Tfw this could have been the standard for MMOs

>tfw this could have been the standard for MMOs

youtube.com/watch?v=bKJSC_mteIg

Gw1 wasn't an MMO though

Yes it was, it was just highly instanced.

I will never forgive Anet for what they did to necromancer.

>instanced world
>you can only meet other players not in your party in city hubs
Yeah no, shit design for an MMO.

Is there even MM in GW2?

If GW is an MMO so is:
Diablo 2
Call of Duty
Monster Hunter World
etc

Or Mesmer

It's a really shitty watered down version which gets blown the fuck out in every fight and has no reason to exist.

It's not an MMO and that's okay. Games are allowed to be good and have persistent online without being MMOs.

As opposed to good design in MMOs like bad navigation, bad skills, bad classes like in every other MMO.

necro

There were MMOs before WoW believe it or not.

MHW could be argued to be an MMO

>tfw consider one of the best features of the game to be instancing

Yeah and they aren't around any more.

The game's instancing really did work to its favour. You could balance encounters for a party perfectly and not design it around some dumb upscaling system which doesn't stop fifty retards from running over everything in their path anyway.

No, it really could not. I'd even go so far as to consider WoW to hardly be an MMO anymore with its server crossing phasing.

I feel like everyone forgot GW over the years and it fucking hurts there is no alternative inb4 'it's still online', yeah without new content forever.

There was D&D Online for a while but that's very dead now too.

yeah, that unbalanced shit is so much better when it comes to creating immersion in a living virtual world. I'd take getting lost for hours over instanced world any time of the day.

>Never got past level 13
>Every build needed to be highly optimized
>Monk/War being some bullshit
Fucking loved the world, though.

I was hyped as fuck for GW2. It's boring as shit. But, again, love the world.

I reinstalled it a week ago.
One of my old characters was left in Random Arenas.
God fucking damn can't believe how empty it is now. Used to be you couldn't see your character from how many people there were in RA.

anyone have a level 20 pre-searing character?

>you will never sit in ToA waiting for halls to be won so you can enter FoW/UW

No.
The first M in MMO stands for MASSIVE, and that's not just referring to the world design. MMOs are games where a large number of players play within a given area at the same time.
GW1 went out of its way to avoid being called an MMO, instead preferring the term Co-RPG

Not really. You have utility skills that generate minions but they
>don't use corpse exploitation as fuel
>only summon a single minion of that type (save for bone minions which give you two)
>no degeneration so no managing your minions health
>no spells to buff your minions or give their attacks additional effects

and the traitline that improves your minions, Death Magic, is so shitty that there's no reason to run it in any serious capacity

So technically yes, you can be a minion master but it's NOTHING like it was in GW1

if its so great then why is it dead?

servers are still up, loons.

GW1 wasn't a MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER game.

It was indeed an Online Role Playing Game though.

have you played/seen GW2?
it's Aion 2. now.
GW, Anet is dead. it's now Nexonsoft-wallet grab.

I don't know who made GW2 so toothless in terms of interesting design compared to GW1. MO was there but it clearly wasn't enough given that most classes were considerably watered down in terms of unique gameplay styles, even with the new class mechanics they added.
I liked the idea of some skills being tied to weapons but they don't add any new ones for you to swap out. They were completely unwilling to add the new content most people would have loved and kept hammering on the shit story as the central focus of basically everything

>now
It was dead and shitty on arrival, now it's just shitty in the normal MMO ways instead of shitty in comparison to GW1

I loved both GW1 and GW2. Tempted to return for GW2 for WvW, but having no expansions not sure if it will be worth it.

It was a CORPG, you don't call massively multiplayer a game where only the cities and outposts aren't instanced. MMO fans shat on it constantly because it wasn't a real MMO, that's why we got a rushed EoTN instead of GW Utopia, most people were waiting for GW2.
And now they are hating it precisely because it's a MMO.

big problem is they've completely embraced the theme park mentality
they're constantly coming out with new exciting shit for players to burn through in a few hours, while refusing to take a look at older systems and give them a polish
dungeons are dead, underwater combat will never be worked on, and anet has plenty of other redheaded stepchildren that they'll continue to neglect

thief is still good without expansions

What about shortbow thief? Since i love the bombs and leeching xp with multihit default shot.

Lineage was supposed to be a saviour of MMO genre, but it eventually ended up trying to mimic WoW and thus failed.

yeah its fine.

shortbow has always been used for mobility/utility, though not so much for damage

>B-but instanced!!!

So is wow and XIV is almost as heavily instanced.

>though not so much for damage
the bomb spam was devastating in WvW though, you just use it in melee range spamming it under your own feet and detonating immidiately.

Haha, no, WoW is not nearly as instanced, at least it wasn't back when I was still playing. I can imagine phasing getting out of hand, but even that is still not the same thing. Also even in instanced areas like certain islands, you could actually meet players NOT IN YOUR PARTY. What a novel concept.

you're both so right

I fucking hate GW2 so fucking much

>tfw will never play anything as fun as member again

>roll into RA with signet of midnight, empathy, backfire and diversion
>well rounded to deal with most enemy teams
>be a giant pain in the ass the enemy team has to deal with or they get shut down

>roll into FA with mantra of recovery, arcane echo, and diversion
>spam the shit out of diversion
>at one point an enemy monk said I disabled their entire bar

It hurts, Cred Forums...

You mean FFXI and SWG could have been the standard for MMOs.

*mesmer dammit

Running to Droks for tips

GW2 is made by bunch of retarded SJWs and trannies so no wonder it's fucking shit.

I agree, which is a shame since even FFXIV updates old content from time to time (most noticeably with ARR)
I just don't fucking know how to deal with how uneven GW2 is with its design and focus

What should I play instead of GW2? Was thinking something along the lines of Tera, Blade and Soul or Dungeon Fighter, but don't know.
Anything as satisfying as GW2 Engineer is good to me.

I just want a HD Ragnarok Online remake. EXACTLY THE SAME GAME. Just less lag.

Every time I come here I am reminded again and again of just how much I hate gw2