Thief thread, get in here taffers

thief thread, get in here taffers
I'm playing thief gold for the first time, currently going through pic related. now, I've yet to find all the stuff I need, so far I've only got the gemstone from the room with the haunt(great introduction of a new enemy btw) but I already think it's a fantastic level with great design and story. the first to mission were okay, if uninspired. this one just knocks it out of the park though. I don't even mind that it's barely a stealth level. I just love the exploration, the feeling of raiding an ancient tomb, blasting zombies (btw due to the sheer the amount of them in the bonehoard I completely lost the fear for them I had in cragscleft), avoiding traps, fucking buricks' shit up, just everything. tell me the rest of the game is at least as good as this mission is.

*the first two missions
Jesus I feel dumb

>tell me the rest of the game is at least as good as this mission is
there are missions in both thief gold and thief 2 that are better than bonehoard

from what I've seen in the threads, it generally isn't a liked level. why is that?

People go into the game with the idea that it'll be breaking into mansions every mission.
If you like Bonehoard, you're going to dig the Haunted Cathedral missions.

I mean, I liked the stealth focus of the first two levels but a whole game of this would be boring, it's nice that they mix it up with some adventuring stuff

I uninstalled the game when I hit Thieves' Guild
Thief 2 is better.

:/ what's bad about it?

bought the thief collection
gonna play the reboot for shits and giggles

Do these actually hold up?
One thing I've noticed about a lot of stealth games is they're insanely linear. It's usually "you either have a bunch of abilities to get past the enemy" or "there's a hallway where you just wait for NPC to look opposite to your direciton then wait in alcove, then exit when he's passed you"

you'll see
>: /
Retard alert.

It's linear insofar as the games have a bunch of levels you play in order, but the levels are very open ended and well designed.

>Do these actually hold up?
yes, they are fairly simple but also dynamic and flexible in a similar way to Doom or quake that always keeps it fresh
>a lot of stealth games is they're insanely linear.
yeah thief is almost the complete opposite of that

It's huge and extremely confusing to traverse with a lack of interesting environments after the first part to back it up. Also one of the side objectives is total bullshit. Easily the worst mission in the game, but you'd be a fool not to get past it (or at least skip it) to play the rest of the game.

The linearity varies from level to level but the better ones have a lot of different options and routes for completing them as said.

I'd say there's a lot of the latter but it takes a certain amount of skill. sound is crucial in thief. also levels are very open. also play on the highest difficulty level, it's not even that hard and it gives you the most conent

Okay so if we're to compare it to the older splinter cell games, there wasn't much reason to explore. You generally just wanted to get to the objectives and get out.

I understand from playing Bafford's Manner years ago that there's a necessity to get loot and thus explore - do all missions work like that (or at least most of them)?

Also do the mechanics change much from Thief Gold to Thief 2 since I know both have fan missions

There are side objectives and misc loot goals in nearly every level, between which there very much is a need to explore. Gameplay in the first two games is nearly identical.

>I understand from playing Bafford's Manner years ago that there's a necessity to get loot and thus explore - do all missions work like that (or at least most of them)?
exploring is necessary as you get to know most of the story through texts found throughout the levels. they also contain clues about the location of the loot or traps. in sc you've got mr exposition talking you through everything into your ear

That's pretty interesting. I'll try both games.

One last thing, are there any forced combat situations since from what I remember, the combat was abysmal

There's only one instance I can think of in either game where it's forced (although there might be more cases where you want to use it), and it's only for a few enemies and you don't have to use melee. It's just another objective you can complete however you see fit.
Melee can be pretty cool though.

yeah T1 isn't a purely stealth game, more like a D&D thief simulator, sometimes confrontation is necessary but it's usually with monsters you can easily beat or run from. the combat is wonky as shit but you can get used to it, besides you're not actually supposed to fight often

>1v1ing a haunt
impressive, is there a full video? does he beat it?