Is there a point to this?

Is there a point to this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VVV4xeWBIxE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
youtu.be/sflQe6ih3tg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it fun?

I'm hoping I get to survive and do something eventually. Like, Survive and murder every single animal on the map, or tame the wolves and create my own wolf army

Sort of. I've only just started playing and the concept is good but some of the game mechanics seem a bit strange

> Character won't stop bitching about being cold (which by the way is annoying as fuck and I want to turn it off)
> Can't start fires indoors (???)
> Sitting directly next to a fire doesn't make you warm

>Sitting directly next to a fire doesn't make you warm
Now that's a lie and you know about it... or don't, cause you played too short.
And if a reminder once per odd hour of gameplay that you are on a brink of hypothermia (because that's what triggers it) is "bitching"... well lad...

It's cozy in a desolate sort of way.

>lost in the wilderness
>chased by wolves
>find a can of baked beans in a derailed train car
>huddle for warmth in an abandoned hydroelectric power plant

>bitching about cold
Your clothing warmth bonus isn't high enough to negate the temperature outside. AKA your slowly freezing to death.

>Can't start a fire indoors
Considering most of the houses and buildings consist of wood cabins I wonder why?

> Sitting directly next to a fire doesn't make you warm
Not true at all. Chances are you were outside and the fire warmth bonus isn't enough to negate the ambient temp.

The temperatures can be - 55c at times. Even when you have the best clothes in game in can be too cold to go outside.

I started playing but it seems... artificially difficult, for lack of a better term. Like I was exploring a big hydroelectric dam, my character got tired but I couldn't sleep because there were no beds around. In that situation in a real survival sim you would just lie down on the ground and fucking sleep.

>In that situation in a real survival sim you would just lie down on the ground and fucking sleep.
And die out of hypothermia, because you are already half-frozen and sleeping on bare concrete in abandoned, unheated building.

I know not everyone was following the forum and talks with devs, but this is getting tedious after what? Two years? The same shit over and over, even if it was adressed long time ago

Manage your sleep time. Don't go out exploring when you're tired, hungry, thirsty, or too cold.

You have a bedroll, man, use it

I love this game
It has a few problems but overall it's one of the best survival games you can play
Most of them are uninspired stream-bait, this one is difficult, aesthetically pleasing, and well designed

it's fundamentally solid and an interesting experience for sure, so there's a point to it existing.

how to have the most fun in TLD

>select hardest difficulty
>start on top of the mountain
>???
>get cozy

>there are people who play on anything less than the hardest difficulty
Also this game is super nice, maximum comfy

Guess I'll dump screenshots

I love the noise of the wind when you've made it into a cabin during a whiteout.

Yes, its a self insert game for fat neckbeards who believe theyd be superior to all the normies in a post apocalyptic setting.

>stop having fun guys
It's called escapism, man

Superior nothing, you will die FAST in this game.

The sound design in this game is damn good
I'm looking forward to improvements to fire, specifically with making cooking something that you don't have to sit in a menu to do, which is part of their plan
My one problem with fire as it is is that there aren't any primitive firestarting methods like bowdrills and fires don't really leave embers behind
You can restart a fire days afterwards by finding embers in real life
I hope they fix it, because fire is the real limiting factor in the game, once you run out of matches you're pretty much boned

that reminds me, why is the player 2 feet tall?

>The Long Dark

So the creator looked at his wife's bull and came up with the name for his game?

2 feet tall?

>still early access
I'm interested in this, but damn, how long can you take?

Cue shill lies about how the game is totally finished but still in early access just because.

Ebin memes, but honestly the game doesn't feel unfinished
Call me a shill if you want, I'm just telling you my impressions of the game
By all means, wait for it to fully release though if that's your concern

>Game is about barely making it out
>HURRR STOP PLAYING ESCAPISM FANTASY DURRR
The game plays EXACTLY how fat neckbeard would make it in the wild

they're canadian

vision level seems too close to the ground

>Storymode still not out after two years.

Any ETA on it yet?

IS THERE A POINT TO VIDEO GAMES?
IS THERE A POINT TO HOBBIES?
IS THERE A POINT TO LIVING?
NO, FUCK YOU AND GO PLAY SOMETHING NOW YOU AUTISTIC NIGGER.

>Considering most of the houses and buildings consist of wood cabins I wonder why?

This is retarded. Fire isn't some uncontrollable force that spreads in an instant, unless the cabin floor is doused with gasoline and dry carpets you can very easily setup a campfire without burning everything.

I fucking wish all early access was like The Long Dark. The game was playable and functional, now they are just adding locations and FUCKING FINALLY doing the campaign mode. Maybe I will play this game before becoming a grandfather

Doesn't feel that way when you play it
Some of those pictures are taken from the low ground

>Ebin memes
You are literally shilling.

>And die out of hypothermia, because you are already half-frozen and sleeping on bare concrete in abandoned, unheated building.

>find a corner
>huddle up to save warmth
>cover yourself with something

Still better than... doing nothing and dying right there out of tiredness.

Supposedly mid-December. Then never previously gave any solid date, so it sounds convincing

I just wish there was so damn progress not endless translations to Slovakian.

Still no story mode or Ice hermits.

>saying positive things about a game is shilling
Fuck off

How do you get better clothes?

But it's retarded to set up a fire on a floor in a wooden building non the less, you fucking sperg. Go try making bonfire in your room, if you don't believe me...

>find a corner
So now you have not just concrete floor, but also two walls to sip away your body heat
>huddle up to save warmth
Won't do shit, unless you get something under your ass
>cover yourself with something
You don't have anything like that, because you are in abandoned hydro plant. There is nothing to wrap

It's not "better". Is as retarded, if not even more. And hey, why the fuck you are not carrying bedroll, but just wander aimlessly? Oh right, because you will just find a corner to die in

I swear, this user is right

>Play the new difficulty
>Spawn in the middle of the night
>Find a cave
>Can't go outside or freeze to death
>No bed and I can't sleep on the floor
>Die of exhaustion

K

I played it for about an hour and whilst it didn't grab me like Don't Starve did it is a very well designed game I think

Probably the best if not the only pure survival game I've played

Storymode is on the way.

You find most of them. You craft some too, but believe me - you are better off NOT trying to hunt for predators.

Make em, the clothes you make out of hides are always better than the stuff you find around

No, writing off perfectly reasonable complaints is shilling. Most EA games are horrid.

>Make em, the clothes you make out of hides are usually better than the stuff you find around
Here, FTFY

>But it's retarded to set up a fire on a floor in a wooden building non the less, you fucking sperg.
You seem to believe that wooden floors are combustible the same as chopped wood. They're not. If you're careful to set it up in the center without anything flammable nearby you can very well setup a small campfire without bruning the cabin.
Certainly you'll probably damage the floor a little but it won't be WHOOM FIRE EVERYWHERE like you basement dwelling autists seem to believe.

You don't know how combustion works. Or what a bonfire is.

It's a better version of No Mans Sky.

>You don't have anything like that
So you ventured outside naked? 'kay

>most
And I'm telling you that this one isn't
>it's EA so it's automatically shit

I played Shelter 2 and Never Alone in the same night and got a huge hardon to play some snowy games.

I bought The Long Dark in doing so stumbled across another Canadian set Early Access game called Kona, anyone here played it? It looks gorgeous.

>Missing the point this hard
You are setting a fire. In a building. In a roofed space. Without ventilation. You are creating fuckload of fumes because of combustion. You also set it on wooden floor, which is most likely seasoned and chemically preserved wood. Which means even more fumes.
You quickly start to suffocate. Either you leave the building into the open - which means the entire thing was pointless - or you make a hole, so the heat escapes anyway. Or you stay and die out of asphyxiation

It has nothing to do with setting the house on fire, you obnoxious armchair survivalist.

Nope, I didn't say that either. Please follow the flow of conversation.

>Doesn't carry bedroll
>Pretends you can cover yourself with something else when lacking gear specially designed and put in the game to be used
How many years ago you've played the game? Because the bagroll was introduced in one of the first updates, more than 16 months ago.

Please point to a "perfectly reasonable complaint" that you made that I "wrote off"

it's probably more retarded setting up a fire in a closed in space without proper ventilation for it. Have fun sleeping near your warm fire and never waking up.

Which was the coziest place to settle for a while?

For me it's either the Lighthouse or the Hunter's Cabin.
The latter has more functional options, but is located in the middle of a maze like forest.

How does the game run? Ark-tier of unoptimization, or better?

Hunters Cabin 2cozy
Like a dream

>artificial difficulty
Thanks for proving our point.

I can run this shit on ultra with my three generation old processor.

I swear these fucks sacrificed a small animal for this much optimization.

Nice, I'm downloading. is v.365 reasonably recent?

60fps on an EZ bake oven.

nothing will ever be as comfy and as good as don't starve, sorry

>2 years
>still in EA

Winter is the best part of Don't Starve, this game is eternal winter
I like both though

>>Missing the point this hard
I think the only one missing the point is you defense force fags.

Never saw an early access game so well off that it can afford shills.

It dropped about a week or two ago.

I never understood the delusion of you retards
>some people say they like a thing I don't like, they must be paid to do it!

Good shit. Now waiting for the story mode.

if don't starve was eternal winter you'd practically never survive it, you have to have time to prepare for the dead of winter bruh

I was told this game was comfy, but this game has me at edge at the fucking time

>follow train tracks to find shelter
>camp outside of dam for the night because its getting dark and don't want to go in when its dark as shit
>wake up in the night, fire died, freezing
>forced to go inside or die
>get spooked and raped by a wolf in the dark

The game is fun but shit, I'm constant looking over my shoulder at the smallest noises.

Breddy good, thanks

>gets proven wrong
>resorts to namecalling
I know this is bait but theres no point in being a soresport

So long as you keep it small sized and controlled this won't be a problem, it's only dangerous if you're retarded and make some bonfire that reaches the ceiling.
I've already had small fires in rooms with little ventilation and aside of some annoyance at the smell nobody died.

Dude, I played it with my old e7200 without problems, your 3 gens old can suck dick.

You start with a bedroll. Use it.

Agree. At least it gets updated unlike, Kentucky Route Zero.

>proven wrong
When did that happen? All I read was a retard who doesn't even know what a bonfire is.

You can shill without being paid, you know?

What are you supposed to do when it's dark but you've already slept

He said
>Never saw an early access game so well off that it can afford shills.
That implies that he believes that people were paid to shill this game

Sorry, this thread is confusing.

>or you make a hole, so the heat escapes anyway.
This guy never saw a living fire in his whole fucking life.

Hey jackass, if you open a window or something the warmth doesn't suddenly disappear altogether and its still a better option than freezing to death.

>e7200
I haven't heard of this name in atleast two years.

Go for a walk.

That guy* meant for

Work on making clothes if you have materials
Start a fire to boil water or cook food
Read a book to get skills if you have one
Sharpen knives, axes, etc
If you don't have anything else to do, just go back to the bed and you can use it to wait instead of sleep

The point of the game is to make some lazy, uncreative devs an easy buck.

Is this the /out/ thread?
youtube.com/watch?v=VVV4xeWBIxE

Ebin

>If you don't have anything else to do, just go back to the bed and you can use it to wait instead of sleep

Thanks

So what's the longest you survived?

Goddamn son, how did you find enough matches for that?

if you keep yourself a fire the size of a candle being burned, you won't get enough heat to do anything anyways. Granted most places aren't 100% air tight anyways, some old run down wood shacks are bound to be so windy you'd need a decent fire to ever warm it up, or a stove or something to help focus it.

I went exploring and never died until I got bored some 30 hours later.

>47
I broke my headphones a few days prior and wandered into a bears territory.

The game itself is okay, it does a lot of things right but also does a lot of things wrong, the sense of exploration is great, I even made a map, pic related, but then it hinders you like hell so you cant even explore more than 5 minutes without freezing/getting exhausted/starving, it starts out really nice and comfy, and finding a good palce to make your home is a awesome feeling, but after that you kinda lsot the direction, I have my cabin with all my things, I fish or hunt and gather wood and what? exploring is way to dangerous to be worth it, it gets old fast, but its really fun in the meantime.
The game still needs a lot of work and changes imo.

Chopped wood doesn't combust well either unless you use kindling first, especially in the winter.

Craft clothes and go exploring, it'll last you quite a bit longer.

whenever i've played this there has been huge snow storms that don't go away, and if i go outside i just freeze to death, is this normal? i kept failing to start a fire in a cabin. I've tried playing the game a couple of times but i've never lasted longer than a day.

Craft better clothes, then equipment like bow, rabbit traps and move to new areas. You can go from one map to another.

I have a rabbit pelt jacket or something already, game is just too harsh, also it doesnt really give you a reason to go outside.

Honestly the matches aren't a problem because there are so many. Just loot everything you come across and deposit it at pic related.

I have yet to get a bear attack but god damn if wolfs didn't fuck my shit up. Especially early on when they first released this game, wolfs sometimes didn't make noise when they where following you.

They are easy to avoid because they take a bit before charging you and they give you two or three warnings before doing so. Accidently fought back and died instead of playing dead.

For bears that is, forgot to make that clear.

>hasn't been attacked by a bear
You haven't lived the true Revenant experience then

>also it doesnt really give you a reason to go outside.
Except to, you know, find food to not die?
Also staying indoors too much causes cabin fever

You can just go fishing when you run out of food, you go out, but not actually explore something.

You can't sustain yourself forever by just going out to fish, you need other resources too

What happens when you get cabin fever?

I heard some autist survived over 1000 days by using magnifying glasses to start fires, snares to catch rabbits for food, butchering the rabbits with his hands because you don't need to repair anything, and using the guts from the rabbits to make more snares.

Don't even think i'd have the patience for shit like that desu, i'd prefer to just travel to different zones scavenging supplies as i go.

Can't sleep indoors for 2 days
It's basically the opposite of hypothermia

You can't sustain yourself forever with anything in the game last time I checked, resources were finite.

That's when you move to a new area.

Damn I didn't even know you could do that. Thanks for the heads up.

I'v come close. If you stay at the pleasant valley homestead long enough a bear will roam outside your front door. they bring about 60-90 pounds of meat

Technically it's possible, but difficult
It relies on you getting a magnifying glass for infinite fire but that requires that you start fires when it's sunny out and that's not a guarantee on any given day

Take note that I've yet to attempt playing dead. All you do is let go and do nothing when you are attacked by something. I heard about it working but like i've said I haven't attempted it yet.

is this an open world crafting and survival game? Asking so I know whether to skip it.

no

Yea, but it's actually good, unlike most of the other schlock in that genre

Sounds like artificial difficulty. Should've been something like slowly removing penalties for going outside rather than some arbitraty
>lol ok now you can't sleep indoors anymore go out and play

it's either too gamey or not gamey enough
it's in an uncomfortable place

>cast iron wood burning stove
>doesn't heat up the building so much you need to take off your shirt and cool off outside
immersion ruined

It's easy to avoid though, just don't spend all your time inside
Why would you even want to do that, go the fuck outside
Once you make decent clothes the cold isn't even that bad, just wait like 2 hours after sunrise and you're good for a day of exploring

haha survival XD

this is what people say every time a new one comes out. I'll give it a miss, cheers.

Your loss

see you in two weeks when you'll definitely still be playing it.

It's not a new game, I've been playing it for a while

The game has been out for like 2 years

>shoot deer with arrow
>fucks off to god knows where and takes my arrow
>get in a stabbing match with a nearby wolf and take his meat instead

I can barely see the blood trail half the time

Maybe I should just become a professional wolf-stabber

I really like the tracking mechanic, makes hunting feel interesting
Archery is a giant pain in the ass though, I really need to figure out how to get better at it

So has anyone played Unreal World? It and TLD are my two favorite survival games

I bought this in the summer sale, played for 10 minutes then went back to rocket league.

Just upgrading my pc and probably gonna start this up and be ultimate comfy winter game.

Will this look amazing on a 1070 being downsampled to 1080p? Can't remember how extensive the graphics options are

Graphics are pretty simple, runs on a toaster
Looks really nice regardless

>rabbits for food

Can you actually live on rabbits in the game? Because in real lie you'll die of starvation, it has too much protein and basically no fat, I think it also takes more energy to digest it than what it actually provides.

They call it rabbit starvation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

I don't think you could even reliably catch enough rabbits to keep you fed
Deer and fish are your bread and butter, so to speak, after you run out of canned food

It's enough to last until your next big kill, but they give way too little calories for what it takes to hunt and cook them

Who /out/ here?

What are some good songs to listen to while playing this?

youtu.be/sflQe6ih3tg

I just pirated it to try it out since I've wanted to check it out for a while now, it's fucking terrible.
Someone should tell the devs that canadian wilderness doesn't mean ice planet.