What game has the best dialogue system?

What game has the best dialogue system?

My vote is for Mass Effect

SHOO SHOO NEO Cred Forums

step aside, pleb.

Alpha Protocol

kek

I feel like CRPGs showing all the line would give too much away in modern games with VO though

> Dat writing

Holy shit do people actually like this?

Any one where you pick options off a list that clearly spells out what your character says is suitable.

Among games that do that, I'd say New Vegas because of stuff like pic related.

Was about to post something along these lines. Also how most of these decisions have a degree of influence on people and events, i.e. reputation/infamy with a certain faction, increasing/decreasing the value of your reward or even just finding an alternate way to complete a quest

Low intelligence makes for some entertaining dialogue choices too.

That's just Obsidian being great at writing and crafting a world though.

cause has a different dialogue system but the choices and consequences are still there

Very true. It's just not something I see often so I misattribute it. I've actually never played Alpha Protocol before but was thinking about it.

Cringed hard at this borderlands style tripe.

Planescape

> grenade goes bang is "great writing"

You should give it a go. It's janky as fuck but definitely worth it. Just abuse stealth and enjoy the ride

What's wrong with it?

This ought to be fucking good

he has a low explosives skill. It's kind of a joke because it's an obvious failed choice

Never played an older dnd module? It expects players to lap this shit up. I run old modules occasionally and half my time is paraphrasing the bullshit that the devs wrote.

There's no memes in that dialog

or feminism

I really liked Jade Empires very blatant Good, Evil and Neutral choices. One in particular that comes to mind is telling this group of people there's a bunch of cannibals deep in the forest or letting them wander in and get eaten alive. It was pretty great.

Nah nigga. I fucking hate it when the dialogue choice says one thing and the actual character says something ranging from mildly to completely different.

Did you read it? It reads like an elemntary play version of Lord of the Rings. Rather than just speak normally, it uses these overcomplicated sentences, even though it definitely doesn't make the characters seem more dignified. It's literally like someone watched LotR and tried to write something like it without knowing anything about writing.

Took you 23 minutes to think of that reply, eh?

If Shepard said this in ME after you chose "Can't Promise" in the dialogue wheel you wouldn't bat an eye.

the ones that show you everything your character is going to say

> Took you 23 minutes to think of that reply, eh?

Projecting much? It took about ten seconds because I can't be arsed making a fucking takedown, I just noticed how much it sucks.

> If Shepard said this in ME after you chose "Can't Promise" in the dialogue wheel you wouldn't bat an eye.

What the fuck are you talking about? Who mentioned Shepard? Who the fuck is this directed to?

>tfw games don't let me play as a chuuni anymore

Biggest shitpost on Cred Forums this year

Please god let this thread be posted ironically.

Mass Effect came under serious fire for that dialogue system when it came out

I would say something like Geneforge with the ability to save any lines any NPCs give you straight to your journal.

Infinity Engine games have a terrible dialogue system. It almost feels tacked on.

As it deserved.

The way Human Revolution does it is a bit better: one line summary at a glance, and the actual dialogue you'll say before you commit.

(B) Not interested

Witcher 3 has close to perfect for a voice acted game. I dont really care about text based systems since you can just write 20 meaningless responses and the depth is an illusion at best.

As opposed to modern games where the shallowness is there for everyone to see?

Witcher has never had good systems in any of their games (except for gwent).

>See a dialogue option that says "go away"
>"Hmm.. the npc is quite annoying, I'll just tell them to go away".
>Press option
>"GET OUT OF MY SIGHT OR I WILL FUCKING MURDER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!"
>Get evil points.

>[Reading Comprehension 2/5]

>I dont really care about text based systems since you can just write 20 meaningless responses and the depth is an illusion at best.

Or you can write 20 options that matter. Each in their own ways.

I kinda like a thing that Torment did, where choices didn't seem to matter at the time - looked purely cosmetic role-play choices - but then in aggregate would change things in the game. Best of both worlds.

> all that useless text that means absolutely fuck all and npcs respond the exact same line of dialogue 99% of the time

>the dialogue choice says one thing and the actual character says something ranging from mildly to completely different.

ME doesn't do this. It's very clear what tone Shepard will take from the wheel position and text.

Pretty much this. The game felt too much like a choose your own adventure novel.

You are literally the only person on the internet who thinks this. The wheel position only tells us if we're about to be a dick or be nice. It doesn't tell us whether or not being a dick means being sarcastic and smarmy or a bloodthirsty psychopath, or if being nice is just that or if it's gonna land you in someone's pants.

Sequels made it a little clearer in the dialogue wheel but half the time you either had to go full paragon or full renegade because apparently neutral answers were too hard for them to put in.

It's funny how people say that and never notice the choices aggregation bits.

Instant gratification trumps all I guess.

But it does though, you fucking ignoramus.

Every dialogue option has a purpose that affects the story later on.

1. You have the option to avoid the dialogue shift, that is if you started off your character with high Charisma
2. Deionarra doesn't appreciate that you don't view her love as seriously, and will not help you leave the mortuary and will not give you the priest spell to raise the dead.
3. You shift your alignment a little towards Chaotic.
4. You shift your alignment towards Evil and Dionarra will not help you leave the mortuary and you will never get the priest spell from her.
5. She senses your doubt and will tell you to leave her be.
6. You shift your alignment a little towards lawful.

And alignment shifts in the game alter the responses you can give to people throughout the game, and can play out many events differently.

It's as if though you've only played the game once and as "High INT, CHA, WIS all the way!" faggot.

Alpha protocol, honestly.
Pick your attitude in real time based on what the other party is saying.
It is basically upgraded mass effect system.

Sadly game is bugged as hell.

Well its as fun as choosing
>vault- tec? + stupid
>hate newspaper + chaos
>go on + intellect
>good morning + anal prolapse
You're not having a dialogue as much as youre choosing points.

pic related

>You are literally the only person on the internet who thinks this.

No, most people don't complain about the wheel. It's only a minority of people on the internet who do. This is because the wheel is fine and comprehensible so long as you don't have autism.

The only time the wheel doesn't make sense is ME1's Kaidan/Ash dialogue, where exclusively choosing the neutral option will still lock you into a romance.

> asking for payment is evil

> t. literally communists

DnD alignment is so fucking retarded, I'm glad it's been abandoned.

Dwarf Fortress

That's why I prefer the systems to be invisible myself.

Forces you to role play and think about what you're saying and the implications.

Still, tohuh, it's not so much so much the point gathering that is inherently bad as the implementation.

Isn't RPGs are, well, a "choose your own adventure" games?
What's so bad about ROLE PLAYING in the mother fucking ROLE PLAYING GAME?

I uses to think this.
Then i played vanilla FO4.
Jesus christ that game.
Now Me looks closer to NV/3 system

Now you see why MMOs are dead.

HIROSHIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

This, the Tex Murphy has the best dialogue system in vidya, especially for a comedy game.

It follows the "Show an idea of what you'll say instead of exactly what you say" but instead of Bioware, it actually works.

Morrowind I suppose. I like seeing everything that I'm going to say and you can inquire about a shit ton. NPCs also have super long responses because not everything is voice acted, it's pretty great.

>I'm glad it's been abandoned
Yeah, along with every other role playing mechanic. RPGs aren't RPGs anymore.

I never understood why it told you you were going to fail the skill check, before you even did it

Vampire Bloodlines has the best one I've seen.

Old school people made the game.

They expected players to make choices based on role-play decisions, regardless of results. But also had to account for all the people that were only interested in results.

What we ended up with is that weird hybrid.

>glass him

see
New Vegas has voice acting.

Witcher 1 also had voice acting and have superior dialogue systems to Witcher 3