Squall is Dead

I'm not new to the theory. I never found it all that interesting until this morning when I decided to watch "creepy" videos on /x/ and youtube. Pic related gave me the creeps, and one part of the theory made me think.

The creators of squallisdead claim that the monsters in disk 1 are more realistic (and less fantasy-based) than the monsters in the later disks, and while looking through the bestiary the most realistic mobs you encounter - of course - are the soldiers and robots, and you encounter those through the entire game. In disk 1 several monsters stand out, particularly with their "Scan" information. Fastitocalon-F's description says that the fin can be seen, and in theory that it's a shark. When you see a fin in the water and think shark, you think of impending doom. T-Rexaur can't be mistaken for anything but a T-Rex. Dinosaurs are often used to represent pre-historia, but also extinction. The description of the bite bug tells you to stay calm, which makes me think of swarming bees. If you panic you're going to get stung more. Impending death. And of course there are the "Creeps" whose description says plainly that if you kill them they'll kill you, and the Forbidden who don't fear death but inflict it in one touch.

On the other hand the monsters seen in disk one are no more or less fantastical than the ones seen in later disks. Yoshinori Kitase was asked about many fan theories and his replies were mainly "you're thinking too much into it." Monster encounters are naturally going to imply death, yes... but how much of this do you think was intended?

I remember something about one of the creators thinking the theory was interesting and worth considering making it into canon should anything FF8 ever come up again

Same guy. He said he'd probably use that narrative in a remake.

if i was a kid and saw pic related i'd shit myself and be traumatized

It's presented in a very creepy way too.

None, faceless Squall is just a link to the final boss. If they intended him to be dead in the beginning there would have been a flashy melodramatic reveal in the ending cutscene.

Alternatively the ending cutscenes and other key points in the story could have been presented in a way to either touch on common phobias or to instill melancholy. I see what you're saying though with that image.

Squall got iced in the shoulder in a setting that has magic healing and superscience, why the fuck would he have died from that? People keep pushing this 'theory' because they are cynics and don't like the plot of discs 2-4. Except the plot doesn't change. Witches? In disc 1. Time travel? In disc 1. Esthar and Lunatic Pandora? In disc 1. Cid's real reason for founding garden? In disc 1 and it just goes on like that. The idea that Squall is dead turns disc 1 into complete nonsense because there are so many plot threads that go nowhere.

I tend to agree. I think the theory is derived from misinterpreted themes in the game.

Dumb theory that I never liked. Rinoa is ult is also confirmed noncanon.

>2018
>people are STILL posting this bullshit theory over and over again
>I seriously hope you guys don't do this.jpg

Anyway here is food for thought for people taking Squall is dead seriously:

When Edea spears Squall through the chest she deliberately hits him in the right side(see pic), this is to keep him alive, left chest = dead, center = risking hitting his heart or cutting off trachea. Now at the time Edea is being possessed by Ultimecia who in turn knows about the prophesy of "legendary SeeDs" from past killing her. But she doesn't know which SeeD's. Because of this "Edeamecia" wants to interrogate Squall to find out more about SeeD and the Garden. She needs to find the people who will stop her reign as Sorceress and kill them. Squall and co. are purposely imprisoned kept alive for this. The reason why they interrogate Squall instead of Quistis or Zell is because the interrogation is done by Seifer as "Edeamecia" is busy organizing the missile strikes against the Gardens. Seifer in turn has a grudge against Squall and personally wants to interrogate him because of this. Also Seifer clearly says that he wanted to start with Squall because he "liked" him so much. This is why Squall's life is spared and why he is interrogated by Seifer.

Also why there even is a reason to explain why Squall's wound is healed as it's made by the most adept magic user in order to incapacitate Squall and not kill him. How does that work? It's magic. How was he healed? It's magic. Magic in a FANTASY game in a world where we have curative spells, Phoenix Downs and stuff like that completely healing those wounds is perfectly reasonable. Also as for the actual wound he doesn't look at his bare chest either, so it could be possible that he does have a scar, it's also possible that whatever means used to heal him didn't leave a scar. The thing is we never get to see if there is a scar in there.

>Also why there even is a reason to explain why Squall's wound is healed
You could easily headcanon magic heal, sure. But it is directly mentioned like "where did my wound go" as if it was really surprising for Squall to see his wound just disappearing, that is what makes it especially fishy.

If you are older than 15 you should feel embarrassed for posting this. Just completely grasping at straws.

The failed assassination was kino though, we can all agree about that, no?

>‘(...Where am I? I...challenged Edea... My wound...? No wound...? How...? The Galbadian soldiers... ...We were surrounded. He was there... Seifer, leering down at me.) "Damn you, Seifer!"’

He could just be asking how he was healed, as in who or what healed him instead of it being unheard of.

I'm used to shitposting but your post lacks any substance what-so-ever. You should be proud.

>creator says a fan theory is stupid
>people keep speculating wildly about the same theory

At the end of the day art (video games are art) is going to mean whatever the person viewing the art wants it to mean. The creator has little say over it.

Which theory was he referring to? I heard one of the devs shut down the rinoa is ultimecia theory but nothing else.

Squall is dead theory. And yeah he shut down that and Aeris coming back to life theory etc.

Damn you are just sperging out super hard, huh?

>doesn’t know what shitposting is
>just calls anything she doesn’t like shitposting

Woof

And still not a single interesting word written or posted.

Wrong. If there is a deliberate message, and you misinterpret it, you're wrong. Period.

I remember reading that long time ago. 1st, he didn't die from shoulder stab. 2nd, monsters on disk 1 and 2 are equally bizzare. 3rd, it's just a game with bad writing.

I disagree.

My view of the matter is the same as it's always been. If Squall was dead the game is good (not even great), because the integration with the gameplay and story both being incredibly uncomfortable would be a huge achievement demanding of respect. If Rinoa is Ultimecia there would be some cohesion to the story, which is then only awful. I have always refused to believe either of these are true and therefore FFVIII is instead the worst game and story ever created. This is overwhelmingly certain to be the case.

Kitase may have now disproved both theories and may change the former into plausible in a hypothetical remake, but that will never change the true original and the intent.

It's ever so slightly possible Kitase was saying things more certainly than he really was entitled to, after all in the same interview he was pretty wishy-washy about the VII-X connection even if it has been treated as true in creation of Dirge of Cerberus in implication, even if not straight said out loud, so they can still retain an out and say it was some other thing in the future.

As an aside I find the situation strange. Kitase should've said nothing for the same reason Nintendo shouldn't have revealed a Zelda timeline, the fans discourse over the theories was pushing the game and he had no reason to interfere.

>disc 1 creatures are more realistic

There's one that rolls you up into a basketball

fucking kek

I forget which XI developer it was but he was asked if certain items when carried improved drop rates, as well as moon phases, as well as a few other fan theories and he laughed and said it was better if he neither confirmed nor denied them because he didn't want to disappoint customers. Not his exact wording but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Also I feel the game does succeed in creating a melancholy feel to it, whether or not the theory is true.

even though it's been proved wrong, i like to believe it anyway because it makes the awful story much much better.

Daily reminder to retards believing Squall is dead theory:

Squall didn't die at the end of disc 1 he died during the opening FMV from the wound he got from taking Seifer's gunblade to his head when he got distracted from the battle by daydreaming about random fields and women.

Think about it, the story takes on a dream-like quality that centers itself on Squall and everything Squall has ever wanted way before the end of disc 1:
-Squall is considered to be the best student at Balamb Garden
-He has a sexy teacher who is trying to get into his pants
-He passes the SeeD graduation exam instead of Seifer, a much more experienced and potentially superior rival.
-Fighting the sorceress with two people as a new seed when the entire organization of SeeD is supposed to train the few dozen who had already made that rank to kill her.
-Etc...

Its similar but less bleak than the generally circulated version because at that point Squall has had zero time to meet and get acquainted with FF8s crew.

Final Fantasy VIII is like Metal Gear Solid 2. Masterpiece that is being shit on by a vocal minority that didn't understand it or expected a clone of previous game. The worst Final Fantasy game is XIII btw, and I would even agreed with you if you've said that XIII probably the worst combination of gameplay and story ever produced in an AAA title.

Is that imagine your OC? I saw it a while ago and it made me replay FFVIII after having it only play once back when it came out. Really good game.

I saved it a long time ago but post it now and then so it was probably me. I am glad it served the purpose.

Rinoa being Ult makes a lot more sense than the shitty Squall is Dead theory, what the fuck is wrong with these devs?

XIII is the second worst in the series. (I haven't and won't be playing XV within a decade, because it seems like a combination of the worst parts of VIII and XII, so I'm frankly terrified. I honestly suspect it would dethrone VIII after these nearly two decades. And I'm not emotionally ready for that either.) However it does have the worst telling of the story in the series.

>the worst combination

No. They're both harmoniously unengaging and meaningless pretense with no substance. There's no, I can't think of a proper words to describe this but, conflict between how they feel. I actually really enjoyed the sequels. For the opposite reasons though.

Neither aspect comes close to the depths of VIII's counterparts. VIII has nine redeeming qualities, while XIII has none, but when you tally up the misery, VIII has XIII beat for me.

>tips

>trying this hard to justify one of the worst stories in all of media

"i-it's a good game, user, i swear....."

I'm kinda glad that you seem to be posting the image I made few years ago in FFVIII threads but you really should give a context for it when posting it or name it something like GF amnesia totally comes out of nowhere and isn't foreshadowed at all.png

Come on, man. I have known those minute details, such as Adel transmissions and the stable timeloop, since I played the game twice back to back in 1999 (In order to try to make sense of the fact that a human being would ever choose to tell this story unless they were a lunatic.). The connections were easily added into the previous/later scenes after the whole story was created. Nifty details are just that nifty. The problem is that the whole story is nonsensical and is more interested in introducing new exciting set pieces and forgetting the last one immediately when it's over. This creates a schizophrenic story that has no guiding direction. Anything can happen at random.

And yes, the real explanation for all of the convenience in the story is the great conceit of a writer, fate. Fate can explain everything, every coincidence and people reacting in certain desired ways.

This reasoning's dumb for multiple reasons. A lot of the monsters in disk 1 are very fantastical already and it stands to reason that in a Final Fantasy games the later monsters would look much more imposing. Also you can get cards of many of the monsters that show up much later on. All those scan infos are taken long before he actually gets stabbed, so if it was really connected it would hint at those things afterwards.