?v=JQYCu5EZOGI

>Marriage town? Sounds like it 100%
youtube.com/watch?v=DkUMcRtNOAM

>I wanna be a great plumber like my brother Mario.
youtube.com/watch?v=pMdJBkPEswE

>Another excellent town theme. How does she do it?
youtube.com/watch?v=gc9Fy5l3sA0

>Hohohohoho~! Boobs jiggle.
youtube.com/watch?v=R_e-6t34Cwc

>Woah. Looks like things are getting serious.
youtube.com/watch?v=qxAKSyMPNZk

>Organ is slowed smithy gang theme...oh holy shit that organ solo.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_FBLI8gCzA

>I always get teary eyed at the second part of this song. Never fails.
youtube.com/watch?v=TffGZpMLJpE

It started with faggots thinking Mario 64 is the direction Mario games should go and hate 3D World.

3D World is the most Mario-esque Mario since SMW.

It should have been a natural progression for the Mario formula... in the N64 era, now it feels like a step back in the series. That's how innovative Nintendo was in the 90's and how lazy and autist it is now.

I don't wan't a linear platformer in 2016 that looks like shit. At least ther still hope with Yooka Laylee

I'd say SMRPG is her best work.

How? It's not Mario. It's a free roaming collectathon in 15 levels. Mario had always been a linear platformer with more than 50 levels in each game. Where are the Super Mushrooms? Fire Flowers? Why don't Stars give me invincibility? I'm not saying it's a bad game, in fact it's a great game. But it's not a real 3D Mario. It's a 3D platformer with a Mario skin.

I like SMRPG more so it's better.

literally the best post n the thread

I posted that and I'd have to say I disagree.

Street Fighter II has some of the most iconic songs in video games. And not just a handful, ever song is iconic.

>Is not Mario if it's not linear!

Nintendo itself reinvented the platformer formula back then when Mario 64 came out. You atusm is showing.

I keep forgetting she did Street Fighter II. But even then, SF2 has less songs than SMRPG and I could say I like both equally.

>tfw Street Fighter music has never been as good as SF2

It's not. Sorry man. They even stated that Mario 64 was just an experiment with 3D games when they made it. That's why it was only 15 levels.

You act like I'm devaluing Mario 64. But I'm not. It's a fucking awesome game. It's just not Mario. If you played Mario 1, 2, 3, and World. You'd know what constitutes as a Mario game. Hell, Yoshi's Island is more of a Mario game (yeah I know it's SMW2). Look I get it, Mario 64 is your childhood. I played N64 games after my PS1 broke from too much Gran Turismo, so my nostalgia isn't as strong. My strongest memories of Mario are of beating SMW over the summer when I was like 7 or 8. I've loved Mario for more than 25 years of my life and nothing comes closer to a proper Mario game than 3D Land or 3D World.

Even if it was an experiment it later became the standard, not only for Mario games, but ALL 3D platformers. That's why many people hate 3D world, because Nintendo seems to be using it as a replacement of Mario 64 formula.

B-but the dialogue is funny! It makes up for it!

always one faggot side stepping from the question being asked by OP

But the only other Mario game that's like it is Sunshine. That game is my least favorite Mario.

It can't be the standard if they abandoned it for something more akin to what a 3D version of the 2D games would be. 3D Land started the new standard. If you're not a Mario fan and you're just a Mario 64 fan then I can see why you'd be upset. But anyone that's followed Mario since the NES days would feel 3D World is probably the best Mario game since before polygons.

Really loved 3D world, it felt like a great update to the side scrolling games, which I enjoy far more to the 3D Marios

And to answer the OP question, sadly haven't played Paper, but I really loved SMRPG.

Alright this is the closest thing to a decent Mario thread and mods deleted mine so I figure I'll ask here.
I plan on starting up an LP channel soon and I just want to know what's causing my footage to look like fuzzy ass. Is it my dazzle or my HDTV? I figured it'd take the feed directly from my N64 so I don't understand the blur.
youtube.com/watch?v=_kFmqmIQ-DI

Are you legit retarded? I'm 21 and I was already born when the N64 arrived.

N64 is 20 years old.

The combat in SMRPG felt incredibly boring to me. Action commands weren't as well implemented. People lose their shit over Geno, but I never really got the appeal. He's good in battle I guess, that's it. That yellow puffball thing was lame. Being able to use Bowser in battle was cool. Ultimately though, the mechanics in Paper Mario were just more fleshed out.

Story is pretty basic shit in both. Paper Mario obviously wins in terms of aesthetics. SMRPG has some fantastic music, but Paper Mario has good music as well.

TTYD, Super Star Saga, and Bowser's Inside Story stomp both of them so this debate is pretty pointless.

Though even when it wasn't pointless, I thought people that thought SMRPG was better had their nostalgia goggles cutting off the circulation to their brain.

Peach turns this fight in a cakewalk

Super Mario RPG