Fire Emblem

What are your opinions on the skill system in each game, and which is your favourite? What kind of system, old or totally new, do you wish to see in FE16?

Other urls found in this thread:

dropbox.com/sh/dd4pjquo33gglaa/AABwvt6xWFMWCNmd4noSgnSXa?dl=0.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

A mix of 6 and 7 where axes are good but actually hit.

All I want I'd FE16 to revisit a continent and go into its future, even if it's Ylisse. I do not want another fates tier story ever again, IS needs to stick with what they know for story, I'd rather them be bold on gameplay instead.

Awakening is the best in every regard. No wonder it single-handily saved the series!

Skill system, not the skill stat.

I honestly really liked the skill system in Echoes. Despite the maps being dogshit I felt the mechanics themselves made up for it to some degree. Actually using skills when you want to use them and making them a tactical decision that requires a sacrifice is a lot more interesting than building a character around RNG skills. I want that skill system in a game with great maps, and we'd have GOAT Fire Emblem gameplay.
Bring back Hidari for the art too.

bump

I want a hybrid between the Tellius and Fates system. Everyone gets a unique personal skill, innate skill, and one class skill at lvl 10 for the base and promoted class. Other advanced skills are both via a shop for a limited amount or obtain through chapters by either completing side objectives or some other criteria. Skills required HP (significant amount), based on a cooldown, some RNG, and passive.

PoR's is probably my favourite skill system, I personally don't like the overabundance of skills in newer games, but that's just me.

Let's have something new instead of rehashing the same damn thing again and again.

I don't mind having a fair few skills, but usually the earlier ones are slight passives like +2 attack, defense, etc. so they're not so bad. Enemies having skills is a weird one though, like a normal enemy archer just being given Counter and Countermagic is pretty annoying.

How would you all feel about them incorporating the still system from Heroes? Maybe not the movement abilities since those are more required because of the limited movement, but the drive, ploy, threaten, goad, etc skills. What about all of the stances or bonds or how the cooldowns work on combat abilities? How do you think these would transition to a mainline game?

Pic unrelated but you can never have enough Minerva

Fates mixed with tellius is the only way it should go.

Enemies be given fixed skills is one of the best thing about Conquest. You have to actively play around it and figure out a way to counter it. A archer with counter means you can't just run up and slap his shit like you could before.

Until IS can prove themselves, I'd rather they """rehash""" a story then attempt a new continent the next time, because they fucked up not once with fates, but twice with revelation dlc

I've finally wrapped up the first version of my rebalancing hack for Fates, download at dropbox.com/sh/dd4pjquo33gglaa/AABwvt6xWFMWCNmd4noSgnSXa?dl=0. The prepatched file is the prepatched .3ds rom, while the other file is the modded files if you would rather extract/replace/rebuild your rom yourself. Full installation instructions are in the readme.

My changes have focused mostly on Conquest, toning down some of the most overpowered units, and making some of the weaker units a bit more usable (pic related: Camilla's new starting stats in Conquest).

My hack is built off the gay hack and the early flora hack, so those are also included in the modded files.

I have also made a version where class-based pair up bonuses have all been set to 0. My dropbox ins't big enough for both prepatched versions, so you'll need to apply that yourself if you want it.

Major changes:
>Children in their paralogues that started as allies are now player controlled (except for Forrest and Kana)
>Raijinto and Siegfried reduced to range 1 when Xander and Ryoma are player units (except for chapter 6). As enemies their weapons are unchanged
>Raijinto, Siegfried, Yato stat bonuses halved
>Goddess Icons now give only +2 luck, price halved and shop stock doubled
>Tonic price doubled and shop stock limited to 2 per shop level
>Silver weapons, including rabbit spirit and ragnarok, price cut in half to 2000
>Nyx skl and res growths increased 15%
>Arthur gained the Clarity skill (recovers from stat reductions twice as fast)
>Odin, Peri, Charlotte starting level and stats increased
>Peri secondary class set changed from dark mage to outlaw
>Camilla joins as level 15 wyvern rider, with stats reduced by 5 levels
>Beruka now joins with Lunge skill and a Hand Axe
>Maid/Butler max dagger rank increased from B to A
>Rescue ranged reduced from 10 to 4, and uses increased from 2 to 5
>Gunter growths increased from utterly awful to below average

>drive, ploy, threaten, goad, etc skills
Most of these are basically modified Awakening and Fates skills.

more.

>Peri secondary class set changed from dark mage to outlaw
I mean dark mage is a stupid reclass option but why outlaw?

>What are your opinions on the skill system in each game, and which is your favourite?
9/10 probably have my favorite iteration of it in mainline, with Fates close behind, but honestly I kind of like how Heroes does their skill system. If they removed the need to kill units for skills and finetuned it a bit more I think it'd go great in a mainline entry.

needed to be something, outlaw gives her a different class set from both the other cavs and the other outlaws, and she has different stats from the others with outlaw access.

I dislike most skills in the newer games that are something like +2 attack or other junk like that. I only like skills like Astra, Lethality, or Vantage that really mix up how a unit plays. The small stuff is easily overlooked and makes gameplay tedious when you need to scroll through the entire enemy roster and inspect their one-off abilities. I prefer abilities being locked to classes for the most part, with a few exceptions for bosses or special playable characters.

Post more Elise.

The newer games on higher difficulties are very tedious because of that, which sucks. All the shit like breaker skills are trash too.

Thread is dying post reaction pics.

The +2 stat skills are incredibly useful when combined with tonics. Hell STR +2 with a tonic is better then the prized Elbow room because you get an extra point of damage and aren't limited to terrain. See skills are there for you to think about, not just slap on or completely ignore.

Doot!

I would but the only images I have left are on my phone since my computer kicked it.

Not a reaction pic but when the fuck am I ever going to use this

Call me shit, but most of these changes just look like you're making the game harder while tossing a few treats to the worst units in the game.

shit

You gotta wait till the thread is near dead for another one.

>As enemies their weapons are unchanged
You gonna change how enemy exclusive weapons work, like the Silver Star Axe and their equals to function like the regular version of the ranged weapon, or is that out of your reach?

I want to rape Elise

does this count?

I just want to say fuck having to reclass to learn skills.

What the fuck was his problem?

edgy kid.

No, you don't.

Shinon was his teacher, he's a child soldier and he can see his brothers die in battle right before his eyes.

I fuckin love this picture

I like fire emblem warriors.

You're not wrong, but I want to see what the game is like a bit more with the strongest few units toned down before I make too many other units better.

I could, but the entire point of those enemy-only weapons is that they are different.

Nerfing Siegfried is the biggest change there and does make the game harder but for good reason. Now Marx can't rape and defend against anything.

>you will never give Elise a piggyback ride

Ryoma x Elise is the best ship because of those supports.

>play Birthright thinking I'll get to kill most of the Nohr family
>just Xander dies

You don't know me

Know you? I am you.

Not a game designer or anything but the one flaw I had with Fates difficulty was that you were either destroying everything instantly or being walled without losing anyone
There's no "risky" plays or clutch moments and I blame the weapons especially Silvers autistic debuff
I would 100% play this if you found a way to overhaul the weapon system but I like your changes so i'll still give this a try

>Imagine that I have lost all sense of self and am determined to kill Elise

Requesting rare qt Felicias!!

Are the SNES Fire Emblem games worth playing? I love the visual style and want to buy a translated cart if they're worth it

WE GOT TROUBLE

They definitely are but I would just play an emulator. Geneology is certainly worth playing, there is an argument to be made that it's the best FE title overall.

>Emulator
Any reason not to do a cart? I just hate emulators most of the time

ehh, expensive and unwieldy. but if you're willing to bite the bullet on those 2 factors, then I don't think it's a huge deal. I don't think they have like, any huge bugs that ROMS fix or anything like that.

I want Felicia to give me trouble

FE3 thread almost up.

There isn't a single argument that can be made for 4 being the best FE game with its gameplay.

AND MAKE IT DOUBLE

I want the map designs of Conquest, the class/stats system and overworld of Sacred Stones, with dungeons from Echos, and the aesthetic of Genealogy/Thracia

do you have permission to post this?!

DIDN'T EXPECT THAT, DID YA?

The maps in geneaology are unique in their scale, and it makes it kind of different to play compared to most other entiries in the series. It's less small-unit tactics and more like, huge battles with fronts and stuff like that. It's fine if you don't like it, but I definitely think its worth playing at least for how unique it is.

>all of those delightful weapon designs
>and then a fucking chainsaw sword that looks like shit

Silvers were the big loser of the new weapon paradigm. My goal by making them cheaper was for them to at least be worth buying as a niche option. Any other changes I make would also effect enemies unless I create separate versions, which is a very ugly workaround that I don't want to do unless I have no other option, or give all the enemies with silver weapons something else which would be a huge pain in the ass.

What if silvers were available much earlier, from the tier 1 shop? Would their high might early on be enough to make their stat debuff worth it?

>with dungeons from Echos
The dungeons in Echoes really needed to be fleshed out more, they're basically just straight paths most of the time.

Yeah, FE is really at it's best when it goes for a more realist bent

Mystletainn looks like total shit too.

that's true, but I feel like they add conceptually to the series. more like, exploration/adventure. Its cool even though most of the dungeons were boring.

It looks cool as hell.

Risking having your unit be locked to 0-1 atk AND SPD for a couple of turns is almost irredeemable
You'd have to make it function like the Lightning sword in Valencia, big MT but no room to scale

Not that user, but would it be possible to implement a reworking of the debuffs that Silver weapons give? I was thinking something like half of the maximum debuffs you received being recovered on the next turn or something, that way you're still punished for tossing someone into a crowd of enemies with it but you're not crippled for the entire map if you do use it.

silvers ought to just do extra damage to monsters or something, and then intsys should expand the enemy-types so that you're not just constantly fighting enemy solders.

They tried that with Fates and managed to make two of their worst stories ever to date (Birthright gets some slack because it's played so straight that it's not as bad but Conquest and Revelation are just insulting to your intelligence)

I never said anything about it not worth playing. But no argument can be made about it being the best in the series with the amount of issues it has.

What is Navarre doing in Tellius?

the story and writing in conqeust is literally worse than any game I've ever played.

It really doesn't, Ragnell, Alondite, and the first two Falchions are much cooler.

Now try Revelation and be amazed that they managed to make something even worse than that, it's impressive really

I guess I meant best like "preference" not best like "polish and quality"

every FE has multiple glaring flaws

Theoretically possible, but well beyond what I can do.

Maybe I need to post more Owain.

>class/stats system of Sacred Stones
No. We don't need limited class variation.

>We don't need limited class variation.
Branching promotions are better than reclassing.

then why the fuck is he even an archer? just make him a swordsman with a 1-2 range sword. Cheating the fundamental roles of the game isn't good design, it's just a lazy way to make things a teeny bit harder by making you have to tap on every little skill bubble on every enemy.

Damn, denied again. I will have vengeance one day!

nah

Okay first Awakening and Fates do have branching promotions. Second, no, Fates reclassing adds a lot more decision making and customization then ever before while maintaining balance. Lastly, the "stats" part is the problem here. There is no reason to go back to a unified STR/MAG. I know Tellius and beyond are too complex for your little brain but come now, stop trying to dumb down the games.

How is checking to see if the myrmidon has a 2-range sword different from checking to see if the archer has close counter

Branching promotions > reclassing

>no Camilla as Misato
Why

>>Rescue ranged reduced from 10 to 4, and uses increased from 2 to 5
For what purpose? You might as well remove it altogether at that point.

>then why the fuck is he even an archer?
Archers are incredibly strong.
>just make him a swordsman with a 1-2 range sword
He would have penalty tied to that sword which literally makes him easier to kill. What's the difference between a 2 range sword and counter? You still need to check.
>Cheating the fundamental roles
How is that cheating? Both you and enemy units can get skills they normally won't be able to. It isn't even cheating if its built into the game. Again, you have to actively play around it and figure out a way to counter it. It isn't something you can just ignore. And its actually brilliant way because it makes brainlets mad.

Probably to prevent Rescue cheesing, but at that point it might as well be useless.

I guess it's not that different, but 1-2 range swords are significantly more common than close counter, and checking an enemies weapon is the first thing you should do pretty much always.
Honestly i just don't like archers with close counter because they're basically a perfect unit. They have no weapon triangle weakness, they invalidate fliers, and they usually have high STR too. like if the enemy can train archers to have close counter why do they even field swordsmen at all.

as of Fates ranged weapons have their own triangle

I'd argue that rescue would still have a lot of use even with the reduced range. You could still use it to avoid a death in the event that RNG fucks you over and one of your units get softened up a bit too much or something.

Who?

>They have no weapon triangle weakness

To kill rescue skipping was the reason for reducing the range. It also isn't needed for recruiting kids since they start as player-controlled now. The idea with giving it extra charges is that you could use it less conservatively when you need it.