youtube.com/watch?v=OlIkGlTMUNE
screeps.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=g1jpa-Wlwds
gog.com/game/uprising_2_lead_and_destroy
youtube.com/watch?v=iomMqMQ0iao
twitter.com/AnonBabble

JEWS XD

it died

Cred Forums whined nonstop about it being dead while other people continued playing it

Aoe2 was made.

No need to bother making another RTS.

MOBA

it was perfected to the point there is literally nothing else to be added to the gameplay.

Starcraft 1&2
Red Alert 2
AoE 2
Empire Earth
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Supreme Commander

Etc.

The shift to moba, and people realising that they just syck at it, but before it was fine because everybody sucked at the time.

Heck I love rts but I suck.
Easily defeats the standard difficulty in AoE2 but moderate just stomps my armies.

autists couldn't handle anything more than the part of the game that involves moving troops around and fighting so MOBAs took over

>1920x1080 AoE

It died, no one makes RTS games anymore since they're no longer popular and profitable. The golden age of the RTS genre has long been over.

MOBAs are cheaper to make

people like multiplayer games so they have someone to shift blame to when they lose

Now, mix RTS with something else. No, not RPG, this has been overdone too.

Think of RTS + FPS. How much fucking potential it has.
What would you mix RTS with?

It was oversaturated and died when everyone realized it is not fun.

There was era when everyone and their dog made poor clones of CnC and warcraft and there were so many of them MOBAs would be embarassed by being tiny minority by numbers

Is Spellforce 3 any good?

Natural Selection along with several other games like Nuclear Dawn already did that.

sounds like orcs must die

It requires skill, something that people who grew up since gen 6 absolute lack.

>Think of RTS + FPS
>How much fucking potential it has.
yes in being cancer

it has been done before

savage 2: tortured soul
natural selection 2
Rise & Fall - Civilizations At War

awful

it should've been $20 so nobody played it

Savage does that. If you play as the commander, you do base building. Otherwise, you play an fps from the pov of a soldier.

The focus on recent attempts at RTS has been multiplayer. But the people interested in competitive multiplayer, by large, do not want to play 1v1. They want small team games like Dota, Overwatch, CounterStrike etc.

People realized there wasn't any actual strategy in them, just reflexes, and moved to TBSs or MOBAs instead.

Absolutely none

Time passed, and sadly it aged like milk
Also AoE2 happened

TBS doesn't exist

games do not age

>Empire Earth

Mah nigga.

No defcon
No total annihilation
No They are billions

The fans grew older and lost APM.

RTS + Racing.

Anyone can reach diamond starcraft 2 with just a little practice and with up to date build orders.

I used an all on strat against protoss every single time. Lmao.

Devs stopped caring about single player RTS and only focused on online shit, which is a fucking chore if you are going to do it competitively. Look at Koreans and see how bad shit ends up when you go that route.

Only problem with savage 2 is that it kind of sucked. If you made the mistake of joining mid match you were kind of stuck with mining since by that point everyone on the other team was leveled up to the point where it'd be a miracle if you even managed to scratch them and a single blow from their melee would instakill you and send your corpse flying all the way across the map.

>rts
>skill
I played RTS before CnC was a thing, extensively playing majority of titles starting with dune and warcraft 1, going through era of clones, playing all types of different RTS games. It never occured to me they require skill - at least not in single players.

Majority of them are not even "strategies" per se, but puzzle games with one or multiple solutions per map (or no difficulcy and being able to steamroll by just mass producing).

That is as far normal RTS with base building go. They are never "difficult", they just require knowledge of the map and sometimes triggered events.

The "tactical" RTS are bit more complex, but still essentially puzzles. The only difficulcy in genre at all is from how clunky some of the games were made (M.A.X khm). Multiplayer requires mechanical skill, but still not the deepest games ever. Turn-based strategies/tactical games are so much more fun as they involve actual "strategy" and "tactics" parts.

I remember hearing about a game on the Switch or something where one player creates the track as everyone else is racing with the goal being to get from point A to point B.
Honestly, I'd love to see that expanded a bit.

One thing a lot of these answers are missing is that quite a few of the big RTS devs were killed along the way: Westwood, Ensemble etc. or they were forbidden from making RTS anymore by their parent company: EA Los Angeles, Massive Studios etc.

RTS + FPS has already been done and it's fucking amazing.

Has anyone played They Are Billions or Tooth and Tail? Are the fun?

I think the old SW: Battlefront 2 had FPS+RTS in it too. It was pretty watered down though.

Nevermind. That was turn based.

All of the listed by him and you are shit.

The only one that matters is Earth 20XX series.

I have played tooth and tail
I feel it's good, or fine, it depends on the your kind of standard, what you consider "Good"?

They are billions is lots of fun.

It got improved.

Defcon was one of the greatest moments in gaming while the community was still active.

best p2w rts ever

They are billions looks unfinished to me. I remember people streaming it for like a week and nothing since. Is it actually playable or is it something to wait on for another year?

Wonder if people like they are billions because is a single player game.

>he doesn't leech off other players who pay money for the game
You don't know how willing these people are to "help you grow". Idk something about making their peepee hard.

For those who know

youtu.be/jxf8NBA3STc

it split into subgenres based on player preferences
if you like competitive MP, you will probably like MOBAs more than the classic RTS like AoE
if you like making history, you will like grand strategy more
if you like comfy base building you will like city/fortress builders more

few people like all aspects equally and even fewer want them all at the same time

The single player aspect of they are billions is what I like about it. It would be terrible as a multi player game.

It's unfinished in that it's 4 maps with various levels of challenge and there is only one objective. Build up your Base to survive a final large horde. I found it very addictive. I wish there were more maps. Once I beat the 4 of them I have no more interest in the game. Beating them took me probably 20 or 30 hours that I really enjoyed. Worth the €20. As for streaming? I'd say it's really boring to watch.

RenX is a shit game. It died in the first months just like mods for normal Renegade because the original one is so much better and it’s still played 14 years later(been playing it for roughly 10). Devs wanted to make it like Renegade 2 which got cancelled and the only players who stuck with it had no idea about normal Ren and/or never played it.

youtu.be/pYomHPAuUuM

>What happened to the RTS genre?
Total War happened

SupCom is a straight upgrade to TA, it's good but more of a historic footnote

I found I enjoyed TA more.

Koreans happened.

Already been explored, and it didn't catch on. But you wouldn't know that, being underage.

>RTS/FPS Hybrid
>imagine an RTS where your units ignore your orders 80% of the time, then bitch about you being the fuckup when your team loses
every fucking time

RTS+stealth.

It has subsided because we are, right now, in a time of culture and warfare where dopamine and serotonin are the primary mechanisms, for entertainment as well as making headlines.

And RTS really doesn't have that same -steady/constant- rush that say, and FPS, MOBA, or Racing game would provide.

If anything with RTS you have to get used to the lack of it, because to become skilled you must lose, a LOT. The taste of RTS is largely the taste of bitter defeat, and most gamers literally aren't wired to handle that.

The problem is perspective, usually along the lines of, "I just spent 10-15 minutes building up, and lost in 5 minutes, all of that time was wasted, what an unrewarding experience."
This is usually the lament of a novice player, or a vet who is low or saturated on brain chemicals, leading to disinterest in something they usually find enjoyable.

A player who is truly enjoying the RTS will understand it is not an absolute loss. There's no "permanent record" this is really going on to. Nobody lived or died from this. It's just a game! Don't take loss of a game so seriously.
The one truly enjoying the RTS will say, "Man, I put up a good fight, and I still got beaten. My opponent was pretty skilled. I wonder, what made the difference between the win and the loss? What did they see that I didn't? Did I get lazy on my macro or scouting somewhere? I didn't win, but I know what I can improve on now for next time, and overall it was still a fun match."

Dealing in absolute thinking versus rational and critical thinking.
That's the make or break for enjoying an RTS or not

However most games these days are not oriented or delivered as such.
I mean hell, you have champs playing Rocket League going into +6min of OT, saving goals by the skin on their teeth, and suddenly when a goal slips in the winners say "GG EZ"?
No you faggot, it wasn't easy, in fact your ass was hanging over the fire the whole time

But nobody wants to acknowledge the gameplay as the game right? W/L

Thats not RTS, thats Commandos clone number 99

All my favourite RTS games have much heavier base building.
War zone 2100 being a good example. Static defense and artillery was powerful. Aircraft could be slaved to radar towers and they would carry out attacks on enemy units detected by radar automatically.

It's a good game though.

Being 100% honest here, it's dead because white people are only 56% of the US. Pablo doesn't have time for strategy, he just wants CoD and 2k sports games.

Its also irrelevant to the thread.

>number 99
What others are there? I only know of Desperados and Robin Hood.

>RTS+stealth.

It's been done.

>Commandos clone number 99
What are the others 98? I can only think about the Desperados serie and a crappy Robin Hood game.
I'd be genuinely interested in another commandos-like.

I bought cod ww2. I used to like cod but this is fucking disgusting. The maps and weapons are designed to introduced as much randomness as possible.

Star Trek Away Team

Surprised that there are so many newfags here that no one even mentioned this gem of a game.

Also Dungeon Keeper which kinda blends RTS, RPG and FPS.

i just got palpitations on how good this ui is

I remember a game where it was 4 soldiers against RTS style player controlled bugs

Jagged Aliance

10 hours.

>I just spent 10-15 minutes building up, and lost in 5 minutes
that's an objectively bad game like sc2, you want decisions are skirmishing not executing a build order, rts got stale because too many developers thought "yeah building, units, whatever got it"

Infested planet?

>Windows 10 Store exclusive

Hopefully they eventually decide to allow it on Steam and other platforms to boost sales.

they stopped making stronghold games >:C

This makes me think, with RTS threads seeming to pop up more, I also see a lot of youngin's looking for what to play to get in touch with the roots of the genre.

I think it'd benefit us to make something like a "Cred Forums's list of must-play RTS", I'm sure there's one out there.
BUT, let's make one WITHOUT tiers, because those always turn into shitposts of opinions versus opinions.

Let's just make an image, with every RTS that is worthy of being on there eh?
I would think all the things on this list, and
A couple of these

>StarCraft Broodwars, StarCraft 2(?)
>C&C Red Alert 1&2, Tiberian Sun, Generals
>Age of Empires II
>Empire Earth I
>Battle for Middle Earth 2
>Supreme Commander, Total Annihilation
>Defcon

Let's imagine we can make this roster any size we like, too.
Again, no tiers. No sections.

I've heard good things as well about Company of Heroes, as well as Rise of Nations.
But I've never played them myself, so I can't officially endorse them.

Also been trying to get into "8-Bit Arena"
But the game seems like it's entirely Death-ball + A-move
AND the devs won't even let you play with just You vs AI on a LAN setup! It's stupid

How is it?

Beside the isometric perspective, it's nothing like Commandos though.

youtube.com/watch?v=OlIkGlTMUNE

Honestly I'm waiting for AI to get better.
I love RA2, CoH and Homeworld, but you're a glorified baby sitter.
I want to be able to give units complex or simple verbal commands, and they autonomously complete objectives I give them.
I want to train armies not control them.
I want the job of squad grouping, logistics and grand strategy, not individual unit placement.
If I'm lucky quantum computing enters the consumer market in my lifetime.

anyone else placed building in a way that would resemble swastikas on the minimap?

>release starcraft clone
>it flops
>release non-starcraft clone
>90% of he reviews are negative and read "NOT A REAL RTS!"
>make a 4x, RTT or a grand strategy game instead
>sells well, it's well received
RTS fans killed RTS's

GUARDING THE GLA UNDERGROUND

RoN is like grandstrategy but actualy good, you should try it, I've spent good amount of my teenage years olaying it

try playing
get this
a grand strategy game
but all games are boring without some sort of micro

fuck just realized its "on the ground", and the rocket soldier says it. Ah well.

OW, OKAY OKAY I WILL WORK

Died because the only good rts was war3 and warcraft is now a MMO-exclusive IP.

Why are Sumerians using the Egyptian aesthetics? Sumerians were a part of the Babylonian empire which has its own aesthetic.

Why dump them in with the Egyptians?

no its underground
because they come out of the tunnels

> othing else to be added to the gameplay
Someone actually made an RTS that lets you travel back in time. I have no idea how the multiplayer works but apparently, it does. Anyone know what game I'm talking about?

Consoles.

IIRC it's Achron.
I remember playing it for a bit way back when it released, but I have no idea how good it is.

Archon.

The time travel idea was handled perfectly, the RTS portion sucked because they lacked the funds to do more.

You think I'm underage? I played Battlezone 2 and Iron Strategy before you could spell any of those titles, sonny. RTS + FPS didn't catch on in the past I know, but that doesn't mean it can't be tried again.

there's a couple decent rts every year now that everyone stopped trying to compete with lol/dota, the moba meme has ended

>Battlezone
My man.

With the rise of RTS titles like Warcraft 3, it signalled the change towards smaller armies and more 'hero driven' tactics. This will lead into ASSFAGGOTS as a genre.

Because those who loved the comfy builder aspect could get that else where (city builders/simulators like Cities Skylines or even games like RTC.
Those striving for the grander/larger battles of some RTS titles shifted (although they probably already played them anyway) towards grand-strats/strategy games like Total War.

TL;DR: genre split

They also severely fucked up in the art department.

I spoke with the dev who made that game a bit, he's actually a computer programming genius (unironically) and has a lot of interesting things to say about the nature of how time effects information flow and processing. Like, his personal wiki-rabbit-hole is how is information effected by time, which is what led him to develop Achron.

I still have a free copy in my inventory

>I want to be able to give units complex or simple verbal commands, and they autonomously complete objectives I give them.
Screeps might be up your alley

screeps.com/

/shill

>TL;DR: genre split
this is genuinely smart insight, never really thought of it like that

I remember that. I don't know if it changed much but from what I remember it was a broken game that allowed for eventual building of your own sentry towers at enemy base, also it had almost no playerbase whatsoever.

>hiigarans
Savages.

I'd rather have a RTS+RPG hybrid like the first Spellforce

The issue is, now-a-days, the only people left in the RTS community are esports minded players. So they will want a hypercompetitive RTS that'll push out all the casuals/campaign/vsbots/etc players that were the only reason the genre was remotely popular.
People will say that Starcraft 1 was a perfect game that was immediately some esports hit...but it wasn't. It had a slow growing movement that became that huge movement. But it was UMS players and casual biggamehunters players that kept the game alive long enough for that competitive community to exist.

This means that game devs (and/or investors) demand that all games be competitive since thats what made SC1 so popular. But forget the roots that let that grow. Which means it dies horribly.

Recommend me some good comfy RTS builders where I have to collect multiple resources like Settlers 2.

so many good memories

I want to play CnC 3, but I already dropped it three times. Should I force myself to play it again or should I give up and look somewhere else?

They weren't that bad.

>win10 store exclusive
DoA

doesn't work on consoles

People were too scared to play ranked when it was the only way they could find opponents on the same level as them.
Unranked match making didn't have its own MMR system to allow newbies to play with each other.

Also the game devolved into perfecting build orders and following a recipe instead of just playing the game for fun.

I think this is the worst (RTS) game I ever played.

>campaign consisting of doing the same thing over and over but better each time
>good

no

>the only people left in the RTS community are esports minded players
I play sc2 competitively, but I also play other RTS games casually like total war, stronghold crusader, civ, homeworld, sins of a solar empire, and others. I even play stuff like Icewind Dale in part because its fun to design a team and command them tactically.

Starcraft was a mistake. The fact that it was a success made the industry shift to terrible practices like focus on APM and clunky mechanics as artificial skill ceiling. What were program limitations became staples for unoriginal devs and dumb players.

Then Blizzard went and ruined MMOs too.

This.

MOBA killed it.

it was perfected, and people that want to play it go for the classics
if AoE2 DE and 4 aren't hot garbage and they learn from HD we could see a good increase of the community, but either way people will keep playing 2

ding ding ding!

people realized they are an absolute fucking chore to play

>implying my entire friend group is going to go buy copies of botnet 10 and install the botnet 10 store, then PAY to play the remaster after already paying for a remaster.

>team
>not trying to solo IWD tactically
You have a wealth of new ways of playing that game ahead of you my son

Close but it was kinda like 4 soldiers like starship troopers if you were a soldier and a kind of a rts for the bug player. The bug player even had heroes, it was really obscure as well.

>AoE2 DE

What's the point? They already have AoE2 HD Edition which is still patched and updated for modern machines, and which already has a thriving community (literally over 10k people playing right now).

>not Spellforce 3

Hi

Battleswarm:Field of heroes
youtube.com/watch?v=g1jpa-Wlwds

Fuck. I bought this shit from win store. Sorry Cred Forumsros

That's not an RTS.

>Someone else heard of this game

RTTs have always been better anyway, Close combat, Myth, Men of war...

>tfw all of my friends have botnet 10 and still refuse to install botnet 10 store despite having uplay and origin
I guess everyone draws the line somewhere.

>Tooth and Tail
I'm having fun with TnT. For someone entirely new to the genre it's pretty damn approachable.
I used to be pretty averse to RTS due to having poor fine motor skills (dyspraxia) and competing with someone with a higher APM just didn't sound like something that'd appeal to me.
The game still does have micromanagement, but it's not nearly as heavy which makes it something I am actually able to play with a controller.

sandbox action rts like mountain blade would be cool in other settings and genres.

you'll just end up with a bad fps mashed together with a bad rts, savage did a decent job and it still wasn't very successful

>people legit hyped for AoE when AoE II HD already exists
It's the better game, too.

Why do you think botnet 7 or 8.1 is not a botnet? They know everything about you. Give up

>Windows 10

heheheehehe

I'll buy it when all of my friends decide to buy it.
I'm not wasting my money. They will put it out on steam eventually just like the other botnet store "exclusives"

Companies stopped making good ones.

The market is still existing.

Mobas are a completely different genre.

>not using windows 10 in 2018
Are you poor or hipster?

Also on Xbox One.

Yes sir please do the needful and be installing the windows 10.

10 was free for like a year, it's the official OS of BRs and slavs

>a game older than everyone's mother has these system requirements
Is it running Crysis in the background, too?

Never gonna happen. Microsoft is literally mimicing netflix with xbox live gold shit.
15 bucks for 3 months for hundreds of games is the future

>le ebin pajeet meme
Inb4 just install a Linux distro, it's the true OS!

Did anyone managed to make RA 2 work with higher resolutions and without lag on Win 10?

Blizzard killed it.

And other developers are afraid they cannot compete with Blizzard.

The lag is fixed by editing an ini file, but I havent seen anything about higher resolutions

If you want to make a good/balanced RTS game you will need invest alot of money while on the other side you cant milk it with DLCs or Lootboxes.

Most players play single player RTS anyway so they will just pirate the game. RTS will never ever be profitable again

AoE 1 is so fucking kino

>Cred Forums whined nonstop about it being dead while other people continued playing it
it's amazing how this thread prove it.

Blizzard stopped giving a fuck and no one else makes good RTS games except AoE, and they haven't bothered to do that in years.

EA bought Westwood.

Sorry I'm late.

Same thing that happend to the world, people went crazy.

I don't really why everyone at Cred Forums here seems to just take rts at its base, ignoring all the wc3/sc2 custom game modes and coop that are in these games. Most people who do dabble in rts don't even fuck with the ranked ladder for the most part but in enhanced game modes.

Heck we are billions is basically one glorified rts mod.

Seriously, it's almost like you can still have fun without having a 100,000 actively online playerbase to justify your buyers remorse.

>Attila
>COH2
>Homeworld
>Starcraft 2
>Purgatory
see and go back to r9k

>Wait for dawn of war 3 like this rest of us
off to the shadow realm

This, but I personally hate the game because of the bad memories of nobody wanting to play the game with me because "too complicated lol"

It's lacking Dominions in the autism corner.

How is this game?

Also anyone managed to run Cossacks 2 on win 7/10?

Speaking of Battlezone, is Uprising 2 worth it?

gog.com/game/uprising_2_lead_and_destroy

Pretty cheap right now.

The genre offers NOTHING. It is outdone in EVERY aspect by other genres.

fpbp

>TA is a footnote
kindly go fuck your self with the nearest rake
the reason supcom became a thing was because TA was not owned by it creators due to legal bullshit

hi le resetera

Needs an update. That Chart ios some 3 or 4 years old iirc.

I'd update it by never posting it again because these charts are always dogshit

supcom is still better, deal with it

twitch tv gogcom
wow, this is how you dew it.

Nah. It's just bigger.

>spaces
fuck off newfag

Why the fuck is Homeworld Remastered in shadow realm and where's Ground Control?

Even worse than Empire Earth III? Assuming if anyone here has played it

I'm glad I got to live through all these based companies

This, it's an archaic relic of a bygone era.

Because it's le epic jaded rts "fan" chart.

In Homeworld 1, hitting the enemy depended on actual bullet physics simulating trajectories which made formations very relevant. Things like friendly fire and such were also a real danger, all that added a lot of depth.

Homeworld Remastered ported that into an engine that didn't have a physics engine, so now it just rolls dice for that, which kills a lot of strategies.

tell me some games which are RTS/RPG hybrid. like warcraft3 or spellforce

Warlords Battlecry 2

except this was fixed a long time ago.

Meh. Camera and controls are to shitty to keep that in mind anyway.
All that HURR DURR MUH THREEDEE SPAIS gimmick was a mistake.

dragonshard

Dota.
Dota All Stars.
Dota 2.
League of Legends.

Listen here you little shit.

AOE2 is just right. Not too much shit to know, not too little. There is no point to make another RTS.

Rise of Nations took is kinda between AOE2/AOM engine-wise. Took the RTS genre as far as you can go. It is so fucking complicated it isn't fun.

>8 fucking ages to deal with
>18 nations to remember
>Nations not only have their own unique units, but also a power.
>6 MORE nations in expansion pack, kill me.
>200 different types of units. TWO. FUCKING. HUNDRED.

Good luck remembering all that fucking shit on the fly.

Thang God I did not buy this crap back then

too little too late.

why do you need to remember any of that shit unless you're playing competitive multiplayer?

>It is so fucking complicated

This. Rise of Nations is literally spamming and microing too many things. It works in turn based games, but in rts its just confusing

unlike whinning.

>lack of greater efforts
>lack of more interesting takes
>mobas taking away many people
>mainstream
>costs
>the whole balance and competition meme

Yep. That's Battlezone series. And Machines: Wired for War.

You'll note NOBODY plays it, let alone competitively.

It just drowns itself in micro managing and alt tabbing to a wiki/reading the binder of a physical manual constantly in single player.

I give it points for being pretty though. Looks better than AOE2 HD.

i played this game when i was like 12 years old. you're exaggerating the need to know the ins and outs of the mechanics to play and succeed in single player.

>attila in purgatory
Was this made by some retarded Med2fag?

>18 nations to remember
Not difficult
>Nations not only have their own unique units, but also a power.
Not that complicated
>200 different types of units. TWO. FUCKING. HUNDRED.
Most of these are upgrades, you need to know the different classes
You just have a low IQ, sorry.

animations are pretty good too

>When your the best RTS game to come out in the past 10 years but everyone shits on you because le W10 meme

>Was this made by some retard
yes

This was a Dawn of War 3 before DoW 3 became a thing.

Warlords battlecry series is the best RTS/RPG mix tbqh

To be fair, the core mechanics were solid enough to make it playable.

The problem was everything else. Maybe now Relic will learn its lesson.

>making your game win10 exclusive on a shitty store nobody uses and expecting people to play it
Same thing will happen to AoE IV

>meridian the worst rts youve played

>empire earth 3 the worst rts youve played
>assuming no one has played it

you guys really underestimate the dedication of rtsboyz, at least from what i've seen over the years in these threads. you guys played seven kingdoms conquest? thats about as bad as i'm willing to go, i still go back now and then because theres several good ideas there, but oof.

I wouldn't say it's complicated but it just has a shit ton of unneeded bloat.

That's obviously the autistic simulation corner.

This. I'm angry that I had to install Win 10 either way because my new PC was TOO NEW FOR WINDOWS 7 to run normally (couldn't even download updates either automatically or install them manually).

But what really pisses me off is that Halo Wars 2 is Microsoft Store Exclusive. They could've earned more cash if they put it in on Steam as Complete Edition with all the Ultimate Edition stuff along with Awakening The Nightmare DLC.

Pity, since the first Halo Wars is fun.

>tfw no new urban assault never ever

>most nation powers are just passive bonuses
>the ones that aren't, like the chinese instant civilian production are nearly irrelevant during confrontations
>there's only 7 Land classes, 5 water classes and 3 air units
>unique units are just slightly buffed units with the exception of irrelevant shit like the armed dutch merchants
>economy pretty much manages itself

How this game can come across as complicated to anyone is beyond me

RTS is alive and well. It's only simple RTS like aoe and Starcraft that died

>200 types
>Ancient through medieval
Civilian, merchant, caravan
Spears, javelin, archers, scout.
light cav, heavy cav, cav archers.
artillery, supply wagon,
General, spy.
Fishing ship, light ship, heavy ship, demolition ship
>renaissance
Replace javelin with arquebus
Replace demolition with artillery ship
>enlightenment
Arquebus and archer become muskets, spears become fusiliers.
>industrial
Rifles, machine guns, anti-tank, flamethrowers, commandos.
Light armor, heavy armor,
anti-air.
Artillery ship replaced with submarines, as heavy ships gain artillery range and light ships gain anti-sub.
Biplanes introduced
>Modern
Aircraft carrier added
Fighters and bombers replace biplanes, helicopters added.
>Information
Stealth bomber

Everything else is an upgrade, or a nation specific upgrade, which are mostly mechanically the same

>RTS + FPS
Urban Assault is one of the best games I've ever played.

8 bit armies is one of the biggest fuck ups and wasted potential games ever. It's a damn shame because it's pretty fun for about 10 seconds.

Quite fun. Campaign gives you the worst hero and only a few RTS missions, but the skirmish mode is a jewel. Clearly not finished, it ships with THREE maps, so I'd download some. Other than that, all the factions are unique with a ton of special units, it's a blast.

Wow... I think you're right...

I bought it on both my accounts. Hope that stops it from coming to shit DRM like steam.

Offworld Trading Company was really fun.
That's technically an RTS.

all downhill since wc3

>esports whining zone is not in red&orange scrub area
>no "People who think they are RTS players but play Tower Defense instead" zone

>Campaign gives you the worst hero
Best bantz tho

>What happened to the RTS genre?

It died because RTS games are not fun to play. Singeplayer campaigns suck because the AI is either too stupid or cheats all the time and multiplayer sucks because matches have tendency to snowball and making a come back is very hard.

RTS games are at their best when you have two new players or teams of new players against each other and both have to experiment their way into victory. Almost all RTS games have FOTM units or strategy and once the playerbase is aware of that all matches are a competition of who implements that strategy fastest.

Last RTS game I had fun with online were some versions Wargame: European Escalation when there were multiple viable strategies to win (for example even when BTR Zhalo rush was FOTM my Cult of Autocannon deck rekt everyone who ever attempted it on me).

Too bad the devs ruined ALB and RD by introducing OP air elements and by making high price units OP as it made the games unnecessarily heavy on micromanagement and made losing a single unit or failing to counter a single airstrike game deciding moments.

Simple.

Starcraft took over. No other RTS could compete. Starcraft was too hard for babies to get good at, and playing lesser RTS games was viewed as autistic (or at least made you look like a lesser gamer). Starcraft lost viewers on twitch and the esports fields because it was too hard for regular people to relate (like they can with LoL or PUBG and how dumb brained you need to be to play those games). No one has stepped up to attempt to replace Starcraft, since it still has crazy player numbers.

If there is ever to be a good multiplayer RTS, it has to use Dota 2 as a base, because is the ONLY balanced game that comes close.

I did
Wish I remember how

Nobody played RoN competitively because microshit sucks at updates and split the player base

Original is shit. Get over it. No one still plays it.

has anyone taken on my challenge of beating paraworld's mission 11 on hard yet without glitching? i know some of you cossacks dickkickers want to give it a shot

>people complain about DoW3 and call it casual
>then they praise Gaylo Wars

Oh Cred Forums

>Huehuetoca
hue

Just bought Anno 1440 (dawn of discovery) and it's fucking kino

where do you get this game

Do RTS need randomization then?
I'm not talking about the random (asymmetrical, and thus unfair) maps of AoE II.
Or randomness such as damage ranges or whether you hit somebody uphill or not (again, both unfair).

But rather, something like this: at the start of the match, both (all) players are given a random civilization. The structures, workers, soldiers, technologies, actions, they will all be randomized. Even things like resources could be too. Both will be given the same randomized civilization, though, which would make it symmetrical and fair. The one to win would be the one that could come up with a winning strategy on the spot.

a certain group of rts"fan", a very loud one, just LOVE to be contrarian. They can't fight it, it's their nature.

sounds fucking terrible

>tfw even the guys on the Metropolisdawn forum gave up on trying to develop a spiritual sequel

Could you elaborate?

What is terrible about not knowing what your civ is like beforehand?

DoW3 is done by nu relic while HW2 was done by CA who actually know how to make RTS games.

I felt it every time I wanted to have a rational discussion about Red Alert 3 that did not devolve into "It feels/looks wrong"

I'll tell you what I tell people in every RTS thread:
The issue with RTS is assuming the main focus of the genre is multiplayer, when in actuality very few people have the interest in playing such a stressful, yet monotonous genre competitively.
Multiplayer is important. Very important even. But it absolutely needs the anchor of a single player driven experience to draw and keep a playerbase.
You'd be shocked at how many people play RTS alone. Well, relatively speaking, since not that many people play RTS in general.

The game needs to have good campaigns (like AoE2 did, not the bullshit hollywood crap we had in 3).
It also needs good and customizable skirmishes with competent AI that is competent enough to cross a river by boat.

It also probably could use elements of meta-progression, though it would admitedly be hard to implement while keeping a perfect balance.
Most people would cringe in disgust at this thought, but it would help so fucking much in this day and age. Very few "match-based" games can hold people's interest without it.

If Grand Strategy and 4x games are able to thrive nowdays, there's no excuse RTS not to as well, but it would need some changes to get in with the times.

TL;DR: It needs a stronge singleplayer focus and meta-progression.

>literally falling for branding
>literally falling for actual dictionary memes

When your first argument is "it was made by people I like!", you should consider removing yourself from conversation.

I played the shit out of the DS version

i just downloaded it from TPB, used an image or a no cd crack, both worked for me on windows 7 64 bit

>You'd be shocked at how many people play RTS alone.
I've actually only played multiplayer a couple of times.

>console interface

Such a ridiculous post. Is supcom perfect? Could you not add any more to it? No strategic meta-map? No more weather or terrain mechanics? No factions that aren't beep boop robots with no personality? No PA-style planets? No additional troop mechanics such as morale? You can't think of anything else?

oh i should mention as well, for some stupid reason they thought the game should be capped at like 23 frames per second and its very annoying and distracting, so the first thing you want to do is uncap that.

Well, Anno 1800 is cuming soon. I'm gonna terrorize them trade unions so bad

As much as you're in denial about it, assfaggots are RTS.

They're A-RTS

>red alert 2 is the first one
I don't need anything else

I dislike RTS but like Anno games. It's more of a management game than a RTS

Is that actually Arnold Schwarzenegger?

>implying it will not be just simple happiness mechanic that you can solve by building a park and steady supply of gluten free bagels.

Well I would like to get into the genre again, didn't play alot since AoE2HD and red alert

What are some good RTS that even Cred Forums approves of?

>Cred Forums approves

"Clicking on the town’s police station, we were able to order out a phalanx of mounted police followed by wagons to cart off prisoners. The horsemen charged at the mob, knocking many of them down with their billy clubs and sending them into the back of the wagons. But the assault wasn’t enough and the crowd kept growing.

The strike began to spread, turning into a full-blown riot, and a great mob of disgruntled citizens armed with torches and placards began to march on the town hall. All along the streets, out of the windows of houses, people were throwing furniture - a sign of looting and ransacking."

Not bad

have they fixed multiplayer desync that occured with every other anno past Anno 1701 yet?

>They're making a new Anno.
Welp. Thanks for telling me, user. It went past me somehow, especially after the unfortunate debacle of the last one.

Dunno. Only played 1404 on Tunggle which was good

>Anno 1800

FUCKING WHAT?

Supreme Commander is the best RTS and still has an active community.

Was this an RTS game or was this the first Moba(RTS)?

What happend to the RTS-GOD games?

Also Battle Realms was awesome. Peasant goes into this the washhouse comes out as a Gaisha.

>AoE2HD and red alert

Red Alert 2.
Supreme Commander with Forged Alliance or Total Annihilation if you haven't played it yet.
One of my favorites is Battle Realms, tough it takes a bit of getting used to the camera since it's very close to the ground.

fuck man I think you just explained what's wrong with todays gaming audience and industry
>A player who is truly enjoying the RTS will understand it is not an absolute loss.
>There's no "permanent record" this is really going on to.
But today it is. Stats are tracked and recorded, branding your eternal w/l ratio
>It's just a game! Don't take loss of a game so seriously.
Yet today people take it seriously

>Dealing in absolute thinking versus rational and critical thinking.
today people play for their win record and post their stats in /vg/ instead of having fun

>Missed the AoM sale
FUCK

C&C3 is so fucking shit. I looked forward to that game, but it turned out to be so forgettable. Same with RA3.

Nope. TPP RTS, Sacrifice is.

Can't believe they dropped the ball so fucking hard with C&C4, I get mixing up the genres but when its done so goddamn lazily it becomes boring and directionless.

I remember buying this game full price near lunch, only for 1-2 years later to drop 10 dollars and even less on sales.

Rise of Nations might interest you. You don't really need to micro hard.

1. 1v1 PvP RTS is too hard for people. Nobody to blame for being stuck in gold.
2. Matches take way too long, unless you constantly live or die by the cheese.

poor

>1. 1v1 PvP RTS is too hard for people.
>People can only play against the best players out there
Are you fucking retarded?!?!?!

It was easy to monetize and exploit so it devolved into phone garbage. It's a shame.

You faggots better support this game and make sure the whiny steam babies are in check.

>2. Matches take way too long, unless you constantly live or die by the cheese.
It honestly really depends honestly, a grand strategy usually takes long (although its never competitive), otherwise in my experience in wc3/sc/AoE for two competent players they last 25 mins absolute maximum.

but then again MOBAS can take 40 mins max (in the lower elos atleast) so that's not really much of an issue,

>Can't believe they dropped the ball so fucking hard with C&C4, I get mixing up the genres but when its done so goddamn lazily it becomes boring and directionless.

Just read up on the game's development. It was never meant to be a good game, it was simply recovering the assets in the wake of the studio closure.

The game was in development as a F2P game for Korea. F2P games require support and the studio was on the chopping block because the C&C fan EA CEO stepped down and was replaced with someone else and less inclined to invest in the series.

So the order was given and they had to ship the game as an AAA one in a little under a year's time before getting kicked out.

>one of these threads gets made every day and AoE DE releases tomorrow
>dead

>Yet another RTS with a sci-fi setting

>console games
casual

>>People can only play against the best players out there
Actually yes. Only old autists are left in older games and all new rts are dead.

Get Command and Conquer The First Decade, it has all the games in the series worth playing.

If you want to interpret a statement in the most "retarded" way possible, sure, buddy.
The most successful PvP titles have multiplayer and RNG for people to shift blame from themselves.
>i got a shit hand/draw
>i got shit teammates
Purely skill-based, 1v1 PvP games, like fighting games and RTS don't have this luxury.
Players in those games have to live with the fact that they're the sole reason they lose.

Why there's no spiritual successor of Sacrifice? Modern UI, with proper non-janky controls...damn I WANT IT

>Wait for DoW 3 like the rest of us

brutal legend

There's only 2 games in the genre.
Sacrifice and Brutal Legend.

Kinda hard to get some traction going when you have a genre with 2 well regarded, but highly unsuccessful games.

>Players in those games have to live with the fact that they're the sole reason they lose.
Or if the game has different factions/races with different gameplays and/or units.

Would jump to blame that instead, there is never truly no escape from the blame game.

>fighting games
>literally charactershit that doesn't care about balance or good game design

rhythm based rts
like in some old civilisations instruments are used to both boost morale and to the direct the flow of battle by issuing coded commands to your troops
are you a bad enough dude to lead your men to victory through the power of music?

Yeah, game is an overall mess in development, It sad to see westwood fall so from what it used to be, they really used to make some great RTS games with at least a spec of soul.

In fighting games, it's easy.
You have a tier list and everyone agrees which match ups are good and which ones are bad.
Fighting within the same bracket means you lose any credibility towards balance issues.

>Chart becomes insane BMS tier at late game

not sure if want

They need to make it again, but with an engine that doesn't shit the bed as if it were made 20 years ago.

Pata -pata -pon.

wz has some fucking marvelous end game bases, too bad endgame gets boring without enough balance

No idea, still play them regularly. I'm on AoE2 daily playing people.

essentially but more complicated
pc release never ever

I'm waiting for Warcraft 4

Retard here.

What does Stellaris technically qualify as?

People stick to the old games and refuse to buy the new games.

There was also that awkward period for PC gaming where every developer switched over to making games for xbox 360 / ps3.

Keep dreaming, Rumors of a W3 remake/remaster are already out.

Besides, plot-wise, what will the focus even be? WoW seems to be taking helm of that and most if not all w3 story threads been dealt with (That WoW is even just coming back to the classic orc vs human as a plotline instead of some world ending villain plotline)

Lack of new ideas combined with rise of consoles

This t b h

Yes, but it's criminal that they're just selling dumps of the original CDs with no attempt made to make sure it's playable on modern machines. Even with RA2 you have to fuck around a bit to get it to run at regular speed and not lag to shit.

grand strat abortion

Don't forget about Overlord.

Why is isometric view so comfy?

>Think of RTS + FPS. How much fucking potential it has. What would you mix RTS with?
COMAND AND FUCKING CONQUER FUCKING RENEGADE.

the mistakes don't feel as real as in first person

Is Warcraft 3 technically a RTS+RPG?

4x.

Executive assault

Imagine being too stupid to play a game 12 years old have beaten on harder.

Tomorrow, tomorrow.

This pic brought a tear to my eyes, damn man..

3D RTS isn't a mistake, it's just that it's not experimented with enough for a good interface to be refined.

>tfw you will never get to play-out battles from Legend of the Galactic Heroes

everyone dislikes rts now because of planetary annihilation fucking up like nms

It's dumb to even think about 3D when there isn't even 2D RTS with a good interface.

>If Grand Strategy and 4x games are able to thrive nowdays
They're also thriving because they've been streamlined for the masses.

DoW 1. Don't fall for the Ultimate Apocalypse meme, try to find a version of Firestorm over Kronus/Kaurava.

The real problem:

>Devs jump to making games for X360, Wii, Switch
>Next gen consoles come around
>Multitudes of games are no longer supported, games which came out less than 10 years ago

Meanwhile
>PC
>People are still hosting dedicated servers for DOOM, Aliens vs Predator 2, Unreal (1)

Devs then understood the key to their games being immortal was to let the players sustain them, refine them, instead of just crashing hype-train after hype-train.

Somebody knows how bad or not as bad was the interface for LOTRBFME2 on consoles?

It's being marketed as a Grand Strategy, but it's actually a regular 4x (quite mediocre, in my opinion).

>there isn't even 2D RTS with a good interface.

Name one RTS without 2+ input actions.

I loved the shit out of Bfme 1. 2 looked pretty hype but for some reason i didnt end up getting it afterall. Played it like 2 years back and suprisingly enough.. it sucked. A lot of people seem to have liked it though. What gives?

Haven't played it on consoles but I don't see why you'd have trouble playing it casually on a gamepad

What? Fuck off, empires has had enourmous potential (for a hl2 mod anyway), the fault lies with constantly fragmenting community full of toxins that would make dota blush and shitty devs that never stopped jerking to their bad ideas and admins and server owners that were above the law.

>he doesn't understand build orders and counter builds

Saying that War3 could be an RPG seem king of wrong.
I would belive your confusion if we were talking about the Warlord Battlecry series

Sadly the fucking WBC does not work win10 and my win 7 laptop is out of service.

Mein Neger. To this day I still amuse myself with the game by occasionally making my own maps and playing them.

spbp

True, but I'd argue that by enlarge they've kept their core mechanics and are still very much appreciated by the core fans, with a few misteps here and there, like Civ6 or HoI4.

It's nothing compared to what MOBAs have done to RTS, which I personaly wouldn't even blame for the death of the genre necessarily, so great is the difference between the two.

rts is for tryhards who literally have no life and spend all day memorizing useless information

prove me wrong

They are remaking it for the 2nd time, along with AoE1, and even currently making AoE4.
Are 2018/19 the years of RTS?

That's because the maps were tiny and built like MOBAs

>Somebody's still butthurt they couldn't stop a zerg rush in 1999

>implying i want to because starcraft is for tryhard nerds

age of empires 1 remaster just released today, thoughts?

>Implying you could, even if you tried

Just because you aren't skilled enough to be good at RTS, doesn't mean you should get jelly at others

There's always turn-based strategy for slower players, such as yourself. :^)

Would the dota 2 engine be good for a normal RTS.
Or would you hate the feel?

samefag here, correction: it releases at 11pm CST tonight

why would i be jelly

i already made the point that rts is for autists because it is

Replace AoE2 with Company of Heroes 1 and I agree. It literally perfected the RTS

>they've kept their core mechanics
I don't know, most of the recent titles feel like a hollow retreading of the same mechanics, over and over, without trying to improve on the "simulation".
Maybe I feel that way because I've always despised the Civ formula and found historical settings pretty boring.

And the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club

I guess you're just too smart for Cred Forums and the RTS genre son

Does anyone know if Age of Empire definitive edition have 1v1 matchmaking? or lobbies?

I mean, it's ment to play just like WC3 so yes.

I mean, bfme was never ment for consoles so the port was as good as they could get it.

yep :^)

Have quick match and lobbies

What is objectively the best nation in AoE2? I always pick India because bow elephants.

nice. hopefully game population will last a few months.

AoE1 has better aesthetics than AoE2.

Magyars. After an upgrade, your special unit costs 80 food to make. Spam farms and you can sustain hordes of the fuckers.

>What is objectively the best nation in AoE2?
There isn't one and elephant archers are bad
India is a really strong civ though

Warcraft 3 killed it with dota bullshit.

Was done a lot in the late 90s early 00s. Savage: Battle for Neuearth, C&C Renegade, among others. Mixed results.

Huh, didn't know they made a second one. Dark Reign was pretty cool, although off a lot of people's radar (I wound up with it because of a poorfag friend had it somehow, and I thought it'd be one of those off-brand C&C/*craft clones, but it turned out to be pretty cool.
I feel like the only person who thinks the Age of Empires series is cancerously overrated in general. Fuck the rock-paper-scissors bullshit in RTS it made standard.

Spanish.
Fuck everyone up in 5 minutes by using villagers alone.

>be cunts that made EE I & II
>shit the bed so hard making EE3
>be relic
>shit bead making 3rd instalment of DOW
>AoE3, massive flop
>relic making coh3 soon

3rd time is the death of every RTS game, only finite amount of RTS's can be released. it's a rare breed

>Win10 exclusive
guess I can hope for a crack or god forbid a Steam or GOG release sometime in the future

Brits. Spam longbows. They out range everything else and in a big blob they'll wreck anything before it gets close.

*blocks your path*

Devs keep making shitty games. That's what happens.

I still have Starcraft 2 installed and still have fun with it.

Despite being a brainlet I love playing AoE 2. I fucking hate rushing, it's the gayest shit this world has come up with. When I played with friends we used that function that would let us fight only after a certain amount of time passed. I just want to base build, fight one big battle play again with another civ.

If you don't think pikemen should defeats horse men, and skeletons being resistant to piercing.
Then how it should be done?
The one with the bigger numbers should win and that's it?

>we want no base building
>we want the moba audience
>we want capture points to force skirmishes
>we want small skirmishes with few units
>we want small maps
>we want to focus on hero units
>the focus is competative multiplayer because its an esports game

Who are you quoting?

Seriously, who even comes up with all this bullshit. When people just want to play a normal RTS game.

Same thing that happened to fighting games. Autists took over.

Base building is like the masturbation and the fight is like the climax. You can't just do it early when you haven't accumulated maximum potential. It just isn't right. It has to be a glorious cumshot.

I'm bad at RTS cause I focus at making a nice little town too much.

I was quoting you, you dumbass. Why do you hold such shitty opinions?

Base building is fucking autistic and it detracts from the main thing that everyone wants to do, and that's commanding armies

>Flop #413 is born

What's the point of an army if you can't even destroy buildings with it.

here's your typical mobashit

Try playing some grand strategy and your brain might explode

>playing AoE 2 as a kid
>"I can't wait to see this game with super cool life like graphics, thousands of units on screen, and AI as smart as players"
>fast forward to now
>any "RTS" game that gets made is basically a shitty ASSFAGGOTS
>one or two resources to collect (XP, maybe gold)
>less units in play than the first warcraft game

The same thing happened to 4X. I expected Civ to become more complex with advancement in computers, not less. Everything is a big disappointment.

Buildings add objectives to the game, to attack and defend. And it has a direct impact on the gameplay.
It beats having to capture some arbitrary area in the game.

Besides that, well executed base building mechanics are top comfy. And even a genre by itself.

>Base building is fucking autistic and it detracts from the main thing that everyone wants to do, and that's commanding armies

Wrong, fag, I want to build bases AND command armies.
Base building is a tactical part of the game too.
How much to you invest in your infrastructure vs your standing army?
How much do you invest in defenses, or do you go for fast-tech?
Are your defenses spread out evenly enough, or have you created a weak-point?
Have you -intentionally- left open a weak point, to draw an attack to that location?

Did you spell a dirty word with your buildings?

>Base building is like the masturbation
>the fight is like the climax
>You can't just do it early
>It has to be a glorious cumshot

THIS user fucking gets it.

>Base building is fucking autistic and it detracts from the main thing that everyone wants to do, and that's commanding armies

Okay, have fun.

>playing an online quickmatch in C&C Generals: Zero Hour
>I'm stealth general, he's china infantry
>most of the game is us going back and forth, but I'm mostly on the defensive
>I make nub mistakes like taking 10 minutes before going for oil derricks
>I get my scud storm up but I have to use it defensively against his invading army
>he uses Black Lotus a few times but I destroy/sell my structures before he can take them
>I stealth my real buildings and leave my fake ones exposed, he blows up my fake structures with airstrikes
>I'm basically resolved to losing, but I'm an annoying chucklefuck so I hold out as long as I can; I'm basically on the defensive
>he starts building multiple nukes, I KNOW I'm fucked now
>he nukes my base, and I'm basically barely holding on
>finally without expecting it, I unlocked the sneak attack which opens a tunnel entrance anywhere on the map
>I open a tunnel in the back of his base and sent all my quad cannons, taking out his air force and some power
>he makes a counter-offensive, I use my anthrax bomb (I've been without my scud storm for a while now) in my own base to hold back for just a few more minutes
>meanwhile I keep pumping out quad cannons
>I say "fuck it" and launch another sneak attack in the back of his base
>I take out his power, then eat away at his production buildings
>I go for his nukes, which are powered down
>just as I destroy his last nuke, he surrenders
>my entire body surges with adrenaline, and I cannot stay seated
>walking around and shaking for five minutes from the adrenaline rush

Pic related. This happened over 12 years ago and I still remember the feeling.

That was probably the second most disapointing RTS I have ever played.
You could literally just ride your base across the map and spam units in the campaign and win.
And the multiplayer wasn't much better. It was a constant stalemate and halfway you just saw the game slowly slide into one persons favor, like a disaster in slow motion.

>>my entire body surges with adrenaline, and I cannot stay seated
combined with autistic screeching I bet you edgelord

As long as you don't play protoss in genre already starting to be based on mechanics, then you're k.

No screeching. I was just pacing around my room.

>That was probably the second most disapointing RTS I have ever played.

What was the first?

Total Annihilation + Escalation Mod

>another RTS is dead thread

It's not dead... just in temporary retirement.

I mostly play the Zerg. Because they are fast and you can do quick tech switches. It just gives you a feeling that you're actually doing something.

Although I hate the useless jobs you have to do as a Zerg, such as inject larva and spreading creep.
And Starcraft 2 badly needs a hotkey overhaul, more in line with games like heroes of the storm.

unpopular opinion time
RA2 was dogshit candy flavored cnc and was the worst of the cnc games pre-Generals

But they don't. If they did then the developers wouldn't be fucking around doing silly gimmick shit like the stuff he listed.

I played the beta of RenegadeX and it's really good. No idea where it stands today though, they got the OK from EA to create it as a non profit game

No urban assault

It got eternally BTFO'd by the superior turn based genre.

Distant Worlds: Universe.

It's a real time space 4x, but you can automate any aspect you want to any degree you want.

What this neckbeard is playing. The grafics looked marvelous, but the game was pretty much unplayable.

youtube.com/watch?v=iomMqMQ0iao

Maybe you should try city builders like settlers or anno then, they only have a small military aspect

Koreans

>empire earth

So that's why everyone is sticking with Starcraft and Age of Empires 2 HD. With niche communities around Command and Conquer and Supreme Commander.

Better do something entirely different.

you havent played meridian, correct?
DoW3 is a masterpiece in comparison.

so should it have no setting in your opinion, jackass?
There are only so many settings, and Sci-Fi is not in the top place of overused settings for RTS, and not even in the runner up.

There's plenty of shit that can be done with the RTS genre, just like there's plenty of shit that can be done with the currently stagnant as shit racing genre.
The problem is it's not as profitable as it once was, and it wasn't insanely profitable to begin with either.

Had a ZH game like this too

>Playing 4-way "FFA" on Tournament City with friends
>I'm infantry gen, friends are tank, toxin, and demo
>Tank and Toxin friends made meta-alliance before the game
>Instantly double-team rush Demo, and kill him
>By then my infantry gen defenses are up, but I can't push out easily, toxin-contain
>Toxin gen builds about 5-6 SCUDS simultaneously
>Begin mobilizing infantry towards him with intentional timing: either SCUD my base, or my troops, push out with supporting Migs

>He chooses base
>Had a couple dozers in some Helixes, transport them to former demo-base and start rebuilding, save some hackers too, they don't detect it
>Use EMP on his wall of Stinger-sites, supporting vehicles, and some SCUDS
>March infantry past stingers, roll his vehicles and troops, get to the SCUDs
>Tank gen starts to clean up my main base, meanwhile: I decimate Toxin base, and take over the EMP'd (can't sell while emp'd, lol) SCUDS
>Tank bro starts to move in to help Toxin bro.

>That's when my troops from the bare-bones base attack tank's main.
>He has to choose: SCUDs or his base
>He tries to split
>Tanks can't push through remaining infantry at Toxin base fast enough
>Tanks can't get back to his main fast enough

>SCUD his main into dust using his allie's weapons

>Game ends and they're both salty as fuck
>MFW

Too complicated for casuals. We need an RTS FPS that's easy for your average Casual Striker and CasualWatcher to understand.

Is DoW2 considered a RTS? I've been looking for something to play after the blunder that was DoW3 and I see there's still a pretty dedicated community playing the elite mod.

>console user being too stupid
>ea fucking with then killing westwood

Most people play Starcraft 2 and Age of Empires 2 HD.

Sorry I should have added that I was looking for something WH40K related to play.

Microsoft is currently making Age of Empires 5. And they tend to release games of decent quality.

>SCUD his main into dust using his allie's weapons

kek

Dawn of War 2 Retribution is pretty good. And people still play it. But I think most people play the Last Stand mode, which is just controlling 1 character in an area togheter with some others. Last Stand is pretty fun though.

Nothing, it still continues. Just some old series got fucked over like C&C due to EA shenanigans, but other strategies live on just fine, even RTS

>bfme2 on consoles
what the fugg, game is fast and even normal AI is aggressive af people bitched about it being too hard on various forums, why the fuck anyone would want to play it on gamepad?

>all your favourite RTS games have died
>Starcraft, the ORIGINAL Starcraft, is still alive in and kicking

just play modded soulstorm with friends and compstomp all day on vanilla/titanium wars/U. apocalypse
also cnc shockwave and rome: total war
and lets not forget supreme commander 1
all games with gread modding support and/or great custom maps (soulstorm in particular has some epic scenarios)

Really?...
DoW fans complain about DoW3 being a moba, and the thing they play the most is a mode where you use one character?

I'm pretty sure I miss understanding the mode right? That can't be real....

Maybe the controls were good.....
Or maybe on the console version the AI was slower...

>he doesn't know

No one develops for PC now. It's console design and pc port. RTS doesn't work on console.

It's real. It are just two maps as well, so I have no idea why Relic didn't just port the game mode over. Pretty much everyone asked for it. But nope.

Also DoW3 actually allows you to command larger armies then DoW 1 did. The reason people complain about the MOBA feels is how powerful the heroes are. A single hero can go ape shit on an army with all of their special abilities and then when you kill them, they will simply revive after a given time.

AoE II elitism. It is horribly dated and many RTS games have improved upon the forumla. AoM was a vast improvement that came out not much later.

SCII monopolizing RTS competitive scene and Blizzard's inability to balance the gameplay disappointing professionals and casuals a like.

MOBAs then moving in and taking over the same niche.

Metashit

AoM was boring though

I am well aware that you are a newfag who doesn't even know how to post links.

I liked how all unit abilities were just under the F button in Red Alert 3. So simple.

The real time tactics approach in 2 wasn't something people liked in multiplayer, that's why last stand, a fun mode where you customize your hero is the most played

>starcraft 2
>good

>no total annihilation
>no dawn of war 1

I'm always so fucking angry at this.

>Battle for Middle Earth 2
my negroid. You forgot World in Conflict though.

I think DoW3 is fine, but I would agree that heroes are way to strong, specially because loosingthem just mean a CD penalty and no resource...

I guess im more forgiving because playing against AI with strong characters is fine, but I can see the BS the game being with the heroes being so strong....

The lack of defensive building kind if stand as well to me....
Also other thing I don't get as well is them calling the game cartoony

I think people just like coop game modes. Left 4 Dead 2, Starcraft 2 coop, but also in moba's in TF2. Big game hunters.

>AoM was a vast improvement
you fucking wish

Why everyone hates CNC3 TW? i don't get it is a pretty good game for the series.

power core, elite points, escalations, and unit refunds were all a mistake

>he didn't mention Shogun total war
Lol, pleb

>anilla/titanium wars/U. apocalypse
>not FoK
iamdisappoint.jpeg

The game is quite good, especially the campaign. But I think a lot of people disliked the scrin.

I think it's okay. C&C4 was absolute trash, though.

Units move too quickly across the map
Infantry comes as squads instead of individuals
Juggernaut's normal attack changed into a cooldown ability

There's more, but it was just too many little changes that made it feel like it wasn't quite C&C.
Or rather, it distinctly lost its "Westwood" feel, and became EA.

It wasn't a bad game, it was good, but it wasn't great.

>faster game play
>expanded upgrade tree that required you to make important commitments and lock out other possibilities
>more unit variety
>factions function entirely differently on almost all levels of gameplay (unit compositions, resource collection, base building)
>myth unit/hero unit dynamic
>god powers
>one of the best map/scenario edits ever created
Nice argument.