What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/CHAW39GXFqQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nothing, I liked it

its like playing dark souls, except underwater

It tried very hard to copy the Dark Souls formula note for note, then accidentally spilled a can of Dragon Age: Inquisition into the mixture.

Runs like shit everytime you go outdoors

People keep calling it a cheap DS knockoff, and in some ways it is, but I like how the movement differs. It really feels as if you are this heavy dude in heavy armor. It's fun and adds to the experience. No more i-frames for easy dodges, you dodge to get out of the way. No dodging THROUGH attacks.
Plus, this game has a lot of armor sets and weapons and so on to collect. Looks beautiful as well. And the bosses had multiple stages and felt suitably epic.

I liked it.

>You dodged to get out of the way. No dodging THROUGH attacks.

I just played it since it was free on PS+. As long as you're a low weight build, you absolutely dodge through attacks.

Fair enough, it's been a while for me. Don't think I ever did low weight, either.
Anyway, I was trying to highlight how dodging felt like dodging. In the Souls series you were constantly trying to maximize your i-frames, time the dodges through the enemy attacks, often dodge through an attack towards your enemy.
In this game dodging feels like jumping out of the way of an attack.

And that's great. You're a big, burly dude. It feels as if your armor weighs half a ton. You're slow. You need to throw yourself out of the way of that huge cleaver, not ninja flip through it in your onion bro armor.

Literally a slower souls. I don't know how they got away with it

> only like four different locations
> hilariously overdesigned armor
> shieldbashing and generally reckless behaviour felt like as if it was encouraged

What went wrong? No one ever talks about this.

the gameplay is certainly not as good as dark souls, but its a solid action game. on console. after patches.

it's an inferior-in-every-way knockoff of another game

just play the other game

Only real problem I had with it was that the difficulty was extremely inconsistent and that even the dev admitted that NG+ wasn't really balanced.

it was too easy

No build variety if you want to actually make it through the game.

The game is actually really short as well.

Boring enemies.

Poor armor design.

Cool idea behind special weapons from bosses but seriously dropped the ball by making them hilariously outclassed by everything else as soon as you get out of the boss room into the next area.

No replay value on account of no customization of characters or successful builds.

>Play it when it went free on PS+
>Average of 15fps

Holy shit.

Denuvo resulted in 10 FPS.

found it very enjoyable until I hit that moveable labyrinth part

I encountered more enemy types in the Dark Souls 3 tutorial area than in 3 levels of Lords of the Fallen.

It was quite enjoyable, even though had few annoying bugs and I missed the online aspect of Souls games. Overall it was nice for two playthroughs.

Haven't tried the DLC. Anyone played it? Is it worth it?

>> hilariously overdesigned armor
it looks like straight out of warhammer

in fact I'm 99% certain game was supposed to have the warhammer IP

that was the best part though git gud

I just hate labyrinths in general

It has some of the worst bosses I have ever seen in a video game.

It is the worst game Ska Studios has made. They tried too hard to appeal to Dark Souls autismos

Slavs tried to beat Nippon at their own game

Maybe next time, Ivan

>Slow shitty boring gameplay
>Literally one playstyle: Big weapon, Big Armor, Big Shield
>Dodging is worthless
>Game veers from soul crushingly difficult to walk in the park
>Backtracking: The game
>Seriously like 3 different areas
>Worthless plot devoid of anything interesting
>Worthless side quests
>The slowest gameplay known to man
>Harkyn is a cahracter! But he's also a blank slate.

Nothing makes sense. Everything is boring. It doesn't even look that good. Overall it actually has horrible production values, especially in the VA and cutscene department.

All the bosses in LoTF have absurd amounts of health and drag on way longer than they should. It also copies the Dark Souls formula way too much, and I was already burned out on the series before this one came out.

>watch gameplay of "The Surge"
>wow this looks clunky, like Lords of the Fallen
>immediately after see that it's the same devs

Well I can see that they haven't learned.

Also all of this

they all look big, bulky, and retarded. part of why dark souls is so good is also because of aesthetics

it wasnt nioh

I had fun playing it.
It was just fairly close to Dark Souls, so everyone already had their fill of that genre recently.

>they all look big, bulky, and retarded. part of why dark souls is so good is also because of aesthetics
they look fine

>The surge

Holy shit, thats a thing.
And its pretty much just a sci fi skin slapped on Lords of the Fallen.

i would've preferred neon cyber 80s souls. i wish i had an image to better represent it

got it for free from PS Plus, is it fun?

its alright. just clunky

how much are they paying you to post these in every thread that has anything to do with daso?

it actually lost the one thing that made me like LotF the most - the warhammer aesthetic

the surge just looks retarded

Circle Strafe
Circle Strafe
Circle Strafe
Hit
Circle Strafe

Clunky as fuck gameplay with a souls style fight system.

Not a good combination.

>Clunky as fuck gameplay
Elaborate instead of regurgitate.

Game was free on Xbone a while ago so I gave it a shot. It sucked so fucking bad I didn't even play up to the first boss and loaded up Dark Souls instead.

Enemy movement just felt swimmy and the game was ugly as hell.

combat was slow and boring
still a decent game overall, it was their first too, iirc

A bit of this.
A bit of shit performance.
A general lack of polish

The problem is that when you have a game with armor tiers per area, is that you end up with a lot of armor sets.
So instead of a few armors thats good, they are contrasted with the more shit sets.

Because there is very few sets in the game thats properly stupidly ornant, like they are Warhammer

It feels like Dark souls except underwater, or suspended in a thick gel. You know, clunky.

But I get the feeling you knew damn well what he was trying to say.

Its one thing that all the animations is slower.
All the roll tiers is like 1 tier heavier than in Dark Souls
Its another issue entirely that some of the later weapons force 2H movesets, even if they have stat requirements you meet.
I.E The hammers.

Another issue is that a lot of the medium-heavy weapons have completely shit 1H movesets, ending in a situation where 1H might as well not exist at all. And they end up doing that for the heaviest weapons, which stumble awkwardly on 1H animations isntead of just working.

Like the best part of the games "heavy" style is that if you wear the Heavy set for the area, you suddenly have good poise and damage reduction.
The problem is that it doesn't translate well against bosses, because you are SUPPOSE to stack magic + armor to tank bosses with trades.

Generic artstyle.

shit looks big bulky, and retardedly edgy. i'm sorry for all the meme-speak. it might be cool for kids and metal fans

people are only willing to forgive rehashing in actual souls games.

>The Surge
>Youtube it
youtu.be/CHAW39GXFqQ
I get the idea, but could you like fucking try to NOT use completely shit animations.
I get the idea of recycling to save money, but a lot of LOTF animations is pretty shit

i only liked the style of the armors a little and graphics
>slow
>rolling doesn't work 99% of the time
>5 different enemies in the whole game? can't remember any other
>girl says to let some retard alive
>kill it (weird a choice in a rpg nowdays)
>dude keeps breathing but she says to leave her alone
my favorite were the invisible walls and cliffs in 90% of the game . while you needed to jump corners to advance on the story

It had some neat ideas going for it like timing attacks to use less stamina or getting special rewards for killing bosses a certain way, but besides all the stuff people have already been saying in the thread i didn't like how there was an objectively best weapon. It was some big sword that did a shitload if damage and did even more with luck runes, the only runes worth using. At least in DS there's usually no "best" weapon and you can at least experiment with a few different things without feeling like you're gimping yourself.

You get plenty of iframes, but its designed so that enemies will combo in manners that can either be light rolled trough, or you need to kite the attack.

So you get stuck in the situation where medium rolls is only good for starting to kite, and is hence sorta useless.
Meanwhile the performance is too shit to play as proper naxed dexfag, even if the combo mechanic is really nice.

It's a Slav development team they can't do animation or gameplay at all. Just look at Witcher.

Witcher has gorgeous animations.
2 even better animations, but worse transitions.
3 is one of the most gorgeous ballerina spinning death games i have... since Jedi Knight.

>A general lack of polish
This shouldn't have been so funny but it is to me.

Became the face of Denuvo. Forever to be cucked.

>Get it for free with PSN
>Keep running into very silly binary moral choices
>Get to the dungeon
>"Hey, help me! I've been locked in this cage with a monster, you've got to let me out!"
>"No, help me! I've been locked in an identical cage with an identical monster, and am an identical looking character! Opening either cage will create enough noise to wake both monsters, killing whoever's cage you didn't open first! We were somehow both locked in here with these identical monsters without waking them."
>"But fighting monsters outside or us explaining this to you is fine, noise-wise. We're both identical, but I'm labeled 'thief' and he's labeled 'merchant,' and we're both claiming the other is a murderer."
>"And there's NO way to open the door quietly, or open both doors fast enough to save us both! Save me!"
>"No, save me!"

I have never seen a more contrived 'moral dilemma' in a game.

this is dead on. or its like one of those weird dreams where your legs feel like they weigh 1,000,000 pounds

Because its funny.
Its a studio which may or may not be partially situated in Germany, so they can whitewash import money

>3 is one of the most gorgeous ballerina spinning death games i have... since Jedi Knight.
The problem is that these beautiful animations are way too long, uninterruptible, and don't integrate well with your previous animation and movement. It looks canned and more importantly feels clunky, which is why combat is one of the major complaints of many people.

2 felt extremely clunky.
In 3 it generally doesn't have that issue. Especially since the dodge pirouette is amazing.

Except for the heavy attack, which lacks the DPS to even compete with the light pirouette spins.

There is build variety.
Like 3 damage investment stats and 2 play styles.

Its just that, beyond that, the item distribution is garbage, the scaling is weird, and there is a lot of samey enemies and recycled enemies.
It simply doesn't end up being that great.

Even something as "amazing" as Twin Brothers is just a steroid version of a shit normal enemy, with a gimmick, and some aoe elemental ttacks.

Nobody really disagrees with you. There is a point where there is a "optimal" weapon for each stat type
Even if the dex weapons is more fun and more shit

>forgot about saving neither
>didn't care to look back after finishing the zone