>still managed to capture the imagination of players across the world

How did they do it?

Other urls found in this thread:

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch
youtu.be/fbcjFvXGXYQ
youtube.com/watch?v=7GTlTtnbnhY
youtu.be/2XjouKSkSeM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

By focusing on mechanics first, graphics second.

The anime sold the games. It's why gamefreak can get away with being an absurdly incompetent studio.

You are crazy the anime was ass, the games were something new that enticed everybody

>screen resolution
>game size
>amount of NPC dialogue

You really have no idea what makes a good RPG, do you?

Anime doesn't sell games
Games don't sell anime
Both are sold by the MASSIVE GLOBAL MULTIBILLION DOLLAR MARKETING BEHEMOTH that is Pokemon

All the anime did was make Pikachu popular. The games sold just fine on their own before the 22 minute commercials came in.

GameFreak can get away with being incompetent because not only do they have joint ownership of Pokemon (along with Nintendo and TPCJ), but they also know the Pokemon brand is one of the biggest brands not just in videogames, but in the entire world. Dumbasses will buy it because it's POKEMON.

The game was already a hit in Japan predating the anime.

Good music.

Fun to play, explored death, encouraged you to have a friend to trade with. Ideas make a game fun OP. Can you believe DLC wasnt required for this to be a master piece?

The first pokemon game released over a year before the anime did. The anime wouldn't have been made if the game had flopped.
This.

>game size of about 8 MB
The initial Pokemon cartridges were 512KB, that's half of one megabyte

Super Mario 64 was 8MB though

>can you believe dlc wasn't required

That's the anime edition, not the DLC.

>8MB
There is no Game Boy game in existence that is anywhere near that big. Pokemon was 512KB.

the anime was ass but it didn't matter.

Glad I didn't have to watch 2 hours of cutscenes before I can explore on my own in this one.

What are you talking about? When it came out Pokemon was one of the most technically advanced games on the GB.

The only major thing this added to the game was having the 3 starters in a single file with no trade required, and also some new movesets like Charizard learning Fly, and I guess they added the move deleter here IIRC, stadium was more of a DLC than yellow .

Low standards combined with inherently interesting gameplay and mechanics. No fucking kid in the world doesn't want to have a fire-breathing lizard as a pet that they can use to battle their friend's pets. The feeling of going on an adventure with a team of creatures you choose is just great. The variety, the sense of wonder when they evolve, it's all there. The graphics didn't matter, no one cared back then as long as the feeling was there, and it was. It FELT like you were on the adventure. You felt good when a Pokemon you had grown attached to evolved, and you felt like shit when you lost and blacked out. You didn't just want to win, you wanted to do right by your Pokemon.

>DLC wasnt required
>what are event Pokemon

There was only one and it wasn't needed to "complete" the Pokedex, so how is it required? And that's disregarding the very easy to perform Mew glitch.

Move deleter was second gen

Magic animals

Is there a single kid that didnt choose charizard the first time
I did and I dont even like charizard anymore

Taking lots of programming shortcuts, which had the added effect of leaving the game as a buggy mess with fucked up mechanics

>goalpost moving
DLC isn't required in modern games to 100%

The Mew glitch wasn't discovered until over a decade later. The only way to get Mew back in the day was a special event or a GameShark.

Gen 1's mechanics were fucking awful though, they barely worked.

>implying games haven't started to sell the true ending as DLC
They worked well. They only broke in edge cases. Those weren't games for a competitive scene where the edge case matters.

shhh let the retarded 20 year old live in his nostalgia bubble

I chose Bulbasaur. My brother chose Squirtle.

I remember buying a gameshark bootleg just to get mew

We know that in retrospect but back then as 10yo nobody cared about that
You put 3 fire moves in your charizard and you were happy

>They only broke in edge cases
One of the types is fundamentally broken. The AI will spam attacks that do nothing because of a "type advantage". That isn't an edge case. Have you actually played the game?

Cartoons and merchandising, my negro.

>viridian forest
>path to bill's house
>s.s. anne
>game corner
>pokemon tower
>silph. co.
>rock tunnel
>mt.moon
>seafoam islands
>pokemon mansion
>power plant
>victory road

I miss dungeons.

I dont
Only the rocket base was good

You mean psy/ghost? Well thank fuck for ghost being a very rare type or this would actually matter. Oh no the AI did a stupid thing in a rare case.

Of course your imagination is challanged, because you only get so little visual input, that you have to make it up in your mind.

All of that was cutting edge in 1998.

>What is Focus Energy?

As an 8 year-old playing the game for the first time with no other games to compare it to, how was I supposed to know which mechanics were even broken

Rage? Oh, that's a dumb move, save over it with Slash. Critical hits land too often or whatever the glitch even is? If you say so.

Ghost attacks are weird, I just won't use Ghastly. Psychics have no weaknesses? I didn't notice because my Charizard/Blastoise is lv55 already

what's way more impressive to me is they managed to release another generation on the same hardware with vastly improved sprites and double the map size

A move nobody ever used even before it was known it was bugged

>a rare case
Agility is a very common move user

>ghost being a very rare type
>what is Pokemon Tower

Jesus Christ, you really haven't played the games.

>gameboy color
>same hardware as gameboy
You wanna know how I know you're underage?

Who knows, all the text says is "So-and-so is getting pumped!'

waste of a turn. It's not like I waited for Bulbapedia to load on my 56k modem to find out the move was actually supposed to do something

The game still worked perfectly on GB except without the color

>As an 8 year-old playing the game for the first time with no other games to compare it to, how was I supposed to know which mechanics were even broken

Ignorance doesn't excuse broken mechanics, Gen 1 was a mess any way you slice it. There's no excuse for a lot of the mechanical errors in those games.

Thank Iwata.

>8MB

That filesize was only achieved by N64 by that time in cartridges. Not even SNES was that huge.

Prove it

It was, but we're asking how it was able to explode in popularity. The only bugged mechanic anyone cared about was the trade-duplication and infinite 6th slot items

The bar for GB games wasn't set very high and it became a cultural phenomenon through merchandising and the anime. Literally everything was pokemon for years.

>I don't like gameplay

Have you played X or Y yet? Either that game or a different one had a Pokeball factory that you spend all of ten seconds in, you'd have liked it.

One location doesn't make a type common.

Isnt crystal gbc exclusive with the see through cartridge? Youre thinking about GS but it doesnt have animated sprites

>strawman
I dont like dungeons is what I said they were tedious not challenging, boring, later ones have you push rocks in dumb puzzles that take forever

You said they were only broken in edge cases, that simply isn't true. Fundamental elements like move accuracy were borked.

If I can easily go catch multiple ghost types whenever I feel like it, it's not rare. Relicanth? Now that's a rare Pokemon.
The point is you can catch a Ghost type to beat the OP psychic types but whoops the type matchup doesn't actually work the way the game says.

You're right

How do you get new? I've only ever done it with gameshark

Who cares why is that a big deal, nobody gave a shit 20 years ago you all fedora idiots that like to parrot that "whats wrong with gen 1" chart as if it mattered are the worst

G/S ran perfectly fine on GBP. So my point is completely valid

bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_glitch

>implying video games exist

A single screen of data at minimum resolution (640x480), is 307,200 pixels. Open up a new picture in MSPaint, set its size to 640x480, fill it with all black, save it, and check its file size. That's 4.01KB.

Now change one pixel to a non-black color and save it again. That's 4.02KB.

Assuming you control that pixel with the arrow keys, and all the game is is moving that pixel in the 640x480 space, that's a total of 307,200 possible locations. 307,200 * 4.02 = 1,234,944KB.

That's 1.2 GIGABYTES.

The average sprite in an NES "game" is supposedly eight pixels tall.

That's OVER NINE GIGABYTES, for a single non-animated sprite moving in a featureless black void.

Of course, there are steps a designer could take to shrink the size of the game, mostly by decreasing the freedom of the moving pixels; still, that all goes to shit when you factor in ANOTHER sprite. This results in what is known as a 'combinatorical explosion' where the number of bytes necessary to hold every position exceeds the number of protons in the local galactic cluster.

Video games will not be possible in practice until computers occupy something other than space and are made of something other than matter.

>nobody gave a shit 20 years ago

Because no one knew. See , just because everyone is ignorant of a problem doesn't excuse it. There's way too much shit wrong with Gen 1 for it to have just slipped through the cracks.

>nobody gave a shit 20 years ago
Because you were children and you look at it with nostalgia goggles. New Pokemon games come out that don't have these problems and you shit on them because they aren't MUH GEN WUN

>implying anyone gave a shit when they were kids
That’s not the point of this thread.

Dude, even as of today Ghost is the 2nd rarest type there is. Only Steel has less pokemon. You could catch a ghost type, notice it doesn't do shit against psychic, and abandon that strategy, or you could sperg out over it.

I actually am one of the few people in this site that likes gen 7

Not Steel. Ice. Derp.

>releasing a buggy and broken game is okay because it's for children
Why doesn't this apply today?

>game is programmed badly
>just adapt!
And people did, which doesn't excuse the fact that the game was programmed wrong in the first place and had to be fixed in later installments.
All you're doing is showing how incredibly flawed Gen 1 was even though it was popular.

Its about how the games got big right
Then stuff that nobody knew about or cared or affected the games have zero relevance
There were plenty of games released 20 and 30 years ago that because of shitty bugs and glitched people hated them and they did poorly
It obviously did not affect pokemon so bringing it up is really silly

A TV show to

Nobody is saying its ok we are saying it didnt matter, it did not affect the game´s popularity

Who cares? The discussion has branched out. Discussing Gen 1 without acknowledging how much of a mess it was is just silly. We've already established why Gen 1 was so popular and what made it good. No one knew enough about it to care about bugs, but now we do. What's wrong with expanding the discussion?

It had bugs, sure.

That doesn't make it "incredibly flawed". It makes it flawed, but the flaws are minor. They didn't disrupt the gameflow. They only make you sperg out when you try to break the game.

I was ahead of the curve on this game, but the stores knew it would be big.

Showed up day 1 and they had hundreds of copies, I was the only person there for it. Get @ me nerds lmao

because there is nothing to discuss about that other than "le gf sucks lel"
I think talking about how the series got popular as a whole and sharing childhood stories is way more interesting

Games are just (((((((open beta))))))) for an eternity

I disagree, I think there's something inherently interesting about the games becoming so popular despite being objectively flawed in so many ways. Audience ignorance is just one part of the equation.

>flaws are minor
Again, the flaws are in central gameplay systems. You don't have to go out of your way to run into those problems. The scenarios I'm talking about happened when I played the game as a kid.

If a game released today with these kinds of problems you could bet your ass it would be hated and rightly so.

>This results in what is known as a 'combinatorical explosion' where the number of bytes necessary to hold every position exceeds the number of protons in the local galactic cluster.

>despite
We already talked about that, its because literally nobody cared about the bugs or glitches or knew about them
Which means they were not really that bad at all

Because it was babby's first RPG and apparently nobody talks about Last Bible which did the same concept years earlier.

wrong

first game that let you play with 140ish different "characters", it was revolutionary

Its never about being first its about being good/accessible/marketable /likeable

>old enough to have bought the game with your own money when it came out
geeze gramps, isn't it past your bedtime by now?

SMT? DQ?

>Use cinnibar island glitch to catch shit
>It fucks up my record deal at the PC
>While scrolling through the glitched league registered pokemon, see Mew's sprite
>Call my cousin and show him
>know it's real
>Lose our shit

God that was fun.

They never had that many before pokemon
SMT was also not appealing to children

>smt
>in the west in the 90s
>DQ 5
>in the west
>and it had like 15 recruitable monsters at most

sorry user, the 'only broken in edge cases' post was a different user. I was just chiming in that the game was popular despite the abundance of flaws was because for most people in the game's target demo you either didn't notice the flaw, the flaw was actually a huge help, or you just went 'huh, weird' and played around it

>Pokemon was 512KB.
Pokemon R/B/Y is 1MB, dummy

He probably meant 8Mb.

Can you imagine knowing the Mew glitch when you were a kid? Would have been so fucking cool.

>Again, the flaws are in central gameplay systems.
They're also really easy to avoid. Making them minor. The second-rarest pokemon type is broken against another specific type. This or that move doesn't work. Use the other 98% of the game.
> If a game released today with these kinds of problems you could bet your ass it would be hated and rightly so.
Because the franchise changed, and their resources changed. GF today has a ton more to work with, and a different crowd to please. Things are different so reactions would be different.

You would have been a god at your school.

Oh wow! An attack that should have perfect accuracy can actually miss one in 256 times! Flawed garbage!!!!!

Because it had (and still has) a highly popular TV show to advertise it

Revelations didn't start with Persona in the west. Look it up.

>Pokemon thread on Cred Forums
>Nostalgia faggotry everywhere
Do I have to post it again?

>anime version
Barely. The differences between this and the previous versions was pretty minor. Pikachu was your starter and you could talk to him. You could get the original 3 starters in game if you cared to. Other more minor shit like surfing Pikachu minigame which I don’t even remember how you unlock.

You come across literally none of this if you just play the game and have fun. Also, nice use of Pokemon Green sprites.

None of these are issues for a casual Pokemon player, and keep in mind everyone was a casual Pokemon player back then.

Literally nothing to do with what I said
>really easy to avoid
So let's take a game like SFxT. One of the patches had a glitch where a certain projectile clashing with others will crash the game. This is easily avoidable by not picking that character or using that move. So by your logic this glitch is minor even though it effectively locks you out of a central game mechanic.

>I cant let people enjoy things I need to remind everybody about this shit

This is why this board is crap
We know all of that, nobody fucking cares and no we are not defending it, holy hell

Pokemon red/blue were 1 MB, which is among the largest Gameboy games, however you could buy unofficial cartridges with contained both on 2 MB.

>Casual players
>never using the box
Wut

>8 Year Olds datamined the game and figured out all the bugs upon release

yeah I'm sure you literally never get frozen
Or used/got hit by trapping moves

I was always a Squirtlebro, my friend. Charmander was for brainlets

>Casual players using more than maybe 3 pokemon

the mew glitch wasnt discovered for that many years? i actually had a gameshark as a kid but none of the pokemon codes would work without crashing the game and corrupting the save

Also, jesse/james for team rocket.

The box is the only real issue for kids there, boxes were annoying.

because collecting, trading and battling monsters is fun? no one gave a fuck about the characters

Also the "Super Effective" message only being displayed based on the secondary type. I remember being confused how Zapdos got hit Super Effectively by Thunderbolt and Articuno being hit Super Effectively by Blizzard.

/vp/ is shit and everyone knows it. A whole board who approves and loves the huge mess that SM/USUM were, and some even dare to like ORAS, is not meant to be respected.

Fucking GFdrones

>playing the tutorial again
Why would anyone ever do that?

>the anime released a year after the release sold the games
Sure buddy

Thats literally the opposite of /vp/ they fucking hate gen 6 and 7

I've played UM. It's pretty nice if you're looking for a pokemon-themed JRPG. It's also a huge upgrade in terms of QoL.

It was discovered in early 2003 iirc. The American release date for R/S was March 03 so it was mostly irrelevant at that point, unless you wanted to go back and play the old Stadium games with a Mew.

>abandoning my Gen 1 and 2 team when R/S came out
It still hurts user

>surfing Pikachu minigame which I don’t even remember how you unlock.
By teaching your Pikachu surf

Almost none glitches in red actually crash the game, hell the reason half of them work is because the game runs with them instead of crashing

Wish there was a game that captured the watercolor style of the early art

that's a lie though

So your definition of "minor" is "it doesn't crash the game"?

Man, little me was so fucking happy to have my level 100 Lugia with both my starters from Blue and Silver. The news about the GBA games broke my will to keep playing and many kids around that time quit as well.
I didn't get back into Pokemon until Emerald.

see

Good stories and art are simple. Pokemon is a very simple game, down to its art style and combat system. But within that simplicity was a myriad of options for customization and creativity. Every pokemon was viable and good if you knew it's strength and best move sets. Not only that, but simply produced video games make you meet them halfway. you are forced to use your imagination and immerse yourself in them. Video games today with enormous budget that try to mimic real life are not really what people want. After playing a AAA title today, the average male turning off their ps4 or computer feel cold in most cases. whereas old games used to excite us and fulfill a part of us. Whether we realize it or not. Because new games do not allow you to use your imagination. That doesn't mean they can't be compelling and fun (for example I found uncharted 4 fun and a great game despite the fact it was basically a movie you played. But generally speaking the simpler the better.

Also the music in the pokemon games is second to none. And again it was SIMPLE and CALMLY COMPOSED which is something that is lost on modern composers. their music always fidgits and never sits still. And it's irritating and not memorable. I can remember every cities melody from those pokemon games but can't remember a single musical moment from any AAA game the last 8 years.

You needed to have the Yellow version to get Mew.

The anime didn't even exist until a year after the games released in Japan

Hum no

That was literally all Iwata, Johto alone didn't fit on the cart before Iwata stepped in and unfucked Gamefreak's spaghetti code.

READ

read the backlinks newfag

Yeah, and the games didn't come out west until 2 years after they did in Japan.

Crystal was GBC exclusive but G/S fit on the cart too and were vastly better (albeit not animated). The point stands even if the third version doesn't.

Yes, gen 1 was shit yet we enjoyed it, why can't people accept that some of us retroactively enjoy something even tough we eventually found out it wasn't that good after all? Gen 2 is the reason the games are actually popular.

>GAME BOY ADVANCE
What is this sorcery

dont hurt my mom.

And the anime was still unreleased in the West you colossal retard. Don't try to be ""smart""

GBA and Crystal came out the same year. IIRC Crystal was the game they used to advertise the backwards compatibility.

>either no one noticed or this was an awesome strat
>figured this was normal
>thought they were random
>who knew, they were useless, of course ohko moves would never land, didn't use em
>'focus energy, user is getting pumped!' wow that did nothing, overwritten
>who uses 3 swords-dances in singleplayer?
>this is awesome!
>thought this was intentional
>never knew what haze did gen 1, who cares
>sounds awesome
>duh it's called counter
>so?
>never noticed
>it was annoying, glad they changed it, but it never stood out as wrong
>duh, you can't run from a trainer fight, good thing they changed it though
>thought this was normal
>never noticed
>never noticed
>never noticed
>never noticed
>was kind of annoying, glad they changed
>never used substitute
>'oh whoops' never did that again
>consistent with move's lore, seemed dumb as shit, overwritten
>oh no, whatever shall I do
>duh it's called disable
>never an issue
>the only mom that matters is in gen 2
>never ran into this
>thought this was normal
>kinda funny, somehow never ran into this
>never thought about it, I guess it's good they changed it

Note nothing in the list that was noticeable to me as a kid registered as a glitch, just something they decided to improve in the next game.
"Oh, waking up doesn't waste your turn anymore, that's cool" A lot of them are just poor decisions.

no i'm just saying you can't compare them

God I hate genwun apologists.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to rewatch S1 episodes

Hum yes

Mew was only in a sponsored event for Red and Blue, Yellow you can catch it without going to an event

I'm just saying it's obvious that it's a glitchy mess now, but a lot of shit people like to tout as 'horrible game-breaking glitches that make the game literally unplayable!' are just stupid balance decisions.

Probably the biggest thing that stood out to me as a kid was I thought ghosts were dumb because they were half poison and couldn't hit normals for some reason that made no sense.

The first episode aired in the west September 8th of 1998. R/B released September 28, 1998.
Eat shit, faglord.

They create the same "easily avoidable" situation that breaks the core mechanics of the game. Which shows "well don't use the basic gameplay mechanic" is a poor way to defend a buggy experience.

snuck one in there, clever

this guy gets it

That's still no. Getting Mew in Yellow uses the same bug as in Red and Blue

They're 512kb, Yellow was 1024kb.

don't read this post if you want to continue living in the waking coma we call life

I'm not sure what you're saying

ghost doesn't defeat psychic, oh well ghosts are part poison anyway so trying to use one is dumb, I'll use literally anyone else
isn't the same as
this fairly common but avoidable occurrence made the game crash

If attacking a psychic type with a ghost move crashed the game, then you could compare the two. No one whose haunter got their shit smashed in by Psybeam went 'what the fuck this game is broken!"

>ghost doesn't defeat psychic
Ghost type moves should have an effect on psychic types. It's part of the game's balance. Yet does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to. People did see the game said one thing and did another which is why it was fixed in the next installment.

Nobody says that those bugs made Gen1 unplayable you shit eating mongrel, it's meant to rob genwunners of their delusions that R/B were the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Only the japanese version is 512 KB you fucking branelet.

>I can remember every cities melody from those pokemon games but can't remember a single musical moment from any AAA game the last 8 years.
fuck off, that's just nostalgia. AAA jap games today are still awesome, because they have the same awesome composers that have been making music for games for decades now. See P5, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Nier: Automata, Breath of the wild.

But yes, shit like Mass Effect Andromeda has literally 0 memorable music tracks.

Right, but you can't compare it to a bug that crashes the game

It was from a 10yo kid perspective and it was great you will never rob anything you just want to shitpost and try to ruin people´s day like all shitposters here

A bunch of people were saying that in this thread though

Yeah, but "oh this part seems poorly balanced" is different from the game crashing.

>everyone who disagrees with me is a shitposter
A post from inside the mind of a genwunner who's still 10 years old.

We are not in disagreement gen1 did have all those glitches thats a fact its the reason you have to come in and be an ass what Im pointing out

Pokemon is amazing from a design sense. You are naturally rewarded for exploring anywhere on the map, because you catch new or higher level Pokemon. It's why the games have always been so huge despite the last few being very lazy.

I need a sixth for Ultra Moon. Using

>Decidueye
>Alolan Muk
>Mawile
>Gardevoir
>Starmie

I'd call gen7 a lot of things, but "lazy" is not on the list. They put a lot of work in it, and it shows.

Not an argument

The music is fucking gnarly too

youtu.be/fbcjFvXGXYQ

Talonflame seems like a good fit.

>TL;DR

was actually one of the three i was considering, the other two being Alolan Dugtrio and Salazzle

Yeah, because delivering a slightly changed less than a year old game and calling it a day is not lazy

QoL is not what makes a game good anyway

90% of this can be summed up with
>he's looking at gen 1 through a competitive lens
Weren't EVs capped absurdly high in gen 1?

fuck that's good

S/M is gen7, too. US/UM fill the role of Y/C, I don't see the problem.

QoL doesn't make a game good by itself, but not having it can make a game much worse.

FPBP

and here's the underage who wasn't even born when we were playing Red/Blue back in the day.
Go back being a Sinnohfetus somewhere else.

They still have it though
youtube.com/watch?v=7GTlTtnbnhY

youtu.be/2XjouKSkSeM

Iwata lives on in our hearts and minds.

>That's 4.01KB.
>Now change one pixel to a non-black color and save it again. That's 4.02KB.
what in the fuck are you on about that doesn't change the file size of the picture

also that's not even how games work

did i just get bamboozled, this is too elaborate to be fake

>the last few being very lazy.
What a dumb meme the last few have more work put into them than all the previous ones together

Yup, they are interesting trivia that underage faggots use to prove that the game that started their favourite franchise is shit.
Poor morons.

>who uses 3 swords-dances in singleplayer?

Fucking this. I barely even used it in multiplayer back when link cables were a thing.

yes by virtue of game design methods and games getting more and more complex, they literally have to have more work put into them

that doesn't mean they weren't lazy

I miss troll physics comics

Ah so you dont know what lazy means and are just memeing
Neato, cant let reality get in the way of dumbposting huh

Not even so much the mechanics, but the realization of a great idea. Gen 2 is Gen 1 perfected (although the sequence breaking in Gen 1 is pretty fun).

Shit? No. Heavily flawed compared to later gens? Absolutely. Gen 2 was basically "we fucked up, here's a better version of Gen 1".

Who did you use your Masterball on Cred Forums? I always used it on Mewtwo since he was Ultra Necrozma before it was cool.

>the only mom that matters is in gen 2
kek

Articuno

I believe I used Ultra Balls on Mewtwo because, at the time, I was saving mine for Mew (I thought he was surely in the game). I ended up using it on Moltres to complete my dex.

>Mewtwo since he was Ultra Necrozma before it was cool.
Am I reading this right? Mewtwo was never not cool. There's a reason why that rat is referenced and called back too so much.

You're reading it incorrectly. I'm saying he's capable of 1-2 shotting everything on your team and thus you can't really afford a long drawn out battle.

>using a Master ball on anything but a legendary/Mythical

and now look at Gamefreak

Master Balls are for shiny pokemon that have a chance to run/explode/use roar or whirlwind

The game size is actually 512KB, it was supposed to be 1MB, but by the release date in japan, the 1MB ROMs for the gameboy were still too expensive, so they did a rush job to cut down 31 pokemon from the game and some events and shit.
To fit down all the 151 pokemon pictures,151 pokemon back pictures and trainer pictures in the cart, they used a quite hefty compression subroutine developed by Satoru Iwata himself, which is why the game have a small loading between the battles as well.

It's an adventure. That's what makes games like BotW fun too, it feels like you're exploring this massive world and going on some grand adventure.
Especially for kids, it was us in the game doing this, not Mario or Sonic.

USUM was pretty great, definitely better than ORAS (which was definitely better than XY), so at least we're currently on the up and up.

Its just japanese people being humble
God I hate you people

Shinies are just a recolor. Who gives a shit? I'd take a Relicanth over a blue Ponyta any day.

It's just one of those games that's so amazing in its conception that it's irrelevant if the execution is even good.

It's like Portal, Rocket League, or Smash Bros. The initial idea is just so good that there's no way it's not going to be a hit.

Being able to trade shit was probably a big contributor. In my school there was a coordinated group effort to get everyone's dexs maxed out.

see the top corner how it doesnt have a dent in it, you niggas too young to remember the GB but it had some kind of anti removal system when you turned it on

>tfw consistently encounter shiny pokemon in the safari zone
I've had shiny Pinsir and Kangaskhan escape my clutches.

I literally said I remembered wrong. It was G/S that still worked on the OGB.

Do shiny pokemon have a higher chance to appear in Ultra Wormholes? I found a shiny Floatzel the other day and I want to know if he's a welfare shiny

jokes on you, tentacruel was apart on my main 6 in ruby

Tentacruel was fantastic in Gen 1 and 2. I'm raising a Swords Dance Tentacruel in Gold right now.

There are multiple reasons for that, some vastly greater than comparing bugs between games. A specific example is many of them being rehashes for a popular and very lucrative franchise, with little variation on gameplay types.

I think gen 7 gets too much flak. USUM were pretty fantastic. I think SM just left people with a bad taste.

Yes, shiny pokemon are more frequent. The best odds are if you go through the pulsing ones once you're a fair bit inside.

Ghost not being affected by struggle is a-ok to me.

>being humble

That's not humble at all.

Only gold and silver.

Brock and Misty were redesigned to look like in the anime, Cinnabar gym had riddles added to it as a reference to the anime, wild Pokemon locations were moved around to better match the anime (like Pidgey line in Viridian Forest), you can't catch Meowth, Ekans, or Koffing because those are "bad" pokemon, Blue gets an Eevee, gym leader teams are changed to better match their teams in the anime, and they even added some NPC trainers as references to trainers encountered in the anime. They changed pretty much everything they could without changing the "story".

Same reason many people hail Morrowind as the greatest RPG around

You had to use your imagination back in those days

look at the filename of this picture. you know what picture it is without looking

bruh you can spawn any pokemon you want with the fly glitch what scrub noob shit are you spewing here?

Always Mewtwo unless there's a roamer. Now that roamers are gone (thank fuck), it's Mewtwo or rot in the bag.

>not trading your Charizard to Yellow for Fly and then back to Red

>not getting a Mew via glitch and cloning the fuck out of it in GSC
Your loss pal, that thing is the ultimate HM slave.

i like you, post more

Pure luck

>Assuming you control that pixel with the arrow keys, and all the game is is moving that pixel in the 640x480 space, that's a total of 307,200 possible locations. 307,200 * 4.02 = 1,234,944KB.

>you felt like shit when you lost and blacked out
please dont tell me anyone did this. i beat the game my first time with a charizard i taught dig to and it was super effective against 90% of opponents

What if Pokemon came out on the SNES and you used this port to link your systems?

my mind is fucking blown man

>How Can Video Games Be Real If Pixels Aren't Real

Only retards who didn't actually play gen 1 say this shit. The meme glitches are barely even noticeable in normal gameplay,

>Johto alone didn't fit on the cart

this is a myth

Even I knew Wrap/Fire Spin/clamp were stupid back when I was 4. Genwunners are so dumb

>save it
what format?

And yet Wrap/Fire Spin/Clamp are more balanced than Shadow Tag

Usually Articuno. One of my friends used it on a raticate and I made fun of him for it

Shadow tag was balanced until gen VI with extremely limited distribution. Giving it to mega gengar was retarded

I spend just as much time reading the strategy guide as playing the game.

I chose Bulbasaur first and evolved it to Venusaur before deciding I didn't like it. Chose Charmander next and realized fire doesn't work on rock and realized it'd be useless against Misty too so I dropped it instantly and move onto Squirtle. I've always chosen the water starter since.

>double the map size

The only think I really noticed even as a kid was that Special is a fucking wasted stat.

The anime helped.

still probably my favorite pokemon game ever

Only autists 10 years later realized how broken it was

This game have literally 4 times more ROM space than pokemon red/green.
It's more of a showing of the moore's law than anything else.

That same autism prevents them from understanding that in 1998 no one playing pokemon was even cognizant of the concept of game balance, much less aware pokemon was unbalanced.

>There's way too much shit wrong with Gen 1

Not really

when the fuck is pokemon coming to switch so i can have an excuse to buy one

>pokemon
>something new
>when smt came befire

Half the people on this board didn’t play these at launch.

sonofabitch

pokemon was like 200kb dude, if that.

512KB in japan, 1MB us/eu (but mostly empty).

>Yay I beat the elite four! I'm done with this game now.

I hated victory road and seafoam islands.

That was Gold and Silver. Crystal was GB Color exclusive.

The anime certainly helped the franchise gain global appeal despite being mainly stuck on handheld systems. You could imagine that you were on your own anime journey and shit. But of course Pokemon took of on its own merits.

I remember using the MissingNo glitch on Red version to duplicate the Master Ball to get 99 of them. So, to answer your question: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, plus whatever other high level 'mons that I wanted to catch in Cerulean Cave.

>ORAS better than XY

Nah

The first pokemon gens were objectively terrible and only idiots liked them. The sequels proved to be far superior.

you don't need graphics when you have GOAT monster design and sprites

Gen 1's sprites were shit though

Music and simplicity makes (a lot of) Gen1 though.

go fuck yourself

I disagree but also nostalgia

Threadly reminder

watercolor is great but it doesn't look market ready

>golem has an extra toe

those monsters

>but it doesn't look market ready
As a kid I thought it looked awesome, I doubt I would have liked the new clinically clean and safe art direction as much when I was younger

Ya got me.

>You will never go back in time with the knowledge you have now and dominate all the kids at school in link battles

Ghost not working on Psychic in Gen 1 didn't even matter because not only were the only ghost types weak to psychic but the only ghost type moves that exist were Lick (with a pathetic base 20 atk), Confuse Ray (status), and Night Shade (fixed damage). Even if Ghost was propely SE Haunter/Gengar wouldn't be of much help.

>I missed out on every competitive scenes and gens over all these fucking years
>vgc 2018 March 3 Anaheim just right around the corner and I might miss it due to still not being fucking prepared at all one bit

Well... At least I went to last year's regionals for the TCG in Anaheim and it was a fucking blast nonetheless

I do that even now. I dominated a friend with shell smash Cloyster

>tfw Pokémon will never be as fun again
I remember discovering how to get Aerodactyl (RBY), and teaching it to my friends.
Restarting the game 2 times to get all starters.
Finding my first shiny, Gyarados doesn't count.
Stuck at victory road cause I didn't know HM Strength was a thing.

Classic art still the best