When will this shitty genre die?

When will this shitty genre die?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-mXQlO4iUf0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hopefully never

Neither of those things are genres.

It's you that made that other thread You don't want to argument anymore?

Do you also hate chess?

Holy shit you came back quicker than I thought. Can’t resist the (You)s?

/Thread

Only retard millennials think Jrpg is a genre.
And turned based combat is just the style of fighting in the game.

OP is actually retarded.

It is dead already.

Name one original major turn based JRPG released last year.

Persona 5

Hopefully never ever since nips can make them with a shoestring budget

It's shit even by jrpg standards.

>ironic weeb trash
kys

No OP, we need it to survive, its a containment genre. You dont want those retards to come over actual fun games and shit them with "muh tactical" and so on

t. Ironic 4channer

They are just baiting. No one is actually so retarded to think jrpgs require strategy.

wrpgs don't require strategy either

Fire emblem

I agree OP we need more lootbox shooters

No. We need more ARPGS. DD2 fucking when, Itsuno?

JRPG is barely a genre, it's just saying its an RPG from Japan and it doesn't say anything about the actual design of the game you're playing.

Turnbased Combat isnt quite a genre either, its more of a mechanical construction of the gameplay loop. You're inputting tactics for characters for them to execute during their turn or based on speed/ ATB. Some usually incoporate elements of action games like action commands or active time battle systems.

Chrono Trigger, Shin Megami Tensei 3 and Paper Mario are all "Turnbased" "JRPGs" and they all play differently and have different combat systems.

They at least require skill.

>Chrono Trigger, Shin Megami Tensei 3 and Paper Mario are all "Turnbased" "JRPGs" and they all play differently and have different combat systems.
>menu simulator
>menu simulator
>menu simulator
WOW HOW DIFFERENT

>turn based combat is just the style of fighting
So shooter or fps aren't a genre neither?
Are you actually retarded?

Making Doom with turn based combat makes a totally different game.
>but the point of doom is kill demons, who cares how you do it?

Whoever thought turn based combat would be fun if you removed the aspect of movement and positioning was a fucking idiot and deserves to be gassed

>Menu simulator
Thanks for showing youre a complete brainlet when it comes to game systems. Theres more going on underneath and above the actual system than just menus.
A game might be focused on buffing and utilizing the most out of your turns, it might be focused on combining actions of your allies, it might be focused on action commands and allow the player to rack up extra points of special meter via optional inputs.

Menu simulation is just boiling down your inputs to basic commands. Theres more that goes into handling the mechanics, principles and feedback loop of an RPG system than just clicking through menus.
Are platformers just collision simulators?
Are action games just quicktime button simulators?
Are puzzle games just shapes and symbols simulators?
Are shooters JUST point and click simulators?

You're not making a stable rebuttal here, retard.

>play FPS
>click on enemy

not him but it's
WOOOSH COMBAT TIME
>[attack][defend]
>[ability]
>[item]
SNAP SNAP SNAP
PING
ANIMEEE KUSAWAIIIIZ!!! PING *lighning strike as character hits enemy slime* *12 damage*

every single fucking time

>play FPS
WWWWWWWWWEEWWWWW
CLICK CLICK CLICK
BANGBANGBANG
ARHRHGGHHHHHHHHGHHHH
*enemy dies after clicking on it*

>[Enemy] Deflects your physical attack
>[You lose all your press turns]
>[Enemy] Boosts Electric damage
>[Enemy] Disables all your electric Resistance
>[Enemy] Uses All-hitting electric attack
>[Enemy] Gains a press turns from hitting an ally on your party with electric weakness
>[Enemy] Uses another All hitting Electric attack

Sure, you're clicking through menus but you're completely ignoring all the things that go into a game's feedback loop.

You're boiling down the quality of the game's design down to it's input option and that isnt indicative of the game's quality.

FPS games are not rail shooters friendo

Turn based combat without movement and positioning is a worthless waste of time
Jap games might as well just cut out the combat, it's clear the only thing they actually care about when making the game is character progression with autistic upgrade grids and cutscenes where half naked anime stereotypes whine and scream at the death of characters you don't give a shit about

>DOOM, Gradius and Fallout 3 all play differently
>shoot enemy
>shoot enemy
>shoot enemy
WOW HOW DIFFERENT

>FPS games are not rail shooters friendo
Hence why I put the "WWWWWWWWWEEWWWWW" part.

>random encounter with shit mob you have to fight because grinding is fun and good
>use "remove enemy restiance" ability
>blast them with the super strong attack you have and use every single fight
>fading in and out of the shit encounter took longer than defeating this shithead
It's just not fun.

You forgot the part where FPS games require constant mechanical input and skill.
You have to move around, time what you are doing etc

Jap combat is just a waste of time where you already know you will win and how they just make you click through the same menu and select the same shit for the billionth tim because THAT'S HOW WE AWLAYS DONE IT XD

FPS combat is just a waste of time where you already know you will win and how they just make you click through the same brown alley and select the same gun for the billionth time because THAT'S HOW WE AWLAYS DONE IT XD

Neither of the three games the user mentioned actually have "autistic upgrade grids" and "cutscenes where half naked anime stereotypes whine and scream at the death of characters you don't give a shit about" you subhuman retard.

FPS games have evolved.
Look at how Contra and early 3D shooters are different from each other consider the step from sprite based to polygon or the fact that you can't look up and down
Now you have people trying to make VR shooters and so on
The genre evolves as technology progresses

Jap shit doesn't do any of that, it's fancier waifus and nothing else, this trash might as well still be on the NES

Did I refer to those games? No I didn't, fuck off

Action RPGs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Turn Based RPG boring menu autism

And FPS shit is just shittier controls each time

>Turn based combat without movement and positioning is a worthless waste of time
You're allowed to have your shitty opinion, but turn based battle systems are simulating a group combat scenario with numerical values.

If it was an action game, you'd be relying on hitboxes and timing and rarely much of the actual values of each tool you're given.

You're basically using numbers and values to dictate the flow of battle. There's conflict and a story to tell here, it's no more a waste of time than hacking and slashing then dodging then continuing the feedback loop in an action game.

>autistic upgrade grids and cutscenes where half naked anime stereotypes whine and scream at the death of characters you don't give a shit about
You probably haven't played other kinds of Turnbased games then.
Try Mother3, it has a rhythm system to it's combat.
Or the SMT series, it has pressturns
Or Chrono Trigger, it has some neat mechanics for the characters to join up attacks.
Or even the Mario+Luigi games that have real time dodge systems that have you learning enemy patterns and attacks.
Different series spice up the gameplay loop than spam you with upgrade grids.

>because grinding is fun and good
Well if a game requires you to grind then it's probably not a very good game. Theres lots of Turnbased games that don't pressure you to grind and EXP is more or less a reward as the game would naturally scale you.

Yeah you shoot select [shoot] or [walk] from a menu and have anime girls cheer you on as you go

>shoot
kek

should

>This old ps3 low budget capcom rpg has better combat than every Triple A RPG
youtu.be/-mXQlO4iUf0

Last 5 turn based RPG i played had a mostly male party though

>move
>look in direction
>shoot
WOW SO DIFFERENT AND REVOLUTIONARY

>low budget
kek my dude capcoms bigges names worked on that turd

and the combat is ass because they went with the most retarded way possible to calculate damage, making your actions irrelevant and putting all emphasis on what level you are
how fucking dumb do you have to be to make an action game where leveling up once will straight up double all your damage in certain cases

When will your mom stop sucking my dick?

Artist?

Your right but not that one.

Action games and Turnbased games can't be compared you fucking brainlet.

They both have different gameplay loops and what you're saying boils down to preference.

>and the combat is ass because they went with the most retarded way possible to calculate damage, making your actions irrelevant and putting all emphasis on what level you are
>WTF I'm low level and can't beat end game enemies!
Go play your Souls trash

Dragon Quest XI, it's damn good too.

Too bad like 5% of Action RPGs released are actually fun. If there was more fun stuff you might have a point.

Turn Based games literally only exist because the tech at the time didn't allow for real time combat.

>fps games have evolved
You mean now day fps are different than the older ones? So itsn't revolving around me pressing the lmb and killing the npcs? every fps is literally the same press the button to win.

Hes right

Skill should always be > stats

>FF XV was supposed to BTFO Turn-based fags forever
>It was Tales Of tier gameplay quality in the end

>407224827
>because the tech at the time didn't allow for real time combat.
Oh, like Zelda 2?

Stop being retarded.

DD2 WHEN???

Action rpgs came first

In FPS, the menu shows up in you mind instead of on screen, but there's still a menu there. All games are turn based.

you make the damage reduction percentage based you retarded fucking gook
of course you shouldn't blast through the game at level one but going from level 23 to level 24 resulting in me doing twice my damage to some fucking ogre is just fucking retarded
i have all the fancy skill moves but none of my actions influence damage anywhere near as much as my level does, that's complete and total fucking failure as an action game

gr8 b8 m8, Action RPGs existed before TB RPGs

In both FPS and Turnbased and Action games
Pressing a button results on an action that whittles down enemy HP

So all games are turnbased.

>muh FFXV

A disney ff fic game already surpass that shit and all turn based shit years ago.

All XV needed to be was a more polished KH game in terms of combat, but Tabata's old-man-hands wouldn't have any of that.

>Skill should always be > stats
Incorrect

Skill is your own and Statistics are mechanics of game design.

Your skill is always challenged and statistics are managed by said skill.
Your skill to manage your stats and determine the best outcome in battle determines your victory.

If you're talking about reflexes then reflexes are not required unless the game asks for it or youre going for speedrunning.

Having good reflex skills but shit statistic handling skills just means you're shit when it comes to managing statistics and you're just a dexterous brainlet.

is that one of the hollow knight vessels?

>Western RPGs and Japanese RPGs having enough of a distinction to be separate genres when the only things they are different at is graphics/artstyle

Nothing wrong with turnbased you attention deficit mongrel

And Dragon's Dogma does a poor fucking job at all of that you retard

Not to mention it's a fucking action game (or trying to be) where your ACTIONS are in the focus

Is Cred Forums looking forward to this?
I quite liked the first one

Japanese games are also all fucking trash, wouldn't want to lump them in with the good and innovative games

Neat artstyle but an absolute chore to play
No.

>Japanese games are also all fucking trash
Imagine being this retarded

Fucking westaboo mad that Japan has beaten your ass the whole past year

Man, you're retarded. You can go and fucking finish BBI (which is meant to be an endgame dungeon) from level one. You will just have to do a bit for farming beforehand. But that applies to almost all games.

I think everyone can agree that the word RPG has become so watered down and all-encompassing that its lost its meaning and doesnt ever explain the actual mechanics of the game.

J and W are just places of orgin and even those are vague thanks to the influx of western styled japanese games and vice versa.

>Japanese games are also all fucking trash
>Continues to spout bullshit without anything to back it up
Stop.

People only like Turn Based crap because of muh nostalgia.
Thank they aren't doing that for this remake.

Not to mention Europe.

>all the best WRPGs in years were either made by Nips, Slavs and other Europoors

Please don't insult Tales combat by comparing it to that garbage.

Why is Cody so fucking hot?

Yes, because Crisis Core and FF XV were such great games.

This looks like shit. Why is there a pause every 5 seconds?

>minmax every character to the fullest extent
>quit halfway through game
Hell as soon as i discovered encounters in FE Awakening were limited by DLC I stopped. Im not paying five bucks just to breed galeforce onto every character.

I don't get why people bash JRPGs when Japan makes the objectively best real time combat systems out there,

I mean yeah. My point is that most games are about decision making, and being real-time just requires you to react in a shorter period of time, which isn't always a good thing.

For example, in Dark Souls the options you have is still attack, defend(block/roll), and item, like in a turn-based game. Maybe you could count moving around as a fourth option, but you can also do that in a SRPG.

I really like turn based combat but only if there's movement
That's the best part and flanking enemies, protecting your back line and so on is so satisfying

I really just don't understand why you would get rid of that, makes combat feel stiff and boring and no amount of waifus will rectify that for me

>Games made by fucking ex-communist slavs in a basement are better games than AAA western and eastern games

Etrian Odyssey 5

Too bad slavs can't optimise their fucking games.

>Maybe you could count moving around as a fourth option
>maybe
are you fucking dumb my man

and the thing is that the enemy also does that shit and you react, you don't just sit around and politely wait for everyone to be done attacking

>ITT: Waaah, I don't like this type of game, delete this :(

But why? You don't even need any of that to beat the game. Hell, Fire Emblem isn't even about grinding skills.

You can do eugenics without DLC, because that's how I did it.

>epic meme localisation so bad people couldn't even understand what happened in the ending of the localized game

Fucking Atlus.

>This looks like shit.
Yet you're not explaining how it looks like shit.

>Why is there a pause every 5 seconds?
I dunno, why do YOU think theres a pause? Have you ever played a fighting game or action game or any kind of game in the last 5 years?

I agree that games are about decision making though I was kinda poking fun at your comment with my post.

Theres more that goes into games like Dark Souls and Doom and Disgaea and even SMT than selecting options to attack. Many games have options for resistance or evasion or blocking

>politely wait for everyone
The retard shows up again.
Forgetting that turnbased combat is an active simulation based on values, not hitboxes/timing.
Damage your characters take, evasions they make and critical hits they do are based on statistics and you as a player need to use your skills at managing stats to get the best outcome.
Jesus its like you don't know what the focus of a Turnbased system is.

I still don't know how I managed to win this battle

>I want to be level 10/10/15/15/15/15/15/20 with multiple Tier 2 class skills to beat the final boss and his enemies who are at level 20/20 with basic skills

Nigger how much of a crutch do you even need when the game's difficulty was built around NOT grinding?

Enemies in turn-based games also do different things that you need to pick different option against them. It's not some action games exclusive feature.
>wait
You could set a timer when you play turn-based games, if you want it to be more action-like.

Disgusting Dunkey drones

It's realy bad, though

Pokemon Ultrasun/Ultramoon

Dunkey is a faggot Nintendo shill, the dude just praised Odyssey relentlessly even though it was objectively worse than the Galaxy games

They don't do it while I'm doing my shit though
They politely wait until I'm done, then I watch them do their thing and then I "react" when they aren't doing anything and sitting back sitting back sipping tea

I hated the first one but this one looks way better and I'll give it a shot

>all these people shitting against turn-based combats

you guys don't like strategy? you just prefer to smash buttons like crazy? then go play tekken or something like that I dunno

Because my brain came out wrong
We're talking about minmaxing and grinding to the point of getting a single skill on nearly the entire cast, not normal eugenics.

Yes, and I do not know of any games that randomly pause every 5 seconds for no apparent reason.

>localization so bad it ruins the story and lore and even simple conversations are now full of random swear words or slang

Sometimes I wonder how there people are even allowed to hold jobs when the work they produce is beyond incompetent.

neck yourself my man

I like turn based combat when it has movement and you need to position your guys
The standing around thing that jap games like to do just isn't fun for me

>I like turn based combat when it has movement and you need to position your guys

Not him but it sounds like you enjoy stuff like Fire Emblem then.

I like turn-based games because they're relaxing.

no

I've been meaning to emulate one, but I've never actually played any Fire Emblem because I'm not a portable game type of person
Don't see myself playing video games on the bus

I was thinking more of HoMM type combat or isometric RPG's, maybe you could even throw Xcom in there although you can't see all the enemies or the entire board from the start
Expeditions Conquistador and Viking have that sort of hex grid moving around taking turns combat as well and I've been playing them recently

As far as JRPG's go I tried a couple times and just couldn't get into them
Apparently the characters are supposed to be anime stereotypes and the part you enjoy is how they play with those conventions and subvert them, but I just don't see the appeal in that, and as I mentioned the standing around combat isn't my thing either
That said I've been meaning to play Grandia 2 because it apparently has "the best combat in any JRPG ever and a not shit story too" or at least that's how it was sold to me
That and Shining Force 2 although I can't remember why I wanted to play Shining Force

Its because i liked the galeforce mechanic, which allowed users to move again after getting a kill.

The day grampapa dies in Japan

>caring about the story in EO

I guess someone figured out what easy bait this was today

Japs actually do tend to make a lot of SRPGs. Try Final Fantasy Tactics if you haven't.

Died around FF8 with that.

Now it's back to fps as the medium for large journey stories. A full circle from static screens and text describing the scene. Complex interaction and problem solving might be worth reviving, especially when using gloves or having your hands tracked becomes an option.

2nd person shooters are still playable, but platforming is less cinematic in that style. Focusing on everything else makes the depiction of the main character like a seperation from the world.

Tactics or gambits as they are known in FFXII make repedative attack selection obsolete, players can set responses to situations for their allies and refine them or have them set by devs.

The appeal of killing weaker things is a draw for asianics, brought up on notions that all life is exploitation, who can destroy something is superior. They don't see the value in harmony or decency. I blame money. Better to bank with the world than with an anti christian religion like buddhism-judaism.

Be nice to things and they can be more relaxed, built to enjoy life whilst improving life in general.

"Combat is boring" I guess is reserved to being an attitude of the winners of wars.

It's nice to see nice things. Adventure is good gameplay.

Finding out how to get past an area is entertaining as long as it doesn't take long enough for the area to become boring.

Money aside, low quality cartoons, known as 'flash' or 'animu' took focus away from art. Artists gave up or conformed, totally betrayed by the public and profiteerers.

Doing things for money instead of the thing injects problems into the world. Such people need, but don't deserve help to become human and discover their talent, it isn't what they do.

In short it came, it went, best not to let the opportunists divert your attention from the potential and triumphs of humanity.

>story

Not story, user I don't care of the butcher the Untold game's story modes. The worldbuilding and atmosphere and lore. EO has a shit ton of cool background lore and worldbuilding.

Speaking of Turn Based JRPGs, anyone playing Dissidia Opera Omnia?

It's surprisingly fucking fun considering it's a mobile spinoff gacha game meant to promote a fighting game.

I'm also impressed with how they managed to write each character in a way that felt natural for them.

I dunno, I can't stop fucking playing.

How would you make an innovative turn-based combat system. What would you add to make it stand out from the rest?

>shitty phone game made for advertising has various weapon models for characters
>big budget console and arcade game doesn't

Also this. Getting a rare pull feels really satisfying as a result.

They're also handing out the premium currency like candy right now which is nice.

Playstation Emulators are good, right? They never re-released that game if I remember right
I'll try it at some point because I like the genre in it's Western incarnation, also thought about trying that Disgaea PC game because people said it was worthwhile
But how "Square" is FF Tactics? I'm asking because I feel like I sort of have a strong dislike for Final Fanatasy and general Square Enix type of things, I've only been exposed to their less glorious efforts like 13, 10 and Last Remnant though

Jrpgs should just be called rpgs since japs invented the rpg genre.

Now? I'd make it more or less traditional. Follow FFX's combat model and make a unique world instead.

Right now "traditional" systems are actually really rare so I think it would stand out a lot compared to all the games who feel the need to shake things up.

If I were to make a JRPG I'd start by having less meaningless encounters for the sake of grind or item looting, also we make fights about multiple
And have a hex grid where your lads move around instead of standing still and less anime (some anime is ok but you don't want too much)
Basically I would not make a JRPG

That's like saying all cheese should be called parmesan, Jap RPG's are a subgenre of RPG's which would include any and all RPG's

Easy on the reddit spacing champ
And nobody wants to play under water ball games

about multiple enemies instead of one big man more often as far as the important encounters are concerned
lost part of my post there haha :)

There are many layers to what's wrong with that statement.

An RPG is just a Role Playing Game. If you have some control over how your character grows and progresses, it can at least loosely be defined as an RPG.

JRPGs follow a bit of a formula, where you have an overworld, then secluded battle segments in which a party of characters battles a party of enemies. Those elements are what generally make a JRPG unique from other types of RPGs.

>2nd person shooters
Explain

>innovative
I dunno, but I'd like an SMT game with Trails' positioning stuff.

Might mean shit like Contra or Metal Slug

Metroid Prime trilogy on the Wii does turn based right.

Move through an interesting landscape and when something attacks you, you avoid it or push through it.

Gaining abilities instead of 'exp'. Everything is having it's turn, your interrupt should be well thought out or ironically entirely fresh, unassuming.

It's complicated attack may push you back or draw you in. It waits patiently for you to make a decision. You may be imperiled by bad decisions.

Multi core has ruined consequential evironmental interaction, when hardware is done properly again taking time to think may return as the equivalent of a turn.

The ideal turn based system is forgiving and nurturing. The real victory is doing your own thing.

PSX emulation is fine. FFT is more like pre VII Final Fantasy which is the game it started to get a lot more anime.

Still don't get this Reddit spacing bullshit. It's just making for easier readability.

And obviously I'm not talking about the minigame when I talk about the combat system. If someone comments on VIII's combat, you don't start whining about the Random rule in Triple Triad you fucking dolt.

Stuff like being able to swap out characters at will, having a clearly defined turn order you can monitor and which is affected by actions you and the enemy take, etc. Things at that are "basic" but tend to get lost in the modern desire to try and evolve the system.

>Trails' positioning stuff.
Could you elaborate on this? Never really got into the Trails games. Got a gameplay vid that demonstrates this?

Can't wait for SMT V to BTFO anti-turnbasedfags

the only jrpg i ever liked was paper mario and superstar saga

Etrian Odyssey but without the 1 or 2 broken abilities every game has, and maybe with more clases

Just downloaded it today, it's alright. Although I was confused by the "Brave system" cause I was thinking of Bravely Default.

(You)

ITT: A ton of faggy Cred Forums soy posters that don't actually play any turn based games other than Final Fantasy and think their opinion means fuck all while holding FF, babby's first turn based game, on a pedestal.

dunkey stop.
You make it clear you hate turn-based every few videos, man.