Episode VI - Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber

Episode VII - Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together

Episode VII Side Story - Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis

Why did they skip episodes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lkOmY0YuASs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To set up the Tactics Ogre ring theory.

I thought luct was after the gba game? As much as I absolutely love luct, I never bothered with the earlier games

5, 6, 7 and 7 side story? What's missing?

The GBA game is a spin off that leads into LUCT. The story is a little bit of a retcon on one of the characters though.

Where's 1-4? Also they went from 5 to 7, then released 6.

I've never played these before, reccomended starting points? How much emphasis is given on story? Also would you guys reccomend using a guide for these games?

What's happening in this pic? Is that Ravness?

Either March of the Black Queen --> Person of Lordly Caliber
or
Any Tactics.

Also, use guides, as great as the games are, they're very secretive about their mechanics.

I'm sorry to be a dumbass but what exactly is the difference between ogre battle and tactics ogre?

In order to save and recruit Ravness, you have to slaughter everyone at the end of Chapter 1.

Law route happening

One is a Tactics game, like Final Fantasy Tactics, and the other is its own unique brand of strategy game.

AAAAAAAAUGH MY DICK

Denam slaughtering the people of Balmamusa to get Ravness later.

Best girl. Ravness is pretty high tier as well

Ravness is just fan service to Agriasfags, though she's inferior to Agrias in every way.

I still need to do the Law route. I did Chaos first and never found out that best girls were Law only.

I'm pretty sure it's just meant to be a Star Wars reference. Someone correct me if I'm off base, but I remember there being tons of lines from Star Wars in Let us Cling Together, and I think they were in the Japanese script as well.

Law route is the best by far. You get to reunite Ozma with her blind husbando and get best girl Ravness. Vyce is a nice addition too.

Its really weird to me how if you try and save the villagers, Vyse becomes a 2edgy5me super faggot psycho, and if you slaughter them he basically becomes Jesus.

Is that weird to anyone else?

I love seeing these threads but I always get sad because it's just TO discussion.

I understand it's the more popular game, but come on, give some love to MotBQ and PoLC. They are fucking masterpieces in their own right

care to atleast type the full title so we can check it out

Pretty sure The Knight of Lodis was right before Let Us Cling Together, for reasons.

They are in OPs post, dude. March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Caliber.

Ogre Battle 1 and 2 are "Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen" and "Ogre Battle: Person of Lordly Caliber."

The first one is on SNES (with a JP only Genesis port and a PSX port) and the second one is on N64.

For people who have played the first one, did you play on SNES or PSX?

Also pictured: tons of faggots love Deneb and don't even know she was an Ogre Battle staple before she was a TO staple. This is the worst offender just because it's about waifufaggotry

I can excuse the TO players who didn't know Canopus, Lans, Warren, etc were from Ogre Battle 1

Tell me about it. I thought it would have made a lot more sense if Vyse always chose to go along with Leonard and Catiua always chose to oppose his plan. So if you went Law you sided with Vyse and Leonard and if you went Chaos you sided with Catiua.

Why i couldn't save you in any route? I've failed thee.

Bro to end all bros.

Ogre series did bros right

The battle against him was really good, even more if you bring Arycelle with you

My next OB playthrough is gonna be the Saturn version, even though I can't read Japanese well at all. I'm acquainted enough with the game to get by without it. Something about those little colored minimap sprites as opposed to the gold/silver of the SNES version is so neat to me, just because it's the opposite of what I'm used to.

I don't know why, but even though I was shit at it March of the Black Queen was my favourite game as a kid. Something about the music and the aesthetics just did it for me.

I played MotBQ, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't appreciate the alignment system. I think something like that should be based on moral decision making at key points rather than tie it into gameplay in a way that is abstracted. It's really clever as a balancing mechanic; if you want to be rewarded with better endings you have to handicap yourself, so it preserves challenge even when a player knows every in and out of the system and could easily beat the enemy. But it seems silly that playing efficiently and quickly sees the game interpret you as "evil". That's just strange to me.

>left in to be continued at the end of LUCT PSP

there's still hope bros

This is one of the worst things about the PSP remake. Almost all the new content exists to make the Law route have literally no downsides and shit on Chaos route at every turn.

Chaos exclusive characters? Don't exist anymore outside of one single character, the automatic leave in neutral route is gone, despite making no story sense at all. Unique Chaos route spells like revive? Everyone gets them now. Oh, well at least Chaos gets the new characters right? Ravness would align with the Chaos route? Nope, she's only recruitable in the law route where you betray her as stupid as that is. You get some irrelevant necromancer in the last 1/5th of the game at least. What about exclusive classes? Nope, now everyone has everything. Well, at least chaos/neutralfags get some extra content right? Nope, Coda only follows from Law route because it requires Vyce to be recruited and alive.

I don't understand why fucking everything is for the law route in the PSP version, while the Chaos route actively loses shit.

It's pretty fuckin' hard to complete the game doing a non-evil run.

>ywn play the downloadable iMode maps

Feels bad.

The explanation for this that I've heard is that Vyse secretly hates Denam and so always picks the option to oppose him

No offense but you seem to have a shaky understanding of the alignment system. Decision making affects your reputation meter, which is what you are referring to. Gameplay decisions affect your alignment, which is character-by-character and pretty much just affects what class paths they can take.

Wait, I think I know how you played the game.

You took one unit full of pumped-up assholes, let them get overleveled (which decreases their alignment--beating the shit out of low level enemies will make people think you're evil) and then "liberated" (captured) towns with them, lowering your reputation.

He left Square years ago, I don't think we will get a sequel anytime soon.

he came back for LUCT and he might get desperate after that shitty mobile game fails

my main worry is he reused elements of ogre battle series story for his other games like FFT etc.

No I do understand all of that, and that is NOT how I played the game. I am referring to the reputation meter, I just misnamed it as alignment. What you described is exactly as I said it, the game rewards you with a higher rep and better endings by handicapping yourself and lowers your rep if you play it like you would another game of this type. I had a high reputation at the end of the game and got one of the better endings, I just didn't think it was FUN. Thanks for the condescension though.

The reputation system that is, I thought the overall game was fun.

I played the SNES version(have on Wii via VC and on SNES emulator). So much fun. I also played the PS1 version at a friend's house which was a pretty good port(although the load times drops the game to a crawl).

Fantastic soundtrack though.

Makes sense to me. In the law route you have the power to protect the people you want to protect, e.g. ravness, whereas in the chaos route you're busy running from bounty hunters and whatnot.

The law route's story was much better than chaos route's to begin with and the remake made it better, I fail to see why that would be a bad thing.

>I hate challenge and feel entitled to good endings for playing easy mode

Its a shame there is no decent Ogre Battle wiki, the world is so complex and the lore so rich its a shame.

Reread my original post, faggot.

"It's really clever as a balancing mechanic; if you want to be rewarded with better endings you have to handicap yourself, so it preserves challenge even when a player knows every in and out of the system and could easily beat the enemy"

Also, as I said, played the game with a high reputation, so I didn't just coast through the game and bitch at getting a shit ending.

Kachua was about the most emotionally unstable bitch I've ever seen

>mfw playing LUCT on PSP after playing Knight of Lodis

why the fuck did they remove so many mechanics? Why is it so much worse?

Best Girl

I kinda like it being almost occult knowledge. Over developed wiki's is part of what ruined the souls series. Everything is discovered and achieved too fast.

My point still stands. You don't find challenge fun, you only went for the better ending because you're an insecure autist.

Yeah. When I got to the part on Chaos (I haven't played the other paths yet, so I dunno if a similar scene appears) where she's suddenly upset and claims you care more about the outcome of the war than you do her, calling you selfish, I was blown away by how unaware of the irony she was.

She reminded me of my own sister

She gets worse

I find challenge fun, I just found the system a bit wonky is all. No need to call me an autist because I lightly criticised one element in a game I otherwise really liked. Take the stick out of your ass. You sound like the insecure one.

Knight of Lodis is more like the SNES/PSX version of LUCT.

>The law route's story was much better than chaos route's to begin with and the remake made it better, I fail to see why that would be a bad thing.
Because then the one to make better would be the Chaos route because the law route was already fine, not make the worse one even worse

she becomes an entirely different person after she becomes queen...I couldn't tell if she actually matured or if it was just hand waved

Chaos Frame was a shit mechanic

There, I said it.

You need to tell catiua whatever she want's to hear. She's always right, never try to rationalize with a princess.

Alright anons

Let's talk about the FUCKING CRAFTING in LUCT

WHAT THE FUCK WERE THEY THINKING

crafting fags are idiots who are unable to understand the legitimate criticisms of the game.

man, this isn't even a parody, this is literally what happens except that she stabs herself

You are right.
Being forced to spare certain enemies is counter intuitive, and getting a random card that makes your alignment jump or fall just hurts.

This among other things is why I vastly prefer the SFC/PSX version. I didn't get very far in the PSP remake because everything changed just came off as superfluous and unnecessary. I did like the script, though. I'm a sucker for purple prose and ye olde english type shit.

Having played Knight of Lodis beforehand I was so hype for LUCT, thinking about what new mechanics they were going to throw in there, how they were going to improve the old mechanics, etc.

Then I play it and they remove literally everything I like (the merit system, the class system, most of the hidden mechanics) and replace it with that crafting bullshit.

Just save scum. It's not that bad.

What IS bad, though, is the retarded job system and how every new job starts at level 1.

From what little I played before dropping it, didn't they get rid of stat growth being tied to class? You know, how a Terror Knight that trained as a Ninja would have higher hit rate from Agility increases? What is even the difference between two people of the same class other than the skills you give them?

>job system bad because level 1

oh look another dummy

I loved Ogre Battle games.
They were flawed as hell though - March of the Black Queen's complexity and hidden stats were brain burning, and Lordly Caliber was 20 or so stages too long.

I'd still play a new one day one, though.

the problem with Lordly Caliber was the random events that have an insanely low chance of procing.

My brother replays it twice a year and goes out of his way to try and see new shit but still gets fucked by the RNG.

I played tactics ogre on Psx... it's one of the few games that had writing that felt natural. it actually had choices available that I would make. None of this generic black and white, good/evil. I guess I favor chaotic good. Sometimes you don't need a happy ending. That was refreshing

I played Ogre Battle 64 ages ago and got a terrible ending because I had no clue what chaos frame was until the end credits told me what my score was

And I probably missed a ton of shit

> Lordly Calibur
> random events

... I can't remember if I EVER got a random event. Wow.

What random events are you referring to?

If anything, March of the Black Queen was way more RNG-influenced. Get a princess crown in an early stage and it's GG

That music was the coolest shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=lkOmY0YuASs

Not a fan of the whole hidden mechanics about alignment and promotion reqs and stuff though.

I reloaded after that shit happened, don't even feel bad about it.