Dungeon Thread

What is the best part of a video game? That's easy, it's the dungeon!

This thread is dedicated to discussion of video game dungeons or games focused on dungeon exploration. Including, but not limited to:
>Roguelikes and Roguelites
>Dungeon Crawlers
>Action adventure Zelda-esque games
>RPGs
>Puzzle and adventure games
Anything that has a focus on the dungeon element is welcome in here.

What is the best dungeon you have ever played through?

Mordor Depths of dejenol is an amazing game, it's old, but gold.

My favourite dungeon was probably the one from the Dawnguard DLC where you help Katria get proof for her book that was ripped off by her mentor. Katria was the only NPC in Skyrim I actually gave a shit about, she was sweet and her story/the dungeon was too gratifying.

>Menu driven 1995 game
Dear god that takes me back. Reminds me of this game I got on a disc full of nothing but freeware games. Had like this MSPaint looking Conan dude wandering around and entering in dungeons. Something like Temple of the Winds? Never played too much of it. I was too stupid as a kid to get menu-driven games like that.

Should I pick up EOV? Last time I played the demo, I found it was a bit of a struggle because almost every fight was practically a boss fight, and I basically had to go back and heal almost every battle. Does it get better after the demo ends? Should I try another one first?

I bought it recently, it came in a big box, i didn't expect that.

I'd say the gold standard is Baldur's Gate 1&2 but I can't articulate what made those dungeons feel so dungeony and fulfilling to work your way through.

I think what makes Baldur's Gate stand out in general is the fact that it allows you to use skills and abilities outside of combat in a unique way that interacts with the dungeon. Instead of having to save MP for fights, you can throw a fireball into the fog of war and be rewarded, or even punished, by killing things you didn't know where there. That's just my two bits on it though.

Boss fights

Remember the shareware version of that. Pelagons n shieet

my favorite is the third one

anyome played star crawlers?

EOV is up there with my favorite games ever, if you build your party well and invest in good kit, it becomes challenging but not unplayable

I didn't feel it was necessarily unplayable, just that the least interesting part to me (the battles) was soaking up a good portion of time.

>What is the best dungeon you have ever played through?
My dream dungeon in War for the overworld!

Well, maybe not, but it gave me cozy DK 1 & 2 feelings.

Minecraft is unironically a pretty good dungeon crawler on player maps.

They're massive faggots these days but I think this sort of thing would be worth asking on /tg/

>They're massive faggots these days
I think this contradicts the later half of your statement, despite my love of Grimtooth and the traps within.

Dark Messiah, Diablo, Witchaven, severance:blade of darkness and Dark Souls come to my mind. There's a lot more, of course.

I generally enjoy dungeons more than fights

That's fucking Tomb of Horrors isn't it?

What? Also dwarf fortress

You don't know the tomb of horrors?

Oh man, I would kill to have you in a game just to experience it.

>takeshis_castle.gif

I'd join. Sounds like fun. Is it a tabletop game tho?

Not him, but just google it.
It's an "adventure module for D&D".

Tomb of Horrors is a module for D&D. If you aren't familiar with modules and how D&D work, then a simple metaphor could be to think of it as a cartridge for the game system of Dungeons & Dragons.

Tomb of Horrors is particularly famous for being a "meat grinder". The guy who created it, Gary Gygax, tended to run his games more like adventures and puzzles. Most people who played D&D back in the day played it more like a hack & slash and beat 'em up. The end result of Tomb of Horrors is 90% of people playing it get a TPK (total party kill) within the first 2 rooms of the dungeons.

To get a rough idea of how brutal it is, the first thing you have to do is to poke the side of a hill with a stick to find and dig out the tunnel leading to the actual entrance of the dungeon. But you have a 2/3rds chance of finding a false entrance that will absolutely kill your party if you don't have someone that can case Stone-to-Flesh or something similar, a high 5th level spell.

Buddy you don't know the half of it.

Holy shit. I want. Sounds like the kind of stuff I'd design.

Yeah that's it alright

How do you not know the Tomb of Horrors you dumb slag?

Had no autistic friends to join me for a good RP game. It's one of my deepest regrets in life.

I dunno if Cred Forums will let me upload .PDF files like /tg/ will, but if it does, here you go.

Edit: Here you actually go. If you need to find some rules to use/understand this, then I recommend looking up OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord. Either will work, albeit with a slightly different flavor, and both are free.

Thanks. Will do.

The Dark Spire and Elminage Gothic have some really nice dungeons.
Thanks for the upload

I don’t know if they count as dungeons but I loved exploring vaults in new Vegas