WiiU

>WiiU
>ultimatley a failure
>switch comes out
>does just fine
>ports literal wiiU games and people love them
>so what changed?

Is this evidence that games on a console are less imortant than good marketing? People have always said a lot of Sony’s success was down to “good marketing” but is this 180 that Nintendo have done an example of the best marketing for a console in the last 30 years? How did they do it? Because it’s literally not really the games, those existed on wiiU also, even BOTW.

Well Cred Forums? Is it marketing? I think so.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qBVyF0I2Ruo
youtu.be/y8QCFNAgPDo?t=2m2s
youtu.be/4e3qaPg_keg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Is this evidence
You're just now realizing this? PS4 had no games for how long? They were literally banking off of Microsoft's fuck up.

>So what changed
The name and the costs

It 99% has to do with the portability aspect. The main appeal of the Switch is you can take it wherever.

The Wii U was just an underpowered home console with a shitty forced tablet attached to the device.

>PS4 had no games for how long?
How long has it been out? 4 and a half years? It's pathetic how people fell for the marketing when it's a worse console than the fucking PS3.

>They were literally banking off of Microsoft's fuck up.

This would suggest that Microsoft is the default choice first though, barring any kind of fuck up of course.

The portable meme is not why the Switch is a success. The Wii U was a failure because everyone thought it was an addon to the Wii. Ask anyone working retail when this thing came out and they'll tell you the same.

PCocks are this deluded from reality

360 became the go to console. PS3 was struggling to keep up. Then Microsoft announced their own version of Steam, and everyone hated it, which drove people to the PS4 and Sony who were literally making advertisements going
>Yeah, we let you trade your games! Now pay for PSN

See that’s interesting because i would probably buy a “2DS” kind of Switch that would just be a console and a pro controller for a cheaper price. I like the look of some of these Nintendo games, but im turned off by the unwarrented price tag and tablet thing right now.

You're probably never going to buy one then.

What? No.

>OP
>Pcock

I literally do not own a PC at all actually, not even a single cheap laptop.

>PS3 was struggling to keep up

The PS3 came out way after and asked for like, $200 more for the same shit, id say it did pretty well considered user.

And how many revisions did Sony drop of the console that literally removed feature after feature? It only did well once it became a gutted, skeleton of what the original device was.

Eh. Who saw the Wii mini or the 2DS coming? I could see it happening.

Marketing is the only reason why anything really succeeds in the first place, it has nothing to do with quality.

Marketing helped lead to WiiU's failure, but there are 2 big differences with Switch and WiiU.

1.switch is actually portable, WiiU tablet was mostly a gimmick.

2.The games. Yes they share some games, but Switch had a volume of successful stuff right at the beginning(Zelda, Odyssey Splatoom and Mario Kart). The WiiU didnt get Splatoon until 2015 and Zelda until the very end.

Also, Switch has stronger third party support, and a lot of peopld dig the ability to play Doom/Skyrim/Disagea etc on the go.

>what changed
people actually own a switch

I have neither of them, but the 2DS removes only 3D, which isn't a necessary component of the device, and the Wii Mini just got rid of the backwards compatibility in favor of a tinier device, correct? Switch has some shit that's integral to it as a device that they wouldn't be able to get rid, at least I would think they wouldn't.

Agreed. PS4 is huge step backwards from PS3. Im amazed people support that shit system. Of course "free" shovelware and downloading your save files is worth it, right?

At least in America, the largest vidya market, 360 was the default home console. Many hardcore 360 fans jumped t9 the PS4 after the marketing team from Sony advertised many multiplats like Battlefield 1, Star Wars, and Destiny as PS4 exclusives.

Ok? I can’t be mad at people deciding they prefer the simple stuff to all that linux shit. It should have tanked xbone style user, but it didn’t. I can’t be mad at that.

DUH user BUT WHY?? ITS CLEARLY NOT THE GAMES THEN IS IT??

Yes. The PS3 on its 4th year already had a respectable catalogue. The PS4 has what? A bunch of PS3 games, a couple movie games, Nier and a Zelda wannabe? That's pathetic.

You retard, you said it did decently despite being 200 dollars more expensive. I'm saying it only did decently once they removed 300 dollars worth of shit inside of it and sold it for cheaper than the 360.

Ah i see. Shame for me, i just want a Gamecube 2

Mine is basically that. Plugged into my monitor, audio outputting to my 2.1 setup. Leaves my dock once in a while at most.

>it did decently

Hearing you loud and clear over here user.

Of course, sony retards can't have conversation.

It became obvious with the PS4 that marketing is all that matters. It didn't get its first exclusive for almost 2 years and virtually all its games were on the PS3 which most of their potential customers already had.

the WiiU was a clunky mess.
the pad was pointless and was attempted to be passed off as portable.
it wasn't portable.

nintendo did what sony attempted to do, which was make the console portable.
only nintendo is actually competent, the wiiu was a prototype that they fine tuned and perfected.

For me it’s got Tekken 7, Yakuza 0 and Kiwami, Resident Evil VII, bloodborne, MGSV, GZ, Dark Souls III, battlefield 1, damn nigga i love my PS4 too.

user it did WELL, it SHOULD have done as BAD as thr xbone is doing now. £599 for a two year late console with games on 360 that we heard play worse than first promised?? The PS3 should have failed full stop. There should have been no “recovery period” but there was.

Stupid shit, it didn't do well until it was a 200 dollar console.

It is funny how WiiU owners are now pushing the narrative that the console had nothing wrong gameswise.

In 2014, there were like 6 titles worth owning(Smash MK, Bayo, Captain Toad, DKTF and Hyrule Warriors).
2015 had about 4(Splatoon, Mario Maker, Yoshi and XCX)
2016 had Mirage Sessions and Pokken.

The fact that third party support dried up after 2013 killed it.

WiiU
>name implies that it's an add-on or accessory or something
>completely counter-intuitively designed interaction between controller and console, arbitrarily forcing you to use one or the other to do specific things for no reason
>central marketing point was handheld tablet/controller, can't be taken more than ~20 feet away from the console
>botched marketing campaign
>far less power and fewer notable games (although there were some goddamn gems) than the contemporary competition
Switch
>first completely "new" Nintendo console in 12 years
>legendary launch titles
>no region lock
>explicitly designed to encourage 3rd party support
>super fast firmware with effective sound design
>cartridges reduce load times and encourage collecting
>sturdy feeling and highly durable
>peculiar design sets it apart from the competition
>more highly anticipated games on the way

Gee, couldn't tell you, OP

because no one played those wii-u games

Third party support doesn't fucking matter on a Nintendo console. All the Switch has right now is DOOM and Skyrim and it's the fastest selling console ever. The only third party franchise I think actually matters on a Nintendo console is Monster Hunter because of the Japanese market and it already has one.

>sturdy feeling and highly durable
okay I like the switch and all but this is a lie

By the way, I don't actually think the portability was responsible for the success. From what I can tell, it seems like most people, myself included, bought it for console use and ended up being surprised by just how easy and convenient the handheld mode it.

youtu.be/qBVyF0I2Ruo

>Giant, clunky controller with a screen, still tied to a home-console and not actually portable, cost $350

>Entire console is half the size of the gamepad, can take it anywhere, and launched at a lower MSRP

>It is funny how WiiU owners are now pushing the narrative that the console had nothing wrong gameswise.
Nice selective memory.

Wii U still has more exclusives than PS4 and Xbone combined even after losing some to the Switch and 3DS.

>muh third party
It dried up because no one bought it, third parties needed to make more than broken $60 ports but anything beyond that was deemed to risky and costly because of how stupidly bloated AAA development has become. the problem is the fact that third party publishers want to make almost nothing but safe blockbusters that have to be multiplat to sell enough copies to actually make any money. In the 5th and 6th gen days, we had tons of smaller, niche games and publishers like Activision actually took risks and published games like Lost Kingdoms. Don't see much of that now.

Ok user, ok, tell me when the xbox one is doing well at $200 also, like the PS3
Somehow managed. Fucking hell, you aren’t getting me here at all.

youtu.be/y8QCFNAgPDo?t=2m2s

The Switch itself is a god damned tank. Look for other durability test videos, the results are always the same. It can take a real beating. It also has a good weight to it and zero plastic creak like the WiiU.
The plastic screen is easy to scratch, but almost impossible to shatter, and the scratching is completely fixed by a tempered glass screen protector.

The biggest blunder of the Wii-U is its name.

Clearly it wasn't the game that the people disliked, even a kindergartner could tell you that.

It may be actually very durable, but it sure doesn't feel that way when you hold it in your hands. I just started playing with the pro controller and whenever I take the switch itself into my hands it feels like the joycons are gonna fall apart any time.

Yeah, it's likely that nintendo upped their marketing because of how shit the WiiU was.
As of right now, both of them have 5 good games.

You could have just said “yeah marketing”

>it's not the games
WELL, they are.
You have to think that on WiiU you had to wait 6 months between releases.
It wasn't a good thing.
Now, you buy a switch and BAM, games and also you have the future games to look at.
When the WiiU started having a good library, it was already dying, so you were not going to buy a dying console for 300 bucks.
That's it, really.

>>cartridges reduce load times and encourage collecting
How in the hell does having games on small ass fuck cartridges encourage collecting exactly?

YES user BUT WHY

Because nobody wanted a tablet accessory for their Wiis.

Not him, but I'd say that you could put them together in some kind of album pretty much like people collect stamps or coins.

They introduced the console as some fucking add on, only showing Wii games and fucking checkers youtu.be/4e3qaPg_keg

you know there's no obligation to take it out from the dock, right?

But they do for their switch?

The system itself may be able to take some damage, but the railing system and the joycons are a totally different matter. Only after a month of sliding them on and off the console, they've become quite loose and creak with heavier pressure. It's honestly annoying as shit. Hell, my brother's switch is even starting to get that way and he hardly even uses the joycons preferring the pro controller.

>When the WiiU started having a good library, it was already dying
It was basically dead after its November launch, it sold ~3m units right away, dropped significantly and never recovered.

It was the result of a combination of factors, lack of strong launch games, bad marketing and just the simple fact that the tablet controller was not as attractive as Nintendo thought it would be. They didn't fuck up super hard in any one area, but it all came together and spelled death for the platform.

Ueah but i also feel it could be £100-£150 cheaper to justify buying without the screen shit. Id pay £200 tops to play those games, not £350

>feels like
Yeah, feels, doesn't mean it will happen.
For me it does not feel that fragile to, I grab it and use it as any other portable device.

get it used faggot.
I got mine from ebay and it was like new. I spent 400€ but everything was boxed, as new, and it had Switch, extra pair of joy cons, Zelda limited edition, 1-2switch, pro controller, charging grip, protective case, screen protector and some gamestop extended protection for like 3 years.

You are literally spinning a wheel of random consumer success with Nintendo products. You never know when their flagship product will be absolutely garbage, or something arbitrary like Amiibos will turn into a venerable gold mine.

For almost 500 dollars you might as well have gotten brand new LOL

>mobile poster

>Is this evidence that games on a console are less imortant than good marketing?
Yes but it's not the first time we get evidence of it

>you will never play bing bing wahoo with a cute asian grill

>looking for a fight this hard

WiiU might as well have been a beta test for Switch. Switch is the same concept done better in every way.

THATS WHERE YOU ARE WRONG user AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

The Wii U itself was just an unappealing and confusing mess to the mass market. Nintendo's marketing was terrible and the name made people think of it like it was an add on to the Wii.

He's not wrong. Microsoft fucked up their xbone reveal so bad probably half of the 360 owners jumped ship. They didn't have any other choice but to go to playstation.

A new one is 330€, the Zelda limited edition is 120€. If you add all the other shit it ends up to 750€ of value. Getting it all for 400€ is quite the deal.

It's pretty fucking strong. As strong as a gameboy which could survive a nuclear bomb. You could throw the thing at a brick wall and it'd be in good condition.

The PS4 wasn't selling on exclusives, it was selling on being the place to play FIFA and GTAV.

Marketing and the whole Zelda/Mario coming out in the same year. I played BOTW on my WiiU and then bought a switch for Mario and Xenoblade. And then normals love portability. The switch is something that people didn't even know they wanted until they got it

Xbox One did very well when it was $200 for the holidays just a few months ago.

And CoD, they get the DLCs early.

>Is this evidence that games on a console are less imortant than good marketing?
Absolutely. You can get big numbers only by building up a fad.

A bit unrelated question but I don't know where else to ask and this thread has some smart anons in there it seems. I want to play DS and some NES, SNES, etc games and get THE BEST experience. I only own a computer and android phone. Should I buy 3DS/2DS/Switch/PSP/tablet for that?

When the Wii U finally got a killer app, it was also on the Switch

she looks like a gecko

Better marketing and gimmicks. I'll take the ports since I skipped the WiiU.

N3DS

>super fast firmware with effective sound design

>Cant reproduce 5.1 audio without an splitter and a hometheater with hdmi input because it doesnt have a fucking optical audio output like any fucking console since 10 years ago
>the joycon dont have 3.5 audio connector
>nor does the pro controller
>no bluetooth headphone compatibility directly from the console
>the monstrosity that is online chat system

I love my nintendo switch but audio is the weakest point

The Wii U was an underpowered console with a tablet for a controller. You weren't tied to the TV, but you couldn't take it very far from it. Some games required the gamepad for gyro or touch even when people just want to use the TV, and some games required the TV when you want to kick back and use the gamepad.

The Switch itself is the tablet. It works just as well without being tethered to an electrical outlet. It's still possible to connect it to a TV and play that way, and you can use a normal controller while doing it because all the gimmicks like gyro and amiibo are built into all of them.

The Switch is everything the Wii U wanted to be. It got better marketing because it WAS better.