I really don't get the praise this game gets. Explain it to me...

I really don't get the praise this game gets. Explain it to me. And it's not like the Witcher games aren't something for me, I played through Witcher 2 and really enjoyed it. But the combat system of Witcher 3 is so off-putting that I couldn't bother getting into it at all. And since combat is like at least 50% of what you do it was never fun for me.

Please no shitposting.

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1ul0aOgceGQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like how big the map is and how much shit there is to do. The main story has some branching options which make replays interesting to see how it plays out if you do stuff differently.

I don't like your favorite food can you explain to me why you like it so much? I just can't get into it, I don't get why you like it.

food analogy because that's what you deserve

So are you saying witcher 2's combat is better? Are you just memeing or a complete fucking retard?

I never understood it either, i mean the game is amazing in all other aspects, but I constantly see retards praising the gameplay.

I won't criticise the combat because you honestly can't make anything better for a third person RPG that isn't convoluted shit, but the whole level/skill system is dumb, not fun and makes no sense lore-wise since Geralt is already established witcher and outside of 'special' techniques and recipes the only thing tht gives him an edge should be the equipment, not new levels.

Level-locking/de-levelling hard-to-obtain items is equally dumb.
And the enemy variety was equally weak, they could have made noonwraiths completely different from plague maidens for example, instead they're all just reskinned wraiths with same attacks.
Same with msot flying beasts etc.

it isn't good but for some reason it didn't bother me there. maybe because TW2 wasn't as big and combat was more in line with linear games in density. In TW3 combat is a filler thing like in every massive open world game. You do it everywhere.

Combatfags, you make me laugh. You guys seriously love combat in games way too much. It's hilarious.

well it's hard to enjoy any game's combat if you played DMC or Dark Souls.

>Dark Souls
the game where every press of a button was followed by 1,5s of input lag?

it's not even the combat itself, most of the quests were press x to witchersense, follow for cutscene and mini-boss.
The gameplay was meh at best overall.

Aggressive marketing + riding on skyrim's marketing (hey guys, our map is 5 times bigger than skyrim's!). It was published by Warner Bros, the same company that was caught recently paying famous streamers to put on a good woord for Shadows of Mordor.

The game hits all the right notes to pander to the lowest common denominator. It holds your hand in every possible way and it's AI is hot garbage, which means that no matter the difficulty setting you're guaranteed to blaze through it.

It's literally the TLOU of this generation.

Do you use a gamepad?

>Explain it to me.

No.

You obviously didn't like it. Most humans really, really liked it.

No matter what any of us say in this worthless thread, no one is going to leave with their opinion changed, so can we just skip to the end?

I'm a casual
You're a contrarian faggot
Thread 404s

>Best graphics
>Best soundtrack
>Best animations
>Deep and immersive main-story full of emotions
>Varied and interesting side-quests
>Consequences, choices in quests
>Tons of rpg elements
>Deep character customization, looting, etc
>Best and the biggest open-world design ever made
>16 FREE DLCS
>Two big expansion packs for 10-20$ that has more quality-content than 60$ games
>Constant patches and bug fixes
>Devs listening to player feedback actively
>GWENT!

Holy fuck, name one other game that does this. Cdpr are based gods.

I've played Dark Souls and Bloodborne and I just gave up on them because the challenge made feel like I was wasting my time. How exactly is it going to fulfill my life? Is it going to get me a girlfriend once I beat the second boss? No, of course not. Challenge is overrated. That's why The Witcher 3 is so enjoyable. Yeah there is challenge, but because it's easier than DK or BB, you don't feel like you're wasting your life away playing video games and beating little stages. Witcher has a great story and charavters that you can get emotionally attached to. You can't get emotionally attached to combat can you. Combat is overrated, at the end of the day you're just swinging a sword and chopping down enemies once the smoke and mirrors are down. Thats it.

Witcher 3 mate. Best game.

It's the most beautiful open-world game ever made, every single location looks like it was carefully hand-crafted.

It has great combat, assuming you're not a pussy and you play on hardest difficulty utilizing potions oils and signs and not playing on regular abusing the dodge + light attack combo.

It has great side quests with great stories.
It has a great artstyle, things look real and sensible without being bland and generic (Nilfgaard's look in particular).

It has INCREDIBLE music.

Gwent is a fucking great minigame once you learn to love it.

Cons:
Movement is kinda clunky
Geralt and Ciri are HORRIBLY voiced
Main quest is fairly lacking compared to the rest of the game
was downgraded at release (still looks fucking great though)
dialogue system and dialogue scenes in general aren't very good

Nothing will ever change user, not now, not here, not ever, not anywhere.

Life is meaningless so just kill yourself now

>> It has great combat, assuming you're not a pussy and you play on hardest difficulty utilizing potions oils and signs and not playing on regular abusing the dodge + light attack combo.
> the combat is great when you don't actually play it the way it was intended to be and switch to a higher difficulty so enemies become bullet sponges and you die in one hit

gee, great advice there you moron. It's not about challenge. I would still prefer something like DMC or Dark Souls regardless of how hard it is to win. If TW3 had a DMC style combat system and it was piss easy I would have more fun with it than a highest difficulty TW3 combat system. The difficulty isn't the point, it's how responsive the game feels.

So you played Witcher 2? A real veteran, eh?
Fuck off, the objective order is TW3 EE > TW1 EE > TW2 whatever.

What don't you like about the combat, user? I found it to be pretty good with it's heavier focus on dodging enemies, counter attacking and setting up combos with items and signs.

The combat flows and responds perfectly fine. However, if you play it on lower difficulty which I assume you did, it gets repetitive since you're never forced into adapting different playstyles for different situations.

Stop it with this fucking meme. This bullshit retarded argument comes up every single fucking time. Higher difficulties don't change anything mechanically the same way it doesn't change shit in a game like Skyrim. It tweaks damage numbers and aggression of enemies. The movement stays the same, your weapon animations stay the same, the dodging mechanic stays the same. I've tried it on higher difficulties and thought it was just as bad. My problem with the combat system is not the challenge. I've played combat systems that I enjoyed far more even though the game is piss easy.

Then this game didn't click with you. However, nothing about the combat system is inherently wrong or clunky.
>aggressions of enemies
This makes a huge difference, you massive retard.

What is your problem with the combat?

>lol the enemy attacking twice instead of once changes dick about the fact that the combat feels ass

okay there friendo

It's an interactive storybook with awful combat. It does many of the same things other recent WRPGs like Fallout and Skyrim do and get tons of shit for but for some reason Witcher is GOTY instead.

It's barely and RPG, the combat is awful, there's little variation in "builds" or equipment and weapons, your choices barely matter and it had next to no replay value. It stands on its visuals, story and overall presentation, which are by far the least important parts of a video game.

Cred Forums apparently loves story-games with awful gameplay but won't admit it.

>enemies attack together rather than one at a time, forcing you to play it more safe and careful and to use signs to separate them so that you could finish them off one-by-one
>or alternatively, use signs like Igni and various bombs to kill them in groups
>hopping around and doing light attack becomes impossible, have to fight with brains

>not a huge difference

The reasoning of people who claim that the combat is awful is always fucking retarded.

You can literally count the games with better sword combat with 1 hand. DD(lol) darksouls, dmc and thats about it. Every other game is either worse or equal.

You click a button and your character does an automatic 5 mile flip next to the enemy. The combat feels very automized since a lot of animations are bound to the distance of your character to your enemy.

If the enemy charges at me in a game like Dark Souls for example I can start the attack animation and catch the enemy right when it enters weapon range. But in TW3 if the enemy charges at me my character jumps at it because the game assumes you want to close the gap between you and your enemy. So instead of doing a perfectly timed attack your character just jumps into the incoming attack animation and you eat shit. This ends up making the combat feel a lot more unresponsive than other games. It wouldn't be such an issue if animation canceling was a thing like in DMC. TW3 is basically a best of the worst of the Baham combat system (completely automatic movement that also ends up feeling incredibly boring to play)

>t's how responsive the game feels.
Nothing in the game feels responsive because responsive controls don't look cinematic and photorealistic when the character moves.

Everything Geralt does has some annoying animation/startup on it. Compare this to something like DDDA or Dark Souls, moving the stil just moves the character and it feels responsive. Games like GTA5 feel less responsive due to these little animations as well, you press the button/key and have to wait for the character to spin around and do his little animation to move as opposed to just moving immediately and it feels clunky and unresponsive. Oh, but it looks too "video-gamey" to have responsive controls I guess.

You are the faggiest combatfag. You're obsessed with combat. Combat this, combat that. Just fucking chop some enemies up and be happy. TW3 isn't just a combat game where you go around with no story or atmosphere and fight things. How can one be so obsessed with combat? I don't understand

The funny thing is that the TW3 transitional animations aren't even that good. In GTA5 they at least look decent and since you just shoot at shit you don't notice the fact that your character often fucks up proper spacing. TW3 would probably be one of my most favorite games if it had DD or DMC style combat. I don't think Dark Souls combat would fit because that one works better for 1 vs 1 combat.

Enough who likes W2's combat over W3's is basically either shitposting or is insane.

shut the fuck up. If combat is 50% of the game I'm not going to not complain about it. If a game has crap combat but it's rarely ever part of the gameplay then I don't care.

A game like FNV or F3 had absolutely dogshit combat but at least the vats and stealth system allowed you to not really ever use it at all. So in order for a game to not annoy me with a shit combat it should either have a system that subverts it or combat shouldn't be such a huge focus at all.

Even something as simple as turning 180 degrees is clunky, you have to wait for Geralt to lurch his way around for a second and then he'll move. It annoys the hell out of me in GTA too, it's just not very responsive.

>TW3 would probably be one of my most favorite games if it had DD or DMC style combat
Literal combatfag. Any person who looks at the Witcher 3 and goes "can't wait to play the combat" and says nothing about the story or world or the idea of getting sucked into a big story is a retard.

bump

I can respect that. If you're used to things being a certain way it can be hard to change to something else.
I never had a problem with it. I often strong attack into charging enemies, catching them as they get closer. It's been a good way for me to get in an opening for fight fights. It's just all about knowing that your character is going to move forward, which really doesn't take long to understand, and once I'd gotten it I didn't have any trouble moving through combat and attacking who I wanted when I wanted.

Though that does remind me of one guy's complaint that the combat was completely random when he didn't lock onto an enemy, with Geralt attacking random people instead of who he pointed the camera at.

>Stop caring about gameplay!
>You should care about the STORY!
Then why am I playing a video game?

>combat huge portion of gameplay
>lol what about the story?

if the story is so important then why the fuck is combat the primary solution for the majority of main-quests side-quests and general exploration.

Agreed. The combat was extremely offputting.
>Push an enemy into a corner and keep on hacking at him with a steel sword
>This takes up to a minute to kill him
>A fucking dwarf wearing no armor

Is calling people "combatfag" the newest meme?

>A game like FNV or F3 had absolutely dogshit combat but at least the vats and stealth system allowed you to not really ever use it at all.

You're going on and on and on. I lost you there. You're speaking another language. You autistic about how little mechanics here and there work together, it's the most autistic thing ever.

Yeah, who looks at a video game and expects it to be fun to play? It needs to be a cinematic experience, video games are too video-gamey.

Who cares, this guy makes this same thread every day.

It's not the 80s anymore. Games can amount to more than just combat mechanics.

Its pretty accurate, if someone only talks about combat in w3 context where the selling point of the game isnt combat.
If you like combat and only like combat play csgo, not story/narrative focused rpgs.

the problem there, user, is that combat is a key part of a monster hunter's job, and also needed for killing the people coming to knock up your little girl.

vocaroo.com/i/s1ul0aOgceGQ

>the selling point of a WITCHER game who's job is to hunt monsters is not combat

It's a good thing the combat allows to kill things then.

yes, it isn't, witchers main selling point has always been MUH GRAPHICS
you faggot

But since you're killing a lot of things, it makes sense to want to make this thing, of which you will be spending a fair amount of time doing, fun.

Yeah cause fuck it if a game has actually good gameplay am i right?

You can enjoy withcer game perfectly well while using a mob that instakills any enemies making combat a non factor.

It's fun stepping into the world and playing the role of Geralt, the Witcher. If you don't enjoy roleplaying or story heavy open world narratives, the game is not really for you.

imagine being this bad at video games

or, you know, I just play a game that is fun no matter what I do and doesn't suck dick 50% of the time.

oh look, a graphicsfag

>withcer
>mob

if you're not going to even try, I'm not going to bother, user.

No ones forcing you to do anything, you can play witcher 3 and be miserable or not.

>how DARE he criticize muh Visual Novel game!

>bought TW3 not too long after release for $30
>runs okay on 770
>looks so gorgeous on higher settings but can't get a smooth frame rate
>shelve it and wait to play it until I have a980 oe 1070
>present day
>have neither, and only more poor than I was a year ago

Such is life.

Let me guess, your first system was the 360?

PS3 actually! Who needs games!

I did the same with The Witcher 2 and many other games. It's worth the wait user, there are plenty of cheap "old" games to be played

I consider the souls franchise my favorite, yet TW3 combat doesnt bother me. Your just autistic.

>I'm fine with shit so everybody else should be fine with it as well

>How exactly is it going to fulfill my life?
Overcoming challenge is fun.

>If you don't enjoy roleplaying or story heavy open world narratives, the game is not really for you.
I like both of those things. I just don't like being forced to roleplay as Geralt the Witcher.

but muh books

I liked the vigor system of TW2 much better over the regeneration bullshit 3 has going.
Also the skill tree, and after a certain point/NG+ gaining ability points becomes useless in TW3.

So for you to like a game, it has to pander to you and just you? Fufilling everything you need for you to like it? Get over yourself cunt. Witcher 3 is an excellent game and just because it doesnt pander to your overly autistic desires doesnt mean its a bad game.

Witcher 3's combat is so similar to Witcher 2, I don't understand at all, OP.

It's literally just the same thing with tweaked spells and fixing shit like the vigor system.

The bigger problems with Witcher 3 are the leveling system and itemization, but honestly just turn the game onto easy or whatever and enjoy it for the amazing quest design. Only game I've ever played where even the side quests are somewhat interesting and fleshed out.

best combat in an rpg

No it has to be good at aspects that make up a large part of the game, like combat. If the card game turned out to be crap no one would really care that much because it's an optional minigame, you can go through the game and completely ignore it. You can't ignore the combat.

I am playing the Witcher series for the first time.

I am in Chapter 1 of Witcher 2 (I never played W1). I am going to go full Alchemy. Is it going to be fun or should I focus on something else?

I like Triss

But it's barely an RPG. Why do you fucking millenials always assume that role-playing means making dialogue choices and only making dialogue choices?

Oh, right, because most modern RPGs are barely RPGs so you know nothing beyond shitty AAA crap like Witcher.

Why don't developers just implement a story only mode so I can skip all the problematic combat???

But the combat is the best of any rpg

But its your opinion that the combat is shit. Regular non autistics think its quite good.

fucking normies with their bullshit opinions who cares

Is this a daily thread at this point?

you earned it

>combat is shit but I won't explain why.
>no shitposting please
You first

You earned my dick in your ass

I enjoyed Witcher 3 combat way more than 1 or 2. It is suitable for the game though, but could have been better.

neck yourself

>it's another combat bait thread

The combat isn't that bad. Personally I think there are worse games using the Havoc engine (Mad Max, Assassins Creed). Its a mix of the Arkham Games where you're fast and hit hard and can tear through people but also kind of Souls-y where (when you lean the controls) you have a lot of maneuverability and options in combat. You can mash attack and counter and be okay, but there is stuff to experiment with bombs and signs and runes.

Before I took a break from the game I had everything buffed with Aard runes and one use of Aard would knock everyone on their ass for 10 seconds and I'd take my time going around killing them while they're down. It was really fun.

Plus I kind of like playing as Geralt and just tearing through several enemies easily. Geralt is a bad ass and thats how it should be.