bento.io/
programming-motherfucker.com/
github.com/vhf/free-programming-books/blob/master/free-programming-books.md
theodinproject.com/
freecodecamp.com/
w3schools.com/
developer.mozilla.org/
codewars.com/
youtu.be/JxAXlJEmNMg?list=PL7664379246A246CB - "Crockford on JavaScript" lecture series.

>Useful Youtube channels
derekbanas
thenewboston
learncodeacademy
funfunfunction
computerphile
codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528/

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "
youtu.be/zf_cb_Nw5zY - "JavaScript is Easy" - If you can't into programming, you probably won't find a simpler introduction to JavaScript than this.

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/adonisjs
eloquentjavascript.net/
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12477190
codepen.io/user/pen/ZpQwpX?editors=0010
hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/
youtube.com/watch?v=nI0cQ-2YR1I&feature=youtu.be&t=8h5m48s
codepen.io/user/pen/JRGzkY?editors=0010
codepen.io/user/pen/XjXGwJ?editors=0010
dev.to/ben/the-fat-client---thin-client-debate
spqrchan.org/vinum/
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k
askubuntu.com/questions/2368/how-do-i-set-up-a-cron-job
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
github.com/JoelBesada/activate-power-mode
npmjs.com/package/minimux
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for PHP

to the user here doing CodeWars and thinking of applying to Hacker Reactor, what kyu or kata or whatever are you in CodeWars? I want to know what level I need to think of applying to HR as well.

Why does that sound like a scam. You pay for a "workshop" that boasts that the people who graduate there can make up to 105k?

TypeScript a shit.

It's not a scam, it's used to weed out the idiots. Those who pay $20k for some mediocre course go into the 'idiot' pile.

Is node.js the new java for pajeets?
github.com/adonisjs (from India)

TypeScript a great. You a shit.

That aside, what are you having problems with?

TypeScript is like CSS preprocessors like sass or less.
It's a garbage and a fucking mess when you need JS libraries.

CSS preprocessors aren't statically typed, which is the entire point of TS. This enables a lot more code correctness checks, hinting, tooltips, autocompletion and refactoring tools. And using it with other libraries is simple. Just import definitions or write your own in 10-20 lines.

What is the easiest wed bed job to shoot for if I'm going to be self taught. I want to start somewhere after freelancing pajeet tier shit for minimum wage for experience. Is it doing wordpress shit? I'm trying to map this shit out before going full retard.

learn basic HTML and CSS, then go beast-mode on javascript (you can get the Eloquent Javascript book for free on gen.lib, plus Codewars is great exercise material). Once you got that down you should be able to get some offers, but you should keep expanding your knowledge according to the specific jobs you're interested in.

eloquentjavascript.net/

Yea that is the plan. Do you know of any titles I should be looking for. I want to know what my area offers. Is it just jr java developer or something?

why is it doing this and how do i tell it to not ruin everything for no reason

can somebody please just tell me how to learn this stuff, i have no idea what to even google. every time something doesn't work with html/css, i just sit here for an hour or two googling things which sort of sound like they would be what i need but they never work out.

please help me god

the border added when you hover over a card pushes it down, which occupies the space of the one below it and pushes it to the right

jr web dev, jr javascript, or sometimes they say 'graduate' which means you just graduated (no exp required) but they don't necessarily demand a degree, it's just another way of saying 'entry position'.

you should look into the differences between frontend, backend and full stack: backend is just coding the inner workings, frontend you gotta do a lot of design and making things pretty and sometimes talking to the customer a lot, full is everything.

just look for some job offers and see what interests you, and what sort of languages/skills go hand in hand.

Also, Java is different from Javascript, don't get confused. And when I said learn HTML, CSS and Javascript, don't do it in that order. Start with Javascript, focus hard on that, then add the rest.

And check the certs and jobs thread that's occasionally up here on Cred Forums, pretty good info in there.

so how do i stop the space below from getting pushed to the right by an invading element?

Float them or make the container bigger.

I'm at 5kyu. I met a guy that was accepted and he's at 6kyu.

I'd say to make sure you read up to Chapter 6 on Eloquent Js and get to the point where you feel confident solving level 6 kata.

If you call working from at least 9am to 8am Monday through Saturday for 3 months a workshop. You can Google what alumni have to say about it.

Day 3 of job search.

When in school I mostly focused on PHP. End project was a CMS from scratch, then my 2nd project after I graduated was rewriting a function to create a SELECT query into something that now works with PDO prepared statements, 4 types of queries be it SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, multidimensional arrays etc. 3rd project is a JS-heavy web app with some ajax done with xml and php (don't ask, steam is a piece of shit) that I'm close to finishing. Minor fixes and code cleanup is what's left to do there. After that I'm diving into Laravel to at the end rewrite the CMS with it.

Any suggestions as to what else should I be doing? I'm mostly interested in back-end since front-end often requires design and I suck at it.

Also, how "required" is bachelors in IT for back-end atm? Asking cos I applied for front-end job and their answer was "lol no bachelors, kay bb".

Any good web design inspiration/guide sites you know of?

Are you getting paid for that work? No? Then it's a workshop and a scam.

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12477190
>Ask HN: Is web programming a series of hacks on hacks?

thank you
i don't know what you meant by floating them but making the container bigger worked

Oh my god I have never looked it that way

>news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12477190
>JavaScript - Dynamically typed, does not scale what so ever. Code written in it becomes 'read only' very quickly. Impossible to refactor.
>Impossible to refactor

Why are typebabies so sensitive? If they can't hit a button in Resharper then something becomes "Impossible to refactor".

Dynamically typed languages while faster to develop are inherently slower, easier to introduce bugs, facilitate less related tooling and harder to build large projects with. It is not that hard to pitch all the disadvantages against that one plus.

all webpages should be made in webgl
it should all be c++
there should be cameras

So basically what I'm trying to do a table that takes the number of rows and columns that you want (In React). And this is the closest I can get after several hours.

codepen.io/user/pen/ZpQwpX?editors=0010

Now, the problem is that in the columns I'm actually making a copy of the rows so if I try to change one item it changes the items in all the columns. You can see that is a copy because of the numbers in each column 1 - 17 and then it repeats, when it should be 1 - 162. How can I fix that, how would you do it?

FALSE INFLATION!!

Whether you click "I agree" or the "X", it posts that you agree!

Anyone wanna expose this?
Someone check the scripts to get the code?

hillaryclinton.com/feed/donald-trump-pepe-the-frog-and-white-supremacists-an-explainer/

Is this shit real?

Don't know react and used as little effort as possible (modified your stuff), but best I can come up with.

proper way to map a 2d array to 1d array

So just my way, but with multiplication.

Either way, react seems like it overcomplicates it.

Thanks, it works just as I wanted but maybe what I wanted is wrong in the first place though, as you can see if I want to access and change the value of one of the cells I have to go through a lot of stuff, it'll look something like this:

columns[0].props.children.props.children[0].props.children.props.children

Which looks crazy and really unnecessary, I'm going to do some more research and see if this is a valid solution. Btw I'm just learning React and indeed seems like overcomplicating everything sometimes I just don't get what the fuck I'm doing, people say it's just while your are learning so let's see. Thanks again.

I honestly don't see the point of React when you have Angular or any other MVC framework already. I get the decoupling stuff from the DOM to make it testable and more flexible, but why not go all the way and make it a full fletched framework instead of just a view component library? Why would I just want a view?

Why are the tds and trs surrounded by divs anyway.

Erm... You're right. That leaves us with this:

columns[0].props.children[0].props.children

Which still kinda weird to see but is way less retarded that the other one.

>If you call working from at least 9am to 8am Monday through Saturday

This is why this shit is retarded.

Just sit down for a week and work on a random project with this schedule. You'll get just as much if not more out of it than the chumps who dish out 20k for a fucking live javascript tutorial.

React does a lot more than 'View'. The component model it offers is deceptively powerful.

youtube.com/watch?v=nI0cQ-2YR1I&feature=youtu.be&t=8h5m48s

Are you fucking stupid? If, by sticking to the program, I'm practically guaranteed a job in the middle class where both the employee and employer seem to be happy, who is getting scammed?

If I had loaners willing to finance, I'd pay to be a part of a dedicated group trying to learn to program alone. The fact that the program is industry proven is icing on the cake.

Udacity has a decent intro to HTML and CSS. I think that pretty much teaches you enough to be dangerous. You can try recreating websites from there.

It was a paradigm shift when I learned all web pages are made as a blocked shaped grid. This is what threads look like when they aren't in elements that contain them in tables. Without the element that defines it as a grid, everything would be in small test running along the left side of the screen. I think that fact takes a lot of the mystery out

You don't want to reach into props.anything and mutate it (assign to it, or assign to a property on it, or increment it). React works best when your UI (virtual dom) is built as a function of state and/or props.

State + Props => DOM

To change DOM, as in render something new, change state if you own it (setState), or ask your parent component to change the props via a callback

Why a week and not 3 months? It's probably something I plan on doing intermittently for the rest of my life once I get a job -- where I'll be learning at a much higher level. I'm willing to go in debt to make the process of learning basics and getting a job that much smoother.

>practically guaranteed

OK m8. Don't get your hopes up, though.

codepen.io/user/pen/JRGzkY?editors=0010
Click on a cell to change its value.

* state is encapsulated in the component; we initialize the 2d array with props, but then it takes over from there
* render is a pure function that transforms the current state into a view

forceUpdate is an escape hatch for state mutations that I'm only using because I'm lazy and non-mutating deep updates to objects are a PITA

>Udacity has a decent intro to HTML and CSS.
I want to know about actual design not programming, I'm already proficient in most front end and back end stuff, I want to design my own shit without looking like amateur garbage.

I'm not counting on going 0 to $100k in 3 months but yeah, I'm expecting a job

less lazy version
codepen.io/user/pen/XjXGwJ?editors=0010

Posting some of what I found on the page source.

"modal_zone":{"type":"lightboxes","default":{"id":"13268","type":"daisy_chain","anim":"fade","cta_list":[{"id":"12361","type":"cta_primer","fields":{"title_text":"Donald Trump is temperamentally unfit for the presidency. ","body_text":"","button_text":"I Agree","media_type":"image","image":{"alt_text":"","desktop":"","mobile":"","splash_page_desktop":""}},"bucket":{"send_email":0},"click_to_act":{"title_text":"","description":"","url":"","action_text":""},"order":0},{"id":"6328","type":"cta_signup_email","fields":{"title_text":"Stand with Hillary and help keep Trump out of the White House","button_text":"Count me in",

Because within a week you'll either quit or realize that you can do it on your own. Especially when you don't waste time on:
- commute
- bullshit talks
- stupid questions
- social events

What is something like Bootstrap but isn't so bloated?

wow user you're a real detective. go eat your nuggets now

>getting mad that you can't hack

Noob :)

Daily reminder that web developers aren't programmers.

If you just want a grid system there are a few.

I want something with nice typography

>Using a CSS framework

if you can't write CSS, just turn off your computer forever.

Just google font combinations web. You don't really use bootstrap or similar for the typography.

Daily reminder that your ability to write an extremely efficient bubble sort algorithm won't land you a job.

Fuck off, Pajeet.

Don't you have a FizzBuzz to make for the /dpt/, Ajeet?

Go back to writing your shitty PHP scripts, Pajeet.

Will do, you go back to being unemployed and making Hello Worlds.

Go fly a kite, sir.

;)

>inb4 404
bump

Cred Forums, what can you tell me about The Odin Project? I see that they want me to use rails+algular.js. Looks like they have everyhing I need.
I want to start from the beginning, learning for 2-4 hours each day for a 8-9 months. Can I achieve something? I know some basic java shit and a little html+css.

can any of these programming competition websites actually land you a job?

Saved the day at work today with this bad boy:
Date.prototype.getTime = function() { return 1; }

Crashing our app with no survivors.

Until you ask a recruiter it can both land you a job and not land you a job.

t. Schrodinger's job application

Coming back from a 6 year long hiatus from webdev (inb4 everybody walk the dinosaur), what the fuck is up with client-side rendering? I just retardedly fidgeted with Angular to quickly discover that the whole idea is to structure your server as a resful api and let your client figure out what it should do with the data.

Admittedly, this seems to be an elegant solution, as different kind of clients can draw data from the same api, but come on, when I'm building a run of the mill website, I know there won't be a mobile app for it. Users will just use the mobile browser.

It just feels like a bug, to not have easy integration to a page rendering server.
Can modern facebook machines take it, and not have 1-3+ second load times?
What about mobile, doesn't it kill performance? Or if not performance, battery life?
Do web crawlers index your site as easily? I guess google would, as it's their fucking framework, but what about the other sources of traffic?

I know you adapt your tools to the jobs. Am I thinking about this the wrong way and are such front-end frameworks designed with webapps in mind while the traditional "muh blag hear" is still done the old way?

my stupid practice app.js has 600 lines and it doesn't do anything

webdev is so stupid

Uhm, I hate to be the one to tell you this..

But have you ever considered that the problem is not the langauge?

Bullshit.

Only because C/Java babys can't cope with dynamically typing doesn't mean it's bad. It's more the baby duck syndrome of "oh noes, what type is this? Soo unsafe!" - a Lisp guy would have no problems with that.

Also stuff like TypeScript solves the wrong problems. Or like other put it: You gain something but you pay a price for it.

JavaScript is not Java and that's great.

>dev.to/ben/the-fat-client---thin-client-debate

Dynamic typing is objectively inferior and it's not question of "handling" it. If anything it's the javascript noobs who can't handle strong typing. Also for all of it's suggested strengths javascript doesn't do anything well enough to call it good - it's OOP is shitty hack, functional side shadow of real functional languages, concurrency myth, type system joke and so on. And no, ES6 doesn't do enough to fix it even if it's support would be better.

Why make the server work when the client can do it. I say fuck them phone battery life I'm not paying any extra. And yes any average laptop can render things as fast as if it was served by the server.

Is it worth it for me to get into web development?
Am currently a student and eventually want to work as a software engineer rather than web dev, but I find web development fun too. I've made some stuff in the past and would say I have a decent grasp on things (obviously I'm not professional tier as I haven't put in the time) but I was wondering if this is worth perusing as something to do for fun or eventually to get money on the side?

>Dynamic typing is objectively inferior

*[citation needed]

>Also for all of it's suggested strengths javascript doesn't do anything well enough to call it good

Agreed. That's why you use better appraoches like CoffeScript (which compiles to JavaScript) or a power library like underscore.js.

Also frameworks like Angular or React only exist because of what JS is lacking. But nevertheless dynamic typing is not the real problem.

Not mine but check

>when I'm building a run of the mill website, I know there won't be a mobile app for it. Users will just use the mobile browser.

Serverside rendering is still a thing. You can still do it the "old-fashoned" way if you think that's a better fit for your website. You can still embed vanilla javascript in your server-rendered views to add functionality. You can still use vanilla AJAX to hit a REST API without going full frontend framework.

>What about mobile, doesn't it kill performance? Or if not performance, battery life?

V8 and friends are actually pretty damn good at running JS code. There is rarely a performance bottleneck unless you're trying to do something way over-the-top or the programmer just did a shitty job.

The problem is almost always bandwidth, which is where the load time comes in. There are solutions, like rendering the initial view serverside (what React/Facebook does) or just displaying a loading screen. People are surprisingly patient when they have a spinner to stare at. Mostly just make sure your app is optimized as best you can and use a CDN.

>Do web crawlers index your site as easily?
Google bots have been able to run JS code for a couple years now, so they can see your code. No idea about other search engines but who cares about them anyway.

>Am I thinking about this the wrong way and are such front-end frameworks designed with webapps in mind while the traditional "muh blag hear" is still done the old way?

You can use anything for anything (except tables for styling)

You just have to weigh the pros and cons of the different options and decide what's best for your needs. Most blogs either use a blogging platform like tumblr or blogger, or a backend framework like wordpress. (Both render serverside.) A frontend framework like Angular would be massive overkill for something like that.

spqrchan.org/vinum/

It's an imageboard that's only open at certain times twice a day.

What the fuck are you even saying? Frameworks like angular exist because they're frameworks, they're reusable, abstracted functionality that facilitate development, their existence doesn't have anything to do with what JS is lacking as a language. Dynamic typing is a problem to us humans because it's prone to human errors, I know you have never worked on a large application before or else you wouldn't even argue how static typing is a better and safer way of doing things.

Typescript is something that exists to add stuff that JS actually lacks, like static typing, interfaces, access modifiers, intelisense and compile time checking. And it also compiles to JavaScript just like Coffescript.

What fucking price do you pay for using Typescript? You seem to just be spouting bullshit. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Memes aside, i need some counseling /wdg/:
I was a decent LAMP developer, but after 2 years the company i was working for laid us off and i got another job as generic "IT guy"/sysadmin, which is what i'm still doing. Salary is good but i actually want to get back to the web development world, and of course my knowledge is out-of-date.
What languages/technologies should i look into and which ones are required the most on the job market?
Any help will be appreciated and rewarded.

What is the simplest way to schedule a php script to run once a day? Basically a cron job. However most implementations i find are overly complicated and deep for such a simple thing, especially when trying to get it working with whatever framework (session and security handling mostly). I just want it to do like 5 lines of code once a day (cant be triggered by visitor, must be 100% reliable).

Can i write my own scheduler? Halp

Use Cron?

Would still appreciate some help with this one, please.

How do I do web development without wanting to fucking kill myself?

Do something you would actually need. Or your own copy of some basic CRUD like blog or instagram.

Which of the learning material in the op is recommended personally? All of them are basically the same from what I see but a few of them do different things or have more resources than others.

Wouldn't the CMS I made already qualify as that? That was full of CRUD.

Rewriting the function was something I needed, more or less. Same could be said about the Steam app I'm almost done with.

see
>How to get started
youtu.be/sBzRwzY7G-k - "2016/2017 MUST-KNOW WEB DEVELOPMENT TECH - Watch this if you want to be a web developer "

now let's have that reward. Just make the check out to Anonymous.

What's complicated about cron?
Read this for some simple instructions on setting up a cron job: askubuntu.com/questions/2368/how-do-i-set-up-a-cron-job

>Any suggestions as to what else should I be doing?
Always be practicing on your own. Make stuff. Try out new things that seem interesting. Here are some ideas:
- Learn you a Haskell. Functional programming is good to know.
- Learn you a Go (golang), a sanic speed compiled language with good support for concurrency. Good for backends.
- Install gentoo (i.e. git gud with linux.) If you go into backend dev, you'll most likely be balls-deep in linux for your entire career.
- Learn how to use Docker because containers are neat and very useful.
- Learn design. It's not magic, and it will help you in your career not to be completely blind to that shit. Plus, frontend people will like you more. Maybe you can bang some hot SJW hipster bitches.
- Learn JS. For the moment at least, it's the Lingua Franca of the web. Maybe one day it'll be replaced by something memeier but you'll be using it a lot for the next decade at least.

>how "required" is bachelors in IT for back-end atm?
Varies. Some companies will trash your resume immediately if you don't have a degree. Some want one but don't care if it's in IT. Some don't give a shit at all. Some do give a shit but will let it slide if you get a reference and/or impress them with some projects.

Two years ago I started working parttime as a webdev, without only a codecademy understanding on how webdev works. I learnt most of my stuff there.

I'm making 13.5 per hour, my coworkers make 15 per hour. They had more experience when they started.

Is it wrong to ask for even 15 bucks?

Cheers.

I did web design for a year so it's not like I don't know anything and JS was a part of my web development course. My last project is also 95% JS so I guess I'm gonna check out golang or Docker.

>web dev
>sub 15/hr

fug I can get a 13.5 an hour job right now full time working at amazon. Pls tell me this guy is getting scammed.

Also ask for a raise and if they don't but you still want a raise you just have to look for a new job and ask for the starting to be that raise amount. With any job leaving your current job for the exact same thing at another company is always a good way to get a raise. You have experience now it seems anyway. But your pay is really scaring me but I assume it's because of your understanding of web dev. Did you just complete all of code academy and then applied for a job and stopped learning afterwards? What is the title of your job anyway?

Hey /dpt/,
I made a small game in Python and I wanted to give it to a friend to play it. It's just for fun and filled with inside jokes.
I don't want him to see the source code though, I know it's nothing special and it only took me a couple hours to create it but I don't want him to judge my style.

So, is there any way to compile Python files making it into an executable or something, making it impossible for him to read the source code?

Wait, this isn't /dpt/... sorry, I was just looking in the catalog for dpt and this was the first result.

most of them are basically the same, yeah, just a matter of taste. Codewars teaches no theory, it's just tons and tons of coding exercises organized into difficulty level and arranged thematically. It's great to practice your shit on; from my experience if you just follow those online courses you get to a point where you understand everything, but you can't code anything. Codewars gives you the needed practice.

and as for the 'free programming books", just go here gen.lib.rus.ec and download any fucking book you want.

user who wrote the latest iteration of the OP here. They're all pretty good for different things. In particular:

- Codecademy is good for people just starting who need a primer on basic language constructs and syntax. It teaches you the "grammer" you need so that you can move on to more complex comcepts.

- The github book listing is good for people who learn best from a book. There are also plenty of other good listings, in particular all of the "Awesome" tagged github repos.

- Odin does a good job of explaining basic conceptual things. They also have a lot of links to good external resources. Ruby/Rails is their backend of choice.

- FCC is roughly equivalent to Odin, but with more of a focus on interactivity and projects (and Node instead of Rails). They also have a pretty good community following.

- MDN (developer.mozilla.org) is hands-down the best source for HTML/CSS/JS documentation. (JS was created by the company that would become Mozilla so that makes sense, I guess).

- Codewars takes kind of a gamification approach. You earn points for solving increasingly difficult programming challenges. It's particularly good for people who like to learn very independantly because it doesn't directly teach anything, it just hands you a problem and you have to figure out the solution however you can. It's also more intermediate-level. Don't start with it, go learn the basics somewhere else first.

- The youtube channels are good for people who prefer to have something verbally explained to them. (my personal preference). Sometimes you also pick up some tangentially-related info about the industry that's good to know. As a side note, I was considering putting Eli the Computer Guy on the list, but a lot of what he says is outdated or just bullshit, but there are some good industry insider gems in there.

IMHO it takes a good mix of different things to give you a well-rounded knowlege base. Try different ones, and see what clicks for you.

>Two years ago I started working parttime as a webdev

man, there's a bunch of us Neets here trying to make the same jump you made. We want info, details. Where/how did you apply, did you lie on your CV, how hard it was at first, anything useful, we're starving over here man.

Thanks.

And no, it's not wrong, go get that money, it's yours.

>I'm making 13.5 per hour, my coworkers make 15 per hour.

That sounds like sweatshop wages. Skill yourself up and start looking for a job that respects you and the profession by paying the market rate. You'll make a lot more in Si Valley or NYC areas, (but with a higher cost of living.) If you'd rather stay there for the time-being, definitely ask for a raise. Protip: management doesn't give a shit about what you "deserve" especially if they're paying you slave wages. Sell it to them with the 'value you add to the company' angle. I would honestly look for a new job though, especially with 2yrs of exp.

lol

And you can use py2exe for windows or just compile it to bytecode. (Easy enough for someone to get the source code back out if they're determined though.) You can also try to obfuscate it with unhelpful variable/function names and dummy code. If you really need it to be hidden, use something other than python.

I'm a webdev making 32.50 an hour (could make more by jumping, but my current job is extremely cushy). Started about a year and a half ago. I'm surprised that a webdev is being paid so low, especially after 2 years. With 2 years under your belt, you could jump companies and easily ask for 50-60k.

How and where do you apply? Shotgun your resume on Craigslist. Ignore their requirements. They list a lot more shit then they actually use.

Lie on your CV? If you have no companies under your belt, then yes. Just list 1 year experience at some company. If they ask, just say it recently closed down or something.

Was it hard at first? In my case, no. I thought it was going to be a lot harder than I expected, but on my first day, I picked up their code and started deving pretty much right away. Don't need no 2 week training bullshit.

It's just that about everything at that job is perfect but the legacy codebase. I can work mostly whenever I want, my coworkers are pretty cool and my boss understands the stuff we're doing (he also studied computer science).

>Did you just complete all of code academy and then applied for a job and stopped learning afterwards?

I didn't stop learning. During the two years, I built a small portfolio with a few pretty nice pages and learned a shitton of stuff.

Title? Something like "parttime webdev who also studies next to work". Working student maybe?

>Where/how did you apply

Europe, onlineshop, they posted on facebook about having some jobs open, so I asked if they had anything for a student. I first applied for product development, but my boss (fortunately) told me he rather have me for webdev.

>did you lie on your CV
Nope. I mentioned about everything I ever worked with and emphazised on the "I learn new stuff by building shit in my freetime".

>how hard it was at first
Well, it was interesting, so not too hard. I didn't have any PHP experience, so I had two months of bootcamp, I guess, where I did ~8 hours a day for peanuts while learning a ton of stuff.

>anything useful
I dunno what I can tell you here, I just asked if they needed someone and they did, so I applied. Maybe I've been lucky here.

I'm a student, working parttime, without prior experience. Is that really that bad?

>Si Valley or NYC areas
I'm in Europe

>management doesn't give a shit about what you "deserve"
I'm pretty sure my boss is fair. He's one of the young ones and pretty casual. From time to time some people at work, including him, meet up playing MtG. It's pretty chill, and I don't think he intends to pay slave wages, if you consider it the case.

>especially with 2yrs of exp
But it's just parttime experience.. I did ~15 hours a week, not the whole 40.

>32.50
Are you fucking kidding me?

Thanks a lot, this will really help me out and I think this is the correct answer, Btw in case anyone was wondering I am trying to do a game of life and that's why I need the cells to change state (alive or dead) and at the same time keep track of the other cells around them, each being "unique". Let's see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Nope, but I see you're in Europe, so 13.50 is like 20 US, so it's not as bad as I was suspecting.

>Are you fucking kidding me?

Yeah, wages over in the ol' US of A are fucking ridiculous. Now I really understand the "europoor" meme. I'm tempted to apply to jobs in the US but I have the suspicion that getting an H1 visa is almost impossible, they just give those to actual Pajeets from India.

But hey, 13.50 in Europe is not bad, I guess. Where exactly do you live?

In Javascript: the Good Parts Crockford talks about functional inheritance, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere. Is it a relic of older versions of JS with fewer features?

Germany.

I mean, I'm pretty sure it's more than my previous classmates get, and afaik it goes the same for the current ones.

did you forget about brexit. It's more about 15 dollars.

Feels good being an ameriggan.

Can anyone point me to a good beginner Java Spring tutorial? I know the syntax, but it's been a while since I've done any Java programming.

senpai both links have the same code with the forceUpdate

>Is that really that bad?
>I'm in Europe
You mentioned dollars in your other post so I assumed you were in the states. $13.50 USD in most of freedomland is slightly above frycook wages and only barely enough to live on. In Europe the cost of living varies quite a bit so it might be decent for that experience level where you live. Find out what other companies in your area are paying to compare.

And once you get a bit more experience, it's certainly doable to move to murica on an H1B if that's something you want to do. We're frothing at the mouth for skilled tech workers.

>I'm pretty sure my boss is fair.
I'm sure he's real nice, but that doesn't mean he's your friend. You're a cog in the machine, and he has an incentive to keep the upkeep cost on that cog low and the output high. If you don't ask, you don't get.

Anyway, what I meant was that when a lot of people ask for raises, they frame it as a "I have three kids to feed and a mountain of student loan debt, please pay me more" thing. They aren't a charity, and they aren't going to give you more money because they feel sorry for you.

What looks better is if you present yourself as a useful and valuable asset that's worth a lot to the company. (And probably don't mention it out loud, but there's also the subtext that you have valuable skills, and those skills would also be valuable at some other company that pays more.)

>But it's just parttime experience
So what? The person looking at your resume doesn't have to know that, and probably doesn't give a shit. I have Rails listed on my resume and I've only played around with it a bit. If asked, I won't lie about the amount of experience, of course, but by then I already have my foot in the door anyway. What's important is that I have a good understanding of the problem domain that Rails and other frameworks attempt to solve. (I also have a good understanding that both the Ruby language and Ruby devs are irritating as fuck, which is valuable to know.)

I can't land a job.

Maybe I should just say I'm a trans-female or whatever. Would that fit their diversity quota?

What is your experience
What is your area
how many places have you applied to

Hey Cred Forums any hints on finding remote positions?
I'm good with JS(jQuery, JSON, Angular) PHP, Python, HTML, CSS.
I've been trying to find a remote full-time job for over a month now.
What am I doing wrong?

It's just my portfolio.

I know it has to be more impressive which is why I'm working on that now. Every project I've ever had is going live and being styled with purecss.

>practically guaranteed

user...

Nothing. Landing a remote job is hard, because most companies want someone who can show up to meetings and stuff.

It's much easier to land a job where you show up, then request remote privileges later.

>All the good design apps like Sketch are OSX only.

Any way around this, anons? Or should I just get a VM?

How would one ease into that?

how are you looking for these? I just type different languages + "remote" and there's tons of offers. Most are not 100% remote though, they specify either "2 to 3 days per week remote available" or simply say "remote available". Some even say "remote in the UK".

I'd say refine your search, the jobs are there. I mean, have you gotten any interviews or anything?

No idea. I still haven't requested remote privileges where I work.

If they're gonna hire a remote worker, they might as well hire a Pajeet. So it's best you show up.

Anyone any good at web scraping/bs4 parsing?

CVSS Base Score
10.0 (CVSS2#AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C)

This is the code I would like to scrape - I am looking to find the headers which have CVSS Base Score in them, and then - grab the Base Score Values. I solved this problem by basically iterating through all the spans and checking if it is in span.get_text(), then regexing the score.

That solution was very hard-coded and quite shite basically (although it worked).

Can anyone have a look at the HTML and tell me a few good ways to access the span a few elements after the header?

I tried this import urllib2
from bs4 import BeautifulSoup

url = "static.tenable.com/documentation/reports/html/Windows_2000_Network_Scan_w_Remediations.html"
resp = urllib2.urlopen(url)
soup = BeautifulSoup(resp, "html.parser")
soup.prettify()
all_headers = soup.find_all("h2", class_="classh1")
for header in all_headers:
if "CVSS Base Score" in header.get_text():
print header.next_element.next_element.next_element

But this crashes and pastes whitespace.

I needed a couple more additional next_elements
Anyway to tidy up the repeated text, like next_element(5) or something?

You didn't answer any of the questions. The third one is the most important. If you've only applied to 3 or 5 or 10 jobs, that's not a lot. Go apply to more. Search craigslist and all the popular job listing sites and apply to everything that's even remotely close to relevant. Even if you aren't qualified for that position, they may have something else in mind that they haven't listed yet that you'd be good for.

On the other hand if you've already applied to dozens or hundreds of jobs and haven't gotten a single interview, the problem is with you. You need to take a hard look at your resume and think about what might be turning them off and/or what you can improve.

Then, take a look at your online presence. Do you have a nice looking portfolio website? It's certainly not mandatory, but it does look good. Also consider that one of the first things HR does after looking at your resume is google your name. Hopefully they don't find anything bad. Also, it's worth mentioning that if a google search or background check reveals that you've been charged with embezzlement or CP or something, practically no one will hire you anywhere.

Finally, look for web dev meetup groups in your area. They're great for networking and picking up new skills, both of which will boost your chances.

bro 4 real

why is there no typing in javascript like wtf

i was wondering why my number input returned a ridiculous number when i add 1 to it and it turns out, not only is it a string, string + int in javascript is actually concatenating strings like wtf hombre

Not that user but If I make ask what is good on the certs threads?

Also at what point in javascript would one be ready to find an entry level job? Is there a particular point?

also, for no reason, it turns that string into an int when you pass it to a for loop??????

Answer this question faggots

>string + int in javascript is actually concatenating strings like wtf hombre
What the fuck do you expect it to do?

throw a warning obviously

>What the fuck do you expect it to do?

cast them both as a single float and give me the square root of it in binary

>what is good on the certs threads?

tons of people there working in the industry and willing to give accurate info. Asking anything on /dpt/ is a waste of time; people tend to be pretty helpful here on /wdg/, and they are even more so on the certs thread.

>Also at what point in javascript would one be ready to find an entry level job? Is there a particular point?

Nah, it depends on how good you are at bullshitting, how confident you show yourself even with the limited tools you may have, and how dumb/desperate the people hiring you are.

Look at the ads and make sure you know at least a bit about everything they're asking, and that you know where to look for help regarding those subjects. If you're able to get a shitty website going, you're probably ready. If you're still going through level 3 on codeacademy, give it some more time. Just be sure that there's a lot of people way less qualified than you somewhere out there getting paid to do the shit they do.

JS uses duck typing. In ambiguous situations, it tries to coerce objects to one type or another as best it can.

If people like you didn't try to do retarded shit like putting strings in for loops there wouldn't be an issue.

so test for it with typeof and throw one then.

lmao

the value is coming from a form where i specified it to be a number, why would i anybody think that this NUMBER is actually just a STRING DUDE

no sane person coming from anywhere that's not webdev is ever going to believe that this NUMBER TYPE is actually a string because that's not how EVERY SINGLE OTHER LANGUAGE WORKS

>waaah why doesn't this language hold my hand every time I try to do something retarded
>waaaaaaaaaah parseInt() is too complicated for me so javascript sucks

we know, we've heard it a million times

go cry about it on reddit or something

so, the language doing a ton of work to automatically assign types to things isn't handholding, handholding is when you have to assign types yourself

k then

im a noob, how do I get whats on pic related? im using python, its not on the html source that I get

>the value is coming from a form
then why the fuck aren't you validating it. IT rule #1 is never trust the user. That goes for everything, not just web dev.

Secondly, using just changes the type of input box that gets displayed. Under the hood, it's exactly the same as someone typing in a number into a normal text input which would be a string. In fact, that's exactly what it will fall back to if a user is looking at the form with an old browser. That's HTML 101 shit. If you were making an app with a strongly typed language, you'd still need to coerce it. The only difference is you'd be bitching about it on /dpt/ instead of here.

Anyone know how to set up a url in django so that it can pass optional arguments?

Cool thanks for the info man, I really appreciate it.

I've been thinking about an idea for a project; roll with me here.

An interactive Task List/To-Do List where multiple people (most likely working in a similar work setting, office, or on the same projects) and add and remove items from the list allowing them to keep track of their overall progress individually and collectively.

Does something like this already exist?

Yes.

more than once

Sorry, been out drinking.
I can't recall mentioning dollars, but I see how that might cause some misunderstandings.
Not going to move to America though.

>cog low and the output high.
I guess you are right there, I'll just have to compare my current situation to other companies in the area.

>have my foot in the door anyway
Good point you have there.

Yes, there are tons of things like that

trello
kanboard
jira
asana
basecamp

...etc.
Don't let that stop you though, there are so many different methodologies and approaches that there's always room for another task management app that does things differently.

>its not on the html source that I get
that means it was added via javascript

>how do I get whats on pic related?
"get"?

im learning to webscrape, if I right click and save the page I get the whole thing with the javascript already executed, but I wanted to do it by code obviously

I plan to do the meetup groups.

I have applied to about 15 places, but I have also went directly to recruiters with my resume.

3 different gigantic recruitment agencies in my state. Zero of them have contacted me.

The 1 job that returned an email wanted to see my portfolio. They broke contact when I showed it to them, which is funny because it was more technologically advanced than their website; just uglier.

I'm not full-stack everything because I should know a back-end dev needs to have design experience like some bearded tweenie fruitcake.

what's the goal of the scraping? data? if so the data is either already somewhere in the html or loaded via additional requests which you can also run from your scripts. If you actually want to capture the HTML as a browser would render it, then you'll either have to script a browser or run something that emulates browser behavior well enough (there's some node.js stuff that does that i think)

TypeScript is nice. Flow too.

way easier
css: box-sizing: border-box

Designbro here, you could find some design classes at your local university. For a simple crash course I'd honestly recommend reading some of Google's material design documentation and philosophy. Design is honestly the most fun and interesting part of webdev to me, backend drives me nuts but I do everything anyway.

Learn about typography and type hierarchy, that's arguably the most important hurdle of hopping into design in my opinion. Stick to simple grids, make sure your designs are consistent with themselves without becoming boring. You could look at some sites on awwwards for inspiration on design elements.

Design is a puzzle as much as anything else in webdev and can have very logical solutions. It's all decision-making though. Also study things outside the realm of web design, you'll learn a whole lot there too. Consider texture, type specimen layouts, print and package design, book and magazine layouts, etc. You'll see how good designs are laid out logically and pick up on some of the common design elements that way, which you can bring into design in creative ways instead of just copying the latest fad to a "T."

Bone up on both UI and UX for sure. There's a shitload of resources out there just a google search away. I got into the design side of things because aesthetics are more interesting to me than backend, it can be a ton of fun and you'll feel like a genuine artist once you get pretty decent at it.

Definitely do it for fun, but you can do freelance work on the side too, especially if you do wordpress or anything like that. You could be making nearly $1k/hr for random wordpress clients, grabbing a good theme and doing light customization on it. It's easy money and you don't even have to be terribly great at it either.

>I have applied to about 15 places

That's...not a lot. Like at all. When you've applied to 150 places and haven't heard back, you might have a problem.

>3 different gigantic recruitment agencies in my state. Zero of them have contacted me.
But you've contacted them, right?

>The 1 job that returned an email wanted to see my portfolio.
One response in 15 tries is actually not a bad ratio.

>They broke contact when I showed it to them, which is funny because it was more technologically advanced than their website; just uglier.
>I'm not full-stack everything because I should know a back-end dev needs to have design experience like some bearded tweenie fruitcake.

You sure it wasn't because of your seething contempt and superiority complex? Personality is just as important as technical skill. No one wants to work with a douche.

>You could be making nearly $1k/hr for random wordpress clients

You can make good money, but usually not quite that good. $1k/hr is like accounting error good.

how would I do these aditional requests?

>You can make good money, but usually not quite that good. $1k/hr is like accounting error good.
Nah all you have to do is install a good theme on wordpress, throw all their copy into the site, customize the theme a little like adding in their images and stuff like that. Charge $1500+ per site, finish in an hour or two. If you can get a name for yourself and especially with word of mouth, you can really make some excellent money extremely quickly.

check what the browser does (it's listed as XHR in the network tab), then do it with some http api in python

Good typography?

?

Damn, thanks. I wanted to make something really unique but oh well, I'll make it anyway.

I feel like I shouldn't be learning Angular 2 even though I'm doing it. And I don't want to learn Angular 1 because it'll be useless soon, but most job postings for front end developers I've seen ask for Angular 1.

What's the quickest way one could do this with no shame?

>with no shame
I never said it wasn't shameful.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but having done freelance off and on for a while:

1. You will almost never have a client that gives you carte blanche to just make a website for them without a shitload of input and feedback. It would be fantastic if they did, but they always want to be involved in some way.

2. You will almost never have things go that smoothly. Sometimes you make a typo and have to track it down. Sometimes the server is configured weird and you need to fix it. Sometimes it doesn't get spooled up properly and you need to either ssh in and fix it yourself or sit on hold with tech support to get them to fix it. Sometimes the client has an ancient MS server they bought for 10 grand back when physical servers were a thing and because of the sunk cost fallacy they insist on you using it instead of a $50/yr shared hosting plan. Sometimes your internet will go down. Sometimes you get some loud-ass birds outside your window or whatever and you can't concentrate. Point is, you'll always have snags.

3. You have to account for non-billable hours. When you're out trying to snag clients, you aren't getting paid, but you're still "on the clock". The $1500 check doesn't just cover the 2 hours(more like 4 at least) you spent working on the site, it also has to cover the 8-16 hours it took you to get to that point.

I know you guys love to say to just apply to jobs regardless of what they list for the required experience. But 90% of these fucking listings have stuff listed I've not even begun learning, some of it I've not even heard of. Surely they can't expect an entry level applicant to know 7 languages and 5 frameworks right?

I've looked in multiple cities, just to look not applying or anything. I've seen two listings that had some honest stuff like: html, css, js, bootstrap, experience with any cms.

Everything else listed like 13 different skills as "requirements" am I honestly expected to know this much? I know HR loves to fluff shit up but this is ridiculous. I know they put this stuff on there to weed people out, am I supposed to apply to all of them?

How do I know a bullshit listing from a real one? It's bad enough not knowing who you're giving information to or dealing with a 45 minute application with some shit eating company just to get it trashed because they have unrealistic expectations.

I'm in a small town so I pretty much will have to move. Most companies dont even want to fuck with someone who is not local just cause.

/rant

What do /wdg/?

do you pretend to take a lot of time, or simply give them the URL and credentials after you finish?
also, how do you market yourself? spam a lot, live in the rich party of the city, post in well known websites or something?

>No one wants to work with a douche.
Reddit Life Pro Tip for you.
People don't talk in real life like they do on the Internet.

>But you've contacted them, right?
Yes. Several times. I email them my resume whenever there is an update too.

Is the Angular2 site actually updated? Been following a video series not even 3 months old and some things are diferent from the official angular.io site quickstart and basics.

Exactly I use this place to vent.

What's the quickest way one could do that without caring about shame?

HR don't understand even a fraction of the keywords they're using in applications, you could have worked alongside Carmack as his intern coding gravitational effects of fast moving rockets, HR would still just see your name and then start imagining your ethnicity.

This is why we say just keep applying, because it's literally a luck game based on who's at the other end reading your resume. The young, female HR fresh from a humanities degree is going to throw out every resume with a white male name despite who you are. The senior who realised actually coding isn't for him and that he'd rather go into recruitment is much rarer, but he'll understand the effort you went through when you started delving into C to keep your project cross platform.

tldr HR are literally the worst people ever 90% of the time. They are not judging you meritocratically, they're not capable of that. If you're just realising now that most HR shouldn't actually work as HR and deserve the unemployment they expect of white men, congratulations you've taken the first step into understanding why unemployment is so high for new graduates.

>inb4 no degree
I know you're American, but plenty of American cities are like mine. Dunno where you're applying, but no one hires anyone without a degree unless they fit a diversity role, then it's all virtue signalling from there to push that resume to middle management.

Daily reminder that all web developers are worthless Pajeets.

HOW CAN I IN NODE.JS???

you install the "echo" package in npm

Or virtually anyone that wants a job and to prove experience without having a job thus defeating the vicious cycle.

>when everyone is either too young to be applying for jobs or too old not to have decent job security
Gen X and people still studying, please stop pretending you understand.

You don't.

If you want to build HTML at runtime, use reactjs. Then you have this problem, loads of beautiful HTML that's built respectively of whatever data was in the backend, but how are you going to get that to the user?

ejs and

>Or virtually anyone that wants a job and to prove experience without having a job thus defeating the vicious cycle.

Ok, Pajeet.

Too much work. Just need to echo informations into divs. Javascript, this is not a backend language. Better keep it on the frontend instead. :^(

Then don't use node, faggot

Do most people here use autosave in their editor config? Hitting ctrl-s every time I type something in an editor pane gets old.

I've had bad experiences with autosaving in any application. It tend to crash the program

Why javascript shills get so buttmad? Javascript, this is a language only meant for frontend effects. Using this for server side is a large mistake. Time to go back to school to learn about PHP lad

Hmmm I do hate the fuck out of HR, mainly from my run in with the retards when I was doing tech support. They had no fucking clue what they were even asking.

I do have a degree but I definitely fucked up on that end I went with a web design degree because I thought it might fast track me into the field, now it turns out the schools program was grossly inadequate and I walked away with a piece of paper and knowing jack shit and it was only a 2 year degree... So you were half right.

On the front of diversity. I have an odd last name, one might say jewish sounding (not jewish). I know that Jewish fellas will sometimes mark "other" on their applications if they think it will get them the job. It's a potential advantage I've never considered taking advantage of until recently. The insanity of getting an entry level position in this industry is enough to make a liar of an honest man. I'm considering pulling the fake jew card.

Why are you even using node if that's how you feel? I don't even use PHP or Node, I use Java and .NET

Java and .NET?? How even can you do a web developments with COMPILED languages. Also I thought C# was what they use as a java in .NET

MANY CONFUSE

Mods please ban the shitposter.

>java

public final static Comparable getComparableObjectUsingAlotOfCode(Iterable myIterableObject, Serializable myCaptainCrunch, ....

/roasted

If you're only executing code from the front end and only at the backend from some api, getting your page properly indexed is harder. You can't just append backend data after the page is loaded, or else any search engine bot will simply see what was there before appending.

To do it right, your entire page as well as the backend data needs to reach your client immediately after they land on the page. For this, I could only imagine PHP or reactjs working, sometimes a combination of both because fuck building a whole page in reactjs including the headers.

Indians are objectively not having a difficult time finding jobs in the west, this is how I know you don't know shit about the tech industry. Indians are the only ones getting hired for junior positions, there's a joke that to start you have to do 5 years development in India, but that's a joke because the reality is HR simply refuse to pass white male resumes along and Indians are people of colour so they're better.

>They had no fucking clue
Hole in one why most HR shouldn't have jobs. STEM HR honestly should be those hordes of graduates who scraped by and only meagerly understand the industry, enough to get who sucks and who doesn't. Instead, it's sociology and humanities and *studies degree holders because where else are all these courageous womyn meant to work?

Lastly, there is no Jew card. Unless the HR is a Jew, Jews will be seen as "privileged" by these types. If they are a Jew, they'll know pretty quickly you're not. I'm in a similar position, I have olive skin and a Germanic (but not Jewish) surname.

The hierarchy here is woman > poor minority > not always poor minority > white man

None of the technologies he listed are compiled languages. Bytecode isn't machine code. Regardless, fastcgi for C++ is probably the best way to go if you expect millions of hits a second or want a backend that laughs at that kid who installed DDoS zombies on all his mates computers.

Indians are objectively not having a difficult time finding jobs in the west, this is how I know you don't know shit about the tech industry. Indians are the only ones getting hired for junior positions, there's a joke that to start you have to do 5 years development in India, but that's a joke because the reality is HR simply refuse to pass white male resumes along and Indians are people of colour so they're better.

Ok Pajeet.

>Also, how "required" is bachelors in IT for back-end atm? Asking cos I applied for front-end job and their answer was "lol no bachelors, kay bb".

If you can prove that you know what you're doing then nobody actually cares if you have a formal education. I'm a high school drop out, I don't even list education on my resume, and I'm making $80k/yr right now.

>he thinks viewing page source in developer tools is hacking

How old are you?

lol older than you faggot n00b :) go back to minecraft kiddie, the adults are busy hacking here.

I'm doing the freecodecamp course, how would you make this better

We'll pass you an array of two numbers. Return the sum of those two numbers and all numbers between them.

The lowest number will not always come first.

function sumAll(arr) {
var min = Math.min(...arr);
var max = Math.max(...arr);
var sumArr = [];
while(min a + b);
}

sumAll([1, 4]);

If you know the array is always 2 numbers, can't you just compare the value of the first value to the second.

Rejoice.

It will be replaced by Angular 3 and not backwards compatible.

We have at least a few years until that happens. Angular 1 was released in 2010.

Yes. I will build my 20-year company on tech that goes obsolete in 5 years. Yay.

I don't know if the min will always come first. I could just use an if but the exercise linked to the MDN of those two math functions, guess they wanted me to use them.

What the fuck is up with Google? Fucking Angular 2 documentation is wrong and outdated as shit. I can't believe how incompetent they are.

thanks i'll try

Angular is not really maintained by google, just some fags. :\

I would use for instead while and calculate sum inside loop instead of using reduce. Also quite sure there is formula for calculating that sum directly.

How do I make this div element expand/contract to meet text accordingly?

Please give me a pointer on this.

Inline maybe?

Is 28 yo too old to find an entry-level job in web dev (front end)?
I started freelancing in 2012 but now I need to find a full time job
pls help

could also apply at small startups who cant afford to waste money on recruiters, you may be assessed by the CTO or other coder

>tfw keep fucking up in the journey for getting a EE degree

Welp I'm just going join you guys and learn to be a web dev today. I'm a minority so I should be fine right?

something like
function sumAll(arr) {
arr.sort()
var min = arr[0]
var max = arr[1]
var n = max - min + 1
return n * (min + max) / 2
}

no need to loop through or create intermediary arrays

no not if youre good at it

AngularJS 2.0 + TypeScript on Visual Studio Community/Code
It's fast to develop, easy to debug and fucking good.

Anything else you'd like to share?

sus dudes

I jsut used AWS to setup a wordpress site, and I have a few questions.

>is this the cheapest/least expensive hosting alternative for a startup site? what else should I be looking at?

>thinking of buying a .net domain. Where do I do it? looks like route53 will charge me extra if I buy it from there. Where should I do it?

thanks in advance, have a pepe

>aws
>cheap
Yea, no. I would suggest to keep looking around.

what free/very cheap hosting can you reccommend?

Go with namecheap and the cheapest shared hosting plan available. You can also buy the domain there.

Why the amount of decent hobbyist open-source web apps is so small? I always thought that web development market is very popular but it's hard to find a decent alternative to a proprietary web service, in contrary to desktop applications.

In my experience, it's quite the opposite. Open source desktop applications are almost non-existent, but open-source self-hosted alternatives to known big "server applications" are everywhere
>github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted

I got Hostinger, it looks neat. Now I'm off to get a domain. Cheers

flask or django?

I liked more the full fledged Visual Studio. It kicks ass debugging Cordova,

Want to find jobs with other people working as a group? Django
Want to manage your application any way you want and know exactly what's your application using? Flask

Going to the bookstore.

Thinking about picking up a book on node. Wondering if there will be a book on socket.io or not.

Is MEAN a fun stack?

Any recommended books? I already know JS so it doesn't have to pretend I'm stupid.

How do you search for useful libraries for a project? How do you know what is what you want to search for in the first place?

(Reposting my question from /dpt/. I've never heard about this thread until today, so hello everyone :)

Since Angular 2 has finally left beta stage I have a hard time deciding whether I should use it in next project. I believe that React+Redux+Rx is superior, but opinionated framework should induce less decision fatigue and be easier to support in the long run.
Can anyone provide a compelling argument why should I switch to Angular 2/stay with React?

Programming books are almost always shit. Especially JS stuff. It moves so fast that any book you find will almost certainly be outdated. Websockets are easy as fuck anyway.

Is anything you just said answering any of my questions?

The answer is no.

First you need to identify a problem you have and say, "damn, I wonder if someone already did this already."

500 python books. 500 js books. 1 node book from 2012.

>tfw everyone keeps getting on my shit for dropping out of college to pursue web dev through code cademy

Don't those idiots know I'm going to be making 80k as soon as I'm done for free? Feels good.

Get the job first, dummy.

Reading a first aid book doesnt put me in line to make a surgeon salary.

What the actual fuck is that editor?

Jesus I didn't realize there was so much fucking entitlement in people. You're the second asshole in this thread that said something simular.

>falling for this shit

>all these coding initiatives for women and black people.
Also native americans cause we need more indians in this field apparently.

You know the mexicans dont get shit for programs and we took like texas from them or something. Thats how you know I don't have a CS degree because I dont know the prerequisite of US History.

is there an IDE for javascript with a nice debugging system? Something like Visual studio has?

Because it's retarded. It's like you're dropping out of university to go to ITT Tech because they say that they've placed people in 100k jobs right after they graduate.

The chrome console is pretty good, but if you need one for something like NodeJS, then I have no clue.

So i am learning php and i created simple app that convert-compress video file to webm.
Supported formats are webm and mp4.
Can someone test it? pls no hacking anons :(

>vps is cheap with 1core processor so it will be slow :(

>code cademy
codecademy sucks dick, they don't "teach" you anything, they simply state facts and expect you to memorize them

I feel like you could say that about almost anything that is a viable way to learn something

not really, some will give you useful tips, will teach you techniques, will explain why those techniques are helpful when compared to other ones, etc.
codecademy is like reading the reference manuals with a little bit of guidance and some eye candy. you could do that by yourself, after finding a good guide or something.

It took like 6 minutes for a 1MB file.

It seems to have issues working with the same file twice unless I rename it. You are probably aware of that.

I deleted all files from upload folder and after sec i saw you aploaded wdg video.
Hm, for me 3 mega video is uploaded and compressed in like 1~2 min

Why would 28 be too old? Do companies actually go out of their way to hire dipshit entitled millennials?

Appreciate the perspective. Do you know of any more valuable resources for web dev?

He thinks entry-level means intern.

To that other dude, I'm 27 and looking for entry-level too.

Good luck. Make that portfolio really fucking amazing or everyone will ignore you.

Learn to green text you fucking mong.

It seemed to go faster the when I was doing compression lvl 5. Took about 3 minutes.

Compression lvl 1 took at least twice that. I just assumed the server was busy with someone else's video.

Anyone have the balls to post their portfolios?

Really want to see what a self taught person can do but interested in all portfolios. Pls don't let me find out you guys are a bunch of no devs.

i was compressing too
here you can see me uploading and compressing 3.2mb video

>be back-end
expected to have
>a) Great design skills. A giant sexy parallax portfolio with animate.css images on jquery anchors and great font choice
>b) Autism-level github profile with a wall of green and 10k projects that are all popular.

I hate github, so I learned front-end everything. I don't even know what that makes me anymore. I'm front-end and back-end fullstack. Like ultrastack or some shit.

pls this

Lurk more.

They get posted occasionally. Don't expect anything fantastic. Most have custom layouts that look like a 90's DOS program.

I mean you could always just add another OS onto your computer user.

I feel like that would piss me off more than help me code

hi wdg

im trying to test my web form againts spam.
what kind of tool can i use to flood my web form? i just want it to keep filling out the form and submitting it over and over.

thanks in advance.
i remember seeing some one use some kind of firefox console trick but i dont know

you can use dev tools from browser,
network->edit and resend

thanks!

Hey /wdg/

I have a Bachelors in CE and since I have experience with creating web applications I decided to apply for some jobs. The companies seem interested but here's the problem. Most seem to want knowledge of ASP.NET or some other combination like Java/.NET. I have never used .NET and am now trying to get into it. Anyone have any tips, it looks like a clusterfuck to be honest.

i got 2 more exams till my bachelors :(
2 more mathematics :(

You'll have you bachelors in no time. It will open up new opportunities and at the same time cause anxiety since you wont know what jobs you're qualified for. That's how I feel at least, my bachelors is pretty fresh.

i already work as php dev for a year, but fuck it, im too lazy to finish this 2 exams

>
>
>PHP

honestly, I can't suggest anything for frontend, because I dislike it, but I guess some user ITT can suggest a better guide than codecademy.
anyway, there are lots of MOOCs, and most of them offer some web design/JS/frontend/... course

I'm doing Codewars for javascript. Doing mostly katas 6 and a bit of 5, 7 every now and then. Is it my perception or is every single fucking exercise just string to number/number to string manipulation? There's no variety at all...

Isn't that what coding is, anyway. You're just getting data and passing data.

Hahaha, what is this editor?

what I mean is, they could focus more on the actual algorithm, you know, have you do all kinds of if/else, for loops, crazy math. But most of the stuff is just really simple, only they give you a "lel take this string and return it as numeric" shit with not much internal processing.

github.com/JoelBesada/activate-power-mode

Has anyone here actually launched a website/app that gave you some profit?

>profit
>/wdg/

user...

Lol user, that is like 1 in 10 000 0000

Hey guys, can you point me in the right direction of what I should search for to find learning material?

Right now I have a site template for my art gallery that has a left sidebar, a right sidebar and a body in the middle. Problem is the right sidebar gets cutoff if your resolution isn't big enough. I want the body and it's contents to shrink when the browser window gets smaller. What would i be searching for to educate myself on how to make this happen?

Also, i was curious if there was a way to make a site reposition the sidebars and body if the window became too small? Like auto shift into a mobile friendly theme based on resolution.
If possible, what would i be searching for here as well?

Sorry for the probably novice questions. I'm more of an artist. I have some basic html/css knowledge I'm looking to expand on but for now I'm in a rush to launch my art site to the public and i want it to be as functional as possible.

Thanks.

work with % not px user

Why does everyone hate codecademy here. I've been using it to learn the html/css. I completed their html/css section and now I can basically make website which are glorified business cards. I'm going to learn java script next but I just don't get the hate. Seems like the best one out of the suggested in the op and im someone who didn't know shit beforehand. The hand holding is fucking god tier. I got the section done in just a few days.

Do the people who hate on it do so without ever looking it over or are they some kind of elitist memers?

>tfw im going to go from neet to 60k yearly

@56619880
low quality bait faggot
no (you) for you faggot

do you have autism

>tfw i am a neet who is now making 60k/yr

I didn't go to no code academy crap. I just jumped straight in and Googled my way through everything.

are you retarded? he said codecademy, not A code academy.

>I just jumped straight in and Googled my way through everything.

I'm slowly and painfully learning that choosing a REAL project and doing this is the best way to go.

It's not that great. If you want to learn programming and Javascript, this is an excellent source.

eloquentjavascript.net/

I have a bunch of divs with unique IDs.
How do I display that div when the user hovers over an a href link?

Basically like Cred Forums does when you hover over quotelinks.

I too am a noob and am interested in how to do this

Each anchor link has the id of the div container to highlight stored in the href. So all they do is attach a hover event to the anchor.

Through jQuery, 'cause lazy:

$(".quotelink").on("hover", function() {
var thisId = $(this).attr("href");

$(thisId).addClass("highlight");
});

Then a blur event to remove the class when you unfocus the anchor link.

thank you.

Could you explain this with plain javascript?

I-Is there ageism in the industry?? Like one of the anons above I'm from a tech support background and I got burnt out and was looking to get into Web dev. I'm 33 though and looking for an entry level job. How fucked am I?

It's a bunch of dom traversal crap, but it boils down to:

Bind a mouseover event to each anchor tag. The anchor tag should have an attribute (in Cred Forums's case, in the href) that has the id of the div container it wants to highlight.

On mouseover, it gets the id of the div from the href and changes its class to include the highlight class.

In Cred Forums's case, it detects if the div is in the viewport, also. If it is, then it just adds the highlight class. If it isn't, it does that popover thing by binding the popover div to the body.

On mouseout, it removes the class or removes the popover div.

Okay, I need some help. I am building my personal website (mostly a technical blog) since I thought I should at least try web development a bit. Is sqlite good enough, or should I use something like postgresql or mysql? Sorry for a basic question, I basically have no idea what I am doing.

How does ageism work anyway. Like do they not want old people because they just assume they are going to not know shit about technology and ask where the 'any' key is or something? Don't you just have have to show them your portfolio making it impossible for ageism to exist since you know your shit. What am I missing here.

Why would companies not want comfy old folks who are more mature.

Just learn MySQL and get it over with. Sqlite is meh and you wouldn't use it for anything relatively complex.

bump

I don't know I think a lot of it stems from older people being more set in their ways and not being as willing to learn new things.

I did actually have an interview a week ago where right off the top the person asked me how old I was and it was down hill from there. I'm not saying that there was ageism in effect or not and I don't really care because the place was a massive shithole.

Right now I don't have a portfolio completed and I've still been able to land a few interviews. I should probably get working on that.

Nice. I'm honestly shit at math so I didn't know there was a better way to come up with the result.

i remember buying an url some months ago. if i find it, can use it for my heroku app so my hero apps url isn't my-first-tutorial.herokuapp.com
??

holy shit it does
i'm a web developer now

Guys what are a few of your favorite websites design wise?

Software engineering student trying to learn basic web development reporting in.

So I'm attempting to create a very simple personal webpage, with links to other webpages with simple content. I want to keep things very basic and minimal, so I'm thinking I could have a "box" in the middle of the page, with links to other pages contained in the space of that box.

What would I use for the box? Is CSS useful here? Is there some sort of HTML "element" that I can use? I would like to stick to basic CSS/HTML for now.

Draw what you want

Yes it can be done with just CSS, I thought you meant an actual 3d box or something. It's not really that hard to learn HTML and CSS. A day or two tops.

Don't web developers have books? All resources are online, it seems.

I just wrote an minimalist state manager for use with ReactJS (eventually I hope to abstract away the dependency on ReactJS) and put it on NPM

I'm interested in anyone willing to take a look at it and make suggestions.

npmjs.com/package/minimux

Voila, you have your box. Don't forget to put your favorite things in it.

HTML describes the information on your page. It's a (not so succint) description of "what" you want to tell people

CSS makes things pretty. It's a bit more succinct and describes "how" you tell it to them

JS makes things interactive. It's a whole extra beast and you don't need to worry about it. I only mention it because HTML+CSS+JS are often considered as a bundle when discussing browser technologies.

So CSS would be useful if you don't want your page to look like a professor's research paper from the early 90's. It makes stuff pretty. As you're new to this, I would recommend looking into a CSS framework so that all of the CSS is written for you if you just use the proper class names. Foundation or Bootstrap are two popular ones.

Check out Code Academy or Udemy for good lessons on getting started with web development. Try to avoid anything that mentions JavaScript, Angular, React, Ember, Backbone, etc. All of these aren't necessary for a static site like yours and will only serve to confuse you.

It helps to have a business first and not expect people to pay for an "app" or some kind of web experience. Web shit is a good marketing and sales tool.

Hint: a div box -> ul -> li/(ul -> li)

>if/else/loops
they abstracted all of that you dont need to know a lot of programming anymore to program.

>CSS preprocessors are garbage
No, CSS is garbage. Preprocessors alleviate the problem somewhat

Where my neets at

how close are you to being job ready my fellow neeters

Neets? I thought people here do actual work.

Yea where my neets at who are trying change

NEW BREAD

Atom.