The most coherent release of this year was an FPS

>The most coherent release of this year was an FPS

Coherent = painfully repetitive with game mechanics stolen from fucking Duke Nukem Forever.

What's so surprising about that

>the best fps in 14 years

>>the best fps in 14 years
Crysis 2 was released five years ago, though, user.

What?

Good joke, you're funny user.

fucking loved this game

I actually thought the locked room deathmatch arenas were stolen from Serious Sam, but I never played any of those so I couldn't say for sure.

>What?
Doom 4 is autistically repetitive, and the Glory Kill system is clearly lifted from Duke Nukem Forever's melee kill system.

Duke Nukem Forever is now basically Doom 4 with better level design.

>game mechanics stolen from X
So basically everything after Wolfenstein and shit?

use this pic op. its better then your shit.

It only just beats Wolfenstein: TNO for the title.

Both great FPSs, but d44m is just that little bit more focused on being a shooter and it makes all the difference.

>with game mechanics stolen from fucking Duke Nukem Forever.

WHAT
WHAT
WHATTTT

>I actually thought the locked room deathmatch arenas were stolen from Serious Sam
Serious Sam almost always allowed you to run across the level like an idiot when you got chased. Locking you in a room over and over and over and over again is... well, to be honest, I can't think of any other FPS games that do it as obnoxiously as Doom 4 does.

>So basically everything after Wolfenstein and shit?
Speaking of Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: The New Order stole half its mechanics from Syndicate. Doom 4 stole a fair bit from Syndicate, too.

The fact the Syndicate team worked on both Wolfenstein and Doom 4 is probably a factor, though.

wait, duke just had an uppercut as "gory" kill or do I remember wrong?

Oh so you're retarded, thanks for clearing that up.

Have people seriously forgotten that one of Duke Nukem Forever's major game mechanics was shooting enemies until they fell to their knees, and then pressing E to kick them to death?

Even DOOM's "lol, look at me, I'm a grimdark FPS game that doesn't take itself seriously" thing was lifted from DNF.

DOOM does NOTHING new or innovative or even midly interesting. The designers resorted to super samey combat in a string of super samey arenas because designing a proper campaign was too hard. It's one of the most creatively bankrupt FPS games ever made.

>best fps in 14 years
>it isnt even the best fps of its own release year
loving every laugh

>wait, duke just had an uppercut as "gory" kill or do I remember wrong?
Duke shot enemies until they became vulnerable to melee takedowns.

The Syndicate/Wolfenstein melee system lets you kick heads in and snap necks at will. The DNF/DOOM version forces you to weaken enemies first.

Also, DOOM's love of enemies that teleport out of nowhere is a lot like DNF.

Doom is certainly better than TNO but both are pretty fucking bad
apparently they can just get a free pass because of a name

>Both great FPSs, but d44m is just that little bit more focused on being a shooter and it makes all the difference.
Being a one trick pony isn't a positive attribute for a videogame.

I caused one little plague and Bob Page got scared he said "your appointment to FEMA should be finalized within the week. I've already discussed the matter with the Senator."

>Have people seriously forgotten that one of Duke Nukem Forever's major game mechanics was shooting enemies until they fell to their knees, and then pressing E to kick them to death?

m8 that existed in gears of war before duke nukem

>Even DOOM's "lol, look at me, I'm a grimdark FPS game that doesn't take itself seriously" thing was lifted from DNF.

Those kinds of games have been around for over 20 years. We're getting a bit silly here.

The game was just a reversion to old school FPS that's why there's nothing innovative about it. What modern FPS has been more enjoyable to play?

>Melee finishers
>The same as Glory Kills

There's a whole set of gameplay systems that contribute to a combat loop that DNF didn't have at all.

>DNF
>Grimdark

>Implying anyone said DOOM was innovative

Why are you so stupid you stupid nigger?

>FPS game for people who are bad at FPS games
>Best FPS game this year

No user.

Goddamnit. He's right. I haven't touched DNF since the five hours I played the day it launched, and I think I had blocked out a lot of the memories of it.

I mean, I was already on board to bash Nu-Doom. I refunded it after 32 minutes because of that samey arena combat and the fucking annoying as hell Glory Kill system. Visually it reeked of Doom3 with the lights turned on properly.

Now I'm going to have to clear some time to reinstall DNF. I smell a comparison video coming.

It's not that good...

>The game was just a reversion to old school FPS that's why there's nothing innovative about it.
It plays NOTHING like an old school FPS, though. It isn't some "return to roots". It's a faux-retro FPS which also plays nothing like any of the classic Doom games.
>What modern FPS has been more enjoyable to play?
Pretty much all of them. Even bleeding Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 had a less repetitive campaign, and that campaig was awful.

These shitposts are getting boring

I would actually like to see DNF and nu-DOOM properly compared, because they're got some weird similarities, design-wise. Main character on a mad quest to kill all the demons/aliens despite the fact the President/Hayden keeps telling him to stop blowing things up.

The key difference is Duke Nukem Forever has working mirrors.

>It plays NOTHING like an old school FPS, though
It plays exactly like Painkiller which is 12 years old now. You get locked into an area, you kill everything and you move on.

>Pretty much all of them. Even bleeding Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 had a less repetitive campaign, and that campaig was awful.
With extremely heavy scripting, regenerating health, a weapon limit, a shorter length and terrible gunplay sure it was better whatever you say

I'm playing it right now. Made it to level 5 or so and it's already becoming somewhat boring desu.
It also feels kinda slow at times.

Doom 2016 only pays lip service to "oldschool" shooter design
it's a modern shooter through and through

>Someone tells you to stop destroying their shit
Wow that's never happened before in video games what a weird similarity!

Are you brain damaged perhaps?

You're ignoring my point, kinda. Black Ops 3 has the worst CoD campaign ever, but even it wasn't as bad as Nu-Doom. It had SOME variety. It had SOME attempt at level design that wasn't a series of arenas.

>It plays exactly like Painkiller which is 12 years old now. You get locked into an area, you kill everything and you move on.
Which is the complete anti-thesis of Doom, by the way.

Nah painkiller is way more fun than d44m. Better music, faster movement and more enemies coming at you. Also the motherfucking stake gun.
I've been replaying Painkiller I actually have both it and d44m installed now over the years but I don't think I'll ever bother to play d44m again.

Where's the weapon limit?
Where's the aim down sights?
Where's the regenerating health?
Where's the hours worth of unskippable cutscenes?
Where's the AI controlled soldiers who follow you through the game and never stop talking?
Where's the 20 minute intro?

Oh.

Hitting a button to execute something that you can shoot to death isn't a defining gameplay mechanic.

>It had SOME attempt at level design that wasn't a series of arenas.
Did we play the same game? Hyper linear scripted shitfests are new and exciting?

>Which is the complete anti-thesis of Doom, by the way.
How so? The fact you don't get locked in rooms?

I fucking hate the glory kill system. I feel like cheating when I'm using it but you're punished if you don't use it. You don't get any health and waste more ammo killing the staggered enemy which can also regenerate some health if you ignore it while it's glowing. Pressing one button to solve everything makes me feel dirty.

>faster movement
That's a flat out lie as someone who knows both very well.

What is it about Doom 4 which is so unbelievably worse than Painkiller for you?

Two people who can never agree on anything and all they accomplish is lowering the quality of this board.

>coherent
wHat
I mean, it was fucking great, but what?

Because I have facts and the other person has opinions.

Righting the wrongs sure lowers the quality of posting my retarded friend

>you're punished
You mean you're not rewarded
Fucking idiot.

>can't bunny hop to gain momentum in d44m
>lie

Go play them again.
Overall Doom feels more heavy and clunky. Some weapons like the plasma rifle even have a slight auto aim.

If you don't get any health on nightmare you die so you are punished if you don't use that system.
I know you like to feel badass for pulling off those "sick kill dude" moments but it doesn't change the fact that it's a shit system.

>Where's the weapon limit?
FPS games have featured weapon limits since the 90's. It's not really a "new" or "old" school thing.
>Where's the aim down sights?
DNF had no aim down sights. Is it old school?
>Where's the regenerating health?
They replaced it with health from kills, which ends up being the same shit in another sausage skin.
>Where's the hours worth of unskippable cutscenes?
Most modern FPS games have skippable cutscenes, though.
>Where's the AI controlled soldiers who follow you through the game and never stop talking?
You mean like the AI companions in that old school 1995 FPS game Mortal Coil?
>Where's the 20 minute intro?
Doom 4's first 20 minutes consist of a cutscene, some talking, and then a bunch of boring walking down hallways and shooting at cannon fodder enemies.

wow I guess that makes it exactly like the old games huh?

You get haste with every kill which is far faster than Painkiller at maximum bunny hop speed

>Overall Doom feels more heavy and clunky
Holy fucking shit no. The machinegun in Painkiller is extremely clunky and the rockets and grenades travel at a snail's pace. You also have less alternative fire modes for flexibility and less weapons as well

>Some weapons like the plasma rifle even have a slight auto aim.
On console maybe. In Painkiller the enemies are all so large you can never miss

>faster after every kill
You mean glory kill, which is a shit system by itself.
>more alternative fire mods
The way you combine those alternative mods much more thought out in Painkiller than doom. There isn't anything like the grande+stake combo for example.
>on consoles
Nah even on pc it feels like the mouse sticks to targets a bit.

It is the collective group of features which a game has or doesn't have which position it.

It is very much like the games we had during the early 2000s which starting putting in more alternate fire modes, player progression, giving you more weapons to play with but still sticking to old concepts of health packs, keys to open doors and no ability to aim down a sight unless it was a sniper rifle

I don't even know how you can say how it feels close to the modern mechanics of FPS. It has auto ledge grabbing but even that's been around for a while now.

on the point of health and armour
armour literally acts as a second health bar in Doom rather than reducing damage by a percentage depending on how much you have
there are just too much stupid shit like this in the game

Your logic doesn't make any sense, the absence of a reward is not a punishment and your passive aggressive asides don't help your case.

>enemies are so large you can never miss

Speaking of which, the enemies in D44m fucking blend into the environment sometimes because they have the same color pallet. Quickly identifying enemies is very important in those kind of games and sometime in doom I had to run around in circles for a couple of seconds to even see where I was getting shot at.

>You mean glory kill, which is a shit system by itself.
You get the faster glory kills rune and upgrade it so glory kills take 0.5 seconds and the movement based rune itself lasts like 10 when upgraded

>There isn't anything like the grande+stake combo for example.
Stun with plasma, shoot with rocket. Doom has a bunch of different combinations

everything but the shooting is contextual and plays out in a controlled enviroment
it's stale and boring, a hallmark of modern game design
the weapon limit arguement is moot in Doom's case because aside from the use special weapons, pistol and gauss gun they may as well all be exactly the same hell even the rocket launcher was nerfed into mediocrity

>shot enemy
>it starts glowing
>ignore it and keep shooting at it
>waste time and ammo and get shot by another enemy in that time
>all could've been solved by one button press

There is literally no reason NOT to use it, which is enough punishment by itself.
But fine, keep defending that shit system by anally going into word meanings instead of the actual point.

>Even DOOM's "lol, look at me, I'm a grimdark FPS game that doesn't take itself seriously" thing was lifted from DNF.
that's just a heavy metal thing

the glory kill mechanic works on paper but not in practice and it's even more obvious when playing on nightmare where the game just completely falls apart

You can't be this retarded. You've just reinvented the argument for regenerating health in shooters and used it to try to defend nu-DOOM and it's faux regenerating health system.

That's using different weapons not combining fire mods to make a new attack entirely.

>Duke shot enemies until they became vulnerable to melee takedowns.
This does not belong to DNF, nor is DNF the first game to do this. Not even close.
>Also, DOOM's love of enemies that teleport out of nowhere is a lot like DNF.
Trolling nigga? Teleporting enemies were in DOOM 3.

>the game just completely falls apart
Elaborate. I'm playing on nightmare first time so I can't compare with anything else.

>everything but the shooting is contextual and plays out in a controlled enviroment

What exactly are you talking about?

>go in for glory kill
> invulnerable but have no control over character while animation plays
>get hit and instakilled a millisecond after animation finishes because it gives you no time to react

Not satisfied until the game looks like DOOM 1, are you?

>Have people seriously forgotten that one of Duke Nukem Forever's major game mechanics was shooting enemies until they fell to their knees, and then pressing E to kick them to death?
you mean like how they lifted that mechanic from god of war?

Nu-Doom managed to avoid having regenerating health by using a system which introduces vastly more negative gameplay than the old health kit system, while at the same time effectively making it a game with regenerating health given the constant stream of no-effort health top-ups you receive.

This is the problem, right?

Everyone wants to go back to Doom 1s exact mechanics.

We had a game which was approaching that. It was the Rise of the Triad reboot and goddamn that was a fucking disaster

The new Doom game is absolutely fine. I have no absolutely no clue why this game gets shitposted to death and when people claim they're having more fun with COD's singleplayer you know it's either serious brain damage or shitposting

some people never take of their nostalgia-blinders, so they shit talk good reboots because it's not exactly what they remember

easily goty

Cred Forums is just full of hipsters that want doom 2.5

Dusk comes out next year, though.

Not with all of that freshly-spawned health.

A lot of other people have said this but I think it's important to reiterate that you're a fucking idiot.

Just beat it tonight. I enjoyed. Still have classic maps to unlock. Barely touched snap or multiplayer yet.

You know I don't envy id Software's task. They have to live up to the reputation of their founders some 23 years later and all of their founders have basically abandoned the organization. The game came out, it didn't look good in the trailers to me but I bought it because I bought Doom 1 back in 1994 and have been buying the games since then. I honestly didn't think I was going to enjoy it but I did but a large group of people on this board like to spew hatred and vitriol left and right saying it didn't live up to the classic games etc.

I think it did a remarkable job considering how we've been through so many iterations of the shooter genre over the years and different mechanics are valued by a certain group of players and others are not. The game certainly still has flaws which they could probably iron out in the next game or an expansion similar to Wolfenstein's old blood. I didn't expect them to do as good of a job as they did considering the company is filled with some of the people who still did RAGE but I guess losing John Carmack allowed them to pursue something they thought would be more enjoyable based on what the people who joined the company valued vs. Carmack's 100% technical focus.

And yet this board just shits on it time and again because it doesn't have the specific mechanics it wants it to. Well, what is your solution to this Cred Forums? Just play Doom 1, Quake 1, Serious Sam, Duke Numem 3D, and Painkiller etc. forever? I played those games to death. I want something new and for a modern shooter I think they put in a pretty damn good effort. I can't even imagine how John Romero feels with his Kickstarter project deciding what mechanics to put in and leave out because I'm sure he felt the same way with Daikatana back then as shooters evolved

Rise of the triads reboot had a lot of hitscan enemies, doom (original) has just the 3 zombies, the rest are fireballs plasma or rokets

>those clear influences from Quake and Unreal Tournament

Some maps felt like I just stepped into a deathmatch

My problems with Deum don't stem from it not being like the original, I play plenty of post-2000 shooters along with Doom. My main problem is that every encounter feels exactly the same. You rarely get anything beefier than a Hell Knight when not in a locked combat arena, and the arenas only ever really differ in terms of layout. It's the same "press button on this big red circle, kill stuff" gameplay over and over. Level design was and is one of the most important parts of a shooter, and they halfassed it in the new game for one reason or another.

You fucking moron. Each time you get a pinata of health is when you're about to die. So explain me why the fuck I should use a glory kill if, at the best solution, it brings me back to the beginning at best?
In case you didn't know(and you don't since you clearly haven't played the game), you still gain a shitton of health by doing a normal kill if you're almost dead.
The difference of gain between a glory kill and a normal kill when your health is above 50% is only 5 fucking points. So tell me how it is mandatory to use it, and it never penalizes you.

fun game that ran great when released.
> update released
now it runs like shit.

I know it's cause my rig is showing it's age but this shit always pisses me off

It was fine for me too but when I tried it again recently I got so many crashed to desktop that I just gave up.

I'm just saying that glory kills aren't nearly as risky as you're trying to portray them. When you get the upgrade for faster animations and longer lunge, you can use them even more liberally.

>y-you can't not fellate this game if you've played it
But I have played it to completion.

haven't had anything horrible like that but I get sick of patches making things worse. I'm seriously wondering if I should just say fuck it all and do a full upgrade to 10 and get a new mobo at the same time

this.

you can do glory kills in even the most heavy of combats if you aren't a pleb.

get your twitch on man.

dare I say...git gud?

have you even played Duke nukem forever?

Don't let fucking Cred Forums infect your thoughts. One of the worst things you can do when playing a new game is talking to Cred Forums about it before forming your own opinion.

they play nothing like eachother, other then the fact they are both FPSs

the 2 gun system really fucked up DNF

DOOM actually has AI unlike any COD game, where the exact same soldier will rush to the exact same cover doing exactly the same animation.

>when you get all the upgrades and know in which situation you can use it, it's ezpz
Wew lad. That's some flawless argumentation you've got there, and that's exactly what everyone thinks. But at least you admitted that the glory kills aren't free as you portrayed them.

>I play the game, so now I've got the right to share misinformations ans be a contrarian faggot
That's not really how it works, but you've still the right to be a queer

Cred Forums is retarded and shits on every game. They loved DOOM when it came out, just check the archives.

I paid money for the game, so I'm allowed to not like it as much as I want.

>endless shill threads at launch means Cred Forums likes a game

Painkiller, a lot of the maps are just relatively open spaces that lock you in to fight a couple of dudes, then open another section that locks you in etc

What did you want from a modern Doom game? Minigames and a complex story? Get fucking real.

No one says you're only allowed to like the game. But shitting on it with false claims is a bit pathetic, don't you think, senpai?

>with false claims
But it's not false. Glory Kills are incredibly free to pull off.

If you play on babbymode, or maybe the first 3 hours on UV.

>DNF
>Good Level Design

I have only ever played the game on UV.

there 2 good levels in that whole goddamn game.

recently found the DNF 2013 Mod. shit is fun

I thought DOOM was alright. They did a lot of things well.
However, I have a pretty big gripe with the fact that they made it an arena shooter (walk into big room, kill predictable waves of WAY too few enemies, move on to next arena).
I really miss the claustraphobic elements from the Doom 1 and 2... The coridoor shooting elements are sorely missed, in my opinion. There are no elements of surprise/ambush or puzzles at all in the new game, which was a HUGE part of why the originals were so much fun.

I can agree to this. though I do not miss the "grab a key so you can walk across a empty level to a door that simply holds another key that goes to the door on the OTHER side of the level."
I know this happened a lot in games back in the day but most of then post doom 2 had enemies spawn once you got said key to keep things interesting

Yeah, it's boring to backtrack. But in later levels of the original Dooms, especially 2, the game did exactly what you're describing. Making progress through levels opened up hidden doors that would let out another horde of demons in an area you already cleared. It was a cool way to let the player know that they are back-tracking in the right direction and not just wandering aimlessly... And, yeah. Like you say, keep not-boring.