Do good sports games even exist anymore?

Do good sports games even exist anymore?

Nah

Once they became simulators, the party was over. Apart from last gen's NBA Jam reboot, I can't think of any decent recent ones.

Only normies cared about the and normies ruined the genre

Nope all fun left in the 90's and 2000's

If you like some specific sport, yeah, there are good games for almost every kind you like. If you're some faggot like who only thinks "le ebin randumb BALL IS ON FIRE XDDD" button masher is the only kind of worthwhile sports game so no, you won't have fun.

>Only normies cared

Fuck that, I used to love the FIFA, PES and NHL games back in the day. Madden 2005 was great as well.

Football Manager is a good game. It sucks you in and puts you into its world. The jankiness of the simulation is part of the appeal. Easily possible to burn out on though.

By and large though, yearly games are mediocre because their purpose is to minutely iterate on last year while shaking up the ancillary content to make the most adbux out of the $60 yearly fee to keep playing. It's a parasitic as fuck business model even by game industry standards and shouldn't be rewarded, but is, massively.

I'm interested in FIFA 17 for the Journey Mode they've introduced, but the demo handled a bit sluggishly during matches. Might be because I suck, but player moment isn't very fluid.

Sony's MLB series is pretty tight but you really only need one of 'em unless you care about rosters a lot.

Beyond that we're getting Steep and a new Hot Shots Golf next year which should be good, but yeah. Sports games died when they became sims - the best were always very arcadey ones - like SSX, Fifa Street, or even Skate.

Madden has been improving, still need sliders.

PES is superior to FIFA

College Football and 2K College Hoops had really good RPG elements for building a coach but the license issue fucked those games

PC Golf games used to be huge, not sure what happened.

No. If anything EA needs to get Gruden to do what Madden did back in the day and make sure they don't go the arcade route

No. It's all shitty overly intricate animations that dictate play, stupidly convoluted controls, obvious rubberbanding out the arsehole to make it usable for skilless normies and design-by-committee gameplay from people who have no idea how to balance the individual items that make up the whole. All this tied to a "literally just bugfix the last release in time for the yearly regurgitation"- MO that despite barely adding anything of consequence manages to create even more game-breaking bugs that mean the games vary in basic playability terms for the first 3 or 4 months of release from anywhere between broken and unplayable.

It's a dead genre.

Leaning too hard into sims is why we only have like six annual franchises and nothing else to choose from.

I'd gladly sacrifice the likes of Madden, NBA, and Fifa if it meant getting more extreme sports games and arcadey ones in general again.

The lack of proper team licences spoils PES for me.

The last good sports game was fight night champion.

most of these games are designed to sit down on the couch and play vs a buddy, which almost makes it impossible to fuck them up. People will moan about how FIFA is essentially the same game it was 10 years ago but they don't innovate because they don't need to

sure there are

I have 400h in Football manager

2K is great

The NHL games are good some of the time NHL16 was excellent for the online play

This is happening to many genres. Sports, racing, even shooting

From a gameplay perspective, it remains top notch. The game modes outside of quick play and Franchise are all about squeezing you out of every penny.

Golf club is pretty fun, isn't that on pc?

Yeah nba2k is ok. Comments that it's a sim are from people that never play them. There are sliders to make shit child friendly if that's how bad you are and you just want to see your team win (eastern conference majority)
There is also an rpg element to the career mode that makes playing basketball correctly rewarding.
BUT there is no point picking up this years iteration because Kevin Durants move just fucked the curve and made the most op team outside of all star teams and Olympic teams

>Madden has been improving, still need sliders.
It has sliders
Yeah from MLB the show to OOTP17 to Front office football seven

The FIFA series needs to improve player movement and the curse of not being able to score outside the box. If they could tackle it (fuck you), it'd be the ideal football series for me.

Define "good".

If the player can't spontaneously combust it's a shit sports game and I've seen none of that in the FIFA garbage that's being shelled out year after year

2K is a piece of shit designed for getting stupid niggers to part with their money while at the same time giving enough meaningless stats, animations, set plays and dribble controls to give the illusion that the person playing has any sort of skill whereas they're only really doing what the cpu arbitrarily allows them to do. And if it means a 7' center giving up a rebound to a 5'9 guy, it'll happen, even if it means watching him get pushed by an unstoppable animation right of the box.

At multiplayer isn't that retarded but then PAY UP NIGGA!

I still play NHL08, the best one so far IMO. Now all the players feel heavy, which isnt what I really want in a game. I want a game to be a game rather than NHL simulator 2017.
Im Canadian by the way.

Also INB4 IT on Javale.

The last good AAA sports game was FIFA 98.

Baseball 2020, Blades of Steel, Tecmo Bowl, NFL Blitz, SSX, Mario Strikers, NES Open, Punchout!, ...etc

>PES is superior to FIFA

Ahhhhh nah, thats objectively wrong

People are only buying PES for Camp Nou at this point.

PC needs NHL 17

Forgot NBA Jam, Skitchin, and Tony Hawk

Not since NCAA Football is kill. Those games were tight as fuck, almost always better than Madden, and were surprisingly deep if you wanted to control every bit of your program and put the time into recruiting.