Wait... Really?

Wait... Really?

>Technology progresses

Who would have guessed

Yep, but good luck playing a PS2 game on an S6.

Why does this surprise you

emulation is a completely different story, but the GTA:SA app for android runs perfect with max settings on my S7

>ignorant normie comparison
"It says more hurtz so it must be better!". No dipshit, there are numerous other factors to consider. For example, that one is an extremely low power mobile chip.

I don't know. Maybe it's because they're so tiny and run on batteries. I didn't realize that phone games had this kind of potential.

If you look at base specs, yeah galaxy s6 destroys ps2.

but PS2 and the Galaxy S6 use two entirely different instruction sets so you can't accurately gauge performance.

And yet modern phones have less battery life than a ps4 controller when playing 3D games.

comparing clocks is stupid but the ps2's ipc aren't worth talking about

processing power =/= potential for amazing phone games

At least emulation is possible now, albeit at 2fps

"""soon"""

So it's not that a phone is "5x the power of a PS2" then. Ok because that was blowing my mind for a minute there.

No, it's not.
The S6 would be way more than 5 times as fast in real world applications.

Real-world performance of mobile hardware is shite.

Plus the 6.2 GFLOPS figure on the PS2 is misleading- it says GPU, when it's really the figure for its SIMD units and FPU put together, all of which could be used for general processing.

It is more powerful, significantly so. But it's not meant to play video games. The fact that something is more powerful does not mean it's suited to a specific task better. A Wii U may be miles ahead than anything NASA had in the apollo era, doesn't mean we can use one to reach the nearest star system.

I don't exactly remember the figures, but IIRC a single phone today is more powerful than all the computing power available combined 20 or so years ago. Doesn't mean jack shit.

The thing you have to remember for phones is that in most cases it's only using a small amount of its potential because phones have to be power efficient.
Ever played a high-end mobile game and then notice the battery drains like crazy? That's why. The hardware is actually being taxed.

Stuff that gets on phones is rarely ever built from the ground up so is nowhere near as optimised as most PS2 games were either.

That being said, if only the games industry was more forward thinking, and had a way to make easy ports of older software, we could have stuff like Shadows of the Colossus on the go right now.

Just think, the source codes to many classic games have not been fully digitised and backed up could be rotting away on some old CD or Floppy or possibly even data tape somewhere in storage.

Yeah but it doesn't mean shit.

Nobody has solved heat dissipation or battery drain yet.
There's a reason why there's a big vent in your PC and it comes with a power brick.

Power storage technology is so fucking outdated it hurts. When's the next big revolution ?

Specs aren't everything optimization is huge.

On paper most android phones blow iphones out of the water, but when it comes to actual performance, iphones are leagues ahead of android phones still.

Android is too bloated and shitty still to contend.

SONYFAGS BLOWN THE FUCK OUT

Companies are investing billions at this moment but look at Samsung's S7. Battery technology is tricky.

I don't know if this is bait or not but you have to be completely out of touch with reality if you think smartphones are still 0.3 GHz single-core or something similar to give that impression. I mean how difficult is it to figure it out if it's obvious phones are shooting 4K 60fps videos out of the box?

But you can emulate the n64

And Vulkan meme api is infact a massive boost for mobile gaming

Phones are starting to eclipse the original PS4 and Xbox One so not surprising.

S7 edge owner here
Battery lasts for 4 days if I'm not doing too much shit on it, 2 days if I use it a lot

Theoretically.

But nobody harnesses that potential.

Power is relative.

In case of games, everything can be boil down to optimization, phones aren't optimized to run stuff like games. And the OS is a fucking mess to boot.

I wish android would completely drop Java, I'm convinced phones would be 5 times faster if they were properly set up

>I wish android would completely drop Java
Not happening. Never. Ever.
Java is the most common, cheap, open source bridge between code and hardware virtualization. Everything runs java. Even (literal) toasters and washing machines.
Phones where shit when they ran propetary software and implemented J2ME for vidyas. Now at least we have proper resource management.

More or less. but as user said.

Shit is a lot better, A proper developed OS for Phones could do wonders for everyone.

At least rooting and installing some other version of android kinda fix some stuff.

Can't realy compare, like some other people were saying they use very different processors plus a mobile devices don't run at full power like a console would.

You can't even compare FLOPS directly between Intel, AMD, and Nvidia GPUs if you're trying to gauge performance.

More importantly, there's a bajillion Poojeets who will write Java for literal pennies.

You're comparing a MIPS architecture against a full RISC architecture. This isn't exactly apples to oranges.

Everything in your phone isn't done through java, and plenty of the things you use are shipped in binaries, and has been for a few years now.

And phones have billions and millions of variations on hardware.

Consoles have a single one for the entire generation... At least now.

Yeah, but java is pretty much the base of the OS and the user was saying he hoped Android would ditch java completely

>ARM
>Java based OS
>Mobile gaming

Woaowowowoaw

The hell is a dam phone gonna us 3 GB of ram for?

Background applications and in-game textures.

>playstation 2 was garbage

What a surprise

Saying the OS is 'based in java' is pretty misleading, and the only reason people think it's an issue is because they know some meme that 'java is slow' because minecraft or some equally dumb reason.

wow a 16 year old console is slower than a modern smart phone
really compels one to ponder

These are in-game shots from a modern phone game.

Achtually, Linux.

At least for android phones.

The AA is really nice but is it needed on a device that probably has super good PPI?

>tfw my Galaxy Note 4 idles at 2.7
Just stay very still while the NSA scans all the pictures I've taken and downloads my movement records.

Isn't the kernel written entirely in C?

Java is really fucking good though.

>only 5x the power of a PS2

Do they realize they're only making their phone look weak?

Is that the final fantasy game on the play store?

And another. Pretty impressive. All the bells and whistles of a next gen system. Even has global illumination.

Just an iphone/ipad game.

>20 year old tech is not as good as current tech

Shocking

Reminder that the PS2 was the weakest of the 6th gen
Even weaker than a fucking Dreamcast in some places.

PS2 didn't deserve it's victory. It only won by being a cheap dvd player and riding the success of the PS1

I wouldn't expect people saying java is the base of android to know what a kernel is.

>Saying the OS is 'based in java' is pretty misleading
Alright, let's get technical here.
The whole system UI is written in java. That's literally a third/a half of the OS based in java. The main problem with the phones is the optimization. The kernel is linux, which instantly translates into driver problems.
Having in mind the variety of hardware currently in the market, and adding the fact that the kernel has to mantain the java vm running all the time so the user can have the UI, you can already know why most of the apps on android run like garbage.

Also we gotta have in mind that most of the mobile game engines compress textures in software mode, so most of the times, even having better hardware, the games don't run that good because they use next to none of the gpu.
Also, power problems.
Also, ARM processors.

there's actually gamecube and ps2 emulators being worked on for android.
However I wouldn't bet on them being playable in the slightest for at least 6 years

There's a bunch but that one is FF Mobius.

>The AA is really nice
Consoleplebs really are disgusting.

too bad you can never see the detail on a 3x5 inch screen

>can't play them without a controller which is bigger than the phone

you might as well just use a computer at that point

And gameplay is shallow as a brick, what is the point?

Phonefags pop the phone to kill some time and do something after. Also shit like that kills the battery damn fast.

Blizzard doesn't even have Vanilla WoWs world server code anymore. It's lost forever to data rot.

is that pubies? i want that haircut

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with mobile gaming if there was more stuff like this.
Sadly because every kid out there can access Java we get 5000+ flappy bird and angry bird clones

Ive had it installed for a while now, is it any good?

Where do you get the idea that linux has driver issues? Or even that something being java is inherently bad?

My year old phone has an eight core processor and 4GB of DDR4. When is Sony or Nintendo going to make a recent handheld with hardware even close?

We're slowly getting there. How about you concolecuck/Pcuck? Last I heard ps2 is still shitty on PC

It's a thing to kill time and the story is kinda fun, but the gameplay is awful. As mobile game as it gets. But i wouldn't really call it good

I never said that something being java is inherently bad

I have that haircut, will take a few months.

Considering that I can play SA2 on my phone, I'd say thats accurate.

It is, though, remember that java runs within a virtual environment, thus, you get half the performance out of applications programmed in java.

it will forever be shitty to emulate ps2 because every fucking game had some weird shit in it that needs to be addressed. the system was shitty in itself to make matters worse

at least with the xbox its due to weird fucking hardware that WASNT underpowered, and nobody wants to fucking work on an emulator because its such a pain in the ass.

Neither did I say no part of android was in java.

Pls no bully PS2

Dreamcast is still great though, I found a black sega sports version last month at a yard sale for 15 bucks.

That's completely untrue. VMs have been incredibly powerful and agile for quite a while.

>that terrible emulation speed

I love how this thread instantly turned into pcucks bitching how shit phones are compared to pc.

They fail to fucking relize that this device is fucking 1000 times smaller then their rbg led /r/pcmasterrace computer.

i will bully the ps2 for being the most sickening system to date.

i may be a sonygger, but i know shit when i see it. when you have the same fucking game on a system at a later date that gets BTFO by the dreamcast version, youre REALLY on some shitty hardware.

Must be a fun 15 minutes until the battery runs out

True, but the games user, think of the games.

>comparing the 2nd weakest 6th gen console to a modern phone

That's not fair. Why not compare the modern phone to at least the PS3.

Most PS2 games ran at sub 480p.

Some even worse, shit barely had shaders, and was a bitch to work.

GC only got killed because disk space and Xbox because... It was a Xbox.

>butthurt nintendofag

PS2 and PC are literally the king & queen of vidya

best library of all time
great controller, great hardware

Yes, a phone released 12 years after a game console is significantly more powerful.

Woah...

So this... is the power... of the Samsung Galaxy S6.

read the title ps4cuck, this is only in 6 months.

Some people still have tablets. Myself included. I plan to get FFXI the day it releases.

>ultra specs
>costs hundreds
>a device that literally only serves to browse the internet, use shitty apps and play shitty games

there is literally 0 point in getting a latest gen phone, you gain nothing from the upgraded specs

Not having a proper means of input though is a killer. Would you really play a game like that is you had to put your hand all over the monitor?

and i am thinking of the games
when you have an "inferior" system running and playing games better than your "advanced and modern" system, it only shows how shit it is.

video output has always been muddy on the ps2, with varied degrees based on model at that. the shitty lens, the cpu and gpu were even shitty. the network shit was also a fucking disaster when you realize the dreamcast had a BBA accessory AND A BUILT IN MODEM when they ps2 had fuckin none of that shit built in. Xbox did, gamecube didnt but didnt try and push a harddrive with it.

The gamecube managed to perform many games better. In fact, a lot of games that were multiplat were HELD BACK due to the lack of power on the ps2. when that single system managed to fuck the development of other platforms, then theres a fucking problem

>nintendo
>implying i give a fuck for their shit
only good game is wind waker. nintendo hasnt had me as a customer before windwaker or after wind waker. i dont even bother emulating those systems because none of the games hold an interest

PS1 Dreamcast and PC are all i need

>A Wii U may be miles ahead than anything NASA had in the apollo era, doesn't mean we can use one to reach the nearest star system.
Actually you could, the Wii U might not be designed to do that sort of task but it is almost certainly powerful enough to do those sorts of calculations.
>I don't exactly remember the figures, but IIRC a single phone today is more powerful than all the computing power available combined 20 or so years ago.
Once again you seem to be grossly underestimating the power of computers, a single phone might be more powerful than all the computing power in the world 40 years ago or 30 years ago but not 20 years ago.

Play! has been in development for >10 years.

shit user it's as if people didn't already find a solution for that!

Stop moving the goalposts

>tfw ps2 still has the greatest library of all time
>tfw runs at 60fps which is higher than consoles achieve today
>tfw backwards compatible with ps1 games
literally the best system that was or ever will be in the history of vidya

Actually, I'm now realizing that the PS Vita was very "cell phone-ish" and the NX is looking like it's just another cell phone type deal again too.

Still not sure why this is so surprising.

Phone specs are not the same as console specs, just like PC specs aren't the same as console specs.

You can look at a pic like that and say "wow those are some killer specs!", but the truth is mobile gets hamstrung by being so fucking small and running on a battery.

Everything you just said is wrong. Why did you just say that, user?

that library is HELD BACK due to shitty hardware
because sony cut so many costs and used shitty hardware your "amazing" library could have been much more

the entirety of the 6th gen systems could have been better if the PS2 hadnt been fucking made with shitty hardware.

the cpu is an ARM Cotrex A9
the vita is a powerful little fucker

Just think about it...

>far enough into the future phones will be powerful enough to play this years games with no stutter or lagging issues

Too bad we were born just at the start of it all

>the vita is a powerful little fucker
Not really, it's downclocked to 333MHz by default and only goes up to 444MHz. In terms of single threaded performance, a New 3DS beats it out.

But it's not though?

Tell me how battery and memory limits don't puts a straight bullet in the foot of phone hardware.

>Too bad we were born
FTFY

the overclocking of the cou and gpu are only limited in a way that doesnt break functionality with henkaku and normal usage.
we can overclock it more and really get some good power from it but you risk losing some features due to it.

>borderlands 2 is now at 60fps after the overclocking

So what's a good android game

name 1 (one)

No, it's not, it's just that the advancement of microprocessors outstrips the growth of every other technology it makes everything else seem slow.

I think you mean to refer to "fragmentation". You have two groups. One group is composed of many, many high tech devices. The other is composed of one or a few medium tech devices. The high tech devices find themselves not performing as well as the other devices because there's too many of them to optimize for. All those high tech Android devices are great but no one wants to optimize for several dozen different hardware specs. This is why Apple does so well with "inferior" specs. Same with consoles.

Not the guy you're replying to but the Vita is indeed quite powerful for a handheld system. It's even capable of runnning fighting games like UMVC3 and DoA 5 at 60fps.

That's a bad example to show for PS2 emulation.
Considering Reicast can run that game pretty much full speed now.

PS2 is a real bugger to emulate because it's a real hack job of a machine with complicated relations between it's hardware and it meant that developers had to do some weird tricks to get their particular software running the way they liked to.

Imagine if a large part of your library was semi-rogue leader complicated to emulate then that's what the PS2 is like.

Tbh if someone could reverse engineer how the Xbox hardware runs or finds some good documentation on it, you could probably get a full functioning Xbox emulator BEFORE PS2 one was considered 100%.

The 360 didn't even have the same architecture (power pc vs x86), yet Microsoft managed to get quite a few games running decently on there pretty quickly.

Of course, when you have a standardized hardware you can work closer to the Metal, this is the big advantage of iphones and consoles like you said.

But I was also referring to the limits filesizes and battery use bring, yeah sure you can "technically" make a game that fills the entire phone and drains the battery in 10 minutes, but who in their right mind would?

Look up the Adreno 530, it's a mobile gpu with the snapdragon 821 chipset that's over twice as powerful as a ps360
And the powervr gt7900 reaches about 65% of the power of an xbone

I'd rather not play period than use those pos controller attachments that can easily slip off.

Good thing that this exists

Funny you mention the filesizes. We have PC and console games being shipped at 80-120GB these days. Looking forward to the day that mobile devs get lazy about it when phones start getting big internal storage too.
>flappy bird UHD edition
>it's uh... UHD
>3GB

>Tfw I play MvsC 2 on this thing a ton.

>bat tits on the go

hearthstone is already about 2 or more GB if I remember correctly

Realistically nobody is carrying that around unless they have a backpack or a purse.

Still won't play games on it but my phone is a Sony phone and has native Dualshock 3&4 support which is pretty nice

I love my gpd xd and use it almost daily. Hell, I use it more than my smart phone.

>plug in ds4 to phone
>emulation machine on the go
and if I need to play PS2, I just play on my fucking PS2, the hell is wrong with you all? No excuse. We now know the "lasers burn out if you use the wrong DVDs" meme is in fact, a false, incorrect lie perpetuated by plants in the fucking homebrew community.

All it takes is some rubbing alcohol and a qtip to restore your laser to it's fucking day 1, factory settings glory.

ps2 controllers are another story, god damn they're in bad shape, worse than n64 controllers.

That's due to Blizzard not wanting to make different versions of the game or you can blame Apple/Google, I forgot which, that wants all languages in 1 package if they want to publish it in multiple regions. It also doesn't remove the update package when it's done installing so now you're wasting even more storage.

So now the client isn't only just bloated by Unity, but also has a dozen translations you'll never use. Hearthstone is like an 800mb game where like 80% of the game is card art.

The problem is the ps2's architecture is antiquated garbage, the S6 runs much more efficiently.

the wrong kid died

>been playing with the dreamcast more than 360, ps3, ps4, xbox, vita, and even pc as of late
>gamecube and wii packed away
Sega did good lads. they knew what to do, but the world wanted less fun and more rehashes and interactive movies

Maybe there's an alternate universe where Sega won. That place must be awesome.

>I wish android would completely drop Java
That would just be making a new OS instead of Android.

>no microsoft starting the xbox project or having such a crushing loss that they end up in 4th
>xbox is killed and halo moves to mac or a PC title only
>ps3 and sega's next system are the next consoles, + wii
>unless sega pulls a massive win out of their ass the wii would crush the other 2 so bad that gaming would be a dead medium come gen 8
nice.

by which I mean not nice at all.

We live in a terrible timeline friend, but it's still better than the alternative you propose.

kek

I can emulate that game in 3 different formats

Arcade
Dreamcast
PS2

LOL

christ, that's some hideous design

>this would mean MS wouldnt have entered the business
>this would mean that Sony and Nintendo would have followed through on the snesCD instead of philips
>it would be Sega/MS vs Sony/Nintendo (and PC)
>this is a world where you could get JSRF on PC without bullshit
>a world where fun is still present in games
>a world where different systems mattered still
>there wouldnt be 3
>there would be 2 (and PC)

the world where sega won where nintendo gets fucked by sony is a world i want to see. we almost had it, but nintendo couldnt stand losing to another company

>Most shovelware
>Most gimmicks
>Worst ports

PS2 is truly overhyped. Only FF fags think its the best

PSVR costs $400 extra. A decent phone VR headset is under $30. It's not quite as good, but all we want it for is porn, anyways.

But I tried to be PSTripple great, pa!

You're making all these assumptions. The ones about Microsoft are utterly baseless, especially considering that the DC was powered by Windows CE.

There's no telling what else would be different in that timeline. Hell, you might have even married a billionaire sex addict with huge cans. Don't knock the Sega universe.

>xbox is killed and halo moves to mac or a PC title only

and this is a bad thing how?

Code in the loo. They can't write for shit.

>I might have even
no, I wouldn't. I'd have killed myself.

The dreamcast was discontinued before the xbox showed up. If it had shown proper force and gotten support circa 99 and 2000, the xbox would have been shut down as a project before it even got off the ground because they entered the market knowing they were weak but expecting to play on an even field with the PS2 given the DVD player on the system and aim to market as a more "mature" system.

If the dreamcast succeeded, the ONLY reason anyone would have a PS2 would be the DVD player, this is straight up fact. It's the reason it had such a huge install base to begin with, and that's fact too. They had a large retention rate because "hey we already have a PS2 to watch movies, might as well play games on it too so little timmy can have fun".

Xbox was 2 years late to the launch party, and was banking on the success of halo and being able to sell hardware and their "mature lineup". To just clarify my statement, they entered the market, entirely aware they wouldn't win gen 6. It was an entry to establish a brand, and start IPs and bring PC IPs to the console market to regain consumers from PS2.

So, given that, it would mean either partnership WITH sega to keep users away from PS2 (lol no), or redoubling efforts on marketing for PC gaming, which would have a variety of unforeseen consequences like fucking up steam worse than it already did to itself with HL2. To a point where if microsoft released a platform like steam before steam did, steam may have never even existed which is such a massive change in the timeline I don't even want to think about it.

basically educate yourself, the xbox was made in direct response to ps2, they wouldn't enter the market if dreamcast was winning, or it was a more even split between dreamcast and ps2.

oh also the fact DC was powered by windows CE means nothing. the dreamcast team was also begging microsoft to have dreamcast games be compatible with xbox after the DC failed. But in another timeline, that wouldn't have happened because bill gates would have shut that shit down because he couldn't compete with sega AND sony.

Are you really surprised that a sixteen year old console isn't as powerful as a modern flagship smartphone?

>People who were two when the PS2 came out are old enough to post on Cred Forums

If it's a massive boost how is it a meme?

Meme != falsehood

Vulkan is the only thing that will level the playground. Current apis are archaic

Actually theyve said the ps2 was more powerful than apollo

Okay, what does meme then mean in this context?

And you are completely missing that user's point. Being "powerful" enough to do calculations does not mean it is actually capable of doing them, without having to rebuild so much of it it arguably would not even be the same machine.

Mobile phones on paper rival low-cost PCs. In reality mobile phones cannot even run applications as efficiently and quickly as 10 year old PCs.

How long did it take you to get yours? I ordered mine over 2 weeks ago

You do realize 3ds resolution and dpi is worse than 3rd gen cell phones

I hate the fact that the Vita can handle PS2 games but Sony refuses to let it play PS2 games

At the end of the day it's up to the publishers to port the games.

>TFW we won't even get FFXII ported to it

Well, yeah. Advances mean smaller processing and circuitry not to mention different materials.

A clear choke point for tech is that despite circuitry getting smaller electrons themselves stay the same size, which means standard gold inlays are becoming to big for microprocessors to shrink anymore.

Which comes to another point, more elements are used in technology now than before, which is a whole nother area.

It can't though. All of the PS2 collections played like cold ass on the vita.

I'd much rather see psnow get a fuckhuge amount of PS2 games on it, then throw ps now on vita, cause it used to be on there and I can't fathom why they took it off.

This bullshit with ps2 on ps4 requiring upscaling and trophies is dumb as fuck and prevents tons of companies from just throwing these perfectly functional games that were on the PS3 on there. But just using the same PS3 farms for ps2 emulation would work fine.

This is pretty much why people are saying handhelds are going to be a thing of the past.

I would like to point out that the PS2 is a shitty console to begin with.

>without having to rebuild so much of it it arguably would not even be the same machine.
Wouldn't that just be an OS deal?

Yes, PS2 was really weak and a mid end smartphone of course would be more powerful than it.

ARM emulation is shit in general.

Yeah, we could but nobody is going to learn fucking assembly to replace it.

Well Wii/Gamecube can be perfected on anything with time because how good documentation exists of the consoles.

Its just a matter to giving time and effort to it, even in ARM where everything is shit because >ARM emulation.

They played like shit because they were downgraded versions of the PS3 ports, Sly played good compared to Jak because they got their shit together for thay one

Thats dreamcast emulation user

It is powerful, but if we overclocked it to its fully potential battery wouldnt be able to power it and if it did the console would literally melt.

In an apples to apples comparison, the PS2 might not be the best of its generation, but you people are forgetting one important fact. In an era where we bemoan price-gouging DLCs and Season Passes for incomplete buggy games, PS2 was the people's console, hammer-and-sickle style.

All those PS1 games? Each one of them ran fine on it. Your PS1 hardware, too. Upgrade on your terms, not the company's. All of your CDs and DVDs would run on it. 5.1 audio? You got it. The Xbone tried and failed to do what the PS2 had accomplished for its time, years ago--be the first and last stop for all home media needs.

Online gameplay? Sure, it was a separate peripheral, but in the days where broadband was still a luxury for many people, it meant you didn't have to pay for something you didn't want. And online gaming? No subscriptions, no additional login or CC info required. You plug in, configure, and play.

Want to run Linux on it? There was an official kit released by Sony itself, to do just that! Your game has mouse support? Don't need a proprietary mouse, any old USB mouse will do.

That console was fucking visionary, without forcing unnecessary bullshit down the consumer's throat. It pioneered much of what we take for granted today. Examining out of its context does it a great disservice. It's no accident that it's still the best-selling console in history. Even after console manufacture ceased, developers were STILL releasing games for it.

Sure, it's not perfect. But it hearkens back to a golden era, where you could buy a game and still call it yours. I'd give up PC gaming to go back to those days again.

which is why vita and 3ds are shit and why NX needs to have 1080p screen or it's shit

There is a good amount of documentation of it too so im still not surprised.

PS2 is the only console with shit documentation because everyone who worked on the console never shared anything and worked for themselves.
This is one of the main reasons we have shitty PS2 emulation(And homebrew) on everything, but i guess this is irrelevant.

Why does ppsspp suck so badly on android?

Because
>ARM

Use retroarch and PPSSPP core.

>Battery technology is tricky.

But it had nothing to do with the battery technology, it was the assembly.

The cells were perfectly fine, the company which assembles the cells into battery packs fucked up the controller circuit.

All that tech and all smartpones have is Candy Crush and Angry Birds, while PS2 has classics such as Metal Gear Solid 3, ICO, SotC, GTA: SA, etc.

>Because
>>ARM

What do you mean by this, what chipset is better then?

>comparing 16 year old tech to 1 year old tech
The PSP was pretty close to the PS2's specs and that thing came out in 2004.

so if I get this right, their phone hardware is so shit that they need to compare it to 16 years old hardware to make it look good?

Its just that ARM is not powerful enough for emulation, also most emulators are just ports of the x86 versions.

If someone took time to rewrite the recourse intensive ones they would work just fine.

Android apps are compiled to native binaries when you install them. They run extremely efficiently.

It's a comparison to show what progress has been made, not in a 'wtf i hate ps2 now' kind of way.

>chipset
arm isn't a chipset is a architecture

and x86 > ARM all day everyday

ARM is a weak arch, made to be inexpensive and power friendly

CPU Clock is there for completeness only. The real comparison is at the GFlops and RAM.

The client side still exists on hundreds of websites, and server emulation has been done plenty of times, with Nostalrius doing a damn fine job.

Don't underestimate chink hackers.

they have the code, what they don't have is many of the old assets (like textures and animations etc), and that is a HUGE problem.

It had the best games of the gen though. Great exclusives + all multiplats.

Consoles -> PC as time passes
Handhelds -> Smartphones -> PC as time passes

What mobile games do you guys play? I'm loving this game and having fun with it.

They don't have any old CDs lying around?

Someone please explain this to me.
>my PS3 from 2005 runs games at 30FPS with only 256MB RAM and 256MB VRAM
>my PC from 2013 struggles to run those same exact games at 30FPS with 8GB RAM and 2GB VRAM
WHY IS THIS ALLOWED?

Compiled code != Uncompiled code

I don't know but it's always been that way.

Even modern games will look and run better on a PS4/XB1 than they will on a PC with marginally higher specs.

>ps3
>2005

>walking around/exploration is literally replaced by a cutscene of your character walking

Mobile gaming is the worst thing that ever happened.

RAM is a measure of space, not performance

I meant 2006, but
>the PS3 was designed and released in less than a year
Come on. It's 2005 hardware.

What? Are you talking about when you click on the levels?

That usually depends on what games you're playing. Some are poorly ported to PC.

Because console versions of games are rigged and tweaked to work a certain way specifically on that machine and its hardware.

PC versions are simply made one way to work on an infinite number of variations of hardware.

Wrong. The problem is the OS.

Different architecture for starters.

In order to run those games you have to recreate the console.
This means literally everything in how it works and handles things, this is called emulation.

You have to emulate the CPU, the GPU, and other hardware trough your computer.
And this is somewhat recourse intensive.
You dont know how? you hack it, create speedhacks and stuff.

This is why a console documentation is important.
This is the reason Gamecube and Wii have really good emulation, the Wii got totally hacked and there is detail about everything about how it works, literally everything.

>Ports
Sorry i thought you meant emulation.

That one is easy, lazy devs that just expect games to run and not run well.
0 optimization at all, just ports.

Then why the fuck are there no emulators for android?

No, it's not. Retard.

15 years old

There are you idiot.

And you never once paid for DLC

>So why am I getting worse performance with more space

dude space is just it space, now you are saying that your CPU is "better", and still not a single word about GPU

doesn't matter if you have a square mile of space to fill with crops for example if you have a single anemic worker to do the job

and then optimizations, while PC games are coded against generic APIs (DirectX, OpenGL) most console games are way closer to bare metal (akin DirectX12, Vulkan, Metal)

Retroarch.

People trying to jew emulators.
Shit ports and nobody likes ARM.
ARM CPUs are weak in general.

>borderlands 2 is now at 60fps after the overclocking

the only way you can get near 60 fps is when you stare at a wall. everything else is 20-30

The hardware may be bad but only PC tops its godtier titles.

Not to mention the "PS2 sold because it played DVDs" meme only holds on the US. In most third world countries it sold because piracy was VERY easy to achieve with a modchip. In most parts of Iberian europe this is true, too.

What? I thought we were talking about assets, you faggot.

i wouldn't call it "VERY easy" since it needed a modchip and all
i would call Wii or even PSP as very easy

but yeah, it got pretty common

FF Tactics did the same thing and this was long before mobile gaming. So did Ogre Battle.

with overclocking its still 60.
have you not done it yet?

nobody cares you faggot , stop being a knowitall

> amazing phone games

come on now, mah nigguh

Jokes on you, I already have all the PS2 GTAs on my phone.

Probably more like a solid 40 minutes until your phone is ready to cook an egg and warm your house.

How to remove the clover from passfags?
So far i only can filter their comments.

Type "nonoko" into the options field then make your post.

Considering most stores in 3rd world countries sold pre chipped PS2, I'd say it was very easy at least for common folks.
Hell, the market for burned DVD games was HUGE in Brazil ~15 years ago. Even today people still sell burned 360 games