The final laptop thread

Every time I come here, there's a thread up about "what laptop should i buy!?!?" or some shit.
It's infuriating, too, since there's tons of them, all aimed at different markets, and all have some big downsides.

Thinkpads
>+great build quality, brute aesthetic
>+great battery on new ones
>+great keyboard, trackpoint
>+cheap
>-shit screen gamut
>-no more wacom versions on the models with good battery
>+/-business oriented, so some legacy I/O
Macbook
>+great build quality, sleek aesthetic
>+good battery
>+okay keyboard(model dependent), great trackpad
>+basically the only 16:10 laptop anymore
>-expensive for the specs
>+/-macOS
>-no wacom option
>-minimal I/O
>+/-tightly controlled ecosystem, with all the benefits and problems that comes with
Basically everything else
>+good specs for the price
>-crap build quality, breaks in two years

I want to settle it. Post ITT how you rank the importance of features on a laptop. Tier list, ordered list, whatever. Here are mine, which I think most of Cred Forums will agree with. If you know a laptop that meets someone's preferences, post it.

>Complete necessity tier, not ordered
Linux compatibility
good, high-travel keyboard keys
>Everything else tier, ordered by importance
build quality
battery
screen quality, good gamut/IPS/ratio/etc
"enough" I/O, HDMI at the least
hardware wifi switch
trackpad quality
wacom/convertible option

I don't think I forgot about anything. What do you think, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HP-Spectre-13.3_aerial-view-600x337.jpg
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch
priceminister.com/offer/buy/237347418/lenovo-thinkpad-x220-4291.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Important
Battery
Power
Keyboard
1080p+

>Unimportant
Trackpad shit (even the best is 100x orders of magnitude worse than a mouse)
Touchscreen
Build quality meme (I've laptops from 1998-2013, none broken because I'm not a neanderthal that throws them around like a football)

Next laptop will most likely be a Kaby Lake T470 whenever those come out.

>Trackpad shit
IMO if you're using a mouse with a laptop you're doing it wrong. Keyboard-driven is the way to go.
>Build quality meme
I might have over-ranked build quality a bit, yeah.
>Touchscreen
I like a (pen) touchscreen for google translate and the odd photo touchup/drawing in gimp. It's still less important though, yeah

>laptop
>not a 12" macbook retina
It would be a mistake to buy anything else.

Tell me what other laptops can even compete? Razor thin, pcie ssd, best keyboard and trackpad, amazing screen, good performance, fanless, aesthetic as fuck, and less than the price of the average new thinkpad.

thinkpad

now fuck off

Modern laptops are too thin

>lmao thinkpaaaaads
easily the worst business laptops these days

Just Imagine the Hardware you could put into Two and a Half Inches.

I'm not sure about the MacBook build quality. That aluminum is brittle as fuck.

we need more laptops like the t420, but with modern hardware

why is that impossible to find

Before this thread turns into an Apple vs Thinkpad shitfest, can anyone recommend me a laptop (or netbook, 2-in-1, whatever) that's smaller than 10" and capable of web browsing with a couple hundred tabs open at once?

Preferably with a decent screen resolution, 1024x600 is awful to use.

My budget is AU$400 ($US300), mostly been looking on eBay for secondhand stuff.

Doesn't exist. Buy a 12" Macbook or 11" Macbook Air.

Because normies want macs and other brands are too retarded that they will never make a "mac killer" for the sole reason that people buy macs is because of the apple logo.
So they make shitty laptops that look nice instread of laptops that will work nicely.

No.

>look nice instead of work nicely
I work all day on a Macbook Retina. What's it supposedly missing? Thickness doesn't get anything done desu.

If I was buying one today it would be
>Important
Linux
Battery
Screen quality
Easily taken apart or expandable for replacing pastes and shit
USB 3.0
Keyboard
>Unimportant
Trackpad
Everything else

HP Zbook, but prepare your anus for the price, they're more expensive than macs.

Oh, I guess I did forget something in the OP.
12-14 inches is a necessity, the more middling in that range the better.

>Workstation
I just want a shitpost and anime machine what the fuck is this about

I know this is probably bait, but i'll use this opportunity to post these pics of a Macbook i worked on.

Everyone needs to know and understand that these machines are unfit for heterosexual use

did HP start making laptops nowadays, or do they still make portable heaters with some laptop functionality?

>smaller than 10" and not 1024x600
if there are any, that's more than enough to sort through on your own, since every site will return like two results.
The only one I know of is a 10" panasonic moonland-exclusive that goes for like $2k on ebay.

Picture of the "Motherboard"

They could slap a touchscreen and a battery on this thing and call it a phablet, it's actually pretty impressive.

Didn't take any more pics because i was worried i would fuck something up (never worked on one prior) and have to pay 1,300 for a new one.

The funny thing is, since they're basically the only one that has hardware acceleration for intel graphics, it's still one of the fastest laptops for the specs.

>best keyboard
Nigga what?

>and less than the price of the average new thinkpad.
Literally nobody ever advocated for new thinkpads (outside of say the P50)

Samefaggin to add, it's a pity about the keyboard and no HDMI port, 'cause if it wasn't for that I would seriously legitimately get one. Typed from my X220T.

>Typed from my X220T.
But that's not got an HDMI port either...

>>and less than the price of the average new thinkpad.
they're like $700 for a good model if you use the EPP discount, which is actually down right now which sucks.

I know. I had to get a DP-HDMI cable, and yes I was stupid enough to get a full cable for it. shit sucks.

Yeah, I only got to mess around with it for about 4 hours, but it was surprisingly snappy for not having fan.

Whats worse is that the owner bought it for her daughter (a 7th grader!) for school, not knowing that the school "requires" Windows computer. So, my first experience with a Macbook was installing Boot Camp on one :(

The solution is obvious. In true Apple donglepocalypse fashion, you must get a USB-C to Mini-DP adapter. Then, you need a Mini-DP to DP adapter to plug into your DP to HDMI cable.

>Nigga what?
I'm not joking. You should go into the store and try one if you don't believe me.

I already have and it fucking sucks.

Try a Thinkpad keyboard in the next aisle over. Even the new chiclet one is fantastic (other than not having 7th row)

I've got a T60 and T430 too, neither keyboard compares to the Macbook once you're used to the travel and actuation. So light and crisp. It's effortless. Tame those monkey knuckles and you're set.

>this is what mactoddlers actually believe

Yeah, it was a terrible experience. If you're over 6' 160lbs, you'll have the worst time using it. Touchpad's neato though

No.

I do programming and type for hours on end.
Macbook 2016's keyboard is unbearable.

I hate flat keys but I'd still prefer an older Macbook Pro keyboard to that shit.

Soon enough they're just going to make it a fucking haptic touch keyboard.

Believe it or not, low travel is NOT a good thing.

Linux Compatible
High quality trackpad
non-spongy keys
HD display
light-ish weight

I don't really care about anything else. I work with .NET and want something i can enjoy when i come home and want to get away from windows and the .NET environment. I have a POS spare from work that's a dedicated Linux machine but I'd rather just spend the extra cash and have one i enjoy using

>people discussing or valuing trackpads

Have any of you plebs ever tried the trackpoint?

I can't fuckin' go back.

painful to use for long periods.

You literally just described the 2016 Macbook. /s

I've heard great things about the Dell XPS 13/15, also the HP Spectre, which looks really cool.
betanews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/HP-Spectre-13.3_aerial-view-600x337.jpg

Use the Soft Rim cap instead then

I actually wanted to get one of these because I wanted a small fuckin laptop but I really didn't wanna deal with the only one port. I would have been okay with it if it was usb type C and the magsafe connector but no magsafe? Why not? If someone trips on my cord I don't want my tiny ass laptop flying across the room. If it was magsafe+only one usb then it'd be 100% better, its not like I'm doing any crazy work on my macbook so I don't need more than one usb port to be honest, I'd just use my desktop if I needed to get real work done.

So I bought the air instead. Really disappointed that there's no magsafe on the new macbook.

used an HP one for a while, still hurt.
Doesn't hurt on my X201, though. I think there's a problem with the joystick's stiffness.

HP and Dell's trackpoints are shit.

Probably because the Thinkpad one is patented. Though the patent expires this year I believe

>great build quality
>macbook
Fuck no.
>sleek aesthetic
No. It's called "slippery."
>okay keyboard, great trackpad
No and no. I've serviced more trackpads on macbooks that started having random clicks and interference-based issues than any other laptop--even economy ones.

Fucking kill yourself. You're braindead retarded.

>build quality
>meme
Kill yourself. Accidents happen when you're on the move. You probably dock your laptop and never fucking touch it.
Your use case is not the general usecase. You're just a cheap cunt who thinks you need a laptop when you clearly want a desktop.

Well, they certainly put the effort into the build, even if the quality isn't meant to last except until the next model.
That said, I do want to hear an anecdote from a mac user that isn't an idiot with how they handle their hardware.

Buy a good laptop OP. I suggest HP 15 from Amazon.com.

I forgot to mention the size and weight requirements, which are small and light. less 14 in and less 4 lbs, to be precise.

>consumershit
Fuck that. ZBook 15 or fuck off.

>fagbook
>non-spongey keys

I think I'm going to buy a thinkpad e460 from the lenovo website. if I'm just using it for study, some streaming probably throigh hdmi to tv and videos/movies, I wouldn't need the Radon R7 M360 2gb or the 1920x1080 FHD screen would I? trying to cut costs

I take my laptop from work to home and back. It stays in my briefcase while driving. I don't throw it around like a goddamn book bag, and I don't lie on the edge of my bed updating facebook or some shit waiting for someone to walk by and trip over the cord. Just because you're a troglodyte and destroy everything you come in contact with does not make things poorly built.

>I think I'm going to buy a thinkpad e
>e
You have already failed.

no no no, the Macbook 2016. the one with the shitty keyboard.

>HP
Fuck that. Zenbook Pro or fuck off.

This is an utterly useless anecdote without stating what laptops you have owned.

>put effort
It's not about how much you smashed crayons into the paper. It's about what the fucking end product is.
>even if the build quality isn't meant to last
Which makes it bad. That's what makes it bad, you fucking mouthbreather.

whys that?

>still consumershit
Continue to fuck off.

>6 hours battery
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>its overall design
You might as well just get a fucking mac.

>switches that are designed to fail exactly at the 2 year mark

Innovation.

E is the garbage budget line. T or X or fuck off.

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Name another laptop with a 512GB PCIe SSD, 4K screen, 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, and GTX960M for $1400 or less. :^)

This inevitable post is why I wrote the second line on my reply.

>buying a hells package
no

Lenovo Y series is pretty close.

I'm looking for used ones now, I cannot afford a new T or X model. are there any models that are easier to upgrade than others?

I have a y410p. It literally flexes when I lift it up. Plastic everywhere. Though it's probably the most powerful laptop you can get for $600 at the time I bought it.

The ZBP is made the same way MBPs are.

Why would you ever buy a laptop with anything but the lowest ram and drive specs?

>can't name even one

>it stays in my briefcase while driving
Many urbaners do not drive much, instead taking the train, biking, or walking. All of these are at greater risk of bumps and scrapes, or simple usage problems.
You're a fucking retard, and you're blinded by your stupidity.
Choke on cheerios, bub.

>are there any models that are easier to upgrade than others?
T or X.

It's good enough for the ISS.

Who cares. It's ugly.

>taking the train, biking, or walking
>can't even afford a house and a car
Stay poor, peasant.

I got a y510p sli and it's damn strong. Aluminum all the way around.

alright thanks m8, just did a bit of digging and found a refurbished T430 for literally half the price of the e460!

Ideapad Y700 $1225

Buy the SSD separately (as you should do anyway)

Quite a few laptops fall under your $1400 demand if you do it that way actually

>Buy the SSD separately
Cheating. Try again.

>he buys components with an arbitrary markup when he could buy them separately for hundreds of dollars less
It's not cheating, it's just being not fucking stupid.

>Buy the SSD separately

Friendly reminder that any Dell Latitude or the XPS 13 are way better than any modern Chinkpad meme machines.

Yup.

Sorry your laptop can't do M.2

Fucking this.
With vi-mode, its basically godlike.
> thumb on trackpad, fingers on h j k l

The P50/P70 are cool. Otherwise yeah you're right.

Except for XPS 13. No trackpoint. Fuck off. All you have going for you is the screen and tiny bezel.

>SATA

Fuck off moron.

Some enterprising chinks put the XPS 13 panel into a Thinkpad X220.

So that's most of the benefit gone already.

>implying you will ever notice the speed difference

Even SATA 2 speeds are plenty.

Except it does. And is 3X faster than your SATA shit.

>PCIe
Enjoy your housefire, throttling, and shit battery life.

This guy here uses a XPS 13. Do you think the lack of a trackpoint hinders him?

Trackpoint is a meme, if you really wanna be such a l33t that you don't want to take your hands of the keyboard for anything you'll just learn the fucking keyboard shortcuts like a grown man.

>laptop for 1225
>shitty sata SSD for 130
>total: 1355

>not just putting up the extra 45 for the ZenBook Pro and PCIe SSD

>not just putting up the extra 45 for the ZenBook Pro and PCIe SSD
But I don't want a me-too macbook clone.

At that point I'd just spring for a Thinkpad P50 with a Xeon instead that would kick the Zenbook's ass.

>SATA

Just kill yourself.

Why?

It's already fast enough that it's not going to be the thing bottlenecking your system.

I don't copy BluRay discs all day. I have no need for faster-than-fast speeds.

But I do compile shit, so the better processor is the better gamble.

Important:
Screen - 1080p minimum, bright, 4:3 would be perfect
Keyboard - Clicky shit not allowed
Trackpoint
Big battery
USB 3.0 and some ports
Ergonomics
CPU and RAM
>Not important:
GPU
Trackpad
Aesthetics
Tightness

>not 3:2
'no'

Okay, I knocked down the CPU (to one still better than 6700) a bit to get NVME.

>can't even afford a house and a car
>in new york
>in any urban center that is actually urban and densely populated
Poor is a mentality, and that's what you're evoking

It's $1500.

Be warned, NVME is still buggy with linux, last time I checked. It's one of the power management problems that have been plaguing skylake laptops, apparently. That was in 4.7, though, and there have been some commits since then I think.

Wow, so it's still half the drive space for more money. You sure showed him.

>lelnovo

>256GB

You using the EPP discount?

I have a 1TB drive I can use already.

>having more than 256GB worth of OS and programs

You play video games, don't you, manchild?

Yep

An anecdote for whatever it's worth: I carry my Air around every day (student) and it's still in basically perfect shape after about two and a half years. (a couple scratches on the bottom, normal wear on the rubber feet, no keyboard or trackpad or hinge issues)
I'm not meticulous about taking care of it, but I do at least use a laptop bag.

That's weird, since I can't log on right now.

Using an old password maybe?

pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

When will the chinks make cool stuff like this?

Shenzen in 2016 is nothing like Akihabara in the 1990s

The Toshiba Chromebook 2 but with the ability to easily install another OS instead of backdoor bullshit/crouton. Seriously, there is little out there better for the price.
>Gorgeous 1080p 13.3" screen
>good keyboard
>m.2 based ssd. (16GB from factory. Type 2242, 250GB is $40 on newegg)
>4gb ram
>HDMI out
>USB 3.0
>microSD slot
>gets close to 14 hours of use on a 3 cell
>$280 brand new. $340 if you decide to get a larger Ssd.

nope, I made sure to check for the new one last time it expired. wouldn't make that mistake twice.
Tried both, too, although I don't really think the canuck one would work for me either way.

its not real but: never

I still want to 3Dprint one and put some laptop innards and a mech keyboard in it.
I even messaged a modeler, but he never mailed me back and I haven't tried to pursue it since.

>m.2 based ssd
M.2 means nothing. It can be either SATA or PCI. Both use the M.2 connector.

What I mean is regardless of sata speed or not, it's vastly superior to the Emmc flash memory offered in many other laptops. Can another laptop be had for sub $300? Of course. But they're usually 15.6" 768p plastic pieces of shit with 2 hours battery life.

The biggest complaint about the Chromebook is usually the soldered storage. Just highlighting it could be replaced if absolutely need be.

why apple hardware is always beautiful on the inside too

Is a Clevo laptop Cred Forums approved?
>gtx 1060 graphics
>i7-6700hq
>MUXED (don't have to deal with cancerous optimus)

>Is a Clevo laptop Cred Forums approved?
>gaymen blingy led laptop
No, it isn't.

>>MUXED (don't have to deal with cancerous optimus)
How is this a good thing? Doesn't it mean you can't switch GPUs without rebooting entirely?

u can use optimus too, but u can also switch to external GPU only(which requires a reboot)

>16:9

Dell announced a refresh for the xps 13 in October, I'll go with that, thanks.

Hello /g
i plan to buy a thinkad x220
for 220€ in France

priceminister.com/offer/buy/237347418/lenovo-thinkpad-x220-4291.html

What do you think about this laptop
i am search i small one th enjoy Debian and Python

What's the matter. Can't afford a Panasonic Let's Note?

do you think it's expensive for a x220 ?

Meh
Not for europe

okey thx

>Arne art
>on my Cred Forums
This is a first

It's posted in retro threads now and then.

bump

>peasant
how ironic.

holy shit dat red sexy af, i wonder if i can find this on ebay

it's just a mockup. the real versions were all black.

I need laptop with good screen (IPS), linux compatible, and fast (at least i5). Is there anything better than X220/X230 for me?

Basically anything recent, since you didn't specify a price.

> Thinkpads
> Basically everything else
> I want to settle it.
No, user, Latitudes/Eliteboooks and other business laptops (I don't know if there's anything comparable) have a great quatily too.

I want to buy a new laptop and you guys have convinced me to get a thinkpad, I don't want to spend anymore than £500, what model should I go for?

the recommended ones if you want one cheap.

Is the Medion Akoya S3409 any good?

I want cheap. Less than for $300 for used or $600 for new.

the cheapest x260 is around that much, and has much better battery life.
worth looking into

figured it out. I have to use chrome for some reason, JS or something.
Interesting that it's required for login...

how shit tier are clevo laptops?

It's called a Sager user.
The fuckers weigh 12lb because they have desktop everything in a fucking laptop. They also have giant fans.

They are shit. Good hardware, shit cooling, shit plastic.
Clevo = Sager.

So, I got the setup for the perfect(enough) laptop.
Buy an X260. Buy a 12.5" LCD panel with good color gamut, eDP connector on the right side, and side rail mounting. the last two are for compatibility.
Put the two together, and you have yourself the perfect laptop.

That image is stupid. It reads like some kid was trying to make fun of older spec hardware, and still made something that at the time would have been orders of magnitude better and tens of thousands of dollars more expensive than anything else available.

Toughbooks, Acer Child Predators, and Acme Portables Netpac are thicc

I have only one thing to say: 51nb's ThinkPad X62.

any normal markets have the mobos yet?

I had a dream last night where I was in an auditorium and the guy to my left was using a really cool retro laptop. Small white block-shaped laptop running Windows XP with classic navy blue background. It was a scrawny nerd. I asked him questions about the laptop, took a picture with my phone, and asked to weigh the laptop with my hands. I was impressed with how chill and trusting the guy was.

I don't have a laptop but I've been thinking recently about what I would value in a laptop. Small, tough build, great battery life, adjustable screen brightness, upgradable parts.

the dream means you're gay.

>the dream means you're gay.
Oh right.