Perfect consoles dont exis-

perfect consoles dont exis-

Other urls found in this thread:

gamespot.com/articles/sony-settles-ps2-class-action-suit/1100-6139482/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Too many sequels compared the the previous generation. Especially RPGs. Other than that it's by far the best console that generation.

Ps2 was good because It actually had genre diversity and did 3D to a quasi believable reality first,that's It.

>did 3D to a quasi believable reality first,that's It.

that was the dreamcast, kid

dumb yasunaposter

Should I of added that It was affordable?

....but the dreamcast was affordable?

what's wrong with great sequels to great games? It's certainly not as if it stifled the proliferation of new IPs at the same time.

Original Xbox and PS2 were great, they were the last generation to have a steady amount of midbudget games, now everything has to be triple a or "dude pixels lmao"

>480i

Gross.

Otherwise yes, PS2 was fucking fantastic on the basis of PS1 backwards compatibility ALONE much less the huge amount of games it got.

You could at least post the PS2 Slim version 2 without the ridges and strip, and not the ugly ass original Slim.

Stupid Yasuna hater.

BANG! Looks like i had an edge on you.

some games had progressive and widescreen modes, and component output

OP here, i posted the wrong image

Ps2:
>Plays ps1 and ps2 games
>Can be hacked to have emulators and shit
Ps4:
>Plays Bloodborne
>Gimmick vr shit
Ps2 beats ps4 so much why do people buy ps4s

Whoops,I tangled it with the Neo Geo.

Of course. And you can use GS mode selector to play games in 480p, 720p, or 1080i. It's just a shame that the image can't be cleaned up too much.

>PS2 was fucking fantastic on the basis of PS1 backwards compatibility ALONE
That's really what pushed it over the edge.

I think PS1 has a better library than PS2 (and any other console) but PS2 is the better console because it has both and that makes it the GOAT hands down.

>facebook memes
>consoles
Kill yourself.

>thread about vidya
>shitposter adds nothing

The fuck. Never realized there was 2 versions.

Close but no cigars
>Have to buy something extra to play online
>Online itself wasn't that good
>Have to buy a multi-tap for 4 player games
>Durability was shit and feels cheaply made

That's overdoing it a bit,don't you think?

Ps1 has it's fair share of gems,but it overkilled it's library with RPGs.Sure it has easily the best rpg library,but I can't give it more then that.

>but it overkilled it's library with RPGs

Why should I add anything to a stupid thread?

yet here you still are
go for a third, champ
show us just how little you care

If I got my numbers right, the first version was 75XXX series and the nicer version was 90XXX series, the former having FreeMcBoot fixed. Doesn't mean you can't put in your Action Replay or SwapMagic to boot your Open PS2 Loader or any other .elf though.

For the slim they added an ethernet port.

I can. It has an amazing selection of action games, adventure games, fighters, racers, and a decent amount of platformers. I'll list out my collection:

Armored Core
Bushido Blade
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Bandicoot 2
Crash Bandicoot 3
Crash Team Racing
Duke Nukem Total Meltdown
Dino Crisis
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Ghost in the Shell
Gran Turismo
Legend of Dragoon
Medal of Honor: Underground
Medievil
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions
Parasite Eve
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Ridge Racer Type 4
Silent Hill
Soul Blade
Tekken 3
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider 2
Wipeout XL
Wip3out

5 jrpgs. Just a sixth of muh gaems.

>perfect

Remind Sony lost a class action lawsuit because they made the ps2 fail on purpose.
gamespot.com/articles/sony-settles-ps2-class-action-suit/1100-6139482/

>posting multiplats

some things just never change

Did you cut off because this happened?

>Durability was shit and feels cheaply made
I've got an original fat PS2 from like 2002 and it still works. Stop treating your electronics like shit.

>if it works for me it works for everyone else!

fuck yourself

Good point. For all the memes about the 360 red ring, ps2 was left wholly unscathed, probably because internet wasn't as far along yet.

I went through 5 different ps2s.

I was gonna say "in before people say this never happened" but I was too late

>fuck yourself
I'm too tired, I just got done fucking your mom :^)

What about the real best console? The one and only X4.

>works for me! ;)

T-those look kinda good...

I'll get you next time tenacious /vr/!

>For all the memes about the 360 red ring

That's no meme, son. The 360 was a piece of feces. And so was the first production line of PS2.

Glorified DVD player

On the flip side the funny thing is I'm still on my original OG 360 from around 2007.

prove it.

I know but my point was that the 360 got a ton of hate (justified) while there wasn't much fuss about the ps2.

And you're a glorified thread bumper.

It's okay when Sony does it

The only good thing about Ps2 was the games. The hardware was awful
>terrible architecture
>breaks easily
>only two controller ports
>weak hardware
>relatively expensive to make

We may never reach perfection, but we got about as close as we'll ever get.

My first PS2 slowly destroyed all my games, and then finally its own disk drive

>first production line

The ps2 disc read error scam continued on production units until at least 2003. just because it worked for you doesn't mean it didn't keep happening for everyone else.

I love Gamecube, but its selection of games isn't wide enough to be one of the best

>without the ridges
>people with this shit taste actually exist

I had all three consoles, gamecube was my favorite but i ended up playing on my ps2 more. Pikman was so awesome for its time.

2002, not 2003. Just because it happened to you after that year doesn't mean it happened to everyone else.

You just made me think back and I think I had to get it repaired for red ring at Best Buy once a few years ago.

My memory is really going to shit.

I pretty much only used my PS2 for MGS games.

nowadays i play my dreamcast more than the other ones

This, the best 6th gen combo was a PC and a gamecube. I remember when I bought it was like 1/3 the price of the xbox or ps2 in 2004 and came with a game.

>that friend who said he would give you his ps2 when he got a ps3
You hurt me Mikey

The perfect console is the one that is able to play my favourite franchises and most of my favourite games.
Times were so much better back then. All those RPGs in one single console!

>Disc Read Error

You're right, perfect consoles don't exist.

>perfect
>consoles
These words should never be written in the same sentence.

The only thing I don't really like about the PS2 is that even some of the 480p games still look like shit on modern TVs because it was garbage at anti-aliasing and most games rendered at something like 570x420 so there's a lot of upscale blurring.

You're right, only portable systems have ever been perfect.

They would be right, there is no perfect console, for some very simple reasons. There will always be shovelware, hardware limitations, etc.

>those hinges
>glossy case so you had to constantly clean the outside (more of an autism complaint but hey)
Try the DSi if you want a top-of-the-peak DS system.

Good luck playing GBA carts.

I miss when videogames weren't as expensive as now to make which would lead to a lot of mid budget hidden gems, there are so much unknow good shit in the ps2. Its no wonder that most hidden gem threads are full of ps2 and ps1 games, a shame tha the same kind of thing isn't really possible with new gen consoles.

It's 640x448 or 512x448 with the rest being black overscan. This is my own capture.

>PS2 instead of Xbox
Ok.

You didnt even say candlejack you fucking re-

It was poorly designed, too expensive. A well made console doesn't lose the makers a lot of money for each console sold while still being expensive. You have to consider cost too, and Xbox was very bad at that.

>Doing candlejack wrong
trigg

Yeah, but i mean in terms of hardware, the Xbox was light years ahead.

If we're going to see things in terms of power then
Xbox > GC > PS2

If we're actually talking about seeing ahead of the time
GC > PS2 > Xbox

It's so weird that candlejack is considerate enough to type the captcha and hit post for us, doesn't anyone else find that a little s

>Perfect console
>Shittiest version of any multiplat 90% of the time.

>not including the dreamcast

how come he dont want me?

You ever see the PS2 of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory? It's just so...

>hardware that was so bad it lost a class action lawsuit and I got a free game (it was shit)
>the worst version of every multiplat
>most of its games were multiplats

>If we're actually talking about seeing ahead of the time
>GC > PS2 > Xbox

>Xbox had a built in ethernet port for online play
>actual good online play to boot
>free DLC
>Built-in HDD
>Can copy CDs to HDD and play them in games that allowed customs OST
>Not ahead of the time

If the Xbox had the games to keep up with the PS2, it would have been the best system of that gen

>he didn't play ps2 online

Confirmed sonygger

The only online PS2 games were Socom and Final Fantasy.

to be fair, HD in the home wasn't really a thing until the end of the PS2's lifespan

I actually forgot about it... I'm sorry.

GC is also full of stuff that wasn't used despite being stuff that is considered normal nowadays and was released before the Xbox.

one of the burnout games had online

PS2 quantity vs Xbox quality.

Let's get this started.

>critic reviews
>ever being relevant to the quality of a game

>DVD player
>Best console

Oh boy...

Ratchet and Clank had online.

You do know the PS2 was so notorious for breaking down, that the European trade commission had to step in and threaten Sony to ban their console as they broke (((coincidentally))) shortly after the warranty ran out.

It did, and what a waste of resources that was.

I need to agree with this user. I've had mine for fifteen years and have not had any problems with the exception of a few disc read errors

All my consoles work and my oldest one is a Master System 3.
Heck, I picked up my GBA about a month ago after a year without even touching it and not only did it work it also had fucking battery!

Things were done with so much more care back then...

t. nogaem cube owner

>It's not good unless it has a 90!!!
Most of these game are enjoyable as fuck and there's enough variety for everyone. You would know it if you actually played videogames.

>PS2 shared a bunch of western multiplats with the gamecube and xbox
>but a vast majority of them weren't on PC
>tfw the PS2 quite literally killed PC gaming, and only left it with glorified tech demos (Doom 3) and the birth of all cancer of video games (CoD, WoW, WC3)

SNES is the goat

There was like a bizarre cabal during sixth gen plotting against the master race.

PC didn't get shit for multiplats the whole time, and when they did it was bullshit ports like Spider-Man 2.

gamecube was the best for zelda fans

>you are now aware that PC actually got more Japanese games than western games in 6th gen
>not even indie shit, but like actual Japanese games like Onimusha, Raiden 3, DMC3, MGS2, and some others

Looking back, it makes me wonder if the transition from physical to digital is what slowed the Japs down. PC even fucking got Puyo Puyo, for Japan ONLY. Now PC is lucky to get literal PS2 ports older than Steam is.

Got mine on launch day, it still works too.

as I understand it, back then it was difficult/expensive as shit to code for multiple platforms

nowadays, PS4/Xbone/PC is basically the same thing

>as I understand it, back then it was difficult/expensive as shit to code for multiple platforms

>companies viewed the GameCube, N-Gage, and Gizmondo as viable platforms
>but not PC

In a time when video game reviews were far more honest than today...

video game reviews has always been a joke, kid

Dude, the Xbox was a PC in a fancy case with slightly scrambled DirectX.

They could have done it pretty easily.

My nigga~

PS2 is still the absolute best console of all time.

> Quality
> Quantity
> Retro compatibility
> Game oriented instead of social media and online cheap PC imitation bullshit
> Decent and good sequels of old games
> Tons of new IPs
> No console war bullshit, SONY was absolute king of the castle and Nintendo had it's own kingdom and nobody fucking cared. Dreamcast was no competition, Xbox was no competition and the best PC had to offer was Diablo 2 and CS.

It was a golden age... PS2 may forever be the king of kings.

>surprised that a 6th gen review is biased
>when the GameCube was fucking shat on by literally everyone

GameInformer especially was anti-GameCube, most of the things they ever had to say was "muh sales" or "muh lunchbox". Of course, they liked the games enough, that they rated the inevitable PS2 ports higher than the originals because it wasn't on the GameCube.

The PS2 ports were always worse too.

Tommy was always a fucking faggot in his reviews. He only liked games he was able to compose the music for, which was like 1 game in the history of that shitty show.

how old are you?

Wait wait wait. This is Tommy Tallarico? As in the guy who was given accolades for rearranging classical/public domain music and claiming it as his own?

That was true almost everywhere though. That's also part of the problem why Sony kids are so arrogant these days and why Nintendo is treated mainly as a kids brand. Not that the Wii helped though... Heck, the way things went with the GC I could even guess that's why they even made the Wii the way it was.

Was the PS2 the peak of vidya?

That's what I said, literally everyone hated the GameCube. Even Nintendo Power themselves admitted that the PS2 was the better console.

No. The late 90s was but its underappreciated today since everything it achieved has been lost for nearly a decade now, so when kids go back and play games from that era they hate it.

LOL. Literally. That's the only thing you deserve.

I was speaking from a worldwide perspective. There were tons of misleading information always bashing the GC as a weaker system in terms of performance. Heck even the Xbox suffered from that. Why were people so biased towards the PS2 I will never understand.
I resptect the games but I must say that was the time when I started really hating fanboys, specially Sony's.

Stuff from that era still holds up pretty well considering it was all a new beginning in terms of 3D. Good times for games!
I still play some of those with friends and family.

>Why were people so biased towards the PS2 I will never understand.

>150 million fucking consoles sold
>literally the market leader
>marketing, marketing everywhere
>PS brand made a name for itself the last generation
>Sony was still one of the largest megacorps in the world, with plenty of money to spare

Yeah, it is a mystery.

>150 million fucking consoles sold
A lot of those were after being discontinued thanks to third world countries. It did sell a whole shitload before being discontinued (and after) thanks to it being literally defective and Sony counting repaired consoles as sold units (so by their logic I owned 4 PS2s).

Wew, lad. Nice multiplats.

it was aimed at the mature demographic so naturally the genres of the games had that characteristic

Got my PS2 in fall 2001. It scratched discs from day one. Despite that fault, I didn't have any other problems with it until around 2007. It hasn't been able to read discs since then. I can't bring myself to throw it away...

On the other hand, my PS3 phat that I bought in 2007 has been a fucking tank. Most reliable console that I've ever owned.

Most of the selling was done due to the dvd player and console brands like Nintendo and Sega were previously in the market and had some renown even among new customers. Marketing played a huge role indeed, but why was a bias needed? Why did they need to shit on others?
I mean even when facts were shown it wasn't even fair it was plain ugly. I remember seeing reviews of RE4 on GC being written like jelly mad rabid dogs who wanted the game for their system, I mean they praised it but always tried to give it a shallow score since it appealed to the famous "hardcore" audience that was all the rage back then. When the game was finally ported to the PS2, and it was a shit port with a visible decline in graphic quality (another thing people praised above everything back then), everyone and their mothers praised the game for being the best thing ever and much better than the GC version by miles. They didn't talk about the new modes or weapons, no, it was all graphics and how the console performs better! (it didn't, it has huge loading times even).

So, why was that needed? Why did people follow Sony like good dogs when they weren't even giving them the best products in the market in terms of multiplats which is what is so praised nowadays?

>Of course. And you can use GS mode selector to play games in 480p, 720p, or 1080i
How does that work exactly?

>PS3
>A fucking tank
It even looks like one, right!

If not for the PS2's success the launch of the PS3 would have probably killed Sony right there... It was so bad.

>I remember seeing reviews of RE4 on GC being written like jelly mad rabid dogs who wanted the game for their system, I mean they praised it but always tried to give it a shallow score since it appealed to the famous "hardcore" audience that was all the rage back then. When the game was finally ported to the PS2, and it was a shit port with a visible decline in graphic quality (another thing people praised above everything back then), everyone and their mothers praised the game for being the best thing ever and much better than the GC version by miles

>back then, Sonybros were constantly salty about other platforms getting games and begging for ports
>when they got ports, they proclaimed them as the best games ever
>when they didn't get ports, they accused the platform holders of moneyhatting developers (literally, Munch's Oddysee was responsible for that term being coined)

>now, PCbros are constantly salty about games that don't come to PC, and beg for ports
>once the games get ported, they treat them as the second coming of Christ
>the games that don't get ported are met with "holding games hostage" speeches

Guaranteed to make your neurons produce electricity and form a thought.

Paid reviews/shills and dumb consumers.

PS2 had the perfect balance between quality sequels and new IPs. Plus, no DLCs nor extra content, everything came with the game, if you knew how you could unlock it. It was great.

VP2, Onimusha 1,2,3, dreakengard, Shadow hearts 1 and 2, KH 1 and 2, SO3, ToA, DMC, Chaos Legion, LoK: Soul reaver 2 and defiance, The Godfather game, Xenosaga, Shadow of Colosus, Prince of Persia: sands of time, Odin Sphere, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Radiata Stories, .hack// games and i could go on...

Now if we find 10 decent games we call it good enough...

I've got my PS3 phat and Xbone next to each other and they take up the entire fucking desk. Those gloriously collosal beasts...

Well PC can't really complain since it can do literally everything else aside from exclusives. Still, nowadays even Sony fanboys incite wars against the PC all because one of the reps mentioned that the PS4 was going to compete with the PC. Just that was enough to make all those little mice do their bidding.
Simple minded people I must say. It's a shame that part of it is also hurting the industry overall when it comes to game quality.

>Crash Bandicoot
>Crash Bandicoot 2
>Crash Bandicoot 3
>all of this and no Spyro

Dude.

>Those gloriously collosal beasts...
They are so fucking ugly. PS4 is a bit sleeker even though the new designs rub me the wrong way. Xbone is a brick, no other word can describe it better, but at least the newer model looks fine.

GC looked whacky but it wasn't ugly, I'm kinda fond of it, Wii was a simple block and the Wii U is kinda pretty (I would have liked a matte controller though). The things are going I don't fear for the NXs design but since their ideas are getting crazier I don't know what to expect...

Don't speak of the dead! They deserve peace.

wish i had picked up a few of these when they were still $99

Eh, I'm a fan of old electronics so I like how the Xbone looks like an early eighties VCR.

The slanted design of the PS4 disturbs me.