Ludonarrative dissonance

>ludonarrative dissonance

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wss_Jf9ZQK8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some games have it. They're usually worse for it, as the story seems off when the gameplay doesn't support it. What's your problem again?

It's a geniune complaint though.

Niko in GTAIV wants to start his life over but the player can still go on a killing rampage. Gameplay and story shouldn't be at odds with eachother.

You know what they say, you can't make an omelette without a killing spree.

But I think the most annoying aspect is cutscenes where protagonists suddenly fail at the most basic tasks that the player had no issues with. Like, Lara, you have an assault rifle, fuck off with that bow.

>ludo = playo > game > gameo

>littynarrative dissonance

It's a valid complaint in many games, especially open world games that gives the player an incentive to do something they may not want to do, but their character does. Fallout 4 is a big one.

>Deadrising 3
>wearing goofy halloween mask and hitting people with a wacky absurd weapon
>is suddenly sad and remorseful in cutscene

>tfw someone recommends you a game but it's actually a Ludo

>Gameplay and story shouldn't be at odds with eachother.
Story doesn't matter in video games, so that's irrelevant.

Let me guess, you only play the latest hype in online games.

If the story is so awful it starts to detract from the gameplay then it becomes an issue.
Cred Forums already had this discussion many many times a couple of years ago, keep up nigga.

fancy word for meta

Honestly I only really find it to be an issue if the parts of gameplay you're forced to do in the story conflict with the story parts you can't affect.
Going on a killing spree in GTA outside a mission where you single handledly take on the Army, then escape scot free, no problem.
But then the game has you canonically assassinate high profile targets or take on a connected small town police force with no real consequence, but then you get strong armed by relatively small time players and just TAKE IT is stupid. And all the stupider when in the end your solution was to just fucking shoot them and the story just ends with that pretty much being it.

Far cry 3 basically

Raunchy

youtube.com/watch?v=Wss_Jf9ZQK8
Chromatic aberration (abbreviated CA; also called chromatic distortion and spherochromatism) is an effect often used by the artist commonly known as Shadman.

But they have five people with guns! No player character could ever take on so many enemies, you're clearly surrounded and must give up.

Its called "kino". If you say ludo one more time I'll blow this thread up, I swear to god.

based

It's only an issue when everyone jizzes themselves over a game's story. If the story doesn't gel with the gameplay you're better off just reading a fucking book.

pic related is a game that did it right

No. If the sstory is bad enough and clashes too hard with the gameplay, it becomes a flaw.
Your story sshould be, at bare minimum, non-intrusive. If it manages to be good, that's a plus. But you should never have a sstory that clashes with or detractss from the gameplay.

Books don't

Hi Dayo

?

It worked because Jason’s character arc was shown through the player becoming a more capable warrior

Depending on how you play the game you could end up freeing most if not all the island before the final confrontation, a few missions before even.
Plus you can one man army your way through anything so the subterfuge doesn't make a whole lot of sense.