Under Night

Chilling with some UNIST tonight, having a blast playing this game.
Between online and training mode, I'm considering playing through the arcades and the chronicles, is the story in this any good? Any lore experts around?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/p0BtFmriPA4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh, I guess I will throw up a lobby since this thread exists, it's my birthday and I have nothing to do for 2 hours. Keyword is vee.
Anyway I finished the Chronicle mode a couple days ago, took me forever. I think it's pretty fun. It's certainly there, so you may as well give it a shot.

Is the Chronicle Mode like a visual novel or are there matches scattered in between?

It's a visual novel, there's absolutely no fights in Chronicle Mode whatsoever. I mean, you see them talk about people fighting, but there's no matches. Just dialogue.

Ah, okay. I heard Chronicle Mode was like a prequel to things that happen in the Arcade Mode so I was wondering.

Just starteed playing through Chronicles. There is A LOT of dialogue! It's an info dump! I suppose this is what I need if I wanna know the characters

Yeah, all the episodes on Chronicle Mode take place chronologically after one another, starting from "THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO" to "the day before the events of Arcade Mode", but it does that stupid thing where you unlock episodes in different places in the timeline so you might get out of place. It's not a big deal though, most of the chapters are just backstory specific to the character featured in it, and they explain frequent terms multiple times.

>Any lore experts around?
Hi, what would like to know?
Before [st], there was hardly anything aside from random bits of dialogue in the arcade mode runs so FB listened to fans and finally made a concrete story mode but it's mostly an enormous prologue that explains what every character was up to.

UNIST was unironically the most fun I've ever had with a fighting game. I'm glad I picked it up.

me on the left

i just beat chapter 1 of ories story and have like 4 more chapters to go. that 1 chapter was like 20 minutes of exposition
im gonna need a whole weekend for this one

I was starting to wonder if anyone would show up

It's extremely lengthy but that's what FB really had to get through since they had 4 years of world-building on the side to finally get down on paper.

lol she looks exactly like Mechanica from Arms

I loved the Chronicle mode. They did a great job with all the characters.

I have homework but I'm about to join the lobby. I'll passively spectate for now, maybe play a few to take breaks, if nobody minds. I'll leave if it starts to get full.

Don't worry, I'm closing it in like an hour and a half anyway, maybe sooner. I gotta go then.

Are there people who play off the vita version online? Might actually pick this up on mine.

Did I say an hour and a half? I meant like... 20 minutes. I don't know what people are planning. Maybe I'll be on later, maybe not, depends on when I get back.

I'm trying to do this one Yuzu combo. I know I can do it, it's just getting the timing right for the first part that I hate.

Somewhat. It's the same amount as the online for the PS3/PS4 online except not as serious. People will join the room and stay regardless of whether they're winning or not because it's just fun, and people in the vita general are always willing to play fighting games, including UNIST (and if you want, AH3 is also still big there).
Not an exaggeration. I was in a room with a few newbies earlier today and went 21/0 playing for hours
They added me to their friends list after

Sorry bout my connection, don't know what happened.

Are any of the colors actually references? I've seen people claim they are but the only one I could see was Enkidu and Geese. Also, maybe it's just me, but inputs feel a little off in this game to me, I tend to fuck up inputs as simple as quarter circles at times. I might just be doing them too fast, but has anyone else had that issue?

If anything, I found this game to be easier for inputs. Maybe I'm just getting better though but whereas I would struggle with the 623 input in combos, I can do them flawlessly in UNIST.

What in the world was that

sorry hydro that got ugly at the end there

Damn, both rounds were close. Good game Pargon

Thanks, i'll probably be picking this up on vita then. Besides i've been meaning to get into the lore.

One of Enkidu's is Kouma from Melty Blood. Linne has one for Ciel too.

Why is Mechanica in a weebshit game?

Eh the room won't be up by the time it gets back to my turn, I gotta go to something, still don't know what, you guys make one if you want
Jesus the lag is bad tonight though.

This game's older than that game.

You're too dead to mash, blue

Bad habits start coming out when I panic, I think.

Okay but for real though the room is closing after this one. I just wanted to give hippie one.

Anyone else want to make a room?

rip
Lobby is going back up at the regular time?

TILTED BY GORD
rip room, ggs all. might b back if theres another

I can keep playing right now, guess i'll make one

I told you I had to go. I'll start using Eltnum less in these lobbies and go back to Linne, I just wanted to get more comfortable with her since I didn't play her in the last game

I had no idea enkidu could whiff cancel that

Gonna remake the room, I put rematch settings on.

It said the data timed out

I don't think I can play with waifustealer, getting the same connection issues I got with wolfie a while back. I just can't see connection bars on him at all, not even a 0. Not sure what the cause is.

I did get UNIEL for ps3 but I got way too lost, had no idea how anything worked and there was not a single tutorial in it

UNIST has a very in depth tutorial that teaches you all of its mechanics, as well as mission mode for learning what combos characters are capable of.

Probably just distance.

I'm not certain it's that, because even with that Yuzuriha player from Europe I was getting a 0 and could play with him. Hippie is playing with waifustealer now with no issue, and I can play with Hippie with no issue.

I mean. Me and hippie's connection isn't the best, really. I've also fought you before (I think?) so I'm not sure what the problem is now.

Just wondering Hippie, how long did it take you to get that 66C>214A>66C>214B Wagner combo down? I tried it in training room for a couple hours at least and could not land the second 66C fast enough even one time unless my dummy was cornered.

That was like the second combo I came up with her.

Also, please stop doing the follow-up for 236 without a buff. You're also letting it end early and not letting all the hits land.

Well, guess I just need to keep at it. And noted.

I really need to take a look at Seth's frame data. Not used to him at all

I criminally underutilized all my light attacks because I'm too used to fighting Merk/Hilda/Yuzuriha

Right. Really surprised about that dashb beating out my 2C for oki. Is it really fast?

Lags getting worse against you, blue

Dash B is amazing but it's unsafe as shit on block.

Got it. It's cool that it vortexes

In that case I'll call it for the night. I have to confess I've been using wifi for a while now but I'm getting an ethernet cable delivered tomorrow so hopefully things won't be as bad going forward. I'll look at these replays later too, thanks for the advice again.

Lobby up?

Yep

Yeah

Finally, a Hyde player.

Well that went as expected.

nice to meet you all

Is he rare or something?

(´・ω・`)ノ

I'm the only one that plays him around here, aside from one other player who shows up from time to time.

How big is the lobby? I need a brake from my small practice session but don't wanna wait too long.

4 people so far

I think that eltnum 421b > IC6B combo drops on Hyde, Linne, and Hilda

I can pass for a bit if you'd like.

Are Gordeau and Chaos lovers?

I can probably 1 or two then.

Orbiter on Eltnum is not free, got it. Ouch.

Close Friends

(´・ω・`)ノ
Can't attack even with 5a after a close HU HU SHINPO, noted.

Akatsuki's tatsu is fucking retarded

You absolutely can.
It's only safe if I do a risky reflector or dp.

It looks punishable without CS but apparently I can still get countered even up close.

(´・ω・`)ノ

b tatsu is also free if you shield it

Where should I go if I want to learn how to play this game?

>Any lore experts around?
I don't want this to turn into the awful mess like GG threads

Mizuumi and the Discord are two good resources

We just need to avoid turning anyone into Jack-O/Baikenfags then.

Use the Tutorial

Okay that was fun. See you guys tomorrow night. Good matches all

Oh and sorry I bullied the new Hyde. I didn't notice your rank till second round.

Nah you're fine. It's all learning to me.
Later!

GGs man

I'm using the tutorial and I heard someone say it's pretty great, on par with SG

Yeah, don't be too afraid of my teleports. You'll get used to them soon.

>$10 cheaper on PS3
>free online with PS4 crossplay
Even P5 had free network functionality. I hope that doesn't change for the Catherine remake.

I actually wanted to see if I could 3c them at the very end. You were pretty high up there.

Just ask Hippie. He knows everything about how to punish my Yuzu.

Man, Wagner looks cool, i may have to try to learn her even though she's way of from my usual type of character.

3C has a ridiculous vertical hitbox. Anti-airs in this game are an absolute commitment though, you only gain head-invuln a couple frames after you try and throw it out. You really have to see it coming

Who are good characters for a beginner?

Yuzu or Hyde, probably Hyde

Gotcha. GGs either way.

Man i still have no idea what i'm doing in neutral. doesn't help that i'm not comfortable enough with my combos to land them even when i do get a hit.

If you're on tomorrow I'll show you true hell with my yuuhoo. You'll be blocking and punishing me by the end of the night

Hyde, Linne, or Carmine, possibly.

I started out trying Yuzu and couldn't for the life of me figure her out and switched to hyde on other people's advice.

>Do nearside linne path
>Then later nearside Orie
>Orie likes it in the ass but is otherwise worse girl than Linne

Next up, the farside Undernight paths!

Are they seriously called the near and far side routes?
That's a massive Tsukihime reference

What the hell is the 2nd half of your post.

They ain't.

I screwed up the punish, crap.
That throw range is ridiculous though. Is that universal?

It's a plan then. Looking forward to it

In case anyone was wondering why I had to leave and close the first lobby, apparently my sister had planned for us to go watch the 3D Black Panther movie for my birthday
Just thought it was funny

How do I Wagner?

Darn. That would have been pretty cheeky if they were

How popular is UNIST on PSN right now? Is it more popular than Blazblue CF and Revelator 2?

Probably not
Buff yourself

less popular honestly, but there's Cred Forums matches almost everyday if you're worried about not finding people

Well I mean those games usually have less than 100 people on at a time so if you're less popular than that I don't know.

Man, I have't seen any of the other Yuzu players of late. I wanted to show them a better way to do the 3-6/7 mission.

It's a joke. I mean, shit, there's not even sex scenes, it's all Tsukihimei references.

They're all dropping like flies once they realize she's tougher than most.

Yeah I kind figured that out after thinking about the whole anal part.

what should i even do when my opponent turtles like that. I feel like i can't do anything when my opponent remembers to crouchblock.

Tick Throws
Empty Assault Low/Grab

indeed, I learned my waifu is too much for me to handle. And thus she becomes avalon, an all-distant utopia of perfect girl who I cannot play competently.

I hope to build back up some day.

Plus, I don't have EX: Latest for some reason, Steam only had "EX Late"

Oh thanks, it honestly never occured to me to try an empty assault low. Anything else you can think of? Phonon's overheads are pretty telegraphed so asdie from running up and grabbing i'm having a hard time opening people up if they don't try to attack me first.

I'm going to try out Linne, Yuzuriha, Nanase, Mika, and Wagner. Wish me luck.

I even went to the effort of making a handy dandy video to show you can complete with all this other shit added on top.
youtu.be/p0BtFmriPA4
Just keep practicing

PARRY THIS

I don't play her enough to know her frametraps, sorry man.

I get hit by her overheads all the time. mix it up by jumping and assaulting, and then do her overhead, it looks like shes going to jump but she doesn't. Also try to charge it with the minimum time possible. Also that. She also has some crazy air moves.

I could have done literally anything but that and I would've punished it
Muscle memory, man

I'll make a lobby when I get off work around 9am EST

>I do not like this painting, it's smug aura mocks me

But Hyde is mostly a tag along to Linne.

Linne might be one of those characters I can't wrap my head around yet because they expect me to do a 214 immediately after a 63214 and I can't pull it off. Plus I can't seem to do her air j6[B] and land properly to do a 214A
Hyde on the other hand just requires delay-teching his rekkas to really get a grasp of.

Should I bother going through all the tutorial stuff before learning combos and stuff? It seems kinda tedious but at the same time the game feels like it has systems on systems.

Aside from a few select character specific stuff, it would be to your ultimate benefit.
However, you don't need to grasp the entirety of the game's universal mechanics to start playing though, I only really started giving a shit about GRD like 2-3 months in.

That is not what I wanted.

You should absolutely learn the systems of the game. They're really really important, especially the defensive ones.

It would've worked if you were closer.
Were you going for 236C instead?

enkidu is cool

Yea, I went from block to 236c, got 41236c because fingers probably

Well, I was more talking about in plot-terms than gameplay. I've been trying linne out after beating Hyde's Arcade Ladder twice now and feeling bold enough to try other characters.

I'm kind of enjoying the little speed-demon.

>that image
Between the three, I'd definitely vote Yuzu for main heroine even if, I think, she's a lot less plot relevant.

Like I've mentioned,m I only have EX: Late and lack chronicle mode.

>236c, got 41236c
Happened to me a bunch

I know i got destroyed, but i'm just so happy to finally land a single combo.

He's a pretty cool guy.
His victory screen lines are pretty great too.
I was still under the impression we were talking about who was easy to pick up and play.
>main heroine
It's still Linne but all four girls in your image are related to Hyde in some way or another.
That damage is pretty fucking crazy for an A starter.

Reminder that literally half the cast goes to the same fucking school

Do they? I know Carmine, Hyde and Orie do but who else?

Only Hyde, Seth, Carmine, and Orie got to the same school. Phonon and Nanase attend a different one while the Byak and Wagner attend somewhere else.

My first time with Wagner did not go according to plan

Your first time playing anyone hardly ever goes according to plan.

that's okay, Wagner looks like the type of girl to have low expectations for the first time anyway.

What is that vagrant planning on doing with Vatista?

my FUCKI(NG CONTROLLER keeps disconnecting

Give her a home.

git gud

IM TRYING MAN
I switched to my other identical but older controller

i liked that round 1 hyde

I would like to play but I'm not even awake then even though I should be.

I might be able to make that

How do the ranks work in this anyway? like what's the hierarchy for colors?

Light blue, dark blue, green, yellow, orange, red and purple.

white is no rank. light blue is lowest rank. purple is highest

Just like Blazblue then, cool thanks.

So is dping between projectile -> tatsu not possible or was I screwing it up?

Either you're out of range or you were just slow?

If Aka does it close enough to when the fireball hits, it doesn't have a gap

difficult but possible. easier if you shield the fireball first. Jesus christ this five frame delay is busting my balls, I can't meaty for shit.

I'll have to check the replay then. Just wondering if it was a true unsafe blockstring. Cost me that round trying to do it twice.

These are still some great matches tho

Does no one play Hilde? She's the first character I've really got interested in.

Only one Hilda player around these parts
Depending on proximity, that fireball is safe

Freund does. He not around though.

I only ever played this for Sion

Our regular hilda main won't be here tonight but will hopefully join us again in these lobbies within the next couple of days if not tomorrow.

Who?

Who gramps here means is Eltnum.

That was fun. I have no idea what I'm doing, but the best way to get good is to get beat.

Ahh, that make sense

Is there data out there about usage? What are the top 3 and bottom 3 most popular characters?

I would also be interested in knowing this.

None that I'm aware of.
That sort of statistic is usually from arcade cabinets

Oh well. What about in these Cred Forums lobbies then, ancedotally?

At least on acho

>pre-english release
Akatsuki were the most played. I also remember 3 Enkidu players and 3 Chaos players
>post-english release
Mika and Linne seem to dominate the most played so far.
Since release, these lobbies have been lacking in Seth, Orie, Byakuya, Wald, and Vatista. There's been a couple Gords and Carmines though.

we've had several hydes, akatsukis, linne's, nanase's, mika's, wagner's, and enkidu's. everyone else has only ever had one or two people main/competently play them. Except for maybe waldstein, we've had a main for more or less every character.

I was thinking about trying out byakuya once i got more comfortable with the game in general. He looks fun.

Thanks. Are Phonon, Seth, and Orie harder to play or is there some other reason they seem very popular in but not in the lobbies?

I'd like to try vatista but I cannot into charge.

Phonon and Seth are both very very strong in this version.
Phonon is also really popular on console, and we have 2-3 that come to the lobbies.
I have no idea about Orie.

Seth is definitely harder which is why he's not played much, but I personally think people don't play phonon because of her less intuative playstyle and they don't play orie because she's boring.

I assume any sort of Orie fans around Cred Forums are 90% waifufags who don't play the game while Phonon at least has one or two decent players around here.
I imagine Seth's execution barrier halts newer people from trying him.

>buy the English version on launch day
>go to Ranked to try and get some good matches with newcomers (not a bully, I'm meh myself)
>forget the servers are cross-region
>tank my win/loss rate due to getting matched with high-level JP Vatistas
>tfw I main Akatsuki

>tfw I main Akatsuki
This isn't an excuse anymore.

Akatsuki vs. Vatista is awful.
I know that feel, man.

still a bad matchup.

It is against for a bunch of people.

> it is against for a bunch of people
what?

Well shit, I was interested in Orie since I like rapier characters (I played Raphael in Soul Calibur). Guess I'll find out when I pick up the game this week.

Oh no, Akatsuki is way better in ST
But he's still trash against Vatista

It is for a bunch of people, the match-up

Does vatista even have any "bad" matchups?
Other than a mirror?

None that I can really think of. She's got a bunch of good moves to cover herself.

carmine and seth. carmine because meaty projectile oki doesn't care about your flashkick, and seth because good luck zoning him with those teleports, or reacting to mid combo sideswitch resets properly.

GGs everyone.
Fun rounds tonight.

>Play through Chaos' Chronicles mode to see his backstory
>He's literally just some guy who steals a book from the Licht Kreis, bodying Orie in his first encounter
My sides.

Guten Nacht, friend.

GGs man

GG's looking forward to playing you again sometime.

ggs

Might play later if lobby is around, but no promises. Good luck tonight to everyone!

mika is a good girl

FINALLY.

good match for real tho

Been a bit too long since I've touched the game. Too much Tekken since I competed at Strong Style. Need to get back into UNI mode a bit

no better time than now, especially with all the new people we've got.

I wonder what Merkava does with everyone he's defeated. You think he's building a nest?

He eats them.

Of course not. His nest is already built and houses his children in it. He needs to bring back those W's to feed his family

Well I'm actually not sure because you'd think he eats them, but some of his win text seems to imply otherwise sometimes.

I'm 100% certain I've seen win text call Waldstein a little girl.

Don't trust the trickery of the night.

>10 frames of lag

Jesus Christ thats unplayable

My internet is laggier than usual today, so I'll call it quits for now. GGs.

Yeah, we have an aussie player and a malaysia player.
As much as I appreciate them playing the game, that 0 bar connection is god-fucking-awful.

This is the kind of mode I would have liked Skullgirls to have at some point, but no, 90% of the lore is just shit that the devs talked about so it's on a wiki but that's it.

>Nanase is the de-facto tomboy of the series
Not like this

wait a minute carmine is a high schooler? all this time i thought he was older

I always feel like keeping myself on spectate so I don't waste anyone else's time. If I lose, I get salty because of the lag. If I win, I don't feel satisfied because I won because of lag.

Speaking of which, Aussie Linne, could you add a Notsofullfrontal to your friend's list? I have this theory in mind that our connection is shit against each other in these lobbies because we're hosted by someone in America. So maybe if we cut that middleman out, we could make out with about 5 frames of lag.

He's a 3rd year

I do believe the host's connection does affect the overall connection, but it shouldn't be that significant. Still, worth a try.

does shota seth act as cute as he looks

Yes

>carmine is just a linkin park edgelord teenager who has weaponized slitting his wrists
well this changes everything

His side of the story is that he just likes fighting other punks and then one day, he let one thug go and said thug brought back a friend who had powers. Carmine beat him up too and heard rumors that he could get powers like it, it just happened to be blood that he could use when he got them.

Well what do you know, we have an Orie player now.

>random into a mirror

>Two separate win-quotes has Enkidu thanking you for a match
What a cool guy

Hey Hippie, is there hit limit to where doing delayed rekkas won't allow a follow-up? (e.g. too many 2as beforehand) I keep second-guessing myself and don't attempt them.

I also keep forgetting to try the j.b j.c j.6c you do but that's on me

Goddamn, is that a wald specific combo?

5/2A starters don't allow for the delayed rekka to really work to begin with, that or it's really fucking hard but I don't remember seeing anyone do any advanced rekka combos from a light confirm. You've been landing 5B starters a lot and that leads into a lot of big damage if you know the route.

236A-A into 22A?
Scratch that, I think they work in the corner but forget about any rekka delay combos midscreen off a light confirm.

yeah fireball into the spike. I've never seen that juggle before.

Nah, it's a pretty normal confirm. I just did that on you because I couldn't be bothered to close the gap on you when you were that close to being dead.

Dang gotta change my strat now.
Yeah, I seen what you've been able to chain so I'll try to mimic it next time I'm in training. Or at least an easier version for now.

GGs. Will likely be back in the lobby again this week.

GGs.

The easiest extension for mid-screen rekka delay combos are
3B > 2C > 236A~A > 66C > 214BBB

3B > 5[C] > 214BBB

3B > 236B~B

I try to use more advanced routes like the 3C > jC > j6C for the wallbounce and try to continue after but this took me like 4-5 months to really attempt. There's even stuff like 5C > 236A~A routes but I haven't done them in a while.

Delay rekka combos in the corner use a lot of 22A so you should get that into your system when you can.

ggs

Sweet, thank you.
Wasn't able to extend but I did pull off the delays against Cuts, so that's something

GGs all, i'm done for now. great playing with you guys.

ggs.

GGs man

Hah, ended just like it began. GGs everyone.

The lobby got started early so I'm going to end it here. GGs folks. Join us again tomorrow.

GGs