Tell me 1 trope you hate in vidya

>Tell me 1 trope you hate in vidya
>Tell me 1 trope you like in vidya

no

why

> "competitive oriented fighting game"
> everything is flashy rote memorized combos and repetitive ways to link into those combos

> game has depth, customization and micromanagement
> your gear and setup is what wins you the fight, not raw skill and reflexes

>"The game scales with you so you'll always have a balanced encounter"

>"The game keeps track of each activity done on your map so you don't have to worry about wasting time on certain locations"

so, technically, RPGs > fighting games?

>Any kind of past setting
>Protagonist is from a random ville
>That village gets burned to the ground
Is so predictable
>All the people you helped join you in the end/after the end

>muh chosen one/muh fate
why can't I be a normal fucking person for once in an rpg game?
>evil guy is actually doing the right thing in the greater picture
I'm a subjective morality faggot so this tickles my dickle

Gee, it's almost like I was talking about two different genres.
I prefer fighting games where it's ideal to learn how moves interact with each other over "memorize these five chains and use them whenever possible".
I prefer RPGs where the customization matters to a ridiculous degree, but balanced such that the average build you can get from just a bit of grinding for the best armor and weapon drops in an area will still get you through the area comfortably.

>friend betrays you

>villain becomes your friend

Ah, I see. It makes sense.

>chosen one
This is my problem with JP games and JP anime/manga. Take Attack on Titan for example. The first few books/episodes are a blast and are super exciting and tense. And then...the main character turns into a Titan. Because he's actually a shapeshifter. And instantly I lost all interest.

I was interested in seeing humanity fight back against overwhelming, monstrous odds. As soon as someone becomes "the chosen one" it becomes so boring.

>Character doesn't say something they have no reason not to say, and it fucks things up

>Secret behind the waterfall

Exactly. In fact, are there any games where MC obtains "some" power because "screw destiny", not because of "imma chosen one"?

There are western games where you kind of "become" the chosen one by working your way through shit. Morrowind was great for that. Azura straight up tells you you're not Nerevar reborn, but that you could become him in a sense by doing what the legends say he could do.

FF12 is a JRPG that actually bucks the chosen one trend. The original "main" character, Ashe, is the "chosen one" by the "gods" of the world (actually just higher beings that oversee us and steer our history). They choose her to become the next Dynast-King and conquer the world to usher in an era of peace, but she denies them, shatters their stone they use for creating Dynast-Kings, and essentially says "fuck you, we aren't your pawns."

Yeah, there are a *few* western games, but didn't hear about any recent jRPGs. The PS1 era had a few, but still not as many as the "chosen one" games.
Didn't play FF12, should I give the remastered version a chance?

>Tell me 1 trope you hate in vidya
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP
>Tell me 1 trope you like in vidya
THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

It just depends on how it’s played.

If you enjoy the slower paced MMO style combat of FFXI and EQ (before GCDs were a thing), definitely give FF12 a chance. I think it's one of the absolute best of the series and has an assload of hidden content and superbosses.

I don't mind slow-paced battles, and even though I prefer turn-based fights, MMO style still fits me too. Thanks!

tl:dr i'm bad at games

>one you like
I like the rival showdown (Jetstream Sam)

>One you don't like
Final boss is a QTE / Cutscene / gets cut short because of 'story'

No, user. I just prefer skill to "oh wow!!! he did one of the three strings he practiced 2 billion times that are guaranteed kill! holy shit!"

>Instant deaths in horror games
>dynamic music

>dynamic music
I love that too.