1060, 1070, or 1080

1060, 1070, or 1080

which card should I get to last me 3-4 years. Replacing a single 770 here.

I heard the 1080 was a meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/jVYxgL
support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 10 - 64
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZWQ4pb
pcpartpicker.com/list/fVmpKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/3ykYd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/FbDHWX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

1080 is not a meme if you plan on using that much power

Wait until the 1080ti comes out to make a decision, or at least it's real specs. Be careful, memers will try to tell you it's going to be worse than the 1080 because they are retarded

>on using that much power
What could theoretically use up that much power

1080ti. It's a way cheaper titan

all three would last you bout 3 years. the 4k meme is 1080. but be honest, do you really care bout 4k?

I'm currently in the process of building a mid-tier gaymen pc.

I'm going with a zotax 6gb 1060 simply because i can still get 60fps at 1080p and it's 150 bux cheaper than the 1070.

Buy whatever card you want and can afford, don't listen to poorfags. Also, EVGA>Anything else

1070 is the best bang for your buck. Should last 2-3 years easily.

This user is correct about EVGA.

But get the 1080. And eventually get yourself a 34" ultrawide. Shit's neat.

>3-4 years
>Nvidia
Pick one

>do you really care bout 4k?
absolutely not

I was really impressed with my 770 in 2013 but it's run its course and this gen of cards is fantastic. Maybe I should get the 1080?

I would go with the 1070. Never go top of the line.

I'm currently using a 770. Upgrading to the 1080, myself. But if you're not interested in 4k or similar, why bother? The 770 with a good processor crushes 1080p, still.

Did I goof?

>1060
Yes

If you can afford it get the 1080 or 1070, but the 1060 you posted is a bad model for the value, pic related is the best value 1060 along with 1 or 2 bigger sized ones at nearly the same price.

It feels like Nvidia cards start out great but gets worse as years progress. AMD starts bad and gets great. My 290x is still serving me quite well while the 780 it competed with at that time can't compare.

For Nvidia cards, a good rule of thumb
>x50: the poorfag choice and the absolute lowest that's worth anything
>x60: the mid-range choice for mid-budget builds
>x70: good all around if you have money for it
>x80: even faster, but generally too expensive for the difference you get. Only get it if you just want the very best, there's a good deal for it and/or something quicker came out, dropping the prices enough to make it worthwhile
>x80 Ti: see above, except even faster and more expensive
>Titan: yeah sure thing lad

No, you dun gud mein friend

how can anyone use AMD? do you all live in igloos? they're always so fucking hot, loud and power hungry, jesus christ.

never again

pcpartpicker.com/list/jVYxgL
How'd I do, Cred Forums.

If you're doing 1080p or slightly above, you'll be set for years. If you get into 3440x1440 or 4k, you'll see some frame drops depending on the game. Good build for the price.

The case fans are more or less a waste of money, one or two decent extra fans can do wonders but $60 on meme brand PWM units is overdoing it. Also where are the poptarts?

RX 480 will last you longer

>i7
Dropped.

>i5

>last me 3-4 years

Good luck with that considering nvidia gimps their older gen cards on purpose.

sorry but nvidia cards age like milk, and that's when the drivers themselves don't cripple the cards to get you to buy a new one.

AMD cards on the other hand age like wine, right now the old 7950 is giving the 1060 a run for its money on Vulkan.

I did this. Then in 2 years i can afford another mid range card, which will be better than 1070 at that time. Rinse and repeat

>Autism

Bro, my 3 year old card is still currently maxing everything at 1080p.

Have you considered a Fury if you're considering the 1060?

not buying the worst i5+z170&ocing with a 1080, my sides. the classic "i don't know anything about computers i7 build"

>AMD cards on the other hand age like wine,
lol no

AMD has always been worse and will always be worse. The 770 hes using right now still performs above your 480 on current games.

Literally the only two games that run better on the 480, besides Doom in Vulkan.

Aww it's so cute...

Is there an advantage to getting a 2+ fans ones? My case is xboxheug but I would prefer to keep it spacious if I can....

Also willl it work with a shit 480w power supply?

>buying nice things = not knowing anything about computers
Ok, ayyymd poorfag.

What's even the best AMD card right now? Top 3?

>fans don't even spin up in idle
>have never reached max fan speed in games
>fans sound like blowing with your mouth under load (Witcher 3 max settings), no vacuum cleaner, no turbofan engine

owning a 300 shekels Fury > falling for nvidiot memes

>amd shilling

>The 770 hes using right now still performs above your 480 on current games.
Are nvidiots stupid enough to believe people actually buy this?

Tfw I have a FreeSync monitor and I have a 290x - do want to kinda upgrade but I have to wait for Amd to release the 490. I hope it will be good.

1060 for 1080p
1070 for 1440p

I got 1440p 144hz and it's great. gtx 1080 would be better but it's too expensive imo

RX 480 (largest memory, power efficiency)
R9 Fury/X (fastest, HBM but smaller memory)
R9 390/X (classic 'throw more power at every problem' approach with corresponding heat)

Curious what the RX 490 is going to be like.

The 1060 draws less power than the rx 480 and other cards so it should work with a 450wPSU or similar. The 1060's with more fans offer better cooling only when they are being pushed to the limit and OC'd, otherwise both versions will be 99% the same in game performance and the smaller one will run a little hotter in demanding games, but it's built for that in mind, it can take the little extra heat.

is freesync really worth it?

How did Sapphire JUST their cooling so badly this time around?

Yeah, currently have a 390 so I'm pretty set. I have a 144hz 1440p monitor with freesync, and amd's treated me well so far, but I don't care about freesync all that much desu

just wait for vega to come out

I feel it's quite smooth yes. Sub 50 fps don't feel the same way it once did.

Are you even looking at the charts right above you?

An oc'ed fx 6300 would bottleneck a 1080 too much to even bother right?

>Ultrawide
Is this shit still a meme or do game actually have good support for 21:9 now?
I was considering getting one, but unfortunately my 1070 couldn't push 3440x1440 in newer games. The 2560x1080 ones seems like the image wouldn't be kind of shitty.

awesome, thanks. I'll be looking out for a cheap freesync monitor

1080 is essentially two 980s. so yes. anything less than a 6700k/4790k will bottleneck a 1080.

>muh bottleneck

I don't understand why people keep talking about this with GPUs, the PCI-E 3.0 standard is going to be around for a while. Just get tje card now and a CPU upgrade later, you can keep the card for your new motherboard+CPU and it's still going to be faster RIGT NOW.

Never OC'd because never felt the need too. Probably wont need to for this I presume? Still plan on 1080p60 for the next 2 years or so, 4K isn't worth it for me yet.

it would work fine.

1060 is fine

Don't just don't take my opinion for granted. Go read some reviews on FreeSync monitors if u are interested in one.

Bottlenecking only applies to amd apus, dummy.

Lol my nvidia gpu is coming up to being 3 years old and it's running 9/10 modern games on high/ultra 1080p. People using 390s from literally last year are losing performance with every game. Just look at how shit 3xx series performance has gone this year in games like warhammer, forza horizon 3 and now quantum break. Amd have ditched driver support for the 3xx in favour of releasing drivers quicker for rx 480.

>Still plan on 1080p60 for the next 2 years
While the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio do 4k? How can you be a PC gamer but accept having a system that's shitter than consoles?

It's just inefficient use of money especially the way cards drop in price.

cheers

This, sadly.

Pascal will go legacy and start to be gimped the moment Volta is released.
>tfw updated my 980Ti to latest legacy driver
>tfw got worse performance than the previous driver

get a 1070

I have a 2600k with a 1080 and there's no noticeable bottleneck. As long as you got sandy bridge and up you're good...

>them fps

regardless of card, how did they manage to fuck that game up that bad?

doesn't even look that good on ultra, it's The Crew tier graphics

Because they spent their entire budget on marketing.

a 970 is like $200.

A 1070 only nets you like 5 more fps but costs you like $200 more

No, pajeets shill amd for free

That's 1440p, which is not what either of those cards are best for, but on ultra they still (almost) have 60fps average.

Because I prioritize 60fps over everything. 1080p still looks totally fine too me. 4K monitors and GPU's are just expensive at the moment. If I can get a 4k monitor for ~200 and a 1070+ for the same, I'd be down.

But if I need to spend atleast a good $800 or so just to 4k, might as well spend half that and get the PS4 Pro....but why would I do that if I can't get my 60fps.

Sapphire isn't pajeet, it's burger. Sapphire Ed (big fat burger) spent so much time and money shilling on leddit and jewtube, and every reviewer received a review sample of the card.

That's grade A bullshit which is easily debunked with every benchmark

>tfw friend upgrades to gtx 1070
>tries to sell me his old 390
>tied between that and getting a brand new gtx 970 zotac for £186
>do research and ask on her a few months back
>"g-get the 390 is so much better than the 970 especially in dx12 games!"
>ended up getting a 980 for the same price

Wew seems like I dodged a bullet with that once. The 390 is literally dead now.

I don't know where you get these "facts" from but the 1060 is far superior to the 900Mhz RX 480 in the PS4 Pro and will do 4K 60 FPS at medium-high settings, this person wants 5 Years of 1080p ultra gameplay. while PS4 Pro upscales 1080p 30 FPS

yes you did, considering that the 390 now kills the 1060 after the last AMD driver

fucking kek

Post a benchmark

>While the PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio do 4k?
Neither will touch native 4k or target 60 fps.

How much of a meme card is the 1060?

I am considering an upgrade that would buy me another year or so until I build a new computer.

Currently using a 680 and its still "okay" but the 1060 seems like a cheap alternative.

do you need everything spoonfed to you?

google it yourself unless you're afraid of good old buyers remorse which is so typical on nFailia card owners

We don't know about Scorpio though. It's supposed to be faster than Pro and Pro already renders at resolution similar to 1440p

1060 is too weak for its price imo

1070 is the card i would go for, just wish it was around $350 like previous x70 cards

1080 not worth it, 1080 ti coming soon. normal x80 cards are never worth it, you pay a huge premium over the x70 for little gain and the 1080 will lose the most value over time

>do you need everything spoonfed to you?
Spoonfeeding only applies when you need it. I don't need shit, you're making retarded claims here, I'm just asking you to provide a proof.

He can't. You know why? These "latest driver" don't exist. The latest amd driver 16.9.2 was released on the 21st September as a crimson hotfix. Forza horizon 3 came out on the 27th September. This guy is making shit up and there has been no performance increasing driver which makes a 390 beat a 1060 in fh3 (lmao)

support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows 10 - 64

Is it worth upgrading from r9 290 to gtx 1070?

>tfw got a 1070 for $356

fells good man

should I upgrade from an r9 390 anytime soon?

>tfw bought a 970 meme card last Christmas off Newegg $330
>its doing fine so far
I've got another 3 or 4 years with this baby now that my 560 Ti is dead. I'm okay.

Considering the 290 is old and outdated as fuck, yes.

I'm pretty sure a 7970 is better than consoles, let alone a 1060.

>People whine that Nvidia gimps their old cards
>AMD starts doing the same thing
Top kek.

lol no it isn't Google it

Buy the best one that you can afford so you can wait longer till you upgrade.

I always get 80s

How about you google it. retard?

All the benchmarks I've seen don't look like small gains, man. The 1080 is sick.

>Two unoptimized Windows Store games
>borderless fullscreen only
>no sli support
>representative of anything
Heh.

The reason amd gpu were known as being more future proof was because they would sell you the same fucking product every gen. Amd cards from the 7xxx, 2xx and 3xx series were rebrands of each other. This meant that if they make a driver optimization for one card, it would affect all the related rebrands and boost performance of those cards because they were the exact same eg 290 was rebranded to 390 and 290X was 390X etc. Now that they've moved to a whole new arch with gcn 4.0 and polaris, they can no longer do that and we're seeing the first evidence of it.

delusional nvidiot fag

Is getting a 1080 for about $540 a good deal at this current time? The free gears of war 4 was a deal I wanted.

This, the 770 is a solid card, why bother upgrading if you're not going to be pushing new games.

Still running a 7970 and I get 60fps from most games on medium-high (surprisingly pushing Ultra on ME:SoM right now). The longer you wait the cheaper something good will be.

I thought the gigabyte 1060 mini was cheaper, but it looks like your card is.

1070 has the best price perf ratio if you can get a good custom model (like i did)
1080 is simply overpriced as fuck for what you're getting.

>if you're not going to be pushing new games.
but I am going to be pushing new games

I also may or may not be planning to run about 11-12 eve online clients in the near future

4k?

>Been sitting on PC funds for months because I know the second I spend them something will go horribly wrong that the money would have been better spent on

Get a 1070. Best price/performance nvidia card. You get gears 4 free with all nvidia 10 series cards anyway.

depends,
1080p -1060
1440p- 1070
4k- 1080ti

If im on a 960, should I upgrade to a 1060 or 1070?

>1080p -1060
Is the 1060 really good enough to max 1080p in most current games?

Bought this last week, 6600k in it, glad i got the 1070 over the 1080, if you're just gaming you wont notice shit in terms of difference.

The 6gb 1060 should be the last card you ever need for 1080p gaming.

But hey dont take my word for it go to logicalincrements

1070 definitely
big setup from 1060 but not as expensive as the 1080

6800k*

I keep seeing that the 1070 is a better deal than the 1080.
What would you need to be doing to make the 1080 worth it? Would it be better long term?

>should be the last card you ever need for 1080p gaming.
Fuck, I forgot about VR. Oh well, I guess when VR gets to be under $300 I'll have to upgrade my GPU.

RX 480 for $230

or you know when we actually have some VR games

basically close to mine, minus different brand psu,ram,ssd

I didn't get any case fans, can't hear shit silent af

even while playing csgo @ ~500fps or overwatch at 300 fps cap

4k probably or if you want 120+ fps for ultra/AA @ 1440p

they're ALL memes, a single 770 will do everything you need, unless you plan on recording in 144fps don't bother

4k gaming?

Looks good. What size is your HDD?
R8 mine: pcpartpicker.com/list/ZWQ4pb

Not yet.
Its still not enough for 4k@60fps with most modern games.

Wich is the reason I will wait for the next ones.

I have a 1 terabyte harddrive that I'm going to format.

Almost al games support 21:9 except thr obvious ones like 2d platfomers and fixed screen games.
If you would consider a 2560x1080 I would recommend not getting the 34 " but something smaller.
The pixel density wont be an issue then.

False.
You need a fast cpu because you're using 2 cards.
With everything coming from 1 source it isnt much of an issue

Unless you're falling for the 4k meme, just get a 1070 and enjoy the next 2 years.

It doesn't really matter because devs have an incentive to make things as unoptimized as fuck.

Why is the msi gaming x 1070 better than the evga sc 1070? Aren't they supposed to be pretty much the same card?

the MSI one comes factory overclocked at a higher clockspeed than the EVGA card or it's taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to self-overclock (most Nvidia GPUs can do that), maybe even both.

EVGA SC cards are reference, but their FTW cards are custom.

I know that feel breh

1080 is about to get outdated by the 1080ti

i think the 1070 is a great replacement for your 770 i had a 4gb 770 and i replaced it with a 390x which is around a 1070 and 980ti depending on the game these days

1060 is just slightly better than a 970. Will probably last you two to three years. 1070 and 1080 especially should hopefully be 4+ years once devs figure out implementing DirectX12 better.

Never fails to make me laugh. I have a 970 and I've never actually had this happen.

1080 is strong as shit it'll cover any of your gaming needs works pretty good for 4k just 1 alone.

If you are a regular pc fag who does 1080p just go for 1070 at tops

R380, cause nvidia are as jew as Intel

Still on a 560ti

What is the 560ti of 2016?

lol nvidia wont get any boosts from dx12
1060 6gb

>get to last me 3-4 years

A+ bait, OP.

Regardless of the degree of neglect/sabotage of Nvidia's older gens, expect the current gen to age poorly.

Near-future HBM2/3 cards will have way higher bandwidths, and the 1080 is only a ~300 mm^2 GPU that got massively overpriced thanks to AMD punting on upper-midrange this generation.

The GP102 (TXp/1080Ti) will probably hold up well for quite a while, but it will stay ludicrously priced until Vega's release.

>3-4 years
>Nvidia
AMD ages better since they're less dependent on driver optimization.

I currently have an HD 6850
I honestly feel like I could confidently buy the RX 480/ 490 and be happy with it in my new build
Am I overestimating how big a step up that is?

A 480 is nearly 5 times as fast, fampai

480 oc are a decent gpu

No faster in reality than a 3 year old 290x 8gb but its still a good card

As a proud owner of a HD 7850 I still run battlefield 1 on high so fuck yall.

Alright good to know
I figure by the time I actually save the money, the 490 will be out, so I'll go with that

>tfw I want a new graphics card to be part of the new age but don't play any graphics intensive games

Fuck, me either.

Spent 450 on a 1070 and the only intensive game I played is Witcher 3.

Which I had already beaten before on an old 570. Guess that it's helping out emulation, at least.

pcpartpicker.com/list/fVmpKZ
How's this for a mini itx build? Gonna be my first pc.

A 6600k will be better for gaming than a 6700 locked.
And you don't need 16gb of ram.

BUT cooling solutions are limited for a mini itx. Also, just buy a windows 10 key from rebbit.

My problem with upgrading is not knowing that to do with my old shit. I have the money but it feels wasteful throwing stuff I dont use away or keeping them laying around

Sell it or donate.

Or send it to me, your cousin!

>tfw 1060

Did I fuck up?

>>>/Reddit/

kill yourself

I've heard jokes saying the AMD fanbase was like a cult but god damn you really prove that right now

>Vulkan
On 4 games. 4 fucking games.

As more games with shit optimization get released you will thank yourself for getting a 1080.

everything is overpriced
the 1060 shouldn't be more than $200 -$230
the 1070 and 1080 are way too high as well. They should be down in the 970-980 range when those launched

I have a 390 currently. How much longer should I be good for before I do an upgrade? I would think at least 1-2 years.

kind of. shouldve gotten 1070 bro

got a 980 how long will that last me?

I just got this to replace my dead GTX465, thats lasted me since 2010.

I only had a ~$130 budget and I got this for right under that.

Did I do good considering my money options?

Always get 1080

whats wrong Mustard? Consoles finally making a point of PC being too expensive when everything needs $250 CPUs, $500 GPU, $100 PSU, and $300 Gaming Cases?

Should I go 970 or 1060? Budgets suck.

1060 > 970

sure
why are you so poor

damn nigger you went all out

>770
>59%
my fucking sides

just upgraded from a 290x to a 980ti, so similar

very worth it. Just get one that overclocks well

Not him, but I just bought a GTX 950.

I'm not American and pc components prices are 2x(80% tax + reseller profits) times more expensive here. I'm not even counting the wage differences.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3ykYd6

Gets more 16 GBs of ram. Future proofing and ramdisks are worth it.

You already have one 1TB HD laying around? Buy one more 1TB hd. You don't realize how fast you can burn space with how big games and videos are nowadays.

Bite the bullet now Is and get the 1080. You'll be set for awhile.

Never ever buy an x60 Nvidea card.

x70 cards are for poorfag budget builds, it will last 1 year at Max settings.

x80 cards are the sensible option for Max settings over your expected timeframe years

x80Ti cards are for enthusiasts, and will allow you to hit those good framerates (120-144) and Run real resolutions like 4k.

TITAN cards are for spotting autistic streamers who don't understand videogame technology.

If you look at the specs for that small EVGA 1060 it's actually really fucking good. Higher boost clock than most 2-fan cards. So either EVGA is fiddling with numbers or that one little fan does some magic shit.

Anons I'm looking to make a relatively cheap budget build, and this is what I've come up with.
pcpartpicker.com/list/FbDHWX
How is it?

>x70 cards are for poorfag budget builds, it will last 1 year at Max settings.

No, it will not. Since the games are all going to start using DX12, their lifespan are going to be much higher.

which cards normalize 2k gaming at 60 FPS? is there a chart for things like this?

>Titan Z is not on that list.

Sure thing mate, I'll just be over here in reality, playing games on Vulkan.

what country?

Brazil.

I play to stay on a single monitor 1080p for quite some time, but my old 660ti isnt handling the new releases very well anymore.

What is a good compromise between price and 1080p performance?

Get a better case, also you don't need a heatsink since the i3 6100 comes with one. (evo 212 is outdated and shitty anyway)

You can't somehow import components for US prices?

Whats wrong with that case in particular? I chose that one because the dimensions just barely fit in my desk where I need to put it

>Future proofing
>Ram

he can buy ram any day.
why getting an astronauts suit now when its 20 years till civil spacefaring?

retards these days

There're two ways:
1)Going to the US to buy them or having a friend/relative buy it for you. $500 dollars limit.
2)Buying from a company that sends it to you in a way that can fool customs(Present that's less than $50).

The last one is risky, since you need to rely on the customs officer own incompetence. He needs to believe the product in the box cost less than $50.

It's not really worth it, tbqh.

move to glorious white people country user

>Waiting for Vega and Zen
It hurts, I want to support AMD so much and I feel obligated to wait for their offerings. I just wish THEY WOULD FUCKING HURRY UP JESUS CHRIST I'M TIRED OF WAITING.

I'll still go Intel + Nvidia if they end up sucking but I'll regret jumping the gun otherwise and I can wait.

4 years is pushing it on any card. I generally go for the X70 cards then replace them once the new series hits.
GTX1070 is the golden price/performance ratio (assuming you want your games to look good, which you should), but chances are that you will be upgrading after 2 years anyways. Thats how it has prettymuch always been.
people say shit like 1080 is only for 4k xD
But dont listen to those plebs. 4k isnt worth it, but you know what is? Playing games at 144fps. Once you go 144hz, you never go back. Same with g-sync.

I would if I could, but I guess they prefer muslins instead.

This is pretty irrelevant but I just wanted to brag.

Recently sent my 980 in under warranty and they just sent me a 980ti back. I'm pretty stoked about it.

EVGA seems to be pretty cool
heard they have very good drivers and warranty

>nvidia

enjoy being jewed

>tfw the 290 I got second hand a few years ago is still one of the best performance per dollar cards
dat value life

I don't think that case uses 3 140mm fans, most fan slots are for 120mm.

The R5 supports a radiator at the top. You can get an AIO watercooler with 2-3 fans so it's about as quiet with slightly better performance. The performance improvement isn't worth the extra money, but not having a giant fan block on the CPU will keep your case looking cleaner.

Other than that, fucking solid build.

>mfw still on 660 Ti

I just can't push newer games at max settings, but everything I play is at 1080p with no framerate drops.

looking at reviews for it has told me everything i already assumed, cheap side panel, horrible front filter, flimsy case resulting in vibration/annoying noise. non existent cable management, plus you're building with a itx mobo so i don't really understand the point.

There's another group of people who use Titan, and that's poorfag who can't afford Quadro for lighter rendering or parallel computing work.

This is my life. All I do anymore is emulate and play Neptunia. Anything else I play is not demanding at all. I want to upgrade my old R9 270 but it plays all my games perfectly.

>mfw doing another play of Metal Gear Rising

>$430 for a 1070

stop

Underrated post. 1070 has the best performance per dollar spent.

I mean, if you can buy any of them without compromising something else in your build, I'm not sure why you'd buy something other than a 1080. But the 1070 is the best compromise.

I'm considering a 1060 as a sideways move to allow me to take advantage of the extra vram and replace the 7770 in my wife's computer with my current 970. I'm holding off on spending more on this generation to see how the dx12 support is going to shake out.

EVGA is made of dreams

I have a 560 and its got a few blades snapped off the fan and its still working fine.

Anything you'de recommend for a similar price? I'm trying to stay under 800

>AMD cards have absolute shit drivers on launch but if you wait long enough...

>DirectX12
>nvidia

Why do they shoot themselves in the foot