SYSTEM SHOCK REMAKE DEAD IN THE WATER

>In March of 2016, Nightdive Studios released our video of our vision of System Shock Remastered. Done in Unity it was an immediate hit with almost a half million views on YouTube. In June of 2016 we launched a Kickstarter campaign to make the vision into a reality. It was tremendously successful with over 21,000 backers contributing over $1.3 million to the campaign. We put together a development team and began working on the game. But along the way something happened.

>Maybe we were too successful. Maybe we lost our focus. The vision began to change. We moved from a Remaster to a completely new game. We shifted engines from Unity to Unreal, a choice that we don’t regret and one that has worked out for us. With the switch we began envisioning doing more, but straying from the core concepts of the original title.

>As our concept grew and as our team changed, so did the scope of what we were doing and with that the budget for the game. As the budget grew, we began a long series of conversations with potential publishing partners. The more that we worked on the game, the more that we wanted to do, and the further we got from the original concepts that made System Shock so great.

>Ultimately the responsibility for the decisions rests with me. As the CEO and founder of Nightdive Studios, a company that was built on the restoration of the System Shock franchise, I let things get out of control. I can tell you that I did it for all the right reasons, that I was totally committed to making a great game, but it has become clear to me that we took the wrong path, that we turned our backs on the very people who made this possible, our Kickstarter backers.

>I have put the team on a hiatus while we reassess our path so that we can return to our vision. We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project. Please accept my personal assurance that we will be back and stronger than ever. System Shock is going to be completed and all of our promises fulfilled.

OH NO NO NO NO

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=20MoEeo9B-U
youtube.com/watch?v=BFbLEAOZ-as
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's my turn to post next

Does anyone else find it hilarious that OP genuinely has a mental disorder?

People talk about scope creep, but the reality is some people won't buy a game unless it has a certain feature.

scope creep
FOR A REMAKE OF A GAME FROM 1994

Go away, reddit.

This is why games need publishers. No publisher would stand for it if a game dev decided to halt production for an unknown amount of time.

What a fuck up. Jesus Christ.

Too many "idea guys" too few sensible, forward-thinking and experienced people on that team

The reality is some people have no idea how to plan out and budget a project, and end up messing up a remake of a game designed at a time when machines were barely able to top 200mhz processing power.

So how many threads is this user?

What's with all the autists posting the exact same threads for days on end lately?

Their plan was to do a AAA re-imagining of Shock 1 with almost 1.5 million.

I guess it's supposed to be treated as some big fiasco but plenty pitches have failed this way.

is this the new Elysian Shadows?

People so love System Shock that they were willing to throw money at the bare promise of a remaster. It seems screamingly obvious to me that there aren't many changes you could make to the game without alienating and upsetting the fans who bankrolled the project in the first place.
The cynic in me says that it was obvious to the developer, too. They already got money from those fans, so why not change the game, give it broader appeal and sell it to another audience?

>We are taking a break, but NOT ending the project.
Please look forward to the second round of funding.

Try again without spouting Facebook memes.

I don't think it's bad on this case, more people need to be aware that Night Dive is a horrible studio.

Newfag

WHO EVEN CARES?

THEY'RE STILL MAKING SYSTEM SHOCK 3.

Different people making SS3

youtube.com/watch?v=20MoEeo9B-U
youtube.com/watch?v=BFbLEAOZ-as
Good riddance.

>mocks it for being more "fancy"
>doesn't realize its a remake and not a remaster

Didn't you already get called out for shilling your shit videos earlier?

Yeah, newfags posting the same exact thread over and over within the span of a couple days is a bit of a problem.

This exact thread again? Can you fuck off, no one cares.

t. OP

nightdive is the publisher dingus

The original is playable now by plebs on steam and GOG along with 2 and SS3 is forthcoming, what more do we need?

Underworld and SS3 better not suck.

If 3 is good, would you anons be interested in the same team tackling Bioshock?

I still don't get why people make a big deal 1.3 million. Game are expensive to make, 1.3 million would barely cover an inde game.

2M made Divinity Original Sin 2

A competent dev team goes a long way.

I can't wait for people to stop with that stupid "oh no no" thing

>games are expensive argument
Again with this shit? Not necessarily an excuse when many games have been accomplished with much less.

Bioshock is done, and after the story clusterfuck that was Infinite, which I didn't hate but don't consider canon to the story...well, there just isn't anything more to DO with Bioshock. 2 did absolutely everything that was left to do in Rapture and more. Going back to Columbia? Time travel bullshit prevents that or whatever Elizabeth did. There's nothing to do with the IP anymore, besides bring back 2's Multiplayer or something like that.

For the scale that System Shock was going for, it required much more than 1.3 million. They should've made a convincing demo and then found a publisher.

Need I remind you Serious Sam 3 was made with 500k$?

No it did not. They said on the kickstarter that they were already funding the game themselves, and that the kickstarter money was just to add some additional features.

they also learned a lot from the OS 1 kickstarter, particularly killing the physical release because it cost them a ton of money to do and few people bought it anyway compared to digital

Serious Sam had an amazing team with a clear goal in mind. The chuckle fuck team with SystemShock had no fucking idea what to do.

Well, at least they admitted their fucked ups before its release

Why is some autist posting this constantly like it's something to be proud about? I don't get it.

They aren't horrible. They're just incompetent.

until now it hasn't really been a studio, just buying out the rights to old games and getting freelancers like /vr/s own Kaiser to make them compatible and selling them on steam/GOG

They should've stuck to remastering the Turok games.

I really really want this one to be finished, just throw money at Atari until the problem is solved

I gave this project alot of money :/

lol, this reminds me of when Project Phoenix failed.

>SYSTEM SHOCK REMAKE DEAD IN THE WATER
Oh thank fuck.
Now the System Shock series isn't going to have a shitty modern "game".
I didn't want to see System Shock ruined with:
It doesn't matter how you assign your points, you can always win with the shittiest build!
Lootboxes
30fps
Press X to show a 2-second cutscene of your character doing something *awesome* because fuck gameplay
Cinematic
DLC
microtransactions
preorder bonuses
paid weapon reskins with bonus stats
always-online DRM
games as service - only 99 CREDITS(r) to get the code to that locker, or to repair your weapon when it breaks midcombat, or to refill your ammo
Customisation options for the game being mostly removed because we don't wanna scare the player with "options"
Combat streamlined and simplified
>it already is
Yes I know. They'll simplify and streamline it MORE. Like add VATS or something
QTEs to stay alive instead of deaths, so that the player doesn't feel frustrated for dying
Gameplay having tons of EPIC vignettes and camera cuts showing you just how COOL the ship is. Because fuck letting the player explore in first person, gotta assume direct control to make sure the player doesn't miss anything AWESOME!
Plenty of in-game messages discouraging cyberbullying, and shaming hate speech such as "git gud" or "l2p".
And also there's a el goblino creatura or something.

Yep, can't have a shit game if there's no game.
Feels good man

>I didn't want to see System Shock ruined with:
>It doesn't matter how you assign your points, you can always win with the shittiest build!
Stats added nothing to SS2

>Serious Sam had an amazing team
*Serious Sam had an amazing team and also Damjan