youtube.com/watch?v=l-nA3se_-8s
youtube.com/watch?v=-YMVHyxBI04
youtube.com/watch?v=yPSCeVSM0Sg
youtube.com/watch?v=Gev9adS9GTc
hao-li.com/publications/papers/siggraph2015FPSHMD.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=rgKkEnaaSDc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FART

That's pretty neat, though it's just a dynamic light source that is attached to a physical body

There are still modern games whose lighting effects are worse than those in F.E.A.R.

These threads always turn into people bitching about games not having working mirrors

The original Fear had this? Don't remember that

Wait what, a mirror in a modern game?

looks like one of the expansion packs

GTA and Hitman are one of the few ones that still have mirrors

fear has fuck all polygons to render

ehhhh
That one is kinda lame actually. You can still see the bullet decal and the mirror splintering looks like a canned animation. Are there any games where the mirror will actually break dynamically, based on the point of impact?

That's probably one of the best mirror effect I've seen in a video game.

I played both, don't remember this.

But chances are, I just took it for granted.
It's pretty cool. Tower Unite also has projectors, but since that's a 2016 game, it's not that impressive

Nah, that's the base game. Just after you enter ArmaTech.

>shoot at a projector from close range with a shotgun
>doesn't destroy the projector
anti-technology thread?

>all this technology
>game is still shit

Not really technology anymore, quite a lot of shooters have this nowadays. Maybe during FEAR 2 days it was fascinating to watch

>FEAR 2
Pretty sure that's Riddick.

bump i love these threads

duke3d had working mirrors 20 years ago

no excuse

There is literally nothing impressive in this webm.

all games should have working mirrors and realtime refelections at this point

How many games have you seen pull off realtime reflections on your sunglasses?

It's not hard to do though, you just set a reflective shader to the material of the glasses.

If this was ten years ago it might've been neat. Now? Not so much.

not many desu but they should all have them if the game is considered AAA

yeah people dont get how trivial this is. Just take a typical flashlight in a game, a spotlight with a texture, and change the texture every frame. thats it

Holy shit

These are also pretty dope

Projecting a decal is much different from just a dynamic light source, especially from something like ten years ago

But can he get in bed and get under the covers?
fabric is the hardest fucking thing to do in a video game so nobody fucking does it.

youtube.com/watch?v=yiVmpvUuax8

This is probably one of the most impressive thing I've seen recently.

It's hilarious to me that despite all it's technological short comings in nearly every other department, Deadly Premonition lets you sleep under covers.

end game looked like that though, they just removed the lens flare and blue tint, which is for the better.

Pic related is modded lighting but everything else is cryengine 2.

For the last time, the reason mirrors don't exist is because FPS games have no bodies as they're considered unnecessary by devs.

just rendering another copy of the room and character through a hole in the wall, same sort of thing has been done in 2d games since super nintendo

Why could they have made a gran turismo game with the graphics of drive club but the improved handling of GT?

That's a terrible excuse though.

It also had realtime beard growth, the most important technology ever put in a video game.

test

That ain't covers.
That's clipping through a pile of bodies.

kek

it could make a great scene in a horror movie though

I don't see how your observation on the laziness of devs contradicts my post.

Is there no blood in this game or something?

I'm always reminded of this from this webm

youtube.com/watch?v=gLwh9S0jtak

Any video of this?

Deadly premonitions.

something wrong with this 1s brain

I wonder, does other AI react to blood on the wall if we hide the body?

I know this game is never actually getting a full release,
but there was I time when I was super pumped for the new updates because
they were always adding neat shit
youtube.com/watch?v=6cXgvW_yHFQ

pls be the right one

>arterial spray

Thats pretty neat

Nice

wat

"Technology" is not "quality"

>house of leaves.webm

I think I just figured out how they did that. Polygons are typically set so you can only see one side of them. That why if you noclip inside a barrel for instance, you can still see outside, rather than just seeing the inside of a barrel. Or in cutscenes if the character clips into the camera and suddenly you can see through part of their face.

Hang on let me draw it

I'm confused

That's dope

Just bumping with FEAR webms now. Not even really TECHNOLOGY

What a I not seeing here?

the warehouse is always 2 garage door wides, even though it should be 3 since the middle is always there and you entered through either the left or right door

You're right, this is more of a glitch that lends itself to an optical illusion than a technology win. The textures for the two sides of the closed garage are placed wrong, so you see each side in the opposite places, relatively speaking.

>notice the guys legs are moving depending on the direction
okay neat
>realize it's showing off a door texture glitch
oh

pay attention to the walls inside the garage.

Hint: impossible space

The proper term is backface culling

This series was not supposed to be horror games?

>FEAR

Just started playing this again, after having played it way back at release.

Are the Expansions worth playing?

I need to finish reading that book
Got about 20% in then lost interest completely once it went on a ramble about light for about six pages

Despite the episodic release structure, this is clearly the best Hitman game. It'll especially show once the full game is out.

They're action horror. FEAR and it's expansions have really incredible lighting, atmosphere and sound design and creates excellent tension. It happens to have very very satisfying shooting and enemy AI too.

it is shooter that has a J-horror inspiration at times.

EP is more of the same for better or worse.
PM is good but everyone gives it shit for some reason.
For the love of fuck do not touch the sequels.

I would honestly call FEAR 3 better than 2 just because its biggest crime was that it was just generic an FPS as possible. FEAR 2 did literally everything wrong, and didn't have the excuse of being made by a different team like 3 was

>First person weapon animation is done on the entire model rather than being separate
>not technology

>Technology thread
>Posts the exact opposite

Dead Island does this, it's not really TECHNOLOGY worthy so it seems.

>no game will ever put half the effort that fear put into their TECHNOLOGY and ai

It's a fucking trip dude. I urge you to finish it.
They're both pretty great, especially extraction point.. They're both better than FEAR 2 and 3 at any rate.

>For the love of fuck do not touch the sequels

I played FEAR 2 way back during release, and I dont remember it being bad. I dont remember anything about it honestly.

I never played FEAR 3, but that was kinda the whole point of starting up 1 again, was to play through the entire series now that I have them

That's the joke, dummy.

Please learn how to play the game not like a total retard if you're going to make shitty webms you stupid fuckwit.

Pic related, my head

LET'S BREAK IT DOWN
>that throwing animation
>invincible kneeling man
>seemingly doesn't prime the grenade at all
>half the chairs don't move
>some of the shadows are stuck
>people blasted away while still in seated animation
>man reacts as if hes been shot
and last but not least, watch the potted plant closely

you must find third person games astounding

9 FUCKING YEARS AGO

Holy shit, this is comedy gold

Is there a game that uses this "feature" of video games as a gameplay element?

FEAR 2 loses alot of the atmosphere, while also ramping up the narrative more than it needed to. Gunplay is fine, but it feels more like a COD campaigh. The enemy AI is fucking trash by comparison.

FEAR 3 feels like it was supposed to be a on-rails light gun shooter. Take that as you will. Oh, and the plot is fan-fiction tier.

It's black magic

Antichamber maybe

>I dont remember anything about it honestly.

That was the problem though, it wasn't technically that bad, but it was a totally forgettable game.

its shame really better ai could easily be made but they wont due to brain dead play testers and god awful deadlines along with corner cutting

The plant could't take all that TECHNOLOGY and exploded.

I can dead in peace now,

>I dont remember anything about it honestly.
That's a good summary of FEAR 2. All anyone seems to remember is the female on male rape.

>Stay out of the womens restroom, JC

The only person who noticed the grenade was a man with a bag over his head, facing a wall.

is this game as terrible as this webm makes it look or is this just a cherry-picked weak moment?

I haven't played a demo but I've seen lots of stuff like this posted.

Same happened to Crysis.

Crysis 1 was amazing, Warhead was better, and 2/3 were terrible.

10/10 post

Fuck that's comfy

While that filename suggests a paid shill that is quite nice.

*screams internally*
Game? Please don't tell me it's that shitty Homefront sequel.

antichamber

This is so goddamn technological I refuse to believe it's in game. But I'm also sure the devs completely missed the opportunity for using it as a gameplay feature.

whatever this game is I will buy it immediantly

shitty homefront sequel

it plays like a clunkier far cry. Not too bad honestly.

Sorry, but no, its just multiple textures

FEAR 2 is good senpai, my only real complaint is that the shotgun won't carry you through the game like the first

As far as preview videos and critical features, the AI is looking abysmal.
Note to videogame corporates, don't give a newbie studio the task of making an open world game.

>technology
>posts halo 5
Bored user?

WILL YOU PEOPLE QUIT FUCKING POSTING THIS WEBM
THE GAME IS NO LONGER IN PRE-ALPHA, ALPHA, OR BETA. THIS WEBM IS NOT A SIGN OF THE STATE THE GAME WILL BE IN WHEN IT LAUNCHES.
OKAY? FUCKING GET IT IN YOUR HEADS.

wow, were they really that lazy?

Neat. Thanks

No you were right.
If we wanted the shit that asshole is posting then this would be a Quality thread not a Technology thread.

Paid shill, likely on the way out from another thread.

But thats from a few weeks ago.

FEAR 2 was fine, fun even.
FEAR 3 was complete trash.

>t. BLM cuck

>Lazy
>Finding a easy workaround to make a sign you'd never see up close look like it's made of pixels

you really care a lot about other people's opinion of this game. Why?

>Pretty sure it's watch dogs.

Not too bad now.
Was a fucking mess when it released.

>tfw I was just graduating high school when this was a meme

There was the exact same thing in the original Deus Ex in 2000. It's just a detail texture, nothing really impressive honestly.

Even I can do that in Unity in like 10 seconds.

it is

Lazy is not a fair criticism, it'd be silly to actually do it, they just did enough to dupe More like aesthetic

Deadly Premonition had a lot of weird attention to detail. Like having the sound of bad florescent lighting and mimicking the effect when you film a crt screen.

they already took the effort to do the pixels, it wouldn't have killed them to add a second texture and multiply the colors

No way, can you do that with other landscape?

>Watchdogs
>Firstperson

It's definitively Homefront 2
Don't be stupid

tfw just watched that movie before going on this thread

>hitman game to finally live up to blood money
>shit
What a shit post.

>Under the car is just a white texture

Nope.

>technology thread
>not a single metal gear mention
Has it finally been dethroned?

Portal o Portal 2 was the first one I think.

>just a white texture

Everyone knows all of them already, MGS and GTA are the kings of TECHNOLOGY

I also posted and , so no, i'm not a shill, I just had webms to contribute but god forbid I do that, right?

Half the shit in this thread isn't that impressive on a technical level, though. TECHNOLOGY is about how conniving something is, not necessarily how hard it is to do.

is just done via normals for instance, as says. It's piss easy.

and are just using a texture for the spotlight. I could set up the same thing in 3ds max in literally 30 seconds.

crysis 3 reminds me a lot of PhysX

V was fucking shit man and everyone is tired of hearing the same shit. Now it's all about them mirrors.

But if should mentions something is the attention to light in V.

Fuck i never noticed the people staying in the chair animation, like a fucking cartoon my sides.

The way the Penetrator worked in terms of pinning ragdolls to shit was pretty TECHNOLOGY on it's own

It's been a feature of early 2.5D FPS engines, like Build, Quake, or Doom. I can't remember which supported it or not.

ok mr man hit us up with some real TECHNOLOGY then

>Now

>tfw this has more to do with effort than technology
>we barely see stuff like this because devs are too lazy

But i'm not saying THAT DOESN'T COUNT THAT'S NOT THAT hard, i'm saying it being hard doesn't matter for it to count

The person who is going that doesn't count is and

If you go prone in PP and crawl through shrubs/bushes Snake will lower his head to keep them out of his eye

No clue, I just saved the webm, I didn't make it/don't own the game.

*sighs*
*reinstalls PJ64*

there goes my night

What game?

>Not necessarily how hard it is to do
>Proceeds to pick apart three other posts based on how hard they were to do

In Fallout 3, not sure about NV, if an enemy died while holding a weapon in their hand, you could punch the hand and the weapon would ragdoll off the model allowing you to pick it up

>*sighs*

Don't have a wemb but Lara Croft fixing her ponytail every time she comes out of the water in ROTR.
If that counts

>n64 emulation
Also, if you play it with keyboard and mouse, you're a cheating shitter.

Clearly mad, but also technically right. Its about the effect, not how its done, as long as it isn't scripted. The LED goggles in Watch Dogs 2 would be another example

That particular effect is only in the Scotland level.
There are similar ones with mud later on though.

Devs are too lazy to add any sort of wounds, they're made of butter.

The only problem with V is that none of its technology is a surprise because almost every instance of it is an advertised feature.

two exceptions I'm aware of:
>enemies standing in water will be electrocuted if you sever a power cable and it lands in the water, the same can be replicated by using shock decoys and the stun arm
>incapacitated enemies will drown if placed face down in water

*Shoots transvestite cock*

That's more like attention to detail than TECHNOLOGY

Oh, sorry. Slime Rancher. How is that effect done then?

It's a technology thread though, not an "attention to detail thread".
The main goal of the thread is to post some technical achievement, so something pretty hard to do.

shaders

my bad

>a bullet proof projector isn't impressive technology

because polyphony digital are shit

who's the cute little dancing green guy? lol

user, it's a skid plate. It makes the care more aerodynamic and stops rocks and dirt from getting into the important bits.

It's odd, in a lot of ways MGSV's marketing was exactly what you want out of video game marketing, they showed tons of actual gameplay footage that could be replicated in game and it was just as fun as it looked. But on the other hand, that kind of ended up spoiling a lot of the cool features of the game that would have been more fun to discover on your own like the Rocket Fist and all the stuff you can do with cardboard boxes.

Does someone have the webm of shooting water barrels and watching them drain like they would i real life in half life? Might not have been HL, but it was atleast a shooter of that era if i recall correctly.

Jesus Christ. Gaming has really not traveled forward at all.

>shoot right hand
>he's holding his left arm like he was wounded

I DONT WANNA DIE

Why is the guy with the sack over his head the first person to notice?

he was shot in the arm first

His left shoulder got shot at the start.

Is it TECHNOLOGY or Bethesda garbage coding that an NPC with a bucket over their head won't notice you stealing?

Also don't forget
>shining a flashlight in the eyes of a guard wearing night vision goggles will startle them for longer than a guard not wearing them

TECHNOLOGY

Can we have some anti-technology as well?

DON'T LOOK AT IT
*game crashes*

IT'S HER

On one hand, it's dumb that the NPC doesn't really give a shit they have a bucket head. On the other hand, it's cool to know their vision can be obstructed by any sort of object/clutter, not just parts of the environment/world.

>Follow
what

To be fair, games like that are hugely complex, its better to have an ambitious world that sometimes breaks, rather than a locked down linear railstravaganza

Not saying its going to be a good game but metal gear survive had some cool technology where a fence slowly bent the more zombies climbed the fence, it was pretty impressive for a non kojipro dev, unless they have leftover ex kojipro employees still there.

It looks fucking ugly, but apart of that is there something special to notice?

lmao

He was you cock

All thugs in the game have no field of view, and you can basically run around them in circles and they wont be alerted.

Stealth in Mafia 3 is a joke.

Both. The fact that their vision is based on where their eyes are is cool technology but its almost certainly due to bethesda being lazy about something rather than some grand intention.

Just post a full walkthrough video for Fallout 4 then.

I'd argue technology, because it proves that the NPC has a line of sight that's actually centered on their eyes and can be blocked by props as well as level geometry.

You can slide down those surfaces, it leaves a large slide mark in the surface the entire way down and causes that same rock-slide effect . U4 is worth playing just for the TECHNOLOGY, seriously.

KING CRIMSON

Hilarious facial animations aside, you're supposed to notice the part where you teleport like 5 feet forward to do that takedown.

Not really?

Half-Life 2 had it nearly a year earlier with the crossbow.

That is called a Quality thread.
Why can't any of your fuckers get that?
It is like this is your first time on Cred Forums or something.

Yeah, I've been looking for many gameplay videos and the game looks really bad and unpolished. Ai sucks, graphics suck, and it seems to be really repetitive.

>ah, i can finally photograph the wall

Still amazes me to this day.

>1996

Fucking kill me already.

Very nice water

I DON'T WANNA DIE

Do you have to ruin everything?

Fuck off

OP here
I don't really carei if we post 'quality' examples of game design too. I actually really just wanted to talk about FEAR, but i figured the thread would last longer this way.

DROP IT LIKE ITS HOT

didn't happen on my playthrough ;)

>do you have to ruin everything.
Why did you have to ruin a technology thread and make people think that Technology means technological fuck ups instead of wonders.

youtube.com/watch?v=VfUoK5Yelq8
Minor stuff but look at the doctor's right arm(his left)

now im spooked

literally how, that's incredible.

Anyone have a webm of the shibito's facial animations in Siren or the gore mechanics from Soldier of Fortune ?

Oh fuck off you sociopath
Stop ruining everyone's lives first

I dont get it.

I have a memory of this game looking amazing.

The destruction in R6S is amazing, but I wish they could fix these kind of small physical bugs. It happens all the time

Better facial animations than Fallout 4. Bethesda should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

His shirt is crinkly.

>at native resolution and framerate

that is incredible never saw that in a game, asked a friend who is a game dev and he said its to hard to do which is why noone does it and he works at a AAA developer. He also mentioned typically only indie devs will add things like this to their games since they waste their time on the little things instead of the big picture like he does.

OMG WINDOWS 10 IS THE WORST THING EVER AM I RITE!?!?!? WIN7 FOREVER!!!!!!1

I LIKE YOUR ASS

Oh yeah
Fox Engine had some real godly work done with fabrics and whatnot. Shame the best engine of all time is being used for a survival zombie game.

Man, it would be so nice if this level of destruction was in a real game.

Is there a chainsaw?

this game sucks I can see what they wasted their time on here.

Technical limitations?
The game has to render that twice right? Maybe the game has to process two of the same air running in the background so they never bothered adding it? Maybe to stop it from crashing? Like if the player opens the door or puts a bunch of stuff in that room and mirror ais have to react to what the real ais are seeing, but twice? I'm just guessing here, I know nothing how this works.

how can this game have a mirror when not even the new doom or others have mirrors? I thought companies like gearbox said modern vid cards lacked the ability to have mirrros in games?

What game is this? Look tight.

>complex destruction in a game with incredibly small maps

not impressed

TOTALLY NOT MY OWN FAULT FOR PUTTING OFF IMPORTANT SECURITY UPDATES FOR 2 WEEKS! I'M A POWER USER BECAUSE I TOOK COMP SCI CLASSES SO I THINK I KNOW MORE THAN MICROSOFT ABOUT HOW TO KEEP MY PC FROM BEING PART OF A BOTNET!

THAT'S WHY I STAY ON WINDOWS 7 FOREVER BROS!!! I COULD HAVE UPDATED TO A MODERN, BETTER OPERATING SYSTEM FOR FREE BUT I NEVER DID BECAUSE MY GAMES!

Fuck off shill.

I guess there are complex ways to do it properly, but I think there are many simple ways to script it and fix the bug.

What games did this right

Arkham knight has one too in like 1 room because it's used for a puzzle

Cool fallacy. Nice caps.

Thanks neo/g/ poster.

It's a little odd if you play around with it. Those rocks basically have no weight to them at all, anything touching them will cause them to slide down. No matter how lightly. If you start running back and forth across loose rocks it looks like you're kicking around paper mache.
Still neat that they added it.

>still can't disable aero in W10
No fucking thanks.

>A MODERN, BETTER OPERATING SYSTEM

A system that:

>forces Desktop Composition and consequently, Vsync, all the time
>does not have native Direct Draw support, so you have to emulate it which is glitchy garbage and runs like crap
>locks settings behind shitty UWP metro apps which you cannot physically run if you have administrator privileges
>has god awful graphics rendering bugs like funky colors and improper refresh rate control
>also is a spynet

Now, go fuck yourself Microshill.

I shilled zero games in that post.

Autism is a sin, user.

>rock gets triggered to slide when shot
>rocks that get hit by it also slide
>slap a sliding texture behind it and your done
It's not exactly impressive it's just not done often.

>pcfat can't appreciate TECHNOLOGY without shitposting about muh pc muthafucka
Kill yourself

>modern (recent)+ free= better

So, macOS Sierra just released like two weeks ago for free, according to your logic, it is better than Windows 10 and all other operating systems.

That's how shit your logic is

>shilling for microsoft

lmaoing at your life rn.

Upgrade your shitbox.

Or better yet switch to consoles.

t. Pajeet

>1996

>let me just drop this totally inconspicuous bag of whatever on the ground in front of you
God the AI in this game really is fucking terrible.

>my computer is so shit I can't run aero

>I shilled zero games in that post

Exactly, stop shilling for the ps4.

I FUCKING LOVED JETFORCE GEMINI

No retards, it's because it introduces input delay to anything played in borderless windowed mode, like PCSX2

Really forced, not funny, try again fag

I'm on a Macbook Air running Sierra right now so yes I do believe it is better.

Also you're a fucking moron and you can't follow simple logic at all.

>incredibly
>small
>maps

this shit wouldn't work IRL, gunpowder poofs

Same thing happened to me except it was Legate Lanius that it happened to.

No, I give up.

finish it, alot of the rambling about furniture ans shit like that can be glossed over. it's worth it.

*input lag

DOWNHILL DOMINATION.

Muh nigga.

343i isn't just lazy; they're also incompetent

But..

can you draw penises?

>watch bf1 campaign release today
>no terrain deformation
>but they had terrain deformation in BF3 beta 5 years ago

i was so fucking psyched at the time. you niggas had no idea what it was like. spawning on the US side, supports turned into sappers, slowly making trenches across that open field in the north part of the map.

and now it's all gone like tears in rain, the snows of yesteryear

youtube.com/watch?v=MiaAIyKA4TQ.

I spent so long trying to whack lakitu

>another copy of the room and character
This is very rarely the technique that is used, and it's definitely not the case in Riddick.

F.E.A.R. was ahead of its time. Probably one of the best FPS games out there.

They are most likely using Screen Space Reflections, which while real time can't really relay the info that the player has a gun in front of a guard, which is why he doesn't react.

If they rendered the room twice (as in another 47 being copied) it would be easy to use that to make the guard go alert when his gun is pulled out (since it could be treated as the player)

Terrain deformation is in multiplayer BF1.

It could have been ace of spades but shinier looking
what a shame

I dont know about single player but it was in the multiplayer beta

Poo.

that hud though

To be fair if any element was smaller it would be really difficult to distinguish

Every time someone says these two words it reminds me of this fucking game.

You aren't even good at games though

I've seen it in MP alpha footage and it was in the beta. The terrain around the D flag would get completely fucked by tanks.

is ace of spades actually a good game? I downloaded unturned instead and played that for like 30 minutes and deleted it.

>frac
>ture

Fuck man. That game had so much potential.

>The main goal of the thread is to post some technical achievement, so something pretty hard to do
You're a newfag or a dummy who doesn't understand the meme. The whole point of TECHNOLOGY is that the player is impressed by a detail they didn't expect in the game, and in their naive (possibly young) mind, they imagine it like it's because of some advancement in vidya tech. It doesn't have to actually be technically impressive at all. The whole point of the joke is that the player just assumes it is, hence the all caps.

*teleports in front you*

not to the same degree as BF3 beta.

nope completely removed.

someone hook me up with some zelda: botw TECHNOLOGY webms

Ace of spades was pretty fun at a point (particularly with Cred Forums) but the introduction of the SMG and probably some other stuff ruined much of that, mostly because the SMG is too generalist which makes the gunplay unfun
That and I think autoclimb which minimized the need for infrastructure of any sort

>Have to "cut" the bottom off

Well, that was almost technology.

>not to the same degree as BF3 beta.
>nope completely removed.
Which one is it?
I saw it myself in the beta you ding dong

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory did it right. That's the only one I've seen.

Why does Max Payne 3 have such bad muzzle flashes? They put all this details into everything else, but the muzzle flashes are uglier than MP1 and look like butt when you pause.

That second guy was surrendering you inconsiderate fuck.

wait i think i misunderstood.

i'm saying the terrain deformation was removed completely in BF3's SP, and has been toned down a lot in BF1 beta.

say no more

nice meme

i like your humor
i also liked that movie

Should change the filename to PLEASE SAMI

YOU'RE LYING MORGAN

>fire smoke is strong enough to pull him up in an instant
Lol what?

This shit is bananas
Can't fucking wait

what did they close server support to bf3 or something

Name of video, I've forgotten the name of that LA noire video

It isn't that. It is the bounced lighting coming from it.

Hot damn I'm a sucker for GI.

The wholes are about as big as the one at the beginning of the video, And you can make em deeper. I dont think you can go as deep as in that video but you can make some nice cover with it.

You're missing the point, they went the extra mile to add detail to the game. That is the entire point of these threads, not to declare who used what technology first

No One Lives Forever 2 did it 2 years earlier than HL2.

The NOLF games are sorely underappreciated.

It's one of the gamerpoop episodes

youtube.com/watch?v=mM-bfn8vZ_w

There's a review embargo

>flies in the completely wrong direction

FEAR 2 was notable only for ghost rape. Thoroughly mediocre otherwise.

The only thing I remember from FEAR 3 is pure, unadulterated frustration since the game throws the same shit at you regardless of whether or not you have two people.

C-cute? That is a r-racist w-white supremacist frog user

Pretty sure FEAR 1 is not calculating any bounces. It looks to me like it's just that the light includes a soft edge around the projector image in the center, much like a regular flashlight.

>Make shitty sequel
>It looks worse

it is homefront 2

driveclub's weather effects are actually pretty shit once you leave 1st person, it's very obvious that it only rains or snows right in front of the car. I'm not blaming the devs for this (that's optimization 101) but most games make an effort to hide the illusion and in Driveclub it's just so obvious

Blood effects and wound decals (which are parallax mapped btw) are done quite realistically actually. Even with blunt weapons like in the webm, you can see a circular bruise that appears on the guard's forehead.

Why is FEAR insanely impressive to this day?

youtu.be/DH9T74YIP0Q?t=1h25m38s

>I'M STUCK! GIMMIE A HAND!

Aero hasn't had interfering v-sync since since fucking 7 came out

it hit the lip of the pit it's in

youtube.com/watch?v=rKvSw6rk75w

I have a pretty specific memory of standing right behind a guard staring into a bathroom mirror who completely failed to see me

It's actually not, but because FEAR is a well-liked game regarded by many as classic, people make it sound like it's the best at everything and unequaled. There are plenty of recent games with more impressive lighting but no one's going to bother making a collection of webms for a game they think is AAA linear cinematic console trash or whatever.

It absolutely still does. Any program being run in a window follows the desktop composition, which forces V-Sync when aero is enabled.

No one ever seems to talk about Crysis 2 or 3. I'm really liking 2 so far, but how is 3?

>steam rerelease never ever ;_;

I think my statement stands when it demonstrates more technology than it's contemporary counterparts. That's not even counting how absolutely innovative it was at the time.

One of the best shotguns of all time.

More of the same of 2. Same kind of linear arena gameplay.

Still fun though. Get to explore more of NYC, and some levels are beautiful.

youtube.com/watch?v=l-nA3se_-8s

that should tell you everything you need to know about 3

terrain deformation on bf3 beta only.

hopefully in 5 years or so when bf3 modding gets going we will have something like BF3: PR

is that a naked loli?

If you enjoy 2, you should enjoy 3. It's pretty much more of the same with an overpowered stealth bow and levels that are overgrown ruins instead of a city. It's damn good looking if your computer can handle it, but I thought it was even easier than 2 and mostly forgettable. Still, plenty of cloaking and climbing and stealth kills and action.

>The NOLF games are sorely underappreciated.

They were popular enough back in the day. Problem is, most nugamers never played them because no one's distributing original/digital copies anymore.

this is nice and all but most materials simply wouldn't react like that, there'd be more splintering/imperfection/etc. it's usually not thought of for a reason

>Pass user since 2016

Oh shit I just got why people are losing their shit. FUCKING NIP MOOT WTF

Post the pic of how subways work in Fallout if you have it

I felt the same. I replay Crysis 1/2 every year or so, only played 3 I think twice.

I really miss the multiplayer in both games though. A LOT of fun.

Of coursh

I thought it was because they couldn't make climbing animations because Todd hired a friend in college who didn't have any experience with animation.

While this may be true, all ladders in Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim led to new places, such as transitioning from inside to the outdoors. Most exit doors do the same thing. This isn't that offensive. It does bug me seeing characters just fade out of existence when they leave a room though.

>why the long face, mickey?

wait a minute... if this is supposed to be set in the 1950's or 1960's why the fuck are there AK's being used by confederate-fags?

they'd be using M1 carbines if anything

You forgot
>chairs got blasted away with a delay after people

GET
DOWN

It's set in the seventies, post-Vietnam War.

Jesus christ that FOV and giant HUD and gun model

i like how the infected move and react to being shot in l4d
Is that TECHNOLOGY?

senpai, you dare to post fucking hideous destructor in this thread?
For one, its not entirely TECHNOLOGY but god damn, pulling that shit on the spaghetti mess that is DECORATE/ACS is amazing.

jesus christ this fucking game

and that motion blur

>The people fly back first
>The chairs follow

and who failed his animation class. It feels like the whole studio is some 90s dev team stuck in a time warp

You must not be very tech literate, if you'll pay attention in probably more than 90% of games you play they do not do this.

If Dead Island did it, it did it terribly compared to how well executed it was done in Riddick. Compare what you see in that webm in Riddick, and in this video. And apparently in Mirror's Edge, as I just now found out.

youtube.com/watch?v=-YMVHyxBI04

youtube.com/watch?v=yPSCeVSM0Sg

It might not be TECHNOLOGY in your eyes but it should, at the very least, be QUALITY in your eyes.

I'd love to see an entire game based around this kind of thing. Does antichamber deliver on that?

my head hurts

Pretty well, yeah
It and the Stanley Parable have some good non-euclidian shit

And yet it looks better than modern games.

Well if we're going there might as well start posting pannekoek and perhaps that new blinking vid

Antichamber is pretty good. Try going in blind with no walkthroughs and it's quite rewarding.

HOW DID THIS GAME NOT GET SEQUELS

This would have been cool in Constantine's mansion in Thief: The Dark Project desu

>antichamber
practically all the rooms are like that, your mind will melt.

seriously made my jaw drop. Was not expecting that

The map exploration is great but the actual puzzles are mostly just block puzzles. It's a fun ride but don't pay full price. Also, the time limit is fake, don't let it stress you out.

That's par for the course when playing any Beth. game honestly.

Yes, but to be fair, for its time it was pretty ahead of the curve in comparison to most games.

this is the most common technique, as it's significantly faster than any other kind of calculation. in fact in some cases, shadows are re-renders of models as well. you are ignorant.

YOU must not be tech literate, because his point is that those games aren't doing anything special with the animations that aren't already done in a ton of 3rd person games. They are sticking a game inside the head of the model to get the first person view, which is why the animations "match up" exactly (because they are the same) and why movement is tied to the animations as well. Incidentally, it's also why Riddick and Fear have lower-detail viewmodels for the guns and limbs. An example of a game where they really DID make separate first-person and third-person models and animate everything twice is Crysis.

Mirror's Edge is actually a weird case because there are no reflections so the model is there for the player shadow and so you can see your legs/body when you look down. In third person (modded) the animations look horrible.

What about this is technology

ok

A review embargo is completely normal though. You're thinking of when they don't allow pre-release coverage at all, that's the red flag.

>can turn himself into and back from smoke

What would that even feel like?

>scripted ability
>technology

Where does he tuck the gun in to?

Riddick would be impressive if the actual gameplay wasn't shit

nope

>this is the most common technique
It absolutely is not. Maybe, in, like, PS1 and N64 games where it's one gimmick room because it's not an effect in the engine. No one does it anymore.

>mfw nobody has posted the mgs2 ice cubes yet

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU ALL DOING, I CAN'T RECORD MGS 2

It's a very pretty looking cutscene with nice particle effects user, but that isn't TECHNOLOGY

S T E A L T H

I thought I was just memeing before but seriously you fuckers are fooled way too easily by textures with wrinkles on them. Those graphics are dog-shit user. But oh boy there's a flat texture with frown lines on that dudes face so 10/10 so great looking. Ignore all the N64 polygons we've got 5 o-clock shadow!

That was the spookiest part of all the games for me. Not even the librarians spooked me like that.

inb4 someone posts their brilliant coding solution "proving" this isn't actually cool

name games that do mirrors another way, please

Eh kinda? Pretty easy to make a certain set of animations play depending on where something gets shot I kinda liked how if you watched the infected fight eachother one would eventually die

>this is the not most common technique because i say so

no really it is

I miss Prey.

Remember when Blood Money shipped with one level in it? I don't.

That's just what scrubs like you tell themselves to excuse their sub-par play user.

ok

I have the most distinct feeling that you did not read my response to the other guy.

Thank you

This is the most realistic thing I've ever seen in a video game.

The MGS 2 ice cubes are a myth. They fly out and shrink at a steady rate, nothing is calculated about their proximity to other cubes or anything like that. It's just something someone made up and got spread around as truth.

I legit never got what was so impressive about that webm.

I suddenly want to try this game.

Newfags, everybody.

Yes Prey oh my god.
Everyone shills Morrowind or Deus Ex as a game they're always going back to, but for me it's fucking Prey.
This is the DNF that we deserved.
The interaction is just so damn comfy.
I'm buying the next Human Head game in a heartbeat.

well, all of the ones posted in this thread except for Mario 65, including that picture I used, for starters

here, have a really old example

that's just a trick
the build engine (duke 3d, blood SW) does this by default because you can layer rooms directly on top of each other
youtube.com/watch?v=Gev9adS9GTc

what game? I feel like I've played this.

This is atleast happening in realtime and looks nice, I'll give you that. You're still missing the point of the thread if you think things that look pretty are what anyone means by TECHNOLOGY.

It looks nice. Millenials love sparky flashing colorful thingies.

ok

Prey Is obsessed with doing mindfucks of this caliber.
You should check it out.

>that casual flip off the railing
holy keks

the ice cube thing was never implemented, it's a joke kojima made and everyone took it seriously.

most of the things people make fun of Kojima for were him joking, the internet is too autistic to tell when he's not being serious.

this

epic xD

I'm serious, I'm not trying to be snarky or anything. Alright, it looks kinda pretty. But what is TECHNOLOGY about it ?

nothing
it's just a fancy particle effect clipping through some awnings

way do you give a shit

Is this one of those things that are just used once and don't serve any purpose other than to look neat if you ever decide to shoot a pile of gravel?

FEAR was so fucking ahead of its time it's fucking embarassing for every single modern video game.
A mediocre horror game, excellent fucking shooter.

Because I wanted to understand if there was some sort of cool shit going on behind the scenes. That's the point of these threads.

I think it's a MoH game, don't know which.

Same poster, I fucking love Prey.
It's a tough love, because Prey really lags in some bits, especially with the ghost children and vehicle sections, but outstanding game nonetheless.

why are you posting shit that's barely related to the thread?

Even the newest newfag could have read this one thread and probably gotten a grasp on what these threads are about. Fuck off. Second Son is also shite.

What's wrong with the new Hitman?
I haven't played it yet, reminded me of Ground Zeroes so I thought I'd check it out. I like stealth games.

No, I just didn't watch the videos, I thought they were first-person examples. Why are you posting examples of games that aren't made to be played in third person? His point (and mine) is that nothing about the Riddick animations is any more impressive than what you see in any third-person game. By putting the camera inside the third-person model's head they get perfectly synced reflections "for free".

This one is actually more impressive because it's not about the quality of the animations, it's that they're highly contextual which IS rare.

Holy shit what game?

Everytime this is posted I want to point out that he tilts his head but then i remember the rest of the game doesn't turn and I don't realize this right away because I'm fucking stupid

what technology did they use? source?

Caught me off guard, laft hard.

A wee bit broken but still nice, hdt equipment is also good.

>Most game engines these days just magnify the entire screen instead of rendering a magnified scope
I remember thinking the Battlezone scope was fucking amazing for actually zooming in.

what the hell are you on about what is the thread about then tell me

It's basically 2 but prettier and with off-putting faces because you can see all the pores and shit in them set in an overgrown city with a murderbow.

I remember being stuck for nearly ten minutes at the beginning of the game because I didn't think to thoroughly check the storage closet.

>mfw there was a tiny portal in the closet
>mfw a portal in general at the time blew my mind

Damn I never played around enough with the gimmick toys in V

Squad I think.

Lmfao

could use some technology to help this poor nigga out
his brain barely functioning

Allied Assault. The first PC one.

>If I ignore him, maybe he'll go away

It's Arma 2 with a mod that's not fully working right.

Instances where devs went above and beyond in adding small details/interactions to games that aim for realism.

so nothing ok

People have been literally been spelling it out for you, user.
If a thing in-game is happening and what's going on behind the scene isn't ahead of its time or really complex, then it's not TECHNOLOGY.

So in the game, you can stand between the two and appear to be trapped in a room with some garage door?

this game still looks good by today's standards

I hope the new prey holds up.

Excuse me

Unless they finally have dynamic events (Meaning every NPC does their own thing without having to be "triggered" by the playercharacter) it's still shit

Unreal engine for example uses portals, effectively the same as the calculation the engine uses to say "Okay, this is a window/doorway. What should I render on the other side of it?" A mirror in Deus Ex is basically a window that looks back into the same room instead of outside to somewhere else.

As for Build, it's a similar system I don't fully understand (for some reason you need a "mirror sector" behind the mirror but it's NOT a copy of the room). Build uses portals for all its sector connections though so I imagine it's pretty much the same thing.

anitchamber
portal 2

If you're looking for an action game which does it; P R E Y

Honestly they're the game's strongest suit. The game gives you almost total free reign over your method of approaching missions and custom tailoring your loadout, but everyone plays it safe by picking tranq pistol + tranq rifle and then complains they make the game too easy.

Picking all lethal firearms and nothing but diversionary support weapons makes the game ultimate fun mode.

What happens if you park a car there?

Something like thisUnintended sideeffects of coding that make things work in a relatively impressive way. Something pointless to the game, but that still shows attention to detail

Yeah completely normal for games that turn out to be shit

ok i still don't get what i'm doing wrong

I would watch the videos. I would also read my response and probably pay attention to the things I say.

>it did it terribly compared to how well executed it was done in Riddick
>It might not be TECHNOLOGY in your eyes but it should, at the very least, be QUALITY in your eyes.

If the animations are achieved so easily, even "for free" as you say then there's absolutely no reason Dead Island nor Mirror's Edge should have had to work around the first person cam. After all, it's free.

The graphics aren't technically better but they LOOK better. That's what's important.

ok fuck you fucking sperg

Wut.

MGS2 is the best one.

>Unintended sideeffects
That's the opposite of what the timesplitters barrel is. That had to be done intentionally and probably took a fair amount of work

Because everything you posted is just visually pretty and nothing else. There's nothing interesting behind the scenes going on there

Poor fucking guy

>fallout 3 crooked cartridge glitch

but its the best sony game ever made it has technology

These are the best examples ITT
I doubt the plane knockout was intended. I'll give you the rest though.

ok cool gut show me something interesting asshat

Not who you replied to, but just because games that turn out to be shit typically have review embargoes doesn't mean all games that have review embargoes are shit.

Ah well, thread was fun while it lasted but like all things, insecure cucks from Cred Forums had to come in and ruin it

if you could get this to work with VR multiplayer games it'd be a really cool thing. imagine this level of expression in VR.

How do I put it
The Infamous webms you posted don't really contain anything impressive. The particles were nice but there are many engines that can do the same with little effort. Nothing overly complex here.

but it is impressive fuck you

fuck off

>best sony game ever made
You're thinking of Shadow of the Colossus or Ratchet and Clank. The infamous series is trash, through and through.

Are you baiting? you must be.

I forgot this one herein the list of best examples.

no but it does mean the executives assume it's going to be generally disliked by reviewers, which is a BIG RED FLAG.

sometimes they're wrong, like with shadows of mordor, but most of the time they're right

this

I don't have any TECHNOLOGY today, friends.
Only machinery. horny machinery.

Literally the OP

It's "for free" compared to every other THIRD person game. You are not posting examples of third person games, you are posting first person games that look silly when you use a view that wasn't designed. They only cared about making it look good in first-person, and it was probably actually MORE work tweaking all those animations instead of locking the camera to a third-person model. The downside of the Riddick method (and Fear, and Thief 3, and others) is that you get "lurching" movement where the camera has to follow the animations.

Anyway, let's try this another way: if I showed you a clip of a third-person game with a character in front of a mirror, would you impressed that the animations of the third person model and the reflection matched perfectly? No? Because that's what Riddick is doing, it's just sticking the camera in a different place.

That's exactly where it's headed, actually. Star Citizen has apparently been testing the face capture stuff with webcams for their ship-to-ship communications/voice chat stuff.

That's on the fucking N64?

go fuck yourself

The filename suggests he labelled it as a 3MB file limit version, you mung.

hao-li.com/publications/papers/siggraph2015FPSHMD.pdf

youtube.com/watch?v=rgKkEnaaSDc

>Skyrimhair_1
>Imperial City
hmmmm

Tone it down holy shit, are you twelve ? As I said, people have been literally spelling it out for you sicne you posted these webms. They may LOOK pretty, even IMPRESSIVE to you, but that is NOT the point of these threads. The point of these threads is to post cool behind the scenes shit like the facial animations in Turok 3 that were way ahead of their times.
The particle effects in the webms you posted are not complex nor ahead of their time. Most modern engines can do it.

Asylum, Knight actually used the old fogged mirror trick.

ok

fuck off technology is good

That happened to me just before I killed him for the first time, except I got stuck up top. I had to reload, even though I shot at him from up there until he died, there was no way down.

Again, the particle effects are kinda pretty, but Infamous 2 did the same in 2011.

i bet you can't even see a technology if it is in your face

I dunno senpai, it's pretty impressive tech

Newfag cancer right here. Easily distracted by bright lights.

You are correct in your statements. I think that you're misunderstanding my position. My position was that Riddick took the time to execute it well whereas the other games didn't; they just made sure it worked.

Is there something about the quotes that I gave you in my last response that led you to believe anything other than that?

This isn't a technology thread, it's a TECHNOLOGY thread. It's more about attention to detail than how actually technologically advanced the game is.

>presumption
Not necessarily, in most cases I'd say review embargoes occur due to the game not necessarily 'going gold' until very close to the game's launch date.
As far as I know, Mafia 3 hasn't given out copies at all to reviewers (although there was an MGSV-style preview event), which is due to the game still adding features, the biggest of which being an outfit change system.

Although I'd understand your point if reviewers were actually given copies but told not to say anything about the quality of the game until release (or god forbid the day after).

Even if this thread was about graphics and physics technology and not TECHNOLOGY, that still wouldn't be that impressive.

fuck off
u aren't technology

No? Why are people ITT confusing visual fidelity with TECHNOLOGY?

>implying tech in video games isn't always just game companies finding out how to do things easy but make it feel cool

You're all being baited by some faggot.

Oh wow, you can spawn tons of particles with the press of a single button aka literally press x to win.
Such interactivity and attention to detail for the sake of realism and immersion leaves me astounded.

How is his stream program still running then?

>everyone responding to the user pretending to be a dumb 12-year-old

Stop it you fricks. He's doing that shit on purpose.

see

you couldn't see the point of these threads if it shoved a cactus dildo in your urethras

do you even know what you are talking about you fucking fool

Stop giving Infamous poster (You)s

Most people use one computer to play and another to stream. That way the stream doesn't interfere with the game.

go fuck yourself

The thread is in auto-sage anyway.

I like giving whores their due

Beginning to see it. Oh well.

I just dunno senpai, maybe you just can't appreciate tech like I can but that was some seriously impressive tech in the Infamous webms

>real game
Red Faction: Guerilla

>on purpose.
On Cred Forums, you never know if someone is actually retarded or just pretending.

Usually it's both, though.

Chell got so much prettier in the second game. Beauty sleep is a hell of a drug.

Sure, you can knock over all sorts of shit, but you can't chisel out a glory hole for dick nipples.

Micro-destruction, not macro-destruction.

hmm indeed

RFG was fantastic.

Excellent terrorist simulator.

Just gonna point this out here to all the anons arguing over pointless shit. Most technologically advancing things implemented in games were developed by third parties like nVidia; if something is technologically advanced compared to current standards today in a game, it's very likely not something you see in the game itself like new ways of handling code and structuring code for better optimization.

red faction 1 and 2 you can do that.

and that was on a fucking ps2

Riddick's gameplay was great, what are you on about?

Heart shots are instant kills too.

I remember they set up a couple instances with mirrors and shadows where they can become spooked, but if you disturb the guard beforehand it'll just be typical rules where mirrors and shadows don't matter.
Like say, they can't actually detect you in the mirror or see your shadow on the wall at all. But if the guard is in their default spot, and Sam walks into a spot where he'd be seen, the game will tip the guard off that you entered a spot that you would realistically be seen.

Your friend sounds like a fag.

Bruh I can literally tell what engine this is just from the way the cars interact with the "black hole." This is the opposite of technology.

needs a jojo to be continued version

I guess that's just a golf cart with an invisible roof

No you can't, the only things that make holes in Red Faction 1 and 2 are explosives. That guy wants the ability to shoot out tiny sections.

you are one stupid bitch

nah

u gay

T E C H N O L O G Y

yes it's funny that made the engine in that game get out you stupid fuck

nah

u gay

>it's funny that made the engine in that game
Are You Of Heàrd Of Englizsch Ânön

>She rather killed herself than went out with you