Dragon quest 11

now monster hunter is popular in the west
can dragon quest be popular here too

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1fWM4qLuO_E
youtube.com/watch?v=p9sv6nvSwPc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why does DQ games have the best lewed art? Tbqh leads are the only reason I've played any of these games.

DQ looks disgusting.
Toriyama has the most appaling artstyle from all mangakas hands down.

If the free copies that came with Nintendo Power subscriptions and the Final Fantasy XII demo that came with DQ8 couldn't make the franchise mainstream in the west, then I don't know what could.

Square Fucking Enix. It's astounding how the community allows them to be so xenophobic and yet still buy from them. We STILL do not have a release date, or even really know if America is getting a localized version. They said they were working on a translated version, but it's been almost half a year now, for a game with no voice acting.

I just fucking hope so, it looks like a very nice game to me

No.

If the art always looks like that
Yeah

I wanna fuck Martina

>tfw my friend bought DQ8 just for the demo
>to this day he still hasn't played DQ8

>lewd toriyama art
nice

Why is shota so prevalent? I don't see what the big deal is.

>it actually looks like that in-game
Picked up.

Who's the lewdest DQ girl?

New info on DQXI when?

why are there so many doujin of her

i want pafu pafu

Japanese people obsessing over the same shitty series, instead of covering niche series with barely any parodies.

Because it has nothing to offer gameplay wise so might as well just fap

Niche series are niche because they're trash, why would anyone with any kind of talent cover them

Localization news when?

It takes a lot of time to add in stupid accents for every single npc.

What is even her name?

Martina.

Because the moment I see a series name that has over 20 doujins, I just turn away in disgust. The same characters, in the same situations, every time.

i love martina

The reason I have a bodysuit fetish.

There's a reason why nearly every doujinshi is martina getting mind broken by boogie.

because it actually happens in game.

>Dragon Quest
>Popular as MHW
Sure if they made it multiplayer and action combat along with VA.

>bought DQ:B
>Want to start getting into the series

I have so much ground to cover, and they're grindy as hell. Should I use an exp multiplier, or just suffer through it?

That's DQ online but no gaijin allowed

they're honestly not that grindy at all except maybe I-III but just use fast-forward on an emulator for that

Sorry. MH is actually good.

DQ11 won't even be as popular as Nier and Persona is now let alone MHW.

>I want to start getting into the series, should I skip through it as quickly as possible?
I don't know it sounds like you're missing the point of getting into a new series if you're already willing to cheat through it before even knowing if it's really necessary.

Fall 2017. Please look forward to it.

>DB has basically no good bitches
>Everything else Toriyama has ever worked on is full of 10/10s

Not even mad, just confused

It's astounding how much better the DQ series is than the FF series. It really makes you think how FF somehow only got worse after the Square Enix merger.

They're not grindy, so long as you don't start running from battles. Running is okay if you're in a desperate situation, but if you start running because you're annoyed by the encounter rate you're not going to be strong enough to take on bosses. That's when you'll have to start grinding.

Anyhow, the four most universally agreed upon starting points for the series are 3, 4, 5, and 8. Those also happen to be the best games in the series. Pick one to start with and enjoy. The recommended platforms for each are SNES for 3, DS for 4 and 5, and either PS2 or 3DS for 8.

And yet, Final Fantasy remains the more popular franchise.

i like this pic. not sure if i copied it or if u copied me

>making a full redhead sexiness party in DQH2
The redhead fetishism is really apparent but I'm not complaining one bit.

In 11 I ran from everything after I beat it once and the only time I had to grind was post game content. Even then it's easy with spectacular show combo attack, you can summon metal slimes left and right. I think I went from level 45 to level 70 in about an hour.

it's hard to choose between desdemona and jessica. im never going to replace my brown twins tho

I wonder if we'll ever have a Dragon Quest thread that isn't a lewd dump?

You wanna talk about the deep gameplay and complex characters?

I'll shoot. Psyching up is the only newer mechanic that I don't like. It takes too long to do it and too many of the bosses will just wave it away. It feels like they wanted their own version of SMT's pressturn but didn't know how to implement it correctly. The whole risk/reward gambling subgame of DQ is so nuanced and balanced, but the psyche up mechanic just doesn't have the magical balance that most systems in DQ have.

How simple is the game compared to other RPGs, in terms of stats, gameplay, etc.? I like the designs and appeal of the games, just not sure how easy it is to jump in. I like Etrian Odyssey for example, but wouldn't mind a more forgiving RPG. I'm in the same boat as and based on sounds like 8 is where I should start.

>tfw I'm a red head and I like Jessica
I want to pass on the red head gene I guess by doing extremely lewd things with her like holding hands and taking care of her

I'm new to Dragon Quest. Is DQ builders a good place to start?

No u

It's more of a spinoff. It doesn't have much to do with the main series.

proberbly not since it's a spinoff and not traditional but hey if you want to play it first nobody will stop you.

I'd recommend 8 on the 3ds

Between DQ XI and DQB2 I think that will be easily accomplished.

Insanely easy to pick up, hard to put down (if it gels with you). The systems are basic and balanced almost to the point of perfection. This is good/bad. Good because everything works how you expect it would once you get it, bad because sometimes the scaling of whats going on is so even that you don't really "feel" yourself getting stronger unless you go back and fight weaker stuff.
The biggest plus of the combat that not many people talk about is the enemy variety. Cat enemies will waste turns gawking and purring, gold enemies drop more gold, tree enemies will drop your healing leaves, clown enemies will try to waste your turns making you dance instead of hurting you all the time, etc etc.
They all act individual and like they would within their world. Its subtle and fun.

>that outfit
did she raid Jessica's closet or something?

so true. the characters and monsters are all oozing with CHARM and personality.
also fuck metal slimes

buy my game and it will be

IV is unironically better on iphone/android since it has the same graphics but also includes party chat. That’s really important to me since party chat is one of my favorite features in DQ games.

does the builder(s) even have a cannon name? if not I'm gonna call her builder-chan

never waste your time trying to falcon slash metal slimes, hit them with crit potential attacks to completely negate their defense stat.
In the long run its much better for farming them, you'll still get tons of "metal slime G ran away" shit constantly though.

DQ has a lot of entries, doesn't it? Where should I start? The DS ones?

Start with 3, 4, 5, or 8

FF is a fucking mess of a series. I honest to God have no idea how there are so many fans for a series that is so inconsistent. Not just in plain quality, but settings, story-telling, combat, and overall atmosphere. Final Fantasy goes all over the damn place.

That's why it's popular though. It's constantly reinventing itself, while DQ has been releasing largely the same game since the NES.

He just don't know how to age women properly. Prime Bulma or Videl are fucking fantastic.

I really hope not.

Definitely 8. It does a lot right, and if you don’t like it odds are you won’t be a fan of the series.

Gotta wait, boy. You'll get your anglo-speak anime, just be patient.

youtube.com/watch?v=1fWM4qLuO_E

>not liking bulma
>not liking launch
>not liking 18
>not liking videl
>not liking android 21
>not liking mirra
>not liking the female angels

what's wrong with you?

No, because Monster Hunter is an action "rpg" and that's all westerners like

>Forgetting about 23rd world tournament Chi-Chi

YUUSHA

8 it is then.Will play the other user mentioned later. Is grinding necessary in this game?

What the fuck did I just watch this for?

Don't most FF "fans" just like only a few games out of the whole series? That would explain why most FF threads here argue over which game is the best, or turn-based/ATB vs. action-based

I’m not against trying something new with a series. Personally, I think Legend of Zelda is the best series at changing things up on the surface while still keeping the same basic principles beneath it all. Final Fantasy goes all over the place. Compare 4, 8, 13, and 15 and you’d find it difficult to believe they’re all in the same series.

I made it to the desert in DQ3 but can't find the inspiration to go on. What do? I didn't have this problem with 9

Sorry I didn't remember that at all. Lack of good doujinshi don't help either

>3DS remake lets you marry Jess
God yes

you never have to grind in 8, no. there is post-game content that you will have to grind for though

>bad because sometimes the scaling of whats going on is so even that you don't really "feel" yourself getting stronger unless you go back and fight weaker stuff.
The earlier DQs are a little better about this, I'm playing DQ5 now and dungeons usually take me a couple tries to get through.

The biggest thing that might shock a new player in DQ is you can't let your entire party die because you lose half your gold, you need to know when to cut your losses and go back to town.

>good doujinshi
That mainly because Japan has fucking awful taste.
>Still no good Chun-Li doujinshi
How is that even fucking possible?

Probably not. Although 8 is a little tough in the very beginning. I’ve heard that leveling is a good bit lighter in the 3ds version, plus you can actually see and avoid enemies in that version. That alone makes it tempting for me to buy it again since random encounters can get old after a while. Grinding really shouldn’t be a necessity so long as you don’t run away from encounters a shit ton.

Only for the postgame stuff
If you explore what you can and don't run from battles you'll pretty much stay on the level curve, normal final boss is doable at around level 40-45ish

Eh, but that just doesn’t seem right considering the stuff you learn post-game...

I would like both DQB 2 and Hero's to get a English translations and release if possible

>I didn't have this problem with 9
Because 9 holds your hand more.

Not a remake, chum. 7 is a remake. 8 is just a port.

Even in her own game Medae becomes the Nera.
Truly sad.

Also, I recommend you play most of the post game stuff, assuming you enjoy the game. It helps to tie up a lot of loose ends in the story.

Oh look the typical underdog hipster. DQ only has 2 games worth playing and none of them are better than any FF from 1-10.

I'd even argue spin offs like Heroes 2 and builders are much better than any mainline DQ.

Nera?

By the end of the post game, I didn't want to get married, I wanted to travel the world with my friends, but since that wasn't an option at least was able to marry VA VA VOOM.

Sorry, but non-japs aren’t allowed to enjoy this series. You westerners can play FF though, we don’t really need that.

play DQ5.

I want to take care of her, getting a puff puff from a girl like that would be amazing her breasts would also be nice as well

Ahh. Yeah I’ve been meaning to.

Was expecting it to be a grind heavy game and now I'm surprised. If everythig goes alright I'll be playing today my very first DQ. Thanks for the help.

>nintendo the only one who'd bother with dq localizations as of late
>game is on ps4 and they wouldn't do a 3ds release only

Rip any chance of XI coming over here

So is puff-puff ever really explained, or are we all just left assuming it means rubbing tits against someone?

Does it have black characters?

The girl is rubbing her slimes against you.

oh fuck off

I think this video will give you a good idea:
youtube.com/watch?v=p9sv6nvSwPc

yep

Theres tons of good chun stuff out there, and this is coming from someone who finds the whole hairy pits milf thing gross

>tfw you never get a rare metal king slime puff puff from jessica
why fucking even live?

The only grind heavy DQs are 1, 2, and the PS1 version of 7
In the 3DS version of 7 the only time you'd probably want to grind is to get new party members caught up

So every time you're offered a puff-puff in the games the woman is just pulling out some slimes out of nowhere?
I don't understand why it would be so popular then.

>its a secret to everyone

why is she so beautiful

>not understanding the appeal of having slimes rubbed on you

spotted the puff puff virgin, what kinda of slime would be best for it? she-slime? metal? I dunno.

If puff-puff really is that popular, why are people afraid of Slimes? Why are they treated as monsters?
I just don't get this.
And like, why is it only appealing when women do it? I recall some instances where you get picked up by a woman, only for it to be a fake-out and you find that a dude did the puff-puff and and it's treated like "holy shit that was just wrong."

If they make the game with generic realistic graphics, real time action gameplay and an M-rating it can be popular

Pic related will be the new Slime design

what part of people don't know its slimes when they get a puff puff don't you understand? If you thought you were paying for lewd acts from a woman and a man shows up you'd be pissed too.

the joke is that you think that your faces it's gonna get rammed into some cleavage but it's just slimes

I dunno man it's just a silly breast joke, don't think about it too hard.

They are basically like the dogs of our world, where a wild dog can be pretty dangerous and you wouldn't want to mess with one but they can be easily domesticated so people can live with them and make them race.

>tfw I bought DQ8 just for the demo
>to this day I haven't played FFXII and have played every DQ game

Yes it's from dragon ball. It's what oolong let roshi do while he was transformed as bulma.

really like this pic too

i just realized i never played the ffxii demo either. i dont think i ever had any intention of playing it

I have FFXII but haven't played it either, the character designs looked really boring
Was every character being blonde explained in the story/setting or something?

It's pretty clear that something other than slimes are being rammed into opponent's faces during battle with the puff-puff command

the majority of the game takes place in a desert environment. Sunlight will bleach your hair to lighter shades.
Subhumans with black hair aren't affected as much so most people don't really remember heat does that to real hair.

I have to be careful posting stuff because I do have lewd stuff like pic related.

you don't know that for sure since it happens off screen.

Shame her character can't be married. At comiket Martina had way more cute loving doujins than the generic blonde you're forced to marry.

It's the definite version for that alone.

>2 new endings with Jessica

The regular ending you go back home with her, the second is marriage life with Jessica. Jessica's 3DS endings have way more views on YouTube than Medea. I'm glad everyone got what they wanted on the end, except maybe people pining for Red but she's Yangus' girl. Hella surprised his and the king voice actors returned for the added DQ8 3DS scenes, only Rhapthrone and Jessica were replaced. Rhapthrone stands out the most, didn't even know Jess has a replacement.

Post parties.

Hero, Jessica, Yangus, Red.

>Jessica's 3DS ending have way more views on youtube
Because people knew the game was a massive downgrade in almost all fields so they just looked up what they were missing.

>in almost all fields
The only downgrade with the patched CIA if you're not a retard is graphically

>waaah censorship
>waah muh shitty orchestral soundtrack
quick crying, bitch baby

>the only downgrade, which is only mitigated with hacking, is the central draw for the video game.
thats a shame.

I don't mind the soundtrack either way, changing the costumes was pointless though and given the option I'll gladly take the choice to change them back. Hacking is a wonderful thing.

>Central draw of the game
>not gameplay

>can dragon quest be popular here too

They would if they fixed DQ biggest flaws (like the simplistic combat) and also actually acknowledge its existence outside Japan.

No, it's a mediocre series.

OK mate, if you day so. 3DS is the best version of DQ8. Angelo's retarded brother gets a closing arc as well.

Oh. My bad, I thought you were one of those morons who drop a game over stupid shit like that.
I apologize.
Honestly, I feel the same way, except I prefer the original soundtrack because I feel the orchestral versions, while great to listen to on their own, don't really fit when inserted into the actual games.
To that end, I wish there was a soft patch for just the costumes, but it seems there's only hard patched costume+music CIAs available. So I just say "meh."

>complains about the truth
>probably hasn't played a single MUDD in his life
Until you show me proof that you play your games without a graphical interface, and until you show me the DQ formula applied as is without its graphical component being a seller of whatever hardware it finds itself on, yes gaming is a visual medium first and foremost. The gameplay is nice, but until you show me evidence of DQ working better as a GURPS system, it is inseperable from the VIDEO aspect of video games.
Face it, the worldbuilding of DQ8 is a big part of why it is favored as it is. Reducing it's fidelity was a downgrade, and a massive one at that.

The fast-paced, streamlined combat is one of DQ's cornerstones, not a flaw. I'd rather it stay away from the west than get ruined to please the sensibilities of faggots like you, go back to FF and enjoy your flashy battle systems.

The only downgrades were the resolution and arguably the graphics.

>hold A to win and sometimes cast Heal is good gameplay
The absolute state of DQfags

>VIDEO aspect of video games.
That just refers to the system outputting video signal...

Is it wrong to think of orcs here?

literally tifa 2.0

>only the thing you have to look at 100% of your playtime is worse.
And we don't call them digital games, the video portion of it is inseparable from the hobby at large. You cannot escape it and still play dragon quest.

I don't know which DQs you've played but if you don't grind like a retard you can't play like that in 1-3 at least. Buffs/debuffs and status effect spells are essential.

Can we quit responding to the same three trolls that ruin every DQ thread

This is a character for a game from the DS that was remade on 3DS. It came out before DQ11.
I can't find a single thing that Martina is a copy of more than this.

3DS and PS2 both look like garbage, I hope we'll get releases of 8 and 9 on HD consoles.

Shit, let's slap Kasap for good measure and use Oomph on occasions!
10/10 gameplay

I don't know what the fuck happened or if anyone else is getting Skinner'd.

This is the correct image (hopefully)

She becomes the best girl to marry?

I don't know the English spell names so maybe? Works for me. If you don't like DQ's gameplay I suggest you play something else, it's not going to change when millions of people enjoy the system as is.

dont forget the magic and aoe spells as well as the diff weapons that sometimes have built in abilities

Dragon Quest literally has no appeal to an audience that didn't grow up with it throughout their lives as a national icon.

Okay Mr. Tough Guy, go beat Dhoulmagus without leveling Angelo to 27 or whatever level it was for Multiheal

>she says as she flops into a thread about people liking the series and not growing up with it as a national icon.

>60 posters represents the majority
You sure proved me wrong.

There is a lot of appeal if you like traditional RPGs. It is the Doom of JRPGs, people like to go back to it for a pure, unfettered, perfect example of the genre.

>daughter gets mounds of art but son gets none
being a shotacon DQ fan is suffering

>states an absolute
>gets called out
>moves his goalpost to a majority appeal, a clear downgrade from the original absolute claim
Jewish tricks won't work here schlomo.

Ni No Kuni has you covered user.

>It is the Doom of JRPGs
You mean Wolfenstein.

No. Shitnix is invested in not giving the west DQ, retardedly believing that western consumers will then be forced to buy whatever fucktarded ff release they shat out most recently.

>thinking 60 people counts as an "audience"
Man you are autistic.

m-mommy

Clearly you've never seen anything by Akatsuki Souken.

thanks for the repeated bumps

Yeah I imagine this adds a shitload of time. I've primarily played Dragon Quest in Japanese, but I played through some of the English versions of VII and VIII 3DS a few months ago to judge the localizations for myself. Random name changes and some other issues aside, VIII's seemed alright, and VII's was fine when they just wrote normal English, but the 18th-19th century style of writing accents was atrocious. I'll never understand why they think writing a line in one language and then writing it again in English is a good idea. It's a shame, I wish non-Nip speakers got good localizations of DQ.

I think the dragon quest series is the only series that tops nintendo in changing names of their characters for no reason in the localizations.

They brought over Heroes II tho and keep bringing over the portable remakes. DQ has been legitimized in the west even if it isn't a huge seller.

I actually did this since I decided to not grind last time I played. It was definitely a bitch with luck factoring in a lot of the fights.

If DQ ever got the level of advertising that Capcom gave MHW in the west, which was just showing it off at some conventions and a TV commercial, it'd do well enough.
Hell it does fine even without that, Squeenix is just a bunch of shitheads

It's actually not that bad if you abuse the fuck out of Alchemy to get shit like Platinum Armor and that Bow that has a free weaker Multiheal on use
You still have to get lucky with Phase 1 and his Kasnooze spam but Phase 2 is perfectly doable, I managed both without dying and having to come back

I remember them advertising DQ8 on PS2 a good bit when it came out. Probably why it's most popular one in west

Probably helped that was the first "proper" Dragon Quest in the west.

They legitimately think people will only like FF or DQ and not both. I am 100% serious. They know what they have on their hands, they just don't want to compete with themselves.

Well in my case they aren't wrong, I can't wait for this game and I wouldn't play FF15 if you paid me.

it's the good ol' image swap, someone posted skinner at the same time. Blame gookmoot

I actually never considered that, always thought of Momo first, more recent in memory (2014.)

To be fair FF is a dramatically different beast these days after what XIII did to the franchise. Hell, depending on who you ask, IX was the last proper FF.

It's a good game to take influence from desu

They also think DQ really only sells well because of nostalgia.

As someone who used to follow FF up to 9 I don't have any interest in the titles afterwards. I have a sudden urge to start DQ and will probably go with 5 first.

Next DQ will have the combat of Heroes, the crafting and building of Builders, the cooperative gameplay of 10, the graphics of FFXV, the open world and mature storyline of Witcher 3, the difficulty of Dark Souls, and the survival multiplayer of PUBG. Then it will finally no longer be simplistic and dated and catch up with the times.

Yeah I've played some FFs after IX, but I really don't care for any after it. XIII totally killed my interest in the franchise. Still love older FF games though (not all of them though, they had some bad ones during the golden age too). I didn't get into DQ until recently, but I'm glad they're still good.

It's one of my favourite things about the website whenever it happens and I hope it never gets fixed. Someone should post that Cred Forums x /u/ screencap.

The world is just a giant fucking field like every other DQ game, people jerked off to 8 back in the day because the characters looked like an anime come to life, same with ni no kuni.

Hero, jessica yangus angelo

I never did unlock that other guy or use red but I did make sure to marry jess like any sane person would.

Sounds more like that FF16 will aim for and fail at trying to accomplish.

I want to marry and impregnate Martina

Never played a Dragon Quest game before. What would be a good starting point?

>combat of Heroes

I've only played the first Heroes up to the point where you get Yangus and Jessica, but no thank you. They found a way to make Musuo/Warrior style games boring.

Localization when?

III-V, and VIII. I've played XI already and can say it'll be another good starting point when it's localized or if you can read Nip.

Reading this thread, does no one like VI? I happen to play it after 8&9, but before IV and V and I liked it.

I did team Double Date, too.

I wasn't fond of it. I played it after I-V. It really bored me to tears, but I wouldn't say it's the worst. II, VI, and IX are the ones that really bored me, the others were good.

Morrie is fucking crazy, shame you get him so late unless you get really lucky with the one or two arena teams that can potentially cheese their way through the Arena before the full Golem team is available.

VI isn't bad but it's not as good as V or VII so it gets forgotten

>3ds version of DQ8 doesn't have Super Saiyan hair for tension
Why?

It was something the localizers added for the PS2 version. The new localizers didn't feel like re-adding it.

Oh I barely ever do tension passed 20 so I didn't even notice.

It was added for the NA release of the PS2 version

Not liking DQ2 is the sign of a real pleb.

It's not so hard to like it when you use a guide.

what does tension even do?

Makes all your attacks more powerful. In the end it's useless because by the time you boost up you could of just whacked the enemy with your sword 4 times

Yeah, but it's so much fun getting Red to +50 or 100 while Oomphed and using Killer Juggling.

At +20 the boost is more than the two turns spent buffing
At +50 and +100 it's way more, especially with multi-hit attacks and the way the damage formula works

El pícaro

It's been forever since I played(ps2) but I seem to recall that it would fail to boost quite often?

Only when trying to go to +100.

>Can't even romance her
>Stuck with the shitty childhood friend
WORST DQ GAME

>So many people actually caring about romance options in video games.

I'll never get you people.

Ok then, Maybe not as useless as I first thought.

>still no DQ10 in the west
>still no DDO in the west

I dont care about romance shit, but if you're going to throw it in your game and only give shit options, then leaving out best girl, I'm gonna be upset.

romance options are only fun if you can romance all the girls at once imo.

If they're going to put marriage and romance options in a game then they should at least let you pick who, especially if said person is in your party

Switch version will be localized this time! I've got a good feeling! ;_;

>the difficulty of Dark Souls
DQI remake with souls combat when?

I wouldn't even call it a romance. You just go through the optional dungeon and marrying your childhood friend is one of the wishes you can have granted. You teleport back home and she's calling you dear now, that's about it. That and a marriage picture after the credits. Nothing at all to bitch over, it was just an added afterthought.

Well if childhood friend wasn't the worst and most annoying character in the game, it would be okay.

>preferring cock sleeve over pure childhood friend

It's really busted with stuff like Twin Dragon Lash and Multithrust. Still strong on normal moves. Tensioned Thin Airs are nice for wiping out normal encounters quickly.

Most AAA games are mediocre and yet they sell like hotcakes.

Is it true that Marina is actually the protag's sister and the childhood friend wins again?

>one of your wishes is getting god to brainwash a woman into thinking she married you

Nah. Martina just acted like a big sister when he was just a baby and has seen herself as a sort of big sister ever since, even when they meet again 16 years later. And the childhood friend only "wins" if you make a wish to marry her after going through the optional dungeon; there's no real romance at all.

Them Nips know their target audience.

She is the daughter of the neighboring kingdom's king. She was sent to your kingdom because her mom died early and the father didn't want to deal with her,he was being possessed by the big bad she was essentially your older sister for the first year of your life. Then the monsters attack and you got tossed in a river and you grow up rustic town usa, where you're the same age as the child hood friend, who always to make sure to remind you that you're child hood friends every time you talk to her. You marry her because the only other options are martina, who is a slut, or lesbian sisters.