Why can't any company make just one of these...

Why can't any company make just one of these? Give it mid-tier specs and sell it at a premium to cover the costs of a niche device.

Because that's a mechanical piece of shit

It should last long enough for the standard phone cycle.

Bump! I mean is it that hard to develop a phone keyboard?

I'm hoping someone releases a slide-out QWERTY Moto Mod for the Moto Z, pretty sure it's the only way we'll see a non-Blackberry with a hardware keyboard any time soon. I'd even be willing to help fund it on Kickstarter if I had to.

Because most consumers have recognized that software keyboards are better, and the market doesn't care to cater to the 0.00001% of the people too dumb to use one.

I meant with a landscape keyboard. Do you think I would not be aware of the BlackBerry or any other keyboard phones on the market?

Ahh yes a landscape keyboard. So you can read 3 lines of text messages at a time.

Doesn't Blackberry still exist

Why do you think that?

Because no company wants to make what they know will be niche; they want their products to be as widely used as possible. Also, if they up the price to offset it being a smaller production run, people won't buy it because it costs more than this other similarly/better specced phone without the gimmick feature. On top of that, a good chunk of the remaining potential buyers who would be willing to pay for it will have some other reason to automatically reject it.

That phone had a 480x320 screen.

So modern phones will be able to read 4 messages at a time now instead of 3? What an improvement!

Why do you need to see so many messages at the same time anyways?

>tfw no debian G1 to funpost via

Priv user here. The keyboard is kindof terrible. Everything else about the phone is great, but man do I miss my Droid 4 as far as the keyboard goes...

RIP Droid 5

Same

Fuck the haters itt they've obviously never had to ssh from a software keyboard. Its a nightmare

>they've obviously never had to ssh from a software keyboard. Its a nightmare
Fucking this. Christ I hate trying to SSH with my Priv....

K

Actually, I have, and find it less bad than SSHing from a tiny hardware keyboard.

If I make one how much are you willing to pay for it?

>powered with one 18650 rechargeable battery, not included
>fold out keyboard
>1080p screen
>5 inch form factor
>LG G3 cpu/gpu spec wise equivalent
>3GB RAM
>8GB internal space
>microsd 200gb expandable (not included)
>true google experience, no bootlocker crap or skin crap
>AT&T/T-Mobile (GSM style) networks only

What about for the Google Ara phone that was announced before the new Moto?

Is that the mytouch slide? I had two different iterations of that phone, both were massive pieces of shit.
Shame considering the keyboard was basically the exact same as the one used on the sidekick.

Wait, what phone do you have? You've never had a phone screen bigger than 5 inches have you?

I have a Nexus 6P. 5.7" diagonal. There's plenty of real estate in landscape mode, especially with the pixel density you get.

It's badly fucked by websites mainly who put stupidly thick header bars at the top or some "do you mind cookies" message across the bottom. But that's a fault with shitty web designers, rather than the screen.

Otherwise as a pure terminal screen, if there was a 6P with a slide-out keyboard like the Motorola Droid did? It would be fine.

But wait, I'm explaining this to some user on Cred Forums. What hope is there for actual discourse.

My old Droid 4. Also having to resize photos taken with my phone to post on here is really fucking annoying... Damned 4K meme taking up too much space...

Ara is canceled.

My tears will rust a thousand circuit boards.

Do you and the others realize how cheap bluetooth keyboards are? This one is $13 Amazon Prime.

what's fucked up is companies would rather do this instead of a real phone with a damn landscape keyboard

>having to carry around two devices instead of one
No thanks.

Then use your 3D meme printer and make yourself a case that holds both. A phone with a pull out keyboard is two devices held together with plastic and a thin wire.

>>powered with one 18650 rechargeable battery, not included
>putting an 18650 in a phone at all
>even thinking that it might be a good idea to put an 18mm thick battery in a phone
Now don't get me wrong, I don't care much for muh super thin phones, and 18650 is awesome.
But sticking an 18650 in a phone is in no way practical, and no matter how hard you try, it never will be.

0/10 would not pay for

The reason that is because it would a lot more feasible for a one man operation to make the phone.

Software keyboards aren't better in any way except they don't physically take space.

The screen and RAM are good but 8 GB is too little, it should be 32 GB. Some programs won't move to microSD card.

I personally would accept a screen that's closer to 6" than 5" but 5" might give a broader audience. I'm not your target audience anyway since I'm not from the US and there's no AT&T or T-Mobile here. Also it would have to have a working 4G.

As for the price I would say 600 euro (or dollars). That's what my previous phones usually were. Maybe more if it's really good but shouldn't go much over 700. Also waterproofing would never hurt when it comes to mobile devices but it might get tricky.

This discussion topic honestly does not warrant the level of hostility that you are displaying.

>Software keyboards aren't better in any way except they don't physically take space.
Well that's one way.

>But sticking an 18650 in a phone is in no way practical, and no matter how hard you try, it never will be. This type of form factor with the keyboard sliding out from under the display.

Your right, I just thought my idea was dismissed out of hand.

Being more feasible for one man to produce doesn't make it feasible as, you know, a phone.
18650 is just too bulky for the form factor. Even the ancient Windows Mobile pocket PC phones with keyboards (HTC TyTN, for one) wouldn't fit an 18650 if you gutted them.

>A phone with a pull out keyboard is two devices held together with plastic and a thin wire.
This would be the most retarded thing I've heard today if my boss hadn't been going on about some super extreme creationist bullshit today saying that Alexander the Great and Marco Polo fought dinosaurs.

Why can't you just gesture type? It's faster and doesn't use both of your hands.

I swear people of your kind are the biggest autist to keep making these kind of threads.

I really wish I could get E7 with modern internals and Android. The build quality, keyboard and keyboard opening mechanism were far superior to HTC Desire Z but shit OS and slow CPU really gimped it.

Software keyboards are worse because the take up space on my screen

blackberry develops mid-end qwerty now, dunno how it will turn out but if it won't be complete and utter shit, i'll definitely buy one

>used qwerties for my entire life
>switched to full touch half an year ago
>hey, it's not that bad
>at some point i realized i stopped responding to e-mails on the go, stopped chatting on communicator, basically i stopped doing anything that requires more than one line of text input

fuck, or i'll even buy the priv if i'll find a good deal. I'm not really poor, but priv is retardedly expensive, it just feels bad to drop $500 for used smartphone (i don't even consider it new. what, $700?)

that thing had the best slide-out mechanism. i loved that hinge

when it died i switched to a motorola droid 4 which lasted me 4 years before the backlight shit itself

i'm now on a galaxy s4 with pic related as a case

holy shit
is it anyhow comfortable? how is quality? Is it even remotely as good as Droid 4 keyboard?

mine was actually branded so it isn't quite pic related

comfortable to hold, though there's not a lot of weight in the keyboard itself so you'll need to get used to it

build quality is pretty great. feels durable enough, anyway

the keyboard itself, however, is not as nice as the droid 4 or desire z's

it was like $20 though so i can't really complain