Name 5 things about breath of the wild that didn't improve on things from other 3d zeldas

Name 5 things about breath of the wild that didn't improve on things from other 3d zeldas

hard mode no weapon durability or no heart pieces

Too much walking, a staple of 3D Zeldas since OoT that was only fixed in MM. Sailing doesn't count.

It makes it easier to get lost in the world desu

also, I wonder if zelda's feet smell really bad wearing those boots all day...

The narrative
The combat
Feedback loop(look around for twenty minutes to find a 5 minute shrine woohoo)
The enemies
Dungeons

What do I win?

Salty feet

MM is my most replayed game, and trust me, it has plenty of walking itself.

Besides, having everything too close together just makes the overworld feel cluttered and largely boring.

I have
never playedbreath of
the wild
the game

My favorite part of MM is how tight and condensed Termina is.
Nothing feels pointless y'know.

This. A lot of open world games are too sparse but they can also be too dense. BotW has just the right balance of density/openness IMO.

That's because it's a movie

Story
Progression
Dungeons
THE FUCKING COMBAT
Bossfights
Music

It did almost everything worse. Tried to make up for it with endless running around empty fields for hours.

People say that, but the central field in Termina is really kinda empty and it becomes more obvious the more you replay the game. That's not a bad thing though, Zelda games need at least a little space to provide a sense of real traversal.

worse dungeons
worse music
worse enemy variety
worse final boss
worse story

we can only hope that's the case desu

bootfeet is GOTY all years

Are you kidding it did progression much much better.

Music too

Fuck no, BOTW felt like I was wasting my time 60% of the time. Maybe if I was a kid or a Neet.
I have limited time and many games to play.

I'd say the open world in shadow of the colossus is the biggest you should get if your world is empty.
Skyrim or morrowind if you have quests.
Gothic 2 is a great example

This

>The narrative
Zelda stories were always mediocre. BotW less so
>The combat
You kidding? 3D Zelda has shit-tier combat. The only time it was any good was TP. BotW is an upgrade in every way.
>The enemies
Are you implying previous 3D Zeldas didn't have shitty moblins and orcs?

Worse than what?

he said "Name 5 things about breath of the wild that didn't improve on things from other 3d zeldas"

so to answer your question I would say "worse than other 3d zeldas"

Zelda games were never good

>Are you kidding it did progression much much better.
Absolutely not.

BotW has plenty of density though, especially when you're just starting the game and exploring the overworld for the first time. There's always something to find within a moment's reach because of how dense the map design is.

But it isn't too much. The overworld is highly streamlined compared to OoT (and any of its imitators) and the bunnyhood not only exists, meaning Link has INFINITE running ability, but is obtainable quite easily as well. If BotW didn't have stamina for running it wouldn't be an issue, but you have to stop running every 5 seconds which is pretty gay. Imagine OoT if walking backwards or side jumping consumed magic. That would be terrible.

>boss fights worse in BotW

This has to be bait.
There's nothing more braindead about previous 3D Zelda games boss fights

>use dungeon item to stun boss
>hack n slash 3 cycles to win
That's literally every non BotW 3D Zelda boss fight.

God you fucking idiots seriously need to replay previous 3D Zeldas and realize how much of a toddler games they are.

Zelda 2 was good

There is literaly no progression. How can you say this? Its a sandbox where you can go to the last boss from the start. Progression was thrown out the window before the game got made.

Unless you mean progression in the sense that you slowly power up Link. To which I would say it was worse than ever. boring hunts for boring shrines to get a miserable extra heart or stamina bar to make running around a tiny bit less miserable.

I like playing a game that has a linear progression, I dont necessarily mean corridors, something like xenoblade chronicles 1, the game has huge areas to explore but its set up in a way that you need to progress the story to get somewhere else, that is the feeling of progression and journeying that is lost to this game.

>Dungeons, or lack thereof really
>combat mechanics
>general storytelling
>boss fights
>the characters, including Zelda herself

dungeons
equipment
music
enemies and bosses
side content (having lots of side content =/= having good side content)
>Are you implying previous 3D Zeldas didn't have shitty moblins and orcs?
previous zeldas had MORE than just shitty moblins and orcs
same shit applies to BotW's bosses except the tools you're given let you break the fights even more easily, there's less variety in boss fights and there's less boss fights overall, not to mention you get punished for completing all the dungeons with a worse final boss

Yeah, nah. It's one of the best things about the game

>But it isn't too much

Mostly because of items that can increase your speed like the Bunny Hood or the Goron Mask. BotW has things that increase your speed too, although I'll admit that the stuff in MM was cooler just because who wouldn't want to roll around as a fucking Goron?

There is progression though?

Density? Define "something" to find.

Another shitty seed? another weapon that will break in 5 minutes? another boring shrine?
What exactly, was there to find?

Because my memories of the game for the most part are of me just running around endlessly looking for shrines. At some point even exploration got boring because you knew you would find absolutely nothing new.

No, BotW lets you tackle boss fights however you want
It's not shitty formulaic "key item+stun+slashslashslash" braindead shit like in previous games.

A single Lynel fight takes more skill and thought than any old 3D Zelda boss fight

>previous zeldas had MORE than just shitty moblins and orcs
Wow just like botw

The music was good, I KIND OF liked the dungeons, the story was better than TP and SS, but I agree with the rest.

Uh, we just had this thread

Depends on what we mean by progression.
character progression is one thing, World progression is another. Zelda lacks world progression because its all open from the start.

And the character progression is a grind for shrines. Not my idea of fun.

I didn't say story faggot I said narrative. Disjointed storytelling is garbage.
The combat is mostly personal prefence, I miss rolling and the hookshot and don't like parries in most games except MGR. Zelda revolutionized 3D combat btw.
And don't even try to tell me BotW has good enemy variety compared to prior entries.

>hardmode no weapon durability
SS had shield durability and it was shit then, nintendo had 6 years to figure out it's trash

Theres always room for discussion user, just hide it if it bothers you.

Cool, let's start doing that

>Density? Define "something" to find.

Keep in mind that I'm just listing the amount of things to find/do. Whether you personally enjoy it or not is another story:

>shrines
>environmental puzzles / shrine quests
>korok seeds
>wildlife hunting / general resource collecting
>enemy camps to engage in combat
>robust cooking system with plenty of experimentation
>sidequests
>main quests
>compendium collecting
>fairy finding / armor upgrading
>treasure hunting
>basic navigation that involves weather/climate adaptation and stamina management
>tower climbing/registration
>overworld minigames
>finding various secrets outside of these activities like the lord of the mountain or the horse god or kilton's shop or the dragons

>Zelda lacks world progression because its all open from the start.
This isn't a bad thing. And it's not like it's not harder to just charge straight to ganon with three hearts and starting gear

Also shrines are not a grind given they're all different

>Disjointed storytelling is garbage.
Read better books

I should just read chapters in what ever order I feel like then?
Sorry I don't like your Zelda Momento bro.

>BotW lets you tackle boss fights however you want
and that leads to bosses being even more braindead because you have too many options to cheese them you retard
>A single Lynel fight takes more skill and thought than any old 3D Zelda boss fight
lynels are probably the best enemies in the game and it's actually embarrassing how they're better than every boss in the game, but even they can be cheesed just as easily because the combat mechanics are fucking broken
BotW has horrible enemy variety
>bokoblins
>moblins
>lizalfos
>chuchus
>wizzrobes
>keese
>guardians
>flying guardians
>lynels
>yigas
>oktoroks
>pebblits
in comparison, OoT, a fucking N64 game, has:
>deku babas
>skulltulas
>keese
>like likes
>peahats
>deku scrubs
>poes
>redeads
>moblins
>wall and floormasters
>dodongos
>dinolfos
>gerudos
>armos
>stalfos
>stalchild
>wolfos
>bubbles
>tektites
>oktoroks
>gohma larvae
>baris
>freezards
>gibdos
along with more bosses and more mini-bosses

On second thought stick to your RA Salvatore shit, it's probably for the best

>Whether you personally enjoy it or not is another story

Thats the main issue though.

Ill give you the secrets but for the most part all the gathering, shrines, shitty combat, korok seeds are a compilation of things I dislike.

The game is at its best when you see a landmark and then head out to find it, but eventually you realize there is nothing there that makes it worthwhile anymore. There is no Mistery, without mistery there is no reason to explore.

The game is at its best at the start, when you haven't realized how utterly repetitive and lifeless it really is, and you set out to find secrets in the world.

Eventually you just want to advance the story and get it over with but will get destroyed by the enemies in 1 or 2 shots which forces you to look for ponds, shrines and equipment.

Im not saying the game is objectively shit, Im saying I hate everything about open world design.
Even the last asscreed made a better open world than zelda. Ubisoft, of all publishers, for crying out loud.

BOTW makes up for it with the deeper combat encounter design. OoTs combat is much simpler and limited you cannot deny

Nah dude what books you recommend?
I'm reading Notes From Underground right now.

>shrines are not a grind

It is if you hate them

>Even the last asscreed made a better open world than zelda
And yet BOTW was still the better game, huh.......

Of course you are

>This isn't a bad thing.

I havent played a game where the progression, story, balance and narrative are not annihilated by making the entire game available from the start.

Well yeah any game is a grind if you hate playing it?

>Thats the main issue though.

But it's a subjective issue. If you're going to ask me for a list of things to discover or do in the overworld, I can help you, but if we're just going to argue in circles over which ones you enjoyed the most, I can't help you because that just depends on the player. Some activities that you hate are activities that other players and myself might enjoy, and arguing about that sort of "mileage may vary" stuff is always utterly useless in a discussion about games. All I can do is discuss the content that's actually there in objective terms.

Threadly reminder: anyone who says BotW has a shit story or did story worse has outed themselves as a shitposter that's never actually played a Zelda game before. Story is largely nonexistent in Zelda, and other than SS, BotW had more story and plot than any other zelda game before it.

But it's harder to run straight to ganon from the start but still cool that you can. Keep crying

you obviously just don't like zelda games
why are you even posting in this thread?

Fuck no. I cant believe im defending ubisoft but the open world there was much more packed with content and was actually interesting to explore.
The climbing mechanics blow zelda out of the water. Even the half assed combat actually works and your weapons are reliable.

Well cmon user, flaunt that superior taste of yours. What books?

of course its subjective. I dont make objective claims.

Im saying I fucking hated it and its deisgn.

Fuck yes.

>its cool that 99% of the game is optional content.

Cool, much story, wow

You're reading user the novel, so brave. Be honest, did you do it because Peterson told you to?

Dont give me this crap, I played OOT MM TP SS.

I liked them all better than botw. Though they are not my favorite games ever if thats what you mean.

The point is that progression is still important and certainly not "annihilated" as you claimed

Oh well

Who? I heard about the book awhile ago from ThugNotes I think, just haven't gotten around to it until now.
Yeah it being user the novel sorta drew me in I'll admit.

>there are zelda fans RIGHT NOW that actually prefer "muh linear" experiences in a zelda game

thank god nintendo is weeding you faggots out, one by one

100% of all video games are optional, fuck off. Nobody's making you play them.

Like I said before, I dont think we are talking about the same sort of "progression"

Im not talking about character progression. I'm talking about narrative progression.
Open games suffer because by definition, there is no narrative progression, you can go anywhere.

If this was a book, a story, a legend as the name implies, youd get a linear progression of events. You dont merely jump from the first chapter to the last.

The only instance of linear progression in the game is when you abandon the plateau for the first time.

Because the game cant account for where the player will go next the story and narrative have to be absolutely nonspecific and disjointed. Therefore it fails to form a compelling narrative. with characters following chronological events.

This also means that bossfights and enemies are not balanced in a way that makes sense, since the devs have to account for all possible player levels, some will encounter them and get annihilated others will wipe the floor with them.

Everything is chaotic. This is the progression I'm talking about. It does not feel like a legend, it feels like a themepark.

No you fuck off crybaby maggot. I played the game because I was interested. Hated it and now I'm stating the reasons. If you dont want to debate and get butthurt when somebody disagrees with you then you dont belong in Cred Forums.

>you can go anywhere
That doesn't mean there's no narrative progression, dude. The narrative in this game is of link emerging from the shrine and growing to stop ganon, learning about the world along the way by travelling through it. And again the gating you're talking about is there as it is harder to face ganon the less you develop your character. You have no actual argument

No, the narrative in this game is one of Link emerging from the shrine, getting powers , leaving the plateau and then doing whatever the fuck the player wants to do.

After that point everything is up in the air and you can do anything in any order no matter what, therefore nintendo could not weave a compelling narrative, the divine beasts and their villages become isolated events, forever disconnected from each other.

You can do them, you can skip them you can do whatever, Try reading a book skipping entire chapters, or watching a movie skipping scenes.
You will miss important stuff and get lost in the narrative. This is what it means to have a narrative, if you can skip so many things in the game and still get to the end, you dont have a narrative, you have a playground.

This is because nintendo wanted people to go out there and form their own personal "stories"
It was intentional. They did not make a narrative for this game, they made isolated optional events and a bunch of optional backstory scenes to allow the players to do whatever they wanted.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. I'm saying you can have one or the other, freedom to go and do anything, or a compelling narrative, but you cant have both.

All my other points about balance and bossfights hold true