Is Master Chief as loved as Doomguy, BJ Blazkowics and Duke Nukem?

Is Master Chief as loved as Doomguy, BJ Blazkowics and Duke Nukem?

Other urls found in this thread:

gameskinny.com/y3xwb/master-chief-the-single-most-boring-protagonist-in-history
eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-bungie-why-master-chief-hardly-speaks
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

He used to be

Until 343 ruined him

Probably, to a certain generation. I don't really care about him.

Much, much, much more so. Just look at the sale numbers. Besides you can say that 343 runed him or whatever but Doom guy and Nukem suffered far worse fates. Nazi killer guy fared better but no one knows who the fuck he is.

This guy gets it, Halo 5's backlash over his absence in the campaign should have said something.

How has doom guy suffered worse? Did you really hate D44M that much?

On console, perhaps.

On PC, his impact was minimal.

>Doom guy and Nukem suffered far worse fates
Cuck Nukem is definitely gone. Doomguy is fine.

He was more loved at the point people forget about Doomguy and DOOM fans called him a rip off of Doomguy.

Now Chief is dead and Doomguy looks like Chief.

Duke is dead. After finishing D44M yesterday, doomguy seems alive and well. The recent wolfenstein games breathed some life into NJ imo. Honestly, I feel like doomguy is in a better spot than MC

*bj

>doomguy is in a better spot than MC
Uh huh.

What's that from? A power supply or something?

Master Chief is cute! CUTE!

Much much moreso

Doomguy has been revitalized by the new game though

>Much, much, much more so
I don't think you realize how beloved Doomguy is.

I think so MS put the Master Chief in every Xbone S, my guess is to simulate that future Halo games will stick with the Master Chief as the main character after the backlash of Halo 5. Halo 2, Reach, and Halo 5's backlash mostly shows that the fans want to play as the Master Chief in a mainline game and a different character in a spin off. ODST was the only Halo game to get this right along with the Halo Wars subseries and Spartan games..

Would Chief and Doomguy be bros?

By kids and retarded newfags? Yes, MC is a shitty moralfag autistic bland insert.

No: Chief isn't a people person, and Doomguy's too angry to hang out with anyone.

MC is a tame autist and Doomguy is a pissed off autist. So probably not.

Duke is dead as shit
BJ and Doomguy are doing great after the recent games. D44M is my GOTY so far.

Master Chief was great until 343 took a shit on him and the series.

>autists don't get long
Bronies happened though.

>Doom Marine

yeah doomguy is so beloved in the new one

what a quality post user

Yes, but it's cool to hate him these past few years

So is Doomguy. Maybe even more so because he is killing morally redeemable demons.

I don't think you know how out of touch you are with society

You can say that for doomguy, bj and duke.
mc fans are just younger but its the same thing

>irredeemable*

There not much else to say about a character that is basically a generic playermodel armor.

The Marine in Doom 2016 is the old Doomguy though

/thread

>a generic playermodel armor
You can say the same about the Doom Marine.

Bronies aren't autists, you kiddo

Doomguy was the original one of these, and they gave him a fun bit of personality in Doom 4

Doomguy had always a face, it was acharacter, it wasn't some shitty walking armor playermodel. Doomguy is just there to kick asses, MC is autism fantasy marysue personified.

I don't think autistic people can self insert like that. Mind your buzzwords

Doomguy is only beloved this much on Cred Forums and /vr/

If you ask anyone else what they think of Doomguy and tell them "huge guts rip and tear!" they'll look at you with puzzlement.

People who grew up with Doom are in their 30's by now.

What is the criteria for being "loved"?
If we're talking pure numbers probably captain king.

>Bronies aren't autists,
Are you sure about this?

>Marathon revival never ever

Duke has always been lame.

Face =/= personality
He's still a silent protagonist and his enemies are much more simpler in terms of morality.

>marysue
user, Doomguy in Doom 4 is described as an all powerful motherfucker that makes demons spread tales about him.

I'm not defending MC or attacking Doomguy, relax. I like them both.

Because honestly whats to fuckin love about MC? it's just a fuckin walking armor.

Reminder that all 4 are literally the same shit, the same "big huge mclarge tough badass" dude and you're all arguing about nothing.
All are rips offs of several 80's movie archetypes only watered down

Doomguy is basically a self-parodying meme who exists in a state of constant unrelenting fury. He's the embodiment of the FPS genre, which is fitting as he was one of the originators of it.

>the tiny face that is basically a glorified HP bar is what makes Doomguy a character
I'm on a new laptop so I don't have my reaction image folder but just imagine I posted a seriously dismissive reaction along with this post.

I am so glad i'm not a brony anymore. Darkest part of my life.

>Doomguy, BJ Blazkowics and Duke Nukem?

They're memers.

Anyone who has read the books knows John had a hard life and there is actually something to love underneath the suit.

>Doomguy is only beloved this much on Cred Forums and /vr/
Someone's not into Doomworld and such
>People who grew up with Doom are in their 30's by now.
delet this

And?

BJ has solid characterization in TNO and TOB.

>anymore

How the fuck do you even get to that point

Kek, this delusion

Which makes them an average gamer.

So he's not generic

Fucking retard.

>Videogame books

>le jew who doesn't look like a jew and is against le evil nazis

Seems pretty forced and generic.

You could say the same thing for the Doomguy, or Flynn Taggart.

I'd give him a BJ, no homo

gameskinny.com/y3xwb/master-chief-the-single-most-boring-protagonist-in-history

quality posts, expected nothing less from a halo fan

You don't wanna know... and i hope it doesn't happen to anybody else.

>le space murine had le sad childhood
Having no argument is pretty easy, isn't it?
That' pretty hyperbolic, from the title alone.

>Missing the point that hard

You'd be right, normally.

However fall of reach came out before Halo CE did, you could argue that Halo are videogames based on a book, since the books are even better than the games and came first.

Usually videogame books are made after a game is a success and shitty writers want to cash on in a franchise's success, not the case here, Nylund wrote the halo novels for the sake of expanding the lore and writing quality military sci fi, then writers like Karen Traviss came a long and that's another story.

Yes he is, at that time no FPS protag had a personality and were just empty vessels for players. What the hell are you talking about?

he is

halo 3 was the last game though

>"However fall of reach came out before Halo CE did"
>implying it wasn't just marketing.

If Doomguy was the only armoured marine character in games at the time, he wan't generic by definition. And he isn't generic today because they gave him a pretty fun personality in the new game.

His characterization was run of the mill in tno

BJ was doomguy before doomguy, which shows how generic both are.
He's pretty handsome in tno though

Every spartan had a sad childhood, what makes john a cool character is that he develops a new family through the books and in the games you get to control him in this chaotic period during the combine-human war where everyone is spread apart.

>Marketing
>With fucking books

You're stupid. They wanted to create a series people would care about, and since the games didn't have enough time to develop character personalities, they made the books for that. The shitty tv show they made for halo 5 was marketing. No substance, mainstream media, big names and flashy effects for maximum profits.

They were characters back then, Gordon Freeman, Doomguy, Duke Nukem all were characters on his own.

Master Chef is just a faceless walking armor, it's hardly even a character. Just a basic playermodel

reminder that bungie hated the books and tried to get them canned before release

He doesn't even have a name, he's generic. You can make the same argument with Halo 4 and 5 giving Chief a personality regardless of how you felt about it.

>this entire post

If you cared about it you would know that it's better this way

Sense of belonging to a group, making friends out of it, that sort of thing. It's almost like a cult, but not as bad as something like SJWs. Not that guy btw, but similar. I just keep it to myself mostly these days, don't associate with anything that's part of "the fandom".

It was for the best. Halo 3 was shit.

bad post

the only character there with any semblance of personality is duke

>His characterization was run of the mill in tno
I don't know, having him be a melodramatic meathead who constantly narrates to himself is pretty fun, and the fact that he sucks at everything EXPECT being an action hero is a neat idea: Even if he wins, what would BJ do if there wasn't any more ass to kick? Not saying it's brilliant or anything, but I enjoyed it for what it was. VO was pretty solid too.

Yeah bungie is shit whose only saving grace was a good art style and godtier composer and who ride on the shoulders of much better writers, we know. 343 has the right idea, too bad they have no talent so even if they have good intentions no good comes out of it.

this

if they had found a way to translate his crazy comic depiction to the game he would have alot more fans(like Douk) but for the most part he acted as an self-insert of sorts up until the most recent game.

pretty sure the average gamers are people >25 yrs old who like whatever triple-A GoTY trash and Indie garbage gets shoved into their face by their favorite Youtubers.

pretty sure kids now days are more likely to know Minecraft Steve/Freddy Fazbear over Mario or Dante.

>has never played the games in his life
He's not wrong.

Stay delusional

>he doesn't have a name
*sniff* acshually in the novels...

What personality in Halo 4 and 5?

>Source: my ass

>He's pretty handsome in tno though
I like to think that because Doomguy is his descendant he has a similar face in D44M.

>PC cunts think FPS characters of the 90s when they were just mindless killing machines for player to put their shitty personalities in
Why are PC Cunts so mentally challenged?

Doomguy kind of has a similar model in the new game, from what little you can see.

>pretty fun personality
>personality
I bet he loved the soldier guy in the Godzilla reboot

Go to bed, Australia.

In Doom 2016? yeah, they gave the Doomguy a personality.

But at least they are characters, just like Mario or Samus, MC is just literally a faceless walking armor, there is no one behind that armor because they just want "the player" to self insert, works good for a shooter game, but pretending to be it's a real character or trying to give him personality is just plain retarded.

Yo PC Cunts see and kill yourselves.

Not an argument

To those who grew up playing halo, yes.

Go hang yourself PC Cunts and stop making fucking threads about Halo if you don't know shit about it? You PC Cunts are a fucking joke as bad as Sony faggots.

Try harder than this, I know you can.

MC has way more of a character and personality then doomguy

you do realize there are like 20+ halo novels, right? Not many of them have MC as the protagonist, but a few do.

Yep. Wish somebody would extract it so we can examine it further.

Not anymore.

343 turned him into a babby.

Even the characters in the game dont respect him

How so?

Try harder than baiting your no character Demon Slayer, faggot.

Anger is a personality, user.
>when they were just mindless killing machines for player to put their shitty personalities
Except for when they make character choices outside of the control of the player's actions.
Such as Duke Nukem giving a specific one-liner to a situation, or Doomslayer punching the fuck out of the Argent Energy Siphon.
Even Gordon Freeman shows a bit about his character the way he tries to poke the little bug things when he holds them.

>Karen Traviss came a long and that's another story.

The travis halo novels get more shit then they deserve.

Glasslands and Thursday War were fine, if a bit sub par for halo novels.. Only mortal dictata was actually bad

In any case all the books since them have been fall of reach tier or better.

>people actually think D44mguy isn't Doomguy who is also the Doom Slayer

I read a shitty fan theory once that BJ from TNO is the Doomguy in the new game, after how the former game ended.

Trying to intentionally talk like a 12 year old will only get people already in a shitty mood, user.

Not sure I understand your question

I'm saying that since as a protag in many of the novels, he's given a personality in those, even if in the games he doesn't have much personality beyond action movie one liners.

That's all I was saying. There's not really much more to clarify other then that.

Please, Noble Six or fucking Gordon Freeman are player stand-ins/self-inserts, but Master Chief says too much to be one of those.

How does MC have more of a personality? He does by default if were just taking Doom 1/2 and the Halo trilogy into account, but I'd argue otherwise if the Doom novels and 2016 are allowed into the discussion, as well as the EU Halo stuff and 343 games,

Picture Doomguy, Samus, Mario, Freeman all doing normal activites, Eating, swimming, studying, working... You can

Picture Master chief doing the above? You can't! why?

Because it's just an armor, a playermodel. This is the difference from characters and playermodels, a character can do anything without any player input, MC can not, without the player is nothing, there is no character behind, MC didn't create a character, just a playermodel in which they later did sad attemps to give him any kind of personality.

>Except for when they make character choices outside of the control of the player's actions.
Oh wow you just explained what Master Chief does in his Halo games, can you shut the fuck up now you sound like a glorified retard that can't tell the difference between a player controlled character and character with personality. It's clear as day your faggot is not a Halo fan since you seem to not know shit about the novels, comics or games and since you basically have no understanding of the Halo Universe you seem to believe the shit that comes out of your own anus.

I didn't know there were doom novels

Are they good?

Oldfag here.

Both are beloved but about ten years separates their fanbases, with some doomfags becoming halofags later. Anyone born in the 90's probably missed out on the original doom but was around in time to see Doom 3, so MC is probably going to be more dear to them.

I adore both characters, I have fond memories playing as both. Anyone who isn't both, missed out on some good times.

It's the action movie one liners that give him his personality. It's not much of one, but it does show a degree of collected calmness in combat, and his interactions with Cortana make him one of those "rock" characters, the guy everyone can rely on.

The Halo 3 level "Cortana" when Master Chief fights through the massive Flood infection on High Charity to rescue Cortana from the Gravemind, the cutscene where he actually saves her, watch that and tell me there isn't some personality in that set of GEN-I Mjolnir Mark VI powered armor.

Yes, it's generic as fuck, but to say it isn't a personality is just wrong.

Doomguy is too rip and tear to do anything outside of kill demons.
Samus I could, but that's mostly because of all the fan art.
Mario isn't a character and neither is Freeman.

The Master Chief on the other hand wouldn't be doing normal activities. He's been in the military since he was abducted by ONI and pushed into the SPARTAN-II training program. He's not a normal person, he's been used as a weapon his entire life and couldn't do normal stuff.

>but to say it isn't a personality is just wrong.

user, I was defending him and explaining he does have a personality, just that it's way more apparent in the novels then the games

>Picture Doomguy, Samus, Mario, Freeman all doing normal activites, Eating, swimming, studying, working... You can
If you want a character driven experience from any of these characters then maybe you should be playing something else.

Sorry, I didn't mean to really direct it at any one person and just used your post to pop open the QR box.

You have to understand iD's mindset and the reason he doesn't have a name or a face. They've never believed in narrative story telling. iD wants the experience to be the story, YOUR story as the Doomguy. That's why they put everything they had at the time in the engine, gameplay and embracing the mod scene.

>Picture Doomguy, Samus, Mario, Freeman all doing normal activites, Eating, swimming, studying, working...
Nigga for the longest time I couldn't picture Agent 47 doing that shit.

>all this halo defending
>didn't say a thing about halo
I'm not the user you think I am.

BJ
Doomguy
Duke Nukem
Gordon Freeman
Master Chief
Call of Duty guy

This is the canon lineage.

Honorable mention to DC Denton and the Team Fortress 2 cast.

>Samus
I just realized you said this, Samus for the most part is just as much of a machine as the Master Chief. She does jobs that no one else would do just cause and barely has any interactions with normal humans since she was raised by space birds. She is very close to Master Chief at that, with the only form of personal life we got from her was Zero Mission's endings.

>we are done here
Holy fuck why did I laugh so hard?

>Oldfag he-
stopped reading

You're talking about the Master Chief right, then you are talking about Halo genius.

whats wrong with wearing a cape

no
yes
maybe

Guess what, that's what Bungie wanted with Master Chief, WOW!

>Stopped reading.
Sounds like the story of your entire generation.

Yes.

I never mentioned Master Chief. You did.
I mentioned Doomslayer, Duke Nukem, and Gordon Freeman.

Courageous, deadpan wisecrack, caring, A man that found his humanity through an ai. Before that he was a machine in the bungie games and cortana was the only outlet of humanity when no unsc soldiers were around, she and laski reminded him that he's not a machine in 4.
John and Spartans in general have a reason why he's an empty husk like doom guy, canonically, not just player projection, he was part of the spartan project where they would experiment on kids and indoctrinate them into killing machines,it's all on h4 intro. They even acknowledge how they develop mental issues or "lack of basic humanity" because of it.
Bj and duke have personalities but not doom guy unless you're counting the outsource stuff, which is what people usually throw around for halo, ironically, but halo 4 changed that.
Despite what people think of 343, halo 4 is the best story wise and it made chief interesting for once.

Doom guy kills to stop demons which is good because he's helping humanity like the chief does but that's about it, he's more machine than human, and doom '16 shows that with Samuel, a ghost in a machine having a personality unlike doom guy

Where's the Quake Ranger?

>of MY entire generation
ftfy

bungie wanted master chief to be just an empty shell that players could put themselves in akin to doom guy, his old self is adored though not as much as doom guy and the less said about 343 chief the better.

The only way you don't know about those is being a consolefag only, and then you'll probably know the halo guy or some other shitty wannabe character

Bullshit. Replaying the original trilogy makes me feel like it's a love story between MC and fucking Cortana

my 13 yr old little bro loves him because of D44M

No, Bungie wanted you to follow along the story of Master Chief and his wiley crew of expendable marines on their adventure to fight snarky religious fanatic aleums and sentient flesh eating bubblegum and spare the Earf.

Doomguy was made plain because they wanted you to insert yourself and then indulge in the carnage.

>He thinks I'm under 32 years old.
I'd love to get into a generation war with you but you seem like another boring memer so I'm moving onto more clever shitposters.

too busy killing shit to participate in a stupid survey. those characters are ego whores

>he's over 32 years old on an anonymous imageboard talking about instead of playing videogames
>most likely has played WoW since release
I'd rather be a shitposter than you at this point.

""We left-out details to increase immersion; the less players knew about the Chief, we believed, the more they would feel like the Chief," explained Bungie lead writer Joseph Staten to Industry Gamers."

eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-02-bungie-why-master-chief-hardly-speaks

Maybe you should think about killing yourself you retarted cunt.

D44M just really needs to fix it's engine so it can have more hordes of monsters and roaming monsters in the map.
Other than that I really liked the music, map design, and even the upgrades but they should just make them map finds instead of something you just buy in the menu. Like the weapon bots.

That's strange, we happen to be talking about the game that helped pioneer this type of story telling in shooters. An ancient dweeb named Carmack famously championed the idea that story in video games was like story in porn, which made every cinematic experience fanboy's asshole suck 4 inches into their body and started a fight that lasted years on the internet about how story should be told in video games. The guys at Bungie all happened to be doom fans too, y'know. They enjoyed the formula so much they created their own generic, faceless, voiceless space Marine in an old game we call Marathon.

Thanks for making my argument for me against . Next time you spout about Doomguy being generic, remember the article you linked to me calling Master Chief the same thing by intentional design.

Doomguy is simple and that's what makes him so great.
>Disobeys orders that go against his beliefs (shooting on civis, why he's shipped to bumfuck-Mars.)
>Still listened to his squad leader to stay in the car as they all go in.
>Then fucking goes in after watching them all get slaughtered.
>Proceeds to clear our the base. Dies in an ambush though since he's just too good.
>Proceeds to Kratos his way through Hell cause one of them left a simple pistol.
>Kills Hell so bad that they send him back to Earth. Straight up off their Hell-planet too.
>But oh wait. Now Earth is hell too.
>Welp. You know what time it is.
>Clears out a spaceport so some civis and survivors can get the hell outta dodge.
>Sits back and chills after doing that, cracking open a beer and watching the world end.
>Oh wait. You get called in and told that that there's a source.
>Your hometown.
>One last run.
>You clear out your hometown of demons and hell's denizens before diving back into their hometown and going face to face with a giant goat face-demon.
>Proceed to unload rocket justice on his brain.
>Save Earth and probably the galaxy from Hell.
Doomguy is the best guy.

me too user. I don't even watch the show anymore... I just read fanfiction. That's probably worse to be honest

Fuck that I turn 22 this month and I grew up with Doom 2. It was probably the first game I had the graces to put my fingers onto when I was like 3 or so. That, Operation Flashpoint, and Soldier of Fortune 2 were my shit when I was like 5-8. Thanks Dad.

Don't worry we all read fanfic of our favorite fandoms. I've done it for big and small things I've loved.
Inuyasha has some really good ones.