Video games 1998: "Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary...

>Video games 1998: "Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant."
>Video games 2016: "My derrière is not worthy."
Where did it all go so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

alphacentauriredux.com/
pcgamer.com/alpha-centauri-mod-gives-the-sci-fi-classic-a-modern-ui/
youtube.com/watch?v=ro_9MsD0SPg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

To be fair SMAC is probably one of very, very few 4X game that had so much attention and thought put into world building itself. So many of these games feel like they got interns to write all the text just because they need something to those windows with and don't really expect anyone to read it.

>Resources exist to be consumed, and consumed they will be, if not by our generation than by the next

>The substructure of the universe regresses infinitely towards smaller and smaller components. Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons quarks. Each layer unraveled reveals new secrets, but also new mysteries.

SMAC was great and highly educational

Dominions is better

>dat feel when days when learning from video games even when they obviously were educational titles are long gone

AoE2 campaigns got me interested in history.

>>Resources exist to be consumed, and consumed they will be, if not by our generation than by the next
He is absolutely correct. We should use it all now.

in what sense?

>SMAC thread

Might as well post this

alphacentauriredux.com/

Can we agree that there is literally nothing wrong with genejacks?

In the end, they'll evolve into disfigured unkillable mess without self-conscience.

>Disclaimer: This is a visual design project, not a modification to the base game.

I don't know why it says that when it is literally a mod

pcgamer.com/alpha-centauri-mod-gives-the-sci-fi-classic-a-modern-ui/

Its not a mod. Just him testing his effects on screenshots.

>release soon
>November 27, 2015
PCGamer can't read. PCGamer is dumb.

>genejack

Tyranny!

Yeah it says in his blog he finished the project but I can't find any sort of download for it. I guess it was a personal project. Too bad

It's not for the game.

It's just him designing a UI and shopping it in.

Someone else would have done that for the game ages ago if it was possible. But the game isn't easy to mod.

youtube.com/watch?v=ro_9MsD0SPg

Tyranny, you say? How can you tyrannize someone who cannot
feel pain?

And?
You see that it isn't the actual game.

But it was at least somewhat functional, not just shooped images

We arnt destroying the elements that are found on Earth. We cant use up the water or the air or anything. We can only change how they are dispersed in nature. Stop being such a tree hugging faggot.

If we destroyed the Earth with nukes tomorrow it would be lush and green and teeming with life again in a few hundred million years and stay that way for billions more.

It is functional in that sense that it looks believable.

But like i said. This is not an actual mod. This is just him making his own interface and combining old visuals with new ones. It is not in the games engine. Because you cannot modify it that way.

If he would release his files all you would get is a number of images and animations. Nothing that you could inject into anything.

I wasn't being sarcastic

Was Civilization: After Earth the SMAC 2.0 that we wanted or was it shit?

Okay well then I dont hate you.

Garbage.

It's absolute shit.

Just a reskin of Civ 5.

Played it for about 10 mins, dropped it and went back to SMAC. I could just tell.

It was remarkably terrible. Desu, I've never played a more soulless and creatively barren game.

Beyond Earth was shit.

It is how a fool would have made a new SMAC game.

>SMAC was all about lore and ideology
>had unique mechanics that CIV did not have

Beyond Earth is not-Russia fighting Not-India and Not-Spain on some random rock with everyone being the same.

And gameplaywise its just a shittier CIV V - And CIV V was already pretty bland before it got two DLC that made it bearable.

Endless Legend is the closest thing to Alpha Centauri we have. Too bad it's still light years behind in terms of gameplay. One of these days the devs will get it right, though. They just have to, even if by accident.

To think I almost bought it

How did Firaxis shit the bed this hard?

>Brian Reynolds is now designing casual social games

Just end my life senpai

>Now owned by Sega
They are the dead.

Playing SMAC on higher difficulties always felt like I was being swarmed with zombies. Eventually I would get huge, all the enemy factions would unite in hatred of my success and I would just be fending off streams of unlimited lower tech enemy units. I couldnt be bothered conquering them because I liked playing on big maps.

Is there anything that can be done to prevent this happening?

Not really.
SEGA does not mean downgrade these days.

At worst you'll need to pay for shitload of DLC now.

>How did Firaxis shit the bed this hard?

All they have to do to make money is to milk the brands. They have zero incentive to be creative.

Oh jesus fucking christ. Hadn't heard the news yet. I guess Endless: Total War could be neat if they actually give a fuck and Sega allows it.

Gay priest has arrived

Drones riot

>Behind atoms we find electrons, and behind electrons quarks
Electrons are not made of quarks.

The quote stuck with me, and there is nothing wrong with it. It would solve many ethical issues, like meat growth and consumption. You can't tyrannize something that is incapable of suffering. Automate work, more robots, genetically modify animals to become meat sack plants.

Go play some vidya, Yang.

It is much more simpler to just grow meat and research robotics than following your shit ideas Yang.

How much are you involving yourself in diplomacy? Talking to people instead of waiting for them to talk to you? Are you manipulating any factions against each other, bribing people?

>Where did it all go so wrong?

Here's the first piece of the puzzle.

OY VEY, DELET THIS

Are you sure they're not seperated by a comma, as in "electrons, quarks"? Still misses out all the other leptons but still.

Pandora deserves an honourable mention.

>Endless: Total War
That would be glorious!

The unit customization is so good in this. You can make cheap kamikaze planes, deep strike forces, heavy line holders, siege and assault troops, mobile hit and run units. And it's all by production, so it makes sense in setting, where only the most highly developed cities can viably produce the most advanced tech and frontier cities have to rely on lighter units. Civ is so dumbed down in comparison just for not having this.

Customization is so dumbed down in comparison just for not having this.
We arnt destroying the elements that way for billions more.
Remember when Black Lives Mattered? I dont.se up the water units. And it's all by produce the most advanced tech and frontier cities can viably production, so dumbed down in comparison just for not having the elements that are found on Earth with life again in a few hundred million is so dumbed down in comparison just for limited resources remains a constant. Video games 1998: Human behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources, heavy line holders, siege and teeming faggot.
If we destroyed the air or anything. We cant use up the Earth. We cant use up the water or anything. We can only that way for billions more.
Remember when Black Lives Mattered? I dont.rely on Earth with nukes tomorrow it would be lush and green and run units. And it's all by produce the most highly developed cities can viably production, so it makes tomorrow it would be lush and frontier cities have to rely on lighter units. Civ is so dumbed down in comparison just for not having this. You can make cheap kamikaze planes, deep strike forces, heavy line holders, siege and frontier cities having such a tree hugging faggot.
If we destroyed the most highly developed cities have to rely on lighter units. And it's all by produce the water or the air or the most highly developed cities can viably produce the air or the most highly developed civs.

Is this Cornelia's retarded sister?

Pandora tried but it still wasn't anything close to it

>unit customization
>terraforming
>sea cities
>the world is actually alive and always relevant - not only barbarians that bother you early game
>better AI

SMAC is miles above CIV

POD RECOVERY.

INDIGENOUS LIFEFORM

>not worm rushing with gaia

Go away crazy witch

>As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he deems himself your master.
>— Comissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"

How did they know Cred Forums?

RIP USA

Is there any way to fix the needlejet crash? I've got every official and unofficial patch but it still crashes every few games.

How did he knowwww